Sign in to follow this  
yui

Star Mech Stellar (IC/PG-16/Closed)

meh.png

OOC Thread

Once upon a time, this would be a voyage the likes of which was only possible in science fiction novels. But this wasn't then. This was now, and now those dreams and fantasies of the past were the reality in front of the Rebounder, and everyone aboard it as the star they grew up around faded into the distance behind them. But at this speed, there was no way they'd get to other stars and planets in any of the crew's lifetime. But that was what mankind's latest innovation was for.

"Activate the stellar drives!"

A deep, booming, humming noise could be heard throughout the Rebounder, as the ship prepared to switch to high gear, and then rocketed off, away from home, and out into places no human had been before. In a very brief instant, short enough that one would miss it if they blinked, the crew could even see the broken wreckage of their predecessor pass by as they shot onward. And a lot of what the crew saw through the windows of the ship was a whole lot of nothing. Much of the crew of 300 was assembled at the bridge. Not that the captain could blame them. This was a first-of-its-kind expedition into the stars, Stars and planets that might have appeared in textbooks once upon a time, but all barren and devoid of any signs of people living on its surface.

However, after some time, something different came into site. A red planet, with a space station in orbit above it. Clearly not one that had been built by human hands. The speakers of the ship emitted some static, and a crackling. And then...

"Hozk!"

"What is that!?"

"A transmission, captain! Source appears to be on the planet ahead."

"Identify yourselves!"

"Ol-kla se Kerkte Vruul, kla-boa Thakto. Sa-kla, neki te ol, ak mok ha."

Whatever that means. The ship's translators not kicking in could only mean one thing. This wasn't any language spoken by humans.

"Captain! Three ships detected coming from the space station! Orders, please!"

"Hmmm..." Hostile ships? Friendly? Serena had no idea. This wasn't the time to make rash decisions, either. "Crew members here on the bridge! What do you make of this situation? I want to proceed in a manner you're all comfortable with, so speak up!" For the first time in this voyage, Serena was willing to leave the fate of the Rebounder to the opinions of her crew, but her own leadership of course.

OOC

Spoiler

We're live boys. We've been met with ships we don't recognize from a people we don't know or understand, so how would you like to approach it?

peFDD08.png?1

They had finally shot off into the stars.  Julius looked out the windows to see the lights of the empty void speed pass them, his eye barely able to catch them all.  It was such a different view than the terraformed sky of Mars, and it made him smile.  This was mankind's first step towards unraveling the vastness of space.  What those in the past could only dream of and write scripts for, he was experiencing this exact moment.  Most of the crew were too busy with menial tasks to take in all of the wonder, but that was too be expected.  Most people here had a job to do.  He could respect their work ethic.  

Julius looked out of the front, seeing a large red planet taking up most of the view.  He stroked his chin...not even an hour had gone by since they shoved off, but they were now encountering extraterrestrial life.  Of course humans weren't the only sentient being in the universe.  To think so would be naive. 

"Hmmm...Crew members here on the bridge! What do you make of this situation? I want to proceed in a manner you're all comfortable with, so speak up!"

"Julius Pfeiffer, reports as ordered, ma'am."  He was the first to speak through the masses.  He saluted her. "If I may, Captain, I say that we try and communicate with these beings before taking any drastic measures.  After all, we don't want our first contact to be hostile...what would the universe think of Humanity then?"

It had finally come to this. Hugo felt like he had just come to the end of a long journey, only to start anew. Growing up on Uranus, he had never had high expectations in life, but now, all his hard work was being rewarded, and in a grandiose way at that. The first thing he noticed when first getting into space was just how beautiful the vacuum looked. As he sat in his office chair, he looked out the window, letting Victor run through his hands. What he saw stunned him. Stars flew passed him, his eyes only able to make out the outline of them blazing passed the window. He looked back down at Victor, who was starring back up at him, hissing. Hugo caressed the small animal and told it "Isn't it wonderful? Not many get these chances. Too busy slaving away to take a moment to really see what's around them." After a while of sitting, he had decided that he hadn't been too sociable since the preliminary screening. Everyone was gathered on the bridge, so that was going to be his next destination. Putting Victor back in his tank, he ordered the snake to stay put.

Upon arriving on the bridge, his intentions of mingling with the other adventurous souls was cut short with a new discovery: unfamiliar ships. He heard the captain ask what they wanted to do next. In response, countless scenarios from played through his mind. Despite what his outer appearance would suggest with his white lab coat and glasses, he had quite an active imagination. Anything from being boarded by reptiles with laser swords to small green men with antennas saying "Take me to your leader." danced through his head one after the other. However, only one situation seemed likely. "Well madam, I'm not a military strategist, but if they were territorial, I think they'd be shooting at us by now. I'd say a peaceful solution is called for." he told her. 

MsPi8L6.png

iU8EggM.png

"Crew members here on the bridge! What do you make of this situation? I want to proceed in a manner you're all comfortable with, so speak up!"

"Julius Pfeiffer, reports as ordered, ma'am. If I may, Captain, I say that we try and communicate with these beings before taking any drastic measures.  After all, we don't want our first contact to be hostile...what would the universe think of Humanity then?"

"Well madam, I'm not a military strategist, but if they were territorial, I think they'd be shooting at us by now. I'd say a peaceful solution is called for."

While a few of the crew members had voiced their opinions at the moment, Rei Celeste was furiously writing down the current events that had just unfolded. They were already encountering other life among the stars? It was so soon too! Nevertheless, she wrote down everything she could.

A red planet with it's own space station. It's amazing! No one of human kind has made it this far, yet there's a space station right there in front of us. she thought, twirling her pen in her hand. And what's more, a transmission with a dialect that isn't spoken by humans either! Oooooh man this is just too good! ...really hope that wasn't some sort of a declaration of war...

Finally, Rei closed her notebook with her pen keeping her place. She looked over at Serena with a smile, giving a slight nod and wave. "Sorry about that, Captain. Just getting some notes written down about the beginnings of the voyage. Rei Celeste, reporting for duty. And at this point, I'm going to have to agree with Julius and the doctor here. Maybe strike up a civil, peaceful contact with them. After all, we are trying to press forward for the sake of Humanity. So starting with a peaceful contact would definitely help. Plus, who knows, if we talk to them...they might actually know our common language and be able to communicate with us...oooooor at least that's the hope anyway."

Georgia stared pensively out of the large window out of her suite upon the Rebounder. Most of the crew had congregated at the bridge to view the acceleration of the Stellar Drive, she had more important business to attend to while within range of her satellites. Of course, the idea of being in a crowd of mixed rowdies that the Committee had chosen to enlist did not appeal to her in the slightest. As Georgia sent the last of her administrative messages to her Institute, she felt body press into her chair as the engines roared and shook the whole ship. Taking a deep breath, she strapped into her seat and closed her eyes.

The acceleration was much shorter than she had anticipated, but the fact that she was still alive brought her a sense of relief. As she opened her eyes, relief turned into confusion as she saw Mars instead of the distant void beyond the Kuiper Belt. Turning back to her desk, she quickly typed commands into the console to bring up the video feed of the bridge. Her eyes went wide as three strange spaceships were visible through the bridge’s main monitors, with an equally shocked crew.

"Identify yourselves!"

"Ol-kla se Kerkte Vruul, kla-boa Thakto. Sa-kla, neki te ol, ak mok ha."

“Captain! Three ships detected coming from the space station! Orders, please!"

Georgia turned the feed off as quickly as she had brought it up, turning around in her chair to face the blank white wall behind her. The Kuiper Telescope Array had suggested that meeting intelligent life beyond the Solar System was likely, but not even her wildest speculations prepared her for contact this soon. How had these beings escaped detection? Swallowing the growing lump in her throat and taking a deep breath, she resolved what she would do next.

“C1. C2. C3. Activate.”

With her words, a trio of glossy, white orbs on her desk rose ghost-like from their stands, a blue light and three polite chimes suggesting high technology rather than haunting.

“C2. Activate the Challenger II and run cursory lifeform analysis. C3, assemble the Xenobiology crew and have them prepare the cryptolanguage module for launch ASAP. C1, with me.”

The orbs obliged, with two floating off past the automatic doors and down the hallway in opposite directions, with the remaining one floating behind Georgia’s shoulder. Georgia rose from her seat, adjusted her glasses, then strode out of her suite towards the bridge, with the tapping of her heeled shoes echoing through the empty halls.

---

As Georgia entered the bridge, the crowd was abuzz with the same commotion that she saw earlier. A few of the more notable members of the crew had stepped forward to give their opinions on what should be done.

"If I may, Captain, I say that we try and communicate with these beings before taking any drastic measures.  After all, we don't want our first contact to be hostile...what would the universe think of Humanity then?"

"Well madam, I'm not a military strategist, but if they were territorial, I think they'd be shooting at us by now. I'd say a peaceful solution is called for."

"And at this point, I'm going to have to agree with Julius and the doctor here. Maybe strike up a civil, peaceful contact with them. After all, we are trying to press forward for the sake of Humanity. So starting with a peaceful contact would definitely help. Plus, who knows, if we talk to them...they might actually know our common language and be able to communicate with us...oooooor at least that's the hope anyway."

“At least the Committee managed to get a few with good heads on their shoulders…” Georgia thought to herself as she slowly made her way around the crowd. When she had finally brushed past the last of the assorted crew, she saw the speakers standing close to the petite captain, who stood gravely silent. Before she stepped forward, she tapped her watch, bringing up the holographic display with the results of the Challenger’s analysis. Three ships, four pilots of unknown biology, confirming that the extraterrestrials had some technology that evaded the Kuiper Array. Dismissing the display with a dissatisfied gesture, she then addressed the captain.

“Permission to deploy the Challenger II Captain?” Georgia asked simply, “The Cryptolanguage module will need to collect data from outside the Rebounder.”

She then pointed towards Julius and Rei before continuing.

“They can be deployed along with the Challenger II if security is your concern.”

Edited by Otaku-sama
Redundancy Department of Redundancy

“Permission to deploy the Challenger II Captain? The Cryptolanguage module will need to collect data from outside the Rebounder. They can be deployed along with the Challenger II if security is your concern.”

"No need. They're approaching too quickly." As Hugo had noted, these mystery people would have started shooting by now if they were the territorial type. "Open up the launch bay! Prepare to take in some visitors."

"On it, Captain!" A few minutes of relative silence passed on the bridge. Occasionally, the crew could hear some exchanges on the other side of the communications in that harsh alien language. It was hard to tell what they were talking about when one couldn't understand the language in the first place. Then, the doors of the bridge opened up, and in stepped the Rebounder's first alien visitors. Three hulking alien figures, each easily seven feet tall, stepped inside. Rather than eyes, they each seemed to have a second pair of nostrils, and coral-like growths protruded from various parts of their bodies as if to act as armor. Perched atop the shoulders of the middle one was a much smaller creature, that eyed over the Rebounder's crew with curiosity evident in its single eye as it kept its tiny legs latched onto its partner's head. "Thakto!" the middle alien called out. "Ol-kla neki sa-ta."

"Bolhe?"

"Bolhe dak. Wi katta, ak..." The alien sniffed the air more deeply. "Zat nok yiba." Whatever he was saying, it seemed to get something akin to a laugh out of whoever was on the other side of the connection. The speaker of the group nudged his fellow aliens, prompting the two to each hand something over to the middle one. Things that the large alien held out for the crew of the Rebounder. One of the items was easily identifiable as some sort of hardware meant to be hooked up to a communications device. The other was a small, circular object.

"Whatever that hardware is, get it installed on our communications, ASAP."

"Roger!" The installation didn't take long. For a generous definition of "installation" anyway. The small communications crew aboard the bridge at the time simply took the hardware and, without any sign of any plugs or wires, merely latched it onto the comms device with a few hooks built into the device. While there was still some idle chatter on the comms, it became garbled and full of static for a moment. But when the signal cleared back up...

"...and then we'll see who the real bad guy is."

"Ex... cuse me?"

"Hm? What is it?"

"We can understand you, you know."

"Oh? ...oh! Wonderful! You've got the translator installed, then!" The alien on the other side cleared its throat, and said "Now, let me try that introduction again. We are the Vruul Republic, and I am this warband's leader, High Warlord Thakto. You don't seem to be Bolhe scum, so we're pleased to meet you, mysterious creatures. I don't really know a lot about interstellar affairs, but if you have any questions, ask. But first, identify yourselves."

"We are humans, of Sol and the planets surrounding it."

OOC

Spoiler

Translation device, get! Sorry, Dr. Georgia, but this was already part of how I'd planned to start off the RP unless we started shooting at the vruul. Any questions your character may have about space and the aliens living in it should be asked here. If you want to collab with me a bit for the sake of getting things to flow smoothly, by all means don't be afraid to ask. Any questions you personally have that your character wouldn't ask should be presented to me. Serena or a nameless NPC can ask those ones.

peFDD08.png?1

It had been decided that they would let the Aliens board their vessel.  A strange tactical decision by his Commander, but he was not the right rank to be debating her Strategy.  They had no way of gauging these creatures' intents, yet they were allowed to walk straight onto the main deck.  Julius felt a lump in his throat, as his eyes made contact with the first extraterrestrials he had ever seen.  They looked fairly intimidating, but there was an air of intelligence about them.  No doubt they were, seeing as they were capable of space travel as well.  Julius scratched his chin, listening intently to their  language, as they passed on some sort of disc to the crew.  It began to install a software onto the ship, another strange move on the captain's part.  What if they had downloaded some interstellar computer virus.  He shook the thought, as they proceeded to exchange communications.  

"Now, let me try that introduction again. We are the Vruul Republic, and I am this warband's leader, High Warlord Thakto. You don't seem to be Bolhe scum, so we're pleased to meet you, mysterious creatures. I don't really know a lot about interstellar affairs, but if you have any questions, ask. But first, identify yourselves."

Well that pretty much summed things up nicely.  He didn't feel as if he had any information to divulge, now it was time to start pressing their guests.

"A republic with a High Warlord as a high ranking official?  Are you conquerors, or are you diplomats?  We humans tend to be quite the diplomats ourselves.  If you are the same, I'm sure we'll get along just fine!"  

MsPi8L6.png

iU8EggM.png

Rei waited with bated breath, the moment these lifeforms appeared. She kept quiet for a long period of time...until finally they could hear them speak in their own native tongue.

"Oh? ...oh! Wonderful! You've got the translator installed, then! Now, let me try that introduction again. We are the Vruul Republic, and I am this warband's leader, High Warlord Thakto. You don't seem to be Bolhe scum, so we're pleased to meet you, mysterious creatures. I don't really know a lot about interstellar affairs, but if you have any questions, ask. But first, identify yourselves."

She was excited at this, and began to open her notebook up yet again and resumed to write everything she heard. Of course, she did her best to spell the pronouns that this creature was using: Vruul, Thakto, Bolhe...at this point, she just spelt them the way she thought they sounded. If anything, she could probably find a way to rewrite this section properly for the official reports.

This is seeming interesting! she thought, scribbling down a few more notes.

"A republic with a High Warlord as a high ranking official? Are you conquerors, or are you diplomats? We humans tend to be quite the diplomats ourselves. If you are the same, I'm sure we'll get along just fine!"

The captain and Julius seemed to give the basic answers and questions, at least from Rei's point of view, but right now...she had another question for this race of creatures. "May I ask a question myself?" she piped in. "You seemed to be assuming we were allied with or possibly a part of something called...Bol...he? I really hope I didn't butcher that pronunciation. A-Anyway! Could you possibly tell us what those are, that way we could steer clear of them if we happen to end up running into them."

“No need. They're approaching too quickly. Open up the launch bay! Prepare to take in some visitors."

Despite her stoic demeanor, Georgia was shocked by the Captain’s willingness to simply let the extraterrestrials on to the ship. They knew nothing about their motives, their capabilities, or even their biology! What if they were hostile? What if their metabolisms made their presence dangerous for all onboard? As the crew murmured amongst themselves, Georgia slipped away into the crowd to make the necessary preparations to receive these interstellar guests. If they were to come aboard, she might as well make the most of the opportunity.

---

The aliens were hulking, fearsome figures covered in natural armor, but the fact that they could breathe the air within the ship and did not turn it into poison was a relief to Georgia. Flanked by her xenobiologists carrying masses of scientific equipment, she cautiously approached the visitors, slowly parting the crowd until she had a clear view.

The hulking aliens were accompanied with what appeared to be a symbiotic organism, which sported one massive eye that was contrasted by their partners’ complete lack of eyes. They muttered amongst themselves in guttural tones before presenting the crew with a strange communications device.

“Whatever that hardware is, get it installed on our communications, ASAP."

Georgia’s distaste for the Captain’s blind trust of these creatures was now barely visible on her face, but she still remained silent. Even if these creatures were not immediately hostile to the Rebounder, it was still very likely that they might want to exercise some kind of subterfuge to control the ship for whatever reason they came to the Solar System for. Clearly, she had overestimated the decisions of the Committee when it came to their choice of captain.

“C1. C2. C3. Full spectrum analysis on that device,” Georgia muttered into her watch, causing the three floating orbs to float away from her, following the communication’s officer. Once the device latched itself into the ship’s communication’s system, the orbs floated in front of the officer and began sweeping it with a battery of bright green lasers.

The initial results shocked Georgia. Not only were these creatures physically powerful, but they also have technological capabilities beyond what Luna’s finest could offer. The device was some kind of universal translator, capable of instantly translating between two completely different species with origins light-years away from each other, adapting itself to the completely foreign systems of the Rebounder. Such technology would be something she would need to get her hands on if the Rebounder expedition was to survive in a universe capable of producing such marvels.

"...and then we'll see who the real bad guy is."

"We can understand you, you know."

"Oh? ...oh! Wonderful! You've got the translator installed, then! Now, let me try that introduction again. We are the Vruul Republic, and I am this warband's leader, High Warlord Thakto. You don't seem to be Bolhe scum, so we're pleased to meet you, mysterious creatures. I don't really know a lot about interstellar affairs, but if you have any questions, ask. But first, identify yourselves."

These creatures appeared to be the conquering aliens of myth and legend, yet they appeared to be willing to overlook the Solar System in pursuit of an unknown enemy. It would appear that humanity had avoided annihilation by sheer luck yet again.

"A republic with a High Warlord as a high ranking official?  Are you conquerors, or are you diplomats?  We humans tend to be quite the diplomats ourselves.  If you are the same, I'm sure we'll get along just fine! "

“May I ask a question myself? You seemed to be assuming we were allied with or possibly a part of something called...Bol...he? I really hope I didn't butcher that pronunciation. A-Anyway! Could you possibly tell us what those are, that way we could steer clear of them if we happen to end up running into them."

As the pilot and the chronicler plied the visitors with questions about the visitors’ motives, Georgia gestured to her fellow scientists to prepare their equipment before stepping forward with questions her own.

“The Solar System has not had contact with life beyond our own star system before and we are hoping to learn what lies beyond it. Would you be able to tell us how many...other races you have contact with?”

The Vruul Republic. Hugo pondered what these creatures could be. Obviously they were sentient, but he wondered more about their biology. He chuckled slightly at the idea of asking them if he could start a dissection session with them. He listened to his colleagues ask their questions to the aliens, but he remained silent, slightly resting against the wall, observing what he could see and hear. From the sound, he concluded that these "Vruul" could only be at war with whoever these "Bolhe" were. Even though they were friendly to them, Hugo had his suspicions as to the motives of the Vruul despite the enthusiasm of his associates. For all they knew, these new aliens could be the "bad guys" from an outside observer. There was also the fact that their first instinct was to open fire at an unfamiliar ship. If they were already familiar with these Bolhe, wouldn't they be able to identify any insignia that would show allegiance? Hugo kept his distance in the back of the crowd, avoiding eye contact with these aliens until further evidence to their intentions could be determined.

"A republic with a High Warlord as a high ranking official? Are you conquerors, or are you diplomats? We humans tend to be quite the diplomats ourselves. If you are the same, I'm sure we'll get along just fine!"

"The Galactic Union's database has us labeled as a warrior society, but we have no interest in war beyond for sport or as a means of retaliation. I suppose you could call us gladiators. Honestly, we're not that experienced in dealing with other races."

“May I ask a question myself? You seemed to be assuming we were allied with or possibly a part of something called...Bol...he? I really hope I didn't butcher that pronunciation. A-Anyway! Could you possibly tell us what those are, that way we could steer clear of them if we happen to end up running into them."

A prolonged grunt sounded from the other side of the communications, as the aliens who had visited the bridge gave the crew of the Rebounder some sort of salute, turned, and left with their small companion in tow. "They're the big dog in the yard, so to speak. Very smart, very advanced, and very insistent that everyone follows their religion. We've told them plenty of times that we don't want their faith, and even signed treaties meant to keep them from trying to influence us, but they don't stop. If they continue to insist, I fear the Vruul people will have no choice but to go to war. Don't worry about finding them; they'll find you, no doubt."

“The Solar System has not had contact with life beyond our own star system before and we are hoping to learn what lies beyond it. Would you be able to tell us how many...other races you have contact with?”

"Well, there's your kind we've just met. Then there's the Bolhe we talked about earlier, and the Wi. They're good folk, and are probably already getting a welcome wagon together for your ship. And there's also the Sargatti. They should be excited to meet you. Sorry to say, but you've been living in the middle of nowhere all this time."

"I see..." The middle of nowhere, huh? "Where can we go to meet these other races, then?"

"If you keep going past our star, you should... what did they call it? A blue star? I think that's the word. You should see one of those at some point. They have this device installed near it that should take your ship closer to the hub of the Galactic Union. The Wi should be expecting you by now; one of their ambassadors was with the crew I sent to your ship."

"Understood. If that's all, we'll be on our way."

"Very well. May your triumphs be many." With that, the transmission was cut off. It was time for the Rebounder to move onward, and Serena gave out the order to reflect that. With mankind's first contact with an alien race being rather brief, but still important, mankind had been given directions to join the interstellar community. And Serena would be damned if her ship wouldn't jump at the chance.

"We've got some time before reaching the star the Vruul mentioned, Captain. Orders?"

"Take it easy for now, but keep this ship moving. And try to keep an eye on our surroundings. We have no idea what's out here."

Spoiler

Gonna try to take a couple rounds for some interaction since I kinda had to thrust us through that starting bit. Mingle with your crewmates, figure out with each other if your characters know each other, etc etc. I've got a couple things planned before we make it to our next destination, but for now, kick back while you can.

MsPi8L6.png

iU8EggM.png

"They're the big dog in the yard, so to speak. Very smart, very advanced, and very insistent that everyone follows their religion. We've told them plenty of times that we don't want their faith, and even signed treaties meant to keep them from trying to influence us, but they don't stop. If they continue to insist, I fear the Vruul people will have no choice but to go to war. Don't worry about finding them; they'll find you, no doubt."

That's...none to reassuring to be honest. Rei thought, writing down what she could. From the sounds of it, the Bolhe seemed to be some sort of radical group of religious zealots who seemed to want to force their religion upon other races. She thought she read somewhere back on Mars where this was sort of a norm for the older generations of humans before, but at the moment, she couldn't recall the information...namely because she was too engrossed at all this knowledge and lore she was receiving from this.

Gladiators though, that whole race is a group of gladiators? That must be amazing. At least we met up with a peaceful race on our first encounter. she thought, writing a few more things down, including one specific thing the creature said: You've been living in the middle of nowhere all this time. This lulled around in her mind for a good period of time, even after the transmission was cut. It was definitely official that they weren't alone in the universe now, but if that's the case... why did they not think to contact us?

With a sigh, she closed her notebook and shrugged off the thought. What they needed to do now was focus and move forward, worrying about why the different alien races didn't make contact with them first was irrelevant at the present moment. With that in mind, she moved over and sat down for a few moments. Her standing up that long while in the position of writing things down was a strain at the moment, so she at least needed a small rest from standing.

peFDD08.png?1

And just as soon as they had arrived, their first extraterrestrial encounter had left the scene.  Although Julius had retained a calm demeanor, the insides of his head were whizzing around with whiplash and a new influx of emotions.  Not only had they met a mostly civilized, and intelligent life form, those same very beings introduced them to the fact that there were many more beyond the stars.  It was all sorts of confusing news.  Was there no Galactic Council that could settle such disputes among races?  He was only a pilot, and the heir to his family's company, but dealing with interstellar conflict was a bit out of his league. 

For now, the first step now was to breath.  He let out a major sigh of relief.  He had to give it to everyone else for being able to stay so calm in such a situation.  He made his way through the masses to try and reach their captain.  He laughed at how stoic she truly was, but maybe it was a facade just like he had put up.  

"Captain."  He saluted.  After returning to rest, he smiled.  "I'm not sure I can take it easy after all of that.  I'm gonna need to process this for a couple of days."  He then scratched his head, tilting it towards the side, letting out a bit of a whine.  "I could barely contain myself when I asked that question earlier.  Were you scared too?  What's our plan now?"