Sign in to follow this  
Thar

If you were to make a video game

What genre would it be?
I'd start with a 3D platformer, similar to Crash Bandicoot 1.

What would it be called?
If I'm feeling ballsy, I'd just buy the rights to Crash Bandicoot from Microsoft and make a full-fledged sequel called Crash Bandicoot: Paradox. Simple, yet effective. However, considering that'd be nigh impossible even with a successful business, I'd probably just make something wacky and silly, similar to Rayman.

What would it be about?
Assuming it'd be Crash, the plot would take place after the perfect ending to Warped; the time twister goes haywire and starts blistering the universe with portals leading to various locations throughout time and space, bringing every gem and crystal with them. In order to stabilize it and destroy it properly, Aku Aku sends out the entire marsupial family to gather them. However, as they set out on their journey, Cortex has not forgotten his hatred for Crash as a baby, setting out on his own quest to retrieve the machine and regrasp his grip on the universe.

How does it play?
Seeing that most 3D platformers tend to be laid-back and collectathon-y, this one would be based on stages where the objective is simply to get to the end. These stages would be laid out in a hub world like CTR/NK, with several zones each with its own theme, and every zone has 2 mini-bosses and a big boss. Mini-bosses give you crystals which you need to progress to other zones, while big bosses unlock power-ups that make you more powerful and let you be able to access secret areas.

Like previous games, each stage has a gem upon getting all the boxes. Gems unlock secret doors that lead to bonus treasure, character unlocks, or even challenge levels.

Also implemented are new masks. Aku Aku would, of course, me temporary invincibility. Other masks include one that makes you grow/shrink, another would give you the ability to dive underwater or walk on water, etc. The idea is that you unlock masks to access certain paths and areas in levels that you couldn't during a normal run-through, similar to skull routes.

Also a shit-ton of easter eggs.

Who would you have publish it?
It's hard to say, considering most companies tend to have at least some shade in how they do business. Also it really depends. If anyone's willing to make it as accessible as possible, I'd be down with that, though I'd want to give credit where it's due and have Sony do it, since it's essentially their IP and I don't care what y'all say. And hell, make it a year exclusive to sell consoles, cause why not?

-

Curious to see what others say.

I don't really have anything as detailed as the above so I will just throw in some ideas I had.

One was a crossover of console Metroid/Zelda series with F-Zero were you play as Capt. Falcon in an open world, traveling to different planets and hunting bounties. Although I guess considering his job and setting, the game would be more like GTA.

Another idea is Pokemon meets Monster Hunter in which you get to fight Pokemon in the wild and in real time instead of turn-based, like Breath of the Wild, but seems to me that Pokemon Sword/Shield is already step towards that direction.

Now, if I were to make my own game, I would start with something like Final Fantasy or Ragnarok Online. A 2D MMOPRG-like game with plenty of classes, skills and monsters. If it's internet-based, a major appeal would be to be open to the community and every now and then hold competitions for the submission of cosmetic items, equipment, and even monsters, as long as they are original content of course. That way, the game would cater to spriters, and encourage players to get into spriting hobbies.

For me a 3D hack and slash would be ideal. 

If I theoretically had access to already existing IPs, I'd want a game that plays like The Legend of Zelda, but most of the characters are Mario characters and the protagonist is Daisy.

Regardless if Daisy or not, you'd be able to acquire new weapons, tools, and abilities along your journey as you progress. But if it wasn't the Daisy game, I'd tote alternative endings for the game. Your standard good and evil ending, the good and evil ending you work harder to achieve, two different branching paths, and a seventh ending that I have yet to even fathom.

I only have a somewhat vague idea about this but it's something I've wanted to do for a while.

So I have an RP I'm running, RP Smash. On the surface the idea is Smash Brothers but with RP characters. But it ends up being something...different.

The kind of game I'd like would be a combination of fighting, action/platformer, and life sim.

The idea is that the characters are in a magi-science based world where there's this arena where battles take place. Outside of the arena you'd be able to make your own living space and use earnings from the arena to upgrade it and such. As well as do events that to increase fame, stats, money, and relationship with NPCs

The actual arena would be a 3D fighting game style but there will be various modes. The fighting mode and various challenges that are more akin to platformers or action/adventure games.

There would be items to equip and stats to improve and levels to gain and such.

Not very descriptive I know.

As I side note I also would like an Advance Wars style game but with more fantasy elements and units. Kind of a Fire Emblem game but with gameplay more similar to Advance Wars. With commanders that are actual characters but most of the units are soldiers. (I know there are RTS games like this but I prefer TBS myself)

Advanced issues found

On 6/17/2019 at 11:15 AM, A Crap Guide to CC said:

I don't really have anything as detailed as the above so I will just throw in some ideas I had.

One was a crossover of console Metroid/Zelda series with F-Zero were you play as Capt. Falcon in an open world, traveling to different planets and hunting bounties. Although I guess considering his job and setting, the game would be more like GTA.

It really is unfortunate how buried F-Zero ended up being as a series. Considering how most people only know of it because CF was in Smash, it'd be difficult to revive the series, but with something like this, if done right I reckon it would at least get people's attention.

Advanced issues found

Another idea is Pokemon meets Monster Hunter in which you get to fight Pokemon in the wild and in real time instead of turn-based, like Breath of the Wild, but seems to me that Pokemon Sword/Shield is already step towards that direction.

Now that would be dope. I'd be very interested in seeing how each Pokemon is implemented as well as how trainers fight them. Would it be just you vs them with weapons or would you send out Pokemon and it'd be like FF13 style?

Now, if I were to make my own game, I would start with something like Final Fantasy or Ragnarok Online. A 2D MMOPRG-like game with plenty of classes, skills and monsters. If it's internet-based, a major appeal would be to be open to the community and every now and then hold competitions for the submission of cosmetic items, equipment, and even monsters, as long as they are original content of course. That way, the game would cater to spriters, and encourage players to get into spriting hobbies.

That's always fun, especially with open-source 3D games with people who know how to use Blender. Custom items are always interesting to just browse through and see what can be done. Pixels, though, have that type of aesthetic that takes quite the effort or lack thereof to make it look bad, so that'd be interesting. In terms of the game, though, would it be something like Realm of the Mad God? Cause that's the first thing that comes to mind.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:31 PM, Nyx said:

For me a 3D hack and slash would be ideal. 

If I theoretically had access to already existing IPs, I'd want a game that plays like The Legend of Zelda, but most of the characters are Mario characters and the protagonist is Daisy.

Regardless if Daisy or not, you'd be able to acquire new weapons, tools, and abilities along your journey as you progress. But if it wasn't the Daisy game, I'd tote alternative endings for the game. Your standard good and evil ending, the good and evil ending you work harder to achieve, two different branching paths, and a seventh ending that I have yet to even fathom.

Imagining a Mario game playing like Zelda is pretty hype. What it lacks is the open-world feel, which Odyssey tried to do but they're separated and themed, so it still feels a bit disjointed. But just to have a seamless world where Mario can just explore, do missions, and level-up would be pretty exciting.

Advanced issues found

40 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

I only have a somewhat vague idea about this but it's something I've wanted to do for a while.

So I have an RP I'm running, RP Smash. On the surface the idea is Smash Brothers but with RP characters. But it ends up being something...different.

The kind of game I'd like would be a combination of fighting, action/platformer, and life sim.

The idea is that the characters are in a magi-science based world where there's this arena where battles take place. Outside of the arena you'd be able to make your own living space and use earnings from the arena to upgrade it and such. As well as do events that to increase fame, stats, money, and relationship with NPCs

The actual arena would be a 3D fighting game style but there will be various modes. The fighting mode and various challenges that are more akin to platformers or action/adventure games.

There would be items to equip and stats to improve and levels to gain and such.

Not very descriptive I know.

So like, an Action MMO rogue-lite sort of thing? That'd be interesting to try out. I imagine the combat would be something like For Honor or something?

Advanced issues found

40 minutes ago, LordCowCow said:

As I side note I also would like an Advance Wars style game but with more fantasy elements and units. Kind of a Fire Emblem game but with gameplay more similar to Advance Wars. With commanders that are actual characters but most of the units are soldiers. (I know there are RTS games like this but I prefer TBS myself)

I was thinking that too, like after Days of Ruin, a whole new world is developing but as this new society is expanding, secrets of the world are being discovered that humanity has ignored due to a dominant culture of industrial and technological advancement.

My thought was to have this one guy who was badly hurt from the previous war was dying as he crawled up the mountain to make his final resting place, but he stumbled upon a cave that had these strange crystals that gave him the ability to communicate with the resources of the world and use them to reassemble and control the remains of units that have been destroyed.

As he secretly became a master of this ability, he sought to build his own empire by building artificially intelligent commanders that were sent to claim and conquer different territories and recover more ruins to increase the size of their army. As their influence grew, the power that the commanders had eventually made them self-aware of their creator and betrayed him. Even though he could control them, he couldn't control their army and they were well guarded, so he sought for the help of the survivors, which of course ends up being awkward for him after they realize who he was and that he was responsible for everything that was transpiring, so that was an issue but it all works out in the end... then BAM! the guy has control over his army again and now he has no need for their help, oh the humanity!

I think I tried writing a fic for that once but it didn't really take off, surprisingly. Always been a cool idea in my head, though.

18 hours ago, Thar said:

Now that would be dope. I'd be very interested in seeing how each Pokemon is implemented as well as how trainers fight them. Would it be just you vs them with weapons or would you send out Pokemon and it'd be like FF13 style?

IDK how FF13 is, so I looked up some videos of battles. Anyway, I didn't think too far on this idea. Was thinking Pokemon vs. Pokemon but being more Monster Hunter-ish and making the player fight directly and get or craft armor from Pokemon loot, would be much more unique and groundbreaking. Then, it could deploy 1 or 2 Pokemon as assist units, possibly NPC-controlled or perhaps by a 2nd to 3rd player but with limited moves. That way, the endgame wouldn't just be getting Legendaries and controlling them to destroy everything. Plus, the approach allows for non-final stage Pokemon to be of use if, let's say, they each provide different skills to their trainer. For instance, lower stages could provide stat boosting moves for the trainer, while higher stages provide offensive moves, performed by themselves but usable on command. Not to mention there would be less need to make combat animations for all available Pokemon, as the trainer models would suffice.

18 hours ago, Thar said:

That's always fun, especially with open-source 3D games with people who know how to use Blender. Custom items are always interesting to just browse through and see what can be done. Pixels, though, have that type of aesthetic that takes quite the effort or lack thereof to make it look bad, so that'd be interesting. In terms of the game, though, would it be something like Realm of the Mad God? Cause that's the first thing that comes to mind.

Had to look up Realm of the Mad God too, and I guess the gameplay would be indeed similar? I really am thinking of something like Ragnarok Online, Tree of Savior, Lineage 2 and other MMORPGs where you travel around maps, hunt monsters in real time, can stumble upon other players, make parties to clear quests faster or hunt bosses, enter instance dungeons, gain exp from quests and monster kills and Level up, change classes, have class skill trees, and so on. But it would be on Ragnarok Online or Tree of Savior-style graphics to make it easier to implement costumes, equipment, and even monsters. It wouldn't be as simplistic as pixel art.