Sethera

Fire Emblem: Curse of the Goddess [IC / Conditional Acceptance / PG-16]

Alois, Penelope, and Citron

"Come on, Mom, me? Tease him? I never. I haven't teased Eddy once our whole journey, not a once."

Mene shot Alois a look, her eyebrows raised almost comically high. "Not e'en once?" She stood there, hands on hips, lips pressed into a thin line. "Uh-huh." Fortunately for Alois, Citron diverted her attention away with her question, but it pivoted back to the boy when he gave his reasoning. Her eyes narrowed until they were little more than brown crescents.

Penelope chipped in with a much more watertight justification. She ended it with a layer of charm that, unlike before, just caused the woman to smile tightly.

The tactician finished with a light laugh. "In any case, Miss, there's something I really want to know." Her eyes flashed with delight as she looked over towards Alois. "Just what did Alois do to make the mayor dislike him so? I know he can be quite bold with how he speaks to people so I'm ever so curious what he might have said to start this little feud of theirs."

Mene stared at Penelope for one tense second before sighing, weariness replacing wariness. "Well, if'n ye ask the mayor, it's anythin' and everythin'. He'd get mad if'n Alois read his books, didn't chop enough wood, or whenever he done made his usual comments." She paused then, giving a small smile that didn't reach her eyes as she looked past the group. "There might be more to it, but that's fer the mayor t'say."

Gunther, Sienna, and Tsetseg

When Raki leaned over to pet him, Icleias bumped his head against the Isaurian's hand, as if wanting more pets, while Lassie took hers with stoic dignity. Afterward, she woofed, before glancing back and forth between him and Timmy with what was best described as a doggy look of worry.

"Ah, so he's not a rock." Gunther muttered.

"W-well, even if he isn't a rock," Phai replied, "s-so long as he's not a bad guy…" she gulped, glanced at the dogs, took a deep breath, and let her shoulders fall. "Then that's okay." She flinched slightly at the boy's shout, form quivering like an aspen before settling still when nothing happened.

"Anyway, I've been already introduced, but I'm Raki, nice to meet you. Uhh... Timmy has been helping taking care of me for the last tennight here... Oh. Er, it's alright if they know, Timmy?"

Gunther reassured the boy, to which Timmy joined in with his own. "Yep, yep. We kin trust Phai, and anyone wiv 'er is pro'lly good, too." He nodded his head, eyes closed in hearty assurance.

The conversation continued, with Phai staying quiet until the topic of Raki's transformation came up. "Ehhh?! You turned into an animal too?" Her fearful attitude looked to have thawed slightly as she smiled at him. "A lizard, huh? That's so cool! I turned into a beaver, but it was kinda lame cuz everybody else did too. Except beavers are hardworking, so I guess that's fine!"

"An' I turned intae a goat!" Timmy called out. "A billy goat!"

Phai plowed on as if the boy hadn't spoken. "So you've been here for the last tennight without us even knowing?! But wait, that would mean, whenever I came by for patrol, you were there but I didn't see you. That's not good. That's not good at all." She looked down. "It means that…" she clenched her fists and looked down. "I need to pay attention better!" The girl looked back up, eyes blazing like silvery comets.

She kept up her determination even when Garinphasia arrived, her momentary fear dissolving into wonder. "Garinphasia?" Her eyes lit up. "Oh, so that's who you were calling for earlier. She's so cool!" Phai didn't approach though, respectful of the low growl emitting from the wyvern.

"Och, it's Gonnafaceya!" Timmy cheered from down in the pit. "Raki, ye thinkin' ya both can git me on outta this 'ere hole?"

Edrick and Ciela

The two walked through the village, passing people finishing their repairs for the day. The villagers watched them go with a mixture of gratitude and vigilance. With Ciela’s strategy in place, it didn’t take long before they approached a prominent building painted in garish hues. Sharp eyes would spot a hole in the window nearest to the second-floor balcony. A couple of horses stood eating from a trough of hay, one cream and one silver bay. Neither seemed interested in the duo, though the silver bay flicked its ears toward Remy.

Link

After breaking the window and opening it, Link landed in a long hallway lit by the windows lining one side and the chandelier above. A red velvet carpet thrown over the wood flooring gave a quiet surface for the mercenary to walk. Paintings lined the walls, all of Gaston. The hallway had two doors at each end and another, larger one facing Link.

Link would hear voices to his right, both recognizable. They passed through the polished elmwood surface of the far right door.

A sonorous voice with a sneering timbre spoke first. "Bumbling buffoonian! Cannot affirm that…"

"But Pylauses…just a boy…" The second voice was higher pitched with a slight rasp.

The first voice cut it off with a scathing remark. "Foolish fool! Then…inform…contrivances…"

OOC

Spoiler

Not a ton going on here mostly just interaction or exploration. Mene seems a bit more closed off since her conversation with the mayor. Phai seems a bit more open with Raki now that she knows he turned into a lizard. Timmy just seems to want to get out of the pit. And Link is hearing voices. Thankfully not in his head this time.

I'm also including a map of what Link is seeing right now. Putting it here for now but I'll make further updates in the Discord chat. The window he broke is the one right next to the balcony.

unknown.png

Edited by Sethera

x0mgaxu.png?1

Alois didn't meet his mother's gaze as she began to narrow her eyes at him, having something of an obviously guilty yet innocent expression on his face. Thankfully Penelope had managed to keep that situation from getting any sourer by souring the conversation in a different way. As the topic of his and the mayor's history came up, Alois's expression changed to an annoyed frown as he thought back on his time here in Phar. As his mother seemed to state the situation between him and his hoity toity lord of Phar the boy grimaced. "Yeah, well, that's the long and short of it. I've never been one much for stupid rules and he's never been one for reason, so this is just how things ended up between us. I couldn't tell you really when it all started. If anything, you could just say it's one of the town's charms its had for the past decade," the boy wryly joked. 

Though he had a sarcastic smile on his face it quickly broke away back to a somber look. He hadn't been certain of when all this started or what was the cause of it. But he had a good idea of why it happened, and how he was going to end all of this. "Well, I'm sure he has something to say himself," the boy added, before swiftly switching topics. "But I've had enough of that badger for one day already. So, how about you princess?" The boy smiled as he asked, "anyone you couldn't help but butt heads with back home?" 

nALalDq.png?3

Tsetseg had still stayed behind Gunther as Rocky had continued to explain himself. Given her current attitude, she gave an oddly understanding nod as he had mentioned not using dark magic but then felt bewildered by his next comment. It was true that it was stone and Tsetseg had never known stone to fly - at least in the literal sense. So it didn't make any sense to think that the stone statue was actually flying. But she had seen it with her own eyes and it was most certainly flying. Which is where the strange, presumably dark, magic had come in to play. Reorienting her thoughts, she nodded to herself, proud for not getting too confused by the Isaurian's double talk. 

She was snapped out of this kind of circular thinking, though, as the scaly terror of the skies had come down and looked at them. "Ah! Another another one!" The girl yelped out in surprise as, in addition to the third Isaurian, this had been the second - third? - wyvern that she had seen in one day. Her shocked expression gave one into wary annoyance as the wyvern growled at her and the others. And so Tsetseg growled back at them. Locked in a staring contest with the wyvern, Tsetseg stated, "it's a good thing you're not a goat Timmy, yup yup." She nodded to herself. Goats weren't that far off from horses after all. 

aonB0Ia.png

Penelope grew intrigued at Mene's reaction. There was certainly more to it than it seemed even Alois knew. Her mind started to race with various possible reasons for this including but not limited to secret illegitimate child. However she thought it best not to voice the many theories right now. Especially with how weary the woman was looking.

"But I've had enough of that badger for one day already. So, how about you princess?" The boy smiled as he asked, "anyone you couldn't help but butt heads with back home?" 

"Me? Why, of course not. I was always perfectly behaved and if I ever had any disagreements I could easily make them see my perspective." She smiled back at Alois and said, with a teasing tone, "what, did you hope perhaps that I had a secret enemy I could not best? Sorry to disappoint but there was nothing like that."

Though this wasn't entirely true. Not only did she clash with several of the nobles there were a couple who she frequently had trouble seeing eye-to-eye on multiple matters. However that was her own father and sister and it would not do to tell that to anyone else.

The thought of her father made her think of her mother which led her to glancing at Mene once more. She truly did seem worn out. "Oh but I apologize, miss, I'm sure today has been trying on you as well. Why don't you rest a spell? If there's anything that needs doing Alois surely could do so to help out his mother."

lcmI449.png

"rock, Rocky, wyvern,"

Gunther glanced back, or tried to as she was doing a good job at staying directly behind him, at Tsetseg. She truly seemed spooked about this newcomer but Gunther couldn't really understand her train of thought.

Especially when it seemed that Raki was ignorant to most of what happened. He could have been lying about being turned into a lizard but to Gunther it seemed he really didn't know what was going on. And he didn't seem to be a magic user either.

"You were lucky to find this place, despite the troubles that befell it, I imagine you'd have been lost for much longer otherwise given the distance between towns."

And then the boy's companion became clear. Gunther couldn't say he expected to see a second wyvern today. This one seemed to be somewhat more cautious than Peaches had been. Though that could have been simply due to the circumstances.

"Ah, perhaps the distance wouldn't be so great for you after all." He looked towards the wyvern, gazing at it kindly and attempting to present himself as not a threat. "I imagine the two of you could go many places as long as you're together. Either way, I'm glad that everything seemed to have worked out well as she found her way back to you."

When Phai mentioned beavers Gunther blushed remembering again his encounter with what he thought had simply been animals. He might have to be more careful in the future to avoid embarrassment...

He then heard a strange noise. One that reminded him of a small dog that he had once seen with a noblewoman back at the castle. He turned around in surprise to see Tsetseg growling at the wyvern. "Ah, er, don't worry, " he told Raki, "she's just...a bit wary..." Gunther's voice trailed off as he realized he was describing her much the same as Raki had described the wyvern. With an awkward laugh he continued, "she won't bite." Then a thought came to mind and, lowering her voice, asked "you WON'T bite, right?"

Link scanned the hallway. There were three doors he could see from where he was standing (four if he counted the door that led to the balcony). The wooden floor had been covered by a plush red carpet, so his footsteps were soft and muffled as he stepped forward to investigate—lucky. He planned to investigate the door closest to him, a large thick wooden door with intricate carvings of gold inlaid into the frame, but froze when he suddenly heard a pair of familiar voices.

"Bumbling buffoonian! Cannot affirm that…" Link was sure that was the fool called Gaston. He had the kind of voice one would expect of a would-be noble; deep and stuffy, as if he was intentionally lowering it. 

"But Pylauses…just a boy…" It took the soldier a moment to place the second voice. It was high-pitched and raspy, like someone dragged a metal fork against the bottom of their bowl at supper. Link finally matched the voice to the short, portly man who had rushed out of the town hall the second the rest of the village had been turned back into humans. Right. He had been so distracted with Licorice and the mysterious voice and the spell and the newcomers, it had completely slipped his mind at the time.

"Foolish fool! Then…inform…contrivances…" Link continued to creep forward as Gaston berated the other man. His stomach continued to churn the more heard. “—And if our stratagems get transpired through your cretinism, then I daresay I shall be most displeasured.” 

Stratagems? Link narrowed his eyes and stopped just short of the large door. The mayor was right. Something more is going on here. His gut had led him down the right path. Whatever was going on, Link was absolutely sure that the first thing he needed to do was find Catriona and get the hell out of this would-be noble’s weird house. “W-W-Well, I can just take care of him then, Lord Gaston,” he heard the short one say. 

Link reached for his sword. He was almost certain they hadn’t detected him, but who else could they be discussing? He made a mental list: Alois, Gunther, Edrick, possibly the mayor.  “You betterment! In the median times, I shall forward a dove to His Grace, that he apperceives of our vainglorious progress!” 

His grace? That confirmed it. Gaston was working for someone. Link’s mind raced with possibilities on just who the two could report to, but he pushed the avalanche of thoughts away. It wasn’t important at the moment. What was important was locating Catriona and warning her of how much danger she was in. To that end, Link peeked into the large door and found himself staring into a huge trophy room. Stuffed animals and mounted heads that were surely not real filled the room (what sort of animal could have a neck THAT long?), but Link was not at all surprised to find Gaston was willing to lie about his own accomplishments.

He quietly closed the door and turned toward the other end of the hall. There was no way the two would be talking the way they were if the princess was with them, so the next best bet would be the room at the far end of the hall, which was exactly where he started toward. 

Link could only hope his luck held out and they stayed in their room.

……….

Rohns was bored. Green Wolf had ordered him to hide in the woods and he had listened. Well, he was TRYING to listen. Listening and following orders was hard when you were bored. Besides he had to show the huge beast that had tried to intimidate him that he wasn’t scared! …. Well, he wasn’t THAT scared. 

Then some of the pack showed up. Angry Wolf who had scolded him about stealing that tasty bone in the forest, plus Blue Wolf who was always mounted on the beast that Green Wolf sometimes called a ‘horse’. What were they doing here? Were they there to help Green Wolf? That would make sense. Rohns was no expert but his mom often told him (before she went to sleep) that a wolf was nothing without a pack. A lone wolf was a bad, bad wolf, and it seemed like Green Wolf was always alone. 

Maybe they wanted to try and teach Green Wolf to be a better wolf? That thought excited Rohns. Eyes shining, the wolf pup darted out of his hiding spot and ran up to the horse-mounted pair. He could help them!

E54FQBk.png

"So, Ed-boy, what do you think?"

Well that was certainly one way for Ciela to close her plan as she expressed it to him, and truth be told it made a good amount of sense to him. He... vaguely remembered Catriona going off with someone who was not the Mayor which meant that she had probably gone with some other noble. Though... now that he thought about it he could very much see the Crown Princess being content to settle into something about as simple as one of these houses. If anything from what he had seen she seemed to want to escape all of the responsibilities placed on her head. But... well that was neither here nor there. Either way he was plenty sure that the person she had gone with was not the type to have one of these simpler houses.

"First," he began as he turned to look at her, "don't call me 'Ed-boy.' I'm not a boy anymore, and when I was I beat up some of the other boys in town when they called me that." It really was a nickname he didn't like. "Second... well yeah that sounds like as good a plan as any. The guy she went with definitely...seemed like the noble type, fancy words and all that. So... yeah, fancy house seems like what to look for." And from there the pair set off. The boy was glad to see things apparently getting back to normal as buildings, stalls, and everything else were put back together after the chaos. Though... the way the villagers looked at him. Well it was depressingly familiar to him. He got it enough from a few of his own friends, the way they seemed guarded around him because of who he was. Like they expected him to turn on them after all they had gone through together.

"Hey Ciel-" he had been just about to ask her opinion on the matter when the two of them came upon... well the incredibly garish house. Yeah... yeah this, "I think we found the place." That more or less distracted him from where his mind was going, so he went ahead and got himself down out of the saddle to get a look at the place. His eyes shot briefly to the stable and the horses in it, but he quickly realized that neither of them were Elba. No... no that would have been too easy. "May as well-" and then he caught something coming at them quickly. His immediate reaction was to ready his lance and then-

"Rohns?" He relaxed as he noticed the tiny menace approaching them quickly with apparent intent, and he decided to squat himself down to get a better look at the creature. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with Link?" When the little thing looked up towards the window, which Edrick now saw was broken, and began making a few little whining noises which reminded the boy of some of the dogs from his home town, he sighed. "Oh. I see. Alright let's go see if he got himself in any trouble." For his part he really didn't think that Catriona was in any real danger here, which was why where the last man to come to the house had apparently broken in he took a more civil approach.

"Hello?" He called as he first tried to open the door, and upon finding it locked began heavily striking it with the base of his fist. "Hello there? We're Catriona's friends!"

Edited by Asriel Dreemurr

"Och, it's Gonnafaceya! Raki, ye thinkin' ya both can git me on outta this 'ere hole?."

"Ah! Another another one!"

"Ah, perhaps the distance wouldn't be so great for you after all. I imagine the two of you could go many places as long as you're together. Either way, I'm glad that everything seemed to have worked out well as she found her way back to you."

"Yeah, though honestly I have some doubts she ever stopped shadowing me, despite my instructions. Uhh..."

Was the girl... well, one seemed to like Garinphasia, which was great, but the other... yes, she was positively growling back at the wyvern.

'Excuse me?' Not that Raki was in a very good position to criticize, he had had his fair share of recklessness when he first met Garinphasia, but still! He glanced back at her, but she was still locked in the staring contest with the girl.

"Ah, er, don't worry, she's just...a bit wary... she won't bite." Quite reassuring, though it wasn't the girl biting the wyvern that Raki was worried about. Well, maybe a little. Anyway, they had some rescuing to do. He nodded back at the knight, then approached the edge of the quarry "Ok, Phasia, I'll need you here." She approached slowly, still turned towards the girl, who now was mumbling something about goats, after Timmy and the guard had talked about their transformation. Now that he thought about it, there had been an awful lot of beavers around.

"Don't feel too bad about not discovering me," he addressed Phai in the meantime "Timmy and the others put in quite the effort in keeping us out of sight. Speaking of which." He turned back towards his partner "Phasia, remember Timmy? can you help him out?"

The scaly head turned towards the boy trapped in the pit for a moment. Then back towards the people outside. "What... no, no, come on. They're friendly! Hey!" He walked back in front of her and grasped her head, bringing them face to face. She snorted from her nostrils, making him recoil for a moment from the wave of warm air. "Timmy is trapped in there" he pointed towards the pit "we need to help him out."

Garinphasia seemed to consider it for a moment. Then she turned yet again towards the four. Raki exhaled. "Oh, fine." Turning back himself, he returned to the edge of the pit. Slowly, ledge by ledge, he began descending to the bottom of the hole. "We'll have it your way then. Hi, Timmy. Hey, Garinpahsia!" He spread his arms up as the wyvern's head peeked out the edge above them. "I'm stuck here, please help us out!"

--------

Frustrating. Her far claw kept trying to divert her attention. That was a problem.

She recalled the one named Timmy, those who gave food were not so easily forgotten. But as friendly as the other's far claw seemed, despite being clad in metal hide, her opponent herself showed no sign of backing down. Small thing she was, and Garinphasia had no intention to cause problems for Raki. Yet. Still, it was a matter of principle.

Then her far claw climbed down the small cavern. She approached the edge, and there they were, requiring her aid. Well, there weren't other options, now, were they? The wyvern launched one last look at her opponent, and with an exasperated growl she spread her wings, carefully making her own descent to bring back the two.

Edited by Arkars

To be honest, neither Alois nor Penelope’s responses gave Citron much hope. She wanted to believe them, but it was just hard to believe that a medic could be ‘that good’, that moving someone who was in that kind of condition could be a good idea under any circumstances. But if this thought persisted for long, she certainly didn’t show it, because after a brief moment of visible worry, it faded after only a moment. After all, regardless of what she did or didn’t think in that moment, they seemed quite sure of themselves, and if they had taken good care of her so far, it wouldn’t do for her to not trust how they might care for one of their own. “Well, if you say so,” would be her only remark, giving a visible shrug as she returned to listening to the conversations at hand.

To be honest, Citron had wondered Penelope’s question as well, though maybe not in quite as conscious a fashion. It was normal, after all, to be cognizant and aware of the the actions and habits of those around you, after only less than a day, she had just taken it as fact that something had happened between Alois and the Mayor. So, for Mene to give such an avoidant answer caught her off guard, to the point where Citron started to open her mouth to ask for more information… Only to pause, as she finally processed the last sentence, which would have made any further questions in ill-taste. Alois’ take on the question only spur her curiosity further, though in the end, as Alois deftly changed the subject, Citron’s resolve ultimately won-out in the end.

And so her attention shifted towards Penelope, whom Alois had addressed. Her own answer was a curious one, as there was something about her tone that Citron found… Amusing. The idea of someone being ‘perfectly behaved’ was a fib at best, as even the best of children acted out at times, but for once, as she took a moment to listen, it was clear to Citron that there was more to that response than a simple sentence; though, it was only the tone that gave that away. She wasn’t sure what the relationship between Alois and the Princess was like, but they certainly had similar speech patterns, at least as far as teasing went; that much confidently say at this point. It was as Penelope shifted her attention away from teasing Alois, and offered his help to Mene, that Citron’s attention returned to the present, and away from curious musing about her new friends.

“Oh, she’s right,” Citron murmured, glancing away from Penelope and towards Mene. “And if you have anything that needs two people, or more than one thing that needs to be done, I may be an arm down right now, but I’d be honored to help as well,” Citron added, smiling towards the older woman. “After all, it wouldn’t do for me not to repay you somehow for letting me rest here.”

Mene smiled at the kind words of both of the girls, eyes drooping slightly with exhaustion. "Nay, I couldn't possibly fall asleep afore my guests. T'wouldn't be right." She covered a yawn. "Though I reckon I'll sit down fer a spell, just to git off these legs." The woman sank down on the bed, sagging like an empty waterskin.

After a few seconds, she looked up. "Ye should rest as well. I knows Edrick's after getting the bed, an' Alois and—" she shot a quick glance at Penelope, "ye are gonna sleep here, but," she turned to Citron, "ye should's find a place as well. I won't 'ear another word about workin' wiv that arm of yours naow. Maybe we can fit ye here if'n we make some room."

The woman rose, tawny eyes fierce as the wind filled her sails once more. She busied herself with fluffing the blankets and lifting various small items to place outside. Would anybody offer to help her, she would refuse. Eventually she paused, hands hovering over a wooden storage chest, before picking that up as well to bring outside.

Gunther and Tsetseg

Phai peered at Tsetseg in worry, waving a hand in front of the archer's face. "Um… A-Are you all right? You're not, uh, turning into an animal as well, are you?" Her own face whitened in fear. "Oh no! I really hope not. I don't know what to do at all if that curse comes back…"

The militia girl held her breath when Timmy was carried back up by Garinphasia, though the boy himself seemed much more carefree. "Whoee! Bet nae e'en Alois can says as 'e's ridden a whyburn afore!" The boy cheered after reaching the top, jumping up and down with his arms raised over his head like palm fronds. "Finally, ootta there! Ah reckon ah woulda started growin' roots afore long." He turned to Garinphasia. "Yer a good'un Miss Faceya!" He then turned to Raki. "Thankee kindly, Raki."

"Naow…" Timmy faced the others, "whaddaya says to us all gittin' back to the village? Ah gots sum things to tell Missus Mene. You too, Raki. Ahm thinkin' ye shoold come along this time. I donts want tae leave ye oot 'ere by yerself if'n one of those pair o'baddies comes back."

Link

A familiar voice rang up from the bottom floor, though Link heard it most clearly from the broken window. "Hello?" A few solid thumps. "Hello there? We're Catriona's friends!"

The bickering stopped before the whispers began anew, followed by stamping feet before a door creaked open and footsteps were heard…and grew quieter. The corridor where Link stood was undisturbed.

However, it wasn’t long before Link heard the scrape of the door leading into the hallway from somebody pulling it open. From the mercenary’s position around the corner, they wouldn’t see him, but he would have to act fast to remain undetected.

Edrick and Ciela

There was silence until there was not. A sudden thump was shortly followed by several more in succession, as if somebody was sliding down multiple stairs. "Ow…" a voice whined. Silence reigned once more until the thumping resumed, approaching the door. The voice muttered a curse. Finally, a click, and then a pause before the door swung open suddenly, narrowly avoiding bashing Edrick in the face.

"Hello, hello, welcome to Lord Gaston's most uh—what was that word—humdrum house, dear guests!" The man who stood there possessed a feminine face striped by sideburns and framed by soft brown curls. His belly strained at the polished metal buttons of a maroon vest while he waddled forward on legs that were both too wide and too short for his pants, if the scrapes over his form and the redness of his nose were any indication. He gave the two a wide, buck-toothed smile. "What can I do you for—I mean, do for you?"

Most of the others would recognize the doorman as Hanikap Lefou. However, to Edrick and Ciela, who had been heavily injured or passed out earlier, he was a complete stranger.

OOC

Spoiler

The pace is gradually moving forward. Mene is cleaning house! Timmy was finally rescued from the well quarry! Somebody answered the door! Somebody is opening another! Oh, the excitement! Whatever shall we do?!

Well, post, probably.

Edited by Sethera

x0mgaxu.png?1

Alois didn't seem phased as Penelope offered his services on his behalf, instead responding to the princess saying, "I'd love to but well..." Trailing off, he let Citron speak before explaining else. Then, when his mother denied her help, attempting to do all the cleaning around the house herself he gestured to her saying, "there's that. I swear where does she get her stubbornness from," the boy jokingly shook his head before standing up, not paying much mind to what his mother was doing. "Well, if you don't need our help here then I'd say it's all the better we don't get in your way. Besides," the boy looked over to Citron, "we are kind of at capacity here. So, if my mom doesn't just build an extension to our house in the next few hours then it's probably best we see if we can find someone who can take you in for the night. And I'm sure there's much of this wonderful town you two want to see now that's it back to being a bustling paradise." With sarcasm evident in his tone, he began to walk towards the door.

nALalDq.png?3

Tsetseg looked confused at Gunther as he made his comment, pausing for a moment. "Ew, no, no. I'd never bite a wyvern, I bet they taste gross. Bleh." Then, turning to Phai she looked similarly confused at her question. "I'm fine fine. That wyvern is growling at me so you meet growling with growling like you meet punch with punch or bread with bread - unless they don't want bread then maybe you meet bread with apple? Hmmm, oh but if I was an animal I could growl way better there were these biiiiig fluffy foxes and they were really growly snarly and if I could do that then - oh then I'd also be fluffy too - oh!" The girl's rambling was cut short as she realized that she had entirely stopped paying attention to her quarry and their rider. And in that time the rider had vanished and the wyvern was diving into the hole. 

To Tsetseg's surprise, both Timmy and the Isaurian were carried out with any incident leaving the girl with yet more complicated feelings. "Oh, you didn't get eaten Timmy...hmhmhmhmmmm..." The girl trailed off as she tried to figure out what this meant and also why the Isaurian was in the hole to begin with but she made very little headway before Timmy mentioned going back into town and not leaving Rocky here in case of baddies. "Oh, oh well let's take you - escort you! there. Especially if there are baddies out. Baddies are no good but we're really good at fighting baddies, mhm, mhm." The girl nodded to herself, before looking at Rocky. While normally she would implicate him as a baddy himself, due to what had just happened she had kept silent in words alone. Her glare and incredibly strained expression, as her mouth looked like it was about ready to shout something told a completely different story. Yet, all the same she turned away from him and got ready to head back. 

aonB0Ia.png

“After all, it wouldn’t do for me not to repay you somehow for letting me rest here.”

It was somewhat amusing seeing the girl so intent on repaying Mene given her condition. Perhaps she should have Ciela take a look at her too once she's determined her stance on healing magic.

Mene was quick to deny Citron's help and Penelope felt the need to point something out to the girl. "You know, we did essentially save this town, you even got hurt during it, I think that's enough payment wouldn't you say?"

She didn't raise any objections to Mene insisting on doing things herself. After all it was her own home so it wouldn't be proper to help without being asked. However, she couldn't extend such kindness to Alois as he went to the door intent on finding Citron another place to go for the night.

She gasped and brought a hand to her mouth. "Alois! I cannot believe you would be so quick to send her away. We do not even know yet if Edrick will return to rest here." Her eyes darted over to Mene and then back to Alois with faux-concern on her face. "Do not tell me you are hoping to spend the night here with just me, are you?"

Penelope moved over to Citron and put a hand on the other girl's shoulder. "I didn't expect this so suddenly, Alois." she said. The princess was unable to keep the amused smile from her face so she didn't move her other hand from in front of her mouth to cover it from Mene and Alois. "Don't worry Citron I won't let him toss you out like that."

lcmI449.png

Gunther was relieved that things seemed to be settling down. It was still awkward, with Tsetseg on edge, but at least there was no worry about conflict. It was rather amusing, perhaps a bit frustrating, how easily the wyvern got the boy, who they had been struggling to think how to help, out from his situation. Gunther made sure to tell the wyvern "Good job!" for fulfilling this duty.

"whaddaya says to us all gittin' back to the village? Ah gots sum things to tell Missus Mene. You too, Raki. Ahm thinkin' ye shoold come along this time. I donts want tae leave ye oot 'ere by yerself if'n one of those pair o'baddies comes back."

Mene...ah, right, that was Alois's mother. Well that suited them fine he could report to Penelope all that he had seen while he was away. Though he also remembered he was meant to spend the night elsewhere so it felt slightly awkward going back.

Gunther smiled, despite himself, at Tsetseg's antics. Even if she was worried she still kept her bright energy. Though the smile slipped a moment later. "Oh, oh well let's take you - escort you! there. Especially if there are baddies out. Baddies are no good but we're really good at fighting baddies, mhm, mhm."

"Wait a moment." He said, face screwing up in thought, and looked towards Timmy and Raki. He knew there was the one who cursed the village but, as far as he knew, it was only one person. So then.... "You mentioned a pair of, er, baddies? What is that all about? Is there someone else out here we should be worried about?"

A familiar voice rang up from the bottom floor, though Link heard it most clearly from the broken window. He froze mid-step, stock-still. "Hello?" A few solid thumps. "Hello there? We're Catriona's friends!"

Link swallowed a groan. Why is he here? How is he here? Edrick had still been asleep when he had left—in fact, he had been delirious from blood loss and bedridden by his chest injury. There was no conceivable way Edrick had managed to recover enough to make the journey over. 

Unless… Link risked peeking out the window to see a familiar blue-haired headache. Ciela was awake. And outside. “Spirits,” he hissed under his breath. 

Any soldier who was worth their salt knew that stealth relied on knowledge. Knowledge of the enemy, knowledge of their patterns, knowledge of the location you were planning to infiltrate. It required gathering as much intel as possible and then using it all to weigh the chance of success against the risk of getting caught. When it was done right, a man could temporarily become a ghost. When it was done wrong? When a dumb soldier with a half-baked plan broke into a house with no prior knowledge? When two impulsive, headstrong kids who definitely should not have been there alerted the owners to the fact that there was company? The outcome was all but assured.

Stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Link berated himself as he scrambled for cover. Movement was already coming from the room at the far end of the hall. Catriona is probably in one of these rooms relaxing, and I’m running around like a moron hoping I don’t get caught by some stuffy noble. Some elite soldier I am. 

Link slid into the room near the balcony and quietly closed the door. He ducked into the corner, positioning himself in a way that meant that, if someone were to open the door, he would be hidden behind it. 

Then he took stock of the room he was hiding in. It was empty but the walls were filled with recesses; evenly spaced, round holes, each the size of his head. There was a large pedestal of some kind in the center of the room, and the ceiling rose up in the shape of a hatch, with a hole in the center that sunlight poured through. Link had absolutely no idea what he was looking at.

But there was the lingering smell of animal feces. Not strong enough to be compared to a stable or a pig pen, but just enough to cause him to crinkle his nose a bit. And… was that a bird? Link was almost certain he heard the faint croon of some kind of bird.

Sure enough, a moment later, a bird head popped out of one of the holes in the wall. The bird was unlike any Link had ever seen. It was small with a gray head and traces of green and red around the neck. Bright, orange eyes landed on him immediately, shining with an uncanny glint. It hopped out of the hole and onto the ground when it saw him. Link tried to melt into the wall.

The bird hobbled forward and cooed again. Another few heads poked out of their holes at the sound, and then several more birds started to squeeze out of their hovels. Link sucked in a deep breath and didn’t release it. It was a waiting game.

~~~~~~~~~

Angry Wolf pounded on the door until a big juicy looking human opened it. Yes! Nice one Angry Wolf! Rohns cheered, rolling around and yipping. Now they could go inside the big, ugly cave that Green Wolf had run off alone into. Granted Green Wolf had told him not to do that… but Green Wolf was being a bad wolf. 

Rohns darted between the legs of the fat man and started to run up the stairs. He wasn’t sure where Green Wolf was, but he could smell him, and that meant he could find him!

Edited by Cheshire Toon

Raki shrugged with a smile "Wouldn't be here if you hadn't rescued us before. And yes." He placed a hand on Garinphasia's neck as she received Gunther and Timmy's praise. He supposed that the comment on not having eaten Timmy also counted as a compliment? Kind of? "Yes she is."

Especially since she appeared to have been satisfied with her staring contest. And on the other group's side, the girl had ceased her challenge as well. 'And thank the Goddess they have.'

In exchange, she soon began to stare at him.

Oh well, can't win 'em all.

"Naow… whaddaya says to us all gittin' back to the village? Ah gots sum things to tell Missus Mene. You too, Raki. Ahm thinkin' ye shoold come along this time. I donts want tae leave ye oot 'ere by yerself if'n one of those pair o'baddies comes back."

"Oh, oh well let's take you - escort you! there. Especially if there are baddies out. Baddies are no good but we're really good at fighting baddies, mhm, mhm."

"Yeah, I suppose..." The boy turned in the direction of the village. He had sneaked around to not be seen until a moment ago, but he had just revealed himself to a bunch more people, there wasn't much point in continuing to hide.

"Wait a moment. You mentioned a pair of, er, baddies? What is that all about? Is there someone else out here we should be worried about?"

"Uh, yeah."  He turned towards Timmy, meaning to ask him... though, thinking about it, the whole reason he sneaked into the village was to find someone whom he could tell what happened. Phai wasn't Amas, but Timmy just told him he could trust her, and if these people were the ones that managed to break the transformation, maybe they could have found it useful. "We can explain while we return, I think? Phasia, follow us, but remain hidden unless I call for you, I don't want to cause panic." The wyvern showed no immediate reaction to his words, but as he turned towards the village, she didn't move to follow, limiting herself to keeping her gaze on his back.

"So, me and Timmy were there at the quarry, back to being humans and all." He pointed roughly to the place near the quarry where they were hiding. "And we heard those two guys discussing, I think their names are Hanikap and... Platelets? Pilates? Er... how was the name?"

"Anyway, It was mostly Hanikap telling stuff that happened in a secret passage or something to... to that other one. He answered, I think, but I couldn't for my life repeat you what he was saying, something about moving forward plans... probably." He turned towards the others "Anyway, Polases then went away, and I tried to sneak into the village to find someone to tell about it. I, ahem, didn't manage to, so I was coming back when I found you all there."

Edited by Arkars

Citron wasn’t exactly thrilled to be brushed aside yet again so quickly due to the state of her arm; of course she couldn’t use it to help, but did that make her useless to any task? It was made worse by the fact that, obviously, she couldn’t push the problem; it wouldn’t have been polite, which really tied the paradox she found herself in up into a nice little pandora’s box of social conventions. “...Yes Ma’am.” Citron eventually relented, as the woman sat down and went quiet for a few moments… Only for the woman to, as soon as the words had left the young merchant’s face, begin moving items about once again. 

A twisted knot of guilt once again formed in Citron’s stomach as the woman revealed she was trying to make room for her once again. Luckily for her, as soon as she was about to suggest she herself should probably leave instead of making more trouble for them, it seemed Alois as though had come to the same conclusion - even if a bit less eloquently than normal social situations might have called for - as he suggested the same thing. Citron was about to open her mouth to agree, to state that she could sleep wherever Peaches at the very least. After all, it wouldn’t have been the first time she had done just that, sleeping in either a stable or simply out in the open, only…

… That, was when the princess threw a proverbial fruit-rind into the mix, turning the situation sour; or at the very least, making it more complex in its flavor. The Princess changed the situation quickly, much faster than Citron was really in the mood for at this point in the day, but… She didn’t really have any room to try and resist either, so she simply nodded as the princess accused Alois of trying to get with her - something Citron herself had to wonder a little bit, given their apparent… Chemistry? Sure, she’d call it that - and then professed, in secret, that she’d do her best to keep Alois from tossing her out. “Thanks,” was all she managed to get out as she had to wonder…

Were the social situations this complicated for Peaches, wherever she was?

No, they couldn’t possibly be. What kind of question is that?

Edited by Tiamat's Circus

To look at Mene, one would think her earlier exhaustion a lie. She moved with the determined stomp of a mother on a mission, the back-and-forth flitter of a robin feathering her nest, removing what bits she found wanting, her veil fluttering behind her like a wing.

"Alois! I cannot believe you would be so quick to send her away. We do not even know yet if Edrick will return to rest here. Do not tell me you are hoping to spend the night here with just me, are you?"

The woman's frenzied dance came to a halt, a beat out of sync. She turned her head to stare at first Penelope, and then Alois. Her eyes revealed a flicker of wariness that was quickly extinguished by a tide of disapproval. "Now, Alois, if'n Miss Penelope's words be true, then I 'ave to say as I'm mightily disappointed in ye. I thought I'd raised ye better." She pursed her lips. "Still, mightn't be the worst idea to look around, maybe take a peek at the house down the road. Alois can show ye. Just be sure to either come back or bed down afore dark."

Gunther, Tsetseg, and Raki

Phai nodded along in a rare understanding of Tsetseg's impassioned litany. "Fluffy foxes that were growling? Where did you meet those? They sound a little scary…unless, of course, they were friendly, then that would be a different story." She straightened up at the archer's last sentence. "Baddies? In our village? How could that be?" The militia girl listened to Raki's explanation, expression stiffening further with every word. "Pylauses and Hanikap," she muttered in a quiet voice tinged with disbelief.

The group followed a worn-down hunting trail that wound through the forest like a snake as they started the return journey back to the village. "Aye, t'was them," Timmy agreed, stretching his arms as he moved to the front of the pack, surefooted and confident. "I stayed t'listen longer, but ah didna hear much else. Hanikap caught me whiles I was still fixin' to do summat, shoved me down inter this 'ere hole, an' there ye 'ave it." His cheerful tone clashed with the heaviness of his words. The boy walked as if he were on a daytime stroll, hopping over rivulets of water and fallen logs.

"That's unbelievable," Phai muttered, pushing a stray tree branch aside for the rest of the group to pass before taking up the rear. Unlike Timmy's jaunty skips, her steps sank into the ground, heavy with dread. "How could Hanikap push you down a well—quarry like that?" she corrected herself. "And what's this about a secret passage?"

"Reminds me o' summat my papa said," Timmy replied. "Said the mayor must've been in high cotton wool cuz he 'ad some fancy schmancy secret passage. Course, he shut up when ah asked him 'bout that." He shook his head. "Haven't ye noticed it, Phai? There's somefing we ain't knowin', but the grown-ups do, an' they ain't tellin'."

"I…" the girl's silver eyes glazed over in thought. "Yeah. You're right. But I don't know what it could be. I think Acantha does, but she won't tell me either." She glanced at the rest of the group. "S-Sorry, this must all sound so strange…" She laughed nervously. "U-Unless it's not. Maybe you've seen weirder on your travels?"

Edrick and Ciela

"Huh?" Hanikap scratched his head. "I thought I saw a wolfydog." He turned to look behind him, at Rohns climbing up the stairs. "I did, I did saw a wolfydog!" A pause, and then, "Oh, no! I can't let that thing get near Lord Pylauses." The man waddled after Rohns like an ungainly duck. He stumbled, almost tripping once more, but caught himself and resumed the chase with renewed vigor.

Meanwhile, Edrick and Ciela stood alone at the front of the house. Through the open door, they would see what looked like a large parlor, all polished wood flooring and upholstered red velvet furniture. Patterned rugs created a bizarre mosaic, and paintings of various hunting scenes took up every spare inch of wall space. A door stood on each end of the opposite wall, an enormous staircase sandwiched between them. The same staircase Hanikap was currently scaling, huffing and puffing with every step.

Link

The birds approached Link like a troop of soldiers surrounding a single enemy. A few cocked their heads to the side and cooed curiously. Others just stared straight at him with empty eyes.

Meanwhile, above the noise of the birds, the mercenary would hear footsteps approaching his room, along with a muttered voice. "Blasted avianators! They must be insatiated. I shall have to nourish them before dispatching my memorandum." Shortly after, he could hear the creak of the door opening.

OOC

Spoiler

Not much going on here, just a continuation of what happened before. Dialogue and interaction. Don't forget you can reference the website if you forget what NPCs or locations look like. Not much else to say except react and stuff.

Edited by Sethera

lcmI449.png

Gunther tried to figure out just what Raki was saying. Not only were the names certainly not names the young man didn't really seem to know what it was the two were talking about. It wasn't until Phai replied, seemingly to know which villagers he was trying to mention, that Gunther realized they were actually people and not some sort of strange magic creatures.

Timmy expanded on it farther. And while Gunther still wasn't entirely sure of the situation it was clear these two were, in fact, 'baddies'. And from Phai's reaction it would appear the other villagers might not realize it. Which meant that there was a potential danger to the princesses yet lingering in this village.

"It seems to be one thing after the other here. No wonder Alois is....Alois." he muttered.

"S-Sorry, this must all sound so strange…" Phai laughed nervously. "U-Unless it's not. Maybe you've seen weirder on your travels?"

"You don't know the half of it." Gunther said with an awkward smile. "I might know what they meant by passage in fact...but that's not the problem here. These, er, fellows might be setting a plan in motion as we speak and using all the confusion of the day to get away with it. We'd best get back as soon as we can, I have...friends who might be in trouble if there's foul business afoot."

He hesitated and then, to Phai, said "Might it be a good idea to gather some of the others...just in case?"

Gunther intended to go straight back to where Penelope was but if there was something going on it was possible it was best to not all go to the same place and instead get multiple things done at once. Then again perhaps it best they keep Phai around in case no one believed Timmy and the stranger.

He shook his head. How did Penelope make decisions when there was always so many factors? The thought only drove it in more to him that he needed to talk to the princesses. They'd know what to do.

x0mgaxu.png?1

As Alois was getting ready to leave the house, in search of other lodgings, he stopped as Penelope started to speak up. As she insinuated that he was trying to kick the wyvern rider out of his house, the boy raised an eyebrow. She wasn't wrong, per se; he did want to kick her out of the house and Edrick's status of lodging wasn't something he was really considering in that regard. If anything, he wanted all of them out of his house. Heck, he wanted himself out of his house too but it seemed that they were staying in the village for the night so it was more just a matter of course then anything else. "Sure but - " the boy was cut off as the princess continued speaking before making her final accusation against his behavior. 

"Wait, wait. Wait." The boy was trying to keep the situation under control as he could see the situation devolving against him, trying to clear up any misunderstanding that was going on. The boy's defense however came to a screeching halt. He didn't quite understand why, but it took him a moment to process the words that she had said, Something he didn't quite understand that made him pause. It wasn't the words themselves or even the intent behind them, but something about it definitely stuck out to him. As a result, he seemed to more contemplating this then actively trying to defend himself, which left him staring into space only to then return to see that his mother had seemed to have to want a word with him now. 

Uncharacteristically, in spite of his generally flippant behavior, Alois seemed to shrink back from his mother's stern disapproving gaze. "I mean yeah, that's all I was doing. Trying to, you know, show them all the places around town." Letting out a resigned sigh, Alois opened the door and said, "I'll just sleep outside tonight." 

nALalDq.png?3

Though Tsetseg kept up her conflicted glare towards Rocky it soon broke way to curiosity as the boy explained what he had overheard between the two town villagers. The girl didn't really recognize the names given, but she almost certainly remembered a secret passage. She hadn't been in many secret passages in her life, but was caught wondering if there was more than one passage in this village. As she thought about it more, the girl then looked to Phai and assured her with a smile. "I haven't been to many places since I left Locris but this seems just as normal as the last place we went to. Mhm, mhm. People that become lovable fluffy animals and secret passages. All normal, yup!" The girl nodded and smiled before looking lost in thought, "oh, hm, hm. Maybe all Histian villages have secret passages?" 

As she mused about this, Gunther then spoke up as well, causing the girl to nod with a more serious look on her face. "We can't just sit by if there are still more baddies around the town. Even if the big rocky wyvern - " the girl paused again, glancing over to the Isaurian again before back to Gunther, "was defeated, that's no reason for a patrol member to stop until all the baddies are taken care of!" The girl emphatically declared, puffing her chest out with pride. "So, let's go meet up with the others." 

E54FQBk.png

"Hello, hello, welcome to Lord Gaston's most uh—what was that word—humdrum house, dear guests!" Well Edrick wouldn't have used the word "humdrum" here, but at least this somewhat portly man seemed reasonably friendly! And... maybe a little familiar, where had he seen him before? Well that could wait for later. "What can I do you for—I mean, do for you?"

"Well, like I was sayin' when I was knockin'-" And before Edrick could actually get the rest of his explanation out, a familiar menace presented himself and bolted up into the house. The boy swore under his breath in his native tongue, and a little after the portly man turned around to try and pursue the wolf pup. But... he was briefly distracted by the way the enormous parlor was decorated. All polished wood, rugs in confusing patterns, hunting scenes. It wasn't quite the same, the subject matter was different for one, but it brought him back to the few times in his life he'd accompanied his father to one of the capitals. Thankfully he kept himself going in spite of the nostalgia, and without bothering to try and do much figuring out as to the meaning of any of these designs throughout the room he went after Rohns.

"Scuzati-ma!" He called out as he went ahead and took advantage of the fact that he was considerably thinner than this portly fellow and got to bolting his way up the stairs and weaved around him. The faster he caught that tiny menace, the faster they could get back to actually catching up with Catriona. And ideally not making an enemy out of someone in this town.

aonB0Ia.png

Well, Penelope couldn't say she wasn't disappointed. She had thought that would produce a much more amusing response from everyone involved. Perhaps they were all too tired for these sorts of games?

There was something amusing about Alois saying he would sleep outside, sure, but it was also annoying for reasons Penelope didn't understand.

She let out an uncharacteristic sigh, letting the brief moment of negativity out with it, and put a finger to her chin as she thought things over. "Perhaps I am bored." she said. Her voice was soft but in this small house it could be heard which she hadn't intended. So the princess cleared her throat and straightened up. She looked over towards Citron. "Did you, perhaps, among your possessions have any books or maybe a board game or some such thing? It would be nice to have something to pass the time."

She raised her voice and glanced Alois's way as the young man started to open the door. "If a certain someone isn't going to provide sufficient distraction after dropping me off at his home I shall have to find something else to do after all."

Link felt the noose slipping around his neck. It tightened with every footstep—the closer they got, the harder he had to fight for every breath. His hand fumbled for the hilt of his sword. The familiar leather-wrapped hilt anchored him to the waking world and dammed the rising tide of panic that threatened to sweep him away. Think, he muttered. Getting caught was not an option. His first instinct was to subdue the ‘lord’ with force if required. It was what would come after the initial scuffle that troubled him. How would he be able to justify it to the others? What would he even do, leave him tied up in the room with a dozen of the weird birds? He couldn’t hide behind the orders of his superiors. His actions had to have solid reasoning behind them.

His mind kept returning to one idea. Over and over again, it bubbled to the front of all of his thoughts. This could be a matter of life and death. I have no idea where Catriona is at the moment. I should just force the answers out of him.

The soldier grimaced and suppressed the thought. He had done it before, but only acting on the orders of his superiors. The act usually made him sick to his stomach for days; he doubted it was just the chill that had caused him to fall ill after he had pulled information out of the bandit in the forest. He refused to resort to such an extreme with no proof the princess was in danger… well, no proof except his own paranoia. He had already dug the hole deep enough by breaking into the house instead of just knocking. 

A bird pecking his boot caught his attention. Gaston was muttering about bird-feeding to himself outside the door. The two things put together caused a lightning bolt of thoughts in the soldier’s brain. Food! Ilia used to throw out scraps all the time to get the birds to come down and eat. . .

Link snatched a biscuit from his tunic and crushed it in his hand, throwing the crumbs at the center of the room and then slipping to the spot behind the door right as it began to open.

Rohns was confused by all the scents in the house. He could smell a whole lot of kinds of animals—maybe even more kinds than there were in the forest. He ignored them in favor of chasing after Green Wolf’s scent. This led him up the stairs and all the way to the end of a hallway that was blocked by a door.

The wolf cub tried to scratch the door open but it didn’t budge. He scooted all the way up to the edge and tried to stick his mouth underneath it, biting and yipping and trying to force his way inside.

Edited by Cheshire Toon

…Well, this bit fell flat pretty quickly. Citron had seen these sorts of things before, where a joke or prank hadn’t gone quite like the speaker had expected, but the speed with which it was thrown away when Alois’ showed his own discomfort was… Well, it was surprising, to say the least. Most bad-joke-tellers weren’t so keenly aware when their joke was received this badly, so, in a way, Citron supposed it was a fresh breath of air, as odd as it seemed. Still, the conversation had shifted from the joke to a question, as the Princess turned to face her. 

“Not really, sorry, your Highness,” Citron gave a quick shrug. “I… Have a journal I keep, like my grandfather did, but it’s not got much in it you haven’t heard from me yourself, really…” She explained, laughing sheepishly as she trailed off… And then paused, her expression shifting justa bit “Though that… Actually reminds me, I meant to spend the next bit of time writing down the events of today, but I’m dry on ink. I know it’s terribly rude of me, but do you happen to have any yourself? I'd be more than willing to let you read the journal if you did.” She gave a quick smile, slowly moving to stand up, as she looked around.

“Um... Matters of entertainment aside… If you don’t want to sleep here with Alois, we could check the rest of the village,” Citron would nod, glossing over her careless choice of words as she glanced around, moving towards the door. “I have half a mind to find out where Peaches is staying and just sleep beside her, so as to avoid troubling our hosts anymore than I already have, after all.” She murmured, forcing a quick smile to her face as she shook her head. “And I’m sure we can find somewhere nice for you to stay too, if we look hard enough.”

"Pylauses and Hanikap,"

"Oh, yes, that." Raki dared not to repeat the name himself "You know them well?"

Then Timmy revealed what had happened.

"He... threw you into the pit?" That certainly explained the situation. All while he was busy getting himself lost, that is. He began to regret not telling Phasia to just follow him directly to the village. He clenched his teeth. Timmy was putting it lightly, but Raki could imagine the results had he hit one of the edges of the quarry, or landed wrong...

He didn't even have an helmet!

Almost tripping over a nearby root dragged his attention back to the conversation at hand. His arms spinning wildly to regain his balance, least he end up face first on the ground. It sounded like Timmy and Phai had some idea about what the two were referring to.

"S-Sorry, this must all sound so strange… U-Unless it's not. Maybe you've seen weirder on your travels?"

"I haven't been to many places since I left Locris but this seems just as normal as the last place we went to. Mhm, mhm. People that become lovable fluffy animals and secret passages. All normal, yup! Oh, hm, hm. Maybe all Histian villages have secret passages?" 

"You don't know the half of it. I might know what they meant by passage in fact...but that's not the problem here. These, er, fellows might be setting a plan in motion as we speak and using all the confusion of the day to get away with it. We'd best get back as soon as we can, I have...friends who might be in trouble if there's foul business afoot. Might it be a good idea to gather some of the others...just in case?"

Those two... Where had they been traveling through, exactly? Wherever it was, it didn't prevent them to give nearly opposite answers. Then the girl glanced at him while talking about a defeated wyvern. Was she referring to Garinphasia?

He shook his head. If the girl felt like the previous... confrontation, for lack of a better word, had ended with her victory, he wouldn't be the one to reopen that page, but...

No, she'd mentioned something about dark magic and rock wyverns before, hadn't she?

As they kept moving under the trees, he turned towards the two "For me it's fine, it's not like I have other places to go." Also, didn't the girl mention something about being a patrol member? But they also had just arrived... oh, whatever "And if you guys are really the ones who made me stand on two feet again, I owe you one anyway. Speaking of which, care to tell me exactly what happened? I feel like I'm missing pieces here."

"I'll just sleep outside tonight."

"Oh, no ye ain't," Mene said. "You'll catch yer death o'cold out there. I ain't lettin' no one be asleepin' outside." She would've said more, but stopped upon hearing Penelope's quiet comment. The words took the wind from her sails as easily as puncturing a hole through them. But whether Alois's mother was dispirited or else remained to be seen. Her shoulders sagged, mouth softening, but her eyes had narrowed into sharpened brittle. The woman said nothing as she busied herself with cleaning, eventually leaving the house and shutting the door behind her to let the trio talk amongst themselves. 

Until the others arrived.

Gunther, Tsetseg, and Raki

"Oh, yes, that. You know them well?"

"By hecky I do—weel, nae really." Timmy scratched his head. "They're, uhh, whaddaya call it, infamous." He glanced around, as if fearing the trees and bushes would carry away his words. "A'body in town knows o' em. Pylauses is as highfalutin' as ye can get, thinks the sun comes up jest to 'ear him crow. An' Hanikap jest does whate'er Pylauses asks o' him." He then moved on to his explanation of how he ended up in the quarry pit.

Phai's expression, which had sunk further into a hangdog frown, lifted slightly as she listened to Tsetseg. "Oh, so that's where you must have met the fluffy foxes then. Where was that again?" However, Gunther's words brought her back to painful reality. "I still can't believe they would do that. How could anybody do such a thing? When we're all suffering, trying to work together… Why would they do something like this?!"

"'Cause they're grown-ups, and sometimes grown-ups are bad'uns," Timmy explained with the simple wisdom of a child.

After Raki asked his question, were the others to expand upon what happened, both Phai and Timmy would listen, though Phai would seem much more interested. Timmy, in contrast to Phai's rising panic, beamed like nothing was wrong when they passed his father Paulos, giving a giant wave. The man waved back, unsurprised to see the group he has sent after Timmy had grown from Gunther, Tsetseg, and Lassie to include Sienna, Raki, Phai, and Icleias. Or he just didn't care. It was hard to tell.

Alois, Penelope, Gunther, Tsetseg, Citron, and Raki

Eventually, the crowd reached Mene's house, with the woman outside sweeping away stray debris with a broom. Every so often she would lean over to pat a nearby peach-colored wyvern who was sleeping nearby.

"Heyo Mene, it's Timmy! Ah've got some news fer ya." The boy's shout was loud enough to be heard even from inside the house.

"Timmy." Mene set the broom aside, wiping her hands off on her apron as she approached. "What can I do ye for?" Her smile widened when she noticed the wyvern rider with him. "And Raki too! What a surprise. Not that I'm complainin', mind." She winked. "Hopefully, with everythin' going on, the mayor won't mind an extra face or two."

Timmy pointed at Raki. "Me an' Raki, we were oot in the woods, an' 'eard some real nasty business." He explained what the Isaurian had gone over earlier to the group. "Ah reckon they're fixin' to pull off some grand ol' scheme o' sorts. Ah knows fer sure it's bad, cuz when Hanikap saw me, he pushed me inter the quarry pit all apanicked, so's at least it's summat ah wasnae supposed t'hear."

Mene clucked her tongue in worry. "That Edrick boy an' the girl with the horse jest left recently fer Pylauses's house. Tweren't long afore that an' they were mightily injured." She frowned. "Come t'think of it, that young man in green headed out afore them. An' that young lady too… methinks 'er name was Cat somethin'." She paled. "Dear Dragon… Mayhap the mayor was right 'bout Pylauses. He never did trust 'im. But I never paid him much mind. Fact is, he could do with a little more trustin'."

Timmy nodded. "Ah always thought they were strangelike, though I ain't never was 'spectin' them to go pushin' me inter holes an' such."

Phai paled, before firming her expression. "I'm…I'm gonna go grab Acantha. And maybe Cora, if I can find her. We need to get this straightened out, especially if they're up to no good! I-If it's nothing though…" she trailed off. "We can just…apologize. Yeah! …Hopefully that'll work." She glanced at Tsetseg. "D-Do you wanna come with? Or not… Whichever you decide, I'm fine with."

Edrick and Ciela

Hanikap sputtered out some protests when Edrick slipped past him. "Oi, I mean, hey, wait! Please, uhh, stay in the parlor, good sir!"

When nothing happened, the man sighed, but continued to climb the stairs, chasing after the others with exhausted desperation. "Oh, rats, Lord Gaston is going to kill me," he muttered.

Link

The door opened, only for Pylauses to slam it shut immediately. "What in the azure blazes?!" he shouted. "Demned animals!" The door swung open again. This time, the man marched inside in high dudgeon, shooing the pigeons back to their holes. During all of this, he neither noticed Link nor was he paying attention to the doorway.

OOC

Spoiler

Almost everybody has finally reunited! Atm Alois, Penelope, and Citron are inside Mene's house, and Gunther, Tsetseg, Raki, Sienna, Peaches, Mene, Phai, Icleias the dog, Timmy, and Lassie the dog are outside the house. Maybe Garinphasia too.

Meanwhile, Edrick and Link are inside Pylauses's house, and Ciela is just outside the house with Remy.

Post and stuff, please and thanks. 🙂

Edited by Sethera

nALalDq.png?3

Tsetseg tapped her chin for a moment as Rocky had asked for context, thinking back on all that had happened since they arrived here. "Hm, hm, hm. Well...So, so see," the girl had started her long winded explanation. "When we first got here we were gonna go ask people about stuff but then, there weren't people and just animals instead. Lots of animals like dogs, badgers, beavers - oh yeah yeah, before we got here we were also attacked by beavers. And so we looked allll around for people and found one and he was actually an animal the whole time, and so we kept looking and stuff. And so then someone was like, "let's go to the Mayor's house" so we did. Oh, oh we also met this really nice girl named Cora and she had a horse which I think was also a horse the whole time. And there was also another Isaurian who wet met before that and she had a really scary wyvern that was pink!" The girl exclaimed this emphatically, seeming to shudder at her recollection of her first encounter with Citron, her tone noticeably getting less excited as she recalled that specific part. Yet, it bounced back as she continued. 

"So then we were in the Mayor's house and then we had a fun scavenger hunt! So, like, the mayor did a whole bunch of carvings around the house and we had to find where and what they were! It was really fun but I couldn't really understand what it was we were looking for. Oh, I also made friends with a rat in the basement! There was also this door there and someone was like, "click click click" on the door and woosh it went open! And then there was a whole passage and a ladder and then we were in a building with a really big stone wyvern thing. And then it came to life and tried to kill us but we killed it first! And then we met all of you guys and that was all today." The girl nodded as she finished her story, pleased with her summary of the events. 

Once they had made their way over to Mene's house, Tsetseg listened to the woman and Timmy speak. As it had turned out, most of her companions that already weren't with her had gone to investigate the house of the baddies. Nodding to herself, thinking that something was afoot herself with no idea what that could possibly be. Still, she didn't seem too concerned as she said, "well, well, if it's Catry and Green Guy then they're probably all good. Those two are real cool and helpful and reliable and stuff. Mhm. But, but...hmm..." The girl's growing sense of curiosity was getting the better of her, and as Phai asked if she wanted to come along the girl smiled enthusiastically, "of course! The more people the better, especially when dealing with baddies." The girl nodded.

x0mgaxu.png?1

"I've been sleeping outside for the past few weeks, I think I won't die of cold for a night," the boy joked back to his mother. Though, as he turned back to look at her, he had seen the folly in his timing as the woman didn't seem to be in a joking mood at the moment. Though now feeling slightly awkward as she went to silently clean Alois attempted to still push through the atmosphere as he looked to Penelope. "Well excuse me, not every house can have a treasure hunt or living statue in it. I'm sure there's a book or two I never returned in here though, if you're really itching to kill the time." As Citron made her second comment, Alois felt a twitch in his brow as if annoyed for some reason by what she said, and then moved out of the way of his mother as she made way to clean outside. 

Letting out a sigh of relief as she did so, the boy feeling a weight lifted as she did so, he muttered, "oh man I did not miss those moments." Looking back to Citron he addressed her last comment saying, "well, if what you just saw was anything to go by no one's going to be sleeping outside tonight. Even if we all have to pack in only here in one big sleeping bundle or something. And we might have some ink lying around here, maybe around town or something I don't know. I've never need to write much of anything." The boy's ears perked up though, as he could hear through the walls something outside. "Well, looks like we don't have to go far to find trouble here. Go figure." Opening the door he looked out to see a large group of people, most of whom were not part of the party he came into this town with. 

"Well, you guys look like you've made some friends," he spoke to his companions. Giving a wave he said, "hey Timmy. They didn't have to fish you out of some hole did they?" And to the other he examined her and smiled saying, "and Phai, well that's surprising. I didn't think you knew what end to swing a sword from when I left." Though his usual snark came through, Alois couldn't help but feel happy for the always earnest girl and said, "but well, good job."  Clearing his throat, he looked to the third newcomer he paused and furrowed his brow in confusion. "This is third one today." Once Penelope had made it outside he turned to her. "We - my town - it borders Galtea right?" 

aonB0Ia.png

Penelope smiled at Citron. She almost felt bad making her worry over her. Almost. But at the suggestion they head out and search for elsewhere to go she had to shake her head. "No, no, I think I've moved around enough today. Now that today's excitement is all over I think it best I stay in one place."

"I've never need to write much of anything."

"Well, that should certainly change! I'm sure you'll have plenty of people to write to by journey's end. But, to the point, I may have some ink for you to use, Citron..." She paused in her speaking as both her and Alois heard the noises outside at the same time.

He got there first and began to speak to people who seemed to be Gunther and the rest, plus some extra. Growing curious Penelope moved towards the door and, as Alois was still near the doorway, squeezed up next to him to poke her head out and examine the group.

"We - my town - it borders Galtea right?"

"Mhm, but yes it seems this place is becoming quite the melting pot in its own right." Penelope smiled as she looked at the newcomers. She didn't know what to make of them but as Gunther had brought them she was sure they were safe. Still, she had to wonder what it was that was bringing all these people here. Her eyes settled on Gunther and noticed the expression on his face. "Is something the matter?"

lcmI449.png

Gunther hesitated when Raki asked his question. Still unsure what he should say or keep to himself. Though it was apparent Tsetseg had no qualms about going over every detail. Despite the situation he smiled as she told the story from her own...unique perspective. Well, at least he didn't have to worry about what he could reveal. "Yes, that sums it up rather well I'd say." Gunther nodded along with what Tsetseg had said.

The trip back didn't take overly long for which Gunther was thankful for. None seemed to stop them and question who Raki was and where they were going in such a hurry. He didn't think it a good idea to worry the villagers so soon after this incident. Not before talking to Penelope and Catriona at the very least.

Though as they got back and exchanged information with Mene his face paled. Catriona was with that man? Sure, Link had gone as well but...Edrick and Ciela too? It was wave after wave of thoughts that struck him as he considered things. Catriona was surely capable but he didn't know what this man could do. Link being with was a relief but Edrick having gone only made him more nervous of what plot might be afoot.

He didn't wish to think ill of Ciela but he also was unsure her presence would help or hinder Catriona's situation.

"Is something the matter?"

Penelope's voice cut through his conflicting thoughts and he looked up and felt immediate relief upon seeing her face. He gave a short nod. "There seems to be some trouble and Catriona may be right in the middle of it."

aonB0Ia.pnglcmI449.png

"There seems to be some trouble and Catriona may be right in the middle of it."

The young tactician sighed and shook her head, "of course she is. Why am I not surprised this happens when we part ways."

Penelope listened as Gunther explained the situation, pursing her lips in annoyance as she learned of the evident treachery of Pylauses. She had a feeling he was not to be trusted and yet this knowledge hadn't helped. Still, this was a perfect time to remedy the situation. "Alright, then I suppose there's only one thing to do. We shall go and confront this man. Alois, come along, we might have to break his door down if he refuses us entry."

She smiled, "after all if it turns out to be nothing I'm sure no one would take his complaints seriously. Yes, I think a frontal assault shall serve us nicely in this situation."

Gunther was relieved at how quickly Penelope made her decision. Though he couldn't help but be a bit nervous at how...excited she seemed to be about the prospect he couldn't deny that he, too, was eager to head there immediately and demand answers from this man. "As you say, then we should be on our way as soon as possible." He looked towards Phai. "Ah, er, I hope you don't mind any...mess you may have to help clean up when you've gathered the rest."

Penelope gave a nod, realizing this young lady must be from the guard, and said "of course we'll do our best to keep any disturbance solely to that oily snake." It was true she had wished to rest but she couldn't say this wasn't a distraction from boredom. Not to mention if she were to rescue her sister perhaps the older girl would lose any notion that Penelope shouldn't be on this journey with them.

And she really wanted to see Pylauses's reaction to them storming his home.

Raki listened to Phai and Timmy as he made his way to the village yet again. Those two individuals, they weren't very popular around here, were they?

'I mean, fine by me' So far, he wasn't finding the thought of them to be filling him with much joy either.

What was much more liberating was to, for the first time, approach the village without the fear and tension of having to remain unseen.

Even though...

He couldn't help but tense for an instant when Timmy waved in the distance. It was but the blink of an eye, but enough to let him know that, no matter how much he relaxed, some part of his mind was still on edge, wondering when someone would have decided he was out of place there.

then Tsetseg began to talk, and whatever part of his brain naively though to be able to focus on anything but that, was soon dragged to work overtime, desperately trying to follow the flood of words coming his way. A valiant effort, all said and done.

"And then we met all of you guys and that was all today."

"Wait, another Isaurian..."

He even managed to make it halfway through by the time she was done with her tale.

"Yes, that sums it up rather well I'd say."

And sum it up was what Raki attempted to do, all the way until they were almost at Mene's house.

"So. You arrived, found everyone turned into animals, went to the mayor's house, found a girl named Cora and another Isaurian wyvern rider... wait, is that what you meant by 'another one'?"

Raki scratched his head. He was getting sidetracked, and that was the last thing he needed. Adding sand to a desert wasn't going to make it less of a desert.

"You found a passage leading to... a magic stone wyvern." He blinked "You smashed it, and that was it, right?" That should've been everything. He hoped it was everything.

Either way, they had arrived to Mene's house. Most notably, Raki did not recall the presence of a wyvern, and actual one, not a magic stone one, in the area, but if he understood correctly, he thought as he nodded back to the woman's welcome, that was from the second rider the girl talked about.

Then the young man that had been talking to the others spoke to him.

"This is third one today."

"The... third one?"

Oh no

It wasn't everything

"That Edrick boy an' the girl with the horse jest left recently fer Pylauses's house. Tweren't long afore that an' they were mightily injured." She frowned. She paled. "Dear Dragon… Mayhap the mayor was right 'bout Pylauses. He never did trust 'im. But I never paid him much mind. Fact is, he could do with a little more trustin'."

Other people being named, friends of the group, he assumed. And none of them seemed very happy about the news, including the assertive young woman that came out of the house shortly after. Understandable, unless one was to wish to have their friends thrown into a pit.

"If it isn't a problem, may I join if you're going to the place of... those two." He gave a longing gaze to the peach-colored wyvern. He really should've brought Phasia with him. "I have some questioning to do myself."