Sign in to follow this  
Summer Darj

[Written] Trapp'in the Box - support for simple Normal Traps

WmEujfp.png
Trapp'in the Box
EARTH/Fiend/Effect/Tuner/Level 3
1500/200
(Quick Effect): You can banish this card from your GY, then send 1 Normal Trap with only 1 effect and without an activation condition from your Deck to the GY; this effect becomes that Trap's effect when that card is activated. For the rest of the turn after this effect resolves, you cannot activate Trap Cards that were Set this turn. You can only use the effect of "Trapp'in the Box" once per turn.

Written for now but imagine a variant of a mimic box or treasure chest. I bet I can find a picture for it relatively easily.

I made the effect with the card Disappear in mind, which nowadays is almost inferior to D.D. Crow, except for niche uses vs. Mystic Mine or grabbing it with Lilith. Regardless, this card intended to bring some life to such kind of Traps. Another decent Trap to use is Compulsory Evacuation Device. Note that it should also be able to copy effects with "and if you do", "then", etc. as those are still grouped in a single effect. This is more clear in OCG which numbers the effects, but on TCG it may be misleading or non-intuitive. Thus, that means Traps like Ring of Destruction should also be copiable, although IDK if in its case the "During the opponent's turn" is considered a condition as it's not the same as the Trap Hole's "When a monster is Summoned" conditions.

Anyway, tried to give the card plenty of support. EARTH/Fiend/Tuner/Level 3 and 1500/200 makes it a target for TGU, Cherubini, Needlefiber, and the Charmer familiars. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Darj

Interesting... I like this. It isn't as flexible as Junk_Collector, but it has a lot more support geared towards it especially from Burning_Abyss and it pulls stuff from the Deck as oppose to needing the trap in GY.

One real notable use I can think of  is it can send a Paleozoic to the GY and fuel up the GY with one more Paleo while activating its primary effect. In addition, you could splash this in Paleozoic with Fiend_Griefing. It is way more reliable than Absolute_King_Back_Jack in some regard.

One thing in question though... Does this ignore cost?

Anyhow love the name being a portmanteau of "Jack in the Box" and "Trap", and its flavor even though they've used Mimics in the game before... Although they never gave a one of those monsters an effect that characterizes a mimic as well as this. So bonus point there.

Edited by BGMキャノン

Glad you liked the theme and that you caught up on the potential support for BAs. I indeed went for the Jack in the Box + Trapping + Trap pun.

However, as much fun as it could have been, it cannot mill Paleozoics because those have more than 1 printed effect. Maybe I should drop a PSCT on the restrictions of the Traps it can mill, if it's not intuitive enough. Something like "... only 1 effect (printed)..." Although I'm open to making it more flexible as long as it doesn't outclass Junk Collector.

I realized I can get even more support as DARK because of Scarm and Armageddon, but I would rather keep it more unique and not make the support too blatant.

To answer the question, yes it would ignore costs like Rafflesia and Collector do.

Edited by Darj

28 minutes ago, Darj said:

Glad you liked the theme and that you caught up on the potential support for BAs. I indeed went for the Jack in the Box + Trapping + Trap pun.

However, as much fun as it could have been, it cannot mill Paleozoics because those have more than 1 printed effect. Maybe I should drop a PSCT on the restrictions of the Traps it can mill, if it's not intuitive enough. Something like "... only 1 effect (printed)..." Although I'm open to making it more flexible as long as it doesn't outclass Junk Collector.

I realized I can get even more support as DARK because of Scarm and Armageddon, but I would rather keep it more unique and not make the support too blatant.

Ohhh right... Huh... Well you can still use other Chainable Traps that Paleo often likes to run so not the end of the world for that, it just means it is more of a utility alternative compared to Back Jack... Which I think fits your notion on how currently or recently relevant cards shouldn't be outright outclassed by cards we make in CC. Anyhow I don't think you need to change the PSCT like that... This is more along the lines of overly excitable personalities like myself simply not paying attention  to or considering the fact that it means the effect of the Trap in its entirety. It is just something that will occasionally be overlooked I would imagine.

Edited by BGMキャノン

Couldn't you get around its restrictions by sending Trap Trick?  It technically only has the one effect based on the Japanese numbered text, I believe.

5 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Couldn't you get around its restrictions by sending Trap Trick?  It technically only has the one effect based on the Japanese numbered text, I believe.

I would think you are right. And not a fan of that interaction because then you can access most Traps at the "cost" of more deck dedication. IDK if I should keep it like that anyway, or find a convoluted way to dodge Trap Trick support. After all, If you try to access a Trap through this --> Trap Trick, you would be losing reactiveness or you would have to use this effect preemptively, and that requires a bit more of strategy or smart play.