Sign in to follow this  
Summer Darj

World Legacy Level 9s

A set of WL-related maindeck Level 9 monsters were released in DANE, specifically Idlee, Deus X-Krawler and Mardark, all of them from different WL archetypes, and the latter 2 sharing a floating effect. IDK if more Level9s with a similar pattern will be released in the future, but for now these inspired me to make a couple more for other WL archetypes. I may expand on this set as more ideas come to mind.

Mekk-Knight Black Zenith
LIGHT/Psychic/Effect/Level 9
2200/3000
If 2 or more cards are in the same column, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand) in that column. You can only Special Summon "Mekk-Knight Black Zenith" once per turn this way. Once per turn, when a card effect that was activated on your opponent's side of the field and in the same column as this card resolves, you can negate that effect. If this card on the field is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can add, from your Deck to your hand, 1 Level 9 monster with a different original Type and Attribute than this card. You can only use this effect of "Mekk-Knight Black Zenith" once per turn.

Orcust Saxophone Succubus
DARK/Machine/Effect/Level 9
1900/3000
You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 of your banished DARK Machine monsters, except "Orcust Saxophone Succubus" ; you cannot Special Summon monsters for the rest of this turn, except DARK monsters, also send that target to the GY. If this card on the field is destroyed by battle or card effect: You can add, from your Deck to your hand, 1 Level 9 monster with a different original Type and Attribute than this card. You can only use each effect of "Orcust Saxophone Succubus" once per turn.

Flavor & trivia:
- For the Mekk I went with amber because it close to the orange color, the one that is assigned to the Mekk-Knights' WL Machine, the shield. Besides, according to the YGO wikia, Mardark comes from the green Guardragon, and by extension the green WL Machine. Although another option is black in reference to the World Legacy - World Key.
- Tried to follow the name pattern of "Orcust [musical instrument] [creature]" and the last 2 words starting with the same letter as seen in Brass and Harp, but couldn't come up with anything else that I liked enough. Another idea is Piano Phantom but not really digging it. Besides, it's just a name, the main part of this card as well as the Mekk is the effect, intended to be flavorful enough for their archetypes.
- Since both X-Krawler and Mardark have 3000 DEF, I figured I could give 3000 DEF to these ones as well to suggest a pattern/trait.
- Amber and Saxophone still have different Attribute/Type combinations from X-Krawler and Mardark so they can all still search each other with their signature float effects. Saxophone cannot search Idlee, however.

Thoughts?

Change log:
28/10/2019
- Added and OPT clause to the continuous negation effect of Amber.
- Reduced the ATK of Amber from 2400 to 2200. Now it has the same ATK as Yellow, and the same DEF as Orange, for a little bit of extra flavor.
- Reduced to number of maximum number targets for the first effect of Saxophone from 2 to 1.

29/10/2019
- Renamed Amber Evening into Black Zenith to reference World Legacy - World Key's black color and follow the "1 Mekk for each WL piece and their respective colors" theme going on.

Edited by Darj

Mekknight Amber Evening while very solid for the archetype... I can imagine the frustration of  Decks that rely on only 1 EMZ needing to deal with this. World_Legacy's_Memory becomes more significant going first since you can Special Summon this right when your opponent is trying to pull off any maneuvers with the EMZ... I am not sure what degree of magnitude this could have an the meta, but it is worrisome to say the least.  I guess at the very least there is some leeway to get around the effect for Decks that can handle this kind of adversity by simply shifting their attention to the other EMZ (provided it is empty) and one isn't always going to draw into World Legacy's Memory.

Orcust Saxophone Succubus... Seems to have to the potential to be really obnoxious just from knowing how well Orcust can recycle their plays. This expands a new layer of the grinding capabilities to the archetype on top of giving Orcust more means to ladder into things like Topologic_Bomber_Dragon or Orcustrion.. While really good for the archetype, I would be hesitant to give this to Orcust.

I do appreciate incorporating the remaining archetypes that have yet to have post WL flavoring though.

Edited by BGMキャノン

7 minutes ago, BGMキャノン said:

Mekknight Amber Evening while very solid for the archetype... I can imagine the frustration of  Decks that rely on only 1 EMZ needing to deal with this. World_Legacy's_Memory becomes more significant going first since you can Special Summon this right when your opponent is trying to pull off any maneuvers with the EMZ... I am not sure what degree of magnitude this could have an the meta, but it is worrisome to say the least.  I guess at the very least there is some leeway to get around the effect for Decks that can handle this kind of adversity by simply shifting their attention to the other EMZ (provided it is empty) and one isn't always going to draw into World Legacy's Memory.

Orcust Saxophone Succubus... Seems to have to the potential to be really obnoxious just from knowing how well Orcust can recycle their plays. This expands a new layer of the grinding capabilities to the archetype on top of giving Orcust more means to ladder into things like Topologic_Bomber_Dragon or Orcustrion.. While really good for the archetype, I would be hesitant to give this to Orcust.

I do appreciate incorporating the remaining archetypes that have yet to have post WL flavoring though.

Indeed, I am concerned about Saxophone too because Orcust are currently top tier already and I don't think they need nor deserve any more support. Hence why I went for an underwhelming ATK as well as a more situational effect compared to the other maindeck Orcusts. I considered at first returning only 1 monsters to the GY but I figured I could push it to up to 2 in order to keep it still good if Orcusts ever get neutered by the banlist, but maybe I should keep it to just 1.

As for Amber, yeah, dropping it during the opponent's turn with Memory and other effects can be nasty, but hoped the archetype could afford a little bit of damage + stun power since they currently aren't topping, plus the negation effect IMO embodies the archetype as a whole as it references their column-based stun Spell/Traps. If I should nerf it, I'm not sure how. Perhaps negating only during the turn it's Summoned? But then it wouldn't work as nicely for repositioning combos with Indigo and Purple.

5 minutes ago, Darj said:

Indeed, I am concerned about Saxophone too because Orcust are currently top tier already and I don't think they need nor deserve any more support. Hence why I went for an underwhelming ATK as well as a more situational effect compared to the other maindeck Orcusts. I considered at first returning only 1 monsters to the GY but I figured I could push it to up to 2 in order to keep it still good if Orcusts ever get neutered by the banlist, but maybe I should keep it to just 1.

As for Amber, yeah, dropping it during the opponent's turn with Memory and other effects can be nasty, but hoped the archetype could afford a little bit of damage + stun power since they currently aren't topping, plus the negation effect IMO embodies the archetype as a whole as it references their column-based stun Spell/Traps. If I should nerf it, I'm not sure how. Perhaps negating only during the turn it's Summoned? But then it wouldn't work as nicely for repositioning combos with Indigo and Purple.

For Amber what about something along the lines like those Mermail equips (e.g. Abyss-scale_of_the_Mizuchi)  perhaps make it negate upon something resolving in its column, but as an OPT Continuous effect?

Edited by BGMキャノン

1 minute ago, BGMキャノン said:

For Amber what about something along the lines like those Mermail equips (e.g. Abyss-scale_of_the_Mizuchi)  perhaps make it negate upon something resolving in its column, but as an OPT Continuous effect.

I'm digging the idea, yeah. I will go for that, as well as limiting the # of targets of Succubus' effect to 1. Thanks!