LordCowCow

Do You Complete Games?

Just was sorta curious. When you play games do you try to 100% it? Or do you just do bare minimum, or perhaps do some side things but usually don't go all the way?

Also if you have 100% games (or tried), what ones? What was it like?

Chances are I do closer to the bare minimum for most, but I'm sure that wasn't the case with Breath of the Wild. There were definitely some spots I left out, but well, they were a little too cryptic for my liking. And I ended up being able to do most of the Crash trilogy on the remake because despite it being made harder overall, enough aspects were easier on the fully completing it side of things... I just didn't fully do the last plane level in Crash 3. 

I might have a favorite game to just about 100%, Spyro 1. But I could never ever do the Flights. Especially the one in the Artisans, but that was never intended to be the first one, anyway. I was showed up, since Mirei was able to get into Gnasty's Loot. 

The only game I've ever gotten even close to 100% completion (for in-game stuff and not achievements) was Arkham Night. I got to where I needed maybe 2-3 more Riddler trophies before I decided it wasn't worth it. Other than that, completion is never, and I mean NEVER, a goal I strive to achieve in any game.

Depends on the type of game.

RPG? Probably not.

Platformer? Well, yeah, that's half the point.

I often try to 100% games, but usually to no avail. To my knowledge, the only game I've actually gotten 100% on is Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls, though I've gotten close on some other games before. Currently looking to 100% Dead Cells, but first I want to at least get to a skill level I'm happy with.

Generally, I try to.

Games like Skyrim where the entire point is procedurally generated content? Not so much. I did 100% Binding of Isaac Rebirth and Afterbirth, never got the DLC past that, so roguelikes aren't out of the question.

Uhhh, platformers/collect-a-thons are the other big one that I absolutely try to 100%. Currently I'm playing Luigi's Mansion 3 and that one is on the fast track to my attempts of 100% completion.

Thinking about it, I sometimes don't. I always try to go for a 100% unless it require multiple replays, like in some "Tales of" games where you get 1 X item per run but you can transfer them to the next replay and thus the more times you clear it, the more you stack. In those instances I stay interested in playing until after clearing a 2nd run, sometimes with an enabled harder mode.
However, there are games where I haven't even completed the normal run, because I get discouraged for missing a 1-time-only object you can get, not being able to pick a damn-hard-to-get item for a 100% collection, can't get past a boss or chokepoint, or simply lose interest. Metroid 2 Echoes, Maio RPG (try performing 100 super jumps >.>), Baten Kaitos and Riviera the Promised Land come to mind, respectively.
I have finished a handful of games, though. Most Mario and Zelda games for instance, as those rarely require re-runs, I can only think of Wind Waker to get the color camera earlier and take pictures of the first bosses. Another one I'm proud of is Lost in Shadows, but that didn't require any replays except for using quality-of-life weapons, and resorted to guides to get a couple of sneaky collectives. However, IDK if being unable to beat the expert ghosts in Mario Karts means the game isn't 100% complete yet, some of them are damn tough.

Only stuff I 100% completed was the Pokedex in Pokemon Y and Super Mario 3D Land. I don't do more than bare minimum unless I get something significant out of it. The ending of Persona 4 and the items you get from X and Y are reasons I put more effort into those games. I'm not gonna 100% Super Metroid just to see Samus without armor. Nor do all the sidequests in something like Tales of the Abyss.

If I really like a game I will usually try to clear its bonus bosses, bonus stories, etc etc, but I don't usually go for the menial bonus objectives like "fill the item encyclopedia or weapon encyclopedia or etc". Like, you tell me to grind 5000 floors in the item world to beat tyrant overlord baal or get top tier characters for demiurge or get all licenses for yiazmat or beat feral chaos or etc I'm all for it, but collecting all items is way above me.

Same for most sidequests, radio towers/animus fragments in assassin's creed, etc, if it's not a unique experience I won't bother.

I try to 100% every game I play, at least the first run. It makes for actually finishing the game a very difficult, slow process, but I feel like if I don't actually 100% it, I'll have missed out on the complete game experience that the creators wanted me to have. Unfortunately, the number of games I have actually managed to play to the end is abysmally low.

Yes, I do. In fact, I’ve killed myself in several games just to make sure I could complete the side missions. In Sonic 2, I refuse to leave Emerald Hill without all 7 emeralds.

My ambition is to 100% EA Playground at some point – I've been working on my save file for a few years now – but considering I haven't even become the King of Games yet, it's gonna be a long way going. However... I can say that I have 100% completed Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: World of Light.

Generally I only try to 100% games when I think I can do it easily. For example, in World of Light, all I have to do is do what I downloaded Smash to do and look up a couple things on the Internet for help. I also tried to 100% the Lego Movie videogame (yes, that is a thing) because I finished the main story and got bored, and tried to 100% Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham before it became clear that I wouldn't be able to because I kept losing my save data. However, since I can't even keep my attention on a Minecraft world long enough to build a good house, I can't say 100% completion is a priority for me.

Edited by Damian Thorne