Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy

Ashlyn, Dream Fairy

G3hnAkh.png

Ashlyn, Dream Fairy
LIGHT Level 3 [Fairy/Tuner/Effect] 0/1800

If a Trap Card is activated while you control a Set monster: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, then gain LP equal to the total ATK of all face-up monsters on the field, and if you do, set as many other face-up monsters as possible.

- - - - - -

A bit of a sucker for LP gain effects, and I am aware that Links make this hard to be a real huge disruptor nowadays unless timed really REALLY well, plus it asks for a Trap to trigger to top it off, but I didn't wanna compete with Nibiru entirely. 

Wanted to make an archetype of around 6 cards in terms of drawing the images and this is the first one I've gotten to ink and color in months, but I ended up only being able to complete 1. Hopefully I can rehabilitate my drawing habit a bit more from here xP

Edited by Sleepy

Well, that's a potentially big boon for Life Points. Unless maybe your opponent runs a Link-heavy Deck. And that consideration along with the Defense-changing I say balances stuff out. It does a lot, but it's very passive and specific on how to do this. I mean, you could pull this off with cards like Infinite Impermanence or Red Reboot. And with the latter, it'd really help with the activation cost. And I appreciate Tuners if they're not too restrictive. So I say this one's okay. Looks cute, and has a cute effect.

I would say Nyx got the right word to describe the card: cute. It's cute but rather difficult to use with effectiveness. Requiring a Set monster, a Normal Trap to activate, and this in hand can be rather situational. And then you have to give up the effect of the Normal Trap. The existence of Links don't help with the replaced effect, either. It can be improved, IMO. Heck I dare say you could get away with making it apply when either player activates a Normal Trap, or any Trap for that matter. That way it would be a cool and actually effective counter against most floodgates, Impermanence, Crackdown, etc. No need to clarify that it doesn't affect Counter Traps since as spell speed 2 it cannot respond to them anyway. It wouldn't be no Nibiru either due to requiring the activation of a Trap instead of 5+ Special Summons.

Not too keen on the stats because it's not really a Ghost girl despite being a Level 3 Tuner. Also, I find funny it has fairy in its name and yet it's a Spellcaster. LIGHT/Fairy or DARK/Spellcaster typings would give it a bit more of support, but LIGHT/Spellcaster doesn't xD

By the way, IMO you better add in the condition something like "while this card is in your hand" to be more PSCT friendly and clear up it's a from-hand effect, as may be misleading since at the beginning it looks like activates on the field, but then the replaced effect gives in that it's not supposed to be on field.

20 minutes ago, Darj said:

I would say Nyx got the right word to describe the card: cute. It's cute but rather difficult to use with effectiveness. Requiring a Set monster, a Normal Trap to activate, and this in hand can be rather situational. And then you have to give up the effect of the Normal Trap. The existence of Links don't help with the replaced effect, either. It can be improved, IMO. Heck I dare say you could get away with making it apply when either player activates a Normal Trap, or any Trap for that matter. That way it would be a cool and actually effective counter against most floodgates, Impermanence, Crackdown, etc. No need to clarify that it doesn't affect Counter Traps since as spell speed 2 it cannot respond to them anyway. It wouldn't be no Nibiru either due to requiring the activation of a Trap instead of 5+ Special Summons.

Not too keen on the stats because it's not really a Ghost girl despite being a Level 3 Tuner. Also, I find funny it has fairy in its name and yet it's a Spellcaster. LIGHT/Fairy or DARK/Spellcaster typings would give it a bit more of support, but LIGHT/Spellcaster doesn't xD

By the way, IMO you better add in the condition something like "while this card is in your hand" to be more PSCT friendly and clear up it's a from-hand effect, as may be misleading since at the beginning it looks like activates on the field, but then the replaced effect gives in that it's not supposed to be on field.

The flavor is that she moves through dreams and causes others to fall asleep (which is why she requires a Set monster and flips down any other possible monster out there).
She also heals LP because sleep is rest and rest replenishes, though it does it before the flipping bit for game-play reasons. Those bits got to stay xP

I guess I could make it trigger on any Trap without stripping off the Trap's effect. Especially because transforming an opponent's Trap effect would be weird for how THEY would resolve it anyways if I were to do "either player".

She's a healing kind that has to do with nice dreams so she can't be DARK. As for the Spellcaster vs Fairy bit, fair enough that if Fairy is in the name, she should probably be a Fairy xD

The PSCT I'm not so on board with. I did not save up samples but I think I've seen effects done in this sort of fashion. They'd be stating "from hand" twice in the effect in a bit of a pointless way if they did, and I don't think anybody reads the first bits of an effect and goes on to resolve it before reading the resolution/full effect. 

EDIT: 

Edited the Type and effect~

Edited by Sleepy

The flavor in the effects can stay, sure.

I see no conflict with resolving the effect of opponent Traps replaced with this effect. Other cards do similar things without issues. Keep cards like Artifact Durendal in mind, although to be fair Durendal only works on Normal Spell/Traps. And I wouldn't remove this part of the effect, as IMO is the best trait it would have if it can respond to opponent's Traps. The only weird part would be the opponent Special Summoning this card from your hand, but since the monster effect activates on hand it should be easier to specify which card is being Summoned. Something like "reveal this card in your hand; replace that Trap effect with. - Special Summon the "Ashlyn, Dream Fairy" revealed for this card's effect, and if you do..."

Didn't mean to suggest to make it DARK, just mentioned it would get a bit more support than LIGHT/Spellcaster. Then again, DARK is associated with night, and night with dreams :v

Indeed, in some cases the "from hand" seems redundant, but a key difference here is that the "Summon from hand" effect is in the replaced effect, but the effect doing the replacement still has to activate somewhere, and the way you wrote implies it does it on the field.

Anyway, I noticed you re-wrote the effect and it's no longer replacing anything, so the above no longer applies as well. Although IMO the replacement made the card more unique and it's something personally I would like for it to keep.

Edited by Darj