Nyx

Playstyle in Pokémon

Now some of you may think "What do you mean? It's Pokémon." But there are different ways of approaching the game. For example, when I lent one of my games to an old friend, he spent a lot of time grinding and hatching eggs before progressing through other parts of the story. Keep in mind, I'm talking in reference to the main series RPGs on the handhelds, as opposed to spinoffs or Showdown. Do you take a casual approach? Do you like to produce or train Pokémon to be as optimal as you can get them? Do you like to play mainly for the competitive aspect? Or do you like to challenge yourself?

Image result for pokemon dawn gif

I tend to be casual for most normal playthroughs. But I often also do Nuzlockes in which case the way I play has to be different. Mostly just to make second playthroughs and such as different as I can.

I used to be all casual but I really started to get into the whole breeding for perfect IVs and making ideal builds with abilities/moves and all that jazz in SuMo, but even then I still only do it Pokemon that I like a lot. I usually wait until post-game to do that sort of stuff, though, first I want to enjoy the main story. And it's not like I play competitively or anything or even do any multiplayer at all, I just like the act itself of spending the time to build up units I like in games that allow for that sort of thing.

I've never not played Pokemon casually. I'll just plow through it just to move the story along, then once I'm done, I'll do some side stuff and that's it.

Before I had any idea of base stats, let alone IVs, EVs, etc., I played the main stories casually, with favorite or interesting Pokemon I found in the way. Once I became aware of the technical stuff, then whenever I replay a game or get a new one, I now give priority to getting Pokemon that both I like and are decent regarding stats, abilities, etc. and that are accessible relatively early, and stick with them as long as possible to clear the main content, then in the Endgame I jump into breeding, EV training and whatnot. I avoid making it too easy, though, like getting Pokemon I actually don't like for the sake of clearing the content more easily. For instance, there is a tip in RSE of getting a Geodude through Rock Smash to effortlessly beat the Electric Gym leader as is it among the few Ground Pokemon available early game, but I refuse to resort to such strategies.

How I've played Pokemon has changed with time. While I know I once played super casual and just caught whatever Pokemon seemed cool and just trained them, for the longest time (Gen 5) I've always mapped out my teams. Once we get the full spoiler I got, pick my starter, then build a team that tries to have STAB Super Effective attacks against all single types while only using Pokemon from that Gen. I also don't reuse Pokemon I used before unless it is Charizard. I've bent those rules a bit (didn't like Gen 6's only ground type, I don't count Pokemon I used AGES ago), but for the most part that is how I build my team. 

For how I play in game, I'm not sure when I started doing it, but I now have a "no faint rule" where I'd reset if a Pokemon fainted. But the end of Ultra I added in a "play as if it is set battle for important fights" because a LP I was watching at the time was doing so and I'm also pretty sure I wasn't using items in battles. I recommend against this since the Champion battle was miserable and I'm pretty sure I only got away with it because of Aura Veil. I also didn't use EXP Share much during my Ultra play through, but I was using the Refresh bonus EXP. Honestly, Pokemon has a million ways to customize the difficulty. Not sure what I'm going to do for SwSh, but the no faint rule is the one I'm sure will stay.

When I finish the main game I just breed. When Gen 6 dropped the changes to breeding made competitive breeding super easy so I spent tons of time just breeding any Pokemon I like or caught my interest. Eventually I realized I had a HUGE inventory of stuff and started working on a living Pokedex. Since I had a 6 IV Ditto and a Ditto of almost every nature I decided I was going to set those things, but with time I got more obsessive. Eventually I was adding good egg moves, than any interesting egg moves, and ability, Pokeball, and even having it be a record of when the Pokemon evolve. I am finally almost done with this with only 2 Cosmogs (or anything in the line), Marshadow, Poipole, and Stakataka being needed. Getting them is going to suck though since they are all limited in obtainability.