yui

Anime Secret Santa 2019

hashire_sori_yo.gif

Tis the season of giving (and receiving) to others! And what better present to give someone than an anime they're obliged to maybe watch if they've got some time? Enter this thread. Welcome to 2019's anime secret santa!

So how's it work?

Good question! Near the bottom of this post you'll see a quick little form that should only take a few seconds to fill out. Post yours in this thread before December 14th, 0:00 (12AM) CST (that's GMT -6) to join the secret santa, and... that's all you've got to do for a couple weeks! On that date, I'll either randomize names myself or have someone else do it, and get info handed out to who you're picking an anime out for, and later, an anime you've been given by your own secret santa. However, there are some restrictions I need to put in place about what anime you're handing out to people.

1. Most importantly, the anime you give someone must be finished already, or only an episode or two from it. Anything that won't be airing its final episode before Friday, December 20th is off-limits.
  2. Keep the length of your anime of choice reasonable, please. Anything longer than two or three seasons should try to be avoided unless that person doesn't mind watching a long anime.
  3. Stuff with really explicit content like Boku no Pico, Goblin Slayer, basically any hentai series, etc, should be avoided barring the same condition as above where someone says they don't mind it. There might be kids watching! (probably not)
  4. Movies are fine too, by the way. As are series with those tiny 3-5 minute episodes like Nobunaga no Shinobi or Aggretsuko.

Once the 14th swings around and you're told who you need to pick an anime for, you've got until December 25th, 0:00CST to pick out an anime for someone based on their likes and dislikes. That's a week and a half, which should be plenty of time to think about it. On Christmas day, Yui Claus will get on his sleigh and hand out anime to all the good boys & girls on NCM, and from there y'all've got a whole month to watch it and perhaps even write a review if you feel so inclined. Up until February 1st, to be exact, at which time this thread will be locked and we'll maybe do the same thing again next year if this goes well.

And that should be all the important info covered. If there are any questions, please ask and I'll get a pinned post going with answers to important ones. For now, here's that tiny form I said you had to fill in to join the secret santa.

Spoiler

Things you like in an anime: (be as detailed or brief as you want, and if you don't mind a lengthy series and/or explicit content, please do mention that here)

Things you dislike in an anime: (see above)

MyAnimeList: (if you have one, a link to your MyAnimeList might be helpful so people can see what you enjoyed watching)

Very quick form, right? And with that all written down and this thread posted, let the anime secret santa... begin!

Things you like in an anime: 

• Quality cast
  • Quality soundtrack
  • Gut-wrenching emotion
  • Wholesome scenes

Things you dislike in an anime:

• Fanservice, unless it goes absolutely overboard ala Kill La Kill.
  • Serious harems
  • Gore
  • Pretentious writing
  • Moe shit
  • Idols
  • may edit later

My Anime List:

• have not used in years because i don't watch enough to categorize like that

What I Like:

• Less action-oriented stuff. Action and violence can still be there, but I'd rather it not be the focus of the anime. It's not a huge deal if it is, but I did want that out there.
  • Pretentious writing because I am pretentious.
  • A good soundtrack would be nice.

What I Don't Like:

• Anything long. I know this was already mentioned, but my limit is 39 episodes and even that's pushing it. 26 or less (or, better yet, a single movie) is much more preferable.
  • Fanservice. Like, it'll probably just get an eyebrow raise -- but I ask that you use your discretion.
  • That animation style where it's clearly all 3D models but it's trying to pretend that it's 2D. I don't actually know how common this is but I've come across it two or three times now which shouldn't be possible given how infrequently I actually watch anime.

MyAnimeList:

• I haven't seen nearly enough stuff to want to start keeping track of it all. If you want to send me something but hesitate because you think, "radio's probably seen that already," I probably haven't. And if I have, I probably won't mind watching it again.

May edit in more but there's the gist.

What Zai Likes: Mecha, Science fiction, sunrise studios in the 1990s, et al. Honestly, if its good, I'll probably enjoy it, but I lean toward stuff that's a bit more grounded. Cool with long stuff too, so long as its not like, 100+ episodes of serialized action show.

Things Zai dislikes: Moe crap (Cute is fine, cute and terrible is not), shit with one season that doesn't have a complete story.

MyAnimeList: So out of date its irrelevant. Avoid stuff that aired on cartoon network from like 1999-2010 and you should be ok.

What I like:

• Good character design, development, and chemistry: I like a good cast of a variety of characters whose encounters and interactions are interesting in their own rite, and I love watching characters grow and become more fleshed out throughout the show. Durarara!! is a great example.
  • Action, comedy, and mystery. If you can find me something that's a good mixture of any combination of those categories, that would be dope.
  • Something easy to follow and easy to binge. I have the brain of a child when it comes to shows, plus I make the most progress when I can watch it without subs, so if there's a dub for it (even if it's bad) that would be good.

What I don't like:

• Fanservice: It's fine, just don't make it the primary selling point.
  • Mechas: Call me biased, but I just don't care for them.
  • Romance: Again, call me biased, but I can't stand it. If you absolutely insist, at least have it be funny.
  • Moe: Please keep the cuteness factor where it fits and not just to pander to people who like cute things.

MyAnimeList: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/tuffguy1992

Edited by Thar

What I like

-Great comedy and action

-Supernatural/sci-fi

-non-episodic. I would like to be able to pick up the anime at any point and understand what’s going on rather than have to watch previous episodes to know what’s going on now.

-English dubbed. If I wanted to read, I would’ve bought the manga.

-Faithfulness to the manga.

-I’m a busy person, so something I can finish rather quickly.

What I don’t like

-Gritty art style.

-Characters who can destroy planets. For some reason, I don’t really like that.

-cliffhangers

-prophecy/chosen one protagonists

MyAnimeList
Don’t have one, but I loved Azumanga Daioh, Soul Eater and Hellsing Ultimate. I also enjoy anime remakes of cartoons such as Powerpuff Girls Z.

Edited by MetalSonic

I want to throw my own hat into the ring too.

Things you like in an anime:

• Slice of life
  • Comedy
  • Cute girls doing cute things
  • Gay girls doing gay things
  • Dead girls doing dead things
  • Good fight scenes
  • Wholesome stuff
  • Soul-crushingly dark stuff

Things you dislike in an anime:

• Fanservice purely for the sake of fanservice (beach episodes are exempt)
  • Boring villains (really sick of the chess motif in particular)
  • Useless characters who don't develop
  • Overpowered protagonist (Saitama, looking at you in particular here)

MyAnimeList: It's a bit out of date, but here. I should note that any Fate anime I haven't gotten around to watching is already high on my to-do list, so don't give me anything Fate.

Santa's little helper here. All of you participating have now been pm'd by me assigning you the person you'll be selecting an anime for.

Keep in mind the deadline and reply to me in the pms when you've made a selection so I can distribute the gifts here.

Please dont forget as I don't want to have to come hunt you down on discord.

Merry Christmas and what not.

tenor.gif?itemid=12981674

If you listen carefully, you might hear the bells of Santa's sleigh coming a touch early. What you didn't see was it's been hijacked by a dog, come to bless the weebs with their Secret Santa presents. Everyone's submitted their intended gift so let's get to distributing shall we? If you've already seen the show you're about to be given and would like another show, please do speak up here so I can consult with your Secret Santa over a possible alternative.

@Yui

Spoiler

Revolutionary Girl Utena

b8c4a32f4d77f91636b2b2c1dd5107ef.jpg?w=6

Do you like swords? Do you like tomboys? Do you like lesbians? Then you'll love this show as you watch Utena Tenjou go about clashing steel for the hand of a mysterious princess; the Rose Bride.

Your santa has provided this playlist on youtube as a possible source of watching the show, though if you have other means feel free to use them.

@Blake

Spoiler

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

340?cb=20170302081042

Known in English as Magical Girl Raising Process. A game by the same name in universe has a 1 in 10,000 chance of making you a real life magical girl! It's probably not suffering this time!

@radio414

Spoiler

Tonari no Seki-kun

38bb57dd62113be9d617e3444caa27d513884273

Known in English as My Neighbor Seki. Rumi Yokoi is constantly distracted in class by Toshinari Seki who sits next to her. What could he possibly be up to over there that's so captivating?

@Zai

Spoiler

Linebarrels of Iron

s-l640.jpg

The year is 2019. Like, literally yes but also in the show. Three years prior a mysterious satellite crashes to Earth. A boy gets mysterious powers and eventually a mysterious robot appears before him. IT's all very mysterious and not what your average junior high schooler should be getting up to. How far out of the norm is Kouichi Hayase's life going to get?

@Thar

Spoiler

Psycho-Pass

103273l.jpg?fit=425,600&ssl=1

It's Japan, but in the future. Everyone's brains are constantly being scanned. And if your perceived likelihood of committing a crime passes a certain threshold, suddenly you'll be on the run for your life from the Enforcers. It's literal Thought Police up in here.

@MetalSonic

Spoiler

Dai-Guard

ddg-006__29597.1469742080.jpg?c=2&imbypa

When giant monsters attack, there's only three guys who can save the day. Those being three office workers using a giant robot named Dai-Guard. See the conflict of kaijus wreaking havoc and the tension between organizations that all want the one weapon that can stand against them.

Edited by Doggo

So, I’m on episode 5 of Dai-Guard, and I actually love it.

To start with, the intro theme is probably my third favorite anime OP, just behind Black Paper Moon and Brave Shine. It has a classic rock feel to it, which is my favorite genre.

Second, I love Akagi. Am I the only one who thinks Akagi is somehow related to Phoenix Wright?

Third, the concept may not be all that original (giant robot vs giant monster), but the way it’s done is pretty unique and I don’t think I’ve seen any other anime do this, that being the effects that these battles have. It’s easy to not worry about the collateral damage your robot causes when you aren’t the one responsible for cleaning up, but since Dai-Guard is, it creates a situation where the heroes have to take into account whether or not Dai-Guard will cause more damage than it prevents.

Overall, I like this series and would probably put in my top 5 favorites.

Don't think I forgot about this. I'm still finishing up my gift 'cause I'm slow at watching things, but you can expect a review in next week or so.

Edited by radio414

29 minutes ago, radio414 said:

Don't think I forgot about this. I'm still finishing up my gift 'cause I'm slow at watching things, but you can expect a review in next week or so.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:59 PM, Yui said:

Up until February 1st, to be exact, at which time this thread will be locked and we'll maybe do the same thing again next year if this goes well.

Not in here you won't.