Cappuccijoe

Kingdom Hearts: Everlasting (IC/PG-16/ALWAYS Accepting)

TpGqNWUC8ff0Q7p7EqXdml3536zkPK7LprsmaFDA

Chapter One: Unity

Fires burned brightly in the basin of the several magically fueled torches that lit the walls of the Head Sage's home. Sweat trickled down her forehead and into her brow as she made the horrific discovery that always came with a brief, sinking feeling: this one could not be saved. Incapacitated before her laid what used to be a human; a poor, misguided soul who had not been able to find peace or direction in The Ever. Neither a cause for life or a purpose for death, and would soon be warped into the familiar beasts that tortured Fairlight, and soon the worlds beyond The Ever as a whole.

"Nir." Sage Courth beckoned.

"Yes, Head Sage?" the small boy looked up from his desk in the corner, turning ninety degrees in his chair to face the Head Sage.

"Please retrieve my book. This soul... will not make it." Her graying hair fell in front of her face as she bowed her head in shame. Dismissing a soul from The Ever to...whatever the afterlife held in this realm was never an easy task, even for a Sage of her strength and wisdom. She knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that this was the best she could do, but death was still human, and it still made her mournful. 

The much younger boy, clearly an apprentice, also bowed his head, "Yes, Head Sage." He reached to the far corner of his desk, over a lit candle and over the stacks of paper; research, to be specific, to grab the Head Sage's book. Before handing it to her, one sheepish question leaked out of his lips,

"Is...is the invasion today, Head Sage?" He knew the answer. He only wished there had been a rescheduling of sorts by the monstrous, relenting enemy lead by something and yet nothing.

"The Councilman has warned me of such an occasion. The warriors have all been summoned. We can only hope that when The Ever decides to consume its next harvest, it will have kept everyone we've seen today safe." Lola Courth grabbed the book, and soon unleashed a beam of light from the bindings, simply evaporating the very presence of the transforming soul before her; it seemed more reminiscent of a teleportation than anything resembling a holy smite or a destruction of the human form.

The Head Sage pursed her lips, standing up and placing the book back on the far corner of Nir's desk. She slowly moved towards the window and opened the blinds, looking up into the increasingly gray sky.

"Looks like it'll be any minute now."

---

"Could this place get any worse?" Olli kicked up the dirt as he lazily walked through the town square, slowly venturing into the small crowd of warriors, archers, mages, and other seemingly normal people that were, supposedly, preparing for The Invasion.

The Invasion was somewhat of a yearly event for Fairlight; it was a time when The Ever harvested another large area for souls and indecisive hearts, expanding its alarmingly fast reach over all that was known in the universe. The problem with that, however, was that The Ever also appeared to have a very clear cutoff line in terms of population, and would use the hordes of Undecided at their disposal to "clean up" Fairlight, by far it's most populated city, to make room for the new people that would quickly be finding their way into Fairlight as a permanent resident. That was until another invasion happened, anyhow.

Olli looked up at the sky; it was never particularly sunny in The Ever, usually some sort of overcast weather was the norm, but even by those standards, Olli perceived it to be rather dreary. Just as that thought crossed his mind, a bell rung from the top of the tallest tower in Fairlight; this was, of course, accompanied by several screams of panic and the common folk immediately running into their homes.

"Here we go again." Olli looked around him; he hadn't seen any familiar faces this time around. He thought that was a smart call. In all honesty, Olli questioned himself why he even showed up to Fairlight to help the invasion; Courth wasn't in any danger because of her attachment to The Councilman, and he could care less about any of the other common folk in this town. Maybe he just liked the idea of conflict with the monsters that shared some of his physical traits.

---

The gates of Fairlight shook violently and rumbled loudly with the sound of Undecided scratching at the wood that composed the first line of defense; it wouldn't be long until one of the more magically attuned Undecided opened a portal of Darkness that would allow them to walk into the town with impunity, but for now they simply attacked the gate mindlessly. There was something decisively zombielike about the way they went about their business, especially when they were in droves, such as right now. A good 100 Undecided had lined up now; far more than any normal horde of Undecided, but that was what made The Invasion of Fairlight so annually terrifying; where were these flocks of Undecided even coming from? And how did they all end up here?

Nobody has yet been able to come to a conclusion as to how these beings have been unified to such an agenda, but perhaps something bigger lies in store for the troupe of heroes that will unknowingly be tied together by the strength of their souls...

The gate buckles slightly; and the Undecided start pouring into Fairlight, which is right about the time a familiar yet unknown voice would ring in the heads of our heroes:

Your strength... what is it made of? Would you risk it all... for the truth?

iyyzIuC.png

iU8EggM.png

BGM

Darkness...all he could see was darkness for the longest time. Eyes wide open, but nothing but darkness as far as he could see, and even with his eyes closed...it seemed even darker than it had ever been to him. However, his eyes opened again and this time...he began to see some sort of lights, shapes, and shadows. Once his eyes adjusted, he found himself on the corner of a street, under a lamppost. Finally coming to, he let out a groan, holding his head slightly.

"N-Ngh...what...where?" Trevor mustered out, starting to slowly stir and awake from this stupor. It seemed different to him...his surroundings namely. Standing up, he began to lean against the wall of a nearby shop to gain his balance. T-This...this isn't my world. T-This isn't Arcana Cabana...where...? he thought, looking over at another nearby shop, which it had the words: Fairlight Town written on it. Fair...light Town?

He questioned what happened and why he was here...but then, his mind reeled back...

iU8EggM.png

"FIRAGA!!"

A large blue fireball emerged from the black coated sorcerer, as he blasted away quite a few opposing magic wielders. "Trevor! Are you holding up alright?" the man asked Trevor, who was casting a strong Thundaga against another sorcerer.

"T-Tch...I'm alright master...but it seems like there's no end to this! ...and nothing seems to be working!"

"Unfortunately...you're right." Balthazar sighed, casting Waterga, washing away three sets of mages. "But keep going...we can win!"

Trevor only nodded, but he wasn't too sure. The sorcerers and sorceresses were one thing...but the ones that were vying for control of the darkness within not only their own hearts, but the hearts of everyone who resided in this world? Things were becoming bleak...to the point that Trevor could honestly think they would lose. He could feel his hand trembling as it held the Cabanomicon...wait...that was it! The red-clad apprentice immediately lifted up the grimoire, immediately beginning to flip through the pages. There was one thing that could possibly turn the tide...a Summon. Not just any Summon, one of the powerful ones! He finally arrived towards the section in regards to Summons and began to look for one and it's inscriptions in order to call it forth.

"Here...wait..these are...these are runes I'm not familiar with..." Trevor muttered, trying his best to translate the foreign runes. "Gah! C'mon! You need to let me do this...please!!" he pleaded with the book, not fully paying attention to his surroundings...which cost him dearly.

That's when he felt it. It was sudden, but painful. The grimoire fell from his hands as he felt suddenly cold...much colder than he had if he was struck by a Blizzard Spell. No...this was a powerful piece of magic...possibly one of those instant kill ones Trevor read about. Nevertheless, he found himself falling...and everything seemed to be moving in slow motion for him. He felt himself bounce hard onto the ground once...twice... He could even seeing Balthazar striking at his assailant.

"TREVOR!!! ...ZETTAFLARE!!"

Within an instant, the assailant was vaporized. Balthazar quickly ran towards Trevor's side, trying his best to cast Cure and every single variant of the magic. "Trevor...Trevor stay with me!" he shouted.

B-Balthazar...I-I'm...I'm sorry...

iU8EggM.png

"T-That's right...I-I died...least...I think I did...?" Trevor muttered, now sitting near a fountain in what appeared to be this Fairlight Town's town square. He stared at the Cabanomicon, seeing the chain sealing it tight. He tried to open it slightly, but to no avail. "...not surprising...nice going Trevor. You made the grimoire seal itself because you decided to attempt to use a high level spell and end up making it shut. Balthazar warned you about this..."

An aggravated groan escaped his lips, as the young man simply put his grimoire to his side. "...but...did I die? I-I'm fairly certain I did. That was a powerful spell that hit me...possibly instant kill...so why am I here in this Fairlight Town?"

Unfortunately, he wasn't able to get an answer out of himself. It was then he finally noticed that there was something scratching at the wood that seemed to be keeping a gate closed...by what, he wasn't sure. If anything, it was possibly the same type of darkness that those sorcerers and sorceresses were vying and trying to control. Slowly standing up, his fist clenched tightly. What could this be? Is it that bad that there were a plethora of people at the ready to fight this?

However, before Trevor could really take a chance and make a move...he heard something...

Your strength... what is it made of? Would you risk it all... for the truth?

This sudden internal voice made Trevor stop. He glanced down at his Cabanomicon, before looking back at the gate with the impending darkness or whatever was mindlessly attacking. His fists clenched tightly, as he exhaled slowly.

"My name...is Trevor Masters." the red-clad mage began to speak, namely for the internal voice. “I am the apprentice to Balthazar Blake, sorcerer of the 777th degree. Allow me to demonstrate what I can truly do!”

Waking up from what seemed like a nightmare, Melia lifted herself up and started coughing up water. She had felt like she had just been fished up out of a pool or something. After a minute of coughing and finally getting a breath of air in her system, she looked and noticed that she was practically sitting in a puddle. "Wha... What the..." She got up to her legs and looked around, shivering. "Fairlight... I... I've never heard of that..." She said noticing a signpost. She looked around for a spot to sit so that she could think things through. "This isn't right... I was on a boat with my parents... Then..."

An explosion occurred, waking Melia from her slumber. The sounds of panicking crew members and passengers alike rang through the air on the ship. Grabbing her gear and heading out her room, Melia could see nothing but fire and smoke as a mysterious crew boarded the ship. She ran down the hall, covering her mouth and nose with her sleeve, if nothing else, she had to make sure her family was safe.

Entering her parents' room, she shocked to see her father standing over the body of one of the enemy's crew members. Her mother was holding her side, healing a gash that had been caused by the enemy's weapons. "Mother! Father!" She ran up and hugged her parents, tears slightly forming in her eyes. "Melia! Thank the stars those men didn't get you..." "Leonhard, we still need to get out of here. We can't sit here while those men kill everyone!" Her mother said as she finished healing her wound. "You're right... Melia, wait here and don't open the door for anyone you don't recognize." Her parents' hugged her one last time. "We'll be back." Were the last words she heard from them.

A minute passed before Melia looked towards the door. "I... I have to help them... I can't just sit here!" She told herself before she ran to the door. But before she could open it, an explosion knocked her back as the door flew off its hinges. A sickening, loud crack was heard as the hall of the ship started to split apart. Melia could barely keep her footing as she fell into the crack, splashing into the water below. Melia couldn't tell what to make of her situation, all she knew was that she needed to swim up. Until an object hit her directly in the head, knocking her out. Everything faded to black, as she slowly drifted to the depths.

"Did... Did I... Drown?" She mumbled to herself as she looked at her hands. They were wet, pale, and clammy, as if they haven't seen sunlight in a long time. Suddenly, the sound of scratching and the cracking of wood caught her attention. She looked towards the gates of this town to see that some sort of darkness was trying to get in. "A-Ah..." Melia stood up, fear visible on her face, before a voice rang out to her.

Your strength... what is it made of? Would you risk it all... for the truth?

Melia looked up upon hearing the voice and took a deep breath. "I... I have to find my parents... I have to know what happened..." She drew her scimitar and looked towards the gate. "I am Melia Gaeleo... Explorer in training... And I will find my family!"

Corentin wasn’t a medic, but the medic tent was where an apothecary was probably best placed, so that’s where he was. It was where his master had been too, though they’d gone and disappeared somewhere, leaving their apprentice only the vaguest of instructions. “Help where you can,” they’d said, as if that hadn’t been clear from the moment the two had arrived. “If you cannot help where you are, find a place to be where you can.”

It was still only the calm before, though. So “helping where he could” in this case meant either readying supplies and doublechecking -- no, triplechecking -- inventory or idling about waiting for the wooden barriers to fall and the first casualties to come in. Then, so those people said, then they would spring to action.

“Un, deux, trois, quatre, cinq…”

Cori had chosen the former. He’d actually wanted to help more. He wanted to be making the medicines and the poultices, adding to the stockpile with every vial. But there wasn’t any place for it. “Besides, we should already have enough. Just don’t get in the way,” everybody had told him, which seemed more like tempting fate than a reassurance.

It seemed like there were a lot of people doing just that, trying not to get in the way. They must have chosen option number two, Cori decided. And there was something to the idea of being sure you were ready, tense in anticipation. It was that four fifty-nine feeling, right before the dinner rush started but too late to do anything else of value. It was a nervous energy, but it kept you alive.

Alive. Cori cursed under his breath. He’d put himself in the mindset that there wasn’t a possibility that he could die today. It wasn’t that he hadn’t known, it was just that it wasn’t a thing he had thought about. Should he have been thinking about it more? Surely he should have, no?

“Trente-trois, trente-quatre…”

Even from where he was standing, even as far away from the walls as he was, he could still hear the Undecided clawing at the barrier. How many were there? How many would- could they take? What if they came for him? It wasn’t like he could defend himself. Would anyone else come to his rescue?

They had to, no? He’d do the same, or at least he thought he’d do the same. That was why he was there, after all. The medic tent, not the Ever. Why he was in the Ever, well, that wasn’t something he wanted to think about.

“Your strength... what is it made of? Would you risk it all... for the truth?”

That wasn’t his voice. But when Cori looked around to see whose it was, he didn’t see anybody it could have been. Which made sense when he thought about it a bit more. The question actually seemed to come from his own head. A rogue thought then, or…?

Either way, the question lingered, demanding an answer. “My strength,” Cori said. “My strength? What strength? I can cook and I can count and hopefully I can keep people alive. And if I am lucky, tomorrow I can do it all over again. And the next day. And the next. Until…

“Until…” he said again, but the sentence just ended there. 

He’d lost count in the meantime, too, and had to start over. “Un, deux, trois…”

If there was a risk, it wasn’t his. So if this rogue thought needed his consent to quote, “risk it all,” it had it. It just had to wait until the barricades broke and the storm came flooding in.

"Reinforce the gates! Do not concede the line until my signal!"

A gruff, proud man outfitted entirely in plate screamed from the top of the watchtower, so that all the watch towers in the front sector could hear.

Fairlight Town itself, despite being the largest population of anywhere in The Ever, was quite spacious. It was split up into 4 sectors in the shape of a rhombus, with the back triangle of the rhombus buried into a mountain structure, so that all but the front triangle would be impenetrable by anything but an aerial attack, which was an uncommon battle tactic in this time and age.

The front two sectors in the forward facing triangle featured the military, guilds of all classes and jobs, the blacksmiths, medics, and all other manners of things that would require fast and convenient access in the event of an invasion or attack, such as this one. This provided a deep and numerous defensive response before any potential invaders could reach the back two sectors, which featured the residential and shopping districts for your less battle intensive needs: clothing, non-magical jewelry, furniture, and the farmers market. This impressive display of city planning and architecture surrounded the most important and defining characteristic of Fairlight: the Sages guild.

The Sages of Fairlight, the last possible line of defense against the ravages of The Ever and the eternally spawning Undecided, were placed in a high reaching tower, adorned from top to bottom in resplendent jewels, crystals, and ever burning lamps that reflected and refracted the light all over Fairlight, giving a warm, orange glow to the city, which had since become extinct in most other worlds due to the lack of a colorful sky in The Ever.

The large wooden gate buckled heavily, bowing into the wall of men that had formed a makeshift barrier behind the gate. Causing the bend was a behemoth about 12 feet tall, and about 3 cabbage carts wide from the shoulders, slamming its fists into the wood. The captain grimaced as the dark energy pulsed around the creature's magma-like skin: pitch black to the point of being hard to make out in broad daylight, cracked open and seething with energy all its own.

The warrior paced in his post, weighing the pros and cons of the hardest part of his job: does he release the gates and allow the monster in, surely killing some good men? Or allow them to continue slamming against the gate and grow in number, potentially dooming the entire civilization? He removed his helmet as despair washed over his heart.

"I can't take many more of these decisions..." he walked towards the ladder and made his descent, sliding down the edges, rather than stepping down each rung. As he approached the gates, his subordinates appeared shocked,

"C-Captain! What are you doing here?! Who's watching the post?!" One lieutenant voiced his concerns.

"I'm ending my cowardice. Release the gates."

"What? Are you sure?! The warriors are still gathering!" Sweat accumulated on both their brows; one out of fear for the worst, one out of anticipation of the same.

"I SAID RELEASE THE GATES!"

A roar flowed through the ranks of the Fairlight Military's loyal as the command rolled through, giving way to the gates and allowing not only the Behemoth, but several waves of your generic, storebrand Undecided as well.

Ollie snapped his head to the gates as the command was issued;

"What are they thinking? The boy scouts aren't even ready yet..." he readied himself, tapping into his more aggressive side, and allowing for the energy that powered these beasts, The Undecided, the transformation that had been laid upon him, to consume just a bit more real estate. But as he began to walk towards the gate to take on the Behemoth that had wandered into Fairlight, and rather quickly got to slapping away fully grown men and making room for the next round of souls, Ollie felt a pain.

Normally, he would have accepted this particular brand of pain as a gas bubble or some sort of cramp, but it felt like... it had felt like it was coming from the Magician, then the girl with the large sword that ran by.

"Ah! My heart!" He clutched his chest, "Wait.." something had dawned on Ollie: he didn't have a heart. Nobody did in this realm, so what was this pain? And what did the other two have to do with it? He could only assume such a pain, or perhaps some similar signal had been imparted to them as well, but even if it didn't Ollie knew one thing for sure: he had to keep those two alive. They were important for something.

"You two, wait!" He chased after them, and thus towards the Behemoth, hoping they could escape the first wave of Undecided alive to get some answers.

WARNING!!

Monster: Behemoth and Swarm

HP:???

Level: ???d9mjci5a.jpg

The rogue thought didn’t need to wait that long. Even from where he was, as far away from the walls as one could be, Corentin could still hear the crash as the gates were thrown open and the roar slash screams of Fairlight’s defenders as many of them finally caught their first glimpse at the hoard. It was a sound that sent Cori jumping to his feet, though whether he was ready to run towards it or in the opposite direction, he wasn’t entirely sure.

The rest of the medical tent experienced the opposite effect. Those who knew what they were doing started yelling out orders. People around Cori sped up, to the point of jostling him while he stood there, practically motionless.

It took a few moments -- a few precious moments -- but his time spent in high-pressure kitchens finally caught up to him. This was his element; he was used to this. The impending mass injury and death, maybe not so much, but the stress? The need to keep moving lest he fall behind? That was something he could handle. One could almost say he thrived in it.

Another moment passed. Corentin was moving now; he realized where he needed to be. He wasn’t the most adept at healing or medicine or anything like that, but those that were -- the doctors and nurses -- couldn’t be the ones pulling the injured back from the gate. They were too few and too valuable. But someone like Cori, who could at the very least keep people alive, that was probably where he should be. This was immediately followed by another realization: the center of Fairlight was the safest, yes, but the distance meant that by the time medical staff reached the wall it was very possible casualties would be lining up. Time was of the essence.

Corentin made his way through the crowd -- sometimes against it, but he persevered -- to where the stretchers had been laid out in advance. Lucky for him, someone else was desperately searching for their second, and the two quickly readied up.

The “someone else” took the lead. “All set?” they said.

Cori wasn’t sure he was but he nodded anyway, and the two took off towards the gate as fast as they could.

High above the growing sounds of battle reaching up from the invasion of Fairlight, little more than a silhouette tearing through the foggy skies, a ship was approaching the city. Any who looked above could tell little about her size at first, or even really her speed thanks to the angle she approached at. Some might have reason to suspect her identity, there was after all one person who was supposed to be there for the defense who had so far been conspicuously absent. Not that her reputation here in The Ever was quite the same as it had been back home, so it wasn't quite so likely that her presence had been missed.

"That's enough thrust!" Her voice cut through the howling wind around them like thunder in a hurricane, and the blue glow of the vessel's engines died out. From below perhaps it looked that she had been intercepted or otherwise dealt with before she could even get in range, but the captain and her crew knew well what they were doing. They were coming in as fast as they could, and they needed to be ready to maneuver before they struck the streets of the city below. From her station just to the right of the Helmsman, the Captain gave her next orders. "Power to the 'Teeth,' and make ready for follow-up bombardment." She hardly needed to even order the crew now, for they knew this vessel like their own bodies. Her gaze piercing the gray fog of the Ever as the city below came slowly into focus.

Fairlight. She had come into its port so many times now, and every time she'd come back with a little more information...and a little less crew. Today she had less of the former and more of the latter, and she and those with her were hungry for a little revenge. All across the deck the myriad species of the Astral Sea were represented, manning guns and sharpening swords and axes. Below she knew too that the modest broadsides were being prepared, and the steadily brightening light before her told her that the main armaments of her vessel were charging up.

Your strength... what is it made of? Would you risk it all... for the truth? The Captain gritted her teeth into a familiar scowl as the question rang in her head, and she began striding towards the bow of her ship in preparation to give her answer.

---

On the streets below, just back from the gates, those amassed were given the rather unique honor of seeing naval assets deployed against massed infantry targets. The, almost electric, crack of ionized gas erupting from two enormous barrels some hundreds of meters above the streets rang out through the sounds of the opening battle, and before those on the ground could even look up to the source two masses of bright blue plasma struck home upon the Behemoth and bathed the city in heat and light like a sunrise. This was followed by a barrage of smaller bolts of plasma in a dozen colors, interspersed with momentary flashes of bright red or blue light as laser cannons fired out around them. This smaller-caliber barrage thinned the horde admirably, and maybe it bought those on the streets just enough time to ready themselves.

To anyone who looked up, the impressive sight of a Solar Sailer screaming past graced their vision for just a few moments. Sails arranged in a canopy, long since refitted to draw power from the strange ill winds that blew in the Ever's sky, swelled with invisible force even as the set of engines behind it flared to life and let out a piercing whine. As it passed a vaguely human shape could be seen falling to the streets, and it landed remarkably lightly for something its size.

Towering over the other defenders of Fairlight, an alien figure stood. A greatcoat billowed about her form, dark armor spotted with glowing light that made it clear it was more than simple plated metal covered her hide, and around her head a set of tentacles flared up in anger. Falling somewhat slower than her was an enormous, even for her, bicorn hat which settled unevenly atop her head only to be corrected in a single fluid motion by one of those tentacles. Behind her an enormous, roughly scaled tail whipped and lashed with its owner's fury. In her left hand she clutched an enormous pistol with a telescopic sight mounted to it, and her right was empty for now.

"Get yourselves together you useless, motherless curs!" Her voice broke the momentary silence that followed her arrival, and the now clearly mechanical arm attached to her right shoulder split open from the elbow up to reveal a glowing array of tubes and coils. Clearly just as much magic as artifice, it glowed first a bright orange before turning to a sickening, venomous purple. A seething orb of the same color gathered in her right palm, and she stretched it out towards the Behemoth. "Hearts or not, let's show these neverborn bastards that our courage didn't die with us!" She clenched her right hand into a fist, the mechanism of her arm snapped shut, and a cloud of that same vile purple settled over it.

Thus did Regina Maree Flint enter the fray.

Edited by Asriel Dreemurr

iyyzIuC.png

iU8EggM.png

"I SAID RELEASE THE GATES!"

This was heard, and it wasn't something that Trevor was all too thrilled about. He looked over at his grimoire and shook his head solemnly. "Seems I'm doing this the old fashion way." he sighed, looking over at his left hand, eyeing the three rings that happened to rest upon it. "A sorcerer is nothing without the magic rings..." With a firm nod and his hand clenching, he began to make his stride towards the location of the gate.

"You two, wait!"

Trevor halted for a moment, looking back to see what he assumed was a local...namely given his general appearance of being some sort of...chimera or something akin to that. He was planning to speak, but glanced back towards the gate, seeing a wave of these strange creatures...quite a bit of smaller ones and of course, the large giant of one. "Apologies, but given the situation, conversation will most likely have to wait until after these are taken care of." the mage said, tipping his hat slightly before turning around to face the horde of creatures.

He held his left hand in front of his face slightly, beginning to walk towards the creatures. The red ring on his index finger began to glow brightly, the gem shining it's red light. Trevor proceeded to make a finger-gun with his index finger and watched as a small spark and flame began to appear. "Heh, looks like I still have at least the basic ones thanks to these rings." he said, pointing his finger towards the horde. "FIRE!!"

The fire erupted from the tip of his finger as it fired off towards a nice chunk of the horde of creatures. "Huh, surprisingly these aren't like the other dark creatures that were fighting me before...cause it actually looks like my magic is doing some damage to them. Perfect."

Melia watched as an enormous creature charged out from the gates, followed by the horde of much smaller creatures that seemed to rush out from under the beast. She ready her scimitar before covering her eyes as a blast of energy wiped out a good few of the shadowy creatures.

"Get yourselves together you useless, motherless curs!"

She uncovered her eyes to see a towering, pirate-looking, alien of sorts.

"Hearts or not, let's show these neverborn bastards that our courage didn't die with us!"

She continued on with her words of encouragement before rushing in to fight the creatures. Wherever Melia was, the people here we're far from normal. Taking the pirate lady's words to heart, so to speak, Melia imbued her scimitar with water magic. She made a swift, dance-like motion, and slashed a huge, wave-like attack at the shadowy beasts, killing a few more that weren't obliterated by the pirate's attack. "Phew... A few down... Uhh... Maybe a couple hundred to go..." She mumbled quietly.

The Undecided were a noisy bunch, always. Their roars and screeches, the sound of them splintering wood, shattering stone and warping steel, even the loud blasts of the ship's cannons overhead, it made for an absolute cacophony of battle. Crash, however, could scarcely hear it over the sound of his own music: Little, rhythmic notes beeped and plinked around him, a synthesized melody that followed him, dancing in his ears like the rush of the wind as he ran, jumping from platform to platform with ease. It was thrilling-- like being back home in his own game, but this time he had control. He chose when to jump and where to land-- he was the player, not the character.

As he closed the distance, his music grew louder: A sparse, synthetic melody mimicking drums, keyboards, and guitar, rising from a low background hum to a hectic battle rhythm as he leapt into the fray from a windowsill, his boot-heel plowing into an Undecided jaw(?) with a resounding CLOMP!

"THAT'S THE STUFF!" He cheered. Crash leapt back and skidded to a halt, only to take off like a sprinter, fists flying and grin flashing as he met the wave of Undecided with reckless abandon.

"Apologies, but given the situation, conversation will most likely have to wait until after these are taken care of." 

Olli shot the man with the stupid hat a disapproving stare, left palm open in disbelief as he continued to run into battle without any sort of care for the world. The girl, for whatever it was worth, ran right past him and began hacking her way through the horde of Undecided all on her own. Olli figured the best plan of action would be to join them, so he quickly got to work, dashing in near the mage and gripping the Undecided that came closest by the skull. Olli's own Undecided half showing a display of rather terrifying strength, breaking through the skeletal structure of the monster with a morbid crunch as the skull of the creature exploded into something of a black mist, the rest of the body fading away quickly thereafter. Olli chuckled, satisfied by his work.

That smile would soon fade as a ship passed overhead, quickly stealing his, and everyone else's, thunder by unleashing somewhat of a thunder of its own. The blast charges and cannon blasts alike tore through the crowds and put a severe dent in the hulking Behemoth in front of them

"Of course SHE has to show up." Olli groaned; the Captain always seemed to show up "just in time" for these kinds of things, coming in with her hulking monster of a ship and laying cannon fire to the ground below. There were times were Olli questioned if she was even really a Pirate or just a Paladin with a costume, but even Olli's bitter mind had to concede that her timing here was impeccable. As the ship landed, and the Captain stepped foot onto battle, Olli decided he would not be outdone, and charged into the fray himself. As Olli approached though, the voice rang again, though this time a bit more menacingly:

Courage... it is nothing without a test. Show me your strength.

Olli's vision, ditto that of our unsuspecting party members, would become blurry, and blackness would spawn from the ground they walked on, crawling up the soles of their shoes, and gripping at the ankles. Panic washed over Olli's chest; was he about to die? There was no time to struggle, as the darkness quickly shot up his human form and collapsed over the top of his head, crashing like a wave, and devouring the party whole. In just a moment's notice, a flash would come in front of them, now suddenly standing on a stained glass platform, showing the face of the last known remaining Keyblade Wielder, Ventus, and a similar, but unfamiliar, figure on the other side of the design. All around the platform was darkness, and it seemed as if you were to take a step off the side, you would fall for eternity.

The six heroes, now arranged in a circular pattern at the center of the platform, were greeted only by themselves for now. Olli looked around in a panic, frantically looking for a way back to The Ever, 

"Where- Where are we!?" he snapped his gaze towards the Mage he met before, "Did you do this!? Get us back to The Ever, now! The Invasion is happening out there, we don't have time for magic tricks!"

There would be a short time to talk and react to the area around them, and Olli simply sat down in his spot in the circle, deciding uncharacteristically break the sounds of confusion with a question:

"Sure seems like the 6 of us are trapped here. The name's Olli. I've been in The Ever for.." he stopped, hanging his head back to look up at the infinite darkness above them.

"God, I can't even remember how long. Time sort of started to melt away in there..." he lifted his head back up, looking over at Trevor and Melia, "But when you two passed me by... something changed. Did either of you feel that? That was the beginning of all... this stuff." He gestured out into the nothingness, "Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I didn't even know THIS existed."

Not long after the conversation, however long it took, ceased, a rumble shook the floor beneath them, sending OIli slightly off balance. The rumble was the sound of not one, but two Behemoth clawing their way up the side of the platform, standing proudly and towering above the party once they reached the summit of their climb. Olli shot up his feet, mumbling something under his breath.

2f7363c1f9.gif

Monster: Behemoth (x2)

HP/Level: ???/???

The Behemoth on the left of the platform wasted little time, immediately charging towards Olli, Regina, and Cori, swinging its large, lumbering arm towards the ground, hoping to sweep the three of them off of the platform and half the party's size in one go. The other one, however, took a much more relaxed approach, simply standing there with its arms crossed, looking menacingly at the party, perhaps planning something if left untouched.

Current Battle Arena Layout

Spoiler

56e1b39cb5.png

OST: Legend Of Dragoon OST: "Last Battle"

Edited by Cappuccijoe

iyyzIuC.png

iU8EggM.png

With one Fire cast, Trevor prepared another, but was halted after seeing a volley of attacks, firstly by a ship of some sort, then a woman with a blade in hand, followed by a strange young man with...well, strange powers. Finally, bringing up the rear, happened to be that young man who told him to wait...the chimera-esque individual. He noticed how quick he moved towards one of these creatures and gripped it by the skull...it was obvious the guy knew how to fight these things. While it was brutal, it seemed effective.

Nevertheless, Trevor proceeded to cast Fire yet again on a small group of these strange creatures, doing his best to keep these creatures at bay...however...the voice he heard earlier...it returned, but it sounded worse than before...

Courage... it is nothing without a test. Show me your strength.

"What? Show you my stren-..." Trevor was cut short, as his vision got blurry, and darkness was covering him, starting at his feet. Panic began to befall Trevor, feeling as if history was repeating itself and he was about to die yet again and be enveloped within the darkness. N-No! No what's going on?!

But as quickly as this thought and fear came...it left...and he found himself in a new location.

BGM

Trevor held his chest for a moment, exhaling slowly, doing his best to regain his composure. It was obvious he was still alive...for the moment at least. But still, this was a different location all together, but where exactly was he?

"Did you do this!? Get us back to The Ever, now! The Invasion is happening out there, we don't have time for magic tricks!"

He looked at the young man, holding his hands out in defense. "Hold on! I didn't do this. Magic to do any sort of warping or the like is above my powers as a sorcerer." Trevor explained, lowering a hand down towards his grimoire. "There might be something similar to that in my Cabanomicon, but unfortunately..." he paused, pointing out the chains sealing the book. "...I can't open this. So this wasn't my doing."

He lowered the book to allow it to be hanging at his side once more, as he looked around at the area he and this band of misfits were in. The platform was stained glass and depicting two young men with oddly shaped weapons...swords? But they resembled keys... Where have I heard something like this before?

"Sure seems like the 6 of us are trapped here. The name's Olli. I've been in The Ever for...God, I can't even remember how long. Time sort of started to melt away in there...But when you two passed me by... something changed. Did either of you feel that? That was the beginning of all... this stuff. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. I didn't even know THIS existed."

"The Ever?" Trevor spoke up, putting a hand to his chin. "I'm afraid that's the first time I've heard of that. So I may have to ask you to elaborate on that. However, if we're introducing ourselves..." he paused, taking the tip of his hat and removed it completely, giving a slight bow towards Olli and the rest. "Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Trevor Masters of the world Arcana Cabana. Apprentice to sorcerer of the 777th degree, Balthazar Blake." With a quick movement, he returned the hat to his head. "A pleasure to meet you...though I wish it was under much better circumstances."

Courage… it is nothing without a test. Show me your strength.

Corentin stumbled, sending the helper in front scrambling as well. “Sorry! Pardon! Sorry!” Cori said, desperately trying to pick himself back up. Stupid! He’d let himself get distracted, and by what? A thought that- why did he think it? Why was it in his head? Wasn’t he just doing what it had asked of him? He’d been rushing towards some of the most dangerous things in The Ever, what more did it want?

His vision blurred. Had he hit his head when he fell? He couldn’t remember, though that wasn’t necessarily a good sign. The last thing he heard before he blacked out entirely was someone yelling, “Hey! Hey! You okay?” But that was it. He was gone.

The sounds of battle faded. All sounds faded, in fact, until he woke up on in an entirely unfamiliar place with entirely unfamiliar people and he had to slowly, carefully pull himself back up, at least to a sitting position before he even started to take it all in.

Out of the frying pan, huh? The fire didn’t seem too bad, at least, so maybe the statement wasn’t true all the way through but he was safe for now, at least. He did wince as he dragged himself all the way up, though. His fall had been more intense than he’d initially thought, and now that things appeared to be at least comparatively safer, it was probably time to treat it.

Thankfully, the only thing that had happened to his bad was it had gotten a little bit (more) disorganized. Nothing had leaked or broken, or, at least, nothing that mattered. The vial of ointment he needed for his scrape was right on top, even.

But now he was being greedy. “Is anyone else hurt?” he called out, and only then did he realize that people were starting to introduce themselves. “Oh, um, I’m Corentin Fournier. I have, uh, I have some medical supplies if anyone here is injured?” He rubbed some ointment on his leg. “And no, I don’t know what’s going on either. I did hear something about courage? Just before I blacked out, this voice in my head said something about a test of courage.”

Edited by radio414

Crash, from where he was lying, was actually impressed with the turn of events. Planting his hands, he swung his legs over his head and kicked up onto his feet. He whistled at the platform they were standing on. Straightening out his shirt, pants, and gauntlets, he took stock of himself. Alright, generally speaking. A few scratches, but those'd buff right out.

"Man, this place loves being dramatic. Can't say I hate it, though. Name's Crash, Crash Landen." Straightening up with comical alarm, a series of exclamation marks appeared around his head as he did. "Oh, hey Flint. You're not --still-- mad at me, are ya, Cap?" His smile was incredibly nervous-- the effort it took to maintain was visible. Reaching into his pockets, he found himself alarmingly short of magical items. No crystals, no elixirs, nothing.

Crap.