Sign in to follow this  
Flame Dragon

Super Mario Maker 2

So, Nintendo dropped a mini direct and we got a ton of info for Maker 2.

Game looks even better than the 1st and that is impressive given that the first was pretty great. I doubt they'd remove outfits since that is one of my favorite things to play with, but I CAN see them cutting it. Either way, I have some ideas for stages and with over 100 built in I'm going to be getting a fair bit of milage out of this.

I never got to play the first and am really considering picking this up...Though I'm not the best at building style games.

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing videos on all the crazy stages people will make.

Something that a couple of channels I watched discussion and analysis on caught... the "Extra Game Styles" PLURAL ... def gonna have at least one more style that is too different from the rest. At least they better with that wording. My hope is SMB2, and it does seem less out there than some others, but they could 2Dify more 3D games somehow.

Oh OIOAJODOIDJWIO(@JJW() Absolutely. Even just what they've shown so far makes it so much more customizable than the first one, and I already played that so much. Like, this is the only game I'll attempt total play time calculation on the Wii U, and the around 435 hours far surpasses even my most played 3DS title. And that's still generally leaving the most ridiculous courses to streamers so yeah, I am about to play even less variety of games than I already am again.

Edited by Nico

I know I'm getting another Switch at some point, and this makes it that much more tempting to do sooner. I mean, holy balls, there's just so much new stuff in this.

I'm so ready for Mario Maker 2, huge fan of the first game. Would be fun to share stages here too once the game comes out

We haven't actually started sharing levels, huh? The games been out a bit, I've been having a blast with it, so let's start posting stuff here!

92D MWW 5RF

My first uploaded level, Monty's Airship Armada is live. It's more meant to feel like a real level, focusing on thematics than being particularly hard or anything like that.

I've started making a course, but I would have probably done more if there wasn't so much work being done around the house. I'll definitely check out your course soon, though.

This isn't the one that I originally started making, but I got inspired when I saw the place in motion and figured it was more simple to make. It isn't 3D World because while I would prefer the mushroom trampolines for aesthetics compared to music blocks, you could just climb up the trees and go through the mushrooms at a later point of the level.

5G5 6L8 RFG

I've seen enough stuff based on other series in the first SMM to think it should be fine to upload this, and it is based on Astra Lost in Space.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:09 AM, Kazooie said:

My first uploaded level, Monty's Airship Armada is live. It's more meant to feel like a real level,

Really well put together, but there was a part I thought was particularly too hidden to be needed to win, compared to most real levels. I also thought I would have personally finished it sooner than I did (after I found that area) if it wasn't supposed to be all that hard, but I can definitely see why most people haven't finished it, Mario Maker players be Mario Maker players.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:09 AM, Kazooie said:

We haven't actually started sharing levels, huh? The games been out a bit, I've been having a blast with it, so let's start posting stuff here!

92D MWW 5RF

My first uploaded level, Monty's Airship Armada is live. It's more meant to feel like a real level, focusing on thematics than being particularly hard or anything like that.

Alright, so it's been a while since I've last played a 2D Mario game, so bear with me.

This is pretty difficult. Doable, I'm sure, very chaotic at first but it seems to me that you placed everything in such a way that the player is discouraged to stand still. That's fine and all, but in terms of playability, it can be pretty frustrating. If you ask me, the level's fine without having to unlock the key door and getting the red coins feels like an extra challenge that would lead to an extra reward.

I commend your attention to detail, though. I couldn't finish it, but that's just me.

8 hours ago, Nico said:

This isn't the one that I originally started making, but I got inspired when I saw the place in motion and figured it was more simple to make. It isn't 3D World because while I would prefer the mushroom trampolines for aesthetics compared to music blocks, you could just climb up the trees and go through the mushrooms at a later point of the level.

5G5 6L8 RFG

I've seen enough stuff based on other series in the first SMM to think it should be fine to upload this, and it is based on Astra Lost in Space.

Really well put together, but there was a part I thought was particularly too hidden to be needed to win, compared to most real levels. I also thought I would have personally finished it sooner than I did (after I found that area) if it wasn't supposed to be all that hard, but I can definitely see why most people haven't finished it, Mario Maker players be Mario Maker players.

Not really sure what the objective's for, considering the real challenge is using the note blocks to bounce to the end, but I like the fact that you made it possible to miss the first attempt at destroying all the plants in that room on the first try. The water segment was what made me wonder what the point was, though, as the only way to screw it up is to swim at the koopa the wrong angle and accidently die, but besides that it's pretty simple.

Those note blocks, though, are annoying. You have no choice but to hold down run while you try to time your jumps right to make each gap and clear the bonzais.

Neat concept, could just use a bit more skill placement for the plants to make it more satisfying.

Gonna drop my own level here while I try to fuel up the brain tank

7VG-L1F-WYG

A simple ice level that uses the new icicles that they added.

1 hour ago, Thar said:

The water segment was what made me wonder what the point was

I almost wondered about that myself, but I wanted to make it as thematic as I could. The water is just there for "getting" it and well, same thing for the objective.  While I knew what the actual challenge would be, it is all for foraging. I don't know why I didn't think more with the plant placement and such in the water segment though, since that was done after. Still good to hear read.

I kind of hate myself for actual doing a note block course, but I just couldn't help it once I thought of it.

Edited by Nico

19 hours ago, REP said:

7VG-L1F-WYG

Ugh, ice levels...

This was pretty clever, though. Nice use of power block placement for the objective. Those icicles can suck my nuts, though. lol

EDIT: Something simple, albeit not practical from a design standpoint... decided to just make a backwards version of 1-1 if anyone wants to check it out:

7YN-6SP-42G

Edited by Thar

I only got this game last Tuesday, so I haven't done too much. But this stage I was proud of:

F80-QJT-1XG

Took over an hour to make and is the most creative stage I've made so far.

Also, real quick: Don't go in the orange pipe unless maybe you've got the star.

On 7/13/2019 at 11:10 PM, REP said:

7VG-L1F-WYG

Ah. Until I just made another course, I completely forgot to say. I actually found this one by checking you out as another person that beat Birb's course (before you posted it here), and really enjoyed it!

On 7/15/2019 at 10:42 PM, Nyx said:

I only got this game last Tuesday, so I haven't done too much. But this stage I was proud of:

F80-QJT-1XG

Took over an hour to make and is the most creative stage I've made so far.

Also, real quick: Don't go in the orange pipe unless maybe you've got the star.

I'd say the star is kinda pointless. I tried to follow that tip, but couldn't really get through there. Or maybe I just didn't try as much as I do on some expert sections at times, but I don't remember it being enough to get you all the way through the spikes with just it. Boot & Flower did the trick, but dunno if it was intended that you can get as many power ups as you want if you choose the boot first...

This level... took a few hours for sure, but definitely spanned a couple weeks at least thinking of how I could make it work, making a bit at a time... Based on a boss from Blaster Master Zero 2... coincidentally also on a planet our heroes travel to. 

YH6 9S6 BGF

One thing was I focused on appearance more than finding a way to actually make the giant boss move, even a little, but I know it still doesn't look that good. Another is that I wish I could use checkpoints, but I heard that you can't with clear conditions (didn't try it, though). I had to make it something to do with beating the little guys within the big one, since that is the whole point of the boss. This is where I think even with the compromises I made to try to make it easier, it might be ridiculously hard, given the way I thought of making the fight accurate.

Another section though, I compromised again with the donut blocks, but I realized they actually lead pretty accurately to where you might use the hover ability, and they're pretty much necessary if I wanted an accurate placement of everything else in that section.

I was thinking of seeing if I can upgrade my Alice stage, given the more options we have (especially the fact that I can make water on only a small part of the stage, I can more accurately add the scene with water). I'm most sad that the costumes are gone because I can't use the Pikmin to depict the shrinking, and there is no Tiny Mushroom! I wonder if there's something that can be done for that... if I really wanted to and thought hard, it might take just a lot of space and look a lot less elegant. 

Edited by Nico

On 8/9/2019 at 11:57 PM, Nico said:

I'd say the star is kinda pointless. I tried to follow that tip, but couldn't really get through there. Or maybe I just didn't try as much as I do on some expert sections at times, but I don't remember it being enough to get you all the way through the spikes with just it. Boot & Flower did the trick, but dunno if it was intended that you can get as many power ups as you want if you choose the boot first...

The star was meant for the orange pipe. But you have to be frame perfect to get past the spikes.

As for boot, yeah. Getting the other items wasn't intentional. But it does eat up more time that way.

Anywho, made more stages since:

CN9-HB0-70H

Spin to win, baby! Nah, but really it's necessary for this stage.

W2X-WD4-72G

You must have an item on for this one.