Sign in to follow this  
Truffle Shuffle

Hopping Vampires (LV Monsters)

Spoiler

2JAZ8j2

Hopping Vampire LV3

DARK | Level 3 | Zombie/Effect

ATK: 1500 | DEF: 500

Once per turn: When this card is Normal Summoned; you can send 1 Zombie-type monster from your Deck or hand to the GY, but the sent monster cannot be Summoned this turn. During your Standby Phase: You can shuffle this card on the field into the Deck; Special Summon 1 “Hopping Vampire LV5” from your GY.

Spoiler

2N2j6oR

Hopping Vampire LV5

DARK | Level 5 | Zombie/Effect

ATK: 2000 | DEF: 1500

Once per turn: You can send 1 Zombie-type monster from your Deck or hand to the GY to declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell or Trap); your opponent sends 1 card of that type from their Deck to the GY. During your Standby Phase: You can shuffle this card on the field into the Deck; Special Summon 1 “Hopping Vampire LV7” from your GY.

Spoiler

2PvzqA6

Hopping Vampire LV7

DARK | Level 7 | Zombie/Effect

ATK: 2500 | DEF: 2000

Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned by "Hopping Vampire LV5". Once per turn during your Main Phase: Declare 1 type of card (Monster, Spell, or Trap); your opponent sends 1 card of that type from their Deck to the GY. Your opponent cannot remove monsters from their GY that were sent there by battle with a Zombie-type monster or by a Zombie-type monster's card effect.

Happy Halloween everyone. This was something I had in mind to make for a while but I finally buckled down and got them done in time for the holiday. Took a long time to get them all drawn, but I'm glad I went through with it. I always liked Jiangshi in Chinese folklore and I was interested in adding something to the Vampire archetype. Coincidentally, as many Vampire monsters are styled after Castlevania characters, and there happens to be a Jiangshi boss in one of the games, I was able to use its color scheme for my Hopping Vampire.

First time I've made a LV Monster. It's another older feature of the game I remember fondly so I wanted to make one of my own. The Hopping Vampires would be unique as the only Zombie-type LV Monsters and the only LV Monsters (unless I'm blind and wasn't paying attention in my research) that summon each other from the graveyard instead of the hand or deck. A bit of a hurdle, but if you can get the LV7 version out on the field you can potentially lock down your opponent's ability to remove cards from their own graveyard. If you see anything that could be improved upon in any of these cards, give me a holler, and I'll see what I can do. In the meantime I'll post the card images in the art gallery, you guys are free to use them for your own cards if you want. Thanks for any feedback and have a Happy Halloween.

IMO the drawings look great! LV5 and 7 are totally waifu material. LV3 is less appealing but seems you intended for her physical appearance to be refined, as well as grow on some sizes, as she levels up. I also like the touch of the amulet displaying Level stars, that also match their Levels.
For the name, couldn't you have just gone for "Vampire Jiangshi"?

The text of the effects can be polished a bit. For example, in LV3, regular OPTs are redundant in "When this card is Normal Summoned" effects since NSs are OPT already. If what you want is for the effect to be used OPT even if you NS multiples of it on a turn, then you will need a hard OPT clause. But IMO if you are running effects to NS multiples, you deserve to be able to use the effect for each NS.
Also adding "-Type" when mentioned monster Types is outdated. Nowadays it's written as Warrior monster, Zombie monster, etc.

As fr the effects, Zombies like milling effects so you can't go wrong with that. LV3 has some restrictions but that's understandable if you don't want to outclass key Zombies like Unizombie. LV5 is more flexible but it will require a Tribute for its NS or SS if with LV3 or Zombie support, and most likely the latter will be the most effective way to play it and use it as an extender with the extra mill. Not to mention that as Level 5 it can combo with Vampire Sucker to NS it by Tributing an opponent's monster.
But the LV7 is the most problematic, IMO. It doesn't provide any set-up, milling or otherwise plusing effect, and the stun effect is a pain because then you would have to keep track of all monsters that were sent to the GY by Zombies. While it's a clever effect, it may be annoying if you want to be serious about cheating. Remembering ED monsters in the GY that were not Summoned properly is tricky enough already. Not saying it's a bad effect, it's just more complicated than it may seem. I don't find it rewarding enough to run it, except as a 1-of on the off chance your LV5 tech in regular Zombie builds gets the chance to evolve into it, and I wouldn't run too many of the LV5.
IMO if you give LV7 a milling or removal effect to combine with its stun effect, then you would be onto something, although I'm not sure of what that removal effect could be. Maybe take some tips from Vampire Kingdom and give it a hard OPT destroying effect each time a card is sent from the opponent's deck to the GY? Then it would combo with its current effect as well as other Vampire milling effects.

Thanks for the help! I'll try to touch them up a bit soon. The "Type"-type thing is an old habit I'm still trying to get out of, thanks for reminding me. Even though "Vampire Jiangshi" probably makes more sense compared to the other monsters in the archetype and how their names are structured, I dunno I just kind of prefer it as Hopping Vampire. Sounds better to me for some reason.

I'll take your advice and get rid of LV3's OPT restriction, thanks. As for LV7, do you think at the very least I should copy over the same mill effect from LV5 (once per turn you can send one of your own zombies to the GY to declare a card and your opponent has to send that to the GY, etc)? Or even with that added would it still need some more oomf on top of it?

1 hour ago, Truffle Shuffle said:

I'll take your advice and get rid of LV3's OPT restriction, thanks. As for LV7, do you think at the very least I should copy over the same mill effect from LV5 (once per turn you can send one of your own zombies to the GY to declare a card and your opponent has to send that to the GY, etc)? Or even with that added would it still need some more oomf on top of it?

Regarding LV3, it wasn't really a suggestion ^^" just acknowledging how it didn't get in the territory of Unizombie and threat with outclassing it. It doesn't need an improvement IMO.
As for LV7, yes, giving it a milling effect like LV5, and maybe improve it a bit somehow, would do the trick, as evolving from LV5 means you get an extra mil without needing to Summon a 2nd LV5. Another idea is forcing the opponent to send a card of the declared type from either Deck, hand or field, but that + the mill would effectively be a +2 because this is Zombies we are talking about, and they plus from mils.