Sleepy

Kaiju-like Doodles

So I was watching this anime called "SSSS Gridman" last night... pretty much all in one sitting. Then I went out to look at the original live action sow from the early 90s (episode 1 of it at least). 
Then I went on to looking up Kaiju designs. None of my doodles are as awesomely detailed as the monsters I found, but still, it inspired me to try to sketch up a couple ideas xD

Spoiler

9wNOijR.jpg

I wanna do a few more later.
I wanna use them for card art too. The Yugioh Kaijus are pretty good art on their own merit but looking back they don't quite give me the same "Kaiju" feel I get from monsters from Tokusatsu shows. Also for flavor, since they are always wrecking the city I think the effect concept would be to destroy field spells to drop them on the board and get bonuses x different field spells in the GYs, or something along those lines. Might iron up the concept once I get around to finish the drawing part of it xP

2 of them I really like a lot: the beetle-thing with the pincers and the hammerhead with spinosaurus spine... They kind of capture the quirkiness in design in terms of how the Tokusatsu shows have their monsters as mishmash of all-sorts of things from nature. The thing of it is though is that these do stray away from the common design of the Kaiju in Yugioh as the exisiting ones look edgier and more menacing. Not saying that is a bad thing. But, it is certainly a thing to consider if you want the Kaiju to have similar design with the existing ones in the arch.

Nonetheless, I am eager to see what you have in mind for how to expand on Kaiju.... Considering how limited their playstyle is.

Edited by BGMキャノン

3 hours ago, BGMキャノン said:

2 of them I really like a lot: the beetle-thing with the pincers and the hammerhead with spinosaurus spine... They kind of capture the quirkiness in design in terms of how the Tokusatsu shows have their monsters as mishmash of all-sorts of things from nature. The thing of it is though is that these do stray away from the common design of the Kaiju in Yugioh as the exisiting ones look edgier and more menacing. Not saying that is a bad thing. But, it is certainty a thing to consider if you want the Kaiju to have similar design with the existing ones in the arch.

Nonetheless, I am eager to see what you have in mind for how to expand on Kaiju.... Considering how limited their playstyle is.

I think Yugioh's Kaijus are anatomically impressive and indeed look more threatening, but they don't give me the Tokusatsu Kaiju vibe. Even their King Gidora looks more like "C107" lite. And Gamaciel looks too clean and consistent xD
These are meant to look like they could be figures with limited articulations haha.
For the play-style, the idea I have is so different, though that'd be expected when Yugioh's Kaiju are based on the Godzilla series where a giant monster fights another one, as opposed to the Tokusatsu-like Kaijus that are monsters of the week meant to fight a giant mecha or sentai hero. I'd focus on the "destroys the city" aspect of it for a theme, xP

SSSS Gridman was so good!

AkaneXRikka

The second one I really, really, like. Though the end of the tail feels a bit off? And the claws might be a bit too...shrimpy lol

So far I like the one at the bottom-left the most. IDK if those are supposed to be crystals, but it would be cool if they were like rough rocks. Gives me a Tyranitar vibe.
Also couldn't help but notice some traits shared with the Abysstellas, specifically the mouth and eyes of the bottom-right one.