Mettaton NEO

halloween That's All, Folks! (Halloween 2019 Wrap-up & Unmasking)

Monster of the Year  

16 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who was the best monster of 2019?

• Ainz Ooal Gown
    • Box Ghost
    • Dullahan
    • Kurumi Ebisuzawa
    • Larry the Cucumber
    • Post-Crisis Carlos
    • Segata Sanshiro
    • Sou Hiyori
    • Spooky
    • Uncle Death
    • Yami Bakura

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/05/2019 at 11:00 AM

And that concludes our program for this year! It wasn't as bombastic as some previous years, but we certainly improved over last year's flop. Friendships were made, quests were embarked upon, and multiple lives were nearly lost! Now that's what I call: Drama! Romance! Bloodshed! Now then, with this year's festivities concluded, it's time to move on to the final stages of this year's Halloween Masquerade. Monster Hunt prizes, the Monster of the Year poll, and the annual unmasking. This year's prizes were relatively small, but even smaller was the amount of players who participated. Only two players submitted monster guesses at all, but both of them managed to pinpoint every monster's identities within the first few days of the event! And so, @REP and @LordCowCow shall each be awarded the grand prize of 1,500 points!

Moving on down the agenda is the Monster of the Year poll. I would like to encourage anyone who plans to vote in this poll to vote before reading the true identities of the monsters that will inevitably be listed below, to avoid potential bias in favor of or against certain players. Additionally, monster players are forbidden from voting for their own monster! There isn't any prize for winning this poll, but somebody always makes a poll like this after the Masquerade ends, so I figured I'll just do it myself and save everyone else the effort! What a wonderful host I am!

Last and not least is the unmasking! This is the part of the program where the players who participated in this fine event will come in and reveal who they played as this year. Of course I won't do that myself! Where's the fun in that? And so, let's give a round of applause once again to our player cast! Will the below members please reveal their monster identities now?

@Blake @British Soul @Forgotten Home @MetalSonic @Mr Spaz @Mr. Hyde @Nyx @radio414 @REP @Thar @Yui

Last and not least is a more personal confession. Remember at the start of the event when I said "I look most forward to working with all of you one last time?" Well darlings, I don't know if you know this, but this form - as well as the EX form I used last year - can be quite tolling on my battery. Sadly, I will not be able to participate in future events. This is my final adieu, good people of the Neo Card Maker forums!

Hopefully you all enjoyed the event! Please do look forward to next year's Halloween Masquerade as well, even if it won't have a host as drop-dead gorgeous as I am! Merry Christmas, everybody~!

I was Segata, but really. Is anyone surprised by that? I'll admit that my performance was lackluster at best and I'm not gonna make any excuses for it (but the ad with Uncle Death was fun to write). All I can do is promise to do better next year.

As for my favorite, it was Uncle Death at the start, but after a while, I grew a soft spot for Kurumi. I don't know. I just liked her better.

Edited by MetalSonic

It's me - Uncle Death!

This event has been a blast, good work all round.

I hope you all enjoyed my performance! I'm looking forward to looking at the reviews that people tend to do.

Also so glad I got everyone on my second try - maybe next time I can get first ?

Hai hai, Kurumi de~su!

...I'm never doing that again.

Anyway yeah, I was Kurumi, likely to the surprise of absolutely nobody who has had any meaningful interaction with me ever. Honestly, playing her was pretty tough since there's a lot of shit that goes on in the Gakkou Gurashi manga and I wasn't sure what to take from early parts and later parts. I'd totally suggest reading it though! It's good stuff! My favorite monster was Uncle Death at first, but Larry has since taken that spot. More on this a bit later when I post my annual monster reviews thread.

And the real person behind Post-Crisis Carlos is...

Image result for unmasking gif

Me.

Wasn't really sure how I would pull this one off, but it was just something I thought of, chuckled at, and was like "alright, this should be interesting" and just went with. In the end, I guess I could've done something a bit more... I dunno, upbeat? Fun? More involved? *shrugs* Either way, it was pretty fun to do, albeit a bit dark and depressing, but eh.

Overall, pretty fun Masquerade this year. Good job to those involved, including staff.

Edited by Thar

2 minutes ago, Yui said:

Hai hai, Kurumi de~su!

...I'm never doing that again.

Anyway yeah, I was Kurumi, likely to the surprise of absolutely nobody who has had any meaningful interaction with me ever. Honestly, playing her was pretty tough since there's a lot of shit that goes on in the Gakkou Gurashi manga and I wasn't sure what to take from early parts and later parts. I'd totally suggest reading it though! It's good stuff! My favorite monster was Uncle Death at first, but Larry has since taken that spot. More on this a bit later when I post my annual monster reviews thread.

Well, you got me on that because I thought it was Nyx.

Just now, MetalSonic said:

Well, you got me on that because I thought it was Nyx.

Nope, it was me. I'm flattered that Kurumi was your favorite monster, by the way!

Was going to wait until more showed up, but decided to go right on ahead... IT WAS ME!!! I WAS IVAN OO- ....yeah, won't continue on that one, not this time. Now, lemme just start by saying this:

9 minutes ago, MetalSonic said:

I was Segata, but really. Is anyone surprised by that? I'll admit that my performance was lackluster at best and I'm not gonna make any excuses for it (but the ad with Uncle Death was fun to write). All I can do is promise to do better next year.

THIS actually surprises me. I honestly thought Segata would've been someone else, so kudos to you on keeping me guessing. I actually enjoyed you donning the role of SEGA Saturn's spokesperson.

>Uncle Death and Kurumi
These were two that...well, the first one I guessed almost immediately (along with one other). That reason being because I've seen the one avatar that Uncle Death used one other time...and that's when REP used it. And mind you, this was a LONG while ago, surprisingly I remembered it.

As for Kurumi...sorta figured it would be Yui. It just screams something he'd use.

>Carlos
...yo, Thar, that was pretty weird...like I dunno what even that was. So no, I didn't expect you.

(More to come in another post when others reveal)

2 minutes ago, Chaos Sonic said:

Was going to wait until more showed up, but decided to go right on ahead... IT WAS ME!!! I WAS IVAN OO- ....yeah, won't continue on that one, not this time. Now, lemme just start by saying this:

THIS actually surprises me. I honestly thought Segata would've been someone else, so kudos to you on keeping me guessing. I actually enjoyed you donning the role of SEGA Saturn's spokesperson.

>Uncle Death and Kurumi
These were two that...well, the first one I guessed almost immediately (along with one other). That reason being because I've seen the one avatar that Uncle Death used one other time...and that's when REP used it. And mind you, this was a LONG while ago, surprisingly I remembered it.

As for Kurumi...sorta figured it would be Yui. It just screams something he'd use.

>Carlos
...yo, Thar, that was pretty weird...like I dunno what even that was. So no, I didn't expect you.

(More to come in another post when others reveal)

Oh, um, ok then. Next time, I promise to be even more obvious. Who did you think I was?

Edited by MetalSonic

1 minute ago, MetalSonic said:

Oh, um, ok then. Next time, I promise to be even more obvious. Who did you think I was?

For some reason, either Ainz or Bakura. I dunno why, but that's what happened.

And don't be sorry (or promise to be more obvious next time)! These types of twists in reveals is the best part of these events!

I'm no good at greetings... Qwerty?

Greet one another with a kiss of love. Peace to all of you who are in Christ.
-1 Peter 5:14 (NIV)

I was Larry the Cucumber. Surprise! Except not a surprise, I'm sure, given that I play a similar character in the Yugioh Skies RP so I'm sure my fellow RPers figured it out right away. They're both Christians and they both get the long posts. It probably didn't take long.

Yeah, basically the idea was, hey, I've got experience playing Christian characters, I was raised pretty hard as a Lutheran (up to and including, like, a decade of an Outdoorsy Bible-y Summer Camp (it wasn't an indoctrination. I'm fine. I'm fine)), and most importantly, I'm long-winded enough online to at least look like I know what I'm talking about when people inevitably ask "the tough questions" in the inevitable Larry AMA.

And all that worked! And what didn't (specifically: the game thread and maybe the second half of "Rescuing Larry"), I can pretty easily identify where it happened and if anything needs fixed for next time. But I had a lot of fun finding silly things and answering questions and wondering if vegetables have souls (they don't, according to Veggietales' creators. Weak Source But Still A Source Larry wouldn't lie about that) and generally being cheery and upbeat. It was difficult when schoolwork got in the way but I tried to keep myself to one status post, one update to the game thread, and one Miscellaneous post a day. As long as I did that (and managed to keep my AMA running when people asked something), I'd be fine.

I probably could have interacted with other monsters more. Sorry about that! Those that were posting seemed like they were doing pretty great.

So about those specifics:

The game thread was kind of cobbled together at the last minute, like "Oh, I have all these points and nothing to use them on, what do?" so the fact that people engaged at all was gratifying to me. I'm not going to promise that I'll try harder in that regard next time, but everyone else did a lot of things that I'll take into consideration. By the way, the last day didn't get an image (it was probably going to be the "Allow us to introduce ourselves" template) because I was... otherwise engaged.

I didn't mean for Larry to get posessed. I was brainstorming status ideas and remembered that Cowcow had given Larry the Necronomicon, and I figured I'd engage with that. People seemed to respond pretty well, so I did a follow-up that night which blossomed into the first Miscellaneous post a few hours later (I may be blurring the timeline a bit but :shrug emoji:). That also got a good response and I noticed Kurumi engaging with it, so Yui and I got together on Discord to form the cryptograms.

I think it overall went pretty well, though I did have to laugh when Mr Spaz commented something like "I was raised Catholic and I like cryptograms." My only weakness! There was an engagement dropoff in the final meta-puzzle, which I'm not super sure how I could have handled better. The first hints, in retrospect, were probably kind of garbage, but the last one also felt too obvious? If there's anything I'd like feedback on, it's probably that.

A couple final remarks. First:

r9VJBEs.png
I see this, and I agree with you. If you want my opinion, there should probably be a rule against using Zalgo in post titles? Like, not in the bodies of posts, but I can see how it could get out of hand if more people did it.

Second, because I insist on citing sources for these things, the first cryptogram was Matthew 6:9-13 (NIV), the second was Luke 4:34-35 (NIV), and the last was Psalm 23:4 (NIV). Larry's first "posessed" post came from Caleb's dying speech at the climax of The VVitch (written and directed by Robert Eggers), and his second was, as pointed out, most of the final paragraph from Thomas De Quincy's Levana and Our Ladies of Sorrow, which you can read here if you're curious. It's not too long.

Anyway, I've probably rambled on long enough. Glad you all seemed to enjoy it, and if you didn't, well, I still love you.

Edited by radio414

Well, here I am!  The one and only Hyde playing as the one and only Lich Lord you love!

Png

With my late entrance, and lollygagging, I suppose you might have realized that I was indeed the Great Ainz Ooal Gown.  (I conquered NCM by the by.  Y'all didn't even win my little game :/)

Greetings mortals, to the surprise of no one, I was Bakura. It was fun going back to watching the English dub of YGO to get a feel for him before the event. I thought the Dark Sanctuary idea was a fun one for a monster game though to be fair.

I was Dullahan... and I probably won't be doing that again because anything I tried to do, well, anything with it, I always got distracted or busy with school work... so yeah... I have many reasons to despise my life.

Not a monster but feeling like dropping my thoughts, if I am allowed.
Overall it was an ejoyable event for me. Nothing too crazy like other years, but by all means entertaining. Uncle Death, Kurumi and Spooky were my leading favorites at the beginning, but the latter 2 gradually lost their appeal while Uncle consistently remained on top. Carlos and Bakura were doing well IMO, and Pepsiman and Ainz could have been just as good if only they had been more active.
As a NCM resident I tried to do my part by joining most of the games and be active in them as much as possible in order to support the event and the monsters in their antics, and I did have fun with them, but sadly some of the games didn't really pick up in activity, especifically Spooky's and Larry's, while Ainz' started late, and I didn't find chance for dueling otherwise I would have challenged the Box Ghost and Spooky as those 2 were open for monster duels. Maybe next year monster duels can be supported more, going as far as giving monsters 1~3 custom cards now that DB has them implemented for extra kicks.
However, I did miss Kurum's incident, and frankly didn't feel like joining the cipher game of Larry. Speaking of Larry, I for one wasn't a big fan, as I'm not familiar with his source series and I'm not too fond of taking religion too lightly, as in for jokes or games, and thus I found it mostly as a silly character. Makes me think it's something northwestern citizens get in a different way.

I was not expecting to be as active as I was during this event, otherwise I would have applied for a monster position. I even toyed with the idea of being a returning monster, but in the end I wasn't sure if I would have been active enough. Part of me feels that had I been approached by the staff to join as a returning monster, it would have motivated me to do so, but alas, such thing didn't happen. Perhaps next year now that I know I can make time for NCM even when I expected myself to be busy.

I didn't feel like playing the guessing game, and didn't even pay much attention to the list of participating members, but in the last days I got better ideas of who could be behind the monsters' masks. For instance, I suspected Nyx being Spooky since in the last days her behavior became similar to his. And I wasn't even sure if Yui was participating as a monster, otherwise him being Kurumi would have been an easy guess for me. And I figured Forgotten Home was Dullahan, confirmed just now, because both were both equally inactive during the past week.

I was Sou.

The plan for the character was to be sweet and docile for the first half, then super suspicious and antagonistic of the popular monsters in the second half. Insisting they were up to no good, that people shouldn’t trust them.

buuuuut I was supposed to be done moving before the event started, but complications came up and my move started about halfway through. I left on Tuesday, but I didn’t have a computer at all on Monday, after finishing up some RP posts.

This doesn’t really forgive Sou being a failure, but I’m sorry I wasn’t able to fulfill my role.

8 hours ago, Chaos Sonic said:

>Carlos

Yeah it was, wasn't it? I've noticed the rest of the monsters were just... that character. They didn't put a twist on it like I did. Either way, I didn't really know what it was, either. The idea was that Carlos, some kid from a kid's educational cartoon that loves to tell puns, was in a deadly crash that only he survived, which scarred him for life. However, he still tried to carry that happy, pun-spewing personality that he always had, but this other side of him that experienced death spoke subconsciously with a nihilistic mindset.

I dunno, it seemed pretty last minute despite how much time I had to prepare (which I didn't do, lol) so it is what it is.

I was the Box Ghost.
I set up a monster duel that only one person tried.

This was the Deck:

Spoiler

QybFips.png

List:

Spoiler

BOXer x21
Mystic Box x3
Fairy Box x2
Punch-in-the-Box x3
Burying Mirror Force
Gaia Power x3
Invigoration x3
MST x3
Raigeki

I could've sworn there were more Box themed cards in the game.

I probably should've tried doing more things.

4 hours ago, Darj said:

Part of me feels that had I been approached by the staff to join as a returning monster, it would have motivated me to do so, but alas, such thing didn't happen. Perhaps next year now that I know I can make time for NCM even when I expected myself to be busy.

Feel like I should clarify the returning monsters was probably a one-time thing, since it was in-theme with the "Year of Rebirth" label Blake had applied to 2019 events and ultimately how we started getting this event put together (for more details, see my monster review thread). I just got out of bed so maybe I'm being stupid and you mean as a new monster in 2020, but I felt like I should probably clear that little detail up when I saw people talk about it here and in the reviews thread.

6 hours ago, Yui said:

Feel like I should clarify the returning monsters was probably a one-time thing, since it was in-theme with the "Year of Rebirth" label Blake had applied to 2019 events and ultimately how we started getting this event put together (for more details, see my monster review thread). I just got out of bed so maybe I'm being stupid and you mean as a new monster in 2020, but I felt like I should probably clear that little detail up when I saw people talk about it here and in the reviews thread.

No, I did mean participating as a returning monster. Well, if this was the only chance to do, so that's a pity. There are plenty of character to try though, and I was interested in Gavrill mainly because I'm not nearly as antagonistic as she is and I feel practicing being more mean could be of use IRL, but there are many mean characters around.