LordCowCow

Should the Public Affect the Creators?

So a thought I have been having and wondered people here's opinion on it. Basically...should the general public have a say in what a creator does and if so how much?

Recent examples would be Sekiro, where people complained about a lack of an Easy mode, and the response usually tended towards it being the creator's choice and they didn't have to change things.

And on the other hand there's the Sonic movie where the public's outcry against his design caused the creators to decide to change said design.

The specific examples don't need to be discussed but that's the general idea. What do you all think?

No. It's my content. And if you don't fucking like it I don't give a shit. Move on. The public consensus is not a reason to uproot your work.

I'd say it depends on who's complaining. If a large portion of your target audience is unhappy then you should listen e.g. the Sonic Movie. Though to be fair, you can't make everyone happy. Take starcraft 2 for example: Someone will always be complaining on the official forums about balance or a coop commander's playstyle or something. Gauging the backlash is important so you know when to act.

However if its someone who your not marketing to I'd say ignore them, especially if its due to a desire for political correctness or petty censorship to appease people who your product isn't aimed for. An example from D & D (correct me if I'm wrong since I merely heard about this) is that demons got renamed to some non-sense word and/or re-characterized to appease parents who probably wouldn't want to buy the books to begin with. I see this as outsiders messing with the creator's vision. Using yugioh as another example, the people who complain about pentagrams in spellcaster-type monster's artwork probably wouldn't have purchased the the game to begin with but as result of that censorship you make yugioh less appealing to other potential customers. I feel that yugioh would be more popular and less ostracized by people above middle school age if it had been closer to the Japanese anime and card names instead of censored and poorly dubbed.

I agree with Snatch Steal. You need to balance being responsive to feedback and constructive criticism and not letting internet trolls/politically correct parents censor you. You need to learn to shelf your ego without losing your dignity and look carefully at criticism without being overwhelmed.

...yeah, not much I have to say on this.