Sign in to follow this  
I Hate Snatch Steal

How do I get a better understanding of the current state of the game?

I feel like I'm still only capable of dueling and creating cards at the yugioh gx level where turns were much shorter and things were simpler. What would people recommend for me to get up to speed?

Research which are the most current topping decks in both TCG and OCG format. Once you identify them, read or watch what those decks do, how do they work, in order to win. The Roadoftheking site sometimes publishes articles on combos of the dominant decks, while I can recommend yugitubers Lithium2300 and JadenBR who often showcase duel gameplays of leading or promising decks. Yugituber DSummon also uploads solid analyses on cards, decks, etc., although I have yet to check out all of its latest content.
After that, you can drop on YGOpro or DuelingBook and watch some duels between the highest rated players, who often will clash top tier decks against each other. That ought to give you insight of more realistic scenarios, match-ups and how the top tiers decks deal with opposing top tiers as well as mirrors.