Skaia

Fire Emblem: Soul of Heaven [IC/PG-16]

Alexis shook her head as she saw the zombie shamble off before she could attack it. It really seemed that these monsters wanted nothing to do with her. There was something about the way they attacked that bothered the girl...but whatever the case was the zombie seemed to have bitten off more than it could chew. The idea of these creatures falling to dark magic felt wrong to her. She half expected them to get back up even stronger because of it. But at the moment it seemed they were down for good.

She moved into position in front of a nearby thicket and set her sights on the pack of hounds. They seemed to be watching her but hadn't moved from their spot. "Well, guess I gotta take it to them, don't I?" She declared.

She knew she was diving into a lot of danger but on the other hand...who else could do it? If they took too long that thing would draw more monsters out of the woods to attack and eventually the hounds might attack. And with Leon and the Salamander boy out of this. "Man, really got my work cut out for me today." She said. Despite the grim circumstances she couldn't help but smile. After fighting bandit after bandit this was almost...refreshing.

Making sure to keep to the right of the hound, in case she needed to retreat, Alexis thrust her lance towards the Hound. The attack wasn't quite on the mark, having to aim lower than usual, and stabbed across the creature's back.

Cursing to herself she let out a sudden shout as the hound bit down onto her lance arm. Gritting her teeth the girl delivered a couple punches to the thing's eye before it relented.

Bringing back her lance again, wincing at the pain in her arm, she thrust true this time. Piercing the monster's skull.

Without hesitating she looked up from her kill and towards the hounds. If they moved now it wouldn't be long before they were upon her. She had to hope Tana could outrun them worse came to worse.

Just as she hoped when she moved into position the zombies had decided to both attack her. She had managed to deliver a powerful blow to the zombie's body but, with how sunk in it was, she didn't want to waste time pulling it out lest the zombies take advantage of her hesitation.

Taking out her second axe she focused in on the axe wielder, and struck it directly in the forehead with her blow, felling the monster.

Turning to the side she adjusted her axe in her hand, ready to swing it at the sword wielder if it came for her again.

She saw that the other flier was already ahead. And Ada was as well. She had to finish this off quick to catch up with them. She couldn't let those two risk themselves. She had seen how they handled the monsters so far and knew, though she hated to admit it, that they were the best chance. All she could do was try and take as many blows for them as she could. But to do that she had to be there.

She hoped Leon was okay.

Spoiler

Alexis moved up 3, killed Hound 5, 7 as counter target
Rona attacked and killed zombie 15, 16 as counter target

Layne watched as the others began to run forward... Or fly forward, in the case of Rona and Alexis, wincing lightly as he watched them rip and tear their way through the battlefield. The amount of remaining zombies and beasts was slowly lowering, while off in the other direction, it seemed like Leon and Yue were able to keep Raynor safe while the man was down. The rest of the battle though, it was getting a bit more dangerous each time they moved forward and closer towards that beast.

Layne gripped at the staff in his hands as he mumbled to himself, closing his eyes for a moment as he turned to Edda, "Let's go, if you can do that... Thing, again, I would appreciate it. One of them flew really far ahead and I need to be sure she's okay." He quickly ran forward as he gave her a wave to follow him, the cleric not wasting anytime as he dashed towards Rona. The staff in his hand had already begun to glow with the warm light as he lifted it up into the air, a small sigh escaping the cleric as he pointed it into the sky. Relief began to wash over the injuries on her body once again, the worst of them starting to patch up enough to dull the pain, while he took a brief step up and glanced back towards Edda.

It was rare that Layne would heal someone without making even a passing comment, but considering his focus was back towards Edda, it probably wouldn't be a surprise. When she caught up, Layne heard a faint sounding coming from Edda as he raised an eyebrow. He wasn't even sure what she had said, but sure enough, it felt like the will to move was returning to him once again. He grinned to Edda, giving her a little wave, before turning on his feet and dashing upwards once again.

The forest ground wasn't entirely even, there were roots that he had to avoid tripping over, but he dashed all the same towards Alexis as the staff he was holding began to glow once more. He watched as the worst of the wounds started to close once more, though the blood wasn't so easily washed away. Layne exhaled with a deep sigh, catching his breath as he started to slump over a tiny bit, his hands shaking a tiny bit as he wobbled lightly, giving a single, offhand comment between his breaths. "You're almost... As bad as Rona..."

Layne moved up 3 to heal Rona to full, then Exit Stage'd up 1.

Edda moved right 1, up 4 to Verse Layne.

Layne moved up 5 to heal Alexis to full. Heal Staff 1 is at 37 uses remaining.

I'm glad...I'm so glad. That was the only thought running through Yue's mind. She didn't really know Raynor that well, but he was kind, despite his scary appearance, and Gojira was adorable. Seeing the draytter cough out blood was both relieving and worrisome, however Leon was right. They didn't really have time to care for either person or lizard, much as the archer wanted to. Times like these, she wished she could heal like Layne, even though the very thought of healing magic made her want to throw up. Pausing to say, "Don't worry, we're just going to fight. We won't leave you behind," Yue continued, following Leon, who was circling around to the left. He had positioned himself strategically between a copse of trees to the right and an overgrown thicket to the left. Preparing himself, he used a vulnerary, which looked to be just in time, as a zombie had approached and attacked him.

"I'm here too!" Yue shouted, drawing her bow back and letting the arrow slip from her fingers, straight for the enemy zombie. She took a breath once she saw it go down. "L-looks like we can do this," she smiled shakily at the mercenary in front of her. It was just him between her and the zombie...if it got close, she was toast, and not the tasty kind either. But she trusted Leon to not leave her to die like that, just like he had went to Raynor as soon as he could. After all, he was an Iron Falcon...well, the leader of the Iron Falcons, and Falcons watched out for each other.

Spoiler

Yue stays in place and attacks Zombie 17 with her Iron Bow and defeats it.

Edited by Sethera

The brief respite was much appreciated, as was Layne's healing. With a nod, Ada continued forward, warily looking about. It seemed they were all branching off at this point, but was that really for the best?

Before she kept thinking the plan through, she saw a zombie approaching from the west. Glancing about to see if anyone else was around, she produced her tome and headed up to it, initiating combat at a bit of range. While the magic hit its mark, she had failed to notice that the zombie had a bow... And that its retaliation hit her hard. Sprawling backwards, Ada let out a cry, a hole in her side bleeding profusely.

"Dammit... This is even worse... than the other times... What the hell...?" Ada muttered as she shot magic back, accidentally putting too much force into her own counter attack. The skeleton was no more, but Ada slumped against the tree nearest her, clutching her side and gritting her teeth. Raynor already fell... She couldn't be like him... She had to live on...!

Ada moves up twice, left three times, and attacks Zombie 3. She defeats it with a swing and a crit, but received a crit in turn.

Ada has 1 HP.

While Leon took up his stance in the choke point, the first zombie had moved over to him and took a slash at him with its sword. As the Zombie's slash bit into Leon's arm, the boy responded with a swift cut of his own to cleave off one of the zombie's arms. As he took a defensive stance, ready to strike at the zombie yet again, an arrow sailed past him and went straight into the head of the zombie he was facing. With the creature falling to the ground, Leon was glad to see that Yue was still mentally in this and had his back, though didn't have much time to think of anything else as the lance wielding zombie made its way over to him. As the creature went to stab straight for his heart, Leon parried with his shield, forcing the lance down and into his side instead. With sword in hand, the boy thrust the sword forward into the creature's chest, though it didn't seem any bit bothered despite the wound it had incurred. 

Meanwhile, on the north side of the fight, the hounds had all had their eyes trained on Alexis as she flew forward and took out one of them. With one of the hounds charging the pegasus knight the creature leapt at Alexis, attempting to snap its jaw down on her. With the pegasus knight deftly avoiding the attack, she then retaliated with a stab of her own and tearing into the flesh of the hound. Meanwhile, rather than just starting to charge straight at her, the rest of the hounds slowly prowled towards her. Meanwhile, the phantom hound let out yet another unearthly how, causing more dead to rise from the ground underneath. 

Alexis pumped her fist as she scored an attack across the hound's flank. She had seen that attack coming from a mile away and was able to keep the monster at bay.

"You're almost... As bad as Rona..."

"I thought I was doing pretty well actually!" Alexis answered. He saw the aforementioned Wyvern Rider coming her way and, with a wave, told Layne "heads up, I'm going to the next one, your friend there can clean this one up." And as the hound snapped at her she took off, moving in a direct line towards the next nearest one. Soaring overhead of the wounded hound.

She flew over the thicket and stabbed her lance down. The Pegasus Knight managed to score a hit but, as she pulled the lance back, it got tangled up in a thicket. Which let the hound leap towards her and bite on her leg.

Wincing and letting out a surprised shout she re-positioned her lance so it was pointed down and jammed the weapon into the beast's skull.

Sighing she glanced over at the next closest hound. Surely it would come for her next. She only hoped the injury didn't slow her reflexes down too badly. They were getting there. So close...she wanted to be more careful but taking too much time now would only cause them to get surrounded.

Go, go, go. Rona was falling behind. She couldn't fall behind. She had to catch up. Even Layne was ahead of her....but she couldn't push herself, or rather Cormag, that hard. It was hard enough having to be sure not to fly into trees but he had been pushing forward for a while now.

Which was when Rona heard the voice again. Finally realizing it was coming from Edda she gave the girl a confused look "What is..."

But before she could finish Cormag, with a mighty roar, continued his flight with his energy renewed.

Rona heard Alexis tell Layne she could "clean up". Something about that bothered her. She wasn't supposed to just be flying behind her and finishing off the foes the other flier wounded. It would be admitting she was weaker than Alexis.

But....she also couldn't just leave Layne there to die.

"To your right." Rona told Layne and swooped in, burying her axe into the hound's skull. Not realizing the irony that she had ended in the same place that Alexis had been standing. There was still a hound to the left that seemed ready to attack. She'd worry about that one next.

Spoiler

Alexis moved to the right of 9 and killed it. 8 counter target

Rona moved to the spot Alexis vacated, killed 7, 6 counter target

Yue bit her lip when she saw the next zombie stagger its way toward Leon. "I can do this," she whispered to herself. "I'm strong." Maybe not really, but it made her feel better to say that, and a little closer to Rona. Rona would probably say something like that too, but the difference was, she was actually strong.

"Eep!" the silver-haired girl squeaked when the lance-wielding monster thrust its lance straight toward the leader of their band. Thankfully, the boy managed to bring his shield up in time, redirecting the lance toward his side, and what would've been a fatal blow became a manageable one. Sighing in relief, the archer fiddled with her bow nervously. She had to attack. She would help Leon out and make him proud.

Lifting up her gleaming iron bow, Yue edged a few steps to the side so she wouldn't accidentally hit mercenary in front of her. "Don't get mad...but you're not very nice," she said as she released the arrow from her grip.

Spoiler

Yue stays in place and hits Zombie 17 and kills it.

Edited by Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd

"I thought I was doing pretty well actually!"

Layne laughed as he started to catch his breath, stretching his legs a bit as he stood up straight once more, "I mean with making me chase after you... I wasn't sure I was going to make it!" He grinned as he gave her a thumbs up once she mentioned backup coming from behind, a little sigh escaping him as he rubbed at his neck a tiny bit, "A-Alright, just don't go too much farther! Gotta be able to ca- There she goes."

She took off before he got a chance to finish his sentence, the grip on the heal staff tightening up as he watched Alexis fly off over the creature in front of him. He was prepared to attack if he had to do it, but with Alexis giving him a heads up there... 

"To your right." 

Layne was able to duck towards the side, giving Rona more than enough room to swoop on in and take the hound out before he had to attack it. He took a deep breath as he did, almost worried that he would get crushed as Cormag swooped in, but he managed to clear it and keep enough room for Rona in front of him as he watched her start to attack and destroy that hound, "Thanks for the cover! I don't know how far I can go right now, I need to wait for Ada to catch up so I can heal her. You look good to go for now... If you get hit, come back as fast as possible!"

That was the plan, at first. Layne really wanted Ada to get caught up and healed, but while she managed to start moving towards them, there was more conflict still going on up ahead. "...Looks like that won't happen though." Alexis had gotten herself into another fight, which wasn't surprising, but it looked like she had taken a fairly heavy blow, so with a quick glance back towards Ada, Layne started to run past Rona.

It was another mad dash towards the Pegasus Knight as she seemed to be examining her own wounds, he didn't know if she was trying to get them covered up or what, but he didn't really have time to think about it. There was a thicket up ahead that he could use as some form of cover just in case of anything approaching him, so he dashed straight into it as the staff he was holding started to glow once more. The light washed over Alexis as he took a deep breath, poking his head out just a bit to try and get a better look at the monstrous enemy they were about to face. He was way too close for it for his liking, whether he could dodge it or not was entirely up in the air...

CHANCE OF PLANS, Move up 4 into the Thicket to heal Alexis back to full HP. Heal Staff 1 is at 36 uses.

Edited by Kay Faraday

Ada barely managed to pick herself up off of the ground as she heard the battle continue around her. Reaching into her pack with a shaky hand, she pulled out some medicine and popped it into her mouth, her other hand still clutching her side. Working its magic, the wound stopped bleeding almost immediately... but she still felt uneasy. Walking back towards the group, she saw Layne and tried to call out to him, only for her voice to catch in her throat, coughing up some blood. Falling against another tree to her side she panted, clutching her tome tight in case a monster happened upon her. Maybe Layne would see her and help.

Ada moves right 4 times, up 1 time, and uses a vulnerary.

Designating hound 6 for counterattack.

With Alexis moving to take on the hounds, yet another of the beasts began to charge forward and snap at her. Though she was nimble, the hounds were still able to keep up with the pegasus knight's movements and leapt forward, snapping its jaws onto the rider and digging its claws into the horse. As it let go, it was struck, just as most of its other comrades had been, by a lance by the flying horse rider in retaliation. Backing off, the creature continued to crouch into the thicket, awaiting the pegasus knight's next move. 

Edda didn't answer Rona's question and simply looked away from the girl as she dealt a killing blow against the hound. Instead, she watched as Ada had come up, patching herself up only for another hound to come running forward. Waiting for the moment that Ada had been healing herself to strike, the creature sprinted forward and jumped at Ada, snapping its jaws down at the girl and biting into her side, doing away with most of the work she had done with her vulnerary. However, the hound didn't stay latched onto her side for long, as the blast of dark magic came from Ada in retaliation and forced the jaws off of her. 

Leon, meanwhile, had stood back and watched as the lance wielding zombie before him was struck in the head by an arrow. As the creature crumpled onto the ground, dead, Leon looked back to Yue. Seeing that there was nothing around  them, the boy said, "let's press forward." Beginning to move forward, Leon prepared himself for the coming attacks of the lance wielding zombie. 

"Thanks for the cover! I don't know how far I can go right now, I need to wait for Ada to catch up so I can heal her. You look good to go for now... If you get hit, come back as fast as possible!"

Rona knew she wouldn't do that. They were so close. The beast was right before her. It honestly frightened her. She wasn't sure how she was supposed to fight a creature that seemed so....ghostly. It reminded her of the Phantom from before. She still could remember how fighting it had felt and she was certain this would be much worse than that.

Still, it was right there, she had to go for it.

Except there was still one more foe in her way. Even though she wanted to make a break for the boss she knew that if she let this hound through then it could easily claim the life of one of their allies. Which would only make things harder for them all.

Taking a deep breath and holding her axe tightly she urged Cormag forward. Instead of flying the wyvern merely lumbered forward a few steps and, as Rona passed the hound by she leaned to the side and brought her axe down onto its skull. "Get ready." Rona said to Ada. "I'm going for that...thing, next. Whatever happens."

Alexis narrowed her eyes. "Oh, you did NOT just hurt Tana!" Instead of her usual attack she dismounted from Tana, landing in the thicket. She wasn't about to let Tana get hurt like that again. The hound was waiting but she expected it didn't think she'd get off of her pegasus to go after it. She rushed through the thicket and rammed her lance through the hound's side. The creature growled at her but collapsed a moment later.

With a sigh Alexis went back to Tana and checked her wound before climbing back up. "Sorry about that girl, don't know what got over me, haha." Glancing behind her she called out to the healer. "Make sure Tana is patched up okay? We're going in after this. That unholy beast is gonna go down."

She took a deep breath and examined the field. Nothing was within range besides the big boss. There were some creeping closer but....they couldn't keep dragging this on for long.

Spoiler

Rona moved one to the left and took out 6
And Alexis killed 8

Yue breathed a sigh of relief at seeing the zombie go down. This was good. Little by little, she and Leon could cut their way through these zombies. She nodded in agreement when the mercenary suggested that they press forward. Unfortunately, a zombie was moving forward, partially blocked by the thicket. Even more unfortunately, it was wielding a lance in hand. Glancing at Leon worriedly, the archer moved to the side, a little closer to the zombie than she wanted to be, but there was nothing she could do about that.

Taking out her bow, she took aim at the zombie, grasping the arrow with her fingers. While the underbrush around it made it hard to see, Yue was used to such obstacles when shooting wild game in the forest. In fact, except for the monsters, it was almost like she was back in the Halar Woods. Still, she had to remember this wasn't her forest. The trees were different, the animals were different, and she wasn't alone anymore. But still, there was something about being in the wilderness like this that was comforting. She wasn't trapped by four walls and a roof anymore. This was where she belonged.

"I can do this," the archer said, and fired the arrow. The wooden missile soared through the air and landed in the zombie's chest. It wasn't anywhere near the heart, but it would probably still hurt, if zombies could feel pain.

Spoiler

Yue moves up so she's standing to the left of Leon, and shoots at Zombie 17. She hits.

Edited by Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd

"Make sure Tana is patched up okay? We're going in after this. That unholy beast is gonna go down."

Huh, a requested heal, that didn't really happen much to him. Usually he had to scramble to catch up to the people that needed healing the most. It was a bit of a pain to make sure no one was too roughed up generally... But hey, he was here so he could heal the pegasus while he had the chance. The light from the staff started to fill the air once again as he lifted it up, pointing it straight towards Tana and Alexis, a low sigh escaping him as the familiar relief washed over Alexis... Though the wounds were definitely more on her mount. It was patched up steadily, a deep breath escaping Layne as he nodded his head, "There you go, one quick patch! I gotta go take care of our shaman now, I'll be back! Don't get too injured!"

His voice had that usual air of cheerfulness to it, but there was a slight edge as he took a quick step away from Alexis and made his way down the field again. It wasn't long before he felt himself running out a breath, waving a hand in the air towards Edda as he did, "Yo, can you do that... Thing again? I gotta get us all topped off..."

He took a deep breath as he waited for Edda, the feeling of refreshed vigor running through him as he gave her a quick thumbs up, before running off down towards Ada next. The light from the staff started to build up once again as he pointed it towards Ada once he was next to her, the light from it surrounding the wounded Shaman as he took a deep breath, "Man, I'm all over the place this time. But we're almost done, yeah? Just a tiny bit more! ...Ignore that the last obstacle is huge and scary, though."

Layne healed Alexis to full, Heal Staff 1 is at 35 uses, then Exit Stage'd down 2 spaces.

Edda moved up 3, then Verse'd Layne so he can move again.

Layne then moved down 2 and to the left 1, to heal Ada back to full HP with Heal Staff 1, down to 34 uses.

As the group had managed to clear out all of the hounds around them, the Phantom Hound had seemed to still be ready to fight back. Snarling at the group as they seemed to group up, the hound merely prepared itself for whatever it was the ground was going to do. Meanwhile, Edda looked around, her usual uncomfortable expression having a wave of nervousness added into it. "Uh, guys..." The girl looked over to the swarm of skeletons that had seemed to start making their way over to the group, clearly seeming ready to collapse on them if things weren't taken care of. 

The lance wielding zombie simply held his ground as the arrow lodged itself into the creature's shoulder. It was certainly hurt by the attack, and looked like it could barely take another of those while keeping itself together. All the same, it didn't seem to mind as it awkwardly shuffled out the deep and thick thicket, with lance in hand as it moved towards the group. With Yue being the closest thing to him, the zombie didn't go very far as it reeled back its lance. With one thrust the zombie struck the frail archer in the abdomen with its spear, twisting it a bit before pulling the weapon back and leaving a large wound in Yue.

"Yue!" Tightening the grip on his blade, Leon moved forward and slashed at the lance wielding zombie. As the blade got into the zombie's ribs, the boy merely continued forward and upward with his blade, severing the arm, shoulder and head of the zombie all in one slash. As the zombie fell to the strike, Leon made his way over to Yue looking at the girl saying, "don't worry. Just patch yourself up and rest for now, I'll make sure to cover you." Leon looked around to see that the zombies weren't coming after them anymore, but he knew this was a momentary respite at best. He wasn't entirely sure how he was going to cover for both Yue and Raynor but there was no way he could simply leave them. As such, all he had to do was place his faith in the others of his team and hope that they could defeat the phantom. 

Ada barely had time to react after the heal, patting Layne on the shoulder and thank him at the same time as running towards the phantom. She stopped a bit before reaching it to observe the creature's actions and the approaching reinforcements. It seemed like it was now or never, so Ada pulled out a different tome and rushed in, getting right next to the beast as she began to chant with the pages open. When the massive hound looked at her, it would feel immense gravity holding it down, forcing it to watch as Ada fired a condensed blast of dark magic at the boss of the monsters.

However, it was not enough to fell the beast. Quickly striking back, Ada nearly fell to her knees again as the attack damaged her, holding on as best she could to keep the effect of the Pressure spell from dissipating.

"Alright guys, now! If we don't stop it, they'll just keep coming! Get it while it can't move!"

Ada moves up once, left three times. She uses Pressure on the boss, and takes 12 damage in response. She has 10 HP.

Designating the boss for counterattack.

"Uh, guys..."

Alexis glanced back at where Edda was. And saw the zombies approaching. She was sure they could deal with them but by the time that they did....more would be coming. It didn't seem it would end...until. "No worries! Just got one big, ugly, beastie to take down. Even if those corpses stick around we can clean them up once that thing is out of the way."

She gripped her lance and flew forward. A brief moment of concern hit her when she saw Ada attacking it. Wouldn't evil magic only serve to strengthen an evil beast? Thankfully it seemed not to be the case. Still, somewhat wary, Alexis passed by the hound's head and thrust into the side of its neck. It had a strange feeling to it. Not quite like a regular body. But it seemed to be doing something so she didn't stop there. Pulling back she flew forward a bit more and rammed her lance into the creature's side. "This thing is foul but I think it's weakening!" She called out.

She kept one hand on Tana's reigns, ready to pull back in case the beast attacked. If not she would try and twist the lance and shove it deeper.

"Alright guys, now! If we don't stop it, they'll just keep coming! Get it while it can't move!"

Rona winced. "Stop giving me orders. You're not the commander." Rona thought bitterly. Still, it wasn't as though there was any other option. She had to kill this thing before it caused more trouble. No matter what happened to her in the process. She took hold of her Steel Axe. She would cleave through the thing's skull and end it in one blow. "Come on Cormag, this is it, let's end this now!"

With a roar Cormag took off into the sky. Rona herself gave off a roar of her own as they dove down towards the creature. Going straight for it. She hefted her axe and brought it down right on the head of the creature. As her axe came down she cleaved a chunk of the beast's head right through. She was sure that would finish it. Yet...there was no blood. And the beast struck back as though it weren't missing a piece of itself. Its large jaws clamped down on her side. She felt a burning sensation. It wasn't the same as being bitten by the hounds. It hurt more...yet it also didn't. Her body itself was unharmed, though a burn-like mark began to spread, but the pain was intense.

But she was still alive. Despite her vision blurring at the pain. She could still...keep...going.

"Uh, guys..."

Layne glanced back at Edda, before following her gaze down to where the approaching zombies were coming from. A nervous look crossed his face as he watched them shambling towards the group once more. His hand brushed across his cheek as he shook his head quickly, patting at his cheek to try and snap his attention back towards the threat that was in front of them. The actual big enemy. The one that might just wipe them all here and now.

Ada made the first blow at the beasty, the sight of it being held down and subdued for the time being causing Layne to let out a relieved sigh as he closed his eyes. That was a moment for them to breathe. At least, it was until the other two nearby flew right in to start bashing right at the monster. Alexis managed to get off without taking any real damage from it, but Rona was less lucky. The flier took a rough hit as the hound-like creature retaliated, the cleric's hand gripping the staff tighter as he tossed it back on his back. Around his waist, a band holding another one was quickly undone as he grabbed it and started to charge forward. The staff didn't glow. 

As Layne charged forward, his grip on the staff altered as he threw it up, grabbing the bottom of the shaft to that the bulkier head of it was pointed towards the beast. He grabbed at it with both hands as he ran forward, there wasn't much in the way of finesse with what he was about to do as he called out, "Beast, devil! Get... Away!"

His charge ended with him right in front of the phantom-ish beast, the head of that staff coming down rapidly, right along the head of the beast. He wasn't even sure if that would be enough to buy any amount of time for the others to finish it off, but he was prepared to do this. The beast didn't seem to be attacking the same as the rest of them, the damage wasn't done in bites and scratches, if the injury on Rona was anything to go by... He can tank at least one of them, this time.

Layne moved up 2 and to the left 3, or up 1 and to the left 4, whichever spot is open to the attack right now. Hopefully one of them is, and uses Mend Staff 1 to Staff Strike the boss for 4 HP.

The Phantom Hound stood its ground as the falcons all dog piled onto it to kill it. Though each of them alone had managed to deal a significant blow to the beast, the creature continued to snarl at them, its fangs continuing to crackle with energy as it looked between those that had struck. As such, as if going almost completely unnoticed by him, Layne was able to make his way over to the Phantom Hound without it attempting to stop him in any way. And as he brought his staff up, the phantom was almost entirely blind sided by the attack. Letting out an almost pathetically dog like whimper, the beast's legs gave way as it fell to the ground. Once prone, less than a second passed until the darkness that seemed to make up its being exploded. After the initial burst, the darkness simply floated in the air around the group until it seemed to disperse and fade away. 

As it did, the zombies that were encroaching on the strike party's location suddenly stopped. Going slack jawed and dropping the weapons in their hands, the zombies not soon after collapsed onto the ground, motionless. Inching closer, as if still wary of the creatures coming back, Edda looked to the others saying, "it- it's over?" 

Rona stared in open-mouthed amazement at Layne. Really? Did that actually happen? She couldn't finish it off and yet....She shook her head. "It seems that beast wasn't as frightening as it looked!" Rona called out. Then, realizing what it sounded like she was saying, she followed with, "not that I was worried to begin with! I knew we could bring it down." She winced as she turned to look at the others. The burn mark still giving her flashes of pain.

With a start she remembered the others who had been fighting way off in the distance. "I'll go check on Leon and Yue!" Rona said and, before anyone could stop her, even to heal, she had Cormag take flight and moved hastily, somewhat recklessly, around the trees and to where Leon was.

She felt relief rush over her as Cormag landed next to Leon and she climbed off his back. She hurried over to him before stopping herself just short of the young man. "I'm glad to see you're al..." that's when she noticed Yue's injury and she hesitated. She didn't want to turn from Leon until he told her what to do next but...

Her body acted for her and she approached Yue. Despite Rona's clear wound she removed the vulnerary she had been given a while back, still untouched, and held it out for Yue. "Take if if you need some...Thank you for defending the commander while I was away."

"Wooooo! Go team!" Alexis said, pumping her fist in the air. "Score one for....what are we called again? Irony Beagles? Well, whatever, go us!" She let out a sigh of relief and started to lean back. Her intention was to lay across Tana's broad back but, instead, she ended up tumbling off the side and falling face-first into the dirt. She lay there for a moment before rolling onto her back and bursting out in laughter.

"Well I'm sure glad that didn't happen during the fight!" She said. Still laughing she sat up and wiped her face with her arm. She grinned up at the trio nearby, Rona having had left in a hurry, and gave them a thumbs up. "Not too shabby eh? I think next time we could do it even faster."

She looked back to where the beast had been. "Still, what was that thing....It can't be a good sign. I've seen my fair share of monsters but something like that is more than just a monster. It was almost like a commander of sorts. I wonder if they have a general..."

She then got up fully and stretched. "Well, suppose we should get back to camp eh? Anyone want a lift?"

The zombie had hit her.

Yue had known this was a possibility. After all, there was a reason she liked to take down her opponents with one shot, or two shots. If they still lived after she hit them, that meant that they would probably try to hurt her. And she didn't have much in the way of armor...at all.

Her abdomen was now bleeding, and her clothes were soaked through with blood as well. A wet gurgle bubbled up from the archer's throat, and she fell to her knees on the ground.

"Yue!" Leon's voice sounded faint, as if it was coming from a distance. Soon afterward, she heard distant fighting, but no...she didn't think they had moved that far away...had they? And then, he moved...closer? He was saying something too, but his words came out weird and unintelligible for some reason.

Yue nodded. She wasn't really sure what she was nodding to, but she nodded.

I have something...don't I? Something I can use to heal? It was so hard to think. For some reason, the girl's thoughts were moving at a snail's pace.

She heard another voice. This one more familiar. It sounded like...wait, was that...Rona? Yes, that was Rona. The girl was in front of her now...handing her something? And talking? Why was she doing that? Wait, what was she giving her?

Blinking owlishly, Yue took the thing, whatever it was, and looked at it. It took a few seconds, but she realized, Oh, that's what it is. It was a vulnerary. They were used to heal. Did she need healing? I guess I do. Yes, I need to heal, don't I? With that thought in mind, Yue took a generous amount of the healing salve and rubbed it over her stomach area. Immediately afterward, things started to make sense again, and she realized just how dangerous of a position she had been in.

"Th-thank you," she stared up at Rona gratefully. She's so amazing and kind and wonderful. She came back to check on us and she even gave me one of her vulneraries. Wait... "O-oh," she looked down. "I...I already have a vulnerary. So I'm sorry for using yours." She rummaged around in her bag for a couple moments before grabbing one and offering it up to the wyvern rider. "Here...you can take this instead."

The girl glanced around the battlefield. It looked like all the monsters had gone away. "Oh! I-Is the fighting over then?"

"It seems that beast wasn't as frightening as it looked! not that I was worried to begin with! I knew we could bring it down." 

The beast fell, that was the important thing. Layne took a heavy breath as he stumble down to his knees, a deep breath escaping him. His staff planted firmly on the ground as he leaned against it, closing his eyes for a moment, before he finally spoke up to Rona, a small laugh escaping him as he nodded his head, "C-Can't have been that bad of a monster if it fell to a little bap, yeah."

He hadn't even been hit by it. Why it felt like he was hit by a truck now, he wasn't so sure. It felt like all his energy had been sapped from him and his legs wobbled as he started to stand up once again. There were people to check on. Ada might still be injured, Rona and the new girl both had been fighting that thing head on, so he would need to check on them... Rona had already left though, he would have to corner her at the camp to make sure she wasn't seriously injured.

"Well I'm sure glad that didn't happen during the fight! Not too shabby eh? I think next time we could do it even faster."

Layne laughed as he stood up again, "You think so? Maybe it would go better when we know what's going on and aren't blindsided by it. We were... A man down..." He trailed off, mentally slapping himself as he shook his head quickly. He vaguely heard mention of a ride back to the camp, but he was already running off in the other direction, "I gotta check on Raynor!"

He ran off on shaking legs back through the forest, making his way as quickly as he could towards their fallen comrade, rummaging around in the pack on the side of his waist to dig for supplies. Things that weren't as quick to help during combat, but still... Carrying them gave him some comfort, there were some times where magic wasn't always the best solution to one's problems. Once he had found where Raynor fell, he set off on trying to find the wounded part of the man, not to mention his mount. Most of the blood seemed to be coming from his chest, and sure enough, there was a large wound there. He started to clean it up with a cloth and some water, working at it slowly to get a better idea of what was wrong.

It was a slow process, between cleaning the wound, a little bit of magic to jump start the healing process, and some vulnerary salve going over the wound to hopefully bring it back together, but the last thing he did was pull out some dried herbs, a little grumble escaping the cleric as he examined them. Normally he would want to add them to some boiling water and have that drunk as a tea, but... With desperate times. He stuffed some of the herbs into Raynor's mouth, hoping that he could ease them down steadily as he worked, mumbling to himself, "Come on, come on... Can't have this..."

As the beast was finally felled, Ada felt the effects of her magic wear off, letting her breathe a sigh of relief... Quickly followed by her falling face-first into the dirt. She was alive. Everyone was alive, if Layne running off to take care of Raynor had anything to do with it. Hopefully. Barely managing to flip herself over onto her back, Ada lifted her hand up in a fist to the other Falcons, grinning weakly. 

"We made it, guys... We made it through with fewer brushes with death than normal..." Ada lowered her arm with a groan, "Though I may just... nap until Layne gets back..."

Leon continued to stand at the ready, on lookout for any of the skeletons that were roughly around them. Though he was worried about them attacking, not only were they not heading towards them, but they had also seemed to stop. Leon let out a sigh of relief as he watched the zombies fall to the ground, no longer moving, and sheathed his blade. Though they were now out of immediate peril, Leon still didn't seem any less concerned with the situation at hand. Yue and Raynor were still in critical condition, and he had to make sure that they were still seen to and taken care of before their wounds got any worse. Thankfully, before he could even really start moving, Rona had flown into the scene.

As the girl gave her aid to Yue, the young leader looked to the archer saying, "yeah. The monster's have been taken care of. Sorry, that I couldn't do more to keep you safe. And thanks." Looking back to Rona he said, "you too. Sorry that I couldn't help aid you in fighting the beast. But, good job in defeating it." Looking at Layne rushing past them he then looked to other two before saying, "we need to get patched up too." 

Edda, meanwhile, weakly pumped her fist into the air alongside Alexis and just said, "um, yeah. Woo." Though the Pegasus Knight had then fallen onto her face, Edda didn't seem to react much to it, instead having the nervous expression she had worn all fight on her face. She nodded in agreement as Alexis mentioned about it being a sign of things to come. Edda had never seen such a beast in her life as well, and the only place she had heard talk of such shadowy creatures existing with the crystal forest. And that place was as unholy as they came, so for such creatures and ones that didn't even fully match what little she had heard...the thought was unsettling to say the least.

The girl seemed unsettled by this discussion entirely, though seemed to be pulled out of it as Alexis offered to give her a ride back to the camp. Suddenly remembering who it was she was talking to, Edda pulled up her hood and looked away. "I'm fine walking back," her tone was dismissive though also sounded as though she was forcibly making it so. As she glanced back, Edda saw the Shaman lie down on the ground. Flatly the girl said, "she might, though." 

Chapter 7 - Traitors

Date: 28th of Aeis, Year  967, Fall 
Time: 10:17 AM

With the dust having settled on the fight, the group had gone back to camp and rested for the night. After getting up, the group soon made their way across the river. While it was deep enough to not be easily walked through, and thus those who didn't know how to swim would have trouble, the group was equipped with two fliers and thus were able to easily ferry themselves across if they so chose. Gojira would have some struggles, but ultimately manage to get across. With that all over and done with, Leon simply looked at the map and said, "Enta's only a few days more from where we are." With that, the boy elected to start the march, the group resuming their journey to the port town. 

"I'm fine walking back,"

"Oh you're no fun." Alexis teased.

"she might, though." 

Oh, that's right. Alexis followed Edda's gaze to the downed Ada. She frowned. Was it just the monsters that wore her out? She had always heard that dark magic drained your energy and soul to use. If that was the case then even more than usual she had to help this girl out. "Alright, sunshine, this is no place for a nap." She said and, with surprising strength, lifted Ada up in her arms. She easily carried the girl over to Tana. "Room for one more, girl?" Alexis said as she positioned Ada up on Tana before climbing behind the girl.

With that done she took to the sky and flew the two of them up and out of the area. Going back to the camp.

---

"Enta's only a few days more from where we are."

"Onwards!" Alexis called out. She had elected to walk instead of riding Tana and was marching along near the front. Though she continued to turn around to talk, and subsequently nearly fall over, on the way. "Hey, you know what we could use? Some marching music." Upon saying that she went over towards Tana to find an instrument. "Hey, anyone got any requests? Shout em out and I'll try and nail it."

"I...I already have a vulnerary. So I'm sorry for using yours."

"Aha, no, no need." Rona said. "I'm fine without." She had honestly forgotten she was even keeping that with her until now. There was no reason for her to use it. Why spend time she could be using to fight for that? If the enemy was dead then she wouldn't have to worry about her own health.

"Oh! I-Is the fighting over then?"

"It is. The beast is slain. It was rather easy, actually!" She didn't have to mention how she had failed to kill it herself. She didn't need them thinking her too weak.

Leon apologized for not being able to help with the fight but Rona waved him off. It was unusual for her to see a commander apologize. They were the ones who got to make the decisions. What did they have to apologize for?

She hung back as Layne came in to heal everyone, hoping to avoid notice, though she knew eventually he would force her to undergo healing as well.

Even though she hadn't earned it.

---

With Alexis on the ground Rona was glad to be able to be the only one in the air. It made her feel like she was doing something. Still, she kept low, close to the rest, just the same. There didn't seem to be much around at the moment so she should be nearby in case she was needed.

She heard Alexis's words and almost scoffed. What kind of warrior played music? Was her first thought. Which was quickly followed by "A better one than you apparently." She couldn't forget how much better the other girl had fared in the previous battle. She had slain so many of the enemy so quickly.

Rona knew it wasn't due to their mounts. Cormag was superior in every way to that pony so it had to have been Rona herself.

She had almost felt relief, as twisted as that was, when Aleithe left. It meant that she was the only flier the group had. But now they had gained another superior one. Was it really only Cormag that made her useful? All these other airborne fighters were superior to her despite her superior mount.

Would she ever stand above the others? Or would she continue to fall behind?

"Aha, no, no need." Rona said. "I'm fine without."

"O-okay," Yue hesitated, then took back her vulnerary. "Th-thanks, Rona," she blushed. Wow, she's so cool and strong, she doesn't even need a vulnerary. Did she manage this fight without having to be healed at all then? Or perhaps she just thinks that others might need it more? Either way, Yue was impressed.

Leon glanced at Yue, answering her next question, "yeah. The monster's have been taken care of. Sorry, that I couldn't do more to keep you safe. And thanks." Looking back to Rona he said, "you too. Sorry that I couldn't help aid you in fighting the beast. But, good job in defeating it." Looking at Layne rushing past them he then looked to other two before saying, "we need to get patched up too."

"It is. The beast is slain. It was rather easy, actually!"

"Oh wow, that fast," Yue breathed. "That's impressive."

Eventually, Layne got around to healing everybody. The archer accepted being healed with little more than some squirming. While she knew it was necessary, she still felt uncomfortable at the sensation.

--

The next morning, as they crossed the river, Yue briefly considered lying and saying she couldn't swim so Rona would fly her over, but immediately afterward felt her face flush in embarrassment. No, no, she couldn't take Rona's time away from somebody who actually couldn't swim, and what if she got paired with Alexis instead? Mind made up, the silver-haired girl swam across the river with all the ease of somebody who had spent most of her life outdoors. She watched Gojira struggle with some worry, and ended up swimming nearby just in case she was needed, but the lizard eventually did manage the crossing.

With that all over and done with, Leon simply looked at the map and said, "Enta's only a few days more from where we are."

"Oh...that's not that far..." The archer felt a little reluctant to leave the wilderness so soon--she was finally starting to get used to moving long distances again--but she knew that the others probably wanted to see civilization again.

"Onwards!" Alexis called out. She had elected to walk instead of riding Tana and was marching along near the front. Though she continued to turn around to talk, and subsequently nearly fall over, on the way. "Hey, you know what we could use? Some marching music." Upon saying that she went over towards her pegasus, Tana, to find an instrument. "Hey, anyone got any requests? Shout em out and I'll try and nail it."

"M-m-m-marching music?" Yue stuttered. I could sing maybe too...though I've never sang in front of people before...but the animals seemed to like it...would Rona like it too? Seeing Rona's expression, her face fell, and she decided against it. "A-anything is fine...I guess."