LordCowCow

Pokemon: Mind and Soul [IC / PG / Not Accepting / Co-Hosted by Skaia]

QXPrjQp.png

"Suppose that's a decent move. Unfortunately for you Bellsprout doesn't have to be fast to fight. Now, Bellsprout, vine whip, straight line!"

The vine shot sneakily from Bellsprout's body, shooting right through the rings of static that Mareep had made.  Instead of making contact with Bellsprout's body, the Mareep instead tackled head first into the attack, getting whipped in the face, causing him to veer off course and miss his target.  Oswald smiled at the fact that the Thunder Wave would eventually hit.  The trade off of landing paralysis on an opponent would outweigh getting hit by a singular vine whip.  

"That was a pretty straightforward strategy, but you're gonna need a lot more than that if you're gonna have a chance of beating my partner and I."  Archie turned to face the Bellsprout he had missed, and baa'd in agreement.  "If we can't get up close without getting whipped, we'll keep you at a distance instead!  Archie, light him up with a Thundershock!"  Archie's fur buzzed, as it gathered enough static to shoot the small bolt of electricity at their opponent.  

ZA2NV7M.png

"Is that geodude all you've got, or can you keep fighting?"

"Ha, of course not! You haven't even met my ace yet! This guy won't lose to anyone! C'mon, go Machop!" Kenta sent out his next Pokeball to reveal the humanoid Fighting type Pokemon. The Machop, as soon as he saw Kanon, started to flex as if showing off. Kenta laughed at his Pokemon's antics. "C'mon man, you can show how strong you are by fighting, go on, Karate Chop!"

The Machop went directly from flexing to diving towards Bubbles and aiming a powerful downward chop at the Poliwag.

---

"If we can't get up close without getting whipped, we'll keep you at a distance instead!  Archie, light him up with a Thundershock!" 

"Tch, don't you know anything about typing?" Chad said, crossing his arms and smirking condescendingly at Oswald. "Bellsprout you can take that, just use another Growth." As Chad said the electric attack hit Bellsprout and, while it was a direct hit, didn't seem to affect the Grass-type much. "Now, Vine Whip again. Sorry dude this is gonna hurt." At least it would, if it had got off. However as the Bellsprout prepared to attack its body seized up in paralyses.

"Damn, rotten luck. Shake it off Bellsprout you only need a couple hits off, he can't out damage you!"

---

"Horn Attack." Naomi said to Princess, confident that the Rhyhorn was able to get the attack off. Unfortunately she was still struggling with the smoke and her attack went wide without even the trainer having to say anything. At another simple command the Horsea shot out more bubbles at Princess and the Rhyhorn seemed to struggle to stay up.

Naomi frowned. This wasn't going well. She vaguely remembered that she was supposed to try harder. But what was she supposed to do?

She heard the girl call out for a third Bubble attack and then it hit her. "Towards the bubbles, Horn Attack."

Princess grunted and waited for a moment. As she heard the bubbles coming out of the Horsea she lunged in that direction and slammed her horn into the smaller Pokemon.

The Rhyhorn was still peppered with the Bubble attack and, having taking several strong hits, simply dropped down.

"Dang." Naomi said. "Well, you hit it, good job Princess." She said and returned the Pokemon. "Guess it's up t'you." Then sent out her last Pokemon, the Hoppip, Knight.

"Should have switched right away." Fuyumi said. And gave a slight sigh at Naomi's confused look.

Spoiler

Chad: Bellsprout, Level 9. Ability: ??? Moves: Growth, Vine Whip

Kenta: Geodude, KOed
Machop, level 10. Ability: ??? Moves: Karate Chop

Fuyumi: Horsea, level 10. Ability: ??? Moves: Smokescreen, Bubble

ZrjobFh.png
Poké: 700

"Ha, of course not! You haven't even met my ace yet! This guy won't lose to anyone! C'mon, go Machop! C'mon man, you can show how strong you are by fighting, go on, Karate Chop!"

Kenta's second pokemon - his "ace" - machop. Sending out his ace second probably meant that was it, right? That meant if nothing else that Kanon had numbers on her side. As Kenta's Machop dived toward and subsequently chopped at Bubbles, Kanon couldn't help but wince at the sight. That was definitely a hit, and just as the reflective barrier Ursula had set up disappeared, too. Bubbles was knocked squarely onto his rear, but seemed able to keep going. The Poliwag stood back up shakily, eliciting a look of mixed approval and concern from Kanon.

"Don't let up! Keep using your Water Gun!"

That was the best way to approach this, right? Bubbles wasn't looking good, and while she didn't like seeing her pokemon get hurt, the best way to win was to trust in them until they couldn't go on, right? At her command, Bubbles spewed out another stream of water at Kenta's machop.

OCO5E4E.png

The trio walked out of the Pokemon Center, their Pokemon fully healed. Jacklyn seemed interested in a place called The Skrelp Flambe. It sounded exceptionally fancy, something that Ivan was a bit worried about. He had never been to any sort of fancy restaurant - even with his backgrounds, such places were uncommon back at Alola. He wasn't even really sure he could afford it, taking a look at his wallet. "Sounds expensive." Ivan remarked dryly, as Jacklyn frowned.

"I should probably be fine with just carrots but uh...what do your guys's pokemon eat?" 

"Well..." He said, taking out all three of his Pokeballs. "This one eats mostly berries and plants." He said, placing Po's Pokeball back on his belt. "This one... I think can eat whatever. Meat, seeds, fruit, plants... you get the point." He remarked, doing the same thing he did to Po's Pokemon with Don's. When he got to Root's Pokeball, however, his faced changed to one of confusion. "...I don't actually know what Bellsprout eat..." He muttered to himself, although the others would be able to hear him. He put away the last Pokeball. "She should be able to eat the Pokemon Food you find at the store." He said, not actually sure if she could. He made a mental note to check out his Pokemon's diet.

QXPrjQp.png

"Tch, don't you know anything about typing?" Chad chastised him, throwing a snide look in to put the cherry on top. "Bellsprout you can take that, just use another Growth." As Chad said the electric attack hit Bellsprout and, while it was a direct hit, didn't seem to affect the Grass-type much. "Now, Vine Whip again. Sorry dude this is gonna hurt." Oswald prepared to give Archie the order to brace for the attack, but it never came.  Bellsprout had succumb to the paralysis that was inflicted on it.

"Damn, rotten luck. Shake it off Bellsprout you only need a couple hits off, he can't out damage you!"

Oswald rolled his arm a bit and smiled.

"All according to plan!  Right Archie?"  His pokemon baa'd in agreement.  Oswald laughed.  He knew he had gotten a bit lucky, but he had used Thunder Wave for this chance!  "Now, let's seize on this opportunity!  Shut this case down with a tackle!  And once you knock him away, send him to the slammer with another Thundershock!"  

a8cPQwE.png

Jacklyn listened as both of her adventuring partners told her of their pokemon's diets. The girl's face lit up as Belle mentioned she got a new pokemon recently, giving the girl a thumbs up, but she soon went back to furrowing her brow. The girl didn't really know what to do about  both a Bellsprout and Rattata. As far as she knew Bellsprout was just a plant...so maybe it just needed lots of sunlight? And Rattata...the girl had definitely seen enough rats in her life but she never really cared about what their particular diet was. Scraps? That didn't sound very nice, though, so she instead kept pondering it. Scratching her head the girl said, "well, we can figure that out later. I'm sure there's a shop that we can find for that stuff. For now! Onwards!"

The girl pointed dramatically to the streets, as she began to march down them in order to find where it was next best to go on their adventure. The girl didn't really know where the restaurant she was looking for was, though it only took a bit of a can do attitude and a lot of aimless wandering before they finally found their destination. The Skrelp Flambe. The restaurant itself didn't look all that different from the other establishments around it, with the main reason distinguishing factor being the glowing red sign that read "Skrelp Flambe" and the glowing sign of a Skrelp on fire. The build was at the end of the road, and thus had outdoor seating and clear view of the ocean from said seating. Seeing the people outside, Ivan and Belle would likely be relieved as the patrons didn't seem to be in any sort of formal attire. 

Jacklyn, taking the lead had walked inside ahead of the two, and taking almost no time at all promptly came out with a member of the restaurant's staff. The staff member had lead the group to their table, and once seated, the group was presented with menus. Opening hers up, Jacklyn marveled at the unique dishes this restaurant had. Kelp. Seared Kelp. Boiled Kelp. Roasted Kelp. Grilled Kelp. Fried Kelp. Deep Fried Kelp. Double Deep Fried Deluxe Kelp. The Kelp Flambe. Similarly, the drinks on the menu were Kelp Juice and Kelp Water. 

"Oooh, i don't think I've ever had anything like this before." Jacklyn did not seem to at all have an issue with the menu she was looking at. Putting down the menu though, the girl said, "oh, come to think of it. We've been together for awhile now, but this is the first time we sat down and ate like this." Pumping her fist into the air, drawing attention to herself from the other customers she let out a, "woohoo!" Looking at her bag, the girl then dug through it for her camera, and with no prompting simply took a picture of her two teammates. 

Edited by Skaia

ZA2NV7M.png

"Ha, jokes on you, Machop isn't weak to water, go and Karate Chop it, buddy!" The Machop flexed one arm confidently as the Poliwag's Water Gun struck him in the chest. Pushing through the water the small Fighting type swung his other arm down to delivery a powerful chop down onto Bubble's head. Striking it in the perfect spot to inflict a large amount of damage. "See that? That's what real strength is all about! Wahooo!" Kenta cheered, pumping one fist, and his Machop followed suit. "Don't stop there, hit em again!"

---

"Now, let's seize on this opportunity!  Shut this case down with a tackle!  And once you knock him away, send him to the slammer with another Thundershock!"  

Chad shook his head and shrugged, giving a condescending smirk. "Luck isn't a strategy. Strategy is knowing how to win without needing luck! Growth again!"

As Archie ran towards the Bellsprout it once more increased its power. Then waited. The Bellsprout didn't try and get out of the way as Archie's Tackle knocked it into the air. "Now, Vine Whip, right through the Thundershock!"

The Bellsprout launched a vine straight forward. When it made contact with the electricity it weakened the jolt that, by the time it traveled through the vine and to the Bellsprout, it would only be a mildly painful tingle. The attack continued on towards Archie as the Bellsprout fell back to the ground. Looking rather beat up but still standing. Its face wasn't the most expressive but there was a determined energy about it.

---

The last of the group's fights was going...rather unusually.

Fuyumi kept telling her Horsea to launch Smokescreen, while Naomi made sure Knight continuously used Absorb. The smoke surrounding Knight got so thick that he was having trouble even seeing his own trainer.

"Whatcha doin tha'fer?" Naomi muttered at Fuyumi, confused why the girl wasn't attacking.

"Horsea's water attack won't do much. Not enough to mitigate Absorb. Best strategy is to lower its accuracy as much as I can for....this."

Finally Knight managed to land a decisive Absorb attack, and the Horsea went down. Not before leaving Knight with sharply lowered accuracy however.

"This cinches my victory, go, Abra."

Fuyumi casually tossed out her second Pokemon. The Abra sat on the ground as it appeared and Knight tried to rush towards it. However the smoke caused the Pokemon to veer off to the side instead.

"Ah...Knight, right, they're right.....over there." Naomi said, pointing uselessly at the Abra.

Spoiler

Machop, level 10. Ability: ??? Moves: Karate Chop

Fuyumi: Horsea, KOed
Abra, level 10. Ability: Moves: ???

So, if Bellsprout's attack lands, Archie will be at around 1/4 health, while Bellsprout is a bit over 1/2 health
Machop is also above half, while Bubbles is under 1/4.

Belle watched as Ivan took out his Poké Balls with some jealousy. How does he tell them apart? she wondered. As far as she could tell, they weren't marked. Maybe by the arrangement on his belt? Yes, that's a good idea. She glanced down. Well, it would be if I had a belt too. Maybe she should get one? Except she wasn't a huge fan of them. She didn't like having anything around her waist. It didn't help that she was a little...ahem, overweight. The girl pinched her side. But if I keep being forced to walk around like this...before long my proud stomach will peter out into nothingness. I'll turn into a stick and blow away with the wind. She sighed dramatically.

By now, Ivan was currently talking about another Pokémon he had. She didn't know that he had another one, but from what he was saying, it was a Bellsprout? She didn't know much about those, except some random things she had learned on the internet. Like them being really, really flexible. Or that one internet meme with a random guy owning a Victreebel always ending up being swallowed whole by it whenever sending it out of its Poké Ball. Which, according to some internet nerd, was really dangerous because of the potent acid in the grass type's pitcher cavity. That guy had to have nine lives or something.

Anyway, that was beside the point. She had no clue what a Bellsprout would eat. But if it was anything like its evolution... "Maybe it likes eating human flesh?" she wondered.

Scratching her head Jacklyn said, "well, we can figure that out later. I'm sure there's a shop that we can find for that stuff. For now! Onwards!"

It took them a little bit, but they did eventually make their way to Skrelp Flambe. Or was it Flambé? Confused, the bluenette followed the others in, dragging her feet some. She really hoped this wasn't expensive. At least the atmosphere didn't seem expensive, but appearances could be deceiving. Preparing her stomach...and wallet, the girl sat at the table they were led to.

"Oooh, i don't think I've ever had anything like this before." Jacklyn had already opened up her menu. Putting down the menu though, the girl said, "oh, come to think of it. We've been together for awhile now, but this is the first time we sat down and ate like this."

Curious to see what exactly was so great about the food here, Belle opened her own menu. And was promptly horrified. "Wha--?" she shook her head. "This menu has nothing but kelp on it!" She held her head. "Where're the potato chips? The yakitori? Heck, I'd even go for some hondewpan or a candy bar right now..." The girl flipped through the menu. "I hope they at least have some soda."

Belle was interrupted from her grumblings when Jacklyn took a picture of them, the flash temporarily blinding the shorter girl. "Hey," she complained. "What're you doing?" Her mood had gone down drastically after seeing the menu. Not that she was expecting them to have all her favorite snacks, but kelp? Really? Still...it wasn't too bad salted. But it didn't look like that was an option here. She sighed. "I think I'll get the Fried Kelp. Either that or the Deep Fried Kelp. Maybe even the Double Deep Fried Deluxe Kelp." With any luck the breading would be so thick that she wouldn't be able to taste the actual kelp.

"And," the blue-haired girl said, glancing at Jacklyn. "Is this really something we need to celebrate?" She didn't know much about how three-dimensional people acted, but she was fairly sure they didn't take pictures of every single minor event. At least, I hope not. Or this is going to be a long journey. She looked at Ivan. Maybe he had an answer for her that wasn't "yes, of course!"

Edited by Sethera

ZrjobFh.png

"Ha, jokes on you, Machop isn't weak to water, go and Karate Chop it, buddy!"

A critical hit! Kanon couldn't help but wince at the sight of that blow landing. Bubbles was clearly on his last leg here.

"See that? That's what real strength is all about! Wahooo! Don't stop there, hit em again!"

"Don't give up yet! One more Water Gun!" The poliwag put out the effort to spit out one last jet of water at Kenta's machop, before the opposing pokemon - powering through it once again - charged through and chopped at Bubbles again, just as the barrier Ursula had put up earlier went down. The blow landed, knocking the poliwag down and out. "You gave it your best." Kanon pulled out a pair of poke balls, returning Bubbles to one of them, before opening the other one to release the inkay that she'd started this battle with. This was a fight between the machop and Ursula now.

"Get a Reflect up, ASAP!"

QXPrjQp.png

"Luck isn't a strategy. Strategy is knowing how to win without needing luck! Growth again!"  As Archie ran towards the Bellsprout it once more increased its power. Then waited. The Bellsprout didn't try and get out of the way as Archie's Tackle knocked it into the air. "Now, Vine Whip, right through the Thundershock!"

"What?!"  Oswald watched in disbelief, as in mid-flight Bellsprout managed to shoot a vine whip directly into the path of Archie's attack, using it's veggie extension as some sort of lightning rod.  It didn't even seem to phase the Plant-Type, as his look about him made him seem confident.  Oswald wasn't getting anywhere like this, and Archie looked exhausted.  He grit his teeth, before making his mind up.  "Return, Archie!"  He commanded, returning his partner to it's ball, only to swap it with another on his hip.  "Let's get some aerial support!  Go, Icarus!"  The bird Pokemon erupted from his ball with a cry.  "Start this off with a vicious Growl!  Follow it up with a dive bomb Quick Attack!" 

The Starly did just that, as it let out the most vicious chirp it could.  As it sang through the air, it charged the Bellsprout with speed, planning to give the Bellsprout a rough landing.  

ZA2NV7M.png

"Get a Reflect up, ASAP!"

"Ha, nice try, no barrier can stop Machop's strength, keep up the attacks buddy, Karate Chop!" The Machop went in for yet another Karate Chop on the Inkay. The Reflect weakening the damage. Though it was clear the Machop was well trained with the power behind the attack despite this.

Fuyumi's voice could barely be heard above the din of the battle but Kenta seemed to take note of it. "Focus." She said, her tone slightly frustrated.

"Wha...Oh yeah, Ha, Focus Energy Machop! Thanks Fuyumi I forgot he had that! Haha!"

---

"Let's get some aerial support!  Go, Icarus! Start this off with a vicious Growl!  Follow it up with a dive bomb Quick Attack!" 

Chad nodded slowly, watching as the Bellsprout got hit by a sudden Quick Attack. "Good choice I guess. I hate to waste the boosts but no other option, two can play at that game, return!" Bellsprout, weakened and paralyzed, came back to the ball. Chad thought for a moment, hand hovering over two other Pokeballs at his side, before grabbing one and tossing it out.

"Ducklett, use Water Gun, keep that Starly at a distance!"

The Water/Flying type emerged from its ball, tilting its head to the side in a rather confused manner, before flapping itself into the air and launching water out at Icarus. Striking the other Flying type with a jet of liquid. Chad adjusted his glasses again and grinned, seemingly waiting for something before making his next move.

---

"Go on Knight, they're right there, bash em one." Naomi said. Not even bothering calling out an actual attack. Though it was likely that even had she used the Hoppip's one attacking move, Absorb, it wouldn't do much to the Abra compared to even a non-attack move charge.

Fuyumi sighed. "I thought you might put up some fight at least." She said, sounding disappointed. "Teleport." Though Knight was struggling to hit the Abra in the first place it was made even harder as the Abra suddenly appeared several feet behind Knight. "Hidden Power."

The Pokemon let out a blast of energy, which was shaped as a large snowflake, which raced along the air and struck Knight from behind. The Hoppip let out a surprised cry as it dropped to the ground, taken out in one hit.

"Whoa." Naomi muttered, returning Knight. "You're strong."

Fuyumi hesitated but shook her head. "Had advantage. Type matchup."

Naomi blinked and tilted her head, clearly not getting it. "Huh?"

Spoiler

Ducklett, level 9. Ability: ??? Moves: Water Gun

Note: If Icarus goes in to attack right away Chad will use Wing Attack. Otherwise, Water Gun again.

Machop, level 10. Ability: ??? Moves: Karate Chop, Focus Energy

Note: Kenta will have Machop go in with another, Focus Energy'd, Karate Chop

Fuyumi: Horsea, KOed
Abra, level 10. Ability: Moves: Teleport, Hidden Power (Ice)

Note: Naomi lost, has to pay up 125 Pokedollars but Knight gains a level.

OCO5E4E.png

They eventually got to the restaurant and, shorty after, they were seated at a table. Taking a glance at the menu, he noticed that almost everything on the menu was kelp. Even the drinks were kelp, which was surprising. He didn't mind at all, although the price seemed a bit high for what they were offering. He let out a reluctant sigh. "At least it's healthy." He muttered, deciding which type of kelp he was going to order.

He shifted his glance towards Belle, who seemed to be worked up about the limited menu. She seemed to want to eat a bunch of chips and snacks instead, causing Ivan to shake his head. "You can't just eat junk food all the time ya know." He said, turning his head towards the girl. "It's not good for the body." As he said this, he was suddenly blinded by a flashing light. He turned towards where it came from, greeted by a blurry image of Jacklyn holding a camera in her hands.

He grit his teeth. "If yer gonna take pictures like that, can ya at least turn off the flash?" He said with a light tone of irritation. He heard Belle complain, who seemed irritated as well. "I'm with her on this one." He said, pointing a thumb towards Belle. "We really don't need to be celebrating every little thing we do." He let out a sigh, turning back to the menu. "Still, it's nice to sit down and relax from time to time with f- with you guys."  He said, seemingly ignoring his slight slip up. "...hmmm, Grilled Kelp sounds kinda intersetin."

ZrjobFh.png

"Ha, nice try, no barrier can stop Machop's strength, keep up the attacks buddy, Karate Chop!"

"Focus."

"Wha...Oh yeah, Ha, Focus Energy Machop! Thanks Fuyumi I forgot he had that! Haha!"

While the machop stood there, focusing his energy (whatever that meant), Kanon let out the attack order of her own. "He's leaving himself wide open! Start pecking at him!" With a vindictive chirp, Ursula hopped forward, throwing its head back only to swing it forward at the machop, pecking away with its little beak. Between Ursula's own attacks and the barrier she'd set up to mitigate Kenta's attacks, Kanon was feeling pretty confident about the outcome of this fight. While the two went at it, Kanon directed her attention up to the trainer himself. He was definitely a giant meathead.

Losing to someone like that would make Kanon look bad.

"Why are you so interested in this region, by the way?" Kanon asked.

a8cPQwE.png

Jacklyn pouted as the two made their protests against her taking the picture. Looking at them she said, "listen. We're on an adventure! And it's fine to just take in the scenery and keep going along, but taking pictures is important! After all, when an adventure is done, you want to remember everything you did no matter how small! So pictures of all things are important!" Looking to the side, and hiding her camera under the table, the girl muttered, "by I'll keep the flash off." 

Looking at the menu herself, the girl began to try and ponder what it was that she wanted. As she did, the waiter had come over,  a young adult male devoid of any feature that made him stand out bar his uniform. The uniform itself seemed to be a plain white t-shirt and khakis, with an apron that had a Skrelp embroidered onto it that was on fire. While Jacklyn was unsure if the fire was actually real or not, she could feel real heat coming from the man's presence, though he didn't seem to pay any mind to it. "So, what can I get for you all tonight?"

Looking at the menu, the girl said, "well, I guess I'll just get the Kelp Flambe and some...Kelp Water?" 

"Certainly!" With a peppy smile, the boy looked to the others and took their order as well. When all was said and done, he closed his notebook and said, "got it all. I'll be right back with your orders, so just hang tight!"

As he left, the girl was still befuddled by the man, she looked to the others. "Anyway, the point is we're supposed to keep track of all of our memories. But," eagerly she looked to the others saying, "it's also important to have goals and sights you want to go see. So when you get there it's all the more impressive. Like a big "uwaaaah" moment!" Pulling out the map of the region the girl placed it on the table saying, "how about we make a wishlist of things to do or see?"

QXPrjQp.png

"Good choice I guess. I hate to waste the boosts but no other option, two can play at that game, return!" The boy returned the paralyzed Pokemon to it's ball, only to choose from another and throw it onto the field.  It let loose a Ducklet, a pokemon Oswald wasn't very familiar with.  It looked goofy, but he wasn't able to judge a book by it's cover.  This battle was a tough one, and it was getting tougher by the minute.  "Ducklett, use Water Gun, keep that Starly at a distance!"  Taking advantage of Oswald's confusion, a jet of water was able to land it's mark and hit Icarus.  This thing was obviously a water and flying type Pokemon, but Archie was beat.  He had no choice if he was to get the upper hand in this battle.  Oswald returned Icarus to his ball, only to release his Mareep once more. 

"Now this is what I call a type advantage!  Archie, let's use Thundershock for real this time!  Let that Ducklett have it!"  With a weak, but still fierce, cry, Archie's wool built up electricity once more to let loose at the opponent.  "It's all or nothing now!"  

ZA2NV7M.png

Kenta nor the Machop seemed all to worried about the Peck attack. Even as the Machop got beaten down, clearly low health, neither of them gave in. In fact they just seemed more determined than ever to win this fight. And as Kenta called for another Karate Chop the Machop dove into the air and brought the hand down and managed to bypass the reflect and land a critical strike right to the forehead of the Inkay.

"Why are you so interested in this region, by the way?"

"What? Huh? Whatcha asking me that for? It's uhh...you know, that." Kenta said, scratching his cheek. "It's a whole new world we live in ya know. It's a whole new way to see. A whole new place, with a brand new attitude....right, Chad? That's what you said right?"

Off to the side Chad rolled his eyes. "You're getting confused with that stupid idol, I never said anything like that."

"Oh yeah!....Sorry, I don't really know, I just thought it'd be fun?"

-----

"Tsk, dammit Kenta..." Chad muttered as Oswald made his swap. "Didn't think he'd pull a double so quick." The Ducklett took the majorly effective move and fell to the ground. Though it wasn't out quite yet. "I could return but...no, no time for that. Don't want to take a hit going in. Ducklett, Wing Attack!" Chad called out.

The Water bird took back up to the air and started to fly in Archie's direction. Wings glowing with energy. Before reaching the Mareep, and to avoid any attack, Chad called for the Ducklett to pull up. And, once it reached its peak, "Now Water Gun!" the Ducklett shot out a jet of water at the sheep Pokemon.

"Gotta do as much damage as you can before you go down, keep it up!" Chad ordered the Ducklett.

---

Naomi, without much to do, decided to flop to the side and rest her head on the grass nearby. She watched the others without really seeing them. Gazing off into the distance. Though, while it seemed she was up to her usual, she was actually thinking. She had wanted to win that fight. It was a weird feeling. And it didn't help her win. But...she had the strangest feeling that she was starting to understand something.

Fuyumi for her part moved with elegance and purpose. Putting herself behind Chad as she watched the fight going on like a hawk. Observing Archie and the Ducklett's every move. And even turning her cold gaze to Oswald himself as he called out moves.

Spoiler

Ducklett, level 9. Ability: ??? Moves: Water Gun, Wing Attack

Note: Ducklett won't be able to take one more hit, but they will continuously use Water Gun and try and avoid Archie's attacks. Archie's health is dipping to red.

Machop, level 10. Ability: ??? Moves: Karate Chop, Focus Energy

Note: Ursula would be around half health, but Machop has less than that.

"You can't just eat junk food all the time ya know." Ivan shook his head to the side.

"Just watch me," Belle responded heatedly. "Junk food is my life. I am the king, or I guess queen, of junk food. And," she turned her head to stare at him. "It's not junk if it's good." Satisfied that she had properly defended the honor of the almighty junk food, the girl leaned back in her chair, still a little crabby from seeing the limited menu.

Though despite Ivan's...sacrilegious views on junk food, he at least agreed with her on the camera. "I'm with her on this one. We really don't need to be celebrating every little thing we do." He let out a sigh, turning back to the menu. "Still, it's nice to sit down and relax from time to time with f- with you guys."

"Hmm?" the girl glanced at the brunette. He had been about to say something else, right? Was it freaks? Nah, nobody liked to relax with freaks, though she was sure that she counted as one. And probably Jacklyn too. She didn't know of any other person who went around taking pictures of everything and talking about adventure all the time. Honestly, Ivan was probably the most normal of the three of them.

Oh wait, he was about to say food, wasn't he? But then he quickly changed it to "you guys" because he didn't want us to feel bad that he liked food more than us. She nodded confidently. "It's fine to be honest," she told the boy. "When you're hungry, food is the most important thing, after all." Normally, Belle wouldn't bother reassuring another person like this, but Ivan had taken her side earlier, so she felt a little generous.

Meanwhile, Jacklyn was pouting from the earlier scolding, "listen. We're on an adventure! And it's fine to just take in the scenery and keep going along, but taking pictures is important! After all, when an adventure is done, you want to remember everything you did no matter how small! So pictures of all things are important!"

"Is that so?" Belle wondered. "Is it really that important, though?"

Soon afterward, a waiter came by to take their order. While Jacklyn ordered the Kelp Flambe...or Flambé with Kelp Water, Belle decided to go with the Double Deep Fried Deluxe Kelp with a side order of Kelp Soda with extra sugar. For some reason though, Jacklyn kept staring at the boy.

The bluenette raised an eyebrow. Does she...like him? Wow, that was fast. She glanced at the waiter herself, but couldn't really see anything good about him. Then again, she hadn't yet reached the age where she thought boys were cute. Or at least she didn't think she had reached it. Maybe Jacklyn was an early bloomer, or she was just late? Shaking her head, Belle decided to leave it alone. Though if Jacklyn wanted to tip him extra or put in her phone number on the receipt like she remembered seeing in some cheesy anime, she wouldn't put up a fuss.

After he left, Jacklyn turned to the others. "Anyway, the point is we're supposed to keep track of all of our memories. But," eagerly she looked to the others saying, "it's also important to have goals and sights you want to go see. So when you get there it's all the more impressive. Like a big "uwaaaah" moment!" Pulling out the map of the region the girl placed it on the table saying, "how about we make a wishlist of things to do or see?"

Jacklyn's words had completely displaced Belle's thoughts on the girl's prospective crush. "Uwaaaah moment?" she glanced at Ivan. "So, uhh, when we feel like going 'uwaaaah?'" She shook her head. "I don't think...I'll be feeling that way anytime soon. Or ever," she muttered the last couple words under her breath. "As for a wishlist, uhh…" she scratched her head, "...well I just want to make it to the end of this journey so I can go home. Or watch the fourth season to My Trainer Academia. Or play that new game coming out next month, Humamon: Spoon and Dish." She crossed her arms. "But I don't think I'll be able to do that anytime soon."

Edited by Sethera

QXPrjQp.png

"Ducklett, Wing Attack!" Chad called out. The Water bird took back up to the air and started to fly in Archie's direction. Wings glowing with energy. Oswald went to command Archie to use a Thundershock once more, but the Ducklett was commanded to pull up right before it was in range. And, once it reached its peak, "Now Water Gun!" the Ducklett shot out a jet of water at the sheep Pokemon.  "Gotta do as much damage as you can before you go down, keep it up!"

With the Ducklett being so high in the air, it would be hard to reach him with an attack without the little bird dodging it.  Oswald tried to scramble a plan together, but Archie was already being pelted with water gun.  

"Archie!  Let's start an electric pursuit!  Get out of the way with Tackle!"  Archie managed to step out of the stream of water, tired but persistent, as he charged towards Chad, only to circle around back towards Oswald.  "Give him no where to run!  Thundershock three times!"  Archie's wool let out three bolts of electricity, all from different angles at Ducklett, only to trip and fall, and be doused with water once again.  After tumbling, it was clear Archie couldn't battle anymore.  Oswald walked up to Archie, only to pet his fluffy forehead, returning him to his ball.  He let out Icarus once more who flapped his wings vigorously.  

"We still haven't won yet!  We're still in hot pursuit of this victory!"  

ZrjobFh.png

"What? Huh? Whatcha asking me that for? It's uhh...you know, that. It's a whole new world we live in ya know. It's a whole new way to see. A whole new place, with a brand new attitude....right, Chad? That's what you said right?"

"You're getting confused with that stupid idol, I never said anything like that."

"Oh yeah!....Sorry, I don't really know, I just thought it'd be fun?"

The critical hit from Kenta's pokemon - which seemed to bypass Ursula's barrier - looked painful. But surely the inkay could prevail in an exchange of blows like this. If only it were an exchange of wits instead. That seemed like something Kenta wouldn't be very well prepared for. "Is that it? Can't say I'm against that sort of reason, but..." She was pretty into the first one, but it seemed like that was fake. Or something. Oh well.

In any case, this was a battle Kanon was here to win now. "Don't let up! Keep Pecking!" Not that Ursula could do much else.

ZA2NV7M.png

Chad smirked as he saw Archie go down. He looked towards his Ducklett, surprised to see it standing on the ground instead of flying. He was about to give the Pokemon its next order when the duck Pokemon fell forward with its face smacking the ground, unconscious. "Well, did about as good as I could hope." Chad muttered as he returned the Pokemon.

Looking at the bird Pokemon Oswald had sent out next Chad nodded to himself. "No use sending in Bellsprout against that. Guess it's all up to you for now." He then sent out his final Pokemon.

Which turned out to be a male Nidoran.

The Pokemon emerged looking much more confident and serious than the others that had been sent out. It watched Icarus warily with its nose twitching. "Focus Energy, Nidoran, and then go in with a Peck!" A brief aura flared up around the Nidoran and then it charged forward at Icarus, its horn glowing and narrowing to a sharper point as it jumped to ram into Icarus.

"Is that it? Can't say I'm against that sort of reason, but..."

"Well why not? Do ya gotta have more reason to do things? I thought that girls just wanted to have fun...wait, that was a different singer....Ahh, no more thinking, back to the fighting!"

Machop and Ursula exchanged a flurry of blows. Or rather it would be a flurry if not for Machop's low health. As it stood, after the incredibly damaging Karate Chop, the Machop was only able to land one, weaker, attack on the Inkay before, swaying in place for a moment, toppling over.

Kenta's hands flew to his head and he stared in shock. "I lost! Whoa, how'd that little thing do that to my Machop, what's with that? Ahh come on, Fuyumi is pulling ahead of me!"

"I've been ahead." Fuyumi noted.

"More ahead!" Kenta lamented. "Well, guess that's that, good work Machop. And good work, uh, miss." He added to Kanon.

Spoiler

Ducklett, KOed
Nidoran, Level 10. Ability: Rivalry. Moves: Focus Energy, Peck

Ursula has gained two levels and Kanon has gained 300 Pokedollars.

OCO5E4E.png

Ivan let out a low chuckle as Jacklyn went on to talk about the importance of adventure. He didn't think she'd oblige, at least not this easily, although she promised to at least keep the flash off. He glanced over to Belle, who had seemed to notice his slip up. "It's fine to be honest," He raised his eye brow. "When you're hungry, food is the most important thing, after all." He wasn't entirely sure what she had thought he meant to say, but whatever her guess was, it was wrong. He simple chuckled lightly.

"Thanks." He said dryly, as the waiter came by. "I'll take some Grilled Kelp and some Kelp Water." He said, crossing his arms as he turned back towards the group. Jacklyn was still on this cataloging thing, talking about a big 'uwaaah' moment. She placed the map of the region on the table, asking the group if they had any wishlists. He glanced over to Belle. "I'm sure we'll figure out when to say 'uwaah'" He said, the last part rather dryly. He frowned slightly at her last comment.

"A wishlist isn't a bad idea." He said, turning back to Jacklyn. He knew exactly what he wanted to do - prove all those bastards back at home wrong, that he could and would become a strong trainer. "I only have one goal - to be the strongest there is." He said, his gaze becoming intense. "I have my eye on the prize. I'm going to become Champion." He said fiercely, before turning to Belle.

Her answer seemed to have killed the fire that had ignited in his soul just then. It was as he assumed earlier - she didn't seem to want to be here. Ivan simply nodded his head. "Well, if you really want to go back home so badly..." He said, crossing his arms again. "...why'd ya come here in the first place?" His face turned into a scowl, one that was nastier than he had wanted. "It's not like you didn't have a choice. You signed up for this, after all."

Ivan didn't seem to appreciate Belle's comfort, but that was fine. Maybe he didn't want to admit that he was looking forward to eating? "I'm sure we'll figure out when to say 'uwaah'" he commented, frowning slightly. "A wishlist isn't a bad idea." He said, turning back to Jacklyn. "I only have one goal - to be the strongest there is." He said, his gaze becoming intense. "I have my eye on the prize. I'm going to become Champion." He said fiercely.

Belle should have known that he was one of those ones--an avid Pokémon trainer. Just because he wasn't as loud about it as Jacklyn was didn't make him any less passionate about him. The girl yawned. Why did everybody have to be so gung ho about tiring stuff like this? She really couldn't understand it.

The boy then turned to her. "Well, if you really want to go back home so badly..." He said, crossing his arms again. "...why'd ya come here in the first place?" His face contorted into a nasty scowl. "It's not like you didn't have a choice. You signed up for this, after all."

"Yeah, but I didn't know what I was signing up for," the blue-haired girl muttered, taking the chance to air her grievances. "I was told it was a contest similar to a drawing, where you signed your name and had the opportunity to get a prize. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it'd be...like this," she sighed. "And even if I wanna go back home...I doubt I'd be welcomed without having done anything. So I'm just hoping I make enough money to make this...somewhat worthwhile."

Belle knew that it wasn't nearly as exciting a story as either Jacklyn or Ivan's had to be, but really, she wasn't an exciting person. Never was, never would be. She didn't have aspirations to be the Champion or the best trainer, just to get enough money and hopefully get to go home at the end of all of this. "If I get rich by the end of this, I'll be able to buy my own house...and never have to face the real world again." She started to laugh, her expression slightly sinister.

Edited by Sethera

QXPrjQp.png

"Well, did about as good as I could hope." The boy muttered as he returned the Pokemon. 

"He did a great job."  Oswald nodded his head, smiling as he commended his opponent's effort. 

Looking at the bird Pokemon Oswald had sent out next Chad nodded to himself. 

"No use sending in Bellsprout against that. Guess it's all up to you for now." He tossed his last ball into the air, revealing a Nidoran, another pokemon he was rather more familiar with.  Packs of them roamed near Goldenrod.  The Pokemon emerged looking much more confident and serious than the others that had been sent out. It watched Icarus warily with its nose twitching. "Focus Energy, Nidoran, and then go in with a Peck!"  The Nidoran started to make it's way towards Starly.  He grit his teeth, as he was already on the defensive.

"Get out of range, Icarus!  Take to the sky for now!"  The Starly did just that, taking off the ground with a strong flap of it's wings.  Oswald scratched his chin, as Icarus circled overhead waiting for a command.  All of Icarus' attacks would get into peck range, and with that focused energy of Nidoran's any attack could sting.  "Start off with an audible assault!  Growl Ic!"  The small bird chirped a mighty chirp that would stagger any Pokemon.  "Now, let's go in for a Quick Attack!"  The trade off would be Oswald's best shot at beating this Nidoran.  It seemed like Chad's ace in the hole.  

ZrjobFh.png
Poké: 1000

"Well, guess that's that, good work Machop. And good work, uh, miss."

"Kanon. That's my name," she replied. With her battle won, Kanon pulled out her poke ball, returning Ursula to where it belonged in a cozy (she hoped) little sphere. Nomi had lost her battle, not much to Kanon's own surprise, and Oswald's had yet to conclude. Watching the wrap-up of that should have  proven to be a good way to kill a few moments. Not that she had much choice anyway, short of just ditching the other two and going off on her own adventure. If this were her native Hoenn she'd be all for it, but there was simply no telling what could await her in Korova, and as much as she didn't want to admit it, she'd probably need help for at least some of whatever it was.

And so, she directed her attention to the battle still going on.

ZA2NV7M.png

"Start off with an audible assault!  Growl Ic!"

"Tch, 'ick' is right." Chad muttered as Oswald called out his attack. Nidoran recoiled slightly at the chirping sound.

"But you know." Chad said, crossing his arms in front of his chest and smiling confidently. "There's a reason I decided to buff Nidoran's stats rather than lower yours." Icarus slammed into Nidoran with a Quick Attack, sending the small Pokemon backwards. With Icarus near the ground, however, it made it easier for the Nidoran to attack. "Now, Double Kick!" Chad called out. And his Poison Pokemon charged in and stood up on his hind legs. The first kick, coming from its front legs, didn't seem to hurt much, but the second follow-up struck the Starly on its beak and seemed to cause much more damage than the first. "Lowered attack doesn't matter if I get a critical hit! But might as well play on both sides, Leer!"

------

"Kanon. That's my name,"

"Good to meet you miss Kanon!" Kenta said politely, bowing his head for a moment.

Beside him Fuyumi nudged the larger boy in the ribs and he winced. "Oh, uh, I mean, I'll beat you next time don't think I'm down for good, uh, so there!" He scratched the back of his head and looked over to the girl. "Was that right, Fuyumi?" To which the girl rolled her eyes.

"Your companion is asleep." Fuyumi noted.

Sure enough Naomi was laying, face down, in the grass and seemed to be snoring.

"Gee, think someone should wake her up? Bet she has to go to the Pokemon Center. Specially if she was battling Fuyumi, she's never lost ya know."

Fuyumi merely nodded briefly to indicate the truthful statement.

Spoiler

Ducklett, KOed
Nidoran, Level 10. Ability: Rivalry. Moves: Focus Energy, Peck, Double Kick, Leer