Sign in to follow this  
Summer Darj

[Written] My take on Super Quant support

Super Quant support filling other colors surely has been done by at least a couple of card makers by now, but here is my take on it, anyway. Thoughts, suggestions, ideas, etc. are welcomed.

Super Quantum Yellow Layer
EARTH/Warrior/Effect/Level 2
800/1000
When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Set 1 "Super Quant" Spell/Trap directly from your Deck. If this card is sent to the GY: You can send 1 "Super Quant" Spell/Trap from your Deck or that is banished to the GY. You can only use each effect of "Super Quantum Yellow Layer" once per turn.

Squire stats and Reinforce Truth support, let's go!

Super Quantum Black Layer
DARK/Cyberse/Effect/Level 6
2400/1000
If you control no monsters, or all monsters you control are "Super Quant" monsters, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. When this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can Special Summon 1 "Super Quant" monster from your Deck in Defense Position, except "Super Quantum Black Layer", but it cannot activate its effects. If this card is sent to the GY: You can target 1 "Super Quant" Spell/Trap in your GY; add it to your hand. You can only use each effect of "Super Quantum Black Layer" once per turn.

Monarch stats for extra support.

Super Quantal Mech Beast Landwolf
EARTH/Machine/Xyz/Effect/Rank 2
1000/2500
2 Level 2 monsters
Cannot attack unless it has Xyz Material. Once per turn: You can detach 1 material from this card, then target 1 Spell/Trap in either player's GY; banish it, and if you do, until the end of this turn, its effects are negated, as well as the activated effects and effects on the field of cards with the same original name. This is a Quick Effect if this card has "Super Quantum Yellow Layer" as material. Once per turn: You can attach 1 "Super Quantum" monster from your hand or field to this card as material.

Kind of a "Called by the Grave" for Spell/Traps to complement Grampulse's Spell/Trap control, but unlike the Quick-Play Spell this cannot target monsters and thus it is not as practical for on-spot negation unless a copy of the activated Spell/Trap is already in either player's GY. It can still be used as a D.D.Crow for Spell/Traps, though.

Super Quantal Mech Beast Megalligator
DARK/Machine/Xyz/Effect/Rank 6
2400/2800
2 Level 6 monsters
Cannot attack unless it has Xyz Material. Once per turn: You can detach 1 material from this card, then target 1 monster in either player's GY or that is banished; shuffle it into the Deck, and if you do, its effects are negated, as well as the activated effects and effects on the field of cards with the same original name. This is a Quick Effect if this card has "Super Quantum Black Layer" as material. Once per turn: You can attach 1 "Super Quantum" monster from your hand or field to this card as material.

This one instead is more akin to "Called by the Grave", and intended to complement Lusterrex.

Super Quantal Mechamaterialization
Quick-Play Spell
Activate 1 of these effects:
• Target 1 "Super Quantum" monster in your GY: Special Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Super Quantal Mech Beast" Xyz Monster with the same Attribute as that monster, and if you do, attach the targeted monster and this card to it as Xyz Material (This is treated as an Xyz Summon.)
• Target 1 "Super Quantal Fairy Alphan" in your GY; Special Summon 1 "Super Quantal Mech Beast" Xyz Monster from your Extra Deck, and if you do, attach the targeted monster and this card to it as Xyz Material (This is treated as an Xyz Summon.)
You can only activate 1 "Super Quantal Mechamaterialization" per turn.

The card that practically motivated me to work in a set. I first planned to drop this as a single but then felt like filling the "holes" left by the Super Quants, such as Lusterrex dealing with effects of monsters on board but not being able to negate monster effects anywhere else. Also wanted to give them more monsters to cycle and play the above Spell a bit more.

Edited by Darj

• Super Quantum Yellow Layer: Stat wise, 800/1000, I understand it being an Edea target... But, Edea unfortunately has a built in Extra Deck restriction after using its effect which works against how Super Quantums play which is solely getting into Extra Deck whether they are able to make Great Magnus or not. While the search is nice... I remember a great deal of there Spells and Traps where really situational or unwieldy. Perhaps your Spell is the best thing to search next to the Field Spell. The sending Spell/Trap effect is only good for sending Super Quantal Alphan Spike and any thing that you need your Black Layer to pick up.

• Super Quantum Black Layer: Is a more precise means of pulling out the Super Quantal you want from your Deck compared to Alphan, but unlike Alphan you don't get all those sweet benefits of sending a bunch of Super Quantals to the GY, and it even prevents the other Super Quantal effect from activating. But I suppose it is for the best given if this thing is Summoned by Alphan you can probably get a lot of resources with ease. The Spell/Trap recovery effect does give offer possible fuel for the Field Spell or way to pull out your ideal Quick-Play Spell... So there is potential with that effect.

• Super Quantal Mech Beast Landwolf: Unlike Called by the Grave, it hits Spells and Traps which is interesting. Thing of it is though, is that it is a lot more situational compared to Called by the Grave because Normal/ Quick-Play Spells and Traps stay on the field until they resolve... Whereas all the annoying hand traps that "Called by the Grave" deals with send themselves to GY prior to fully resolving. Even with Grampulse, I could hardly imagine common usage of the effect. It simply relies too much on what your opponent has activated in the past. If anything, I think of it more as an alternative step into making Great Magnus since its Layer counterpart at least has some quality use to the Deck.

• Super Quantal Mech Beast Megalligator: In the situation where your opponent has Ash Blossom prior to you trying to pull off Alphan or this guy's Layer counterpart, that would kind of be a terrible hindsight to deal with. To put it shortly yeah Called by the Grave has a great effect, but I feel this is more likely going to deal with threats in the Graveyard and less likely going to deal with hand traps compared to Called by the Grave. Its effect will vary in match ups. But, again it is a step to making Great Magnus and its Layer counterpart has some good uses as well.

• Super Quantal Mechamaterialization: This thing pretty good, and as I said before it would outshine most of the other Spells and Traps... It offers set-up into making Great Magnus, or it gives you one of their Mechbeast Xyz to retaliate. It does require some GY set-up, but that can be done by discards with the Field Spell or Green Layer, White Layer, or Alphan... So in all it ties well with the Deck.

Overall, I like that you try to incorporate more usage into the Spells and Traps even though most of the Spells and Traps are meh. The Xyz are... okay, but at the very least their Layer counterparts help the Deck nicely and these Xyz are alternative steps to making Magnus. And I can see why it would be hard to balance final distribution effects given the existing Xyz members cover a pretty wide range of utility... So I think the balance there is justified. And the Quick-Play Spell is amazing.

As far as flavor goes... I don't really know if you hit the mark. I am not very familiar with what archetype is referencing... So sorry I have no input to give you there.

Edited by BGMキャノン

@BGMキャノン Thanks for your input. Flavor-wise both are based on the wolf and alligator zords of the Predazord from Power Rangers Wild Force. Indeed, the Squire stats is mainly for fun support, although with Red and Black Layer Super Quants could experiment with some Monarch support, most notably Stormforth in exchange of ED plays, and the support Squires provide could make some things work, IDK.
Didn't fully get your comment on Megalligator, but seems you mean that by the time you Summon it, the opponent should have spent hand traps on something else already, and well, you are right on that. Although it can also prevent or counter other kind of hand traps, and of course it has the GY disruption power.

I'm quite proud of the Quick-Play Spell xD
I didn't elaborate on it, but want to add the intention is to access the Quick effects of the Mech Beasts during the opponent's turn by summoning the appropriate Layer, or play it as a toolbox of sorts through Alphan.