Sign in to follow this  
Unlisted Member

Beckoning of Silence

Beckoning of Silence
[Normal Spell]

At the start of your Main Phase 1: Declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap); neither player can activate cards or card effects of the declared card type until the end of your turn. Neither player can activate cards or effects in response to this card's activation.

Edited by BGMキャノン

So Shock Master with Heat Wave's conditions? I don't know. I feel that instead of the conditions, it should have some form of cost. There are some Decks that don't need all three card types, or don't utilize them all as often. I feel that with Shock Master's place on the list, an adequate cost would be more in order than a condition. Sure, you could argue that you won't be able to activate Monster cards either, but with the wait between turns, you could do it the next turn.

17 minutes ago, Nyx said:

So Shock Master with Heat Wave's conditions? I don't know. I feel that instead of the conditions, it should have some form of cost. There are some Decks that don't need all three card types, or don't utilize them all as often. I feel that with Shock Master's place on the list, an adequate cost would be more in order than a condition. Sure, you could argue that you won't be able to activate Monster cards either, but with the wait between turns, you could do it the next turn.

Technically speaking there is a hidden cost here: Not just you possibly inhibiting your own cards, but this is a trade off of a -1 by activating it  as it doesn't necessarily make you gain card advantage or make your opponent lose card advantage...There is a risk factor in that you could potentially be up against an opponent that utilizes a similar combination of card types which in essence can make you lose out on plays. And in worse case your opponent could utilize all card types. It is more along the lines a side deck option than anything.

Edited by BGMキャノン

Card is no good, IMO. Unless I'm missing something, it's practically a Cold Wave for Monster, Spell or Traps depending on what you choose, and Cold Wave is currently banned so... Cold Wave would have to be unbanned before making a card like this.
However, if the stun lasts until the end of your turn instead, you may be onto something. It would be a faster omni-Trap Stun, or some kind of Mid-Breaker Field that goes -1.

1 hour ago, Darj said:

Card is no good, IMO. Unless I'm missing something, it's practically a Cold Wave for Monster, Spell or Traps depending on what you choose, and Cold Wave is currently banned so... Cold Wave would have to be unbanned before making a card like this.
However, if the stun lasts until the end of your turn instead, you may be onto something. It would be a faster omni-Trap Stun, or some kind of Mid-Breaker Field that goes -1.

I think the point is so that way your opponent doesn't get to use the indicated card(s) until it's up. Let's say you activate this on turn 1. Now let's say you declared Monster. Sure, you can't activate monsters, but neither can your opponent. And given the variance of their effects, it could sever your opponent's initial play, whilst not hindering yours as badly. Once the effect wears off, you get to go all out with your monsters, while your opponent maybe sent, banished, or maybe put a monster on the field, but didn't get to utilize any of their effects at the time.

And regardless, unless you mean "until the end of your next turn" or anything of the sort, that is worse, as you'll usually just hinder yourself instead of your opponent. Sure there's Traps, but I'm pretty sure this card is meant to have a broader approach.

2 hours ago, Nyx said:

I think the point is so that way your opponent doesn't get to use the indicated card(s) until it's up. Let's say you activate this on turn 1. Now let's say you declared Monster. Sure, you can't activate monsters, but neither can your opponent. And given the variance of their effects, it could sever your opponent's initial play, whilst not hindering yours as badly. Once the effect wears off, you get to go all out with your monsters, while your opponent maybe sent, banished, or maybe put a monster on the field, but didn't get to utilize any of their effects at the time.

Umm... yes? I could tell that much. Naturally you will play this in decks that don't rely too much on Monster effects or Spells and call whatever affects your opponent the most (e.g. call Spells vs. Sky Strikers), or call for Traps when going second and you know your opponent Set a couple of backrow for you. This is practically a better version of Cold Wave, and if Cold Wave is currently banned, this would be banned on the spot if printed as it is.

2 hours ago, Nyx said:

And regardless, unless you mean "until the end of your next turn" or anything of the sort, that is worse, as you'll usually just hinder yourself instead of your opponent. Sure there's Traps, but I'm pretty sure this card is meant to have a broader approach.

Exactly what I meant. Call Monsters and you are safe from hand traps, call Traps and you can go for a push without fear of backrow. Spells would be more situational though, like vs. Magical Musketeers, although with Called by the Grave and Crossout Designator around, it may be a good call every now and then. Mid-Breaker Field was Limited for a reason, so this would behave like a -1, 1-turn Mid-Breaker that can also stop Spells or Traps.

Edited by Darj

48 minutes ago, Darj said:

Umm... yes? I could tell that much. Naturally you will play this in decks that don't rely too much on Monster effects or Spells and call whatever affects your opponent the most (e.g. call Spells vs. Sky Strikers), or call for Traps when going second and you know your opponent Set a couple of backrow for you. This is practically a better version of Cold Wave, and if Cold Wave is currently banned, this would be banned on the spot if printed as it is.

Exactly what I meant. Call Monsters and you are safe from hand traps, call Traps and you can go for a push without fear of backrow. Spells would be more situational though, like vs. Magical Musketeers, although with Called by the Grave and Crossout Designator around, it may be a good call every now and then. Mid-Breaker Field was Limited for a reason, so this would behave like a -1, 1-turn Mid-Breaker that can also stop Spells or Traps.

Which is why I suggested a cost. All those cards have conditions, but none of them have costs. Pay in some way (LP, discard, banish, ect), and still retain its original purpose.

19 minutes ago, Nyx said:

Which is why I suggested a cost. All those cards have conditions, but none of them have costs. Pay in some way (LP, discard, banish, ect), and still retain its original purpose.

I appreciate your persistence, but perhaps... Darj has a point. My design isn't as good as I thought it was, it shares very similar design to Cold_Wave which I can see now is a red flag that I somehow eluded myself from. Even with a cost it still doesn't escape the fact that it resembles the power of Shock Master as you mentioned and Cold Wave as Darj mentioned... Both which are banned in both formats. I think it is back to the drawing board with this one.

Edited by BGMキャノン