Sign in to follow this  
Tinkerer

Smokescreening? [Mystic Mine]

C/p'd from YCM.  Thought I might as well get feedback from here as well.

So I've loved the idea of running a smokescreen deck for ages.

For those who don't know: Smokescreening is siding in all fifteen side deck cards in order to turn your deck from one thing into something completely different.  It is meant to catch people off guard and make cards that they might have sided in against your original strategy useless.  While it is very interesting in concept, I don't think I've ever seen this idea implemented at all.

That being said, I think the meta's got a prime smokescreen deck waiting in the wings: Mystic Mine.  The burn variant can easily snatch a victory against unsuspecting decks and because of how the deck works, what will be sided in is fairly obvious (Spell/Trap removal).  At that point, you can smokescreen your deck, tossing in an entirely different strategy.

For this to work, 1) The initial Mystic Mine burn variant has to be a bit different in build than some of the ones people have been showcasing (probably more handtraps, probably less super restrictive draw cards - Card of Demise, etc.) and 2) You'd probably need to build your smokescreen deck to be able to work going second.  This second point is the most critical and is the key to securing a match win.

Now this is all just theory.  It seems like the pieces should fit together perfectly, but I don't have any idea what would be a good deck to smokescreen into.  I know MM-Sky Striker is a thing in the OCG, but killing quick with something like Crusadia might be a better way to go.  Anyways, I'd like to test this out maybe on 'pro or something, but any suggestions would be very welcome!

AFAIK Smokescreening tactics did have a bit of relevance in formats not far away. I think it was Sky Strikers smokescreening into Trickstars, and vice-versa.
As you know and state, some Sky Striker build already main Mystic Mine, ad although they don't include burn cards in the side to become a proper smokescreen, they could very well do so. So, IMO your theory doesn't seem to be too far away from being just theory.