Chaos Sonic

Grimm Nights [IC | PG-16 | Started | NA]

"Um...I...don't really drink. But I guess I'll humor you with a game. My caretaker did show me how to play a bit, so I hope I can give you some entertainment there."

"Oh pish posh, a little drink never hurt!" Lopt huffed playfully as he took his seat, producing a pack of cards from seemingly nowhere. "So, what games do you actually know?"

"Lady Ellie, Alexandre, always a pleasure."

"J-Just Alex is fine...please."

"And I don't believe we've been personally introduced, Prince Tricky Oberon, it's an honor to be working together." Tricky bowed and extended a hand. "Now then, I trust while you've been asking around each of you have gotten friendly with the menu? What would you recommend while we share our discoveries?"

"Oh my, I introduced myself to everyone openly, did I not?" Lopt smiled, shuffling the cards rather than taking the shake, "Lopt Sjolborg, to jog your memory. Now, I was just about to begin teaching Alex over here how to have a poker face, and you seem like a rather helpful fellow for doing so... So, if you can help me teach him, I'm sure we can all begin sharing info together. I don't have much idea about the menu, though, so you're on your own there... Unless Alex knows?"

As Lopt shuffled, dealing in anyone who wanted to join the friendly game, leaning back in his chair. It was rather curious that Tricky had asked for a more formal introduction, in the middle of a tavern, no less. Perhaps there was a reason for that? The shifter kept a smile, never dropping his own poker face as he glanced at Tricky. How curious.

It seemed that Lachlan's awkwardness had not gone unnoticed. And here he was, trying to learn to be normal and all! Like a natural, human person. Except he just wasn't any good at those sorts of things. Which he already knew, but still, it was one thing to know that, and another thing to have somebody else know about it. The bartender at least seemed nice about it, even telling him to help himself to what was on the menu! Though he knew better than to take that offer at face value. Last time he had, he had gotten an angry mob after him because apparently, eating involved paying first. And if you didn't have the money to pay, then that was stealing. That was something that had taken him some time to learn. After all, he had never had to worry about money before when he was living in the lake.

He wasn't sure how likely he was to want to eat here, with all the people around him, but he probably had to eat something at some point. Mibbe they 'ave--

“Lach, hey!” and suddenly there was a person there! In his face! “How’s things? I’m pretty excited myself to stay up the whole night looking for monsters, what about you?” Oh, it was just Ellie. Not a scary stranger. Not that she wasn't scary herself, being a witch. But she was still way too close for comfort right now.

The witch leaned in and put a hand on the wall to balance herself. “Oh, I guess also I learned why this place is named The Naughty Crow. Would you believe it’s named after the bartender there? She won’t tell me what she did that was so naughty, though. Little disappointed about that, but, you know, it’s whatever.”

"U-Uh, oh?" Lachlan asked, his mind struggling to keep up with Ellie's verbal barrage, a feat made even more arduous by her leaning forward like she was right now. Yes, there was just something about being a mere foot or so away from danger that made it difficult to concentrate. He took in a breath of air...and stopped. And then took another breath, leaning forward a little. Shae smells like watter. It sounded kind of dumb, and impossible, but she did. Or rather, she didn't smell like water, but like everything that came with water. The crisp, fresh taste on the tongue, the heavy, almost sweet scent of algae and moss, and the earthy petrichor that followed a rain shower. But there was something else too...something else that was very much not water. A sharp, spicy undertone that he had only come across in certain foods and medicines.

It was this last scent that brought Lachlan to his senses, and he abruptly backed up, smacking his head into the wall behind in the process. "Ach!" he yelped, rubbing the sore spot, before sliding to the side, to put some distance between the two of them. The scent was less strong now, making way for the usual tavern smells of food, alcohol, and unwashed bodies. Aye. This was much safer. Now he could actually think.

"Hello, sorry about...er, that," he flushed, looking down, away from her two-toned eyes to focus on the stitching in her robes. "You uhh, just smell like uhh, water, for some reason." He reddened as he realized what he said. "Ach! I mean uhh, not that that's bad. I like water. It's a very uhh, fresh scent." Wait. Now she probably thought he was some creep that went around smelling people. "Sorry. I uhh, didn't mean to smell you or anything. You were just really close and I had to breathe, so it kind of, err, happened? Not that I'm blaming you for that. It's not your fault. It's mine. For breathing." Yeah, he should probably just stop while he was ahead. "Anyway, uhh, I'm not super thrilled, I guess? I think night might actually be, you know, the worst time, or I guess the best time? Not that I should be making any guesses. I'm probably wrong, so uhh. Yeah."

He shook his head. "And it's called the Naughty Crow? That's really weird. Not that weird is bad. Not at all!" he quickly glanced over at the bartender. "It's just uhh, unusual? Or rather, I'm not used to names like that. But then again, I haven't been to many taverns, so I can't really say I guess." He really, really didn't want any trouble from anybody, least of all because of something he had said. "And if she won't tell you, then it's probably something she err, doesn't want to talk about? Lots of people have things like that. At least, I think so." He did, anyway. He didn't go around telling people he was a Jaeger, or that he used to eat people. That was the kind of thing that ended conversations and opened the way for angry mobs.

Wait, did he accidentally imply Ellie was in the wrong for asking then? Ach, ah 'ave tae say summat or risk a ragin'. "Not that I'm saying it's your fault here either. You didn't know it'd be a sore subject or anything, especially since it's the name and all." He waved his hands in the air in supplication, sliding away from the redhead even more in the process.

Edited by Waluigi

"Oh my, I introduced myself to everyone openly, did I not?" The rabbit eared Jaeger grinned as he shuffled the cards

"Perhaps, but I make it a point to make my introductions on a more personal level, especially with those I'll be spending a significant amount of time." Robin explained.

"Lopt Sjolborg, to jog your memory." Robin scowled internally. This 'Lopt' character would be much harder than the others it seemed. It's a difficult feeling to explain but something was off about the name he'd given. Typically Robin got that feeling when someone left something out or gave a false name, something that prevented him from grabbing onto it like it was a mirage. The trouble was always that he could never tell where the lie fell. "Now, I was just about to begin teaching Alex over here how to have a poker face, and you seem like a rather helpful fellow for doing so... So, if you can help me teach him, I'm sure we can all begin sharing info together. I don't have much idea about the menu, though, so you're on your own there... Unless Alex knows?"

"I'd be more than happy to oblige!" Robin clasped his hands together and found a comfortable position as the cards were dealt but didn't dare touch his hand before knowing what Lopt had in mind. "I do have a question before we begin, as I'm sure you know it's only proper etiquette, what would we be playing exactly? and I am also curious as to the wager." There was bit of excitement to his voice. "We simply can't play for nothing after all or the whole thing falls apart after all, but I fear none of us have much of value at the time due to the circumstances of our mission."

It had been quite some time since Robin had engaged in a true game of cards. His typical prey, the young, wealthy, and self important, thought of themselves much to highly to engage in the thrilling games of deception of the common folk but Robin had, once in a great while, been able to use such games to his advantage in extorting certain information from humans.

"I suppose, since we really are here on business, we could use any information we've gathered as ante? But that could easily come undone if we've only gotten the same intel I fear . . ." Robin turned to his current favorite person at the table and possibly the easiest to bend to his will of the pair, Alex. "What would you suggest we play for? Since, as our friend has suggested, this is for your benefit it's only fair you set the prize, don't you agree?" Though no cards had been played Robin knew, and he was sure Lopt did as well, that the game had begun the moment it was suggested and Robin was determined to make his first move count.

Wada was approached by Elsie's talking crow. This wasn't the first time he had talked to a bird, although this was the first time a bird was talking to him. He always knew birds could talk, everyone back in the forest doubted him, but he knew! This was a very exciting moment for Wada. "Oh, yes yes! I learned a lot of interesting things about this place!" He said with a wide grin, leaning on his mallet. He placed his hand on his chin, thinking. "Let me see, what did the ol' priest guy say..."

He snapped his fingers. "Oh, right! The monster attacks! They seemed to be a recent thing. Starting about a month ago, and it seemed like its only getting worse..." He began to think once more. "What else... the attacks don't have anything to do with religion, at least the church doesn't seem to think so... there's a spooky fog before the creatures attack... they attack at a specific time... uhh... it started with a spotting of the creature... I think that's everything we got." He said, turning towards Corbin. "Oh, and the church! Its super cool! The glass is soooo nice!"

"How about you? Learn anything interesting?"

Corbin tried to omit all the excess stuff Elsie had gone and insisted was important, though once he’d done that, there really wasn’t all that much to say. “Well, we learned where we’re staying tonight,” he said, “that is, we’re staying here. Don’t expect to get a lot of sleep, though; if El gets her way we’ll all be spending the night prowling the streets looking for trouble. That’s one of the big things we learned too, that they’re nighttime attacks.

“Maybe get a nap in now,” Corbin pondered, though that was more to himself than to Wada. He did have more knowledge to impart, after all. “We also learned that, well, we’re not the first ones they called to deal with this particular problem, some band of mercenaries was, and we don’t know what happened to them.”

Was that it? Corbin almost wondered if he was supposed to ask Lauryn if he’d forgotten anything, but she had seemed reluctant to even part with some of that information in the first place, he wasn’t sure he wanted her to relive that experience if she didn’t have to. But at the same time, like, wow, Elsie hadn’t really asked all that many good questions, had she? Really, outside of picking up on that one comment Lauryn had made, all the actual information had come from Lucine’s input.

At least Elsie had been receptive to it all the same, Corbin thought, though he did also make a note to talk to her about properly asking questions and how to not go down weird conversational cul-de-sacs when she had a task to get done. But, until then, he was enjoying the reprieve from dealing with her and instead went to engage Wada a little further. “How’d you join up with all this, though? With us, El’s always looking for trouble, so when Jekyll asked, she jumped on board. What about you?”

Okay, so Lach’s initial reaction to her hard-hitting investigation wasn’t really encouraging (though she’d never seen a person already hugging the wall drive themselves even further back so that was interesting to watch) but Elsie didn’t let that deter her as she maintained the close distance between him and her. It was only when he started babbling about her smell that she realized how silly she was being anyway, and she pushed off the wall to return to balancing on her own two feet.

Of course, Lach’s own comments were silly as well. No matter how many times he apologized for it, he still just… let it out that he’d smelled her in some capacity. She wasn’t self-conscious about it, like, her preferred glamour kept her smelling like whatever the person smelling her liked (and water was a pretty neutral preference, she thought) but it still was a weird thing to admit. 

Such actions couldn’t go unreciprocated, Elsie decided. She squared up, widening her stance and bending her knees a bit to make sure she could take in as big a breath as possible, then did exactly that, leaning back in a bit too to make sure she got it. She even powered through the bar smell and whatever else was in there and made extra sure to hold her breath as she tried to discern exactly what she had just taken in, before ending it all in one giant exhale. “You,” Elsie said, pausing for dramatic effect, “smell like a wet horse. Either that, or the bar does, but I’m guessing it’s you.

“Anyway,” Despite being the one to escalate things, Elsie was still plenty ready to move on afterwards, “In my experience, there are two types of tavern names, those named after the town they’re in, like, uh, I visited this place called Barrelhaven and the tavern was just named ‘The Barrelhaven Tavern. The other kind are the weird ones, and those generally have some sort of inspiration behind them. That’s why I asked. If I had a tavern, it’d be called ‘The Witch’s Brew’ or something like that, I think.

“But ‘The Naughty Crow’ is nice,” she said. Oh, she was going now, not giving Lach an inch as he tried to slink away. “Got some story behind it, even if I didn’t get to hear it all. It’ll be fun staying here, I think, while we get ready for tonight.” Not that she knew what they were getting ready for, of course. Jekyll had implied it was Fahlyn, but nobody she’d spoken to had really given any sort of description. And even if it was Fahlyn, those were pretty vague monsters in and of themselves. Not that she wasn’t confident she (and everyone else) wouldn’t be able to handle it, of course. “So, eat up, gossip, I dunno, ask more questions? Oh!” She could practically feel her eyes lighting up as she remembered. “What did you find out, anyway?” Corbin would probably give her an earful for not asking that sooner, but she was pretty proud of herself for remembering at all.

Yeah, Lachlan knew it had been a bad idea to tell Ellie that he had smelled her. Honestly, he wasn't even sure why he had said that, except maybe that his brain had gone dead for a second there. He immediately regretted it though when she came closer, giving him a closer look at the dusting of freckles across her face, before she...gave him a big sniff. "You," she paused, somewhat dramatically, "smell like a wet horse. Either that, or the bar does, but I’m guessing it’s you."

"Oh, uh...yeah that's umm...probably me," Lachlan rubbed the back of his neck as he leaned to the side more, further away from the other. "I uhh...yeah, horses. They're kind of...my thing, maybe?" He wasn't really sure how to explain that, so he decided not to. "Unless the bar has a stable or something. I'm not sure."

"Anyway," Lachlan breathed a sigh of relief when Ellie changed topics, "In my experience, there are two types of tavern names, those named after the town they’re in, like, uh, I visited this place called Barrelhaven and the tavern was just named 'The Barrelhaven Tavern.' The other kind are the weird ones, and those generally have some sort of inspiration behind them. That’s why I asked. If I had a tavern, it’d be called 'The Witch’s Brew' or something like that, I think."

"Uhh, huh. You're right. Not that I'm saying that I'm surprised you're right or anything," Lachlan waved his hands, then realized he was in danger of touching her if he did that too much, so he lowered them. "Just that uhh, I never really...thought about it before. That's all." He tried to slide to the side again.

"But 'The Naughty Crow' is nice," the witch continued, not letting Lachlan even slink away like he had planned. "Got some story behind it, even if I didn’t get to hear it all. It’ll be fun staying here, I think, while we get ready for tonight. So, eat up, gossip, I dunno, ask more questions? Oh!" Her two different colored eyes lit up. "What did you find out, anyway?"

"Uhh..." the man took a second to catch up on everything Ellie had said. "Well, uhh, Wada or the Prince, uhh the other prince? Tricky Oberon. They might have said something already, I'm not sure. But I guess, if you want to hear what I took from it, well..." he paused to take a breath, "I guess these attacks are uhh, kind of...unusual? What I mean by that is this town hasn't usually had consecutive attacks like this. So the fact they are...is pretty weird. And they're always during the err...witching hour. No offense to uhh, you. But the attacks have been getting worse as nights go by." What else was there? Lachlan's memory was decent, but it wasn't perfect.

He looked up at the ceiling, taking in the sight of soot-blackened wood before lowering his gaze back to Ellie. "There's also fog. An ominous dark fog right before the attacks. And what started with one creature...has now multiplied into several...or at least it has several followers now," his voice was low and soft, wary of listeners. "And we don't know where it happens either...just that they attack and torment people within this town."

The man shook his head, forgetting his nervousness for a second as he set his thoughts on the problem at hand. "We got more than we expected, but I don't know if it's enough to really get a handle on things." He left his own ideas on what could be causing it to himself. Best not to provide misinformation if he were wrong. "Did you umm..." he bit his lip. "Did you find anything out, too, Ellie?" He flushed red. "Not that it's uhh, bad, if you didn't. I'm not trying to say that at all. If you did, that's great, and if you didn't, well that's great too. Or well, not great, but it's not bad either. So uhh, don't worry?"

The Naughty Crow

"Oh pish posh, a little drink never hurt! So, what games do you actually know?"

"...a-a general amount of the games...just pick one..." Alexandre simply said, allowing Lopt and Tricky to speak to each other for a moment or two.

Now, I was just about to begin teaching Alex over here how to have a poker face, and you seem like a rather helpful fellow for doing so... So, if you can help me teach him, I'm sure we can all begin sharing info together. I don't have much idea about the menu, though, so you're on your own there... Unless Alex knows?"
"I suppose, since we really are here on business, we could use any information we've gathered as ante? But that could easily come undone if we've only gotten the same intel I fear . . .What would you suggest we play for? Since, as our friend has suggested, this is for your benefit it's only fair you set the prize, don't you agree?"

Alexandre shook his head on the menu question, before looking at Tricky and then at Lopt. He was silent for a long period of time in regards to the ante and prize for this game, before shaking his head again. "...there's no point in p-putting anything for an ante or a prize...this is a simple game and is going to be treated as such." Alexandre said simply, taking his cards in hand and then immediately keeping quiet.

The Diving Incubus

"Absolutely!"

Another customer, Madame Wadjet was ecstatic as she led the wolf girl into her shop, immediately directing her to sit down at the table with the crystal ball. To which the wolf Jaeger seemed to immediately ask.

"So how does this work? Am I supposed to show you my hands or what?"

"Oh no no no!" Madame Wadjet let out a small giggle, before waving her hand in the air, sitting down right at her end of the table. "Nothing like that at all. We fortune tellers and mediums of the spirit realm haven't done palm readings in such a long time. No, I simply gaze into my crystal ball in order to see what the future holds for you, my dear wolf." She said, once again clapping her hands three times and the ambience of the shop returned to the mood it was when Catriona had her fortune told.

Putting her hands near the crystal ball, the orb began to give off a ghostly glow. She stared at the ball before looking up at Lucine, sighing as she shook her head. “Oh my dear girl, what I see within my crystal isn’t something grandiose. No, it’s so much worse. What I see, you my dear, under a blood red moon bathed in innocent blood. The look you have upon your face is one of malice and delight. I’m afraid you will end up fulfilling something within your family line...in which not even the first could accomplish.”

The ball ceased it's glow and the lights returned to normal, as Madame Wadjet sighed. "I apologize, but that's all my crystal ball will allow me to see."

“Oooh, the witching hour,” Elsie said, eyes as wide as dinner plates. “Very exciting. All I got was they were nighttime attacks but that narrows it down considerably, especially ‘cause when I heard ‘nighttime,’ I thought, like, midnight or something. But no, the witching hour! You know what that is, right?”

“Actually, I do know. Er, or at least I've heard of it anyway. It's sometime in the early morning-”

“Right, right,” Elsie didn’t even miss a beat, like as soon as she heard an answer she didn’t need to hear any more. “Most humans are asleep for it. Maybe that’s why it’s the way it is in the first place. That part’s a little complicated, but it’s, yeah, like, the halfway point between midnight and sunrise. It’s the time each night Hecate and all her spawn come the closest to straddling the veil between her domain and ours which is, you know, very exciting stuff when you’re a witch. Especially with sabbaths, if those don’t start on the hour, well, you can bet they’ll last to the next one for sure.

“I haven’t actually been up for one in a while ‘cause I’ve been trying to match the times I’m awake with everyone else in Jekyll’s tower, so that’ll be fun too.” Elsie stepped away from Lach and the wall he was cowering against and scratched her cheek. “Anyway, I learned that we’re not the first ones to try and solve this particular town’s little problem; there was a whole group of mercenaries here last month who all mysteriously vanished. They didn’t even go out into the woods or anything, they were just defending the town. And you said there was fog too? Very spooky. I wonder what it could be…”

She took her time, mulling over the bits of lore she’d managed to remember growing up, even turning round and round as she continued to think, almost to the point of ignoring Lachlan entirely. But nothing came to mind. Nothing that fit the exact situation, anyway. Fahlyn? All she knew about those was that inscrutable picture Jekyll had shown everyone, and if she was going to make guesses, she wanted to have at least a little more backing them than that. The closest she got was, like, an evil cult or coven, but, in the latter case, she was having a hard time imagining Hecate’s own flesh behaving in such a manner, and both theories had a bunch of pokable holes in them besides.

The one good thing thinking about covens did, however, was that it got Elsie thinking again regarding something Lachlan had said earlier that she’d kind of brushed over until just that moment. She whirled back around to face him, just in time to catch him scooching down the wall like he meant to put even more distance between them. “By the way,” she said, “the ‘witching hour’ thing, that’s just what it is. I don’t take offense at all, and I’m a little interested why you thought I might.”

A realization hit Elsie like a thunderbolt. “Wait…” she said, and her face turned to one of bemusement. “Do I scare you, Lach?”

As quick as a wink, she went right back up to him again, and, with that same wry smile, let out a single “Boo!”

Edited by radio414

Catriona had found absolutely nothing of interest to her simply wandering about the outskirts of the town. All the fun was inside after all it seemed. Perhaps it was sensible given they were under attack. But what mattered now that she had her fortune to mull over was that she had to pick where next to go. She had to imagine the others had figured out what Madame Wadjat had told her. Meeting up with them would be only to tease them then and that was settled. With her choices once more before her the woman had a fairly easy decision to make.

"The tavern it is." she voiced to no one. Any sort of entertainment she was interested in wasn't going to come to her in a church or any old building. Only booze and bad decisions could get the rush she was after. But then of course, no sooner did the cat jaeger enter the tavern than did the sight of several of the others come into view. The boy with the love curse talking with the witch at the bar and a trio including the prince and that dreadful rabbit eared man who had gotten in the way of her games with the dragon slayer. She felt no need to openly address any of her improvised group of companions but leaving them alone would be boring too.

"Time to play my dears." she giggled as she took a seat near the entrance to the establishment. Two shadow cats appeared before her and made their way off toward the other jaegers in the place. One would go to settle into Lachlan's line of sight. He was an easy enough spook. She doubted she even needed to activate the intended spell to get an enjoyable reaction out of him. The other would go to bother the card game, Alexandre in particular. The idea of his monstrous form running wild here seemed more entertaining than any rumor of night time attackers. But she could be patient. She just needed to confuse her targets with the sight of the cats for now.

Lachlan listened to Ellie explain things with some fascination. So this was the other side of the fairy tales, from the side of the Jaegers. The villains. It was really cool to hear, and she also had a really nice voice. Mellifluous or whatever the word was. Or maybe there was just something hypnotic about listening to talk of the witching hour from an actual witch.

“I haven’t actually been up for one in a while ‘cause I’ve been trying to match the times I’m awake with everyone else in Jekyll’s tower, so that’ll be fun too.” Elsie stepped away from Lach and the wall he was pressed up against and scratched her cheek. “Anyway, I learned that we’re not the first ones to try and solve this particular town’s little problem; there was a whole group of mercenaries here last month who all mysteriously vanished. They didn’t even go out into the woods or anything, they were just defending the town. And you said there was fog too? Very spooky. I wonder what it could be…”

She paused to think it over. Something about her words rang a chord in Lachlan, and his earlier suspicions rose to the fore once more. Ah ken ah didnae doo aught afore, boot ah think there's mooch tae doo the noo. That thought in mind, he started to move down the wall sideways in a crab walk. Unfortunately, Ellie caught him right as he was about to get out of range.

“By the way,” she said, “the ‘witching hour’ thing, that’s just what it is. I don’t take offense at all, and I’m a little interested why you thought I might.” Her expression changed. “Wait… Do I scare you, Lach?”

"Well that's good and all, I'm glad you're not offended, I was just, you know--" Lachlan cut himself off when the girl was once again, back in his face. He didn't have time to contemplate more than the soft, glossy sheen of her eyes when she shouted out a loud “Boo!”

"Ach!" Lachlan would have fallen over if not for the wall behind him. His heart was beating like it was going to jump out of his chest, and his legs shook. Not because of the boo, but because of how close Ellie had gotten. This wasn't good. He had to get out of here before any accidents like what had happened with that cat lady happened again. Which, speaking of, wasn't that a cat? It was cute, but its appearance coinciding with "Mommy's" arrival meant nothing good. Maybe it was watching him? Oh, he really needed to get out of here.

"Er, sorry, I just thought of something I needed to attend to. Nothing against you, though you are very scary," the man started to babble as he slid further down the wall. Eventually pulling away from Ellie, he gave a slight nod to her. "It was good talking with ye, I mean you. Yeah. Anyway, sorry, but yeah, I should go. Bye!" he turned and darted out of the tavern, slowing down once he left the building. Then, the nervousness fell away from his face, replaced with fear, but mostly determination.

He had a Fahlyn to investigate.

Edited by Waluigi

Lachlan’s reaction to Elsie’s little scare had been both kind of what she was expecting and kind of not. That was to say, the shocked little jump back right into the wall behind him never seemed to get old no matter how many times he did it -- it was kind of cute, even -- but also, well, everything after that was not anything she was ready for. After he jumped, he ran off babbling about how scary she was and how that wasn’t actually a problem but he did need to go or something like that. “Oh, okay, I mean, thank you?” she found herself saying. Being called scary was a compliment, or she thought so, at least. “I didn’t scare you too hard, though, did I?”

She didn’t get an answer, of course; Lach was already out the door by the time she said it. But turning to watch him go also let her get a good look at what he was seeing from up against the wall. There was that card game going on, there were Wada and Corbin gabbing away, there was another member of their crew who had just walked in, still and there, placed at a couple places around the bar, were a few shadowy cats. It was those last few things that interested Elsie the most, mostly because, well, they were new, and not just that, but new in a couple ways. They were new to the bar, natch, but also, like, shadow cats? That was unlike most, if not all magic Elsie had seen before and therefore had to be investigated.

So it was that Elsie walked on over to one of the cats with what was probably a silly grin on her face. She chose the one further from the card table mostly out of a selfish desire to get the whole cat to herself. The other one, that one surely was just about to get way too many eyes on it. This one… this one seemed meant for her.

Elsie got within about three feet before getting on her knees and started tapping the ground. “Hey. Hey. Pspsps,” she said, repeating herself a few times trying to get the cat’s attention. She wasn’t sure if attracting magical cats was the same as normal cats, but she was willing to try. It didn’t work, though; the cat actually seemed even less interested in her after that. It didn’t even deign to look at her after even the first few tries, and a few after that was when Elsie gave up entirely.

Maybe it wasn’t meant for her at all, she thought. But that didn’t mean she didn’t want to know more about it all the same. In Elsie’s mind, one new thing explained another, especially when, like, the other new thing had cat-esque features too. She looked around for where that cat woman had ended up (had she introduced herself? Elsie couldn’t remember…) and spotted her near the door. “It’s a cute pet,” Elsie said, before actually getting up and going over, pulling over a chair as she did so. “Some sort of illusion, or does it do tricks too?

“Oh, also, hi.” Probably should have said that first but days were too short to second-guess herself. “How’s this quaint little Setsu town been treating you?” She sat down and leaned in, not so much eager to learn, but at least interested enough to try.

lucine.png

“Oh my dear girl, what I see within my crystal isn’t something grandiose. No, it’s so much worse. What I see, you my dear, under a blood red moon bathed in innocent blood. The look you have upon your face is one of malice and delight. I’m afraid you will end up fulfilling something within your family line...in which not even the first could accomplish.” The ball ceased it's glow and the lights returned to normal, as Madame Wadjet sighed. "I apologize, but that's all my crystal ball will allow me to see."

That was her vision? To call it far-fetched was quite generous. Unless sharks counted as innocent, why would she ever find delight bathed in innocent blood? "Me? Do all that?" Lucine peered down at the crystal ball, and gave it a quick knock or two. "I think someone sold you a fake crystal ball, ma'am. Or you've got me confused for someone else." But alas, that was her fortune, apparently. She didn't trust it, not one bit. Getting up from her seat, Lucine gave the suddenly-a-lot-less-credible fortune teller a smile and a wave, and said "Well, what happens happens. I won't know if it's the real deal by just sitting around here. Thanks for the fortune!" For now, Lucine had to reunite with the rest of the party, and figure out what the plan from here was on how to deal with these late-night monsters.

Although, part of her suspected it would be as simple as "find monster, beat up monster, save the day." Or hoped it, at least. Those plans were the ones that suited her best.

Robin was disappointed at Alexandre's suggestion of playing for no prize but decided the game itself, 'simple' as The Royal had decided, would do for the time being.

"As you wish, though do feel free to change your mind once you've gotten a particularly good hand." Robin said as Alexandre examined his cards. Rather foolish in his own opinion as it was common courtesy (and in some cases magically enforced Robin had heard) that once you touch the cards you're in for the game and the trio had yet to even decide on a format. "It would make a rather interesting bluff after all."

Robin hadn't initially noticed the cat-woman Jeager's entrance, and was a bit disappointed at her choice in avoiding the table, but did eventually catch on to the shadowy familiar-like being that she most likely had some involvement with as well as it's taking a liking to The Royal in particular. Apparently there was just something about the man that attracted the teammates with a particular aesthetic. At least that was the impression Robin got by the rabbit eared man, black feline, and himself, the supposed frog king, surrounding Alexandre at the moment.

"Although, a fair number of this little troop does share in animal symbology, myself included to some degree, so it could merely be a coincidence . . ." He mused while waiting for the game to fully begin and watching the cat creature's nimble movements in an almost hypnotic trance. ". . . then again with humans like Jekyll is anything ever? Fun question I suppose, were we chosen as his soldiers far more meticulously than it seemed or does something our dear Alex radiates make him irresistible to those of more primal persuasions?" Either way it posed a problem for him. After witnessing the vast power difference between himself and the others, specifically Alex and The Dragonslayer though he would be more cautious with the rest going forward, if his potential targets became to close and stuck into tightly knit sub-groups there was no doubt they'd not only become much more difficult to attain, but could easily grow tired with his antics over time. It was moments like this that he wondered if Jeager names were even worth the extra effort or if he should lay low and postpone claiming them, maybe indefinitely, and return to his usual trouble making.

The cat jaegar pouted as she watched Lachlan leave the establishment in a hurry. She hadn't even been able to tease him yet. The cat she had summoned lingered behind where it was taken notice of by Elsie, the witch. Oh well, at least she still had the card game to mess with. And for that matter she had a companion to speak with if she desired. Not at least returning the greeting would probably come off as rude. And appearances had to be maintained at the very least, whatever fun she could get out of the interaction aside.

"Oh, these dears know plenty of tricks. Some fun and other's less so." Catriona returned the initial inquiry with a wistful smile. The cat that had been intended to play with Lachlan returned to her, standing on the table the two jaegars now shared. She moved a hand over the length of the shadow as if to pet it, only for the creature to fade away as she did so. "You may see them in action if something exciting happens with our friends." she smirked with a subtle motion to the card game about to be under way, another of her shadows sitting by in wait.

"But yes, this town is dreadfully boring don't you think?" Catriona next said, offering a question of her own to her fellow jaegar. How entertaining any of them could find the place remained to be seen. But she also had to wonder if proper witches were quite as mischievous by nature as a cat witch like herself. "They have a fortune teller of all things. And don't get me wrong, she's good at what she does. But she just told me a bunch of things I already knew were going to happen to me anyway. And here I was hoping to see the next Mr. Tall Dark and Handsome to come my way." the cat said next with a sigh as she slouched some into her seat. 

"I don't suppose you were the one who scared the fish out of water back to the nearest river were you dear?" she asked next of Elsie after a pause in reference to Lachlan's abrupt departure.

Elsie watched closely as the shadowy cat first hopped up onto the table to nuzzle her companion’s hand before dissipating entirely into the aether. Or into the cat woman’s hand, whichever made better sense -- she didn’t want to think about it too hard. Instead of being a cute pet like she’d said, she now understood it as a cute trick by itself. But then her companion said that it could do cute tricks too and now she was doubly invested in the one remaining cat on the poker table. “My familiar can do cool tricks too,” Elsie said. “Only when he wants to, though.”

She looked over at the bar where Corbin was still chattering away with Wada. She briefly wondered what they were talking about, but forced her attention back to her own table, listening to how the town was actually rather boring. “Boring? I mean, I guess if you’re looking for an exciting town, you’re not going to find one in the middle of nowhere. But also, like, witches like me are birthed in the woods. So most towns are exciting for me. And besides, either way, it has to be better than that fortress Jekyll had us holed up in getting here, right? I mean, I had to fly laps around the thing just to get some fresh air.

“Maybe I’ll get my fortune told to me when we deal with whatever the problem is here,” Elsie added. She wasn’t looking for Mister Tall Dark and Handsome like her fellow Jaeger was. She didn’t actually know what she wanted, like, she wasn’t going to be following Jekyll around forever, was she? Maybe that was the problem.

Now they were both in a bad mood, both slumped in their chairs like they were mutually commiserating with each other, even though neither of them had said anything to comfort the other. Then the cat woman made an offhand suggestion that Elsie might have been the one to scare Lachlan off. “He said that wasn’t it. I dunno, he was kind of babbling near the end there. I guess he did call me scary, though. I could see how you could get that impression.” Talking about Lachlan didn’t exactly help her mood, even if reminiscing about being called scary let her put in a little effort in that regard. It wasn’t like she was about to imply that spotting that shadow cat might have been the actual kicker while they were both feeling down.

But then Elsie sat up, a realization having hit her like a bolt of lightning. She couldn’t be Mister Tall Dark and Handsome like the cat woman wanted, but she could be someone, at least. “I know I introduced myself when we first met,” she said, “but I’ve started letting my friends call me Ellie, so if you want… Is there something friends call you too?” Maybe Corbin would frown on her immediately latching onto someone she’d barely talked to before, but he hadn’t said anything when she’d gotten chummy with Lachlan, and besides, he wasn’t here right now.

The Naughty Crow

"As you wish, though do feel free to change your mind once you've gotten a particularly good hand. It would make a rather interesting bluff after all."

"...I'd much rather learn from doing rather than losing anything of value..." Alexandre kept the response short, before returning to his cards. The actual reason he didn't want to ante anything? He really didn't have much of value on his person currently. He shifted in his seat slightly, before noticing a shadowy cat...though at the same time, the young royal could only let out a low growl, not...necessarily enjoying the fact that this thing was bothering them.

"S-So...anything L-Lopt...?"

Meanwhile, Lauryn whistled a bit towards Catriona as she pointed to the cats some. "Oi. While I don't mind the bird..." she pointed towards Corbin. "I'd kindly ask that ya keep yer felines in line and not to have them pester the other patrons. Don't care if they're friends of yers or not." she rolled her eyes, now pulling out a few trays of the food that was ordered earlier.

The Diving Incubus

"Me? Do all that? I think someone sold you a fake crystal ball, ma'am. Or you've got me confused for someone else. Well, what happens happens. I won't know if it's the real deal by just sitting around here. Thanks for the fortune!"

"Alas, that is what the crystal ball says. Not only that, but this crystal ball is genuine...100%. In fact, it's been passed down through my family." Madame Wadjet sighed, clapping her hands as the lights returned on into the room. "But you are welcome for your fortune. Albeit, I'm sorry you had to have such a dark and abysmal fortune. Do tell your friends to stop by at the Diving Incubus for all of their fortune telling needs and other mystical needs they have. After all, it's hard for a fortune teller to make a living in this world where Epoch's industrial lifestyle tries to choke out the mystics..."

The fortune teller waved the wolf off, before sneezing slightly, almost as if someone talked about her. She closed the door and rolled her eyes, before shaking her head. "Hmph...a fake. How dare that mongrel..." she hissed, making her way through her shop. "...regardless, perhaps a few more...just a few more."

Catriona listened to Ellie with the same smile that had often occupied her face around the other Jaeger. A veil of interest masking deeper analysis or maybe boredom. It was always hard to tell, even for the woman herself. In this case the point of interest was definitely the bird. Such an expressive familiar was something Catriona found herself somewhat envious of. The point of a witch's birth was also curious. It might have been a point in common between the two of them. But Catriona had never spoken much with her mother surrounding the circumstances of her own birth so it was difficult to compare notes on the subject. The cate jeager was about to cook up some sort of reply to the witch's various points and reintroduction before Lauryn's comments caught her ear. Literally in this case as her cat ears twitched in the direction of the initial whistle as it sounded.

"Why, of course. No trouble at all here." Catriona beamed back with perhaps the most fake smile she'd given to date in the company of Jekyll's other recruits. On cue the last remaining shadow cat in the tavern jumped to the floor to nestle up against Alexanrdre's leg. Upon contact the cat poofed from existence like the one before it. But this time it had performed a task. A simple thing really. The effected leg would feel much heavier and more difficult to move than normal. Chances were the Beastly Prince would never realize what she'd done unless he soon tried to move the appendage. She would dismiss the spell in a minute to be safe rather than let it more slowly fade on its own. This brought the cat's attention back to, and for the first time in a few minutes fully, Elly.

"A name for my friends to call me hmmmm... it's a good question Ellie. I told the fortune teller Nemain... the last town it was Babd... I wonder, is it time to give Macha a turn?" Catriona mused more to entertain herself than anything. "I suppose between cat witch and witch witch I could stand to be at least a little truthful. Call me Cat. A bit on the nose maybe. It's short for I'm-not-telling-yet but it's part of the real deal." the Jaeger offered with a wink.

"I suppose this makes us friends now. I hope you brought a cauldron, it's only right we curse somebody tonight to mark the occasion." Cat offered with a hint of glee in her voice as she pondered who in the town would be the most fun to deliver such an unfortunate fate to.

“Nemain… Bab-duh… Mat-cha…” Elsie repeated each of the suggested names in turn. “Cat” certainly seemed simpler than all of those, even if it always felt like it needed an article in front of it. The phrase “The Cat” rolled around in her head for a hot moment, though that seemed more like a title than a name. “Yeah, sure, Cat works!” Elsie finally said. “Nice to put at least some sort of name to a face.”

But then Cat uttered the magic words: “I hope you brought a cauldron. It’s only right that we curse somebody to mark the occasion.”

That got Elsie really excited because she had. “Yes, let’s!” she said. She nearly jumped out of her chair, too. “I mean, it’s not on my person, obviously, but it’s in my room. I can just go grab it. Even better, ‘cause we’ll be staying up tonight anyway, so that’ll give us something to do while waiting for whatever the problem is to show up. So yeah, just give me, like, two shakes of a newt tail and wait for me at the bottom of the hill? How’s that sound?”

It didn’t really matter what Cat thought of the plan; Elsie was too excited to hear it. She snatched her broom up and marched over to the bar where Corbin was still idly chatting with Wada. “Hey,” she said, completely interrupting the conversation. “Ready to hex some fools?”

“What?” Corbin said.

“Yeah, so Cat over there and I decided we could do some ritual magic tonight during our stakeout so that means I gotta grab some supplies.” She stuck out her broom handle, offering it to her familiar. “And I want you to come with, that’s all.”

“Do I have to?” Corbin said. “I was kind of in the middle of something.”

“I would like you to.”

Corbin looked up at the ceiling and made a little “pah” noise, before looking back over to Wada. “You will have to forgive her, she’s always like this,” he said, before hopping on the broomstick. “We can resume our conversation some other time if you would like. I’d love to hear more about your travels.”

And they were off! With only a “Look out for the cauldron rumbling down the hill!” as a final reminder tossed Cat’s way, Elsie exited The Naughty Crow and took to the skies.

As the A.R.C.H. team of Jaegers carried on into the later hours of the night, whether it was attempts of a good time or doing what they could to stake out the town, time continued to march forward...and as the witching hours of the night finally arrived, while most were locked in their rooms, the Jaegers were waiting...watching.

All was silent, too quiet. It was almost eerie to an extent, some might say unsettling. But soon the town was filled with quite the unearthly sounds. The appearance of a thick misty fog was slowly descending upon the quaint Setsu town and soon an ungodly and horrific howl was heard some ways away...but it was coming closer. The bells of the Church of the Morning began to ring greatly, as a shout was heard from the bell tower.

"THEY'RE COMING!!! THE MONSTERS ARE COMING!!!" the voice shouted, fear dripping from each word as well as the voice trembling.

From the thick fog, the Jaegers who were watching and waiting couldn't see anything at first...but those with the stronger senses of smell and hearing could definitely sense something else. Sounds they could detect, it sounded...amorphous...or rather, it sounded like something actually taking the form of something. The sounds of things cracking into place...it was truly a horrendous sound. But eventually, from the fog, the would be defenders saw what was shown to be something worse: eerie lights of orange and red...but finally, they saw it.

A Terrible Night for a Monster

The creature didn't look like anything that Professor Jekyll had immediately shown, but one sentence from the professor did reappear in their minds briefly as they stared at the creature: "As mentioned, these creatures are formless, but they will take the appearance of whatever they need to in order to get the best results. Nothing...is off limits to them.”

What now stood before the sheltered town and now in full view for the Jaegers of A.R.C.H. was simply that of a creature of quite some eldritch proportions, but still seemed like that of a wolf with tendrils on it's head with small lights on them. Nevertheless, the sinister aura and appearance of it surely proved that the professor's theories were correct...even the assumptions that were already given: these monsters were Fahlyn. The creature let loose once more the ungodly howl and from the fog two more appeared beside him. The group could tell there was more, but only three stood to oppose them...

The three wolf like creatures took one step, the tendrils on the two creature's who appeared on the sides, they immediately took to crushing and striking at the newly defended homes and stores, their eyes fixated on the Jaegers.

OOC

Spoiler

Terrible Night for a Monster = Terrible Night for a Curse...get off me, I've been waiting to use that for a while!!

So! It's finally time for the action...I apologize it got so far and so long between the last host post. But this should give you something to do now...so new piece of information for the lot of you: Sai has returned from hiatus and Sethera/Lachlan has gone into hiatus, so we swap Nessie for the Dragon Slayer...both are currently not in the town right now. I've made it currently where the Jaegers are generally out and ready. You may describe what you were doing before the Fahlyn arrived, but that's up to you.

Now, congrats, you've unlocked the first entry in the Grimm Nights: Fahlyn Bestiary! Note, you won't be able to learn it's weakness until you start fighting, but here's the information for you:

Fahlyn Canis

The most common form of Fahlyn, which takes the form of wolves. The tendrils on its head allow for multiple attacking of those surrounding it. Furthermore, these tendrils emit a low light at the end, which is known for luring unsuspecting travelers and innocents to their doom, if they’re lost in a fog.

Spooky, yes it is. Nevertheless, it's combat time...be courteous and if anything, work together on the fighting! And as mentioned, there are more than just three...but I figured the others can be taken care of off screen...these three are your main focus for the time being.

So! Elsie had successfully retrieved her cauldron and spare ingredients and Corbin had successfully convinced Elsie that rolling down the hill in the cauldron back into town was a bad idea so really there were wins on all fronts. They’d even managed to set up under a clear enough sky to have their water blessed by the moon as well, so that was, like, a little extra bonus on top of everything else.

“Hecate,” Elsie called out as she gave the concoction another stir. “Mother of the witches three, matron of those ever free, hear these words and come to me.”

She looked up from the boiling cauldron at Cat, as equal a participant as she could be. “I admit, ritual magic was never, like, my strong suit or anything, so maybe it’s just ‘cause things seem to be lining up tonight, but yeah, good vibes so far.”

“Elsie can impress sometimes,” Corbin added, though he said it in that passive-aggressive way that got Elsie to bring a hand to his perch on her shoulder and shush him.

“Anyway, so before we do the actual hex, did you want to, like, declare our sorority?” Elsie said. “I think it would be neat, especially if we’re going to be travelling together after this, to let people know not to cross one of us lest they cross the other.”

“Why, that sounds lovely,” Cat replied with a curious tone to her voice. “But seeing as the only family I ever had was my mother you'll have to teach me what being a sister’s all about.”

She concluded with a trademark playful wink and Elsie nearly leapt at that. “Of course!” she said, though she quickly forced that elation back down to the grave serious declaring a bond obviously required. Or rather, she tried. She was probably still a little too forceful seizing Cat’s hands from across the cauldron and holding both Cat’s and hers over the boiling mixture. There was a spell involved, of course, to keep from scalding, but they did have to feel the heat.

“There are probably a lot of ways to do this,” Elsie said. “This is just the one my sisters back in my old coven taught me. It’s really simple, actually. You just close your eyes, cup your hands like this to catch some of the steam, bring it to your nose or mouth, breathe the steam in, and, for as long as you hold your breath, project protective energies to the person across the cauldron. No additional spell necessary, no chanting involved, just announcing our sisterhood to the world with Hecate as our witness. She’ll take care of the rest.”

Elsie took a quick breath. “Uh, any questions, or did you just want to get right into it?”

“No questions here,” Cat said. “Though my magic does tend to go cat-shaped whatever my intention so don't freak out if something starts pawing at you.”

Elsie grinned back and closed her eyes, going through the motions just as she had just described. While holding her breath, she did get the distinct impression that something was rubbing against her leg, as if a cat was there marking her as theirs. That particular feeling disappeared as soon as she opened her eyes, but the other feeling, the feeling of gaining the bond of someone new, remained. Her grin grew into a full-on smile. “Hello, sister,” she said. “The best part about this method is we still get to use this cauldron for something. We were gonna hex someone, right? Lauryn mentioned killing her ex, and I was thinking we could -”

Whatever Elsie was about to suggest was interrupted by an impressively loud church bell and someone shrieking “The monsters are coming!” When she looked around, too, she saw that the outskirts of town had been enveloped in a heavy fog, obscuring everything beyond. 

The voice was right, too. From the fog stepped out three massive wolf shapes, just like the projection Jekyll had displayed except also not like it at all. “They couldn’t have waited, like, fifteen minutes, huh?” Elsie said. How dare they interrupt her and her sister’s first ritual together? 

“I’m sure you’ll get another chance later,” Corbin said. He was already airborne, and soon was ascending high into the sky.

It took a snap of Elsie’s fingers to put the fire out, after which Elsie looked back up at Cat with an apologetic look on her face. “Yeah, when this is done, definitely,” she said. “I’ll be looking out for you, though. You probably don’t need it, like, Jekyll chose you for a reason, I’m sure. But lesson number one, sisters look out for each other.” With that, she grabbed and mounted her broom, and soon after was following her familiar.

She hoped she was silhouetted by the moon. She wasn’t able to check, but it would be pretty cool.

Well, the game could have gone better. Not that Lopt had lost, mind, only that... it didn't seem as if Alex really improved from it. And that Tricky one invading certainly didn't help, keeping him on his toes the whole time. Whatever his game was, Lopt was not looking to find out.

After taking his leave and escaping to a rooftop, time whittled away slowly. A quiet night, a quiet town... Pretty much what the trickster was used to. Countless nights over the years, spent travelling, slightly changing himself, but always remaining with the same basic gist. He had made quite the name for himself... But that time was now past. A feeling of nostalgia washed over him, earning a pained smile from the jaeger.

Eventually, as the air began to chill, the church bells tolled, foretelling the approach of the wolf's quarry. 

"Why, what a surprise," Lopt's mouth curled wider and wider, stretching wider than humanly possible as sharp teeth appeared in his mouth, a low growl escaping as he spoke. "Got some pups looking for a fight? You don't even match Geri or Freki, much less me."

However, the shifter found himself stopping... and leaning back, tucking his cane on his lap as he watched from the rooftop. He still had his secrets to keep... And there was another wolf to put these upstarts in check. Maybe she would actually be just as interesting as he hoped. For now, Bunny-Jaeger Lopt, the travelling bard, would mind his own business.

Catriona had whiled away the hours as Elsie went off to make preparations. Nothing much came of the town as she expected. And none of the men who entered the bar struck her fancy. How dreadfully dull just as she thought it would be. That didn't make it any less disappointing of course. Still now that the time of the ritual had come and gone she was feeling particularly invigorated. Perhaps there was something to this witch-witch stuff and not just cat-witch. It was a strange feeling, the connection she now had to Elsie. It was not something she had really experienced. Her mother had been tied to her by blood but rarely had another person made any sort of connection that lasted more than a night. And this was nothing so carnal. It was different and that made it stand out in her mind. Instinctively she sent a shadow cat to hitch a ride on Elsie's broom to keep a closer eye on her.

"...What a foolish thing to do." Catriona berated herself with a smile trying to process her concern for another person. Her attention moved to the shouts and fog rolling in. Beings unlike anything she had ever seen, or Jekyll's very scary blurry photo, appeared before her. Beings like wolves and yet like nothing else that walked the land. "Adorable. It would have to be puppies wouldn't it?" She laughed as she readied her staff. With her more-than-cat-like-grace she made her way to the top of a building, not wishing to directly engage the creatures when so many of the group were better suited to the task. With a wave of the staff as if it were a magic wand six more shadow cats appeared and dashed off, two to each of the three primary fahlynn that stood before them. With a wink from their master the cats disappeared, exploding into a burst of shadowy chains looking to restrict the creatures movements.

While the witch and cat busied themselves with the . . . Robin wasn't actually sure what they were exactly but the monstrosities were rather dog like, whatever they were the pair seemed to have it under control at the moment so while truly he had intended to join in immediately Robin thought his talents were better used surveying the town for poor innocents in need of aid in their frantic screaming and fleeing until things got more dire. While he zipped about overseeing the timely evacuation of the panicked masses with as much care as he thought necessary, which just so happened to be not much, Robin notice a fellow teammate, the rabbit eared one, on a roof watching the battle.

"A fellow cautious observer, can't say I'm surprised there's another I suppose." Robin thought to the game the two had shard with the dear Royal only moments ago.

It had been fun for what it had been but the lack of stakes made it more boring than it had to be. Alexandre had been a non-competitor, no surprise for a beginner, so it was mostly a showdown between the two. Though it had been recent enough Robin couldn't recall how it had ended, though that didn't matter much, he'd lost in his own mind the moment he decided there was nothing of value to gain from continuing.

He shrugged off the ultimately pointless encounter and let Lopt drift towards the back of his mind in terms of priority team members for the time being. The townspeople seemed to have themselves sorted out for the most part so, out of excuses for not joining the Frey, Robin made himself scarce under the guise of needing supplies. After all, his most useful trick at the moment would surely be his circles and he only had enough components to entrap a human-scale being, how could his dearest teammates expect him to be of any use without the proper equipment? Surely Ellie and her bird, having almost witnessed one of his greater feats first hand, knew she needed only distract the beasts until he had everything in order Robin reasoned as he searched the streets for stones, seeming far more picky than usual as most of what he found was far to small or not nearly smooth enough for his standards, and of course only the perfect material would do for a circle at this scale.

Wada waited for the beast to appear on the streets below, notably antsy about whatever creature they were about to fight. A combination of both fear and excitement rushed through him as he stared intently at the darkness, gripping harder on his mallet as he waited for something to happen. The anticipation was killing him; patience was never his strong suit, after all, and the howl wasn't helping. The fairy boy had heard many howls before, wolves being familiar creatures of the forest. This howl, however, was different - otherworldly, even. As the smoke enveloped the town, Wada raised his mallet to the sky, the mallet turning blue. Orange lights appeared from the fog; first a pair, and then suddenly more.

From the fog emerged a rather eldritch looking wolf and, shortly after, two other ones appear behind it. His plan was simple; he was going to weaken the wolves by making them smaller. His wings fluttered as he took a step forward, gritting his teeth. Whatever plan his fellow Jaeger had, surely it would be made easier with smaller wolves. At the very least, he'd be able to deal with them better after he was done. "Let's do this!" He said, trying to stir himself with a makeshift sense of confidence.