Sign in to follow this  
Zai

Pokemon Atlas [R-16/IC]

XRECkxm.png

The voice of Roger Parsons narrates.

Everyone has a dream that fills their heart; a journey they must take, a destiny to fulfill. As close as your imagination exists a magical place, where wondrous creatures with incredible powers help make dreams come true. This is the world of pokemon. Here, pokemon and humans live in harmony. Some keep pokemon as pets, while others, known as pokemon trainers, compete with them in amazing contests of skill and strategy. Whether they battle, perform, race, or compete, all trainers and their pokemon hope to one day be the best, and become pokemon masters.

This dream burns brighter than most in the hearts of six young people: Trey Joule, Annelise Faraday, Willow Meyers, Ran Kuroki, Olivia Fournier, and Lennox Doyle, all beginning their journeys as pokemon trainers at the same time. As they each make their way to Cherrygrove city, none of them realize that their destinies are intertwined, or that they're in for the adventure of a lifetime.

BGM

"Hey bro. You told me to call you when I got here, soooooo...." Trey Joule leaned in toward the vidphone's screen so that Volkner could hear him more clearly. The pokemon center was extra lively this morning, between the usual trainer traffic and all of the TIP participants who had arrived to pick up their GPS spikes from the MapCo representative. The background noise wasn't helping the already shaky reception from Sunnyshore City.

"Wow, I'm kinda surprised you actually remembered. The regional ferry ride wasn't too bad was it?"

"It was pretty smooth. We even got a good view of Alto Mare when we crossed the lagoon."

"You should stop by there when you get a chance. Its a really cool town. Oh, forgot to tell you! I told Jas you were coming and so she put together a little care package for you. Its in your PC box."

"What?! Duuuude you told her I was coming to Johto?" Trey groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Its not like I was gonna keep it a secret from her. Besides, she's gonna see you in Olivine eventually anyway."

"Ughhh duuude this is so lame. Its bad enough I have to battle your girlfriend for a gym badge in the first place. The least you could do is save me from the big sis act."

"Sorry, no can do pipsqueak. I'll tell her you said thanks for the gear though."

"Yeah, yeah. You do that."

"There's a little something from me in there too, by the way."

"That's not like you. Did she rope you in too?"

"Nahh, Its just a little present to commemorate your journey. You gotta promise me something though."

"What's that?"

"You can't open it until you've earned your first badge. Deal? It'll ruin it if you do."

"Sure, sure. I'll leave Jasmine's stuff in there with it to keep it some company."

"Trey come on get over it- oh crap the Gym's got a challenger. Hey I've gotta go."

"Don't sweat it Volk I'll make sure I thank her myself when I get to Olivine. Don't make it easy for 'em ok?"

"Not a chance. And hey you better not lose to Jasmine. It'll make us look bad."

"Yeah sure whatever. Catch you on the flip side." With that, Trey hung up, and turned back around to face his cyndaquil, who'd been sitting on the bench behind him, listening intently. "Well Ollie, we're officially on our own. You ready to go do Johto?"

"Quiiil!"

"That's the spirit bro. We've got our stakes, so all we needa do is get everything squared away and hit the road!" Trey paused, craning his neck to follow a cute girl with a skitty for a moment. "Couldn't hurt to get acquainted with the locals a bit first though. Maybe ask about the sights? Whaddya think?"

"Qui-Quiiiiil!" Ollie nodded in the affirmative, though really he was just eager to do something other than stand still. If he was lucky, they might even find themselves a battle before they left town.

The refreshing sea breeze. The warm sun on her skin. The soft sand beneath her boots. The blue sky above her. These and other things were what filled Ran's mind as she looked out to the ocean. Or rather, as she remembered looking out to it. The sight of the ocean was a bit too natural for her, not to mention it had a rather ornery Poliwag in it that surfaced purely to spit seawater in Ran's face, before swimming off into the majestic ocean it called home. She much preferred the sterile, only slightly cool, and wild- pokemon-free air inside the local Pokemon Center. A bit of fresh air was healthy of course, but maybe it was her luck with "fresh air" for the last few months before finally leaving town that gave her a suspicion that it was all a hoax meant to keep kids from staying inside all day. After a not-so-brief trip to the bathroom to thoroughly dry her face off, and at least give it her best effort with her hair, Ran stepped into the center proper. People were gathering, here to get those GPS spikes no doubt. Ran had already collected hers.

Ran, for one, was ready to get her adventure started. But she'd need some other new trainers to team up with, right? It wasn't a bad idea to rely on others a bit, but Ran took a mental note to make sure she didn't end up just being a burden. She looked around for potential partners. Most notable in the moment was a boy with a Cyndaquil, talking on a vidcall with... someone that looked familiar, even if Ran couldn't quite put her finger on where she'd seen that guy before. Couldn't have been that important then, probably.

All the same, Ran sat down at the bench a comfortable enough distance from the boy. She didn't extend her hand out, but did nod in his direction, holding up a couple of GPS spikes of her own. "You're here for MapCo's program too, right? I overheard you talking to your pokemon. They'll probably make us team up, so I thought I'd find at least one other trainer to team up with before they announce anything. If that's alright with you."

Anneliese furrowed her brow as she walked off the shore and into the...where was she again? She knew she was supposed to be in a Cherrygrove City but surely this wasn't it? Nothing about what she could see seemed like a "city" to her. No, not at all. It wasn't much larger than her home. This must be some sort of "checkpoint" of sorts. Perhaps the people milling about were servants who would direct her to where she was meant to go!

Pleased with herself for realizing the situation she grabbed her luggage and dragged it across the ground towards the nearest person. An adult male, thirty to forty years old, who was staring off into the distance as though waiting for something to come up and interact with him. "Excuse me, but would you be so kind as to direct me to Cherrygrove City?" Anneliese asked.

The man looked down incredulously at the girl but, seeing her bag, and her manner of dress, he just gave a dry chuckle. "You're in it little miss." He said.

Anneliese tilted her head to the side. "That cannot be so, sir, I see no city here."

The smile slipped from the man's face and he gave a more stern look. "Hey now; are you making fun of our city?"

The girl's expression showed only confusion. "Whatever do you mean? I simply was wondering where the actual city was. See, me and Leopold traveled quite a ways and...Leopold?"

She only then realized that her Shinx was not at her side as he normally would be. Looking around she finally spotted him some distance away, slowly creeping towards a group of Pidgey that were resting near a building with a large red roof.

"Oh, excuse me, kind sir, I shall get directions later." Leaving the bag where she left it, without concern of it being lost, she hurried towards her Pokemon. "Oh, Leopold, Leopold, no, I thought I told you to stay out of trouble!"

However the young Shinx was still creeping closer, stalking the Pidgey, and, before Anneliese could stop him, dove at one of the bird Pokemon.

There was an eruption of feathers as the three shot into the air and Leopold began to give chase. With Anneliese trying, and failing, to catch up with him. "Leopooold wait for meeee!" She called out. Already out of breath.

"So this is Cherrygrove..." Olivia said with wonder in her voice, taking in the view as she made her way off of the shore. It wasn't as pretty as her beautiful city - it was much smaller, that was for sure, but it had its own charm that Olivia couldn't help but appreciate. Cerbi was next to the girl, excitedly taking in the scenery next to his trainer. "So, are you ready to embark on this wonderful journey, Cerbi? This is our first step!" She said, rubbing Cerbi's head as the Houndour let out a happy bark. Olivia smiled, before slowly making her way towards the small port town, Cerbi following close behind. "First things first..." She said, scanning the place for a Pokemon Center. It didn't take her too long to spot the all too familiar red roof that the centers were known for. The girl pointed her finger towards it. "Aha! There it is!" She said confidently, turning to Cerbi. "Lets go, cerbi." The Houndoom howled eagerly as the girl daintily skipped her way towards the center.

When she was close, she saw a group of Pidgeys fly away from the center. The cause of it was a rather playful and well-groomed Shinx, around its neck was a Red Scarf similar to the one Cerbi had on. "Ah~!" She said as she made her way towards the Pokemon. "What an adorable little Pokemon you are!" She placed her hand on her right cheek, tilting her head. "Your coat is absolutely belle~!" She didn't even seem to notice the Shinx's trainer approaching.

Meanwhile, Cerbi didn't seem as captivated by the little Pokemon as his trainer. In fact, the Houndour scoffed at the Shinx, giving the electric Pokemon a rather nasty glare.

“Cherrygrove City! Cherrygrove City stop!”

The shrill voice of the bus driver roused Lennox from an uncomfortable half-nap. As he stretched out his sore back, he could hear the quiet sounds of slurping and munching from the seat next to him. Robin had emptied half the contents of the jar of honey he had given him to stay quiet and still for the trip. Now Robin was shaking the jar and sticking his tongue in the amber liquid, his face now covered in a sticky mess.

“Robin! Time to go!” Lennox said as he stood from his seat, backpack in hand. The Heracross hopped to its feet, still holding the sticky jar in its claws and hobbled after him off the bus.

As he disembarked, Lennox was greeted with unfamiliar sights and smells. Compared to Goldenrod City, with its towering office buildings, endless lanes of asphalt, and streets bustling with both cars and people, Cherrygrove was a flowering paradise of cherry trees and flowing water. Along the distant sea shore, the cries of bird Pokemon that congregated along the shoreline could be heard through the relative tranquility of the narrow streets. The peaceful, almost pastoral, scene was only marked by the Pokemon Centre down the street, where a crowd of Pokemon trainers milled about with their trusty companions.

The change of scenery was daunting, but the freedom to do and go where he pleased made it well worth it for Lennox. For once, he would be able to choose his own path! According to the brochure, he would need to travel across the whole region, bringing him to every Gym in the process. The possibilities were endless, and he would not stop until each one was explored! With that thought on his mind, he approached the Pokemon Centre crowd.

---

Getting through the crowd was a bit of an ordeal. Normally, these kinds of errands would have been run by one of the servants, but in the spirit of freedom, Lennox elected to sign the papers himself. His bag, now heavy with electronics, started to weigh on him. He attempted to shrug off the growing fatigue, but quickly decided that he would need to rest a bit before attempting to go anywhere far. The nearest bench already had an occupant, a girl wearing a raincoat despite the sunny weather, but Lennox did not pay mind as he took a seat on the opposite side, with Robin following closely behind carrying the now empty jar of honey.

"You're here for MapCo's program too, right? I overheard you talking to your pokemon. They'll probably make us team up, so I thought I'd find at least one other trainer to team up with before they announce anything. If that's alright with you."

Lennox turned his head, thinking the girl was addressing him, but then realised that she was chatting up another trainer, who had a Cyndaquil by his side.

“The MapCo administrators did mention something about teaming up. Guess I should get that sorted before everyone leaves,” he thought to himself before getting up and approaching the two.

“If we need to team up, maybe we could make it three? The more the merrier right?” Lennox said with a friendly smile on his face, “I’m Lennox, and this here’s Robin, my trusty companion. You also going to challenge the gyms?”

"You're here for MapCo's program too, right? I overheard you talking to your pokemon. They'll probably make us team up, so I thought I'd find at least one other trainer to team up with before they announce anything. If that's alright with you."

Trey looked down the bench to see a girl in a raincoat speaking to him. She was pretty average looking, save for her hair, which had long pastel streaks of purple in it. Odd choice. The raincoat was pretty odd too, now that he thought of it. It was sunny out. And kinda hot.

"No idea what you're on about. Never heard the suits say anything about pairing people off." Trey got up and walked over to her, and Ollie followed by running down the bench. "Buuuuuut, if you wanna stick with us for awhile, I don't mind at all." He winked and stuck out his fist, though he didn't really care if she took the invitation for a fist bump or not. Then another person showed up, a guy this time.

"If we need to team up, maybe we could make it three? The more the merrier right? I’m Lennox, and this here’s Robin, my trusty companion."

Trey had no idea what they were both talking about. Teaming up? This whole thing was supposed to be an excuse for a journey, wasn't it. Maybe they had the wrong idea.

"You also going to challenge the gyms?”

Now someone was speaking his language. "You bet! Me and Ollie here are going all the way to the pokemon league, so you'd better watch out bro. Name's Trey by the way." As he spoke, an idea came to him. "Know what, how 'bout you and me have a battle. You can be our first win in Johto!"

The thought of a good battle got Ollie excited, and his flames started to burn- hot enough that Ran could probably feel the heat. Speaking of Raincoat Girl... "You wanna come watch? Should be fun."

"What an adorable little Pokemon you are! Your coat is absolutely belle~!"

Leopold skidded to a halt at the sudden, unknown, voice. The moment he stopped chasing them the Pidgey got out of range and flew up on top of the roof of the building. Giving them an annoyed glance he turned towards the voice.

The girl was fawning over him, something he was used to, though unappreciative of, but it was the Houndour that he honed in on.

Letting out a small growl the Shinx lowered his head and glared right back at the larger Pokemon. If he wanted to fight he would give him the fight of his li-

"Leo...pold...thank...goodness...you stopped." Anneliese said. She was panting as she scooped him up in her arms. "Don't you go running off like that. What if you got lost? I don't know if the servants here will know what to do with you." She finally seemed to notice the girl in front of them. "Oh, hello." She said. The girl's clothing was rather showy, and reminded her of a girl from a movie she once saw. Which led her to the conclusion of, "Ah, are you a movie star perhaps? How lovely. What are you doing in this place? Oh! Do you happen to know where Cherrygrove City is?"

xrkugze.png

"No idea what you're on about. Never heard the suits say anything about pairing people off."

Come again? Ran shifted a glance to her pocket, where her poke ball rested. To think her own pokemon would mislead her like this. Best not to mention that. She probably seemed weird enough now, and she wasn't exactly eager to dig herself into an even deeper hole.

"Buuuuuut, if you wanna stick with us for awhile, I don't mind at all."

Well, that much was a relief. It wasn't quite in the way she'd first expected, but in the end, she did secure a partner to travel with. Two of them no less, it would seem! The boy with the cyndaquil held his fist out. She was supposed to bump her own fist with his, right? That was what she'd see on TV anyway. And so, Ran responded in term, reaching out with a fist of her own, but only barely tapping the boy's before retracting her hand. Minimal contact was great, and no contact at all was ideal, but there was no excuse to be rude to someone she'd just met.

"You also going to challenge the gyms?”

"You bet! Me and Ollie here are going all the way to the pokemon league, so you'd better watch out bro. Name's Trey by the way. Know what, how 'bout you and me have a battle. You can be our first win in Johto! You wanna come watch? Should be fun."

Trey and Ollie. They were going to battle this other boy. Calling it fun was a bit of an understatement, even if Ran was only going to be spectating. She'd seen plenty of battles and contests on TV before, but up close in person was a different story. "I'd love to watch," she smiled, getting up to her feet. It was a lovely day outside, perfect for two aspiring trainers to duke it out, and for a third to watch. "Oh, my name is Ran. And this..." Ran reached into her pocket, fishing out a poke ball and letting loose the staryu inside. Unlike most of its kind, its colors were a bit different, most notable being the blue gem in the middle rather than the usual red. "This is Orion. We'd be more than happy to stick around with you throughout the Johto Region, if you'll have us." Even if a lot of it is because I'm not so sure about taking off on my own.

"You bet! Me and Ollie here are going all the way to the Pokemon League, so you'd better watch out bro. Name's Trey, by the way. Know what, how 'bout you and me have a battle. You can be our first win in Johto!"

Lennox could not help but crack a smile at Trey’s bravado.

“Ha! What makes you so confident? Robin and I have been training all year for this trip! A little fire isn’t going to stop us from winning!” Lennox said puffing up his chest, “Ain’t that right Robin?”

Picking up on the energy in the air, Robin threw aside the empty jar of honey before jumping to Lennox’s side, striking a powerful pose.

"I'd love to watch, Oh, my name is Ran. And this...this is Orion. We'd be more than happy to stick around with you throughout the Johto Region, if you'll have us."

Lennox turned towards Ran and Orion with a confident smile and a thumbs up.

“Excellent! You get to be the witness of our first win of our career!”

Turning back to Trey, he pointed his finger at him.

“No point in waiting! Let’s do this! Robin, let’s go!”

As the Shinx returned the glare, Cerbi was ready to deal with this runt. He wasn't about to let some blue rat take the heart of his precious Olivia. He stepped forward to pounce, but stopped.

"Leo...pold...thank...goodness...you stopped." A tired girl came out of nowhere and scooped up the runt in her arms. Cerbi simply scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"Ah, you must be the little one's trainer~!" Olivia said, placing her hand on top of Cerbi's head. This calmed down the Houndoom almost instantly, as it's tail started to wag. When the girl said that she was a movie star, Olivia couldn't help but smile. "Ohoho! Little ol' me? Not yet, darling, not yet." She said, placing her hands on her hips. Her head, however, tilted at her question. "Huh? Don't be silly, we are in Cherrygrove City!" She said, taking in another look at the girl. The girl seemed to be well dressed herself, probably from a rich family. Perfect! It was nice to meet someone just like her. "I know, I know, it's not quite as big as Lumiose or... wherever you're from... but I can assure you this is the city." She said, gesturing around her. "It's a bit more rural, but I think that has its own little charm." She said, before making a shocked expression. "Oh, where are my manners?"

She placed her hand on her chest. "My name is Olivia Fournier." She gestured towards Cerbi. "And this is my beautiful little Cerbi!" She placed her hand on top of the Houndoor again.

"Wait, wait a minute," Ran interjected, hands out as if the gesture could somehow stop the boys. Nodding around to her surroundings, the girl continued "We're still in a Pokémon Center. Maybe we should go take this outside instead."

"Oh...." Trey had stopped mid-motion, leaning forward awkwardly as if he was ready top lunge along with Ollie, who was likewise stopped in place. "Yeah. Guess we should, huh. Good thinking Raincoat." Trey straightened up, then bent down and picked up Ollie. "C'mon Lenny. lets take this outside."

---

The trio walked for a few minutes, moving into a vacant lot between a few nearby buildings. It was an excellent place to have a pokemon battle- there were several old trees providing shade, and their roots made the terrain nice and uneven. The brush and small growth that dotted the lot wasn't very intrusive either. Ollie and Robin would have no trouble moving around out here, and there was a lot of room.

"This is as good a spot as any, I'd say." Trey called out as he set Ollie down.         He waited for a moment so that Lennox and Robin could get themselves ready, and for Ran to find herself a nice place to watch. After they were ready, Trey reflexively tugged on his cap a little, and braced himself as Ollie darted out in front of him.

BGM

"Now why don't we kick things off? We'll take the first move! Ollie, use tackle!"

Ollie obeyed, running straight his opponent, though both he and Trey were ready for whatever response was coming.

Edited by Zai

"Wait, wait a minute. We're still in a Pokémon Center. Maybe we should go take this outside instead."

“Oh...Right. Got a little carried away!” Lennox said, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment as the scene drew a few eyes from some of the bystanders, as well as a stern gaze from the resident Chansey nurse.

"Yeah. Guess we should, huh. Good thinking Raincoat. C'mon Lenny. let’s take this outside."

“Hey! Who said you could call me Lenny!” Lennox replied indignantly, stooping to pick up the discarded jar of honey before following the two out of the Pokemon Centre with Robin close behind.

---

"This is as good a spot as any, I'd say."

As the group arrived at the empty lot, Lennox started evaluating the designated battleground like his grandpa taught him. The venerable trees were wide and tall, bordering the edges of the lot, forming a wall that could be used to trap an opponent, but the uneven ground would be treacherous for a mobile strategy. To win, Robin would have to control the centre and wait for his opponent to trip up. With his strategy in mind, Lennox gave a confident smile as Robin took his place in front of him.

"Now why don't we kick things off? We'll take the first move! Ollie, use tackle!"

As Ollie dashed forwards, Robin instinctively took a stance, ready to receive the blow.

“Robin, use Endure and wait for your moment!”

As Ollie collided with Robin, Robin grabbed the top of the Fire Mouse’s head, being pushed back slightly by the force of the tackle, but no worse for wear.

“Now! Counter with Arm Thrust! Push him back!”

With a grunt of effort, Robin shoved Ollie off of him before unleashing a flurry of blows. While most of the strikes did not deal major damage to Ollie, the Fire Mouse was forced to give ground to avoid taking the worst of the blows until it was pushed away from the centre.

“Good! Hold your ground!”

Replying with a confident grunt, Robin then took a defensive stance, ready to take another blow from Ollie.

Anneliese's eyes widened at the knowledge that she was indeed in the city. "That's incredible...how did they shrink a city down like this? Is it some kind of technology that has yet to be released to the rest of the world?"

She was surprised, and a bit disappointed, to find out that the girl wasn't an actress. When the girl introduced herself Anneliese instinctively went to her introduction mode. Crafted through many years of being introduced to other family's children, usually so that she would keep them company while their parents talked business, and found herself straitening out and holding out her hand. Barely holding Leopold under her other arm.

"Anneliese Faraday. A pleasure to make your acquaintance Miss Fournier." She felt squirming under her arm. "This is." More squirming. "Leopold...oh what ARE you doing?"

The Shinx had managed to wriggle free and was now heading off towards...was that a battle?

"Sorry, excuse me." She said to Olivia and chased after her Shinx yet again. Barely catching him before he dove into the fight himself. "Oh, you, that is not how one conducts themselves and you know it."

She found herself too close to the battle for comfort, and fell backwards in her haste to back away. "G-goodness, do battles in such small cities usually happen out of the blue like this? What a wild place I've found myself in..."

xrkugze.png

“Oh...Right. Got a little carried away!”

"Yeah. Guess we should, huh. Good thinking Raincoat. C'mon Lenny. let’s take this outside."

These boys would probably get into trouble on their own. At the very least, it gave Ran another reason to join them for this map thing. Keeping them out of trouble. It was strange to her that she'd only just now started meeting people after leaving the Lake of Rage, and already was tied up into the start of an adventure with two strangers. But also exciting!

“Hey! Who said you could call me Lenny!”

There was also that. Ran added her own contribution as she and Orion followed the two boys outside. "Likewise! I'm wearing one, but my name isn't Raincoat, it's Ran!"

"This is as good a spot as any, I'd say."

An empty lot, with some trees and stuff. This was the small area the boys had settled on for their battle, and the pair of Ran and Orion - meant to merely spectate - sat on the sidelines, against the trunk of one of the lot's trees over on the side. The fight started with an exchange of blows between Ollie and Robin, an exchange which ended in the latter holding his ground roughly in the center of the field. Then, out the corner of her eye, Ran spotted something else. A different pokemon, seemingly eager to join the fray, was about ready to leap into the battle himself... only to be stopped by a girl. Must have been his trainer.

"Oh, you, that is not how one conducts themselves and you know it. G-goodness, do battles in such small cities usually happen out of the blue like this? What a wild place I've found myself in..."

"Maybe," Ran shrugged. Even a smaller city like this one was still bigger than the little town Ran was used to, so it wasn't really her place to say if this was normal. Most of the battles where she came from were to help one of the local gyarados let off some steam. She patted the grass next to her, as she said "Take a seat and watch them if you want."

"Heh, not too bad!" Trey exclaimed, swiping his index finger underneath his nose as Ollie jumped backwards, kicking up some dust when he landed. "Looks like that Heracross is a little too strong to take on with a direct approach. Whaddya think bro, wanna try some finesse?"

Ollie looked back at his trainer, giving Trey a nod in the affirmative before fixing his gaze back on Robin. "'Atta boy. Show 'em a smokescreen!" Ollie complied, charging back in toward his opponent before abruptly changing direction, diving to the left as flame exploded out from his back. As Ollie neared Robin, they fizzled and sputtered, before emitting clouds of thick, black smoke.

"Now wrap 'em up!"

On cue the cyndaquil leapt into the air and spun, blasting hot gasses and soot down on the much larger bug type as he passed overhead. Oliie landed on his feet and hit the ground running, going for another pass on the opposite side and making sure Robin was completely covered by the thick haze as he jumped back over him. It was such that the Heracross would have to spend several moments vibrating his wings to disperse the heavy cloud- a technique Trey and Ollie had practiced after having their screens blown away one too many times by eager flying types.

"And next, lets put some fear in 'em. Leer!"

Ollie dove into the cloud, and from where he stood, Lennox would just barely be able to make out the orange, menacing lights Ollie projected toward Robin as he darted around inside the cloud of smoke- the whole display thoroughly masking the Cyndaquil's actual location and hopefully throwing off the Heracross enough that he wouldn't be able to counter what was coming next.

"Fury Swipes!"

The moment Ollie had been wait for. He jumped through the smoke, digging his claw into Robin's carapace as he passed by him. Ollie turned on a dime when he landed, and jumped right back at the beetle, repeating the strike from another angle again and again, each pass dealing a little more damage and digging into Robin's exoskeleton just a bit deeper.

Olivia giggled at the thought of shrinking a city. It seemed that she was out of touch with the world outside her home, even moreso than Olivia herself. "It is a pleasure to meet you, miss Faraday. And what a lovely name you have~!" She said, placing her hand on her cheek.

While the girls were talking, Cerbi had his eyes on the Shinx, giving the small runt a deadly glare as it tried to break from its trainer's hold. The houndour couldn't help but grin as it watched the Shinx struggle, to no avail. His expression quickly became one of shock, however, when the electric cat managed to break free and made a run for it. Instinctively, Cerbi chased after the Shinx, barking after the Pokemon.

"Cerbi!" Olivia shouted, chasing after her own Pokemon.

She only managed to catch up to Cerbi when it stopped in front of a battle, the Houndour's eyes locked directly at the Shinx. Before it could do anything, however, Olivia placed her hand on top of the dog's head. "Bad Cerbi! What's gotten into you?" Olivia scolded, her face scowling at the Houndour. As Cerbi let out a whimper, however, her scowl seemed to melt as she went in for a hug. "Just don't do it again, ok~?" She said, before turning to what was happening around her. "Ah, a Pokemon battle!" She said, clasping her hands together. "It's just as exciting as I imagined it~!" She beamed, letting out a giggle as she watched the two Pokemon duke it out.

"Take a seat and watch them if you want."

Anneliese looked at the girl in confusion. "I do not condone stealing but even if I did." She looked around. "I see no seating. Was there supposed to be? This is a rather unorthodox venue..."

Her thoughts were cut off as she was suddenly covered in smoke. Which had come from the Cyndaquil. She coughed as the stray smoke entered her mouth. "G-goodness. H-how...t-terrible." She gasped, scrambling to her feet and covering her face as she ran off farther away from the fight. Past the other two who had come to watch at a much safer distance.

She didn't realize until she had passed them that her Shinx hadn't come with them. And in fact Leopold had gone in the opposite direction. Staring at the Cyndaquil's trainer the small Pokemon ran towards him and bit the boy's pant leg. Tugging at it and growling he looked up at him with what might pass for righteous fury for the small Pokemon. Anneliese gasped as she saw this but as she started towards the boy her eyes were drawn by the battle again and she hesitated. Not wanting to get in the middle of it again. "Oh, what should I do, Leopold come back here!" She called out.

"'Atta boy. Show 'em a smokescreen!"

Lennox’s bravado dropped into a sinking feeling as the Fire Rat started covering the battlefield in a choking cloud of smoke, making it nearly impossible to see what was going on. Over the hissing sounds of the growing smoke, Lennox could hear Robin chattering angrily as he dutifully held his ground.

“Robin! Clear that smoke!”

With a determined grunt, Robin began beating his wings as hard as he could, whipping up the smoke cloud and sending it in all directions. Despite his best efforts, the cloud still hid the elusive Ollie.

“And next, let's put some fear in 'em. Leer!"

“Robin! Do you see him?! Break out of there!”

Robin lowered his head, brandishing his horn towards the flickering lights that quickly circled him.

“Fury Swipes!"

Robin had little time to react as Ollie leapt from the smoke cloud and dug his claws into his side, throwing him off balance for a moment. When he regained his balance, Ollie had returned to the cloud before he could retaliate.

As the cloud cleared, Lennox was finally able to see Robin getting struck from all directions as the agile and elusive Ollie managed to evade retaliation. Hoping to rally his beleaguered companion, Lennox called out again.

“Endure! Wait for your moment again!”

Robin put his arms around his face, using his arms to absorb the cuts and slashes from Ollie, which became easier as the cloud cleared more, leaving Ollie with fewer places to hide and attack from. After a few more blows, only a small amount of smoke remained, making Ollie’s next strike clear.

“Now! Horn Attack that cloud!”

With a shout, Robin then charged at the cloud with his horn down at full speed, just as Ollie leapt from the cloud. The two collided, with Ollie caught by the end of the horn as Robin drove them into the tree line. Before losing the last of his momentum, Robin then threw his head up, sending Ollie flying off his horn and into the ground.

“You got him! Finish him off with-”

"Oh, what should I do, Leopold come back here!"

Lennox angrily spun to face the voice, only to see a girl wearing a large sun hat chasing after her cat-like Pokemon that was now angrily pulling at Trey’s pant leg.

“Hey hey hey! We’re in the middle of something here!” Lennox shouted exasperatedly at the interloper before turning back to the battle, “Robin, stop!”

"Ollie, watch it, he's-" Trey stopped as he felt a twinge of pain and a tug at his leg. He looked down to see a Shinx angrily biting his ankle. "Hey there pal, something the matter?" Without missing a beat, Trey, pulled his leg back a bit, bent down, and picked the fussy little pokemon up, giving him a friendly scratch behind the ears. The Shinx didn't seem to take kindly to it, though, and kept squirming and nipping at him, trying to break out of Trey's arms. Still, this was nothing compared to some of the shocks and bites he'd gotten from Volkner's pokemon when he was younger, and he ignored it and smiled when he heard what was pretty obviously the Shinx's trainer calling out.

"Oh, what should I do, Leopold come back here!"

Hey hey hey! We’re in the middle of something here! Robin, stop!”

Trey glanced back to the battle and saw his Cyndaquil on the ground. His smile disappeared as he did- looking away for an instant had nearly cost him the battle, but that was how things went sometimes. He started walking toward the girl- no, girls! There were three of them now, and as Leopold struggled in his arms he yelled over to Lennox. "Hey Lenny, we've got some company. Why don't we call it here? You guys pretty much have the win anyways!"

Hearing that, Ollie sprung to his feet, and in spite of the bruising darted right back over to his trainer as he put the girl's Shinx back down. "Guess that little rascal's yours, huh? He must be a handful." He looked back down as Ollie came up to him, and then squatted down, fist outstretched. "Great job out there bro. Pound it!" Paw met fist, and Trey fetched an Oran berry out of his bag for his partner before turning back to the assembled group. There was Ran, of course, Leopold's trainer: a pretty girl in a straw hat (score!), and another girl behind her who wasn't too hard on the eyes herself. She seemed to have a Houndour with her, which was sure to catch Ollie's attention once he was finished munching.

"I guess Rancoat already introduced herself. My name's Trey, and this here's Ollie." He gestured down to his cyndaquil, then stuck his hand out, offering either one of them a shake if they wanted to take it. "And you guys are?"

“Hey hey hey! We’re in the middle of something here!”

"Eep." Anneliese turned from fretting about her Shinx to the trainer of the other Pokemon. He seemed upset about something, and was directing it at her. She gave a short bow of her head. "I'm sorry for any inconvenience my Leopold has caused." She said.

Speaking of Leopold the Shinx was now growling at Ollie as the Cyndaquil approached. He seemed unsure if he wanted to focus more on the trainer or the Pokemon so he just spent turns growling at both. Though as Trey talked to Anneliese he focused back on him and ran out in front of him to growl.

Anneliese, now that the battle was over, hurried over and scooped Leopold up, holding him closely. "Sassy boy. Don't attack people." Though she scolding him she was still petting the Shinx. Happy to have him back by her again.

"And you guys are?"

It would be her second time introducing herself today but she was used to doing so from previous encounters. "Good day to you. I am Anneliese Faraday. And this is Leopold." She grabbed Leopold by the paw and had him wave at Trey. Though the Pokemon was still glaring at him.

Anneliese looked at Trey's hand in confusion. "Um...I'm so sorry, but mother told me not to give handouts to strangers." She said, thinking he was asking for money.

"Thank you~!" Olivia responded to the raincoat girl.

Olivia watched on with awe, although it didn't take long for her new friend's darling Pokemon to interrupt the battle. Cerbi simply sneered as one of the boys tackled the Shinx, holding it in his arms. "Oh my." She said, placing her hand over her Houndour. "What a crazy little cutie he is. Not like you my baby~!" She said, scratching Cerbi behind the ear, causing his tail to wag. "Let's go talk to the locals." She said, before turning back towards the boy, who was now walking towards them.

The boy, who introduced himself as Trey, also introduced the other ones, and extended his hand out. Olivia always found this practice between commoners to be exceptionally strange, and she wasn't about to partake in it now. Instead, she simple gave the boy a short bow. "I am Olivia Fournier - you have the pleasure of just calling me Olivia, though." She said, before gesturing to Cerbi, who was already stepping up like a show dog, his head tilted to the side and his eyes close. "And this is my precious Cerbi." She turned back to Trey, before turning to the others. While Trey had introduced himself, she seemed like she was waiting for them to do their own introductions anyways.

Edited by REP

xrkugze.png

"I do not condone stealing but even if I did. I see no seating. Was there supposed to be? This is a rather unorthodox venue..."

This girl was the unorthodox one. She probably took that a bit too literally. Maybe it was best to clarify. On the other hand...

"Thank you~!"

This other girl got the idea at least. Ran watched as the fight went on for a bit longer, but suddenly, it was cut short. Trey was giving up. Not the best way to wrap up one's first battle, was it? But at the same time, was Ran even in a position to make that kind of judgment when she'd never even had her own first battle yet? In any case, it looked like it was time to do some introducing.

"I guess Rancoat already introduced herself. My name's Trey, and this here's Ollie."

"That's not my name!" Ran interjected.

"Good day to you. I am Anneliese Faraday. And this is Leopold."

"I am Olivia Fournier - you have the pleasure of just calling me Olivia, though. And this is my precious Cerbi."

"Ran Kuroki. Nice to meet you. My partner is a Staryu named Orion." She didn't feel like letting him out of his poke ball right this moment. Not with all these other people and pokemon running around. Knowing him, he'd do something to start some trouble. Ran didn't want to be held accountable for that.

shizuka_banner.png

"Then, it's you and me," Shizuka said - mostly to herself - looking at the poke ball in her hand. Inside it was a Vulpix. MapCo's Vulpix. Her Vulpix. She'd gotten the map stakes like she was supposed to, did some light shopping, and with that, it was time to get to work. Spread these bad boys throughout the Johto Region to update MapCo's map. That was what she'd been told to do, and she was gonna do it. Starting here, in fact. Shizuka had done some looking around town. None of these stakes had been planted anywhere in town. And so, the girl had sought out a vacant lot to plant one.

What she didn't account for was the aftermath of a pokemon battle. One with a few spectators, at that. Given their small pokemon, they must have been inexperienced trainers. They all seemed to be from rather different backgrounds too, simply from their respective manners of dress. For a bunch of new trainers to be in this town today, from all over the world...

Well, there was only really one logical conclusion, wasn't there?

No map stakes in sight. That was something. Maybe nobody had thought about that? Shizuka couldn't say she'd blame them.

She didn't offer much in the way of greeting. Merely a glance in their direction, before sitting down at a spot on the vacant ground, and procuring then installing one of the map stakes she'd been entrusted with. What was she even supposed to say to them?

"Eep. I'm sorry for any inconvenience my Leopold has caused. "

Lennox groaned in frustration in response to the girl’s half-hearted response. Airheads like her were a common sight in the private schools of Goldenrod; having one of them possibly causing his first battle of his official Pokemon career to be a draw was an unwelcome intrusion from home.

"Hey Lenny, we've got some company. Why don't we call it here? You guys pretty much have the win anyways!"

Well that settles that!

“Good job buddy! First win of our career!” Lennox cheered as he ran up to the ragged Robin, who gave a tired response, flopping onto his back in a dramatic display of fatigue.

“Ah jeez, hold on. We’ll get you patched up,” Lennox said as rummaged through his backpack, pulling out a Super Potion from his bag and spraying the concoction onto the gashes left by Ollie on Robin’s exoskeleton. The instant it touched the wounds, they started to knit themselves closed.

“There ya go buddy. You ready to go?”

Robin gave a confident grunt before leaping to his feet.

“That’s the spirit! Let’s get going-”

As Lennox got up, he saw that Trey was introducing himself to the newcomers. Not wanting to be left behind, he turned back to Robin.

“-Right after we find more people to travel with.”

Puffing up his chest, he then barged into the group with a cocky smile.

“And I’m Lennox Doyle!” he said with bravado, “And this here is Robin, my trusty companion! Are you all here for the MapCo thing? It’s a great excuse to go travelling!”