Sign in to follow this  
The Chayncemaniac

Songs Others Wouldn't Expect You To Listen To

Are there some songs that when they come on during your playlist that would shock people that know you personally? Post them here, let's see those shocking songs! For me there's quite a few, but I'll post the main 3 that shock people when they are around me... keep in mind, I'm known for listening to country music around my friends and family

Funny story about the Melanie Martinez video... I've actually introduced LOTS of friends and family to her through that song

Hard to say. Most people who actually know me know I have a wide variety so not much surprises them.

People who sorta know me basically I've found that everyone is surprised when they find out I like certain things. Oddly it's usually not the same thing. This person is surprised by me liking metal, this one me liking punk, this one me liking country.

My musical taste is narrow (mostly rock from the 90's to the present day, and some video game themes) and I think that practically anything I listen to wouldn't surprise the people that know what I listen to.

Like, the biggest surprise might be that I have dabbed a little in the Euro-rock scene or whatever. Not stuff like Rammstein, they're pretty well-known in the U.S. I mean stuff like

Those subtitles are unreadable tbh.

I remember a while ago my parents saw me watching this and my mom was like "I expected you to have better taste." Pretty sure my dad didn't say anything because he didn't wanna side with me in front of her, but I knew he also liked similar music back in the day. But still, since then I've kept my music taste reserved for people who aren't so judgemental.

Going further down the rabbit hole, stuff like this:

I tend to keep for a more select group of people.

So I don't think even here I made it vocal how I am very much a fairly strong-headed feminist that has some very strong and very..... left stances. That in mind, it shouldn't be as much of a surprise as it is to a lot of people that I am a big fan of this artist:

Kacey Musgraves is a fantastic artist, and while in general I am a fan of country, it's cool to like Johnny Cash or any other super dismal outlaw country song that could fit into Nick Cave's discography with a little less twang, but the biggest surprise comes when it is anything poppy. I think Kacey comes to the biggest surprise because on the surface, a lot of her music sounds like that country sound. (As in real Country, not FGL or Thomas Rhett) But that's never really a bad thing, and when you have songwriting as strong as Kacey consistently delivers, I am never afraid to rave about how great her albums are.  I have brought the Country discussion to the table many times over, and often the first artist I bring up aside from James Eady or Lydia Loveles will be Kacey Musgraves.