Sign in to follow this  
Tinkerer

Zoodiac New Yearmory [WRITTEN]

Zoodiac New Yearmory
EARTH ****
Beast-Warrior/Effect
If you control no monsters, or if all the monsters you control are Beast-Warrior monsters, you can Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only Special Summon 1 "Zoodiac New Yarmory" per turn. An Xyz Monster whose original Type is Beast-Warrior and has this card as Xyz Material gains this effect.
- (Quick Effect): You can detach 1 "Zoodiac New Yarmory" from this card, attach 1 "Zoodiac" monster from your Deck or Extra Deck to this card as Xyz Material, except "Zoodiac New Yearmory".
500/500

I've missed Zoodiacs...

Edited by Tinkerer

For flavor purpose what aspect of the Chinese Zodiac is this suppose to represent? We ran out of 12 of Chnese Zodiac animals to represent. So I am not sure where one would go from there to relate to the general theme. Other than maybe a few other animals that in the non-Chinese variant of the Zodiac such as the Cat in Vietnam... Can't remember if there were anymore...

I can see this is an Unexpected_Dai target as well as a Rescue_Rabbit target... The latter offering more ways to pull more other Zoodiac into your Xyz's mat pool since their isn't a hard once per turn or any other restrictions. It should also be noted that Zoodiac_Tigermortar can also recycle this one's effect to pull even more Zoodiac variety into your Xyz's mat pool. While this all would greatly help out the recently crippled Zoodiacs, I am afraid this design would be a deterrent from unbanning Zoodiac_Broadbull and Zoodiac_Drident. Ultimately Zoodiac's would want there engine and boss right now. XD

Edited by BGMキャノン

@BGMキャノン It's supposed to represent the new year. Picture-wise, I thought of it as an amorphous version of a Zoodiac mid-transformation into a different Zoodiac (hence the effect and limitation). It's name uses "Armory" rather than an individual weapon to also fit into this.

8 minutes ago, Tinkerer said:

@BGMキャノン It's supposed to represent the new year. Picture-wise, I thought of it as an amorphous version of a Zoodiac mid-transformation into a different Zoodiac (hence the effect and limitation). It's name uses "Armory" rather than an individual weapon to also fit into this.

Ohhh I see. Well that ties in well with its effect as well considering it would be the toolbox of the archetype. Pretty creative flavor choice given the limitations. ?

Edited by BGMキャノン

I don't quite get why it's treated as a Normal Monster. Surprised you didn't name it "Yearmory".
Anyway, unsure about this card. I can see it can lead to surprise stat boosts and effects from the "when attached" effects of the maindeck Zoodiacs, but it's also taking deck space and in the end it's just an Xyz material searcher/substitute. I lost touch with Zoodiacs so IDK how much they would want to run a card like this. Not to mention the flavor conflict with the 12 zodiac animals.

@Darj Aww man, I thought I worked the flavor pretty well considering I couldn't use any of the animals.

Anyways, this card may not seem like much, but without Drident/Broadbull, a lot of their stronger plays rely on Chakanine. However, it's actually surprisingly difficult to get a Zoodiac in-grave turn 1 (consistently). This card fixes that problem while also acting as a pseudo-searcher by moving Zoos to a more accessible location.

I thought the detach effect was pretty powerful, so I really didn't want to give it another effect. To keep flavor though, I had to put another effect, so I decided on making it a Normal monster for further versatility.

...I realize I probably shoulda put all this in the OP when I first posted it.

i mean in Vietnam and certain version of the Chinese story, Cat is either the 13th Zodiac OR the only one of 13 that dare the perilous journey become one but failed because of the Rat

so Zoodiac Mew Yarmory?

4 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

@Darj Aww man, I thought I worked the flavor pretty well considering I couldn't use any of the animals.

Anyways, this card may not seem like much, but without Drident/Broadbull, a lot of their stronger plays rely on Chakanine. However, it's actually surprisingly difficult to get a Zoodiac in-grave turn 1 (consistently). This card fixes that problem while also acting as a pseudo-searcher by moving Zoos to a more accessible location.

I thought the detach effect was pretty powerful, so I really didn't want to give it another effect. To keep flavor though, I had to put another effect, so I decided on making it a Normal monster for further versatility.

...I realize I probably shoulda put all this in the OP when I first posted it.

I take that back, it can work as a 13th monster with a new year theme. Originally I was thinking you could revisit the card as Spell/Trap instead, and the minor flavor conflict with the monsters supported that, but then I realized it wouldn't be too different to Zoodiac Combo so I scrapped it. And indeed, in a couple of tests I did with Zoodiacs in MR4 I found that getting a Zoodiac in the GY for combos wasn't as practical anymore and help back the opening plays, so any help with that should be welcomed and appreciated.
The Normal monster part is still a bit off, though. Like an overkill/"just because I can", thing. IMO it would like it if it had a self-summoning condition/effect for the hand.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, Jolly Glot said:

i mean in Vietnam and certain version of the Chinese story, Cat is either the 13th Zodiac OR the only one of 13 that dare the perilous journey become one but failed because of the Rat

so Zoodiac Mew Yarmory?

I suppose if I wanted to go for another monster, I could use cat.  Changing this card's name to something cat-related would mean that I'd probably have to change its effects to reflect its new status though.

I'll definitely keep that in mind in case I wanna make another Zoo monster though.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:35 PM, Darj said:

I take that back, it can work as a 13th monster with a new year theme. Originally I was thinking you could revisit the card as Spell/Trap instead, and the minor flavor conflict with the monsters supported that, but then I realized it wouldn't be too different to Zoodiac Combo so I scrapped it. And indeed, in a couple of tests I did with Zoodiacs in MR4 I found that getting a Zoodiac in the GY for combos wasn't as practical anymore and help back the opening plays, so any help with that should be welcomed and appreciated.
The Normal monster part is still a bit off, though. Like an overkill/"just because I can", thing. IMO it would like it if it had a self-summoning condition/effect for the hand.

Fair enough, I changed it to a self-summoner from hand.  And to clear up any confusion I changed its name to Yearmory.

12 minutes ago, Tinkerer said:

I suppose if I wanted to go for another monster, I could use cat.  Changing this card's name to something cat-related would mean that I'd probably have to change its effects to reflect its new status though.

I'll definitely keep that in mind in case I wanna make another Zoo monster though.

Fair enough, I changed it to a self-summoner from hand.  And to clear up any confusion I changed its name to Yearmory.

Another thing I noticed... Yearmory can attach copies of itself from the Deck which in essence you could use this as means of Deck thinning. I would exclude it from being able to attach itself.

13 minutes ago, BGMキャノン said:

Another thing I noticed... Yearmory can attach copies of itself from the Deck which in essence you could use this as means of Deck thinning. I would exclude it from being able to attach itself.

fix'd