Sign in to follow this  
Summer Aix

Ravnica Allegiance Discussion Thread

First MtG thread on NCM by... Aix?

Anyway, anyone have any ideas for cool decks seeing the new cards? I'm not paying attention to any MtG communities right now so no clue what's cool. I play Standard (cuz MtG:A) so new set's pretty exciting, I guess Modern tends to be pretty immobile in terms of changes.

Link to spoiler compilation: https://scryfall.com/sets/rna?order=spoiled

Edited by Aix

Always been a huge Simic fan, so I'm a bit disappointed all they get is Monstrous 2.0. At least it is 2.0, and we get decent cards. Like the mana boost and the flash counter.

Really liking the rest of the set as well. Nice pair of planeswalkers for WB and WU, even if Gruul is a little underwhelming. Lore is looking absolutely amazing though, really hyped for Bolas' wrath in part 3.

wtf aix? fuckit, whatever.

Yeah, set is looking sweet. Definitely going simic, and it will be my girlfriend's first prerelease with rakdos.

As for gruul being underwhelming, I agree that domri is pretty meh, but they have some of the best commons in the set. Hasty trampling hill giant wtf

EDIT: adapt isn't just monstrous. The fact that it can be reused by removing the counters is actually bonkers relevant, especially with the Lizrog hopping about. I agree that the mechanic is very simple, but I wouldn't consider that a fault. It has really interesting gameplay implications (probably the most complexity-inducing of the new mechanics, due to combat interactions) and I'm never going to feel bad about a mana sink in limited.

Edited by (youknowwhoiam)

Huh, I want to play Simic too. Well, I just like the idea of Simic at any rate, being both blue and green and doing weird things.

Is Adapt strong in practice? Which Simic cards stand out here?

8 hours ago, (youknowwhoiam) said:

EDIT: adapt isn't just monstrous. The fact that it can be reused by removing the counters is actually bonkers relevant, especially with the Lizrog hopping about. I agree that the mechanic is very simple, but I wouldn't consider that a fault. It has really interesting gameplay implications (probably the most complexity-inducing of the new mechanics, due to combat interactions) and I'm never going to feel bad about a mana sink in limited.

I dunno, I just found it boring, not necessarily simple. Still, as you say, there's very good mechanics put in place around it, and as I said, it's 2.0. Much better.

1 hour ago, Aix said:

Huh, I want to play Simic too. Well, I just like the idea of Simic at any rate, being both blue and green and doing weird things.

Is Adapt strong in practice? Which Simic cards stand out here?

Galloping Lizard. Restarts Adapt on all creatures you control by removing the counters and boosts himself by twice the number of counters removed. Pr much the best example of how they've made Monstrous good.

----

Arrester's Admonition is very surprising, especially with Dom still in rotation. It's a 3 cost return creatures only, and while the draw can be argued to be slightly easier to get with Addendum, for me it pales in comparison with Blink of an Eye's versatility and wide range of targets. Even after Dom goes out, we still have the M19 one from Amonkhet which is identical to Blink minus the kick option.

6 minutes ago, Dova said:

I dunno, I just found it boring, not necessarily simple. Still, as you say, there's very good mechanics put in place around it, and as I said, it's 2.0. Much better.

Galloping Lizard. Restarts Adapt on all creatures you control by removing the counters and boosts himself by twice the number of counters removed. Pr much the best example of how they've made Monstrous good.

----

Arrester's Admonition is very surprising, especially with Dom still in rotation. It's a 3 cost return creatures only, and while the draw can be argued to be slightly easier to get with Addendum, for me it pales in comparison with Blink of an Eye's versatility and wide range of targets. Even after Dom goes out, we still have the M19 one from Amonkhet which is identical to Blink minus the kick option.

I dunno about Lizrog. It costs so much and just gets Cast Down, you don't have that much mana left to adapt your creatures again after.

Arrester seems bad, I really wouldn't want to pay 3 just to bounce.

I never thought I'd say this, but it kinda sucks that there aren't any advisors in standard right now.

Hey kids.

Pretty excited about the set overall.

• Riot seems pretty strong and there are a number of Gruul cards I want for my Hallar deck (i.e. Ravager Wurm, Rhythm of the Wild, Cindervines).
  • Incubation Druid will be absolutely nutty in that deck too.
  • Emergency Powers seems bonkers strong. I try to keep cards in my decks below CMC 7, but this will have to be an exception for Ephara. Refueling your hand and dropping a big boi is too good.
  • Going to have to build Teysa at some point. Death-harmonicon has too many options: Kokusho will give you like 30 life on dying!

33 minutes ago, (youknowwhoiam) said:

Forget about gaining life with kokusho. Kill yosei and win.

Loop Yosei four times and you lock down a few players. Loop Kokusho four times, and your opponents are at 0.

QED.

I'll not be able to justify buying a Prime Speaker Vannifar so early since its price is so high, but damn, I really wanna pull a copy to build an EDH deck with it. A Birthing Pod commander sounds incredibly absurd.

4 hours ago, Rodrigo said:

I'll not be able to justify buying a Prime Speaker Vannifar so early since its price is so high, but damn, I really wanna pull a copy to build an EDH deck with it. A Birthing Pod commander sounds incredibly absurd.

She is momir vig in drag

3 hours ago, (youknowwhoiam) said:

She is momir vig in drag

Look, he's been through a lot, maybe give him some creative space for once?

Also, I like how cantripy the gruul splits are. And can we talk about how green has access to Stifle now?