Shradow

Borderlands 3

It's finally time for the next entry in this amazing loot shooter series. I'm super excited to see so many returning characters, including an older Tiny Tina and even characters from Tales of the Borderlands. I sure hope Krieg is still around, he was my favorite in BL2, and I wonder if Rhys returning will mean the Handsome Jack AI will as well.

Nah, Krieg's mask is different and the body size and shape don't match up. I think that first shot is meant to show that even Psychos are joining the Calypso twins' weird cult.

Edited by Shradow

Good point... I’m really curious to find out more about the Calypso twins... such intriguing characters. Ones a siren and the other seems to be like a parasite who can steal siren powers, which is I think what happens to Lillith near the end of the trailer when she loses her siren tattoos

Not gonna lie, I have concerns after watching the trailer.

I'm happy this is getting made. It's been a long time since any Borderlands content, and I hope that the time they took has lead to a very polished and well-made game, but as for the concerns that the trailer did not alleviate:

- Borderlands 1 and 2 are both incredibly repetitive and sloggy games, and while this gives them that coveted "Wow! Look at how much time you can sink into these games!" medals that so many people (for some reason) place above so much else, it also lead to them being games that were often quite mediocre for me. Not bad, but never great. I hope future press shows how much different 3 is going to be, because at the moment it doesn't look like much more than "more Borderlands 2". I'm not, frankly, quite interested in another large collection of fetch-quests and long walks across stark, empty wastelands with nothing but little wads of enemies here and there. I want Borderlands 3 to be an actually great experience, not an experience, like 1 or 2, that was really nothing more than "Well hey, it's a decent way to burn some time."

- The writing. Sweet genius the writing. Let me put it this way: when Borderlands 1 and 2 set out with a serious mood to tell a serious story with proper characterization, it was GOOD. In fact, it surprised me on multiple turns and my best memories on both games is when they stopped trying to tell jokes and said "Okay, this is where shit goes down." 1 and 2 had some genuinely great moments when they did that, and even managed to evoke some feelings. But when the games try to be funny? Holy shit it's bad. Insufferably bad. "I'm turning off the dialogue" bad.

Don't get me wrong, I like some good peepeepoopoo jokes now and then, but when the jokes are nothing more than "it funny because she fat" or "it funny because he incesty southerner", it's just... shallow, and actually not funny. No, I'm not saying "It's not funny because it's insulting". I don't care about that with humor. I'm saying it's not funny because it just isn't funny. Their comedic writing has been just some of the shittiest I've ever seen, and the trailer only leads me to believe they haven't learned a thing since 1 or 2. Well, okay. That's a lie. I did notice that they barely spent any time paying attention to Claptrap, and he didn't even dab or anything during the trailer. THAT impressed me. Hopefully he stays quiet during the whole game.

That box art is fucking sick.

I was initially mad about the Epic Store exclusivity, but after talking about it with my friends I'd forgotten that they're mostly console players, so I'll just get it on PS4 with the rest of them (we had played BL2 together on PC which is why I figured I'd be getting BL3 on PC as well at fist). I typically don't play shooters on console, but this isn't a competitive FPS or anything so it'll be fine, and I did play the first two on both console and PC already.

I'm gonna play Amara because I wanna punch stuff with those Zenyatta arms.