Sign in to follow this  
Summer Darj

Thunder Dragon Archfiend

LQFijXA.png
Thunder Dragon Archfiend
DARK/Thunder/Fusion/Effect/Level 9
2900/2900
1 "Archfiend" monster + 1 Thunder monster
Must be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned during the turn the effects of 2 or more Dragon, Thunder and/or "Archfiend" monsters were activated in the GYs, by Tributing 1 Level 7 or higher Dragon, Thunder or "Archfiend" non-Fusion Monster, or a monster equipped with "Axe of Despair" or "Falling Down" (in which case you do not use "Polymerization"). If a player's monster effect attempts to activate in the hand or GY, none of that player's monsters in the hand and GY can activate their effects for the rest of this turn. If this card would be destroyed by a card effect, you can banish 2 monsters from your GY instead.

Got the inspiration for the concept of the card from "Red Dragon Archfiend", which despite being an Archfiend it doesn't quite work with the "Archfiend" Fiends, but still benefits from some of their support, and I see is a fine example of Archfiends crossing with other archetypes or series, although there are other examples as well, namely the Archfiend Eaters. Anyway, the Red Dragon gave me the idea of making an Archfiend monster for the infamous Thunder Dragons, which, despite their name, have no part of Dragon in them. But this card intents to be an exception, as seen in its alternate Summoning condition that includes Thunders, Archfiends, and Dragons. I do find amusing that 3 of the alternate materials it can use, Thunder, Dragon and Archfiend, are literally are spelled in its name.
The effect is intended to stun Thunder Dragons as well, by limiting their plays with monsters effects from hand and GY, but at the same time Thunder Dragons should be able to access this with relatively ease, so this card is both support and counter for Thunder Dragons at once. Needless to say, it can also hold back other decks, especially with the hand traps roaming around. By the way, the stun effect is based on "Invoked Caliga"s
The condition of Tributing a monster equipped with Axe of Despair of Falling Down is both for flavor purposes, as both cards are or involve Archfiends, and to give a bit of extra value to said Equips.
It can also be Fusion Summoned with Thunder Dragon Fusion, and even Archfiends could run it along Super Poly for Thunder Dragon match-ups, for whatever that's worth because Archfiends as a Deck aren't really doing much in the top tiers currently. Would have been amusing when Agarpain was around Summoning Dragon Archfiend Abyss, though.
Finally, Level 9 may be important for plays with "World Legacy Monstrosity" and other Level 9 support.

Thoughts? Personally, I'm am unsure about its fairness. The ability to use 2 Types and an archetype as alternate material may be too broad, although they must be Level 7+, and activating 2 effects in the GY of the listed monsters may be a bit too easy, and I debate with raising it to 3.

Edited by Darj

Flavor-wise I approve of the concept. Summoned Skull was an Archfiend that combined with a dragon (Red-Eyes) and had a bit of a lightning theme (Magical Mist combo during Duelist Kingdom, and getting a weird boost from Alpha the Magnet Warrior at the beginning of Battle City). Your card gives off that kind of feel.

Play-wise, this makes me think it'd be similar to what Djinn was to Nekroz... as in, a card that has the potential to stun its own theme and is likely to cause mirror matches to be about who pulls it out first to stop the other player. Even if it is not for a tier 0 kind of strategy, I don't think such an idea is all that good for the game.

I like the potential of its materials, especially with the equips, but fulfilling thee scenario of 2+ effects resolving like that first, that still causes the card to not be all that splashable. Is that good or bad you ask? IDK.... just an observation.

Glad you caught up on the Thunder Dragon Mirror match wars this could ensue.

Indeed, requiring the 2+ effects in the GY resolving it's intended to not make it as splashable, as a compensation to being able to "evolve" it from big Dragons, Thunders and Archfiends, which IMO is quite broad already.

And oh right,Summoned Skull has a Thunder theme all over it and fuses with a Dragon, I forgot about that xD it does serve as an example of an Archfiend meddling with other monster Types.

BUMP because with Colossus gone in TCG, this is, like, the bext best thing Thunder Dragons have without focusing on Titan. Although they wouldn't be able to drop this as easily since they would rely on Dragonduo and that Dragon with BLS summoning conditions, as this requires a Level 7+ monster. I'm considering dropping the Level requirement to 5+. Not to mention that, regardless of Colossus status in the banlists which is bound to change practically randomly, with the upcoming MR2020 that makes easier the Summon of ED monsters, this may need a rework anyway.