Sign in to follow this  
Zai

Pokemon Atlas [R-16/IC]

XRECkxm.png

The voice of Roger Parsons narrates.

Everyone has a dream that fills their heart; a journey they must take, a destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. This is the world of pokemon. Here, pokemon and humans live in harmony. Some keep pokemon as pets, while others, known as pokemon trainers, compete with them in amazing contests of skill and strategy. Whether they battle, perform, race, or compete, all trainers and their pokemon hope to one day be the best, and become pokemon masters.

This dream burns brighter than most in the hearts of five young people. Emile Birou, Trey Joule, Olivia Fournier, Jin Takenaga, and Kahurangi, all beginning their journeys as pokemon trainers at the same time. As they each make their way to Cherrygrove city, none of them realize that their destinies are intertwined, or that they're in for the adventure of a lifetime.

BGM

"Hey bro. You told me to call you when I got here, soooooo...." Trey Joule leaned in toward the vidphone's screen so that Volkner could hear him more clearly. The pokemon center was extra lively this morning, between the usual trainer traffic and all of the TIP participants who had arrived to pick up their GPS spikes from the MapCo representative. The background noise wasn't helping the already shaky reception from Sunnyshore City.

"Wow, I'm kinda surprised you actually remembered. The regional ferry ride wasn't too bad was it?"

"It was pretty smooth. We even got a good view of Alto Mare when we crossed the lagoon."

"You should stop by there when you get a chance. Its a really cool town. Oh, forgot to tell you! I told Jas you were coming and so she put together a little care package for you. Its in your PC box."

"What?! Duuuude you told her I was coming to Johto?" Trey groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Its not like I was gonna keep it a secret from her. Besides, she's gonna see you in Olivine eventually anyway."

"Ughhh duuude this is so lame. Its bad enough I have to battle your girlfriend for a gym badge in the first place. The least you could do is save me from the big sis act."

"Sorry, no can do pipsqueak. I'll tell her you said thanks for the gear though."

"Yeah, yeah. You do that."

"There's a little something from me in there too, by the way."

"That's not like you. Did she rope you in too?"

"Nahh, Its just a little present to commemorate your journey. You gotta promise me something though."

"What's that?"

"You can't open it until you've earned your first badge. Deal? It'll ruin it if you do."

"Sure, sure. I'll leave Jasmine's stuff in there with it to keep it some company."

"Trey come on get over it- oh crap the Gym's got a challenger. Hey I've gotta go."

"Don't sweat it Volk I'll make sure I thank her myself when I get to Olivine. Don't make it easy for 'em ok?"

"Not a chance. And hey you better not lose to Jasmine. It'll make us look bad."

"Yeah sure whatever. Catch you on the flip side." With that, Trey hung up, and turned back around to face his cyndaquil, who'd been sitting on the bench behind him, listening intently. "Well Ollie, we're officially on our own. You ready to go do Johto?"

"Quiiil!"

"That's the spirit bro. We've got our stakes, so all we needa do is get everything squared away and hit the road!" Trey paused, craning his neck to follow a cute girl with a skitty for a moment. "Couldn't hurt to get acquainted with the locals a bit first though. Maybe ask about the sights? Whaddya think?"

"Qui-Quiiiiil!" Ollie nodded in the affirmative, though really he was just eager to do something other than stand still. If he was lucky, they might even find themselves a battle before they left town.

"I like this city; How about you, Wisteria?"

The thin young man sat beneath an Apricorn tree, having gone outside the Pokemon Center to get some fresh air. His freshly obtained Budew sat beside him, basking in a ray of sunshine. She was settled into the grass contentedly, a gentle smile across her face. She let out a soft "Buuuud," of agreement. 

Jin chuckled lowly, leaning over on his side closer to his Pokemon. "Do we really have to leave yet, you reckon? We could just stay here another day?" Wisteria let out a loud chirp of agreement. Jin laughed, reaching down and picking up the Pokemon. "Afraid not... We've got work to do, ya know?" Wisteria frowned as her position was disturbed, looking miffed, but quickly settling into Jin's arms in a new position of comfort as he went back into the Pokemon Center.

"Now, where was the spike handout..." he asked himself, looking through all the hubbub. "It's gonna take forever to- Wisteria!"

The Budew had hopped out of his arms, and was now hopping through the feet of the various trainers in the building, bobbing up and over feet and happily calling up to them, the Pokemon looking even more diminutive than she already was among so many people. 

"Wisteria!" Jin struggled to make his way through the crowd, almost tripping several times as he tried to get closer to his Pokemon.

"So this is Cherrygrove..." Olivia said with wonder in her voice, looking out one of the windows of the Pokemon Center. It wasn't as pretty as her beautiful city, but it had its own charm that Olivia couldn't help but appreciate. Cerbi was next to the girl, excitedly taking in the scenery next to his trainer. "It sure is beautiful in its own little way. Ain't that right, Cerbi?" She said, rubbing Cerbi's head as the Houndoom let out a happy bark. Olivia let out a happy sigh, before moving away from the window. She took a glance at the crowd that had gathered around her - so many trainers just like her. She wondered how many of them where out here for the first time like her, and if any of them wanted to be her friend. The thought of going on an adventure with a group of friends was exciting! Maybe she'd even meet a boy and find love on the battlefield. She wasn't banking on it, but it would be super romantic.

Her train of thought was diverted, however, by a small Bedew that had found itself near the girl's feet. The small bud was calling up to her, and she couldn't resist. "Awwww, you're so cute~!" She said, placing her hands on her cheeks. She started moving towards it, reaching down to pet the small bud Pokemon. "Are you lost little guy?"

Cerbi, meanwhile, was giving the little plant a dirty glare as it seemed to catch the attention of his trainer. How dare this little runt come up to his precious Olivia like that? He was ready to fire off an Ember at the little weed, although he stopped when he realized he couldn't get a good shot at it due to the table and Olivia being in the way. The Houndour instead snarled a bit, annoyed by the whole situation.

"Ah, a beautiful day, isn't it Roc?" Emile said to the bird perched on his glove.

"Arrrrch!" The Archen cawed to his master, enjoying the breeze. 

"So, what should we do first?" He pondered out loud as he checked the map of the region, which he updated on his way here. And then it hit him. And by it, I mean Roc slamming into his face. 

"Oww! Stop trying to go for pastries! We talked about this." He complained. What in the world was he doing? He turned around to find Roc flying to a small bakery not to far from the Pokemon Center. Unfortunately, he was about to slam into a man with blonde hair and a black stocking cap with a 9 on it. 

"Oh no you don't!" Emile said as he used his Poke ball to return Roc to him, and then ran over to the man who had almost been hit by his bird. "Oh my gosh, I apologize for my bird. He can get unruly at times." He stuck out his hand. "My name is Emile." He said, looking into this man's amber colored eyes, and wondered what lays behind them. 'Probably a brain.' Emile quipped to himself as he waited. 

“We’ve arrived at Cherrygrove City! We will be ready for disembarkation shortly.”

Kahurangi turned back from the tinny speaker of the Hoenn boat and back towards harbor as the ship closed into its dock. The familiar, salty spray of the sea slowly made way for the sweet and heady smell of cherry blossoms, which drifted from the countless fluffy pink trees that lined the streets. The sun cast warm light onto the city in between fluffy white clouds, making the water of the sea and the river glitter like sapphires. Over the dimming sounds of the waves, the din of a crowd of excited Pokemon and their trainers could be heard, likely the other trainers drawn to the city by MapCo’s exploration project. 

Rangi disembarked the boat as soon as the gangplank was set down, only to have to regain his balance once he set foot on dry land. Having spent most of his life living on the ebb and flow of the sea, walking on solid ground was always a jarring experience. Even after taking a minute to regain his balance, his steps were still a little unsteady as he walked towards the bustling Pokemon Centre that towered over its surroundings. 

Passing through the crowd, Rangi was almost dazzled by the sheer size of the Pokemon Centre, which dwarfed the Pacifidlog Pokemon Centre.

“Wow...And Cherrygrove isn’t even the biggest city in Johto! I wonder how big they can get,” he said to himself as he stared wide eyed at the massive building. He was so taken by the magnitude of the building that he almost missed the distinctive whine of his Pokeball discharging its passenger. When he turned to look at his belt, he saw the distinct round outline of his traveling companion bouncing his way behind the Pokemon Centre.

“Poro! Where do you think you’re going?!”

Giving chase, Rangi dashed around the Pokemon Centre to see that his Wailmer had found a comfortable pond to soak in.

“Hey! I told you we could relax after! Get back here!”

The Wailmer gave off a huff in response, slowly rotating as he floated in the still water of the pond.

“Don’t make me climb in there and take you out myself!”

Poro responded defiantly by turning away and turning into his back to warm his belly.

Rangi grumbled as he took off his backpack and sandals, leaving them on the pier before diving into the pond himself. In a moment, he had reached his obstinate companion, who continued to sunbathe. With a sigh of resignation, Rangi pushed Poro back to shore. 

“Ok Poro, you had your fun. Time to go.” Rangi said as he attempted to put Poro back into his Pokeball. However, the beam of red light recoiled from Poro as he grunted and shook free from the Pokeball’s influence. With another resigned sigh, Rangi collected his things, then pushed Poro from behind, rolling him into the Pokemon centre.

"Jeez... she really went all out didn't she." Trey had spent the last few minutes going through the large cardboard box that had materialized out of his PC item storage. It was filled with various things from Jasmine: potions, full heals, an escape rope, even oran and tomato berries for Ollie (how thoughtful of her!), but what really stood out was the badge case: red-orange in color (Trey's favorite), but clearly made from some kind of high quality, durable metal. It contained foam cutouts for storing each of Johto's eight gym badges, and was emblazoned with the symbol of the Pokemon League on its hinged lid. Trey had never seen one like it before; the ones carried by Sunnyshore Gym challengers he'd met were usually blue plastic things with covers that slid off. Jasmine must have had it custom ordered from the Johto league, or Arceus-forbid made it herself with some of her Steelix's alloys. It was so nice he almost felt embarrassed about carrying it. Gym leaders certainly didn't do things by halves, did they?

"Guess we really do owe her big time, huh Ollie?" Trey said, looking down at his partner who was currently in the empty box, half eaten berry in his paw. "Well, we should get going. Finish up your snack and lets book it." The Cyndaquil nodded, shoving what was left of the Tomato berry into his mouth and hopping up onto his trainer's shoulder, using the bench he'd been sitting on as a springboard. Trey picked up the box, tossed it in a bin, and made his way toward the door.

They hadn't made it very far out of the pokemon center when Trey caught sight of something in his peripheral vision. He turned just in time to catch a glimpse of a flying pokemon diving straight at his head. Reflexively, Trey closed his eyes and ducked down, which threw a surprised Ollie off his shoulder, landing the poor Cyndaquil on his back in the dirt. After a few moments however, having felt no impact, Trey looked back up to find a boy about his age looking at him instead.

"Oh my gosh, I apologize for my bird. He can get unruly at times." He stuck out his hand. "My name is Emile."

Without hesitating at all, Trey grabbed the hand, gripping it firmly, and shook it. "Name's Trey. And that's Ollie." He said, gesturing to his partner, who's back was now alight with flames and who was definitely not very happy.  "Nice to meetcha. What kinda bird is he?" For a moment, Trey's attention was drawn back to the pokemon center, specifically the sight of another guy rolling what had to be a substantially lazy wailmer through the doorway, but then an angry jab to the back of his calf brought his attention back.   "Dude, Ollie, I get it bro, sorry for throwing you off, but next time hang on a little tighter and you won't wipe out." Ollie crossed his front paws over his chest and let out a "Qui!" that passed for a cyndaquil version of a "hmph".

Wisteria moved from side to side, alternating between balancing on one leg, then the other, then back again. When Olivia bent down to pick her up, she bounced up happily, taking advantage of her lowered height to jump on top of her head. The Budew quickly lost her balance, teetering to and fro with no arms to help right herself. She fell off and directly onto the snout of the Houndour, who she had seemed blissfully unaware of a few moments before. 

Wisteria fell from Cerbi's face to the ground, stuck on her back like a Squirtle, waving her nub feet uselessly in the air as she was unable to right herself. She let out a cry of frustration mixed with sadness, one that drifted over the crowd to Jin's ears.

"Wisteria?" he asked, turning his head over to see the snarling Houndour. "Oh geez," he breathed, trying to ford his way through the Trainers and make his way to his Pokemon. But his way was blocked by the biggest Pokemon he had ever seen, as Poro was rolled directly in his way.

"EEEEEH?" Confused and surprised by the sudden arrival of the Wailmer, his loud reaction quickly turned to wonder. "Whoah, what Pokemon is that? That's gotta be the biggest one here!" He turned to Rangi, eyes wide. "What kind of Pokemon is this? Is it a Water type? How'd you get him to agree to rolling around on land so-" He then remembered what he was doing and defaulted back to worry. "Hey, wait, I gotta get Wisteria! Wisteria!" And he darted to and fro, trying to find a way through the Wailmer and the crowd to reach his Budew. It was not the easiest activity.

As Cherie played with Wisteria, the small Budew jumped on top of her head. "Hey!" She said, with a small giggle, as the Budew fell from her head and in front of Cerbi.

Cerbi had just about enough of the little twerp, giving the small bud a nasty growl as it landed on his snout. The Houndoom went for a bite, but missed as Wisteria fell and landed on her back. The Houndoor's lips curled into a sinister grin, flames starting to form around its teeth as it prepared to get rid of this pest. Before he could do that, however, something grab him by the snout, the fires extinguishing around its face.

"Cerbi!" Cherie scolded, wagging her finger in front of the hound as she gave him a stern look. The Houndoom knew better than to growl at his masters command, instead slightly whimpering as he put his head down. Cherie simply sigh, petting the Houndoom as his tail wagged and he let out a pleased pant. The girl turned her attention to the Budew, who was still struggling to pick itself up. She almost wanted to leave it like that - it was so cute! Still, despite how cute it was on the ground like that, Cherie helped out Wisteria by picking the small bud up. "There there, little one..." Cherie said, before turning her head towards what sounded like someone looking for a Pokemon. It didn't take long to add two and two together. "C'mon, let's go get you back to your trainer." She said with a soft tone in her voice, before turning to Cerbi and addressing him in a much more serious tone. "Let's go Cerbi - and no fighting!" The Houndoom simply rolled his eyes as he jumped off of the seats behind Cherie.

One problem came up almost instantly - not only was there a huge crowd of people, but the little bud's trainer seemed to be behind a Wailmer. Irritated, Olivia turned towards the crowd. "Hey! Who's trainer is this Wailer!? I need to return this Budew at once!" Olivia said with a huff in her voice, standing still as she waited for whoever put this gargantuan buffoon in the middle of a crowded center to recall their Pokemon.

"Ah, a Cyndiquil. Hello Ollie." He said, smiling to the fire rat. He then released the pastry-craving bird, making sure to keep a hand on his leg. The Prehistoric Avian immediately cawed at his owner sadly, knowing that he had been caught. "This is Roc, an Archen. However, he is a rare Pokemon from even where I am from. He is a reborn fossil from the Prehistoric Age. This formerly fossilized bird is known to be the ancestor of all birds. He just so happens to have a sweet tooth, which is is why he had been trying to fly to the bakery just behind you. I didn't know back then they had rock candy." Just as Emile finished speaking, he realized what he just said and he cracked a smile and started laughing. "Get it? "Roc" Candy? Huh? Huh?" It took him a moment to catch his breath, and Roc just sighed. He picked it back up from where he had left it. "Sorry, bad jokes are kind of my thing." He noticed that there was a small commotion at the Pokemon Center.  He definitely heard a bark in the swarm of Pokemon. "So, Trey, where are you from and what are you going to do, other than the whole reason we were sent here?" He really wondered what was going on in that Pokemon Center.

As Rangi continued to roll his obstinate companion into the Pokemon Centre, he became quite aware of how much attention he was drawing. His neck crawled with the familiar feeling of being watched by many staring eyes, and Rangi could only give a half-hearted grin as she muttered apologies to those he bumped out of the way. 

“Poro! You happy now? Everyone is staring at us now! Do you want to stop being a brat and get back into your ball?”

Poro responded with a drawn-out, almost exaggerated yawn, opening his gaping maw as wide as it would go, before righting itself, causing the crowd to cry out as they moved to avoid being crushed under him. Satisfied with what he saw as agreement, Rangi retrieved his Pokeball to return Poro, but as he did, he heard some voices from the other side.

"Hey, wait, I gotta get Wisteria! Wisteria!" 

"Hey! Who's trainer is this Wailmer!? I need to return this Budew at once!"

Peeking around Poro, he saw two trainers on opposite sides, both trying to get across the Pokemon Centre. One was a pale and skinny boy carrying a pack that looked almost as big as he was, the other was a high-class looking girl carrying a tiny plant Pokemon and being closely followed by a fiery dog Pokemon.

“Excuse me! Sorry about this, Poro hasn’t got used to his Pokeball yet!” Rangi called out to the trainers before attempting to return Poro. Once again, the red light shone and returned to the ball. With this second refusal, Rangi’s face twisted into anger as he stomped around to face Poro.

“Now what is it!?”

Poro stuck his tongue out and held it out, huffing out a short grunt. Rangi grumbled as he rifled through his pack, retrieving a pile of crushed, yellow pastries. Throwing one onto Poro’s tongue, Poro then withdrew his tongue and let out a satisfied grunt as he chewed it. Seeing his opportunity, Rangi tried the Pokeball again, this time with success, leaving a wide, circle shaped gap in the crowd.

“Sorry! Sorry about that! He’s quite a handful!”

Ah, a Cyndiquil. Hello Ollie." He said, smiling to the fire rat. He then released the pastry-craving bird, making sure to keep a hand on his leg. The Prehistoric Avian immediately cawed at his owner sadly, knowing that he had been caught. "This is Roc, an Archen. However, he is a rare Pokemon from even where I am from. He is a reborn fossil from the Prehistoric Age. This formerly fossilized bird is known to be the ancestor of all birds. He just so happens to have a sweet tooth, which is is why he had been trying to fly to the bakery just behind you. I didn't know back then they had rock candy. Get it? "Roc" Candy? Huh? Huh?

Trey stared back blankly at Emile, the other trainer's joke having made the same impact on him as a bouncy ball would to a wall of concrete. 

"Sorry, bad jokes are kind of my thing. So, Trey, where are you from and what are you going to do, other than the whole reason we were sent here?

"Sunnyshore city in Sinnoh my man. Best beaches in the whole region. And as for why I'm here, that's easy." Trey punctuated his statement by flashing his new badge case.  "I'm here to take on the pokemon league. How about you man?"

"I'm here to take on the pokemon league. How about you man?"

Emile had wondered himself what he was going to do. There were many things he could do, but what was his goal? He would just go in order of his list.

"So, to be completely honest, I have no clue what I am going to do. I might do a little bit of everything. Take on the gym's, catch pokemon on the way, maybe even take on the pokeathlon. As for me, I'm from Nacrene City in Unova."

'Our goals sort of align. Should I battle him, or should I go with him up the road to the gym?' Emile asked himself. 'I think I should challenge him to a battle, and see where it goes from there.

"Hey, if you don't mind, I'd like you to be my first battle in Johto. My Archen versus your Cyndiquil. What do you say?" Emile looked at him with a hopeful expression. Roc cawed excitedly in Ollie's direction, taunting him. "Roc, stop that. Next thing you know he's going to taunt a Tyranatar or a Dragonite." He flicked the Archen as he scolded him. He waited for Trey's response.

Jin sighed with relief when the Wailmer finally disappeared, Wisteria on the other side, looking back at him cheerfully, as if she had no idea of the chaos happening around her. "Wisteria!" He darted forward, seizing his chance to move into the open space Poro had left, his backpack slipping and almost knocking Rangi for a loop as he scooped Wisteria out of Cherie's hands.

"Budew-Budew!" she exclaimed cheerily, nestling into the crook of his arm. 

"Why'd you run off like that? Someone could have stepped on you in here." He looked up to Cherie, looking a touch embarassed. "Sorry about that... I just got her, we're still figuring each other out. Ran off all excited-like." He caught sight of the bad-tempered Houndour, wincing back slightly before his interest was renewed. "Ah, Houndour, eh?" He crouched down to get a better look, not noticing Wisteria sticking her tongue out at Cerbi. He had been breathing hard, face red, but now that his attention was not on his missing Pokemon he definitely looked much calmer. "Fire and... Dark Type, right?" He tilted his head to get a good look at the Pokemon, very interested.

Cherie nodded proudly as the Wailmer's trainer did as she said, although it was taking his sweet time. She was starting to get annoyed, although before she could say anything about it the boy finally managed to recall the Wailmer. "Hmph." Cherie said, turning her head away from Rengi. "Took you long enough." As she spoke, she made her way towards Jin, who was now darting towards her. The Budew cheerfully jumped out of Cherie's arms and into his. It was an adorable site for sure, one that brought disgust to Cerbi.

The Houndoom was about to let out a nasty snarl, when he noticed that Jin was looking at him. Like magic, the Houndoom's face went from disgust and anger to a much more happy demeanor as the spotlight finally was where it needed to be. He was so focused on the attention he was getting, in fact, that he barely noticed Wisteria sticking her tongue at him. "Fire and... Dark Type, right?" Cerbi let out a happy bark as Jin kept his focus on him.

Cherie simply giggled. "That's right." She said, crouching over Cerbi and wrapping her arms around the dog, causing the Houndoom's already excited tail to move at almost alarming speeds. "Ain't he beautiful? I raised him myself!" She said confidently, rubbing Cerbi's chin. She got off of the dog, turning to Jin. "The name's Cherie." She said, her Kalosian accent becoming thicker as she said her name. She held her hand out daintily, waiting for the boy to shake it.

Rangi let out a nervous laugh as the two trainers quickly closed the gap between them. The little bud Pokemon clambered into the boy’s hands, blissfully unaware of the deathly glares from the fire dog. While the bud’s trainer was just glad to get his Pokemon back, the other was a little less patient.

"Hmph. Took you long enough."

The girl had that snobby mainlander attitude that he could never truly like. However, before he gave her a piece of his mind, he held himself back. He accepted his internship to gain experience and learn what he could from this place. Instead of dismissing her, Rangi decided that winning over the mainlanders would be his first challenge of his trip. As the two were introducing themselves, Rangi took a deep breath, put on a big smile and barged in, putting his hands on each of their shoulders.

“Sorry about that confusion my friends. My name is Kahurangi, but you can call me Rangi! If you’re here for the internship, I’d like to make it up to you both. I’ll show you how people of the sea celebrate meeting new people!”

So, to be completely honest, I have no clue what I am going to do. I might do a little bit of everything. Take on the gym's, catch pokemon on the way, maybe even take on the pokeathlon. As for me, I'm from Nacrene City in Unova."

"Hey, if you don't mind, I'd like you to be my first battle in Johto. My Archen versus your Cyndiquil. What do you say?"

Trey grinned. "A battle? Bro, you read my mind. Lets do it!" Ollie perked up, evidently eager to let off some steam.

"Roc, stop that. Next thing you know he's going to taunt a Tyranatar or a Dragonite."

"Just means he's eager. And trust me, he's gonna need the energy. So, shall we get started?" Trey ran his hand up underneath his hat as Ollie walked out in front of him. "Fair warning though, we don't pull any punches."

"Quiiii!" The flames on Ollie's back ignited, and the cyndaquil hunched down on all fours- ready for a fight. Clearly, the type advantage Roc had didn't worry either of them. Around them, pedestrians on the road had begun to notice that a battle was about to start, and though a crowd of onlookers was forming, many kept their distance. Best not to get caught by a stray attack. Soon, they had cleared out of an area about half a block long for the two pokemon to battle in. Trey looked over his opponent for a moment, trying to formulate a plan. An open field like this one would play to the flying pokemon's advantage no doubt, but judging by Emile's attitude and Roc's behavior, Trey guessed that Ollie was the better trained, which meant that they might not be able leverage it as well as they otherwise could have. Perhaps a little subtlety was they way to go....

"Alright. Why don't you two get it started?"

"Fair warning though, we don't pull any punches."

"If you are not going to, then neither will we. Let's 'Roc' and Roll!"

Roc cawed into the air, spread his wings, and took to the skies. All the while, Emile was making a strategy for the fight. Based on what he knew, the best strategy for his Archen was a Rushdown strategy, which was one of the things he trained him to do. If he was fast, Roc could take Ollie out fairly quickly. He was ready to go. He activated the Xtransceiver on his wrist, to record the battle, and called out his first attack for Roc.

"Roc, start this off with a Rock Throw!"

Roc began to circle over Ollie, dropping a rock on him. Emile knew that by forcing him to use projectiles would play to his advantage, but that would be just a rouse. He would batter him with projectiles, and then go in for the knockout with a torrent of physical moves. It just might work.