Sethera

Fire Emblem: Curse of the Goddess [IC / Conditional Acceptance / PG-16]

hWTfe96.png

<OOC>

Excerpt from Chapter 1: Shaky Beginnings

Date: August 23rd, Year 556
Time: 9:00 AM (Terce)

BGM

To Your Royal Majesty King Reginald of Galtea, Head of House Nabudis, Archduke of Augusta, and my Honored Father,

I hope this letter finds you well. I regret to inform you that, while I am alive and unharmed, I bear grave news. Despite what you may have heard, I was kidnapped by goddess sympathizers and barely escaped. I will not mince words. They took me to a church within Pontus, and used my blood in a dark ritual to revive the goddess. Unfortunately, they succeeded. Fortunately, they didn't succeed in full, though even partially revived, She is a force to be reckoned with.

My apologies, father, but I cannot return just yet. Although Pontus may have been the ultimate cause of my kidnapping, the ones who did so were citizens of Galtea. The Pontics have been desperately searching for me, and I fear, if I return to the capital, I would be walking into a trap...

I will set out for Sochen within the day, where I hope to find sanctuary far from Pontus's borders while I determine my next course.

Written at Castle Balfon on the twenty-first day of the month of August, in the year of our hero-king, five hundred and fifty-six.

Per your daughter,

Catriona of House Nabudis, Heir Apparent

9RkO3zy.png

An intake of breath, and the letter found itself crumpled within a mailed fist. The owner, a white-haired man in ermine robes, breathed out through his nose. "Really..." he muttered. "That girl...does she have no sense of self-preservation? Still...to think they would be so bold as to pull this..." He paced his chambers, brow furrowed. "They've gone too far this time...not just the snakes from within, but Pontus as well."

He strode from the room, cape billowing behind him. "Looks like they all need a reminder on how I earned my title." The Winter King. Tempered in governance, but forged in battle.

9yfCxBL.png

BGM

Since then, Catriona and company faced many challenges in their journey. Their goal was to find the Great Dragon, who would hopefully be able to assist in defeating the goddess or sealing her away. The initial group composed of Catriona, Malu'kai, Anaïs, Meifing, a small town fighter named Alois, Catriona's sister Penelope, her knight Gunther, Feray, and a wandering swordsman named Asura came across a blacksmith named Jake being accosted by bandits. They defeated them with the help of a young man who looked fresh from the farm, a Pontic named Edrick. Unfortunately, Anaïs had to leave soon afterward, and Edrick was heavily injured.

The group accompanied Jake to Ithome, Sector Three. Along the way, Feray left the group, but they met a girl named Tarizo, who joined temporarily. In Ithome, Meifing left the group, but they came across Link, a former Galtean soldier, now a library guard. He led them to the city hall, where they were turned away by Councilman Silas. Meanwhile, Edrick, who had just finished recovering from his wounds, was ambushed by street urchins, only being saved by the timely arrival of the rest of the group and a noble in disguise named Ciela. The group set out not long afterward and met Sienna, a girl wearing a hood to disguise the fox ears atop her head.

Joined by Sienna, the group reached Sector One, where most of them decided to head for the library to research information on the Great Dragon's whereabouts. Ciela, on the other hand, decided to go shopping, but an altercation with a rogue left her paralyzed from the waist down. Meanwhile, in the library, Sienna discovered a secret passage, but at the bottom, a scene straight out of a murder mystery awaited them. Not long after, the group was arrested and taken to the City Hall where they were interrogated by the Three Councilmen. They spent another day in the city, but soon had to leave, laden with presents from a mysterious man named Santa. Asura left them at the gate.

Headed to the Pelinna region, the group encountered yet more bandits, a shaman named Azar, a wolf cub named Rohns who began to follow Link around, and the Pelinna Patrol, a group of volunteers who patrolled the region to keep it free of bandits. Among them was a young bow thief named Tsetseg. The group was soon divided after being ambushed by fox Proteans who thought them to be kidnapping Sienna, who as it turned out, was the chieftain's daughter. While some were taken away by the foxes, the rest joined forces with the frog Proteans, including a frog of little words named Shiro, and the patrol. The two sides were on high alert ever since one of the frogs was murdered, and the fox tribe's treasure was stolen. The frogs marched on the fox village, where it looked as if a fight would break out, especially seeing as the fox chieftain looked to be under a spell of sorts, save for the timely arrival of a horde of bandits. Joining forces, with foxes, frogs, and humans all working together, the group managed to defeat them. The next day, Azar left, but the group was joined by a pegasus knight named Adelaide, who, unbeknownst to them, was actually a former cavalier named Adelheid, who had served on both sides of the Great War. Licorice, a black fox with hidden motives, joined as well.

After leaving the forest, the group came across an abandoned shrine to the goddess, a church that was little more than a single tower and an altar, with broken-down walls surrounding it. It seemed harmless enough, but when night fell, a horde of what Licorice called "Awakened" attacked them. However, yet more Awakened arose to help them, their eyes a brilliant white rather than blood red. A woman astride a horse calling herself L'Arachel also came to their aid. The battle was long and arduous, but at long last, the group stood triumphant.

9yfCxBL.png

Chapter 5: Creeping Darkness (continued)

aGY7BFW.png
Date: 8th of Ramesoth, Year 556
Time: 3:00 AM (Lauds)

BGM

Catriona breathed a sigh of relief, rubbing her head and wincing when her hand came away wet with blood. A horde of undead...just what she had wished to wake up to. Still, every one of them was alive, and that was an outcome she hadn't dared hope for, not with just how many undead there were. More than she could count even were she given minutes on end. She would call it a miracle that they were still alive and whole, but she knew the real reason, and it was not something as unreliable as that.

Their Awakened allies, and the strange girl astride the horse...L'Arachel, she had called herself. Not to mention the undead villagers that had risen from the ground as soon as the enemy Awakened had gone south, and into the graveyard. The dead did not like being disturbed. Though unskilled in battle, and equipped with nothing but farming tools, they were brave. Yet now, as the last of the Awakened had finally fallen--one that had seemed a little smarter, a little stronger, but in the end just as susceptible to getting stabbed--they started to crawl back to the graveyard, the white light that had shone from their eyes flickering like a dying candle. Even the pegasus that Edrick had ridden faded away, its purpose served.

One, an elderly-looking Awakened, stopped in front of her. "Many thanks," he rasped. "This place...has always been our home, and always will be. No matter what...outsiders do." His mouth turned down into a frown. "Once...we were a village. Built around this church." He waved a hand. "Now...this is all that's left. The rest...burned to ashes. Please..." he said, grasping hold of Catriona's hands. His own were cold. "Please...find the priest. It is because of the priest...Father..." he coughed. "We are ourselves. Not slaves, hearts warped by Her rage." He released her hands, but a small bullion remained. "The last...of my savings. Hid it...from the soldiers..." He hobbled to one of the graves, one that looked a little nicer than the others, and like the rest, closed his eyes and sank into the ground.

Now all that remained were the original five.

Save for Dua, who was currently preoccupied in healing the group alongside Ciela and L'Arachel, the allied Awakened were not doing much of anything, as if they were waiting. Waiting to die once more? What a morbid thought. And yet, such thoughts had kept her company for nights on end now. She turned her gaze to where Licorice stood nearby, nearly untouched. It seemed almost unreal that such a person could stand there so calmly, as if she hadn't just shown off a near inhuman speed in the battle prior. But then, perhaps that was the point. She wasn't human.

A sudden soothing feeling shook Catriona from her musings. Turning, she gave her thanks to the white-eyed priest above her, who nodded at her and moved on. While she would feel dizzy for a while from blood loss, the feeling would eventually go away. The woman stood, marching to the northern exit of the shrine, where the bodies of the enemy Awakened were long since gone, dissolved into wisps of red smoke. Shivering, she turned back, and stopped, seeing a glowing figure above the altar.

"What mad--?!" but before she could finish, the glowing died down, showing the figure to be transparent. The woman took a few steps back automatically, before gritting her teeth and stepping forward.

The allied Awakening all let out gasps of shock, Unil most of all. He stepped forward, a look of pure, heartbreaking longing on his face. "Father?" he whispered.

BGM

The figure, who on closer inspection looked to be an older man in the raiments of a priest, gave a sad smile. "Yes," he replied. "It is me, my son," he looked at the rest of the Awakened, shaking his head. "Stubborn as always. Even now, you refuse to leave."

To Catriona's surprise, every single Awakened started to tear up, a couple even breaking down into sobs. Whoever this man was, he was important to them.

"Thank you," the man said, turning his solemn gaze to the group. "The invaders likely arrived because of you, but even so, you defended this place, and soothed the restless spirits that lingered." He paused. "The path you walk is a hard one, but it is not impossible." His smile turned wry. "Though it seems odd coming from a man of the cloth, I give you my blessing. Perhaps you might be able to return things to how they once were."

"Then," the lord leaned forward, unease temporarily buried. "Do you have anything to advise? Know you where the Great Dragon lies?"

The man shook his head. "I have no such knowledge, yet I can offer you a different kind of aid." He paused. "It is only due to my strong attachment to this place, and the goddess's power, that I am here, but as the abbot, I have a responsibility to all who come seeking succor." He bowed his head and closed his eyes, muttering a prayer in what Edrick would recognize to be Pontic, though of an archaic variant. Soon after, the altar glowed with a brilliant white light. "A long, long time ago, this place was known as Alltrades Abbey. People would come from far and wide to embark on new beginnings, leaving their pasts behind." He lifted his head to stare straight at the group. "I am Abbot Jack, the last of a long line of abbots blessed with the power to change the path one walks, even their very fates." His eyes seemed to pierce through every single person there. "But be warned, not all change is for the better. Those who seek improvement in one area will inevitably lose strength in another. We were not made perfect beings, though we may strive for it." He started to speak again, though this time his voice changed from a feathery whisper to a commanding boom. "Now. You who seek to change yourself, step forward."

Catriona hesitated. This was her chance. The chance to change her cursed fate. Were she to step forward, perhaps she could even cast off the yoke of royalty, and live her life as a simple woman, free of the worries that plagued her. Yet, no. She shook her head. Were she to do so, then it would not relieve the pressure, only transfer it. To her sister. And that, she could not let happen. And what of their quest? The goddess was still out there, tonight was proof of that. She would not give up so easily, so neither would Catriona.

No, she could not afford to cast aside her class. A lord she was, to her very bones, and that would never change.

But as for the others...that was a different matter. She had no control over their decisions.

OOC

Spoiler

A new forum, and a new beginning! Did a bit of a time skip since most of you voted for that, and we find out just what we missed. More Awakened came to help the group, though weak, and the rest of the horde was taken down, including a slightly stronger Awakened. Now, we find out that the shrine used to be called Alltrades Abbey. Abbot Jack, the ghostly figure floating above the altar, is here to introduce a very important new mechanic for this RP.

Class changing! Along with stat changing.

That's right, folks. Now, you can change your class and/or stats to something else. You cannot promote, but you can change classes laterally, for instance, from a barbarian to a mage. However, you can only choose from the base classes available here. You can also tweak your stats if you are unhappy with them. Like if you gave yourself too much Strength and not enough Magic. You must still have the same base stat total that you started with, save for Catriona, Penelope, Alois, and Link, who can increase their total to 34 if they want. Everybody else is already at 34 or above.

Edited by Waluigi

x0mgaxu.png?1

There had definitely been more normal nights then this one. Alois was not expecting to start his night off with an invasion of a hundred undead soldiers hellbent on killing all of them, nor was he expecting any of the allies that followed. But, quite like traveling back in time, this was just a thing that happened and as the bodies disintegrated into smoke, the boy simply shrugged and just let oddities be oddities. There was a lot that he still did not understand, and the sudden ghost abbot was one such thing. Yet, though he didn't fully grasp the idea behind the ghost's abilities, he understood that it was a way to make himself stronger. Alois, knew that he was strong and he knew that he was able to give the Awakened a run for the money in a contest of raw strength. However, it had also become apparent to him that were he to take these contests he would've stood no chance against any more than one opponent. Looking to all of the other people here, he had seen them take blow after blow standing steadfast and not falling to the constant swarm of Awakened attacks and from the scrapes he did receive from them he became keenly aware of one fact. He could not do the same. 

Walking up to the Abbot, the young fighter still had a smirk on his face that masked his own shaken confidence. Speaking up towards him he asked, "so, you have some kind of magic to make us stronger then? Well, if you want to take the challenge of making me better, then go ahead. I dare ya." The Abbot, likely seeing through this faux taunt simply complied with the boy and worked whatever strange powers he had. 

All at once Alois saw a brief sudden flash of images and sounds - more akin to memories than anything else. The boy saw himself with the milita back in his hometown and whereas before he was sure he had just brushed off any instruction he was given, this time he had paid more attention to the instructor. He had picked up more on how to actually fight with less reckless abandon and be more on the defensive against foes. There was also a brief period of time that flashed before his eyes where instead of chopping trees he started tackling trees to build up his endurance and hardiness. This, of course, did not happen for very long. 

When all was said and done, Alois blinked with a clearly surprised expression on his face. It felt a bit off but, he was positive everything he had just seen had happened and after a brief moment of confusion just shook it off. Feeling somewhat sturdier as well, Alois looked to the man and said, "alright. You win."

"Oh, oh, oh! Me next, me next!" The exuberant form of Tsetseg, who seemed to really want to jump on this opportunity for reasons the boy couldn't quite discern, had bounded towards the Abbot. Looking eagerly at him, she also seemed to zone out for a second, before snapping back in confusion. Wiggling her fingers a bit, she looked ecstatic as she just let out a, "whooooooooaaa."

Not paying much attention beyond that, Alois decided to then address the second most pressing issue here. Looking at the newcomer girl on horseback, he said, "so, thanks for coming in and helping us and all but like...who the fuck are you?" 

Edited by Skaia

lcmI449.png?1

Gunther slumped to the ground as the last foe finally fell. His armor was damaged in many places. His body was sore and he was sure he was still bleeding from somewhere.

Yet he felt...good? There was something triumphant about this victory. He had been certain that they had no chance to all make it out alive and was preparing for the probability that he wouldn't make it to morning. Yet he still stood, or rather knelt, and the enemy was gone.

Though it'd be nice if he could get up. Even as he was healed he still felt far too sore to do much more than shift into a more comfortable sitting position. It was likely good he decided this because he wasn't sure he'd be able to stand up as what looked to be a spirit appeared. The man, if he counted as a man, seemed to wish no ill intent and in fact there was a feeling of peace about him that made Gunther let down his guard.

He made them an offer. To change. Grow. Become something different and perhaps better than they were.

Gunther thought about it for a few moments but then shook his head. "I...wish to see where my current path leads yet." came his response. Perhaps a day would come he'd regret this choice, he always did want to try horse-riding, but for now the idea of making such a change felt uncomfortable.

aonB0Ia.png?3

Penelope had so much to investigate. First, she had gone to Licorice. "You were truly incredible out there you know." the girl praised the Fox woman. "I haven't seen anyone move that fast before. It's not a stretch to say we wouldn't have broken through their line without your aid."

Shortly after her attention was drawn to the mysterious woman who had appeared from nowhere. She hadn't seen much of the woman's fighting herself but she could tell there was something odd about it.

But then her path was interrupted as the apparition made it's appearance. She tried to bombard them with questions about the workings of this magic that he was to bestow upon them but the responses were rather cryptic. "There's nothing I've read that shows this is even possible." Penelope had said. To which the man responded that no, there wouldn't be. Which made the princess all sorts of confused. How could something like this exist without documentation?

She heard Alois speak to the newcomer but, before Penelope went to her, there was something else she felt she had to do.

She moved to where Unil and the others were and bowed her head down. "I thank you for your assistance. And I apologize for whatever happened to you. I know it was not me, nor do I know if it were my people, but I still offer you my apology for whoever it was that wronged you to make you protect this place so fiercely."

Well, another day, another evil bested. L'Arachel felt rather proud of herself as she sat, uninjured, atop her mount and healed these poor souls from a distance. Ah, but it felt so grand to be able to aid such a miserable and destitute lot as this. It was clear they had fallen on hard times and who better than to grant them relief than herself?

"so, thanks for coming in and helping us and all but like...who the fuck are you?" 

L'Arachel stared down at the young man in utter disbelief. "Who am I? Who are you to talk to me in such a tone? Why, I've never heard such foul things spoken in the presence of a lady coming from someone who wasn't a criminal. I hope that I did not sour my divine radiance by working with such a man." She cleared her throat lightly and somehow sat even straighter on the back of her horse. "I am L'Arachel, the Holy Princess of Rausten, Divine Messenger of Peace, and Smiter of all things Evil."

Link barely got his blade up in time to intercept the rusted spear. He was barely able to divert the swing, but the ungodly strength behind the attack sent him sliding back several feet. “Gah!” he gasped, his arm radiating with pain. “Edrick!”

“On it!” The farm-boy swooped down from above and buried his lance into the Awakened’s neck, but the undead juggernaut still didn’t fall. It bellowed in defiance and shook its head, almost tearing Edrick off of his mount, but the boy managed to tear his weapon free and return to the air.

The battle was winding down around them, but the absolute behemoth they were fighting had come into the battle late and shaken off everything they had thrown at it. Link snatched his Rough Blade out of the dirt and charged toward it again. “Tsetseg, cover me!” 

The chipper archer clicked her tongue and nocked an arrow. “You got it!” Within seconds, several arrows had ‘thwunked’ harmlessly into the Awakened’s skin. 

The monster reacted the same way a human would to a flea. It raised a hand to block the hail of stinging sticks. Link scrounged up an extra burst of speed to close the gap between them. The zombie finally saw him coming at the last second and raised its lance (so rotted it was basically a club) to smash him, but he ducked under the attack and put everything he had into a herculean swing at the monster’s neck. 

It wasn’t enough. His blade tore through rotted sinew and blood vessels until it struck bone, but that was all that he had in him. The Awakened grunted and swatted him away; even through his mail Link felt his ribs screaming from the impact. His sword still dangled from the zombie’s neck. I’m too weak… it wasn’t a sudden realization to the man, but one that he had been denying since he was with the guards in Histia. A mixture of malnourishment, decline in training, and massive depression had significantly weakened him in the year since he had left behind his life as a soldier. 

Lucky for him Edrick had managed to wrest control of his undead-steed again. “Just die already!” Edrick’s voice was loud enough to pierce the self-pitying haze that had clouded the mercenary’s mind. He lifted up his head just in time to see Edrick to divebomb and stab his lance through the Awakened’s forehead; the momentum of the attack pushed the iron weapon straight through the rotted skull, out of the back of the head, and then carried the monster to the ground and pinned him there. Edrick’s inexperience lead him to losing his balance and falling off the pegasus himself, but it was at such a low altitude he rolled harmlessly and scrambled back to his feet.

Link breathed a sigh of relief and allowed himself to sag back to the ground. He ached all over and his mail had so many holes in it he was going to have to replace it, but no one had died. The dawn had come at last. He laid on the ground and just soaked it in for a few minutes. 

It wasn’t until Dua came over to heal his wounds (ignoring his exhausted protest in the process) that he got up and went to rejoin the group. He collected his sword from the monstrous Awakened’s neck along the way, wiping the gore off on the grass, and grimaced. 

He should have been able to end the battle there. Why hadn’t he? He tried to rationalize his failure by telling himself that the attack would have killed a normal human, but it did nothing to ease the coil of panic winding tighter inside his stomach. With Inera as their opponent, not many of their enemies would be human, so that wasn’t even a reasonable excuse. He was just weak. 

------------

Link had always considered himself reasonably lucky. He had stumbled his way into the most famous military force in Mysia, bumbled into being the youngest Night Wolf in history, and then somehow run into both of the crowned princesses in Histia of all places while working as a library guard. None of that had prepared him for a literal ghost showing up and saying he could rewrite their pasts to make them stronger, or even change the classes they had chosen to follow. 

He was nervous. Too nervous to act at first, but the final fight kept playing in his head. He looked at Catriona, lavender-white hair stained red from a head wound, and then at Penelope, young and too wet behind the ears to be in such dangerous battles. He looked at Gunther, and remembered the panic in the Knight’s voice as the man begged him not to die. 

He couldn’t afford to be weak. 

Link stepped forward and dropped onto one knee, bowing his head and pressing his fist to his heart. “I don’t know how magic works, Abbot, and a simple mind like mine probably never will,” he said, “but you smack of an honest man so I’ll trust you. I don’t want my path changed; I’ve given my life to the sword and one day it will collect its dues, but until that day… I’d like my strength back, sir.”

The Abbot drifted toward the soldier slowly. An inexplicable calm washed over Link as he did. “Such a heavy burden for a man so young… You carry the guilt of many men with you. What is your name, my child?”

Link shifted uncomfortably. “Lincoln Harkinian, sir.”

“Tell me, Lincoln Harkinian, why do you seek such strength?” Abbot Jack asked. “Why not rest? Not very many would fault you for retiring after everything you’ve done for Galtea.”

“I can’t,” Link responded, faster than was probably expected. “Crown and country have need of my sword now more than ever.” He looked around at the group, scattered now, talking with their mounted-savior and among their own ranks. He lowered his voice and said, “they need my sword more than ever. Only a coward turns his back on his duty.”

“If it is what you wish, my child,” the Abbot said, and then laid a hand on Link’s shoulder and whispered a few words under his breath.

Link was swept up in a stream of consciousness that carried him away from the shrine. He watched as the days he skipped working out, meals he didn’t eat, and nights he didn’t sleep were completely rewritten by the Abbot. “It is done,” he heard Abbot Jack’s soothing voice from somewhere, and then he slammed back into his body in the shrine.

“. . . .” Link rose to his full height and stretched his arms experimentally. Muscles that hadn’t been there before bulged in his triceps and biceps, and his clothing strained to stretch over his now thoroughly-filled out shoulders. Even the eternal ache from his cold was gone. He felt simultaneously overwhelmed and underwhelmed by the changes. He was himself again; roughly one-hundred and sixty-five pounds of corded muscle and Galtean steel, and not the emaciated wraith he had become...physically. Emotionally he was still the same guilt-ridden man he had been moments before, which wasn’t surprising, but a part of him had been convinced it was just his physical condition that was responsible for his discontent. 

Also his belt was so tight now that it was choking the life out of him, thanks to the literally magical development of almost fifty pounds of muscle. Slightly red in the face, Link moved his belt out a few notches before thanking the Abbot and returning to the group. 

Edited by Cheshire Toon

Sienna breathed a sigh of relief as she transformed back to normal. She was down on her knees taking deep breaths, both beaststones in her hands. "I... Do not want to see... Another zombie... As long as I live..." she said as she stood back up. But no sooner when she said that, a large bright light surrounded the place before revealing another spirit. A spirit that seemed to be on a higher plane than the others as they kneeled before it.

After the spirit talked with the princess he turned to the whole group. "I am Abbot Jack, the last of a long line of abbots blessed with the power to change the path one walks, even their very fates." His eyes seemed to pierce through every single person there. "But be warned, not all change is for the better. Those who seek improvement in one area will inevitably lose strength in another. We were not made perfect beings, though we may strive for it." He started to speak again, though this time his voice changed from feathery whisper to a commanding boom. "Now. You who seek to change yourself, step forward."

Sienna's ears twitched as she walked over and stood beside Licorice. "Uh... Licorice... Do you understand what this spirit means by change?" she whispered.

Many things happened. The battle was heated, and Remy struggled hard to keep up with the movements from the rest of the group. Even Ciela herself was drained, healing so much in such a short time took a toll on her stamina. Had it not for the white-clad valkyrie that came to their aid, the battle would surely take longer and longer to the point of Ciela's own collapse out of fatigue. But more importantly now, everyone survived. Even Link, who had his many close calls, had managed to survive well into the end of the battle. That alone made Ciela happy.

At the time of rendezvouz however, something that Ciela could never expect happened. The Father of the ruined church made his appearance in all of his ghastly glories, and while he couldn't give the group a direction, he instead offered something even more unthinkable. At first, Ciela was unsure what he meant on how he would be able to change the path each of them were taking, but then she saw what happened to Link. She saw it with her own two eyes that Link regained his long-lost strength, physically growing in body mass right before her eyes. If the bishop and this place was able to do it, would it mean...

Ciela gulped. Of course, regaining the function of her legs would be something that would be invaluable to her. Even if for the most part she managed to not at least be useless, even if she hadn't shown much grief over it lately, inside of her, she still really missed a lot being able to run freely on Remy's side. It was painful, remembering times where she was still able to walk.

Ciela remained silent for the time being, unsure on which path she would take.

Adel returned to Tyltalis' side and gave her some snacks as she listened to what the ghost of the bishop here had to say. The prospect of changing her path, again, seemed like it was a really tempting offer, but at the same time...well, it would be nice if she could have her old wound healed, but that would risk these people knowing more of her secrets. She preferred to change her own path with her own efforts anyway. Still, seeing Link managing to look a lot less like skin and bones was nice to see. It really did paint the image of Galtean pride within her mind. Well, that was more reason for her not to let her secret spill. This Link surely could gut her with ease.

"So...Link." Adel approached him as he returned to the group. "Fancy a sparring session once we're rested up? Not sure what sort of magic this place uses, but I'd like to see for myself how much of you have changed."

Shiro was exhausted to say the least. He didn't expect to be locked into battle with so many undead monsters just as tanky as he was. It was a true battle of wills, and in the end... well, Shiro didn't really win, not really. It was more like the others beat out the source. Hey, that was fine with him. They then met an abbot, one who offered them change, but... Shiro didn't think anything of it. What would he change into, a frog with wings? There just wasn't really anything he could change into. So he decided to stay at the sides, waiting for everyone else to finish.

He then overheard a conversation... one that both interested and confused him.

"so, thanks for coming in and helping us and all but like...who the fuck are you?" 

"Who am I? Who are you to talk to me in such a tone? Why, I've never heard such foul things spoken in the presence of a lady coming from someone who wasn't a criminal. I hope that I did not sour my divine radiance by working with such a man." She cleared her throat lightly and somehow sat even straighter on the back of her horse. "I am L'Arachel, the Holy Princess of Rausten, Divine Messenger of Peace, and Smiter of all things Evil."

"A lot of fancy titles...," Shiro commented softly. "And royalty to...," She was trouble, he knew it. Still, he knew better than to speak up or against such people. "Well, thank you very much for your help, your Highness. Hopefully, we can repay you in someway," Honestly, most of it was lip service to make sure she wasn't angry at him. Usually, a happy royal would ask you to do something and then just ignore you. Hopefully that was the same principle applied here.

ljMHWp9.png

To say that the battle up to this point had been exhausting for Edrick might well have been an understatement. He was young and strong, and he knew it. So why did he feel so tired? This was not the first fight that they had been in, not even the first he had gotten severely hurt in, and he felt like he could barely stand at this point, let alone move. In spite of the healing he could barely feel his arms and legs, and the soreness in his chest felt like it went all the way down through the bones and into his heart. His lungs burned with every breath, and he found himself periodically coughing or spitting up the occasional glob of blood. As the last of the enemy Awakened had been felled and the Pegasus he had borrowed faded away, a haze had settled over him and he moved with the rest of the group without even being really sure of where he was going.

Did this fight even matter? He caught himself thinking, while the others began speaking with each other. His, now very worn and dirty, lance was thrust into the ground and he rested his weight on it in an effort to catch his breath as best he could. The rest of the group around him seemed faded and indistinct as his mind returned to what they had fought. To the red-eyed Awakened, a clear mockery of the promise that Inera had made to her faithful. And yet, that power could only have come from her. No one else could turn death backwards like that, and the indistinct dread he had been suppressing all this time finally burst through to the front. Was what he had been doing up to this point an affront to the Goddess? If it was, then why had Ciela been able to heal them? Why had the white-eyed Awakened come to their aid? Nothing made sense any more. It felt like the world had been turned on its head, and for a moment he thought about running away. About turning around, running back home, and never worrying about what was to come of this group's errand ever again. Maybe it was just exhaustion, but he could not bring himself to do that. Not here, and not now. Tears came unbidden to his eyes, and his grip on the lance clenched all the tighter as he struggled to remain quiet.

Eventually, he began to step forward. After all the others had approached the Abbot and said their pieces, had whatever it was they wished done to them, and all other business was settled he came to stand before the ethereal holy man whom he could hardly lift his eyes to see. Was he tired, ashamed, or afraid? Maybe all of them.

"Părinte de preot," he addressed the Abbot with the honorific for a priest and continued in his native tongue. "What happened here? All...all my life I have been taught that when The Mistress returns our ancestors to us-" his words caught in his throat, and he could not continue to speak. All that he could manage was to weakly raise his head, and look upon the Abbot with pleading, hopeful eyes. He wanted to beg him for an answer that would put this right, to tell him that everything was as it should be and that some heretic had been behind all of this. He wanted to ask for a problem that he could solve, but exhausted and afraid as he was he could not find the words.

As each person stepped up to the abbot, each hoping for something to change in their hearts, a young lord stood to the side and felt regret. Regret, because she did not have the freedom of choice that they did. Once, she did walk up, just to see, not to go through with it, but just, maybe...

The abbot shook his head at her. "Some things even I cannot change. I cannot bring back the dead, nor can I stop the death that may be. The only thing I can change are the small decisions that lead to a single path. Fateful events, loss of lives, they still remain." He glanced at Link as he spoke this.

Following his gaze, the white-haired woman saw the mercenary had filled out quite a lot since she had last laid eyes on him, which...happened to be just before he had stepped up to change himself. It was startling, and hit home a fact she had not realized till now. That the man had let himself waste away, and she, his friend, had not even noticed. Had she been so wrapped up with her own matters that she had been blind to the pains of others? What would Anaïs say about that, what would Rohns...

Which begged the question of what had happened to the wolf cub her now filled-out friend had brought? Had he run off?

She was distracted from that train of thought by the cultured voice of one of their helpers. Lahrushel--no, L'Arachel, as she called herself. An odd name, and an odder woman. Everything about her, from her style of clothes, her magic, her accent, even her name, was foreign. And when she properly introduced herself, it was as a princess?!

What mummery is this? Catriona thought, annoyed. Does she not know that there is no such thing as Rausten? The only princesses on the whole continent are myself and my sister. Still, she does not have the air of the lowbrow about her.

"A lot of fancy titles...," Shiro commented softly. "And royalty too... Well, thank you very much for your help, your Highness. Hopefully, we can repay you in someway." The fact that Shiro so readily believed her was startling. True, he was from a hidden village, but surely he would know of the various rulers across Mysia? Unless...

Unless Rausten is not a country, or...it is from a land not of Mysia.

"I hight Catriona, Princess of Galtea" the lord introduced herself formally, "Well met, Princess L'Arachel, and many thanks for your aid. I must admit to some confusion as to the whereabouts of your Rausten. May I ask where exactly that may be?" If the other was lying, the mere mention of her name would be enough to give any would-be liar pause. If she was telling the truth, however...well, she would have to put her training in foreign diplomacy to use once more. Or her sister would.

Meanwhile, Licorice turned to Sienna. "It is goddess magic," she explained, tone unreadable. "He is a follower of Inera from long ago, and was granted with power for dedicating his life to Her. And it seems that this power gives him the ability to change one's path to a certain extent. You were gifted a firestone, and found an affinity for magic, but if you wanted, he could make it so that you never found it at all. Perhaps you found an interest in archery instead, or a love for swordplay. He would gift you the subsequent ability. It is...a weighty power," she admitted.

The fox glanced at Ciela. "However, even that has its limitations." She couldn't say for sure whether the abbot would be able to perform "miracles" such as granting one the power to walk again. If he could, then that would be a terrifying power indeed.

Unil looked at Penelope with his pale eyes. "It is not...your people," he answered. "Many...years ago." He looked at the abbot. "Do not be sorry...we do not regret it."

After all other business was settled, Edrick stepped forward to the abbot, a question on his tongue. "Părinte de preot," he addressed the abbot with the honorific for a priest and continued in his native language. "What happened here? All...all my life I have been taught that when The Mistress returns our ancestors to us-" he stopped there, raising his head weakly to look upon the abbot with pleading, hopeful eyes.

The abbot smiled sadly down on him, answering, "Copilul meu," in traditional Pontic address, before continuing. "I see now it must have been you who cleansed this place. Thank you for that." He gazed out at the ruined building before looking back to Edrick, and the rest of the gathering. "This is not the first time I have seen the Awakened in action." The abbot glanced wistfully at the five who remained. "Back then, She would 'awaken' hordes, whose only goal seemed to be to add to their number in slaughter." The man took a breath. "I still remember hearing Her voice before She changed, when I ascended as abbot. Then, it felt as if I were washed in warmth, a child at my mother's side again. But when I heard it again, it came like the baying of hounds, out for blood as She ordered the deaths of the unworthy."

He sighed, looking older and frailer than before. "I am but a foolish old man. I cannot fathom the whims of The Mistress, nor can I explain Her actions. The Awakened have always been this way, though I confess they looked more...whole back then. The only noticeable difference between an Awakened and a living being were the eyes, which shone a brilliant red. I heard tell that before She changed, the eyes were white, perhaps like these ones here. I cannot say why that is, or even guarantee it as the truth. I can only hope that one day, She will return to the way She once was. It is, after all, that goddess that I grew to love and worship, not what She has become."

Catriona could not help but step forward then. "Then, you are from before? Do you know of Augustus?"

The abbot glanced at her. "Augustus? No, I have no idea who you could be referring to."

Which meant he had to be from before even Augustus. The very idea was staggering, but this entire frame of events was outrageous to begin with. And yet, it was all real. They were talking to a person from a time before their ancestors. An ancient time. Feeling overwhelmed, the princess backed away, leaning against the tower wall for support. This was just too much too fast. Battles she could handle. Enemies, who she could point a sword to and overcome. Even nobles, with their words lanced in venom, were not out of the question for her. But the supernatural, the goddess, that was something she could never truly get used to, even if she wanted to. The world was better off without adding holy magic to the mix.

Edited by Sethera

x0mgaxu.png?1

Alois felt a strange sense of both amusement and confusion as the woman seemed to be taken aback by his question and declared her various titles at him. He didn't really have any clearer an idea of who she was, but figured that Rausten was a place from Pontus. And given that his only experience with the pontics was either dead people or a man who shouted his faith in bloody murder, L'arachel's strangeness started making  more sense to the boy. "Right." He simply stated. "And I'm Alois of Phar, Chopper of Trees and Axer of all things that try to kill me. A pleasure to meet you." His tone was somewhat mocking of hers. As Cat had then come over to talk with her, Alois added, "yeah, and what brings a Holy Peace Smiter like you to the middle of nowhere like this?"

nALalDq.png?3

It took the Locrisian archer a few moments to get over the strange sense of strength that had washed over her after talking to the Abbot. However, she was able to get her bearings back again as she saw the Pontic and the Abbot discussing the goddess. The girl furrowed her brow, a bit unsure what to make of it all. It was obvious that the Goddess was evil; as far as the archer girl knew she always had been. And the corpses, while difficult to understand, could only have happened because of her. Which, of course made Tsetseg only more confused. The Awakened were evil because the goddess was evil, but they had also helped them which meant they were good, which would mean the goddess was good, but then she wouldn't be evil. And if she wasn't evil then that would mean everyone was a liar, but everyone wouldn't be a liar because they were all good people which meant - 

Were anyone to look at the young bow woman, it would almost appear as if smoke were pluming out from her brain as she was trying to rationalize it all. Seeming frustrated by it all, the girl let out a small grunt of frustration as she rubbed her hands through her head. "Man, this is so, so confusing. Why would all of them fight each other anyway? They're all Pontics so they should all be family, and family fighting each other doesn't make any sense." As she spoke this out, the girl seemed to realize there was something off - or rather familiar - about what she had just said, but couldn't quite place it. As she thought more on this, the girl merely seemed to go back into a deep, stressful, thinking. 

"Well, thank you very much for your help, your Highness. Hopefully, we can repay you in someway,"

"Ah, it seems that you have proper manners. Though your manner of dress does indeed baffle me. You may repay me by vowing to destroy the evils of this world when you see it! Ah, what a glorious thought."

"Well met, Princess L'Arachel, and many thanks for your aid. I must admit to some confusion as to the whereabouts of your Rausten. May I ask where exactly that may be?"

"yeah, and what brings a Holy Peace Smiter like you to the middle of nowhere like this?"

L'Arachel gave a light chortle. "A wood cutter and a princess in the same group. Why, you remind me of my good friend Eirika. Though I must say you are much more brutish than she was, Catriona. But that's a good thing, all the better for slaying evil!"

She put a finger to her chin. "Rausten is located in the east of Magvel, of course, though it's nowhere near this Galtea you speak of. Isn't that odd? Both princesses but neither have heard of the other. What strange happenstance that we happen to meet like this. Nay, not happenstance, serendipity!"

The Awakened group had separated themselves somewhat from the others as the Abbot talked with them. Feeling out of place and out of sorts. "Unil." Dua said. "I'm not...sure why...we're still here."

Unil nodded. "Perhaps it's...father. Once he's gone...we too."

Penvo shrugged. "It's nice...being back...not fighting."

Trim, however, was paying attention to the group. Specifically Tsetseg who was rambling on her own about...them. Trim moved towards her and tapped her on the shoulder to get her attention. "Not...family. Family here." He gestured at his group, at the Abbot. "Home...here. Protect home. Protect...family."

lcmI449.png?1

Gunther stayed quiet as the series of incredible events continued. He was starting to almost get used to such strangeness. Which wasn't something he could have possibly expected. He had always assumed his life would be for the most part calm. Work, keep the princesses safe, stay in the military until he could make his own shop or something and just settle down.

He wasn't sure he was happy for this unexpected change.

Though he had decided to just watch as everyone went about their business, he didn't feel like he had much to add to all this oddness, something did bother him. The way people were looking at Link. Which was made even more clear by Adel's words. "Fancy a sparring session once we're rested up? Not sure what sort of magic this place uses, but I'd like to see for myself how much of you have changed."

Gunther frowned and spoke up. "Excuse me." He said towards the two. "But I just...that is....what are you talking about? Link hasn't changed at all." As far as Gunther could tell he was still the same incredible soldier as before.

aonB0Ia.png?3

Penelope was in the process of exploding. At least that's how it felt. This was incredible! So many things happening now and now that she learned this spirit was from such a long time ago, a time with very little recording, she knew what she had to do.

She bounded over to the man, face lit up in excitement, and asked him. "Books. That is...surely you must have written down your history and teachings somewhere right? Could I perhaps see it for myself?"

The princess grew concerned at the sad smile that the Abbot gave her. It was Dua, however, who answered for the man. "This place was burned...ransacked...many years ago."

Penelope felt herself grow cold. "How...how could someone destroy something of such importance." She was utterly devastated...for a few moments. Then a mad gleam lit up in her eyes and she pulled out parchment and a quill. "Respected spirit....Tell me everything. I will rewrite your history myself!"

She didn't even for a moment consider just how difficult that would be.

Why couldn't she just agree? The opportunity was there. Ciela watched as others finished their deal with the abbot, but she couldn't bring herself to move forward. It should've been the easiest decision in her life. Why couldn't she just bring herself to the altar? Many days had passed since she had lost the functions of her legs and for the most part, she had gotten herself used to the situation. But even then, she still yearn for it to be returned. So, what was stopping her now?

It was nothing. Nothing but her pride. Being Ciela however, that pride meant a lot for her. The truth was, this entire event had been quite a frustration, even more so after she overheard (more like eavesdropped) more about it from Licorice's conversation with Sienna. A shrine and someone with the capability of doing the impossible? Ciela had done countless researches on the nature of the Goddess' magic, and with that, its limitations. She had read tales, many of it. She had read the writings of the one who preserved the teachings of the magic. None of it matched what she witnessed here. What she thought was an impossibility was reality here. The limitations of Inera's magic, all meant nothing in this place. It all felt so irritating.

It was frustrating. It was frustrating to know that what she desired the most was truly possible, yet her way of doing things would never allow her to do anything close to it. To her it felt that her hours of learning had been invalidated, no matter how she tried to believe this place was an abberation, an exception of an exception. But this place was just a shrine. The abbot was just a lingering spirit, not a God. Why could they command such a power? She was glad that at least he could not bring the dead back to life. That would've made her scream out as loud as she could.

And she still didn't even want to think about what this L'arachel person was doing here, using a magic long thought to be lost as carelessly as swinging a toy sword to children. While she did want to ask her about what the hell was up with her magic, for the most part Ciela was feeling that she'd rather punch this particular foreign princess on the face. Maybe it was her attitude, maybe it was just due to a hunch, but she felt that she might feel better if she did that.

She chose not to.

Instead, Ciela watched Edrick moving forward to the priest. He was shaken. It was unsurprising, seeing all that happened so far. Ciela wasn't a devout believer of the Goddess, but she was no stranger to the experience of having her own unquestionable belief on something to be shaken to the core. It was pitiful seeing someone usually so stalwart in this situation. Ciela felt compelled to help, but she knew only the priest's words would do anything for him. And so, she decided to move closer so she could also hear what they were talking about now.

What she learned was beyond what she expected.

This place was from ages beyond even the great war. There was a time when the Mistress of the Undeath was a benevolent goddess. There were a lot more to history than what had been covered in the books she scoured from her library. There really was more to the goddess than what she knew.

Somehow, knowing that calmed her a little.

There truly perhaps was a reason why she could somehow learn Inera's magic despite not worshipping the merciless goddess. This place too, it was ultimately blessed by Inera's power, and hers only. Why there was such a gap in what this place could do and everyone else was still a big question, but now she felt actually eager to find out rather than just wallowing in her own frustration. There were more to this magic than what anyone else alive right now could possibly know. So, it should be up to her to uncover the Goddess' secrets. Who else? It seemed like a good cause to dedicate herself in.

Well, it seemed that Penelope was also fired up, contrasting the helpless-looking Cat. Perhaps Ciela and her weren't really that different in the end.

She waited until Penelope's inquiries were answered before going forward herself.

"Greetings." Ciela greeted the priest with her best grasp on ancient Pontic. "Now that we're talking about the Goddess and all, I'm kind of curious. Scriptures and records had always talked about how the magic like what I use comes directly from the goddess, right? But back when I pushed myself to learn this for the first time, I didn't give any shit about the Goddess or anything, it kinda just happened that I could somehow use it. I'm glad that I could, but it's still quite confusing, you know? The hell did it even happen? Am I just blessed by the goddess for some reasons, or does the power somehow come from another source?"

She took a moment to pause. Taking a breath. Focusing herself.

"Then you talk about how the goddess used to be different back then. And that kinda got me thinking. Like, fucking hell, what you do here, what I do for a living, it's all to help people, right? Why would a wicked goddess grant the power that helps people to her followers? Something's amiss here. I grew up thinking that she was as evil as all the stories told me, but why would she hold command over sweethearts like Ed-boy here," Ciela pointed at Edrick as she said that, "and probably a ton others perfectly good people? Like you, and the others that still reside on this ruins. She couldn't be all bad, right?"

Was this supposed to be a sorry attempt of a theological debate? Ciela had no idea. She just would rather to run her mouth off right now. It felt super great, finally being able to speak this much.

"So yeah, while the others probably gonna try finding a way defeating her once and for all, I just want to understand all this. One day, I want to pass down this knowledge of her magic to people too, you know? So I hafta go all the way to the bottom of this, and I kinda need your help on that, sir Priest." Another pause, a sigh came out from her. "Please, tell me what is even up with this place and your magic. How does the Goddess grant all of this... miracles in this place? And...secondly, if it is possible, I would like to feel the magic here myself. I did a lot of stupid things back then, but if I wanted to do anything about all this, I kinda do wish I could take those all back. This is supposed to be a place I can start anew, right? Then so be it."

That took a lot from her. Ciela was panting, and even Remy was feeling uneasy. But Ciela had set her eyes on an objective. All that was left now was to wait, and hope for the best Perhaps, that was what faith was all about all these times.

Link’s ghostly gaze flickered to Adel as she approached. He still couldn’t explain it, but the pegasus knight put him on edge whenever she was around. "Fancy a sparring session once we're all rested up?” she said. “Not sure what sort of magic this place uses, but I'd like to see for myself how much of you have changed.”

The Galtean soldier caught himself just before instinctively shaking his head. He was used to turning down requests, used to avoiding fights, a habit that he needed to break. It took him a second to find the words, but he eventually responded, “yes ma’am.” It was an awkward and stiff reaction, another thing that he had to work on after being nonverbal for so long. “That is to say… ermgh… I would be happy to spar with you.”

He was thankfully saved from further conversation by the intervention of the horse-mounted mage that had come near to their aid at the end of the battle. Lost Satchel, or something like that. Link’s nose crinkled out of distaste. She reminded him of the snooty nobles that occasionally visited the Garou Regiment.

Catriona took the lead conversing with her, so Link chose to focus more on the rest of the group.

Edrick was struggling to cope with the fact that reality and his ideologies painted two different portraits of the Mistress of Undeath. Alois was still being smarmy. Penelope was utterly enraptured by the Abbot, and Gunther was actually still staring at him. The only people doing anything of particular note, aside from Cat, were Sienna and Licorice, engaged in a conversation about the Abbot’s magic. Link wondered why the fox knew so much about Inera and her followers, idly, before reminding himself not to jump to conclusions. It wasn’t his decision who traveled with him and she had arguably saved Catriona’s life during the fight.

Catriona stepped forward, interrupting Edrick’s crisis of faith to ask her own question. "Then, you are from before? Do you know of Augustus?"

The abbot glanced at her. "Augustus? No, I have no idea who you could be referring to."

Link was surprised (because everyone knew Augustus), but Catriona staggered back and collapsed against the wall as if the Abbot had physically attacked her. 

Normally stoic, Link’s expression softened. This, he was familiar with. Not from Princess Catriona, but from the dozens of soldiers he had seen it happen to during his time at the border. Overwhelmed, panicked, the threat of failure, death, or both looming over their heads; it wasn’t hard to believe that soldiers sometimes broke down for a little bit. He knew how to fix it too.

Link walked over to Catriona and cleared his throat. “Your Highness?” the rough edge of underuse was, at last, beginning to fade from his voice. “I was about to patrol the area for stragglers. Would ya mind helpin’ m--would you care to assist me?” Commander Marianne’s voice echoed in his head, scolding him repeatedly for his ‘uneducated, bumbling delivery’. He hated when his accent surfaced. “I would normally go alone, but with the battle we just fought…”

He awkwardly awaited her response. It wasn’t a total lie; he would normally go alone, he was just offering for her to tag along to get away from everything for a little bit. That and he was hoping to find some signs of Rohns’ and track the cub down, and four eyes were better than two.

Edited by Cheshire Toon

"Ah, it seems that you have proper manners. Though your manner of dress does indeed baffle me. You may repay me by vowing to destroy the evils of this world when you see it! Ah, what a glorious thought." She was exactly the way he thought she'd be. Although he supposed it was hard for anyone to understand the clothes of those that live in the forest. It wasn't any of his business though, so long as she stayed off his back, he'd be fine. He really didn't want to deal with more high class people right now.

Though he was in a group with two princesses, which in theory were the highest of the high class. Thankfully though, Cat was content with him just scouting, and the younger princess didn't acknowledge his presence outside of a few random moments. Honestly, this group was probably the most ideal one for him to travel with. He still didn't like the fact he was traveling with humans and foxes, but... it could be a lot worse.

He decided for now it would be best to fade back into the background, awaiting orders, or for something interesting to catch his eyes.

Catriona listened to L'Arachel's answer with mixed feelings. Being called brutish was...well, in this case it was meant as a compliment, but still the lord wasn't quite sure how to feel about that. However, it was what the green-haired woman said next that really blew her away.

Magvel. A land she had never heard of, and she knew of every single country in Mysia. So that meant that...she really was not of Mysia. That was something to think of. That there were lands beyond Mysia, beyond the wars and strife that so raged within the continent. "Perhaps..." she answered L'Arachel, convinced that the other was telling the truth. It wasn't as if she had any concrete proof of that, but still, it did not seem as if she were lying either. "Nevertheless, I am grateful we did meet, as we might not have come out of this battle unscathed otherwise."

After answering Edrick's question, the abbot seemed taken aback by the zealousness of Penelope's request. "Alas, I do not have much time left for this world. Time enough to change your paths, but beyond that..." he shook his head. "It might be better for you to see it yourself. Forgive me, however, I shall do that at the end."

After Ciela greeted him, he greeted her in return and listened to her rant with a serene smile on his face. "Ahh, good questions. It is almost as if I am teaching the monks again," he chuckled. "Contrary to what many might assume, belief in the goddess alone cannot grant one the power of healing magic. No, it is belief, coupled with zeal. The belief need not be in the goddess, but in yourself, a friend, or even a cause. The purity of your devotion is what grants you the power to heal." He looked at her. "You may not follow the goddess, but there has to be something else that you believe in. That you are passionate about." He paused before moving on. "The goddess is, and has always been, beyond the ken of we mortals. However, I personally believe that She is not a wicked being. Were it not for Her, we would not be here, would not have made the advances we have. And that is a noble cause.

"As for the reason for Alltrades...that is a long story. A story I do not have time to tell, so I shall keep it brief. Benefactions 2:1-5 The goddess Inera heard the laments of the people, seeking a way to undo the mistakes they made in their lives and forge new paths. Thus, with Her almighty power, did she grant to one of her servants a gift. 'Go forth and aid the people with my blessing,' said She, 'that their fates might change. And to all of your successors, I shall lend them this power as well.' So he obeyed her words and went on to found an abbey, naming it Alltrades for its purpose, and the people were happy." He smiled sadly. "This is from the holy text Ya-Laubhan, which has been lost to history."

"And as to your second request...this, at least, is within my power, though it may take up the last of it." The priest reached a hand out and laid it on Ciela's head, and soon after, what one could only call a miracle occurred.

Licorice watched the spectacle of the abbot and Ciela, her eyes thoughtful. This power is truly terrifying. Much like...well, that is to be expected, after all. She turned her head then, taking note of Catriona's reaction.

The lord had reared back, unable to process this...on top of everything else. No, she could not. And Link's request...it could not have come at a better time. "Yes," she straightened. "That is a good idea, Link. It wouldn't do for the perimeter to be breached while the rest of us are distracted." This was something physical. This she could deal with. The dead walking, specters, miracles, those were all things she could not understand nor handle. And this was all because of Her. Of that thrice-accursed goddess. Ciela might want to preserve the knowledge of Her magic, but Catriona would rather burn it all to ashes. And if they succeeded on this quest, she would.

"Shall we?" she asked Link, before pausing awkwardly as they neared the edge of the church, outside of the others' hearing. "I am glad you are...well." There. That was good. That was normally what people said to others after recovering from illnesses and such, correct? While it wasn't exactly the case in this instance, it was the closest comparison she could use. Nodding stiffly to the mercenary, the white-haired woman marched north of the shrine, where the enemies had first appeared. As it was still dark, she had to strain her vision, but there was not a trace of glowing red eyes now. As they marched to the south of the building, however, Link would hear a faint rustling coming from behind one of the tombstones.

OOC

Spoiler

As the abbot said, he will not be around for much longer, so if you have anything else you need from him, best do it now. Also, Nai, I left the details of what happened with Ciela out of the post, so you can include that in yours.

Edited by Sethera

Sienna watched in wonder as the Abbot worked his magic on a couple of the group members. Link looked as if he had been working out his entire life, as if he was never the skeleton of a human Sienna once saw. Tsetseg changed too, not physically though. Sienna could feel a stronger presence from the archer, as if she had gained newfound strength. The fox protean's ears twitched and she scratched her head out of confusion, this kind of magic was new to her, the ability to change one's own self, to walk down a different path.

The thought of that intrigued Sienna, though she shook the feeling off. She was happy as is, no reason to change. She occasionally had her doubts about how useful she was to the group, but as it stood she didn't feel like that was a reason to change herself. She just needed to improve her skills, become someone who could help others with her own power. Letting out a deep sigh, she turned away from the group and went back to where everyone had set up their bedrolls. "If anyone needs me, I'll just over here reading." she said to those who would listen.

She sat down on her bedroll and pulled a small book out of her pack. She laid down and went to read and study the book's contents, tail swaying about as she read silently.

A smile twisted at the corner of Link’s lips, restrained only by years of practice masking his facial reactions. It had worked. "That is a good idea, Link. It wouldn't do for the perimeter to be breached while the rest of us are distracted,” the princess said, righting herself. She was pulling back into her shell now that she was aware someone was watching, hiding the overwhelmed and overworked woman behind the heavy mask of the warrior princess. Link was all too familiar with how disguises like that worked; he was guilt-ridden and lonely, a man who couldn’t even get himself out of bed; the soldier he hid behind was a strong swordsman with the power to keep everyone safe.

"Shall we?" Catriona asked, pulling him from his ruminations. Link adjusted the sword at his waist (the belt was still too tight after his transformation) and nodded. They made it to the outskirts of the shrine, out of earshot of the rest of the group, when he noticed the princess suddenly stopped. Link brought his hand to the hilt of his sword and scanned for whatever had caused her pause. He was caught off guard when she suddenly turned to face him. “I am glad you are...well,” she said stiffly, and then pivoted on her heel and marched away in a hurry. 

Link blinked a couple of times. He...wasn’t sure how to process that. She had to have been referring to his health—right? His tunic was ripped and spattered with gore; blood had crusted to his face and neck during the battle and he hadn’t found the time to clean it up, either. He was a mess. Catriona was getting farther away the longer he sat there thinking on it, so he shook his head and sprinted to catch up with her.

The comment threw him off for several more minutes. He was almost certain you were supposed to give a response when royalty complimented you, except he had no idea what he was supposed to say back. Was he supposed to thank her? “... Thank you your highness. For the compliment,” he finally said, just as they were nearing the South side of the building. He looked down at his hands, clenching and then unclenching several times experimentally. “It feels strange to be like this again. Strong again.” It felt unreal, in the bad way. Like it wasn’t actually his strength.

He clenched his hands one final time and brought them down to his sides. Okay, moment of truth. He had to pull himself together. He looked around a few times, looking for any signs of life, and only turned back to Catriona once he was sure no one was around. “Your highness. Cat,” his voice wobbled on her name. It wasn’t the right of a commoner to address the princess in such a familiar way. “I know there’s a lot of real weird stuff going on right now, stuff I can’t even begin to comprehend. Stuff I saw with my own eyes and I still can’t believe.” The Awakened seemed more like a grim fairy tale now that it was all over, as opposed to the army of death and destruction that had almost overtaken them. “Are...you alright?” His nerve was a few strands away from snapping, but he had gotten what he wanted out.

While he was waiting for a response, he was distracted by a faint rustling from behind one of the graves. Link glanced over in the direction and tilted his head curiously. It was too light to be a risen, too heavy to be a stray mouse… a little ball of hope in the pit of his stomach prayed it was Rohns, but he refused to go over and check yet. 

First, he had to see if Catriona threatened to have him beheaded or not.

nALalDq.png?3

As Tsetseg continued to have the gears whir in her head about what was going on here, one of the Awakened walked over to her. The girl looked over to the undead, now much more comfortable around them then she had been before, as she listened to what they had to say. "Home...Family...Home...Family...." the girl muttered to herself as she began to think more on it. "Aha!" She shouted aloud, looking to the Abbot, Ciela and Edrick. Bounding her way over, she said, "guys, guys, guys. I got it!" She pointed to herself stating, "see, back home, there's two groups of people. There's like my people who are all nice and stuff, and then there's the other big tribe that's all burly and mean. And we used to not like each other lot - well, they're still mean but not as mean - but it's because they were lead by a mean person and we were lead by a nice person."

As she spouted this brief history lesson, she looked at everyone, likely confused at what she was trying to get at before saying, "so, they were from my home, but not my family. Since my family was the other tribe. And see, see. You all here are family, and those other wakey guys were also their own family which means they're probably different families!" Still not entirely getting anywhere the girl finally said, "so, what if there's not one family head but two! One mean family head and another nicer one. One that likes to be all, 'rawr I'll kill everything and kill you with their killed,' and the other that's like, 'everyone lives!' Well?" With that, the girl looked expectantly at everyone, having just rattled off her grand theory. 

"Nevertheless, I am grateful we did meet, as we might not have come out of this battle unscathed otherwise."

"Yes." L'Arachel said gravely. "I mean no ill when I say your party is not the most equipped to battle such a fierce foe. Of course, many would have said that about the group I once traveled with, yet we were able to save our land. What I mean to say is that one thing I have learned is that even those not of such grand and blessed blood as us can still make a difference."

The girl watched as Catriona left with Link, a look of shock on her face. She turned to the nearest person, who happened to be the wood cutter who was giving her the oddest of looks. "I know, it's not often one sees such dazzling radiance as I. But I must ask you." She looked off to where Catriona and Link had gone. "Is that man her vassal? Or is it perhaps usual for men and women in your land to be so...close. Unless..." She gave a look of horror. "Is this a scandalous affair?"

aonB0Ia.png?3

Penelope frowned when she realized she'd have to wait for an answer. She wasn't sure where this impatience came from but she couldn't help but tap her feet as everyone was given their answers. She smiled only when Tsetseg came up to the group and gave them her theory. "I think you're onto something, Tsetseg." Penelope said kindly. She had an odd urge to pat the girl on the head but refrained, only barely, when she realized it might come off as condescending.

Then the abbot explained some things to Ciela. Some things that simply...didn't add up. "You say this text was lost to history...but there are many texts that counter the point made. You must understand it's difficult to believe such things when all the physical proof points in another direction."

And then he lay his hand on Ciela. And something incredible happened.

lcmI449.png?1

Gunther awkwardly waved as Link left, his question remaining unanswered. He started to talk to the woman but she seemed distracted by something. "I, uh, pardon my interuption ma'am. I'll leave you be then." He gave a short bow and backed away, face reddening at the uncomfortable situation.

He then came across Alois, who was in discussion with that....she had to have been a Pontic right? Yet she had mentioned something about another land. Moving over to Alois he whispered to the Fighter. "Do you think....she might be from a different time? Like...that thing that we weren't going to talk about again?"

L'Arachel looked down at Gunther from a top her horse. "Sir Knight shouldn't you have gone with your Princess? Unless that rather rough looking fellow was also a knight."

Rough looking... "Link? Link is...well, he's not a knight. But he sort of is. I um...am not fully sure."

"Goodness but people in this land are rather lackadaisical about protocol aren't they?"

Gunther had no idea how to respond. So he just looked to Alois with likely the same expression Alois was giving back.

The Awakened, in the meantime, seemed to be uncertain of their place. So they milled about, somewhat aimlessly, waiting to see if they were needed again.

x0mgaxu.png?1

Alois was only made more confused the more L'arachel explained about herself. At first, he was sure she was some kind of Pontic. However, as she had described herself from being somewhere that the boy did not recognize, and was a princess of this not Pontus area, he was only growing more confused with the girl by the moment. Never mind the way she spoke, which only caused Alois to give her the same kind of confused look he was often seen giving to either Ciela or Edrick. Raising his eyebrow at the girl's comments and her "divine radiance," when asked about Cat's "vassal" Alois looked over to see who she was talking about, saying, "are you -". He was cut off, however, as he got a better look at him. While the clothes were very familiar, the body that inhabited them made Alois do a quick double take of the man. 

Figuring it was Link, though still not one hundred percent sure, he was about to respond once more when Gunther had wandered over to them. Alois shuddered at the mention of their time in the house in the woods, simply mentioning back, "at this rate, probably. Might be lost to time like the rest of what that Abbot was talking about." Being interrupted by L'Arachel, as Gunther turned back to him he said, "not much protocol out in the woods, your divine radianceness. Besides, it's fine. If you can guard a book you can guard a princess." Looking at her, eyebrow raised he said, "what about you, 'Princess?' Not very keen on protocol yourself, or does a holy divine smiter of all evil in the world not need a vassal or knight or whatever." Looking to her steed he jokingly asked, "are you her guard?" 

Shiro raised an eyebrow as Cat felt with Link. It seemed they needed to talk about something... he could sneak up and find out what it was... he could rationalize it as part of his duties, keeping tabs on everyone and making sure that everyone was okay, but decided in the end against it. It wasn't right, the princess could have her own privacy. It seemed the divine smiter wanted to know more though.

"I know, it's not often one sees such dazzling radiance as I. But I must ask you." She looked off to where Catriona and Link had gone. "Is that man her vassal? Or is it perhaps usual for men and women in your land to be so...close. Unless..." She gave a look of horror. "Is this a scandalous affair?"

Shiro almost snorted. He hadn't been with the group for more than two days and he knew those two were the last people to look at another person in that way. One was focused on their mission... and the other was a man in green he still needed to hit as hard as he could. He still haven't forgiven him for what he did to Glenn.

"Sir Knight shouldn't you have gone with your Princess? Unless that rather rough looking fellow was also a knight." It seemed Gunther was the next victim of this hurricane of a princess.

"Link? Link is...well, he's not a knight. But he sort of is. I um...am not fully sure."

"Goodness but people in this land are rather lackadaisical about protocol aren't they?"

"Not much protocol out in the woods, your divine radianceness. Besides, it's fine. If you can guard a book you can guard a princess." Alois then asked a more important question. "what about you, 'Princess?' Not very keen on protocol yourself, or does a holy divine smiter of all evil in the world not need a vassal or knight or whatever." Looking to her steed he jokingly asked, "are you her guard?" 

"I'd trust that horse over most humans any day," Shiro commented from his corner of the area. Maybe that was a mistake. Damn, he was letting more emotions slip than usual to. This was Glenn's fault somehow, he knew it.

ljMHWp9.png

Edrick had been quiet all this time, sat where he had fallen when his legs gave out under the combined weight of exhaustion and the revelation that had been presented to him. The Awakened had always been like this? Imperfect reflections of themselves raised only to do battle? If the young man had not been having a crisis, he would have accused the Abbot of Heresy over such a comment as that. He could certainly imagine the reception that words of that sort would have in Sinope or Amaseia; he could already smell the torches being lit. But the other claims this man made, and the literal miracles that Edrick saw him working before his very eyes, gave a weight to those words that they should not have had. A terrible weight, and an even more terrible consideration. The Goddess had been different than she was in the current time? That didn't make any sense to the young Pontic man...and then it did.

As TsegTseg went on about there being different heads of different families, and Penelope suggested that she was on to something, he remembered something that his father had taught him. A reading from a piece of scripture that every priest he had ever spoken to said was one of the oldest pieces of writing not just about the Goddess, but from anywhere on Mysia. Of course, every priest he had ever spoken to had told him that the Ancestors rising would be a time of rejoicing and injustices being settled. He obviously had reason to doubt that here and now, but if nothing else the passage that occurred to him offered some explanation. He just had to remember how to say it in Galtean...

"And so," he said as he forced himself to stand back to his feet, "all the people rejoiced in the light of the Goddess. Their fields grew full, their children grew old, and all were without sickness or injury. But then the nonbelievers came and set their twisted magics upon the faithful. The Goddess turned her eyes upon them, and her face was dark as the sea; her voice a storm that swept aside all in its path. And the faithful were taken by her rage and became invincible." He paused, mostly to catch his breath and looked around at the others. "The 2nd Book of the Divine Will, Chapter 4, verses 36 through 40. If anything I've been taught is true," he looked to the Abbot, a little less pleading and a little less confused. Edrick did not sound confident about anything he was saying. "Then that might be it. The Goddess has two...aspecte that she shows the world." He held up the iron pendant on its cord around his neck while he looked at them. "I...don't know if I understand what that means anymore, but maybe that explains..." his voice failed him, and he resorted to gesturing out to the ruins around them before looking back at the Abbot in the hopes of being given something he could understand.

eRlfZsS.png

"Yes." L'Arachel said gravely. "I mean no ill when I say your party is not the most equipped to battle such a fierce foe. Of course, many would have said that about the group I once traveled with, yet we were able to save our land. What I mean to say is that one thing I have learned is that even those not of such grand and blessed blood as us can still make a difference."

"Yes, I have seen that," Catriona replied. After all, Alois and Edrick were two of the fiercest fighters in the group, and neither were born from nobility, though Edrick was born from a hero. "I am gladdened to hear you were able to save your land. I can only hope our efforts will be enough as well."

--

As the lord made her rounds, she could not help but notice that the air seemed so much more peaceful than it had mere hours ago. She could hear the faint cry of insects and early morning birds, and with such a chorus, it was hard to imagine that they had just finished a battle against a horde of terrifying undead. And yet that was how things were. Even her intuition, which had never steered her wrong, was calm. And yet, she couldn't not patrol. It was a habit long since ingrained since her time on the border, to make sure everything was safe, that there were no enemies about. Walking like this, with a member of the Garou alongside her, was familiar. And now, more so than ever, she needed a taste of the familiar.

“... Thank you your highness. For the compliment,” Link finally said, just as they were nearing the south side of the building. Startled at his continuation of a topic she had thought finished, the woman turned just in time to catch him looking down at his hands, clenching and then unclenching several times experimentally. “It feels strange to be like this again. Strong again.”

The man clenched his hands one final time and brought them down to his sides, looking around a few times, as if making sure nobody was around, before turning back to Catriona. “Your highness. Cat," the use of that nickname caused the lord to blink. She had never known quite how to react when others called her by that. The first to do so had been an overly familiar soldier with a lack of respect for the formalities--no, the first had been her sister, Penelope. Who now didn't even address her by name if she could help it.

She was shaken from her thoughts by his next words. "I know there’s a lot of real weird stuff going on right now, stuff I can’t even begin to comprehend. Stuff I saw with my own eyes and I still can’t believe. Are...you alright?”

"Am I?" she asked. "I...of course I am," she finally said. "I apologize if I gave off a different impression." She had almost forgotten herself, with everything that had happened. So much...and all of it unnatural. Wrong. Her stomach churned at the lie, but she could not afford to be truthful here. Not with her father's words ringing in her head.

"You may rage, and you may cry, but you cannot let that show outside. Emotions are signs of weakness, and everybody around you will be looking to take advantage of that. Leaders cannot share their heart's feelings with those they lead, either, not when their followers are expecting perfection. They were chosen for that role, and it can just as easily be taken away from them. And as royalty, that applies even more to you. Every single one of your vassals has the chance to be a leader, might already be a leader. If you show them your emotions, then that reminds them that you are human, of flesh and blood like they. They will see you as an equal, and wonder why the crown sits on your head instead of theirs. Once they start thinking like that, you must act fast. For that is the beginning of the end."

It was not like she believed that Link was out to get the crown, far from it. She knew he was not the same breed of man as the vipers at Court, who played power games almost constantly, every day a desperate battle for more land, more riches, more of everything. Still, if she were to open her mouth right now and tell him the truth, what then? What could he do, to lessen her burden? Tell her everything would be fine? That would be a lie. The only thing he could do was the same thing he had been doing--accompany her on the journey to stop the goddess.

"Thank you for your concern," she finished, before finally hearing what sounded like motion from behind a gravestone. "What is that?"

--

The abbot listened to Tsetseg's ramblings with a bemused smile. "Well, that is an interesting theory," he smiled gently before refuting her. "Except there is only one goddess, has only ever been. Still, I can see how you would come to believe that. Her behavior has changed so much since then..." he gazed off into the distance wistfully before returning his attention to the group.

After Penelope put in her point, the abbot shook his head sorrowfully. "Human beings ever strive to understand the goddess, but one thing I have learned is that, as time goes by, our understanding changes as well. I have not read these new texts, so I cannot fully determine the truth of their teachings, but..." he smiled. "I myself am going off of what I have been taught as well.

After curing Ciela's paralyzed legs, the abbot performed a short bow. "With the Goddess, all things are possible," he murmured. "Rejoice, child, for you have earned a second chance."

Edrick's words caused the abbot to turn fully and face him directly. "The Divine Will, what a fitting name," he said, pausing. "Perhaps that is so. The priests have started to call her the Twofold Goddess..." he turned silent, contemplating. "Yet I feel that might not be quite right," he muttered to himself, before shaking his head. "This issue has been the subject of much debate recently. Unfortunately, I do not have the answers you seek." He looked sad. "I am but an old man who has lingered here for far too long. As for this place...it was destroyed after She had already changed."

He turned to look at Penelope. "You wish to know my history? I cannot tell it in full, but with the last of my power, I can show you." He glanced at Unil and the others, who had stood to the side until now, before closing his eyes and humming a prayer. Soon afterward, everybody there could see the surroundings change, as if they had suddenly been transported, a multitude of scenes passing in front of their eyes.

--------

BGM

"Alltrades Abbey was once a place known far and wide across Mysia for its ability to give people the chance they needed to change their paths."

A large stone abbey stood, surrounded by a bustling village. The buildings were made in a simpler style, but the people's faces looked happy and content.

"Yet that was not its only purpose. It also served to help any and all who came for succor."

"Abbot Jack," a monk approached a man who looked to be a younger version of the specter they were speaking to. "About the boy you found...I mean no disrespect, but...are you sure about keeping him? He is a..." his expression twisted, "street urchin, after all."

"Yes," the abbot replied, his voice gentle but firm. "I am only sorry that I cannot do so for all such children we find. Remember, in the eyes of the goddess Inera, every person is equal in status."

"Very well," the other bowed. "I can only hope to be as open-minded as you."

--

The scene shifted, showing the abbot talking to a brunette who looked around four or five years old in a room with several simple wooden beds. "You need not worry anymore, my child. While we do not live lavish lives, we have food enough for us all."

"Liar!" the boy spat. "'M not stoopid! Ya jus' wanna sell me off! Well yer the stoopid one. 'M not worth anyfink."

"No," the man shook his head. "You are worth more than gold, my child. For you are a human being, and beloved of Inera." He handed over a white robe. "Wear this. You will work as an acolyte while you are here. For now, though, rest," he left the room, closing the door gently behind him, just in time to hear a thud as a book slammed against the hard wood.

--

The scene shifted once more to show the boy, a little older and dressed in the robes shown earlier, lighting candles. Beside him, another boy, this one blond and nervous, was helping. "S-so I saw that you're all really close? Like family. It seems nice...m-maybe one day, I'll be a part of it too."

"Ain't ya from the Aquilia family?" the brunette interrupted rudely, wrinkling his nose. "They're the richest blokes in town, righ'?"

"Yeah, but," the other boy bit his lip. "T-they don't really care for me...because I'm useless," he stared at the ground.

"Oh..." the first boy paused. "Well, okay, I guess we can be friends then. M'name's Unil. The abbot gave that name to me, said it meant 'one.' Cuz I'm one of a kind!" his face softened slightly as he spoke. "What's yers?"

"M-mine? It's...Dua."

"Okay, Dua, well you're part of the family now. Let's work at this together."

"Yeah, let's!"

--

A raven-haired teenage boy dressed in furs and covered in scars shouted at the abbot in what looked like the village square. "I am with much anger right now! See my angry face, right here! You refuse to fight. You, the most powerful man in village."

The abbot shook his head, "Though I have been blessed by the goddess with some minor knowledge of light magic, I am not interested in fighting." He smiled at the boy. "You are more than welcome to talk things out instead if you wish."

"I'll fight him, Father," the brunette boy, now a teenager himself, stepped forward. "I know a little o' the lance, myself."

"There will be no fighting," the abbot's voice boomed out, causing both boys to stumble back, one in surprise, the other in embarrassment. "You said your name was Trim, correct?" he looked at the boy, smiling. "Let us talk this over inside. I see you are hungry."

"Yes, I am with much hunger," the boy said. "I have traveled far, across the mountains, seeking to fight strong men, but you do not fight!" he roared.

The abbot spread his hands wide beseechingly. "This is a place of peace, not of war. If you come here, come as a person, not a fighter."

--

The abbot kneeled over a silver-haired girl in what looked to be an infirmary, holding a healing staff to her heavily scarred face. He shook his head, expression sad, as the glow faded from the staff. "I am sorry, my child. I can do no more for you. Time is the only thing that can take away your scars now."

The girl wept. "No, I can't...I can't do this. Everybody looks at me funny, you know? Ever since I got attacked by that bear while out hunting...they used to call me the prettiest girl in the village, but now I'm nothing but a freak."

"You are not a freak," the abbot replied. "People may not see it, but you are the same person you always were. A beloved child of the goddess. Your flesh is but a shell for your mind and soul. Remember that, Quatro."

"Yeah, listen to Father!" Unil crashed through the door excitedly. "He knows a lot, a lot more than those stupid faces out in the village." He smiled bashfully at the reprimanding look the abbot shot him.

"Th-thank you," the girl sobbed. "Really, thank you. I felt like it was the end for me, but at least...one person, maybe two," she looked up and smiled through her tears, "still sees me as me."

--

The scene shifted to the main worship hall of the abbey, where a redheaded girl dressed in half-fitted robes was busy stuffing chalices and coins into a large sack. She sneered at the abbot, who had just entered through the doors. "Yeah, ah know, 'm an ungrateful slut. That's wha' they all call me," she spat on the floor. "But least 'm true to myself, not a 'ypocrite like you, lordin' yerself 'bove us, an' pretendin' t'be good. Hah!" she snorted. "Good doesn't exist, there's jus' gold an' more gold. Betcha regret savin' me now, huh? Makin' me work 'ere as penance 'stead," she sneered. "Keepin' me from the choppin' block, cuz I'm jus' tryna survive, ye say. What an idjit!" She glared at him. "Say something, ya brainless twit!"

The abbot smiled sadly at her. "I am sorry you have had to place such importance on material wealth, my child." He spread his hands wide. "If you need these humble objects that much, then may you leave with them, with my hope for a better future."

The girl stopped, slack-jawed, before scoffing. "Huh, guess yer not a 'ypocrite after all, yer jus' stoopid!" Still, she seemed shaken, and left the place soon after. Then, as the lighting changed from night to morning, the girl returned, slamming the door open and dumping the bag of stolen goods on the floor, to the shock of everybody there.

"What're you doing back here?!" Unil scowled at the girl. "I thought you ran away!"

"Well ah can't believe it, but ya've infected me wi' yer stoopidity," the girl glared at the abbot. "'Ere, ye can 'ave these, but ye gotta take 'sponsibility now, fer makin' me stoopid too."

The abbot smiled proudly at her. "You asked me earlier if I regretted keeping you from execution when you were caught pickpocketing. My answer is, no. I will never regret that, Penvo."

--

"However, with the darkening of the goddess, the darkness in people's hearts began to take over."

It was night, but the whole village was lit up like the day. Lit up by the flames the outsiders had brought with them. Armored men ran through the streets with torches and swords, killing any they could lay their hands on. "Everything must burn!" roared the commander. "These are all followers of the dark goddess. We have to purge them, or they'll come back as Her undead soldiers!"

"Yes, sir!" another nodded and grabbed at the hair of a fleeing woman. Bringing her closer, he sneered. "Witch, don't expect any mercy from me." With a crack, he let her go, her neck twisted at an odd angle. A small, piping sound made him lean down. "Hah! She was hiding a whelp?" he snickered, picking a baby up and gagging. "Ugh, it smells. What'd it do, shit its pants?" Bringing his pike up, he stabbed the baby through the eye, and then through the other eye. "Hah, don't have to worry about that now...hurk!" he gasped, a lance protruding through his chest.

"Scum!" a brunette man on a horse cried, eyes blazing with anger. "Why are you attacking our village like this?"

"He's not breathing anymore, Unil," a blond priest nearby supplied helpfully.

"We just got back, but with much lateness, maybe too much," a barbarian said worriedly.

"That's because we had to bring along all of Penvo's junk," a pretty silver-haired archer with the slightest shadow of scarring on her face shook her head.

"'Ey, money makes the world go round," a redheaded thief scoffed, before stabbing a man who had been sneaking up behind her without blinking. "Still, looks like we need ta clean house."

Unil sighed. "It seems that way." He thought for a moment. "We should try and gather everybody in the abbey. Let's go!"

--

"Everybody fought valiantly, but in the end, sheer numbers won out."

"Seems like...everybody came out to play today," the barbarian grunted as he parried another blow in front of the abbey. "I have much doubt on whether we can go on like this or not."

"You and me both, Trim," the archer sighed as she let loose an arrow. "I only have so many arrows before I run out."

"And I only 'ave so many asses to hand out," the thief sneered. "This is why daggers are better than bows, Quatro."

"Not this again," the priest groaned as he healed a wound on Unil.

"What, do ye think I'm wrong, Dua?"

"I think this is the worst possible time to discuss this subject."

"No, this is the only time. Cuz I dunno about you, but I don't think we're gonna live to see the sun."

"We might not, but Father has to," Unil said, expression determined. "He's the one they're after. Did you hear what they've been calling him? Dark spawn, a servant of darkness. As if he could be anything but good."

"They just don't know him like we do," Dua said.

"Uhh...guys? My axe just broke," the barbarian stared down at the broken weapon in dismay.

"And I'm down to my last arrow."

"Heh," the thief quirked a grin. "My weapons are chipped to pieces. Guess your bow outlasted my daggers this time."

"Unil, I...have only one last healing spell," the priest stared at the cavalier seriously.

"Then this will be our last stand," the man raised his broken lance into the air. "Come, let us fight!"

"Heh...d'ya think..." Trim panted as they stood in a ring around the door. "The bards will be with much song about us?"

"Doubt it," Penvo scoffed. "We'll probably star as the villains instead."

"The world may malign us, but at least...we went down fight--." Unil's words were cut off with a gasp as a sword pierced through his chest.

"Unil, no!"

"Don't worry about me...protect the others!"

"Goddess preserve us!"

"Aaargh!"

"Gotta...keep...ugh."

"No!"

"I'm sorry...Father..."

--

"You are guilty of the crimes of sowing dissolution among the people and spreading lies in support of the evil goddess, Inera. For this, you are charged with death by flogging and crucifixion. Any last words?"

The abbot sighed. "I can only pray that your soul finds peace from all of this. And..." he lifted his head to stare at the sky, tears running down his face. "I am sorry...my children. I have failed you. May you find...happiness."

The whip fell, and any further words were cut off by his screams.

--------

As the surroundings finally returned to normal, the abbot said nothing, head hanging in sorrow. Finally, he raised it, staring straight at Unil. At Dua. At Trim. At Quatro. At Penvo. People who had died so long ago, their lives taken by force. "You wonder why you are still here, why your spirits were summoned first. The blame lies with me. It is my memory that keeps you here. And it is my guilt that keeps me here." His eyes shone with tears. "I am sorry for everything you experienced. Were it not for me..."

"No. Don't blame yourself, Father." Unil stepped forward. "All of us...if we could turn back time, we wouldn't change a thing." He looked at the others, who nodded, stepping closer to the abbot. "Father...I've wanted to say this for such a long time. I'm sorry that we failed you."

"No, my child," the abbot shook his head. "It is I who failed you."

"Never," the cavalier shook his own head.

"Still, I am glad to hear that you do not blame me. For so long, I worried..." the tears ran down his face freely. "But now, with this...I can move on." He looked at the Awakened. "Will you come with me?"

"Always, Father."

"With all my heart."

"Yah, you still owe me that fight."

"Without a doubt."

"'Course."

"Then," the abbot looked back at the group. "Thank you, for protecting this place. With you all here, my worries have eased." He smiled, and started to chant.

"May you succeed on your road.
          May the wind be always at your back.
          May the sun shine warm upon your face;
          And the rain fall soft upon your fields.
          And though we may not meet again,
          May the Goddess hold you in the palm of Her hand."

And then, he, as well as the other Awakened, started to glow a soft white, their bodies growing translucent, until finally, the light faded, and with it, the last remnants of those from a bygone era.

The group would notice then that the atmosphere had changed. No longer did the place feel watchful, or dangerous, or even mysterious. No, instead, they merely stood in the shadow of a crumbled stone building. There was nothing out-of-place about this area anymore. It was just an old ruin.

OOC

Spoiler

Everybody within the shrine--so basically everybody within hearing distance of the abbot--will have seen that vision, which means that Catriona and Link did not. Other than that, everybody should have seen it, unless they were outside the shrine itself. Make sure to write out your characters' reactions. I included a short description of what happened with Ciela so you can react to that as well.

Edited by Sethera

"what about you, 'Princess?' Not very keen on protocol yourself, or does a holy divine smiter of all evil in the world not need a vassal or knight or whatever. Are you her guard?" 

"My noble steed does a great job at protecting me thank you very much. But no, I have others. The most noble and brave of guards. I simply have...misplaced them it seems. We were separated when I came to this place. Ah, they must be so fraught with worry. I don't know how they will survive without my presence to grace their lives. Poor Rennac, poor Dozla, if only you were by my side right now."

Gunther perked up at that. The name sounded oddly familiar. Dozla, where had he...then he remembered. "Er, miss...L'Arachel? This Dozla, does he have a large beard and a larger laugh?"

"Why, yes, my Dozla's facial hairs are the finest in the realm. Why do you ask?"

"When we were in Ithome I met a man with that name. He was...looking for a princess he said." Gunther looked at L'Arachel in realization. Then he bowed his head. "I'm sorry if I offended you with my poor manners, lady L'Arachel."

She smiled. "Think nothing of it, you've brought me glad tidings! My loyal Dozla is within reach. And I'm sure Rennac is with. They will be so excited to see me." She turned to Alois. "Where is this 'Ithome' anyway?"

lcmI449.png?1aonB0Ia.png?3

After his awkward encounter with L'Arachel, the Knight didn't have much time before he was suddenly surrounded by a vision. As was Penelope. Though the latter was much more excited about the prospect. While the former was just worried that he would end up having to be stuck in this vision or something similarly a bother.

Though as they watched Gunther grew more uncomfortable. The things these men did to the people of this village...but they were worshipers of the Goddess. Yet the abbot seemed to be a good man.

Once the vision ended Gunther grew silent, his face paling, and his gaze went to Edrick. What was he supposed to think about all this? Could it possibly be Pontic trickery? But the people in the vision were those who had helped them. The abbot himself healed Ciela's injury. But Pontics were the enemy. The Goddess was their mortal foe.

Gunther stumbled towards the exit of the ruins. "I...need some air." He mumbled, making his way outside.

Penelope was silent as well. And similarly lost in thought. Her readings all spoke of the terrors and evils of the Pontics. Sure, she had read some Pontic books, though it was hard to sneak them past her father, yet...As much as she hated to admit seeing it for herself was much different. Her head snapped up as she thought of the member of their group who would take this most personally. She knew Gunther would struggle but there was one whose reaction could be even more alarming. "Edrick." She said then, softly, turning towards the boy. "Are you alright?" She stepped towards him, one hand extended. "I know that couldn't have been pleasant to see."

L'Arachel's face grew somber as the vision ended. "History is always full of people killing others for their own personal sense of good and evil." She shook her head. "I have seen true evil...that Abbot, his people, they are far from it."

x0mgaxu.png?1

Alois could only help but smirk as the princess talked about having "misplaced" her own entourage. However, it had seemed that Gunther had met someone before who probably knew this girl, which caused Alois to get even more confused about the origins of this possible time traveler. As she turned to the boy and asked him about Ithome he thought about it for a moment. "Well, probably not the direction you were headed." Trying to think of where exactly they were he said, "probably south west. It's on top of three mountains, so if you passed the cities on mountains you've gone too far." Before their conversation could continue further, the boy's attention was drawn to the Abbot and the visions that followed. 

As the whole gruesome scene played out, Alois could only stand still in some shock. He was unsure what to make of the whole thing, merely that the whole of the battle had been nothing more than a slaughter. As the spirits had faded from the old and abandoned building, Alois couldn't help but feel as though something was now missing and empty about the place they were at. Not saying much as Gunther had decided to go and process what had just happened, he simply nodded as L'Arachel stated what she had, similarly solemn to her.

Meanwhile, any energy that Tsetseg had had seemed to be deflated after the visions they experienced. Instead, she seemed to go back to silent mulling, trying to process what was going on yet again.