Jolly Glot

[IGAS] Armory Call

So you want to Equip Cards during your opponent’s turn?

EFRvt8qU4AAAxSg.jpg?resize=300%2C216&ssl

IGAS-JP077  アームズ・コール Arms Call (Armory Call)
Normal Trap Card

You can only activate this card’s name once per turn.
(1) Add 1 Equip Spell Card from your Deck to your hand, then you can equip it to a monster you control that can equip with that card.

Source: https://ygorganization.com/maybesummonedarmory/

I don't quite get why it adds to hand first, then it Equips, when there are effects that directly equip Equips form the GY and whatnot. Is it to make it vulnerable to Ash, Mistake, etc? Odd.
Card looks promising though, May be 1 turn slow as a Trap, and Traps may be not that relevant in current format except for when going first and searchable disruptions, but its chainable and with all sort of Equips around it behaves as a really flexible Trap, from surprise ATK boosts, to protections, etc. If Metaverse saw play in Field-reliant decks even with Terraforming around, then this has potential to be decent to good in Equip-reliant decks.

31 minutes ago, Darj said:

I don't quite get why it adds to hand first, then it Equips, when there are effects that directly equip Equips form the GY and whatnot. Is it to make it vulnerable to Ash, Mistake, etc? Odd.
Card looks promising though, May be 1 turn slow as a Trap, and Traps may be not that relevant in current format except for when going first and searchable disruptions, but its chainable and with all sort of Equips around it behaves as a really flexible Trap, from surprise ATK boosts, to protections, etc. If Metaverse saw play in Field-reliant decks even with Terraforming around, then this has potential to be decent to good in Equip-reliant decks.

It searches and then gives you the option of equipping because not all Equip Spells can instantly be equipped onto a monster on the field or if at all given the likes of Premature Burial and Symbol of Heritage. It's so you're not locked out of all the Equip Spells in the game by being forced to equip from the deck.

Yeah, to follow up what Warden said, I think some of the more relevant equips out there (besides "Phoenix Blade") are "Living Fossil" and "SPYRAL - Big Red", (ie. Premature Burial clones) so adding before equipping makes sense.

The fact you have to equip the card you searched feels off though. It'd have been pretty neat if you could search then equip ANY equip from your hand.

Nitpicks aside, this card is searchable via Trap Trick, which raises the number of any specific equip card to 7+ (3 this, 3 Trap Trick, and at least 1 Equip). It makes it so you don't have to actively run as many brick Equips, yet have more overall consistency. I like it!

Ooooh right, the equipping effect is optional. Misread it as mandatory. I wonder why it didn't use a text format similar to Metaverse then.

Is it wrong that my first reaction to this is "Yeahhhhhh, Premature Burial is not coming back anytime soon?" Arms Hole FTKs still scare me. That aside, this is rather bemusing with cards like, as just forementioned Moon Mirror Shield. I'm sure there are some others as well, but I am too tired atm to think of the full list. I assume you can't use this during the Damage Step though right? That's the one unfortunate thing about this card, otherwise this is fun.

Yeah, no damage step shenanigans.  Also I'm just noticing that it doesn't let you equip to opponent's monsters (so no Axe of Fools, Duston Mop, etc.).  I'm curious if this bypasses equips with activation conditions (Twin Swords of Flashing Light - Tryce).

Some good targets:

• D.D.R.
  • Saqlifice
  • Moon Mirror Shield
  • Evil Eye Stuff
  • Raptinus' Supreme Magicblade
  • Raising Fire

Maybe "Autonomous Action Unit" too.  Vylons become a bit stronger.  I dunno how much this benefits Noble Knights (never got around to really using that deck).  Also it benefits all those decks with in-archetype Premature Burials (Monarchs, Rokkets, Predaplant, Trickstar, Spyral, Blue-Eyes, Karakuri, Photon/Galaxy, and Morphtronics).

Edited by Tinkerer

I just found another interesting way to use this... So Mermail/ Atlantean, a Deck that usually prefers to go 2nd, has 3 Equips Spells that negate a specified card type (Monster, Spell, Traps) when they resolve: Abyss-scale_of_the_Mizuchi, Abyss-scale_of_the_Kraken, and Abyss-scale_of_Cetus. This trap can be good for Mermail to chain and stun in response to something rather than negate the first thing that activates out of these equip spells mandatory nature.

Edited by BGMキャノン

9 hours ago, BGMキャノン said:

I just found another interesting way to use this... So Mermail/ Atlantean, a Deck that usually prefers to go 2nd, has 3 Equips Spells that negate a specified card type (Monster, Spell, Traps) when they resolve: Abyss-scale_of_the_Mizuchi, Abyss-scale_of_the_Kraken, and Abyss-scale_of_Cetus. This trap can be good for Mermail to chain and stun in response to something rather than negate the first thing that activates out of these equip spells mandatory nature.

That's a cool find, yeah. I did remember of the Mermail Equips when thinking of Equip Cards that can do something during the opponent's turn, but didn't realize that by chaining this card to an effect you can play around the mandatory clause and negate the effect you directly respond to, rather than having to preemptively equip the Spells. And since the Equip negation doesn't start a chain, I guess it cannot be chain blocked and will negate whatever effect resolves after the Trap as long as it is the appropriate card type. Or I guess you can also negate other cards depending on the Equip and the card types of the effects in the chain. For instance, I assume in a chain link of monster effect --> Spell --> this and equip Kraken, the monster effect will be negated. Those are funny interactions now that I think about it.