Chaos Sonic

Grimm Nights [IC | PG-16 | Started | NA]

Catriona could only smile and turn her attention away from Lucine as the wolf girl sarcastically thanked her and expressed her lack of interest. An easy tease just like she had thought. But ultimately there was little genuine enjoyment to be had in the experience. But that was just the way it went with other Jaeger. In a group of humans she'd be the eye of the entire room's focus but here everyone had their eyes on Jekyll and the information he held. Though that wasn't entirely true was it? One pair of eyes in particular had lingered on her a touch longer than the others. The taller man who had been first to arrive. The cat woman overheard him assert he was in fact not a Jaeger and Jekyll referred to him as Dragon Slayer. Now what was a human man who had bested dragons doing in a group like this she wondered. This was a new object of curiosity, one that felt worth pursuing.

But before she could play her little game, the good doctor invited the group to sit and eat while he began explaining things to them. Words of new teammates, a disgusting thought with most of the current group, and a deposed prince. An image of the fahlyn and statement of their group's goal to eradicate the monsters that had claimed an entire kingdom. And so the others began asking questions as he had invited them to do. But Catriona had a different objective in mind for the moment. She picked at the food presented to them, never seriously committing to eating anything. Her eyes wandered to Sieg and there rested a moment, just long enough for the man to perhaps notice if he was paying attention, before shifting them elsewhere. This she repeated some few times, hoping he would play her game and begin staring back in kind while trying to avoid eye contact. Before long she lowered the hood from off her head and with an elegant motion of both hands flipped her hair from behind the shawl and lowered hood to flow freely behind her. Every movement was calculated, aimed at captivating the man like they had scores of others before him. Of course, she couldn't be too obvious about this. And there was always the off chance Dr. Jekyll was falling for her as well. Regardless it felt appropriate to pretend to be on task and ask a question.

"What the boy said." she said pointing to Lachlan. "What's little old me supposed to do about these scary blurry picutres?" she asked in a blatantly faked cute voice. More important was in calling attention to herself by speaking that she casually shifted in her seat to give Sieg a better view of her.

The Dragon Slayer had certainly earned Lopt's interest, but he would have to look into him later. For now, there was one thing that stood out to him about the room... 

"My, Jekyll... You sure like young people, don't you?" Still leaning forward from addressing Sieg, he tilted his head to the side to look Jekyll dead in the eye, "Do you really think that you can do something as grand as saving the world with children?"

Lopt's eyes narrowed a bit, but his smile remained. He had a feeling that it would come to this, but why would he want to go near the Gate again? There was nothing left for him there, but this journey would surely take him there... And he had joined up with A.R.C.H. for fun.

"I'm a bit of a traveler, you see," He looked around at each of his new 'teammates' as he spoke, "I've seen and heard about these 'Fahlyn' before. And I must say, they're not some beast you hunt for fun. Do you all really feel comfortable doing something like that? I'm sure Mr. Dragon Slayer won't have a problem I'm sure, but it is rather dangerous, and it doesn't look like some of us, myself included, are not well equipped to handle those dreadful things."

Finished with his piece, Lopt picked up a muffin and began to eat it slowly. He didn't have to, he could just consume it... But that would ruin his image too soon, right? This was fine, if a bit tedious.

Wada simply waited patiently in his seat as the food arrived, opting to simply observe the people around him. Wada thought he was going to stand out like a soar thumb, but so far it was clear that they were a rag tag group of misfits - it was all rather exciting! It was also a bit overwhelming, especially the way some of these folk spoke. Their language was just a bit too flowery for him to fully follow anything - he didn't even know what any of those things the bird was talking about, and he lived in the forest!

Eventually, though, it was time for them to get the purpose they were gathered. Apparently they were around to stop these Fahlyn thingies - sounded simple enough. "So we jus' gotta smash dese spirit fella's, eh?" He said, standing up from his chair with a bitten leek in his hand. He was ready to call it there, but everyone else seemed to have questions about all of this. "Huh?" He said, scratching his head. "I guess those are pretty good questions..." He said, shrugging his shoulders as he picked up his mallet. "I don't got any questions though. S'far as I'm concerned, we just gotta smash these spooky monsters." He took his seat again, waiting to see what answers Jekyll had for his teammates.

Eric stood there with bated breath, awaiting for the onslaught of questions he was sure to be asked. And to his credit, of course there would be plenty of questions asked at this point. These individuals would be periling a number of dark creatures that was plaguing their world of Grimm, they must've had a good number of questions regarding them. Soon these questions began to pour in, starting with Lucine.

"I have a question, Doctor. You said most of Wilhelm. Does that mean there are still survivors?"

“Quite perceptive, Lucine. Yes, while what we’ve gathered, while Wilhelm has been ‘Ground Zero’ essentially...the origin from what was gathered is a bit further in. The point of origin of this catastrophe is located in the south eastern area of Wilhelm, within the ruined city of Orus Muz. At the present time, from what we can assume, a number of citizens and denizens of Wilhelm have made a pilgrimage to the other kingdoms for shelter and safety, while a good handful still remain. Alas, it is their bullheadedness that will see that they will survive in that cursed land, I suppose. Because of that, a good portion of the southern kingdom happens to be residing in the now an imposing fortress that is now Grayhold.”

Once the wolf Jaeger's question was asked, Sieg began to speak.

"I have a question to. Do you think that's there's a lot of them, or that there's only a few, but they're very powerful?"

“I’m surprised you would bring that up, my dear slayer. That was something I would mention within the mission briefing, however I suppose I can explain that for the moment. Yes, while the Fahlyn, from what we can tell are a hive mind and formless darkness...they hold more power than you realize. These demons feed off of negative emotions...and when they continue, from what research we’ve come across...the prey they seek after, shall end up going through a metamorphosis and inevitably, become a Fahlyn themselves. Our head of research, Dr. Phila Stone hypothesized this and while we’ve yet to prove it, it’s not unlikely that this wouldn’t be the case. After all, these are creatures of a different world...one where our perception of rules and regulations do not match up to their desires. Furthermore, to answer the second portion of your question, they have powerful variants of themselves. As mentioned, these creatures are formless, but they will take the appearance of whatever they need to in order to get the best results. Nothing...is off limits to them.”

"Professor Eric? I was hoping you could answer, well, I know you probably can, I'm not doubting your knowledge. I just mean, umm, well if you would, there you go, if you would answer my question, err, sir. I was wondering, exactly how are we supposed to be taking care of these Fahlyn? Are they just like how we fight humans or Jaeger, or is there, uhh, something more? Unless I missed that in the lecture, sorry. I'm not the best at, y'know, or well maybe you don't, not to say you don't know a lot, but well, you might not be able to read my mind. Anyway, I'm not the best at, uhh, remembering things. So, sorry..."
"So then Eric, if I may rephrase, what is your plan? While I'm no expert like you may be it appears these beasts can't very well be clawed or scratched at which unfortunately disables a few of our little club and I doubt they have either names of their own or loved ones that do."

Eric adjusted his glasses some before proceeding to answer Lachlan and Robin's questions, as they were similar. “It appears you haven’t been quite acquainted with your own history as Jaegers. According to legend, the first protectors of Grimm, a band of Jaegers, were able to repel and combat the forces of the Fahlyn. We are still working out the specifics on how they were able to combat such an evil, but nevertheless, what I can say is that it may have something to do with the general magical ability you Jaegers...and Pseudo-Jaegers posses. Again, myself and Dr. Stone are currently researching how this can be possible, but it seems you and your bloodline abilities are a key in disrupting the Fahlyn and their actions. As for you specifically, Robin, I guess that means you’ll have to resort to something other than your little naming tricks, now won’t you?”

“Is it just the populated areas? Kind of like, uh, Lucine -- Lucine, right? -- like she said, could survivors escape into the woods or wilderness?”

“As previously stated, while a good portion of the denizens of Wilhelm have stayed in the southern kingdom in Grayhold, others have fled to look for sanctuary within the neighboring kingdoms. However! It is plausible for survivors to be hiding within the nearby woods and forests...but that may be unlikely. Unless said survivors happen to be Jaegers or even masters of being elusive targets, the Fahlyn will’ve possibly gotten their claws a hold of them. But in a sense, from what we can tell, yes the populated areas seem to be a target.” he replied to Elsie.

"What the boy said. What's little old me supposed to do about these scary blurry pictures?"

“My dear, we’ve tried that song and dance once before. Please do your best to stay on task, as you should’ve mentioned this when I answered Lachlan and Robin’s quite similar question. But I shall entertain your question, it’s not so much as what can ‘little old you’ do about these blurry pictures...it’s what can you do to prevent something like this from wreaking havoc upon Grimm.”

"My, Jekyll... You sure like young people, don't you? Do you really think that you can do something as grand as saving the world with children? I'm a bit of a traveler, you see. I've seen and heard about these 'Fahlyn' before. And I must say, they're not some beast you hunt for fun. Do you all really feel comfortable doing something like that? I'm sure Mr. Dragon Slayer won't have a problem I'm sure, but it is rather dangerous, and it doesn't look like some of us, myself included, are not well equipped to handle those dreadful things."

“Now now, whether they are children or not, you have to be honest...youth has its advantages. So I don’t think this, I know this. But at the same time, Lopt, you seem to be underestimating the abilities of your teammates, which I do hope to fix soon. In any case, whether they feel comfortable or not with this, it is better than the alternative.” Eric sighed, adjusting his glasses once more. "I told you before, if you refuse, you will be eliminated. Grimm won't mourn for those it finds to be monsters...but that said, wouldn't it be high time to prove to this world that you aren't? I shall be honest with you, I sought you lot out for your abilities. I believe you have the capabilities to do great good with them and what good to be done than to be rid of these creatures of the damned? Do try to keep this in mind."

"I don't got any questions though. S'far as I'm concerned, we just gotta smash these spooky monsters."

"In a sense, Wada, you are correct. You surprise me as I originally thought you would've had more questions regarding this whole ordeal. But it's not just "smashing spooky monsters", but rather eradicate them. For as mentioned before, they will feed on negative emotions and will do their best to convert their prey into a part of their fold." With a deep exhale, Eric looked over at the group once more. "Are there any other questions?"

Alexandre sat there in silence, listening to each question. They all asked very prominent questions about this situation, but he remained silent for a good long period of time. He wrestled with himself on a question to ask, but the one that kept nagging at him… "...how far have they spread?"

Eric looked at Alexandre, nodding slightly. "How far? My dear beast, they've spread quite a ways over Grimm. They are small numbers at the moment, so containing this threat before it gets to a catastrophic level is our plan. You ask in regards to Farway, am I wrong?"

"...y-yes…" he nodded slowly.

"Fret not about your home kingdom. A good portion of Fahlyn haven't gotten too far within Farway, as about three years ago, a massive snowstorm has plagued the land." Eric began to explain. "According to my teams, it's still going on today. This may hinder the creatures from harming the citizens of Farway...especially your love."

Alexandre's eyes began to narrow towards Eric, who simply smiled. A low growl was heard, but he simply stood down and sighed. "...thank you…"

Eric nodded slightly, before addressing the group once more. "Now, for the mission I have. We are en route to Setsu, in which you lot are going to be tasked with doing some reconnaissance for A.R.C.H. According to reports, there are sightings of strange monster like creatures that happen to appear at night. We can only assume that this is related to the Fahlyn. You are to go to the kingdom of Setsu and locate a small town within it, it'll be obvious what town as they are constantly rebuilding. Ask about these sightings, any information about it will do. Also fret not about individuals not wanting to assist you because of you being Jaegers or Pseudo-Jaegers..." he paused, glancing over at Sieg. "A good portion of individuals there are Jaeger as well as supports of your species."

With that, Eric departed from the room, waving his hand dismissively. "You have a day or two before your mission begins. I suggest you use it wisely...prepare, mingle, train...whatever. Just please do not tear of the interior of the Tower of Babel!"

The moment Jekyll left, Alexandre stood up and also walked out the door, sighing greatly. He looked over to the nearby hallway wall and at a painting, shaking his head some. "I...really don't like any of this...what do you think? ...do you have any bright ideas?" he spoke, questioning the painting as if it was going to come and talk back to him. ...I'm doing it again...aren't I?

OOC

Spoiler

Questions have been answered as well as your mission has been given! All that's left to do is:

• Prepare
  • Mingle
  • Train/Spar

I believe going with this route for at least a round or two would possibly assist in both having characters get interaction going and start to develop. Plus, if the latter option is what you wish, it'll give your teammates a chance to see your skills up close to see if they can work off of them and vice versa.

If you need anything concrete or specific, contact myself and the Co-Hosts and we'll help you out the best we can!

Elsie gave a sigh of relief as Jekyll elaborated on, well, everything. Especially Lucine and her questions, though. Survivors still existed, and covens in the area certainly would carry on, even if Hecate reclaimed a few. She wondered if she knew any of them. It was unlikely, but…

But also, like, it didn’t matter, did it? Either way, she was still going to help Jekyll, kick some Fahlyn butt, and look good doing it. If any of the other Jaegers in the room were as good as she knew she was (again, one of them had slain a dragon!), what trouble could there be? And when -- not if, but when -- she saved Grimm, she wouldn't have to worry about any of that stuff.

Elsie listened to the rest of the question and answer session, but those thoughts remained at the forefront of her mind. If a friend of hers was actually in trouble -- if a Fahlyn had come across a coven she’d visited -- they would have called out. Maybe not to her specifically, but she’d have known. But they hadn’t and she didn’t, so she’d be okay, right?

One question stood out to her. The Jaeger with the bunny ears (did he say was Lopt? Low-pit? Whatever) had asked, “Do you really think you can do something as grand as saving the world with children?” and while Elsie did allow Jekyll to answer the question himself, she still had to wonder, what was that supposed to mean?

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Elsie said as soon as Jekyll was finished. “The bit about the children and the- yeah, what was that about?”

“I mean no offense, my dear,” Lopt turned to her, a little shocked, “only that... is it wise to throw someone with their entire life ahead of them into the fray? It’s a terrible thing to see someone as young as us die. Especially when many of us look so frail...”

“I guess…” Elsie said. “I dunno, I’m not planning on dying any time soon.” She looked at Corbin. “What about you?”

Corbin had spent the presentation similar to how Elsie had: he stared at the image of the Fahlyn and while Elsie couldn’t tell his thoughts directly, she still felt that same sort-of-fear from him that she’d felt herself. Only he just never took his eyes off of it. Even when Elsie called out to him, he didn’t flinch.

“Hello…” Elsie leaned out to him and gave the table a knock. “Hey, Earth to raven. You planning on dying?”

Corbin hopped almost straight up and cawed -- his own shock was of a much more physical nature compared to Lopt’s -- before landing on Elsie’s hand. “Uh, what?” he said. “No. Unless you were?” His fear rose a little. “Are you?”

Elsie gave him a little scratch. “Of course not, silly.”

Jekyll, at that point, had left the room, as had one of the other Jaegers, Alexandre Roi. Elsie took that as as good a cue as any to also leave. “Alright,” she said, standing up, “well, it was nice to meet you all. I’m sure we’ll all get to know each other real well by the end of this. I’m going to head to the sparring arena if anyone wants to follow? Gotta work off this breakfast somehow, I think.” With that, she guided Corbin back to her shoulder and went right out the door. Properly this time.

Of course, Corbin had to ruin it. “I think you left your broomstick in there,” he said.

Well, she’d embarrassed herself in front of most of them once already. What was one more, right? At least, that’s how she thought it, though she still couldn’t help but give a sheepish grin to everyone as she snuck back in and grabbed it, and Corbin couldn’t help but chirp a “We’re gonna have to tie that to you, aren’t we?” just for kicks.

Elsie’s goodbye was much quicker the second time. “So, uh, yeah,” she said. “If you want to fight or talk or, I dunno if there’s something else, um, you know where to find me.”

So what Lachlan had learned from all of this was, birds had long memories. And it wasn't a good idea to make them mad. But if you made them happy, they would remember that. So, in this case, that was good...right? Because Cory liked him...right? Hopefully. Well, Ellie had said that, and she was his master, so she would know best...right? Right.

As the other people asked their questions to Professor Jekyll, it seemed that many of them shared his fears. How were they supposed to fight something they'd never even heard of? Or, in some people's case, they'd heard of them but never fought? And those shadowy things had looked pretty scary to boot. However, according to the professor, this wasn't the first time the Fahlyn had ravaged the land of Grimm. This had happened before. It was odd, though. Lachlan had never heard of these things before, and he had listened to many a fairytale. And the history of his own line. Still, his family had lived in the waters of Loch Ness for generations upon generations, and most of them had never left. Those who had were never heard from again, and it was assumed that they had died. Maybe this had been happening in other places, then? Places that weren't Loch Ness.

But what he was saying...that their magical abilities would be the key to stopping the Fahlyn...did that mean he couldn't use his spear to stab the baddies like a hero from the old tales? He would have to...transform?

No, that didn't sound at all like something he wanted to do.

Still, what the man said had some truth as well. If they could defeat the Fahlyn, they might be hailed as heroes. Lachlan wouldn't be spat at for being a Jaeger, or told no, there were no free rooms for Jaegers. Or have someone try to kill him after he had just saved their life. No, he could get praised instead.

Honestly, were he to choose between staying a Jaeger or becoming human, even if that made him weaker, he would choose to become a human. But he knew that was impossible. This, however, seemed like the next best thing, even if he had to make use of his Jaeger powers to save the world. Sae then, the monster 'comes a man in the een o' the world. Were it onybody else, ah'd think he's talkin oot his fanny flaps, boot the professor isnae a man t'lie. Which means, 'tis the truth, an' a right barry truth i'tis.

He started to tune in fully again when Professor Jekyll addressed the group as a whole again. Apparently they were supposed to go to Setsu, a country that Lachlan had heard of, but never been to. Most of his wanderings had been in the lawless areas between kingdoms. In fact, he was born in one such area. Still, strange or not, the place needed his help. At least it seemed like most of the people there were Jaegers or...Pseudo-Jaegers, whatever that meant. Half Jaeger, half human?

With that, the professor departed from the room, waving his hand dismissively. "You have a day or two before your mission begins. I suggest you use it wisely...prepare, mingle, train...whatever. Just please do not tear of the interior of the Tower of Babel!"

That Auxandur prince left as well, and then Ellie followed soon after, talking about sparring? Oh, no. Nonononono. While he was most familiar with Ellie and Cory, and thus, wanted to follow them, because, well, they seemed like nice people, especially Cory, even though he wasn't technically a people, but a bird...person? Well, anyway, they were nice, and while he didn't know that the other people here were mean, per se, he just...didn't know them. Not really. But he couldn't follow after them, because Ellie wanted to spar. And sparring meant touching. And touching meant accidents.

So, instead, Lachlan stared around the room awkwardly. He was probably supposed to be saying something here, right? Something witty that could captivate the entire room, or maybe something funny, like oh he forgot his broom too? Except no, he didn't really have a broom...haha...ha? No, that wouldn't work. That didn't even sound funny in his head. If he couldn't be witty or funny, then what could he be? Or maybe, he didn't actually have to talk at all? Yes, that sounded nice. Not talking. Which meant not getting anybody mad, unless, wait, would they be mad at him because he wasn't talking? Maybe they'd tell him to stop being a right wally and just say something, otherwise it'd get really awkward in here? Boot how is't mah fault naebody's sayin' a'thing? Or a'least nae yet. Hasnae been t'at lang. Maybe he was thinking too much. Yes, that was probably it.

But if he didn't talk at all, then mightn't the others think he didn't like them? That he only wanted to talk to Cory? What if that gave them the wrong impression? Maybe they'd think he thought he was above them? But he didn't think that! But they might think he thought that. In which case, there was only one thing for it.

"Uh...ah...well, I guess uhh...that was...interesting? Or rather, it was kind of...scary? Or something. Well, I guess it sounds dumb to be scared of a picture, but it was a rather unpleasant picture, right? So uhh...what do we do now? Maybe we should...go prepare? Not that I'm saying we should do that, just...yeah." He wanted to slap himself. "Yeah, so...what do you all think? I guess, of what just happened. We're working together now, right? To prevent Grimm's destruction...that makes us heroes!" he started to get excited. "Yeah, heroes. But, uhh, it sounds like it's going to be difficult. And pretty dangerous. I guess that means we'll have to work hard, right? Or maybe...not so hard? At least, I think it'd involve working hard. Not that I'm saying any of us are weak, just...well it's a pretty big task, at least, that's what I think."

Sieg just folded his arms and listened at first, but then he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. The cat woman, the one that had still yet to introduce herself was looking in his direction. What could be so interesting over in this direction? He took a quick glance to the other side of him to see what could catch her attention, but he couldn't see anything but the wall. Then what could she be---

No, she couldn't be looking at him, could she? He turned to see if that was the case, but by the time he looked back, she had looked away. Maybe he was just going crazy... Eric had started talking again anyways.

“I’m surprised you would bring that up, my dear slayer. That was something I would mention within the mission briefing, however I suppose I can explain that for the moment. Yes, while the Fahlyn, from what we can tell are a hive mind and formless darkness...they hold more power than you realize. These demons feed off of negative emotions...and when they continue, from what research we’ve come across...the prey they seek after, shall end up going through a metamorphosis and inevitably, become a Fahlyn themselves. Our head of research, Dr. Phila Stone hypothesized this and while we’ve yet to prove it, it’s not unlikely that this wouldn’t be the case. After all, these are creatures of a different world...one where our perception of rules and regulations do not match up to their desires. Furthermore, to answer the second portion of your question, they have powerful variants of themselves. As mentioned, these creatures are formless, but they will take the appearance of whatever they need to in order to get the best results. Nothing...is off limits to them.”

"I'm sorry... what?" Sieg was taken back by this statement. Were these monsters or parasites? Nothing he had ever encountered in his travels sounded as dangerous as these things, and Eric was going to throw in complete amateurs head first into this? Sure, that was the way Sieg was thrown into this, but he was magically enhanced by a dragon. These Jaegers likely wouldn't last a fortnight at best.

His thoughts were interrupted by the cat woman looking at him once more. This time, he couldn't doubt it, she was looking at him. Why would a beautiful woman--- Jaeger--- look at him? He felt his cheeks heating up and he quickly averted his eyes, focusing back on the mission. Now he was acting like a teenager... how disgraceful for a 'Dragon Slayer'. Didn't he just tell himself he wouldn't fall for her wiles?

Other people began to question how they were supposed to fight these monsters, to which Sieg had to agree. He had no clue why they were...

Oh gods, Eric was putting him on babysitting duty, wasn't he? Great, just great. Before he could spiral down this line of thought, however, he saw some motion. The cat woman had taken off her shawl and let her hair flow free. Damn, as if she wasn't distracting before. Sieg reached behind him and sloppy placed his cloak back on, doing his absolute best to get his face covered by his hood. Last thing he need was to have people seeing him blush. He needed to at least look the part of a mighty Dragon Slayer.

"Do you really think that you can do something as grand as saving the world with children?" Lopt asked. 

"Oh, I'm curious about that to," Sieg muttered as he tried to calm himself down. Soon, however, all the questions were asked, and Eric had dismissed them.

“Well, it was nice to meet you all. I’m sure we’ll all get to know each other real well by the end of this. I’m going to head to the sparring arena if anyone wants to follow? Gotta work off this breakfast somehow, I think.” It seemed the raven and its human host were ready to train. Well, as much as Sieg didn't like the idea of them going into battle, he would make sure that he would help them be ready.

"Uh...ah...well, I guess uhh...that was...interesting? Or rather, it was kind of...scary? Or something. Well, I guess it sounds dumb to be scared of a picture, but it was a rather unpleasant picture, right?" The boy with the funny accent was nervous, and Sieg couldn't blame him. "So uhh...what do we do now? Maybe we should...go prepare? Not that I'm saying we should do that, just...yeah. Yeah, so...what do you all think? I guess, of what just happened. We're working together now, right? To prevent Grimm's destruction...that makes us heroes!" he started to get excited. "Yeah, heroes. But, uhh, it sounds like it's going to be difficult. And pretty dangerous. I guess that means we'll have to work hard, right? Or maybe...not so hard? At least, I think it'd involve working hard. Not that I'm saying any of us are weak, just...well it's a pretty big task, at least, that's what I think."

"Heroes, huh?" Sieg spoke up with a soft chuckle and small smile. "That does sound nice," He quickly shifted back to his stoic (or attempt to be, anyways) self. "But, what Lopt brought up earlier is a valid point. Even if you were gathered here by Jekyll, don't feel as if you need to throw your lives away. You have your whole lives ahead of you," He paused, considering if he should extend his offer. "Truth is, usually Jekyll will just point me in a direction and tell me to get something done, and I'll do it. That's how it's been for the past two years. The fact that he thought it was necessary to call on all of you and place me in this team means he truly believes this is very dangerous. So if we're on a mission and you think it's too dangerous for you, feel free to hide behind me, and use me as your shield. That's what I'm here for,"

He stood up, moving to the door. "If you don't think you can fight, it'll be best to head to the training area. I'll do my best to help you out, if you need it. It'll just... take like... half an hour for me to show up... so... no rush," Well, this was now officially awkward for him. And he just sounded decently cool to. He headed out the door, walking down the hall, taking off his cloak as he did. He needed a haircut, his damn hair was all the way back down to his knees again. He passed by Alex, who was standing by a painting. 

"I...really don't like any of this...what do you think? ...do you have any bright ideas?" the Jaeger asked. Sieg shook his head.

"Greg there's a good listener, but if he can answer, he hasn't answered me yet," Sieg spoke up. "Anyways, you should head into the training room in half an hour. We gotta see if you're one that protects, or gets protected," With that, he headed further down the hall. Time to get this unruly hair down to a semblance of control.

Everyone quickly began leaving. Some, like that girl with the bird, claimed they'd be heading to the sparring room wherever that was which meant it was the perfect time for mischief.

Robin looked around at the remaining Jaegers "Well then I suppose it's my turn to make an exit?" he asked rhetorically. "Though we'll be seeing each other soon I'm sure I fare thee well, each of you, until that time comes." with a curt bow and a tip of the hat he left.

In his room Robin sorted through his piles of cloths determined to make the right choice. He'd hold up an outfit to his mirror and change shape to find a form that accents the outfit best, never satisfied. Though he'd traveled all over and owned a plethora of identities he couldn't quite find one that would suit this "Training" his new teammates were interested in. That was until he remembered Nathaniel. Robin had loved Nathaniel the second he saw him, tall, muscular, and confident, but none of that had made him covet the young heir. As he took on the physique of the man he was reminded both why he'd wanted him so then and why he barely wore him now. Those eyes, they were what he'd truly been after, icy and cold but somehow soft, a storm cloud grey that could only compliment the midnight black hair the fell to shoulder length. Nathaniel would do nicely. Alas those eyes came with the rest of Nathaniel, being one of his larger forms in every sense of the word Robin had discovered and despaired soon after acquiring the name that he had no cloths that fit other than an ugly pair of sandals, a leather vest so thick it was practically armor, and some tattered wool pants that were beyond uncomfortable to wear.

"Just this once" He thought "He'll have to do." Robin flexed his now impressive muscles, admiring them as well as testing his coordination in the unfamiliar body, before grabbing a small pouch containing the stones he'd snuck into the tower and finding his way to the sparring room.

Fortunately Robin had managed to make it to the room first despite his poor snese of layout of the Tower of Babel, unfortunately for Robin his meager collection of rocks wasn't nearly enough to encircle the entire room as he'd hoped. Instead Robin sat himself in the center of the room and began making a ring around himself, barely finishing his spell as the first of the group arrived.

"Greetings Jaegers!" He boomed, trying to remember that bravado and capture it as close to perfect as he could as he stood and saluted "Shall we start?"

Jekyll was no fun, that much Catriona could conclude fairly quickly. He was all business and took her question as her simply not paying attention. A fair assumption really, the woman only wanted some alone time with the Dragon Slayer. As the man continued answering everything he could with every detail he cared to offer, which admittedly wasn't anything decisive, the cait sith continued messing with Sieg. Their eyes met briefly which clearly bothered the man. As the game of cat and mouse went on the man eventually pulled his cloak on to cover himself. Something of a shy one. How cute. With Jekyll done talking at them the woman sat for a moment thinking. She really wasn't feeling this whole fahlyn thing at all. It sounded like a chore for some busy body not a free spirit like herself. She'd yet to be properly compensated for the dirty trick played on her to get her here in the first place so it felt like a poor business decision to lend her magic to this cause. As she mused about what she might do, some of the others spoke. Lachlan was a particularly chatty one. A fun toy for later she thought. A single touch might be enough to break the lad and that was too easy. She needed something more... stimulating to mess around with for now. She didn't have to wait long as Sieg stood, putting his large stature into better reference. It was difficult to find taller men, let alone this much taller. That alone was enough to settle her first order of business.

"Well everyone, this has been invigorating. I'm sure you'll all work hard so I don't have to." Catriona said to excuse herself with a mischievous smile spread across her face. "You can come by my place later for obedience lessons little pup." she added cheekily with a wink to Lucine before leaving to follow behind Sieg. Her footsteps were light and near silent, fitting for a cat. She made sure to tread particularly carefully around Alexandre who Sieg had spoken with. Royalty wasn't much her thing. At least not yet but especially not deposed royalty. Where was the fun if she couldn't con him out of a kingdom? No for now, she simply trailed the Dragon Slayer down the hall. For her diligence she received the reward of seeing the man remove his cloak and reveal his long unkempt hair. It was almost longer than her own she'd wager but that was something to judge when she was running a hand through it. She closed the gap ever so slightly, not going out of her way to have the man not notice her before she was only a couple feet away.

"What's a big strong human man doing here with all us naughty beasts?" Catriona playfully put out to finally announce herself. "Maybe Jekyll thinks you can make us behave... but I wonder how much experience from slaying dragons translates to cats..." she said, giggling to herself as she quickly trotted up to Sieg's side. This was more like it. Away from all the other Jaegers, just her and a human man like it ought to be. A curious expression and a twitch of the ears were tossed in for good measure. Classic tricks to be certain but if that was all it took she wouldn't complain.

lucine.png

"You have a day or two before your mission begins. I suggest you use it wisely...prepare, mingle, train...whatever. Just please do not tear of the interior of the Tower of Babel!"

Getting started that soon, huh? That was fine by Lucine. In fact, she preferred it that way. And the way Lucine planned to use that time was...

"You can come by my place later for obedience lessons little pup."

Not like that. "I'll pass," Lucine huffed, as the cat lady made her way out of the room.

"Uh...ah...well, I guess uhh...that was...interesting? Or rather, it was kind of...scary? Or something. Well, I guess it sounds dumb to be scared of a picture, but it was a rather unpleasant picture, right? So uhh...what do we do now? Maybe we should...go prepare? Not that I'm saying we should do that, just...yeah. Yeah, so...what do you all think? I guess, of what just happened. We're working together now, right? To prevent Grimm's destruction...that makes us heroes! Yeah, heroes. But, uhh, it sounds like it's going to be difficult. And pretty dangerous. I guess that means we'll have to work hard, right? Or maybe...not so hard? At least, I think it'd involve working hard. Not that I'm saying any of us are weak, just...well it's a pretty big task, at least, that's what I think."

"Mhm. I've taken some pretty tough jobs before, but this is on a whole new scale." With a whole new scale of paycheck to match. Just trying to figure out what she'd do with that fortune was dizzying. But that made it exciting! The whole "saving the world" thing was also pretty good. After downing the rest of her meal, Lucine shot up from her seat. His Highness and... what was the cloak guy's name again? Lucine must have forgotten during the briefing, assuming he ever introduced himself in the first place. Whatever it was, he'd already left too. Among other people.

"And so, since we're about to take on something most of you have never seen before, we should train ourselves!" Already making for the door, Lucine continued "Anyone who wants to see if they're up to snuff, follow me!" Perhaps picking a specific opponent wouldn't be bad either. Looking over the others in the room, her eyes settled on... Lachlan. "You in particular. Come on, we're having us a sparring match."

"Oh, I'm curious about that too," Sieg muttered, attracting Lopt's attention. Maybe he would follow this curious fellow once all was said and done here. He seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, if this was anything to judge by. However, before he could thank his surprise supporter, someone else cut in, objecting to his question. How quaint.

“I mean no offense, my dear,” Lopt turned to Elsie, pretending to be shocked, “only that... is it wise to throw someone with their entire life ahead of them into the fray? It’s a terrible thing to see someone as young as us die. Especially when many of us look so frail...”

“I guess…” She replied. “I dunno, I’m not planning on dying any time soon.”

"I don't believe any of us are... I'm certainly not."

The rest of the group went through their motions, but Lopt's attention turned to Sieg once more. Not a Jaeger, but not a human? And with such clear disdain for Jaegers... Lopt couldn't help but be curious.

"Heroes, huh? That does sound nice, but what Lopt brought up earlier is a valid point. Even if you were gathered here by Jekyll, don't feel as if you need to throw your lives away. You have your whole lives ahead of you... Truth is, usually Jekyll will just point me in a direction and tell me to get something done, and I'll do it. That's how it's been for the past two years. The fact that he thought it was necessary to call on all of you and place me in this team means he truly believes this is very dangerous. So if we're on a mission and you think it's too dangerous for you, feel free to hide behind me, and use me as your shield. That's what I'm here for," Sieg headed towards the door, before continuing. "If you don't think you can fight, it'll be best to head to the training area. I'll do my best to help you out, if you need it. It'll just... take like... half an hour for me to show up... so... no rush."

Ah, he was the heroic type, even if he acted serious and coarse. All the more interesting! The more serious or oblivious they were, the more fun the nut was to crack... And Lopt figured he'd take that nut up on his offer. After all, he had just called himself frail and weak, so it only made sense to follow along, right? Time to 'toughen up' the traditional way. However, it seemed that the lusty cat had the same taste in targets as Lopt himself.

"What's a big strong human man doing here with all us naughty beasts? Maybe Jekyll thinks you can make us behave... but I wonder how much experience from slaying dragons translates to cats..." Catriona giggled as she sidled up to Sieg.

Lopt had to suppress the urge to roll his eyes, the idea that he had the same taste in targets as this woman turning his stomach. Well, no matter. He was better at it. Clearing his throat to announce his presence, Lopt spoke.

"I'm very sorry to interrupt, but... You offered training, so I figured I'd tag along until then. After all, no harm in getting to know those I'll be working with, right? And despite the start, you seem fairly reliable."

Sieg sighed to himself as he walked down the hallway. He was finally out of that gathering hall, no longer having to be stifled by appearances and being surrounded by people he didn't know. Sure, he'd have to go back into it at in thirty minutes, but he'd have thirty minutes of peace at the very least.

"What's a big strong human man doing here with all us naughty beasts?" A voice called out to him, startling him enough that he almost dropped his cloak. No, no, he was crazy, there was no way she followed him when there was so much more do to. He turned his head slowly to his side and got to confirm with his own eyes that yes, she did actually follow him. Why would she do that?! And dammit, why was a simple curious look and ear twitch so cute? "Maybe Jekyll thinks you can make us behave... but I wonder how much experience from slaying dragons translates to cats..."

From his personal experience, none. Cats absolutely hated him, as did most animals, actually. Probably because they sensed that he was unnatural.

"I'm very sorry to interrupt, but... You offered training, so I figured I'd tag along until then. After all, no harm in getting to know those I'll be working with, right? And despite the start, you seem fairly reliable." And again, Sieg was startled. A man that faced down a dragon, bandit tribes, and monsters without flinching, was not acting like a child jumping at every noise in the dark because of a cat and a bunny. Just wow. 

"I... I mean... I guess you can tag along," Sieg told Lopt after finally calming down, the confusion obvious in his voice. "I'm just going to get a haircut before the training though...," He explained. "I guess that'll let you meet Nicky...," he mused before eyeing Catriona, trying to come up with a cohesive answer to her question. He then realized that it probably looked like he was staring, so he averted his eyes and coughed a little.

"As for what a human's doing here... well... I wouldn't exactly call myself... human anymore... I mean, how many humans have you met with a chest that glows in the dark?" He mentioned, using a finger to trace the tattoo on his cheek, leading the finger down the trail to his chest. "But... as I said earlier... I'm not a Jaeger either... I used to be human, after all...," He sighed, shaking his head. "Sorry, that's probably more depressing than what you all would want to hear right now. I have no clue what Jekyll is thinking, but I'm almost hundred percent sure that dragon slaying and handling cats is like comparing apples to oranges. Doesn't mean I'm not willing to learn," After all, he needed to make sure he could keep everyone safe. He better damn well learn soon. "A-anyways... I'm just... going to... keep going... yeah...," With that, he walked off, hoping he didn't look as nervous as he felt. What was with those two?

He was quiet as he walked away, only nodding or occasionally waving to any personnel he passed by. It didn't take long for the Dragon Slayer to end up at his destination. It was a small room, looking as if it'd fit maybe six people at max. Lined along the nearest wall were four comfortable looking chairs, the set of chairs sitting across from a different seat, one tailored made as a red barber chair. The lone seat sat on the opposite side of the room, a sink behind it.

With no one else currently in the room, he sat down in one of the comfortable seats, making sure he was closest to the corner, trying to hide away as much as possible, a feat impossible for the man, as he stood out like a sore thumb.

They weren’t lost. Why would they be lost? Elsie had been a part of ARCH for how long now, anyway? Whatever it was, it was enough time for Elsie to have familiarized herself with the layout of the place. So even if she and Corbin had taken a wrong turn or two, she easily would have been able to course-correct and they’d be right back on track.

“I think we’re lost,” Corbin said.

Of course, Corbin had to go and spoil the illusion. “It’s not my fault these hallways all look the same,” Elsie said. “I mean, I wanted to make something this labyrinthine, I’d at least want a minotaur, right?” She paused. “Does Jekyll have a minotaur?”

The conversation proceeded to go nowhere quickly. The only thing that changed was that Elsie gave up on walking. Instead, she mounted her broomstick and meandered down, weaving this way and that along each corridor looking for something that she recognized. Corbin, too, had moved from Elsie’s shoulder to the tip of the broomstick, his own head on a swivel as he aided in the search.

It took a while, but Elsie and Corbin did eventually find something a bit more familiar, or more familiar than all the same-looking doors; they found the door to their own room. They'd been going in a big circle. “Oh,” was all Elsie could say.

Corbin only had a little bit more. “I mean, you know how to get there from here, right?” he said.

It was true. She did. Elsie had spent enough time going back and forth between her room and the arena. What else was she supposed to do in the downtime anyway? It wasn’t like she’d seen any other Jaegers hanging around until just today, and when she wasn’t on assignment, she’d wanted to keep herself sharp. Plus, on the off chance she did get to meet someone new, she figured there was where they would show up. There or the kitchen, anyway.

She wanted to get there as quick as possible, but a few moments resting couldn’t hurt either, right? Maybe she could refresh her glamour? Freshen up in general?

It was just a quick duck inside anyway, so Elsie took that opportunity. It also let her talk with Corbin without either of them being distracted by a possibly familiar rogue detail. “What do you think they all do?” Elsie said. “The other Jaegers, I mean. You were the one looking around at all of them.”

“Who knows?” Corbin said. “I mean, if you looked at you, what would you think you were?”

Elsie looked at herself in the mirror and shrugged. “I mean, the broomstick, the hat-”

“Without the hat and the broomstick and all that,” Corbin cut in. “Would you still think you’re a witch?”

Elsie cycled through a few glamours. “I dunno, maybe not? There’s something weird probably still, like the eyes probably if you got a good look at me.”

“Right,” Corbin said. “Nobody else there looked like a witch. They all just looked as weird as you. I can… maybe guess at Lachlan. Maybe. But that’s about it.”

“I like Lach,” Elsie said. “I know he’s, like, the only one we talked to, but he’s probably my favorite so far. The other one, uh, Lopt? I think that’s how you pronounce his name. Um, he’s harder to get a read on, I guess. From my perspective, at least.”

Only a few moments later, Elsie settled on a look she was comfortable with and the two headed back out. They remained on Elsie’s broomstick simply out of convenience, but it really was only a few quick turns and they were just outside the arena. “I wonder if we’re still the first ones here,” Elsie said as she opened the door.

“Greetings, Jaegers!”

Well, that answered that question.

They were second, though the first was not someone Elsie recognized. The other one was a large bear of a man who, if he weren’t a bit of distance away in the center of the arena, would probably tower over Elsie. He was standing at attention and saluting, too, which only broadened the supposed height gap. “Shall we start?” he asked.

“Just the one Jaeger, actually,” Elsie called back. “Hi. I think people have been calling me Ellie, so I guess you can too if you tell me yours.”

To his question, though Elsie said, “I was actually expecting some other people, but if you’re game, I guess we can fight.” She gripped her broom handle tightler as Corbin took off from his perch and into the skies. “Ready when you are.”

“Just the one Jaeger, actually

“The girl with the bird?” Robin thought as he stared at what he hoped would be the first of many new names. “How . . . unique. I don’t believe I have one with different eyes.

“Hi. I think people have been calling me Ellie, so I guess you can too if you tell me yours. I was actually expecting some other people, but if you’re game, I guess we can fight.” Ellie, which he doubted was her full name, took hold of her broom while her bird flew above the two “Ready when you are.

Robin watched the bird fly around the room for a bit while he thought up a plan of attack. This girl didn’t seem that threatening to him so he figured her flying pet would be her main form of attack aided, as strange as it seemed, by that broomstick she clutched. The bird would be no issue with his circle and a simple broom was most likely incapable of causing serious harm. It should be easy.

“Very well then Ellie. You can call me Nathanial, I’ll be your sparring partner for the day, why don’t you start by showing me what you’re capable of?” Robin stretched out his arms as if offering his body as a punching bag which, as far as anyone else could have known, he was.

The witch raised an eyebrow -- perhaps she was a little confused? Still, she lifted off the ground deftly enough on her broomstick, and, once she was comfortably five or six feet off the ground, called out, “Are you sure? Okay, here I come…

She released her left-hand from her broomstick and raised it high over her head. “Hail the sky, the clouds, the rain,” she said. Her voice was more echoey than Robin remembered. “Grant me your fire, my enemy’s bane.

And then it seemed the air itself was sliced in twain as a bolt of pure-white lightning leaped from the witch’s palm and began arcing around the room, always close to the ceiling but never quite striking anything of note -- just generating roar after roar of thunder wherever it went -- until she brought her hand down and the lightning dove straight towards Robin.

It was at that moment he realized his mistake. Humans, his preferred prey, were much more simple than Jaegers. Not quite as smart. Not quite as difficult to impress. Not quite as able to summon lightning. Robin was barely able to dodge the bolt, unfortunately abandoning his barrier in the process, as the heat of the crackling electricity crossed the back of his neck. “Very impressive. It must be my move then.

Robin rushed her, not quite sure what he’d do if he got an opening but thinking it was so much like the persona he’d chosen it’d be suspicious to do otherwise. Without even moving his feet he’d near completely closed the moderate distance between them. As a last-second instinct, he lunged out for her hoping the surprise of his speedy advance would allow him to shake her balance and toss her towards the circle.

In his bravado, though, he’d neglected the other half of his opponent. The bird -- the crow, the raven, whatever it was -- called out “Left!” and the broom and girl darted off to the side. And yet… And yet when Robin got a clear look at her face, she’d certainly been thrown off-balance. She raised her hand again, though, and the lightning came back. Again, it arced around the room, jumping from point to point until it lunged at Robin again.

He was ready for it this time, though, or more ready, and so the act of getting out of the way was closer to a sidestep than an out-and-out leap. But the girl raised her right hand too, and from that came… was that ice? They looked to be the size of Robin’s own stones, but while hers were moving, his were stationary and seemed so far away. More and more came from the witch’s outstretched hand until they’d practically surrounded her. When she lowered her hand, they too sped towards Robin.

He couldn’t help but grin, though, at the thought of a talking bird and of course, while he’d daydreamed about soaring through the clouds after dodging that second wave of lightning, he was struck square in the jaw by a buffet of icy shards and knocked off his feet.

His mind worked overtime to keep up his little ruse and process the potential that the witch’s partner brought. “Well done Jaeger!” “Does it even have a name?” “I’ll not let you pull one over on me again though!” “Is this a two for one deal? Does getting her mean I get a free bird?!” He tried his best to shake off the frozen sucker punch he’d received while he dashed around the room in an attempt to become a more evasive target, waiting for the perfect opening to shove her closer to his stones. “Now I’ll have to fight at full speed.”

“Well, have at it, then,” the witch called out. Robin could tell she was trying to stay confident, but her voice wavered a little bit. Her flying, too, became more erratic, and both of her hands returned to her broom as she guided herself around the arena. She had a few more hailstones trailing behind her as she flew, though some had fallen to the ground and melted on impact.

Robin gave chase, and soon they were in a game of cat and mouse, or “frog prince and witch” as it were. She mostly kept to flying in a circle, with only the occasional bob or weave. “Tell me when!” she called out over her shoulder, though Robin wasn’t sure what she meant by that. Was she taunting him? He picked up his pace but was only met by another call: “Tell me when!” she said.

Robin still didn’t say anything, but after another few seconds chase, the witch dropped her altitude and veered around, sending another spray of hailstones back at him, before she rose back into the air. This attack, though, he was ready for that one, and between that and the witch’s errant flying affecting her aim, Robin managed to weave through all of them and continue charging forward.

The witch, though, had paused, suspended several meters above the ground. She wasn’t looking at Robin anymore; she was looking up, and she looked annoyed. When Robin followed her gaze, he saw that her bird was descending, landing onto her broomstick and… were they talking? 

“What are you doing?” the witch said.

When the bird responded, though, he was quieter than his previous cries, and Robin could only make out the word “circle”. Whatever was said, it caused the witch to slowly guide herself back down until her feet finally touched the ground.

“A little birdie told me…” the witch started, before pausing to catch her breath. She was breathing heavier than Robin expected for someone who’d only sat on a broomstick the last few minutes. “Sorry, um, I’m not- my nose isn’t bleeding or anything, is it?” It wasn’t. “Sorry, um, anyway, he told me you’ve got a magic circle over there? What’s that about?

Robin’s face was undecipherable. A rush of emotions flashed through all at once. Panic that he’d been discovered, adrenaline from the whole encounter, excitement at the challenge a Jaeger presented, they were all there. He hoped all the other Jaegers would be this much fun.

“That?” Robin said, gesturing towards his circle, hiding his emotions with a skeptical voice as if he had no idea what she was talking about, and stepping closer to the seemingly exhausted witch, hoping his current size would intimidate her into believing him. “It’s nothing more than a meditation circle. Humans can’t do magic, after all.” Robin took delight in his wordplay and made note that he’d only uttered a single lie so far. He stepped closer -- he was an expert at invading privacy as well as acting like a truly despicable being -- and looked down at her with a horrid expression. “You do believe that . . . don’t you?” Robin kept stepping closer and forcing her back closer and closer to his circle. He hoped his enormous frame would convince her he could crush her with a single hand. When he believed he was both close enough and she was scared enough, Robin bent down to her level. “I suppose if you don’t the only real way to know . . .” He grinned and shoved her to the stones, ecstatic with his first catch “ . . . is to step into them.

The witch stumbled back quite a ways; she was very close to his stones now. All it would take was one more push and… now what was she doing?

Her bird was on her shoulder, looking right at him. That part wasn’t the problem. The problem was that she was- was she sweeping? The witch -- Ellie, she said to call her -- she was still short of breath, but she still managed to say, “Here’s what I figure:” A breath. “If it is a meditation circle, as you say, we can just put everything back when we’re done.” Another. “But if it is magic, I could probably just…” With a smooth stroke of her broom, she flicked one of his pebbles out of alignment. “I bet it’s just a normal circle now, right?

Robin deflated, literally, as the entirety of the fight caught up to him. His hair shortened, his muscles evaporated, and soon enough he was in his true form giving a somewhat forced sheepish grin. The clothes he so hated were now at least four sizes too big and had to be held against him to keep from losing whatever dignity he thought he had. “That was fun though, right?

Sieg was an easy enough read as it happened. Catriona could tell her classic tricks were flustering him some. She did hope he'd put up a bit more resistance of course but there was nothing wrong with an easy catch, especially one like this. But then life was never that simple was it. How foolish of her to forget she was in a compound full of other Jaeger. One such announced himself with the most obvious lie of being sorry to interrupt them. No one who said that ever meant it, but as the cat woman turned to see the the bunny eared man from the briefing room something told her it was particularly true of this individual. A flash of annoyance and disgust passed her face as she turned back to Sieg who began stumbling through his answers to their questions. He was adorable as he stuttered and thought in real time. Obviously something was distressing him. No doubt he disliked third wheels, as most would. With his answers given, Sieg walked off ahead, presumably to go get that haircut he'd mentioned. Catriona's pleasant and charmed face she'd maintained through most of the introductions faded away to one of complete contempt as she shifted her attention back to Lopt.

"It's a very ugly thing to get in the way of a woman's feelings. Doubly so given the cute front of yours." she started with a serious pitch and tone as yet unknown to her voice by any of the people she'd met today. But it wasn't long before the usual playful face and voice returned. "Do it again and I'll kill you, 'kay?" she said with a giggle as a held out a hand with her palm up toward the other Jaeger. In it appeared what looked to be the silhouette of a house cat. With a wink from Catriona it dispersed into a shroud that engulfed that section of the hallway in utter darkness for a few minutes, during which the woman made her way off and away from the unwelcome intruder.

But Catriona wasn't off to follow Sieg. She'd done well enough to start in that regard she figured. At least, so far as she'd be able to with the the others soon to be swarming to the mix of human and jaeger's side. The Dragon Slayer would have been late to his little training session if she'd had her full way but it was fine for now. No, instead she made for her own room to retrieve her staff. Maybe she'd watch Sieg train the others. There was a certain appeal to watching a man exercise after all. And she could only imagine the mistakes he might make from catching sight of her on the sidelines. Biding her time wouldn't be so bad, now that things were finally happening. It could have done without the other jaeger's but with how boring the weeks leading up to the group assembling had been, it was definitely an improvement.

Lopt noted how uncomfortable he made Sieg, as well as how agitated he made Catriona, resisting the urge to smile. At least, until the dragonslayer began his sob story. For someone so brooding and standoffish from before to be this depressing... What had happened to him? Lopt's earlier comments about young people were more aimed at deriding Jekyll than seriously putting doubt into the minds of these people, yet here this young man was a veritable ball of nerves with a strong front. Did that make him more interesting, or less? Was he an enemy of the Jaeger, or simply someone rolling in self-loathing? Whichever the case was, Lopt intended to follow along. After all, he had committed to this bit.

However, following along would have to wait until the cat was done with him. Boy, did she look unamused.

"It's a very ugly thing to get in the way of a woman's feelings. Doubly so given the cute front of yours." she started with a serious pitch and tone as yet unknown to her voice by any of the people she'd met today. But it wasn't long before the usual playful face and voice returned. "Do it again and I'll kill you, 'kay?"

"Veeeeeeery cute~" Lopt spoke with a cutesy female voice, all pretense dropped as the cat was the only one in earshot, "But who would have interest in such a whore? Lust only gets you so far, miss. You should learn how to have real fun~"

Lopt's voice returned to normal as Catriona left, shaking his head and laughing. It would seem he had a rival who saw right through him from the start. And she also enjoyed toying with unsuspecting people. Much the same taste, too. But who would keep their act up longer...? Shrugging, he followed after Sieg, only to find the dragonslayer sinking into a corner. This one was a bit... delicate, so he decided to take the seat furthest from him against the wall, crossing his fingers and smiling softly.

"So, what are you, then, if not a Jaeger?" Lopt asked, smiling but taking care to not make eye contact, as not to scare his quarry, "You seem like you've been through a lot in your life, even though you don't look much older than me... You don't have to talk if you don't want to, but maybe you can make a new friend? I know I would appreciate having someone strong in my corner."

"Greg there's a good listener, but if he can answer, he hasn't answered me yet. Anyways, you should head into the training room in half an hour. We gotta see if you're one that protects, or gets protected."

Alexandre stared ahead at the painting that the cloaked man called "Greg", not wanting to make direct eye contact with him just right there and then. For lack of a better word, he felt incredibly embarrassed about being caught talking to an inanimate object like this. He blamed this on his constant isolation from others in Farway. Of course he had his caretaker, Maurice, but he could only talk to him for so long...so his next best thing was to talk to the inanimate objects in his castle, from candelabras to the kitchen's dining sets. It was definitely a habit that was hard to break.

Once the cloaked man left with quite a number of the Jaegers following, Alexandre followed suit, exhaling greatly. As long as no one plans to bring this up, we should be fine... he thought, exhaling once more.

Alexandre was surprised to see that he had arrived at the training room before the "Dragon Slayer" did. He guessed he should've been paying more attention to what the man was saying to the rabbit and cat Jaegers a bit more closely. Nevertheless, it was obvious others were here in the room, namely the witch and the one who wanted to be named Robin. It had seemed that these two had just finished a bit of a training session and rather than assume to "take the stage", so to speak, he simply moved over and awaited the others.

After all, the "Dragon Slayer" did want to see whether he was one that needed protection or if he would be the one to protect.

...I'll have to show my prowess without relying on that...unless I'm forced to. Alexandre became engrossed in thought as he leaned up against the wall, exhaling softly.

Jekyll answered everyone's questions, giving the group a lot of information to process. Wada fiddled with his mallet a bit as he turned towards the others. He hoped that they understood what the man was saying, because it was all a bit much for him to understand. His main takeaway from it all was they were protecting Grimm from these scary monsters and that they fed on negative emotions, and that they were spreading. Some of the Jaegers left to go train up, while some of the others stood by. Wada stood up from his chair, stretching before grabbing his mallet and tossing it over his shoulder once mer.

His attention was caught by Lachlan's speech about being heroes! Wada beamed, ignoring all the concerned parts. "Yes, we're gonna be heroes! Stop the evil beasties and protect all of Grimm!" He said, mostly to himself. This is exactly what he wanted, not truly grasping the gravity of the situation he had signed up for. Everyone else, however, seemed to be extremely concerned about these monsters. Wada frowned. "Why y'all so worried about these things?" He said confidently, pointing towards himself. "We've got me! And I'm sure all of y'all are impressive in yer own right!" He said, twirling the mallet around. "Sure we might not know much 'bout these things outside of what Jeckyll told us, but I'm sure we can take them all. We're heroes now!"

As people started leaving, he turned towards Lucine and Lachian. "Ooh, can I watch y'all spar? It'd be good to see what we can all do if we're all gonna be on a team." Whether they agreed to let him go with them or not, he was going to go with them.

Edited by REP

While a few people did respond to Lachlan's earlier words, most of them just decided to go out the door. But, since holding a conversation actually a goal of his, it was win/win. It wasn't like he actually wanted to talk to anybody, he just didn't want to appear...odd. Antisocial. Those kinds of people, while left alone at first, were also the kind that others banded up against and tried to push around. Which sometimes included literal pushing, which meant skin contact, which meant...the boy shuddered.

Still, he'd learned a couple things. The Dragon Slayer, who had just left, was strong and thought of himself as a shield. Despite his unusual looks, his heart was truly that of a knight or hero. Lachlan felt bad for doubting him earlier. The cat girl and bunny man had left soon after, as well as that prince guy. The first prince that had arrived, not the horned prince. This was definitely going to be something to get used. Lachlan was from the rolling hills of the highlands, a place ungoverned by king and country. And now, he had to deal with not just one, but two princes. While he did worry a bit about messing up his manners and offending them, it wasn't like either of them could really set their soldiers on him, so he would just try not to think too much about it.

Ah'd better haud mah wheesht 'round them onyway, he thought. Just to be safe.

There was one other person he wanted to stay away from, too, but it seemed his wishes were to be in vain. The girl had shot up from her seat like a fish, continuing from an earlier comment she'd made. "And so, since we're about to take on something most of you have never seen before, we should train ourselves!" Already making for the door, the dog girl--he couldn't remember her name--continued "Anyone who wants to see if they're up to snuff, follow me!" Her eyes roamed over the room, before settling on...him?! Was she serious?! "You in particular. Come on, we're having us a sparring match."

Before he could protest, Wada--he remembered his name because it was rather simple and easy to remember--started to speak. "Ooh, can I watch y'all spar? It'd be good to see what we can all do if we're all gonna be on a team."

Lachlan had had a pretty good impression of this boy. He seemed the good sort, and ability to wield a giant hammer like it was nothing aside, seemed altogether pretty normal. Also anybody who shared his sentiments on heroes was somebody he could get along with. His confidence wasn't bad either. But this...with every word he spoke, he was pushing Lachlan further and further into trouble. Though maybe he could still do something about this.

"Ahahah..." the boy laughed nervously. "Actually, uhh...I think maybe it might be a better idea, no for sure a better idea, for me to watch, and you to fight? Just because, see, I'm not much a one for fighting, or at least not fighting people, see. I think I'd rather just fight the uhh...Fallen, Fahlyn things. Yeah. Also I left my spear in my room, so yeah, I'd have to go get that first, so I actually think, yes, I might just sit this one out and watch instead. Sorry, but thank goodness you're here, right Wada?" he gestured at the boy with flailing hands. "Yes, yes, this works out perfectly, doesn't it? I can't fight right now, but you have your weapon with you, so that means you can fight instead. Well, that is, if you want to. I just kind of assumed you'd want to, so apologies if I assumed wrong. But since I can't fight regardless, uhh, I'll just be going now," he attempted to slip past the two and out the door, all thoughts of making a good impression forgotten in his panic.

lucine.png

"Ooh, can I watch y'all spar? It'd be good to see what we can all do if we're all gonna be on a team."

"Ahahah... Actually, uhh...I think maybe it might be a better idea, no for sure a better idea, for me to watch, and you to fight? Just because, see, I'm not much a one for fighting, or at least not fighting people, see. I think I'd rather just fight the uhh...Fallen, Fahlyn things. Yeah. Also I left my spear in my room, so yeah, I'd have to go get that first, so I actually think, yes, I might just sit this one out and watch instead. Sorry, but thank goodness you're here, right Wada? Yes, yes, this works out perfectly, doesn't it? I can't fight right now, but you have your weapon with you, so that means you can fight instead. Well, that is, if you want to. I just kind of assumed you'd want to, so apologies if I assumed wrong. But since I can't fight regardless, uhh, I'll just be going now."

"Hold it," Lucine said, putting herself between Lachlan and the door for only a moment. "You need to stop and grab your spear is the problem? That's perfect, actually! It gives me a bit of time to do some stretches before the fight! And something dangerous like a spear... yeah, that'd make it a fair fight, too." All the more invigorated about this upcoming fight, Lucine swung the doors open and gestured for Wada to follow her. "You go get your spear, okay? I and Wada here will be waiting for you in the training room. Maybe I'll even take you both on!" Two against one... it certainly didn't seem fair. But Lucine was itching for a scuffle now that she'd gotten herself hyped up about it, and making Wada sit out didn't seem very fair!

As she started leading the way to the training room, Lucine paused. Where was that again? Uh-oh. She took a couple steps back, leaving the leading to Wada instead. "You know how to get there, right?"

Elsie tried not to react as the Nathaniel melted back into Tricky before her very eyes, though due to exhaustion, her elation at winning, or perhaps a mix of both, she couldn’t entirely suppress a wry smile. Being right about the magic circle had rejuvenated her somewhat; she wasn’t breathing quite as heavy as she was before, and watching this transformation was in the process of improving her even more. A shapeshifter! She might have guessed if she hadn’t been so focused on everything else. It made sense, after all. Why introduce someone new like that after all the introductions that had gone on back in the conference room?

“That was fun though, right?” Tricky said. It was mostly, right? It wasn’t like he’d displayed any real ability to threaten her until she’d willingly landed and he started shoving her around. And even then, the second he found himself unable to trap her, that was it. Everything else was just throwing hailstones and lightning around, and who didn’t love that?

So was it fun? “I guess,” Elsie said. The shoving part, being more recent, was fresher in Elsie’s mind than the fun parts, and part of her couldn’t help but wonder what would have happened if she’d realized too late where Tricky wanted her to go. She had Corbin to thank for that realization, but he’d flittered off when Tricky had shoved her. Only now that it was all over did he land back on Elsie’s broomstick. “Did you have fun?” Elsie asked him.

“You need to be more aware of your surroundings, I think,” Corbin said. “I’m not always going to be able to call your shots or point out some weird rocks on the ground for you.”

Elsie rolled her eyes. She’d forgotten Corbin’s idea of fun was lecturing her.

“You also should have known just calling out someone’s trick isn’t going to get them to stop using it. Especially when their name is something like ‘Tricky.’”

“Yeah, okay, I got it,” Elsie said. “Anything else?”

“Probably. Those are the two big points, though.”

Elsie was about to say something back when someone else came into the arena: Alexandre. He didn’t seem to be approaching, though. Instead, he moved over and leaned against the wall. Elsie waved at him and called out, “Hallo! Do you know who else is coming? I’m kind of tapped out for right now, but I’d enjoy watching someone else.”

"I guess, Did you have fun?"

Robin more or less ignored the Ellie girls conversation with her bird while he thought of his next move. "It's unlikely I can pull that trick on someone else while she's here so it'd be best to move beyond that for now." He began gathering his stones while the pair continued to converse, about their "sparring match" it seemed. "But I should put Nathaniel on before someone else shows up, having one Jaeger somewhat know my ability isn't ideal and I'm sure the rest will become suspicious of my change of cloths when they fit as poorly as this." Robin hiked up the tarp he had on for pants, unsure where to wait for the others as the room seemingly lacked any sort of bench or chair he could rest over to regain his composure.

"Hallo! Do you know who else is coming?" And with that his choice had been made for him. Alexandre, that royal type he was most desperate to get his hands on, had apparently arrived before the Kings of Frog's stamina leaving Robin with two options. Put Nathaniel back on with him here and risk being exposed or remain in his own shape and continue to be exposed in a different way. After a bit of mulling it over Robin determined while neither were ideal he'd already been seen in his current attire so the damage was already done.

Robin drifted over to the royal, trying and failing to keep his footwear on and cursing whoever had come up with the foolish idea of open-toed shoes as he did. "My my, we've just had quite the work out, it's such a shame you hadn't come earlier to join our little game." Robin mimed a sitting position in the air, Crossing his legs not out of habit or comfort but as a tactical choice to keep his clothing on his body. "It would have been much more interesting with a fellow noble no doubt. Other Jaegers do tend to lack that certain elegance we no doubt share." He added hoping the reminder of their shared status would encourage the Jaeger to be more open, which would make him more likely to slip up. "As our dear teammate said we're both rather exhausted at the moment but I'd be more than happy to keep you company until a more suitable partner arrived." Robin flashed his signature warm smile. Until the next of his prey arrived, assuming that witch minded her own business of course, The Frog Prince was determined to pressure the one Jekyll had called a beast into striking up a friendly conversation.

Wada's eyes lit up at the thought of sparing himself. "I'll gladly fight in your stead while you get your spear mistah!" He said eagerly, turning to Lucine. She seemed to have other plans... somewhat. She seemed to want to fight the two of them, causing Wada to tilt his head. "Hey! What makes ya think ya can even take me on alone, let alone with Lachlan?" He said. Still, it was hard to stay too mad - after all, he was about to go show what he was made of soon enough. 

He followed behind her as the two walked towards their destination. However, she suddenly stepped back, putting Wada in front of her. "You know how to get there, right?"

Wada gave a hearty chuckle, continuing to stepping forwards. "Nope!" He proudly declared, leading the two to god knows where. "If we get lost it'll give that Lachlan fellah time to find his spear though!" On impulse, he took the first left that he could, hoping that it would take them to where they were going.

Ah'm almost oot, ah'm almost oot, ah'm almost oot...

"Hold it," the dog girl stepped in front of Lachlan, blocking his path to the door.

Shite...

"You need to stop and grab your spear is the problem? That's perfect, actually! It gives me a bit of time to do some stretches before the fight! And something dangerous like a spear... yeah, that'd make it a fair fight, too."

Nonononono...thasnae the issue 'ere, lassie!

"I'll gladly fight in your stead while you get your spear mistah!"

Help ma boab, why dinnae these yins no ken whit ah mean? Lachlan despaired.

Before he could say anything more, the dog girl swung the doors open and gestured for Wada to follow her. "You go get your spear, okay? I and Wada here will be waiting for you in the training room. Maybe I'll even take you both on!"

Lachlan stared at the closed doors for a couple seconds, the gears of his mind having ground to a halt. He wondered, if he sat there long enough, the dog girl--he should probably get her name--would come back, and say, "Haha, just kidding! I don't want to fight you, I was just trying to see if you'd jump." But nothing of the sort happened. He knew, in his head, that of course it wouldn't happen, after all when had he ever been so fortunate? But still, maybe, just maybe...

He blinked. Och, ah've been stannin' 'ere like a bampot, an' naebody's said aught. The youth glanced around the room, frowning. Nothing but the chairs and other bric-a-brac. There was nobody here.

Which meant he was alone.

Which meant he could relax.

Sighing, the man rubbed his temple, taking care to avoid bumping his glasses. He didn't want to have to clean them again so soon. "Losh...whit 'ave ye gotten yerself intae, Lachlan?" Now, if he didn't want to look like a proper wally-draig, he had to grab his spear and join in. And somehow not touch anybody.

The black-haired man walked through the hallways, pausing to admire every painting and decorative piece he came across. Ach, ah nivver seen aught like this back awa by, he thought. They pented t'watter aw green boot whair the lift shows innit. Now, Lachlan wasn't like those steys who dressed themselves up in fancy dos and spent all day gawping at squares of color, and he didn't know a Haydon from a Hogarth. But he could agree that this, at least, was one fine painting. Ah cou'd lookit this fer the entire nicht, aye tha' ah cou'd. And then, he would have to tell the others, "Sorry, I was just admiring this here fine piece of art and I got sidetracked. Hope you had a good spar without me."

Or he could actually do what he was supposed to be doing. Sighing, the man left the painting, which, in a fit of whimsy, he decided to call "Greg," continuing his way down to his room. Once there, Lachlan turned the knob and sighed once more at the sight of his harpoon leaning against the wall near his bed. Reaching forward to grab it, he glanced down at the bed, taking in its perfectly pressed sheets. Accidentally sweeping his hand against the covers, he frowned when it came away coated in a fine layer of dust. Brushing it off, he grasped the handle of the harpoon, whirled around, and departed from the room.

Now, he just had to make his way to the training room. And stop and smell the roses along the way. They were quite striking, and worthy of a few--or several minutes admiration. Along with that table the vase stood on. What kind of wood was that? It was such a unique dark red color. And the wall. Quite an interesting pattern there, like that of a swirling cloud. Oh, yes, it would be a crime to just bustle along to his destination without giving his surroundings their due attention.

Lachlan grinned. "'Twould be a cryin' shame if'n ah were leat acause o'this, aye soo 'twould."

“Hallo! Do you know who else is coming? I’m kind of tapped out for right now, but I’d enjoy watching someone else.”

Alexandre was a bit surprised, hearing someone talk to him right now. He moved his gaze towards the source of the voice, seeing it coming from Elsie...the witch. Her appearance, to him, definitely said human at first glance, but the smell...oh the smell, it definitely screamed out Jaeger. And whilst Lucine, Wada, and Lachlan all had their little conversation, Alexandre thought it best to be cordial and address the witch.

"I was told to come here by the Dragon Slayer...the one who reeks of human and Jaeger at the same time." Alexandre began. "He was with the very flirtatious woman and the rabbit man, so it would be fair to say those two would most likely be joining in."

"My my, we've just had quite the work out, it's such a shame you hadn't come earlier to join our little game. It would have been much more interesting with a fellow noble no doubt. Other Jaegers do tend to lack that certain elegance we no doubt share. As our dear teammate said we're both rather exhausted at the moment but I'd be more than happy to keep you company until a more suitable partner arrived."

The young Jaeger turned his attention to the other, Robin, hearing his little proposition. Alexandre sighed lightly, before standing from his sitting position, adjusting his clothes ever so slightly. "...I've yet to meet another Jaeger noble myself. So I suppose I can indulge this a bit before the Dragon Slayer walks in." This little comment he made, definitely showed that he didn't exactly think of this prince as too much of a threat or being a suitable partner. With him saying something like this, perhaps it would cause his opponent to slip up somewhere.

He removed his gloves, his nails then becoming razor sharp, brandishing them. The young Jaeger then began to shift into a stance, his breathing being calmed as well. "If you're ready, I'll allow you the first shot."