Sign in to follow this  
Gorlois

Gate Guardian's Labyrinth

Field Spell
When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Gate Guardian" from your Deck to your hand. When a monster is Normal Summoned/Set: You can place 1 "Suijin", "Kazejin" or "Sanga of the Thunder" from your hand or Deck face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone as a Continuous Spell. Cards placed by this effect can be Tributed to Special Summon "Gate Guardian" through its own method. If "Gate Guardian" you control would be destroyed, you can banish 1 Level 7 monster from your GY instead.

7 hours ago, Gorlois said:

Field Spell
When this card is activated: You can add 1 "Gate Guardian" from your Deck to your hand. When a monster is Normal Summoned/Set: You can place 1 "Suijin", "Kazejin" or "Sanga of the Thunder" from your hand or Deck face-up in your Spell/Trap Zone as a Continuous Spell. Cards placed by this effect can be Tributed to Special Summon "Gate Guardian" through its own method. If "Gate Guardian" you control would be destroyed, you can banish 1 Level 7 monster from your GY instead.

While anything would be good for Gate Guardian and his trio of outdated misfits... And this is certainly no exception: it is great for what it does. But, I feel this is a bit too straightforward for my taste. It essentially gives any Deck that is capable of Normal Summoning/Setting a big beatstick with multiple destruction prevention. Personally, I would rather see multiple archetypal support for these that would facilitate getting out the trio quicker and perhaps even a retrain of Gate Guardian than just 1 generic card consolidated for the purpose of just getting out Gate Guardian for any Deck.

On to what can actually be done with this card though. And because there is no once per turn here: You could technically run Decks capable of multiple Normal Summons like Hunder to get more copies of the trio from your Deck if you have any which could be used for fueling a few things for crazy hybrid Decks (e.g. True Draco, Scrubbed_Raid , etc.).

Agreed with the above. It's solid support but too straightforward, like how Dark Summoning Beast is for the Sacred Beasts. Now, it's not exactly a bad thing, but it comes off as cheap to just make a single card do so many things for an archetype/set/etc. And even then, I don't think it's that impressive. Let's say you dedicate a deck to this, your reward is a beater with a couple of protections from destruction, but it comes with risky dead draws, and once the beater is out you will have to rely on another playstyle that holds its grounds. Thus, IMO it's best played as a 4~6 card "engine" in decks like True Dracos, which already run Field searchers for Diagram.