cr47t

[Discussion] On the state of NCM vs YCM

I dont know about you guys but I kinda miss when we were one unified site and weren't split into two groups. I know some of you kinda thought it was neccesary to revitalize the community but maybe if ownership of YCM had switched hands it would have worked out better without fracturing the community into the old guard and the new kids on the block? I understand that we have more active mods on here now, and that's a wonderful thing. But the original unifying topic and identity of the forum - Yugioh - seems to have been lost in the process. And what of the other forum, YCM, which may have retained it along with it's rich history? Who knows what decay it's going under, and I would hate to see it go under, literally (in terms of the site dying literally) or figuratively (under a severe drop in quality to become the next cesspool of cringe).

I want to hear from all of you people who have switched over from YCM to NCM. Was the split worth it? What can or should be done to repair the damage?

Definitely worth it for me. Had we not, I wouldn't have been able to join the MHA RP. ?

That being said, regardless of how necessary/unnecessary it was, the fact that most of the active users from YCM willingly moved here and are now more active here than on YCM should say enough. Any of us can just go back, but for the most part we didn't. Hence why we remain "divided." If there's any chance of reunion, it would be from an ownership change to someone more responsible, reliable, and active with the users, but for all we know YCMaker will not hand it over so easily. It's possible, but not likely. That being said, I go where the majority of the community goes, so I have no preference for the platform itself.

I have no desire to go back to YCM.

YCMaker is insultingly hands off, it took a month to fix the site after it went down, and the site remains dysfunctional in various ways because we didn't have an admin who could fix things when they popped up. Issues kept cropping up and overlapping with each other, YCM isn't worth it.

I've found the new site much more palatable between that and some other factors that I'm going to keep to myself. Personally, even if someone did manage to buy YCM off YCMaker, I don't think I would return at this point. I've been more active here then I have been on YCM in ages. I still believe this was the correct decision, and I don't care if YCM withers away.

You seem to be rather misinformed. As I understand, the move wasn't meant to revitalize the community; the community itself was fine. It was because everyone had finally had it with a borderline-nonfunctional site and an admin who claimed to care but didn't put in the effort to fix anything besides the site going down, and was more concerned about getting ad revenue than the site making it. There's a lot I could say about YCMaker in particular, but that's not what this thread is about, so I'll skip over that rant.

If ownership of YCM had been shifted to someone capable of, and more importantly willing to do their duties as administrator, this split would have probably never happened. It's unfortunate that some of the community has been split off as a result of this move, but I don't believe that loss outweighs the benefits of having a new and functional site with an admin that gives a damn. As for the site's identity as a YGO site, Neo was never meant to be such a thing as far as I know. CC was already a struggling section even before the split mind you, which doesn't help much.

But none of that answers the critical question: Was the split worth it? Absolutely. Sure we lost a few community members who wanted to stick to the old website, not to mention our post and rep history, but the issues with the old site ran pretty deep. Even if YCMaker put in the effort to fix the site, it wouldn't be an overnight job. Fixing the "damage" is an interesting topic though. We'd need the aforementioned repairs to YCM as a website for one, and likely a new site owner, since the constant downtimes and apathetic admin were massive parts of what led to Neo being made in the first place. Mending the bridge between the communities here and there, meanwhile, is probably an exercise in futility, at least while we're on separate websites.

QUICK EDIT: It should also be noted that, as CowCow said, the community isn't that split. There's a considerable overlap between the regulars of each site, though the members who exclusively stick to one or the other seem to have their heels dug pretty deep on staying in one place.

Edited by Yui

There is barely a split, IMO. Most of YCMers are in NCM already, and those who aren't, they are barely active, if at all, in YCM anyway.

I don't regret the split, I'm happy the shift was done and we finally became independent from YCMaker and his non-reliability. I don't really see any damage done.
If anything, what NCM is missing is newcomers who find YCM but not NCM, but if they really cared to stick around, they should be able to find their way here, and yet they don't, so there is barely any loss there.

Edited by A Crap Guide to CC

The website is nothing more than a receptacle for the people on it to me. As long as the receptacle is properly-shaped, I don't care if it's YCM or NCM or NHS. With that in mind, the split was worth it because the old receptacle was leaky and getting worse every day. Now that we're independent, instead of relying on an admin who's always out buying milk, the receptacle responds to the people in a way that make sit easier for them to bring out their personalities.

Also, the "split" wasn't really a split so much as us running out of a burning building before it came crashing down. The people are still here, including some newbies, and that's all I care about.