Skaia

Yu-Gi-Oh! Horizon [IC/Not Accepting/PG-16]

I'll Get a Banner One Day - YUGIOH HORIZONS

OOC

"The sun is shining. The birds are chirping. The sea is still blue. All of these things marked that today would be a day like any other at Horizon Academy, and likely most of the world, but specifically here. At Horizon. Academy. Where the students were. And the students were here indeed, since move in day is done and we are already  through the first week of school here! And so, mysterious transfer students aside, everyone should already have started to get their first assignments and have gotten acclimated to our, thankfully sm- compact and quaint, Campus. But, this otherwise blue sea day would not go like all others. 'Why?' You might be asking yourselves. Well today is the first time clubs and teams and whatever other things kids do after school."

"What are you doing?" 

"Narrating." 

"Why?"

"Because, I'm trying to make clubs sound cool!" Over the loudspeakers throughout campus, the students would briefly hear the bickering and struggling of the two teachers before the first said, "who knows-  ack - who knows what new things are in store for our students!" With that, the speaker cut off. 

Though these antics of the faculty weren't common, they certainly weren't a surprise for the upperclassman either. All the same, what was said was true and today was the first day of team meetings. No truer was this then for the duel team, one that despite past successes had certainly seemed to be on its last legs. Something that would be all too evident by the turnout of students that would show up to today's tryouts. 

The team had access to a gym, one that seemed to not have much of anything but the waxed wooden floor and white walls. The only other thing to note was that the gym was a lot smaller than the other ones on the school, but the duel team would still find it perfectly serviceable to their needs, as the current seniors had each year before hand. 

Spoiler

Alright so yeah. There you go. I know it's not much to go off of but it's the start of things. Basically just already be at the gym or on your way there and get introductions and other such things out of the way. Yeah. 

Edited by Skaia

The doors to the gym swung open forcefully as a girl, no older than fifteen slammed them open, all the while laughing like someone who had, realistically, lost all sense and reason. “Fuahahaha! I did it, I’ve located the whereabouts of the Duel Team!” She cried out, stepping forwards as the door closed behind her, much quieter than they had opened. “All of you present, bow before your new Mascot, your True, Final Boss, if you will!” She grinned, crossing her arms as she glanced about the gym. It was small - smaller than she had expected - but it wasn’t without cause. The Duel Team had been facing loss after loss recently, with only a few members even staying as a part of the team.

In fact, it had taken a lot of time for her to even find out where the tryouts were being held. Even though the Duel Team had been in rough shape the last couple of years, she hadn’t expected it to be so hard to find out where tryouts were being held. But, then again, she shouldn’t have been surprised either. After all, she had enough trouble just getting people to answer her with a straight face, as everyone had taken her requests with amused laughter maddened ramblings, her evil aura overwhelming them. Some people even remarked that they weren’t even sure there would be enough people trying out this year for there to be a Duel Team; truly, truly the ramblings of men driven to madness by her own dark aura.

But that was all okay. She had found it, and the less people who showed up, the less people she interacted with, and the less draining overall it would be; even if she did quite enjoy her self-given role. “Those of you in power, don’t think I was unaware of your cunning plan either!” She announced, to no one in particular. “I noticed that you moved the tryouts to a smaller location, to minimize the chance of those watching to see your gold-star duel team ripped apart by this years tryouts, and I applaud your humility in being able to see our talent!” She continued, pointing to… Again, no one in particular, as she moved her left hand to clutch at her eye...? “But know, that this is only temporary! As soon, the Duel Team will be overwhelmed with evil, and through that darkness, grow stronger than ever before! As I, The Final Boss of Destruction, Terry Shelley, daughter of demonic origin, have arrived! And with me, a new generation of evil, is sure to fester!” She announced, before cocking her head to the sky, placing her hands on her hips, and laughing towards the sky.

Hana was forgetting about something. She couldn't quite put her finger on what, though. It certainly wasn't this cake.

No she knew this cake very well at this point. At the moment Hana Monroe was wearing an apron and chef's hat and taking part in the Baking Club's cake battle. She didn't actually MAKE a cake of course, though she was allowed to squeeze the frosting doohickey which she was quite happy about, but she was more than qualified for tasting the cakes. She hadn't actually ASKED to do it though. And they weren't exactly having a CONTEST of any sort. But when two people made cakes at the same time what else was there to do but eat them both and say which one was better? It just made sense.

It wasn't until her third slice that one of the members pointed something out. She thought it was the president. Or maybe vice-president. Semi-vice-president?

Someone who told other people what to do in any case. "Hey, Hana yeah? Wasn't there something going on in the duel team? Like, tryouts or something?"

Hana glanced up at him, chewing the cake slower, as she thought about what he said. Tryouts...tryouts....

Her eyes widened and she swallowed it down quickly. "There are tryouts today!" She tossed her plate up, causing one of the newer members to scramble to grab it, and started for the door. "Oh uh, the winner is uh...the one with the lemon!"

"But...none of them had lemon..." she heard as she darted out into the school ground.

With a laugh she spun around a couple of first years who she almost collided with and kept going at full speed.

She ran right past the gym doors before skidding to a halt and twirling back. Thankfully the doors were open, someone must have helpfully opened them for her, and she didn't have to stop before entering the gymnasium.

"Aha! I made it!" She declared. She saw her fellow club members over by the wall. Where multiple folding chairs had been placed for them to sit down. She waved energetically at them. "Heeey!"

That's when she noticed the shorter girl standing next to her. "Oh, hi, where'd you come from?" She looked her up and down, pointed at her, and loudly declared, "First year! We got one everyone!"

She patted the girl on the back. "Welcome to our...club? Team? Army?" She leaned past her towards the people sitting at the chairs. "Guuuuys, what are we again?"

A bright and sunny Azure day awaited here at Horizon Academy! Makoto had to admit, she was still getting used to things around here. How big the city was, for one. And, in her more immediate area, how small the campus was! In her mind, Makoto had always imagined them as sprawling complexes of so many buildings that met so many purposes, and while there were certainly multiple buildings here, she still remembered her first words after being given the initial tour.

"So where's the rest of the campus?"

Not to mention life here felt so cramped! Maybe it was because she was used to those vast expanses of open land, but living here felt like she had hardly any elbow room, especially if there was a crowd where she was trying to go. But today was special. A special day she'd been waiting for, counting the days over the last week or so. Duel team tryouts! If she was going to be a pro duelist, of course she'd have to join! Makoto had taken care to memorize how to get to the gym where tryouts would be, so that when the day came, she could head right that way as soon as tryouts started!

Which brought her to here and now. The school band needed some help moving their instruments, and Makoto just happened to be in earshot of it. Several brass instruments and a cello later, it was time to go to tryouts! Or so she thought. Along the way, she'd been intercepted by a crowd she was quite pleased to get to know over the last week. The baking club needed an opinion on which cake out of two was better, and the last answer they'd gotten had been incredibly unhelpful because neither cake had lemons. And honestly, it was a good idea to have a snack before going to tryouts anyway.

In the end, she gave the ultimately pointless win to the chocolate-strawberry cake.

Once again, it was time to head to tryouts! Or it was, until Makoto had been intercepted once again. Luckily, this one didn't take long at all. Makoto had expressed interest in a cosplay club before signups were getting started, and the club leader simply wanted her to sign a registration form. Why was she interested? To get to wear all sorts of cute outfits, of course! But that would have to wait! Tryouts!!

Finally able to make it to the gym without another detour, Makoto burst into the gym, to find she wasn't the only one here by a longshot. As expected. One group was what seemed to be the duel team, and the other... was a solitary girl, who seemed to be laughing at something. But this was certainly the place. "Makoto Kondo, here for tryouts!" she announced, stepping up to this other girl's side.

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"I stopped very gently and sat upon the Time Machine, looking round. The sky was no longer blue. North-eastward it was inky black, and out of the blackness shone brightly and steadily the pale white stars. Overhead it was a deep Indian red and starless, and south-eastward it grew brighter to a glowing scarlet where, cut by the horizon, lay the huge hull of the sun, red and motionless. The rocks about me were of a harsh reddish color, and all the trace of life that I could see at first was the intensely green vegetation that covered every projecting point on their south-eastern face. It was the same rich green that one sees on forest moss or on the lichen in caves: plants which like these grow in a perpetual twilight."

David found himself killing time as it were, reading one of his favorite novels again. However, once reading one passage of it, he moved and slid a bookmark into the book's place before shutting it and putting it in his bag. Glancing at the time, he stretched and got himself up almost immediately. He already signed up for both the Literature and Science Clubs, leaving him plenty of time to relax and collect his thoughts and mentally prepare himself.

After all...it was finally time to apply himself and tryout for the Horizon Duel Team.

Well, let's hope the applicant line isn't too long. David thought, adjusting his glasses slightly before making his way towards the gym where the tryouts were taking place. Of course, he sort of expected the Duel Team not to have too many applicants. After all, in recent years, they were slowly diminishing in the area of the team. Why was this? Honestly, David couldn't hazard a proper guess, as it could be a multiple set of answers and possibilities. Nevertheless, he was determined that he would reach a goal by using Horizon's Duel Team and becoming a Pro Duelist.

...then again, this was most student's dream, so it wasn't too much of a surprise.

Once David finally arrived in the gym, he saw that there were quite a few individuals arriving to tryout for the team

"...As I, The Final Boss of Destruction, Terry Shelley, daughter of demonic origin, have arrived! And with me, a new generation of evil, is sure to fester!”
"Makoto Kondo, here for tryouts!"

So one seems incredibly normal, while the other...well, I will say she's quite entertaining. Perhaps it's a persona? the young man thought with a shrug, beginning to walk closer to where the two girls stood. He began to clear his throat, before waving slightly. "Seems I made it with time to spare. David Kripaldi, here to tryout for the Duel Team."

Peter always found phone conversations with his parents -- especially the ones where they put him on speaker and huddled over their phone analyzing his every word (like this one was) -- to be kind of like a rhythm game. They’d ask a question or say something and he’d have to respond quick enough that they didn’t think he was taking too long, yet slow enough that they thought he was still thinking about the answers. Maybe that was just because his parents had tried to instill that same sense of timing in other areas of his life, though it wasn’t like he’d be able to excel at an instrument or anything when most of his free time had been dedicated to cards.

“You’re not lost, are you?” his mom said.

“No, mom, there are only a few gyms and I know where this one is already. It’s by, uh, it’s by the classroom that community service club you said I should join uses.”

Peter’s father piped in. “Oh, you did decide to join that! Good for you.” Inwardly, Peter wondered if he’d ever actually had any choice in the matter, and he mouthed along to his father’s follow-up “You know, stuff like that always looks real good, especially when you get older.”

“Is everyone there treating you okay?”

“Yes, mom. There are only a few people in that club anyway, and this one girl there barely talks to anyone, too. I think they just want-”

“A girl! Is she cute?”

“Mom!” It was a rare outburst and an especially rare break in the conversation’s rhythm, but Peter was pretty sure he was justified. She’d interrupted him first, after all.

“Sorry! Sorry!” his mom said. “I’m just teasing you, honey. You know that, right?”

Peter reached the gymnasium entrance and peeked in. It was definitely the place, though there weren’t too many people inside just yet. He wondered if he was supposed to wait outside for everyone else, or wait even more and be fashionably late. His parents had always been like that. “If you show up just a little bit late,” his father would say, “you show that you knew the time and you care about being there -- this is especially true if you apologize when you come in -- but by being late at all you get to be the center of attention when you come in.”

Maybe he could just not show up at all, too. Maybe he could weave this grand lie for his parents where he wasn’t actually a duelist but pretended he was just for his parents and that’d- No, that was just a bad idea from the getgo. They’d find out. They always found out.

“Honey? You still there?”

Ah beans, Peter thought to himself. He’d gotten his thoughts sidetracked and forgot about the most important one. “Yes, mom. Sorry, I was- I just got to the gym and was making sure-”

It was his father’s turn to interrupt him this time. “Oh, you did? That’s great, Pete! Knock ‘em dead!”

Peter winced at, well, everything in what his father just said. Mostly it was the nickname, but the other parts, too, only served to remind him exactly why he was doing this and it wasn’t something he was particularly fond of being reminded.

His mom broke through his thoughts again. “I suppose you want us to hang up now, don’t you?”

“I guess,” Peter said.

His parents both laughed. “I guess,” his mom echoed back at him. “Alright, honey, you’ve got this! We’ll be cheering for you.” There was a small beep and they were gone.

Peter stared at the gymnasium door and his mind again wondered what he was supposed to be doing. Waiting… Not waiting… Either way, too, was he supposed to introduce himself and act like people already didn’t know who he was? Or was that too humble where he shouldn’t be? He knew what his parents wanted from him (“Be proud of who you are!” “We just want the best for you.”), but what did everybody else?

He sighed, opened the door, and crossed the threshold.

Charlie let out a sigh as they finished setting up the chairs along the wall. Any potential recruits would be showing up soon, but if last year was anything to go by, it wouldn't be many. They had finally made their way up to co-captain, alongside a friend, but what did it really matter if no one new joined? It was just the three of them, after all.

The senior clapped their hands together as everything was all set up. They had wasted enough time on negativity, it would just scare the new recruits off! Besides, Avi would be standoffish enough on his own. Charlie prepared to sit down when the door to the auditorium slammed open, revealing a short brunette girl, loudly proclaiming her presence.

“All of you present, bow before your new Mascot, your True, Final Boss, if you will!”

"Oh my~" Charlie laughed softly and approached Terry as the girl finished, "Well, you're certainly cute enough to be our new mascot. Why don't you take a seat in one of our wretched, dreadful chairs?"

"Aha! I made it! Heeey! Oh, hi, where'd you come from?" Hana appeared and looked Terry up and down, pointed at her, and loudly declared, "First year! We got one everyone! Welcome to our...club? Team? Army?" She leaned past Terry towards the people sitting at the chairs, missing Charlie. "Guuuuys, what are we again?"

"A Duel Team, Hana. And I'm glad you made it in time, though you have a little... something on your face. Did you taste test again?"

"Makoto Kondo, here for tryouts!"

"Seems I made it with time to spare. David Kripaldi, here to tryout for the Duel Team."

"Wooow, three already?!" Charlie beamed, quickly shaking the hands of both, "Come in, come in! We'd love to have you here at Horizon's Duel Team!"

And still another person! A whole four new people looking to join the team! It was a miracle come true!

"Welcome, welcome!" The co-captain absolutely radiated their joy as they ushered the last arrival, a small boy, to a seat as well.

After a small wait where no one else came, it would be apparent to the newcomers how few of them there were. In spite of that, Charlie bowed in front of them, grinning ear to ear.

"Welcome to the Duel Team try outs! I'm Charlie, one of your co-captains! That guy sulking over there is Avi, the other co-captain, but don't bother him too much. And I believe at least one of you already met Hana... Well, you two should really introduce yourselves! And I believe the rest of you are... Terry, Makoto, David, and..." Charlie remembered the fourth boy, cocking their head, "I'm so sorry, I rushed you and never got your name. Um, feel free to introduce yourself, too! Once we get that all in order, we can start the tryouts!"

. . . .
BGM
. . . .

A hundred-thousand seats in the arena—all of them filled. The crowd is deafening; he can feel the booth shaking under his feet from the noise. “You think that’s it?” The microphone that dangles inches from his face catches his voice and amplifies it to thunderous levels. “You’re underestimating me. Again. What do I have to do to stop being the underdog to you people?” He looks towards the audience. “I’ve trashed all the duelists you put in front of me. Kondo, Chadson, even Tuck Chingle got blown so far back that he got to see what his dinosaurs actually looked like.”

They jeered at him. Oh, they booed and threw things. Avriel “The Cartoon Cutthroat” Crawford smiled in spite of it all. “Watch. My turn. I draw!” He placed two fingers on the top of his deck and then, using his thumb to grasp the card, theatrically yanked it free. “Would you look at that? Comic Hand. I could finish you with your own monster if I wanted. I’m not going to though. I had this duel in the bag regardless of what I drew here and I need to make sure they all know that.”

“I’ll activate my trap card: HaunTOONed House! This card allows me t--”

. . . .

“That guy sulking over there is Avi, the other co-captain, but don't bother him too much.”

Avi pulled his headphones down around his neck and blinked a few times. It’s already time for tryouts? He wondered. Sure enough the gymnasium was filled with largely unfamiliar faces. Charlie had descended on them at some point, keeping them busy, thankfully. Charlie was much better suited for those sort of things. They really should be the captain captain. I’m not the inspirational type. Only reason they aren’t is they’ve never officially dueled for the school somehow. That’s--right. Introductions. 

Avi pushed himself off the wall and walked over to stand beside Charlie. He couldn’t help but notice as he did that he absolutely towered over almost everyone in the room. Greatnot only were they going to be a laughing stock for their W/L this year, but because they were running a stable of munchkins. “You’re Peter aren’t you? The third, or something,” he said to the boy Charlie was addressing. “I met your parents a couple of years ago. Good duelists. I take it you didn’t take after them if you're here?”

Terry grinned as what must have been one of the duel-captains approached, seeing as they were able to withstand her dark aura, still keeping what seemed to be a jovial face. Terry herself focused a bit more on ignoring the woman who had oh-so-casually walked in beside her, and exclaimed her to be a newbie. True as it may have been that she was new to the Duel Team, Terry knew she would soon show them the true power of a final boss, a revelation that would prompt her to grin with excitement. “Oh? So you’re approaching m-”

She cut herself off as the likely-duel-captain opened their mouth, exclaiming her to be… Cute. Terry recoiled instinctively; it wasn’t that she didn’t want to be called cute, or that it was bad. In fact, there was something nice about being called cute, seeing as that wasn’t something she had experienced all that much-- But that was beside the point! Being called cute now of all times is what rubbed her the wrong way, as it meant her entire role and persona had been for nothing!  This realization prompted her to clutch one of her sides as if she’d been wounded, even wincing for effect. “Gh… I can see now that my aura has corrupted you all too well already-- To the point where your madness clouds your judgement, unable to fathom the fear you feel…!” She announced, leaning over dramatically as she began ignoring just about… Everything else that had been said by anyone, really.

“But!” She shot back upwards, back into a standing position. “I shall accept your humble offering, and take my leave towards the evilest, darkest, and most wretched of chairs, my future minion!” She announced, giving a slight bow as she walked over to the row of folding chairs and… Sat down, quite politely, really. Hands clasped over one another on her lap, she simply seemed to be almost bouncing in her chair, a grin that she would claim to be an evil-one growing on her face. To put it simply: her excitement was almost palpable on it’s own, as she watched the other members of the Duel Team.

"A Duel Team, Hana. And I'm glad you made it in time, though you have a little... something on your face. Did you taste test again?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah! Cakes!" She started probing at her face with her tongue, trying to get at the stray piece of cake that she was informed of. It was like a bonus extra meal! Score!

She strained to try and see the cake, eyes looking as far to the sides as she could, to no avail. She spent several moments trying to find the food before finally shrugging and wiping at her face with her arm. By then the gym was, for the duel team, quite filled up.

Hana smiled wider and wider as more people came in. Almost manically one might say. But she couldn't help it. Look at all these new people! "You're all so short!" She declared to them as they came in. "Was I that short when I was your age? Wait, what are your ages? You could be geniuses who got in early....or maybe you got held back." She let out a gasp and turned towards Terry. "Were YOU held back? I'm pretty sure most schools wouldn't want to graduate an evil dark something or other right?"

She tapped her cheek thoughtfully and then snapped her fingers. "Hey, Charlie, we have rules against evil overlords right? If not we probably should figure something out. I don't want to be uh...sub...subjectated or anything."

Her attention moved to Peter. "You DEFINITELY are the genius one right? So small!"

Just as soon as her attention went to Peter it shifted once again.

“That guy sulking over there is Avi, the other co-captain, but don't bother him too much.”

Hana skipped her way over to where Avi moved next to Charlie. As he said something to the shorty genius Hana awkwardly attempted to put an arm up around his shoulders. "Avi my good buddy! Long time no see! Look we have uh...what's that thing my parents said I'd get...koi! Like the fish right?"

Peter only got a quick glance around the room before people started to notice he was there but what he saw was about what he’d expected. The size of the gymnasium had betrayed the expected size of the duel team, after all, and the outbursts of coming from the sidewall also betrayed -- in Peter’s mind -- the sort of seriousness his soon-to-be teammates were taking the whole affair.

The only thing that really caught him off-guard was the co-Captain(?) Charlie asking him to introduce himself. He’d have thought… well, it didn’t matter. Maybe it was a formality anyway. “My name’s -”

Someone who was neither Charlie nor Peter spoke up -- “Avi,” Charlie had said, right? -- cutting Peter off. “You’re Peter, aren’t you?” Avi said. “The third or something.”

Well, that was close enough to what Peter had been expecting. He still winced a little at Avi’s “the third” comment -- without a surname attached the name just sounded like a king’s name and he was pretty sure he wasn’t that. “Peter Wilson, that’s me. Just ‘Peter’ is -”

Avi cut him off again. “I met your parents a couple of years ago. Good duelists. I take it you didn’t take after them if you're here?”

Peter almost said, “I don’t remember my parents mentioning you so maybe I could say the same thing,” but he managed to bite his tongue. Some of that hesitance was a simple worry that he was about to make one of those bad first impressions his parents always warned him about, but his larger worry was that, if Avi was telling the truth, there was the possibility he’d be able to relay the snark back to his parents, and as bad as bad first impressions were, bad first impressions that his parents knew about were even worse.

All of this was compounded by the fact that Avi loomed large over Peter. Normally, Peter would be used to that sort of thing -- grown-ups were grown-ups and fourteen-year-olds were fourteen-year-olds, after all -- but Avi had to be, like, a foot taller than him.

“You’re definitely the genius one, right? So small!” someone else said. Peter looked over, and while he couldn’t quite remember their name just yet, there was really only one person it could have come from: a girl who, despite her best efforts, still had crumbs on her cheeks.

She, Peter found, was easier to respond to. “Sorry, um, your captain already said I can’t be a genius because my parents enrolled me in a historically great school that, uh, quote ‘is just in a liiitle slump right now.’ That’s, uh, those are their words.”

And now that he’d started talking, Peter found it easier to keep talking. He turned back to the captains, especially Avi. “I don’t know. I’m only fourteen, after all. But I don’t think I would be here if I wasn’t pretty good, I mean.”

"You two are being rude!" Charlie popped in, puffing their cheeks out and shoving their hands by their sides, "You shouldn't be treating someone like that, especially not their first day here!"

Turning away from their teammates, Charlie gave Peter and the rest of the newbies a big bow, sighing a bit.

"I'm so sorry about that! Hana doesn't exactly, uh... yeah, and Avi is... Well, he doesn't mince words much. But it's okay, he can put his money where his mouth is!"

“I don’t know. I’m only fourteen, after all. But I don’t think I would be here if I wasn’t pretty good, I mean.”

"Oho?" Charlie grinned in a way that could be called positively feline, "Well then, how would you like to be the first one to try out? Avi may be the strongest on the team, but I'm no slouch either~"

Charlie headed to the far side of the small gym, humming softly before turning around on their heel, bringing their arm down. As they did, their disk activated as they smiled and motioned to the other side of the room.

"Of course, you don't have to be the first, if you don't want. The challenge is up for anyone to battle me and my adorable babies~"

Peter looked around like Charlie might have been talking to somebody else, as if the context didn’t immediately make readily apparent who Charlie was challenging. There was some grotesque part of him that was actually glad for the challenge. Charlie hadn’t recognized him, after all, so why not teach the ignoramus a lesson? But also, like, if he’d already crossed one threshold by walking through the gymnasium’s doorway, it felt like this was the second, much more final threshold of actually participating.

He could hear his parents whispering in his head. Some of the advice was old; one of the first things they’d ever said to him was, “Always accept a challenge. You’ll never improve if you never play,” but some of it consisted of more recent remarks. “Knock ‘em dead!” Peter heard his dad say.

There was nothing for it. “Alright,” Peter said. He walked over to the other side of the gymnasium and powered on his own duel disk. He could already feel his mind zeroing in on the task ahead of him. Just had to beat one of the captains on his first day, right? What could be easier?

As the hum of each duel disk aligned, merging together to create the opening harmonies of a new song, both duelists let out that all-too-familiar cry:

It's time to duel!

“You’re the captain,” Peter said, “so I’ll defer and let you go first.”

“Aww, how sweet!” Charlie grinned and drew their starting hand, “Who am I to turn down such a little gentleman? And since you let me go first, I’ll begin this game with Toy Vendor!”

As Charlie slid a spell card into their disk, a gachapon machine rose behind them, a good 3 feet taller than their owner, with arms on either side of it waiting to dispense. With a nod, Charlie placed a card from their hand into the graveyard.

“You see, once per turn, I can pay Toy Vendor a card, then draw and reveal the top card of my deck. If it’s a Fluffal monster, I can special summon a monster from my hand. So, let’s go, Toy Vendor!”

Throwing their hand back, a coin flew from it, growing larger until it fit perfectly fit into the vendor’s slot, causing it to come to life. Cranking itself, it rumbled a bit before a capsule rolled out, popping onto the field in front of Charlie. As it hit the ground, the blue bottom and white top fell apart, revealing a stuffed puppy! The winged dog, barely smaller than Charlie, yipped and wagged its tail as the co-captain giggled.

“Aww, I got Dog! Look how cute he is! And it’s such a good puppy, too, letting me find another Fluffal monster from my deck! So I’ll add Fluffal Owl, and I’ll normal summon it right away!” Charlie slapped the card down, and a stuffed owl gently floated down to the field with a hoot, landing right next to the dog. Unlike its fluffy partner, Owl only stood about a foot and a half tall, making soft bird noises.

“Owl is also a good cutie, so then I get to add Fusion Substitute from my deck to my hand when it’s summoned! They’re such helpful toys!”

Charlie giggled with glee as they set a single card face-down, then held their hand out to Peter.

“And I think that’s just about enough for now. Your turn~”

“Is every monster in your deck cute or just these ones?” Peter asked.

“Of course! I love cuties, and there’s all shapes and kinds in here! After all, you should love what you play, right?”

“Hm,” Peter said. Half of the hm was just asserting that he’d heard Charlie at all; the other half was his reaction to looking at his hand again. “What do you do…” he mumbled under his breath.

It was a rhetorical question, of course. He knew what all his cards did -- it wasn’t like he had to reread every card that came into his hand -- but he knew he had to impress at least a little bit.

“Alright, well, the first part of every turn is the draw step, so I guess I’ll do that,” Peter said. “And then I’ll-” He paused, and looked closer at the card he drew. “Well, I can save that for later, I guess.”

His mom’s words echoed in his head. “Table talk! Get to the point!”

Right. Peter put the card in with the rest of his hand and pulled out another. “I’ll summon my own searcher, Sage with Eyes of Blue!” The card materialized in front of him and out came a tall -- taller than Peter, at least -- magician, his staff already in hand. Once he had settled into position, he raised his staff above his head and a beam of light stretched out, wrapping itself around the mage once, twice, before materializing into a card.

“He finds another level one Light tuner, in this case, Master with Eyes of Blue,” Peter said. He flashed the card to his opponent before adding it in with the rest. Could Charlie actually see it all the way over there? Not that it really mattered, something would have stopped him if he did something wrong, right?

Anyway, “Fortunately for me, I have another Sage in my hand, so I can use its second effect. By discarding it and sending the Sage in play to the Graveyard --” the magician in front of him dissolved into holographic light, but it didn’t dissipate “I can summon a, no, the Blue-Eyes White Dragon from my deck!”

The sage’s light, still strong even though the magician had long left the board started to shift and change shape. It had already been taller than Peter and it was growing even more now. And it was growing wings. And claws. And teeth. What finally emerged from the remnants of Peter's Sage was as magnificent a creature of destruction as described on its flavor text.

Peter wasted no time using it. “Battle!” he said. “Blue-Eyes, attack Fluffal Dog!”

The dragon roared and raised its head. A point of solid white appeared inside its open mouth, and though it started out small, it only grew. It became larger and larger at a speed that was only increasing, until the entire inside of the Blue-Eyes' mouth was a pure white. Only then did it lower its head again and unleash all that energy in a straight line, and the pure white barrelled towards the dog at quite a speed. (Charlie: 8000 -> 6700)

“Oh no!” Charlie cried out as the dog was blasted to fluffy bits, sniffling for a moment, before bursting out a smile. “Well, it’s okay. After all, I activated Fluffal Crane when it was destroyed, adding Dog back to my hand and drawing a card!”

“Alright,” Peter said. It wasn’t alright, but he said it all the same. “I’ll just set one card, then, and pass it back to you.”

"That's all? Hm, that won't do. You gotta bare your fangs!" Charlie leaned forward, motioning their hands like vampire fangs in front of their face, before pulling back with a small laugh, "Otherwise, I won't be forced to bare mine."

Charlie drew for their turn and glanced at the 6 cards they held, scanning them. Luckily, Dog was the one they wanted back more of the two choices, and Owl was the one they wanted to leave on the board, so it worked out in their favor. Placing a card on their disk, a wheelsaw blade from the ground, a number of hand saws appearing to adorn and move up and down against it as the middle blade spun lazily, until a sinister laugh filled the air. Charlie placed a card from their hand into the Grave as bright red eyes lit up, a dark mist slowly filling the air around the saw blade.

"Come on out, Edge Imp Saw! When I summon this baby, I get to discard a Fluffal, draw 2, then put a card from my hand on top of the deck!"

Peter raised an eyebrow. “That counts as cute?” he said.

“You don’t think it’s cute?” Charlie looked at the saw, cocking their head, “I think it is. But you know what’s cuter? I activate the effect of Fluffal Owl to Fusion Summon!”

Charlie’s Life Points ticked down from 6700 to 6200 as Owl rose to the sky, flapping its wings above owl. The space around them seemed to distort as they began to blend together, becoming a bright red and blue vortex as Charlie clasped their hands together in front of them, almost as if in prayer.

“Whirring saws and cuddly fluff, come together in a new form! Tear the world apart with your adorable claws! Fusion Summon! Appear, Frightfur Leo!"

As the whirling vortex began to take form, a sinister cackle filled the area. From it, a beast standing 15 feet tall appeared, looking like a stuffed lion… except with blade sticking out of it. Saw blades for a mane, with smaller ones adorning it, serrated knives for claws, and its very body torn down the center by another large wheelsaw. It was the farthest thing from cute to just about anyone as it continued to cackle madly, but…

“There’s my big cute fluffy lion!” Charlie had somehow found their way to the beast’s leg, hugging and cuddling the abomination, “You’re gonna do a good job for Charlie, right~?”

With a weirdly tame growl the beast seemed to nod, earning a big grin from Charlie.

“Now I activate Leo’s effect! I target Blue-Eyes White Dragon… and destroy it, inflicting damage to you equal to its attack!”

“Equal to its attack?” Peter repeated. He bit his lip. “Hm, definitely not cute.”

“Hey, leave Leo alone! It’s super cute!” Charlie puffed their cheeks out before pointing at Blue-Eyes, “Destroy it!”

Each of the blades on the beast whirred to life, the smaller ones around its mane in particular detaching and flying at the dragon with a jester-like laugh. As the blades sank into Blue-Eyes’ flesh, the creature exploded, lowering Peter’s 8000 life points to 5000.

“I’ll set 2, and then I guess that’s all I can do for now,” They hummed a bit, returning to their original standing place, “But remember what I said about your fangs, buddy~”

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

The first Duel for access into the Duel Team was against the Co-Captain Charlie and the young Peter Wilson III. David wasn't too familiar with the young child of the Wilson family, but he'd be labeled a laughing stock if in this world he hadn't heard of at least his parents. Quite the amazing Pro Duelists, and yet...their son was here at Horizon. Surely he had better options to go for instead of coming to a school where the Duel Team was in, for lack of a better word, shambles. Still, David guessed there was a reason for this.

He didn't fight to be the first Duel, after all, he learned better by watching and taking note of certain styles of other Duelists. Now, let's see how well the little heir fairs against a Captain of the Duel Team. he thought, smirking lightly.

The Duel began and he was mildly impressed. Fluffal versus...of course...Blue-Eyes. David figured that the little prodigy would be using Blue-Eyes, since his father and grandfather used them. It was the only natural choice for him, though he wondered how that would work for him, being handed down a deck rather than finding an archetype and style that worked for him. Then again, he wasn't sure how the whole thing with rich families worked.

“Hey, leave Leo alone! It’s super cute! Destroy it! I’ll set 2, and then I guess that’s all I can do for now. But remember what I said about your fangs, buddy~”

"Hmmm, best course of action when looking down that specific dragon." David commented, adjusting his glasses slightly. "And with two face downs, one is almost guaranteed to be some sort of protection for Leo...namely if they want to keep Leo out. And if Peter summons up another Blue-Eyes, he can kiss it good-bye right on the next turn just because of Leo's effect." He slowly crossed his arms, his left hand under his chin slightly. ...still, something tells me that this kid isn't worried about the face downs. He might still have a trick up his sleeve...

With more newcomers than there were captains, it wasn't like everyone could have their tryouts all at the same time. And so, Makoto decided to let the others take the first duels for themselves, and sat by on the sidelines, watching, observing. The duel that was of more interest to her in that moment was between that boy who had introduced himself as Peter, and the friendly one out of the two captains, Charlie. Their duel was only a few turns in, and already Makoto knew, she was in for a real treat by sticking around with this duel team. Between Peter's pretty and pale monsters, and Charlie's that... well, some of them were cute, anyway. She didn't really understand a sense of aesthetics that could call a monster like Edge Imp Saw or Frightfur Leo cute. Just as I thought. There really are some weirdos in the big city.

Sitting down, Terry watched as everything continued on, lightly tapping at foot in the process. The really energetic girl, clearly some sort of wannabe-warrior-of-justice, went from topic to topic, naming off trope after trope, before pointing at… Her. The girl then went on to claim that she had to have been held back! The disgrace! “S… Silence, fool!” Terry shot back, raising a hand to point at the girl. “I’ll have you know, I, um, graduated at the top of the darklord academy for aspiring evil minds, having silenced and demoralized the rest of my class with my… Cursed aura! So--” She fumbled her words, before her expression changed to one of pouting. “...So no, I wasn’t held back. Jerk.” She huffed, crossing her arms. By the time her outburst had cleared, it seemed like they had resolved to begin one of the duels; the younger boy and the positively-delightfully-evil-capable duel captain, duking it out. Shifting her attention from the rude-rude-rude warrior of justice, to the duel at hand, hoping to see just what her possible-future-minions could do. 

Immediately everything kicked off as they gave a back and forth, and the duel captain of evil went first, creating a magnificently massive creation. Some sort of vending machine; Terry could only imagine what horrors would be assembled within and roll out… Only to be disappointed, as all the captain did was summon some sort of small, puppy and then an owl. “Aww… And I thought you were gonna be qualified for evil.” She continued to pout, cocking her head to the side as the turns shifted to the other duelist. This, is where things got good she realized, a grin coming to her face as the younger kid summoned a creature truly worth fearing-- A massive, blue-eyed dragon. This is what she was looking for: this duelist, was the pinnacle of what an evil-overlord should strive to summon in their duels...

Or at least, that’s what she thought, until she watched the captain summon a demonic saw-looking creature, and then fuse it into something… Worse. An amalgamation of stuffing and metal, cute and demonic, blended together until the lines between either blurred. This… Was what an Evil Overlord aspired to summon, beings that invoked fear not just out of power, but out of method. “...I take it all back…!” Terry murmured under her breath, a smile slowly growing. Her grin grew even wider as the monstrous beast tore through the dragon, dealing damage back to the dragon’s owner... At this point, Terry practically had stars in her eyes. Clearly, she still had a lot to learn about being an Evil Overlord from this captain afterall!

Avi's reaction was, to put it simple, was very Avi-like. Hana thought so at least. She didn't know for sure what Avi-like was entirely. But she was certain that his response was it. After all he was Avi so any response from him would be Avi-like.

But did that mean if someone lied that lying would be very like them? But a lie wasn't true. And something not true couldn't be real right?

This was something too complicated for her to figure out right now.

“I don’t know. I’m only fourteen, after all. But I don’t think I would be here if I wasn’t pretty good, I mean.”

That, however, wasn't. "Well I'm not a super math girl but I know 14 is pretty young. So you MUST be the genius fish!" Hana decided.

“...So no, I wasn’t held back. Jerk.”

"Hm?" Hana didn't get it. "Wait if you're the best of the bad guys doesn't that mean you're good? Wouldn't you want to be the worst of the bad guys? The worst guy! Oh, so that makes you, baaaad fish!" Hana said, giggling at her own statement. "Genius fish and bad fish then."

Soon Hana was watching the duel. She ooohed and ahhhed as the big monsters came out and made their attacks. But something didn't quite add up.

“I’ll set 2, and then I guess that’s all I can do for now,”

"Wait, wait wait wait. Why didn't they attack? There's no Monsters that means direct attack, right?" The girl turned to her main source for information on card games, Avi, and moved in front of him. Waving her hand to make sure to get his attention she asked "Aviiii, this is really really complicated."

She wondered how Avi-like the answer this time would be.

“Fangs,” Charlie had said. Peter resisted the urge to run a finger along his molars. He also resisted the urge to respond to the other part of Charlie’s smart remark with something like, “I’m not your buddy, pal.” That one was much harder.

Instead, he focused back up (his mental parents were applauding him for that, at least) and surveyed the board. Charlie had a bevy of spells and/or traps at their disposal and Peter wasn’t entirely sure he could deal with all of them. Their monster, on the other hand, now that it had finished demolishing one of his marquee cards, was that a weak point?

“Draw!” Peter called out. This time, he shuffled it into his hand immediately. The plan had already formed in his mind. “First thing’s first. I’ll play The Melody of Awakening Dragon. I discard one more card -- that’ll be the Master I just searched up -- and I get to find two new monsters. One, I suppose, will be another Blue-Eyes to replace the one you just destroyed.”

A card popped out of Peter’s duel disk. It spun around in the air, revealing itself to all observers to be the card Peter had just announced. But he wasn’t finished, and his disk whirred in anticipation of Peter’s next decision. “The other one, well, it’s technically a Blue-Eyes, but this one gets a little extra to go with it,” Peter said, and just as he said it, another card popped out. LIke he had described, the card had much the same artwork, but it had that telltale orange-adjacent border revealing itself to be something more.

“I’m going to use the first part of that ‘little extra’ right now, actually. If I reveal a Blue-Eyes White Dragon in my hand, I can put this Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon right into play!” Peter said. He slotted the card right into his duel disk and out on the field of play emerged a dragon quite similar to the one Charlie had destroyed just a turn ago. It was as gargantuan in size, its eyes were the same shade of blue, and its metallic scales gleamed as white as white could be. There was definitely something different about it, but exactly what was difficult to place.

“Now, let’s talk about the second ‘little extra’ piece Alternative Dragon comes with,” Peter said. “If I forego attacking with it, I can destroy any monster on the field. For example… what about your, ah-” Peter almost said “abomination,” but managed to restrain himself. “What about your Frightfur Leo? What do you have to say about that?”

“Oh my, that’s pretty scary…” Charlie said, “but I can’t let him get hurt! In response, I activate De-Fusion!”

The lion let out a loud roar before glowing, then splitting into energy that reformed into Owl and Saw in defense positions.

“By returning him to the Extra Deck, I can revive his materials!”

Peter grimaced. That had not been part of the plan. His dragon even looked silly as it reared up ready to tear the lion to shreds before coming down on nothing but air. It crashed down with a heavy thud, but even such an intimidating noise lost its luster without any frightfur-shredding giving it that extra oomph.

He wasn’t done with his turn just yet, though. “I’m not finished with my turn yet,” he said. “I admit it was a setback, but you asked to see more fangs. I’ll activate Return of the Dragon Lords, which will allow me return that Blue-Eyes you so unhelpfully destroyed.” Out popped the card from the Graveyard slot on Peter’s duel disk, which he took and placed right into a Monster Zone. “I think I’ll put him right next to his friend,” he said.

Now that the two dragons -- the Blue-Eyes White Dragon and its Alternative counterpart -- were side by side, it was almost comically easy to tell them apart. The Alternative dragon had a chrome-like sheen compared to the other’s dazzling white. Not that people had too much time to compare the two. Peter said, “The final thing Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon can do is act as Blue-Eyes White Dragon. So if I had, say, a Fusion Monster that could be Special Summoned by sending two Blue-Eyes to the Graveyard, I could do that. Well, I just so happen to have one.

“I summon Blue-Eyes Twin Burst Dragon!”

The two holographic images of Alternative and White roared together and leapt up into the air, where they began to fly in a circle centered around Peter. Each dragon appeared to be constantly chasing the other’s tail, but neither made a move to catch the other. Instead, they flew faster and faster, each matching the other’s speed in a way that, if it hadn’t been a computer simulation, would have been impressive given the synchronicity and teamwork involved. Faster and faster they flew along their ouroboran paths, blurring the lines between one dragon and the next, until down crashed a mighty dragon not dissimilar to either of them, only this one had two heads.

Two heads! Twice as many gleaming blue eyes, twice as many teeth, twice as many- “Twin-Burst Dragon gets to attack two monsters a turn,” Peter said. “I can’t help but notice you have exactly that number.

“Battle! Blue-Eyes Twin Burst, destroy that Owl and its buzzsaw friend!”

Light shone from both of the dragon’s mouths as the dragon rose up until it was hovering several feet off the ground. Its rise had moved it forward some, too, and the staggering height difference between it and its two opponents was made all the more apparent by how close together they all were. The beams of light made quick work this time; the monsters were torn apart by their sheer brilliance, and the Twin Burst dragon landed back on Peter’s side of the field.

“Now I’m done,” Peter said. “How was that?”

Edited by radio414

Avi frowned. He was being rude? He wasn’t sure how. He was stating the obvious, that the most talented duelists were scooped up by more notable duel academies. The fact that Peter was here meant that none of them had scouted him presumably. 

Whatever. Charlie was usually right on these sorts of things. More importantly the two were getting ready to duel, and Avi was eager to spectate. Charlie had never had an official duel for the team (not that it was their fault), and Peter’s parents were well-known professionals, so it would be a good way to gauge where both his co-captain and the potential rookie stood.

Avi pulled out a notebook and pencil as they started. “Peter Three. Running Blue-Eyes White Dragon. Most likely a fusion deck… think they have some synchro?” It was the same deck his father used in all his duels. He jotted a quick note about that down with an asterisk beside it. “Summoned the normal Blue-Eyes. Why not Dragon Spirit? Saving for later?” He was muttering to himself as he scribbled. Charlie was focused on building a board of materials for them to overwhelm Peter with, but they would probably summon Frightfur Leo for free damage and removal. It would be interesting to see how Peter grappled with the sudden loss of momentum. 

That was exactly what happened. Peter seemed caught off guard; maybe he didn’t know Fluffal-Frightfur’s match-up? Not unreasonable but hopefully it wasn’t a sign of a greater issue. That could mean th--

"Wait, wait wait wait. Why didn't they attack? There's no Monsters that means direct attack, right?" Avi was pulled from the card game by waving arms and a shrill voice loudly keening, "Aviiii, this is really really complicated."

Avi rubbed his jaw and swallowed a sigh he felt coming on. Hana was more of a team mascot than a duelist, really, but she was ultimately harmless and a good pick-me-up when spirits were low, so he tried to humor her. “Frightfur Leo’s effect. It can’t attack directly on the same turn it blows something up, Hana,” he said. “You remember you can look this up right? I’ve showed you how to use the app about a dozen times.”

Edited by Cheshire Toon

“Hm, not bad,” Charlie smirked, drawing for turn, “But let’s see if you can handle this! Toy Vendor!”

Tossing a card back to the gachapon behind them, the crank pulled down again, rolling a ball out of it… and revealing a sheep with odd wings. Grinning, Charlie drew the top card of their deck and revealed the same monster.

“Alright, it’s a Fluffal! And since I revealed Sheep, I can now summon Dog from my hand!” The sheep’s image grew fuzzy, then reformed in the shape of the puppy Fluffal, giving a small yip as Charlie added a card from their deck to their hand. “Which lets me add Penguin to my hand, and I think I’ll go ahead and play him!”

Slapping the card onto their disk, a rather silly looking penguin with earmuffs appeared, cocking its head slightly. Soon after, the sheep from earlier appeared in defense position near it, bleating softly.

“While I control a Fluffal, I can summon sheep from my hand. And even better, my cute little sheep can bring my doggy back to me and revive Saw!” With a much louder bleat, Dog’s form disappeared, with the cackling, clanging sounds of Saw filling the air as the demon rose from the grave once more. “Then I’ll fuse Penguin and Saw with Fusion Substitute! I can only use monsters on my field, but that’s alright.”

Clasping their hands high above their head as the air began to swirl, Charlie’s monsters rose to match their movements. Bringing them down quickly, the same beast as before appeared, revealing Leo’s return to the field.

“And now, I use Leo’s effect to destroy Twin Burst!”

Peter smiled and raised his index finger in a sort of “just a moment” motion. “Ah, I neglected to mention Return of the Dragon Lords’ other effect. If a dragon would be destroyed, all I have to do is banish it from my Graveyard and the destruction is prevented.” An image of Peter’s card appeared amidst Leo’s swarming blades and shattered in his dragon’s stead. “Not this time,” Peter said.

“Yep, I figured as much~” Charlie glanced over their hand. They had the ability to remove it this turn, but that wouldn’t be very fun. “I activate Fusion Recovery! I return Fusion Substitute and Saw from my Grave to hand, since they were used for a Fusion Summon! Then I use Fusion substitute, fusing Leo and Sheep together!”

The process began once more a Charlie took a deep breath, clasping their hands together high above them.

“An ancient beast returns to us through these two souls! Let the blades tear through you, shredding your enemies! Fusion summon, Frightfur Sabre-Tooth!”

A quadrupedal stuffed tiger with bulging eyes appeared before Charlie, around the same height as Leo… Until sharp blades stabbed out from inside of it, slicing its head, jaws, tail, and torso, with fluff falling out of it as it growled happily. Charlie beamed before snapping, a large hooded skeleton with blue eyes appearing next to the tiger with its arms crossed.

“I’ll just set up for now~ When Sabre-Tooth is special summoned, I can revive a Frightfur from my grave, so Mister Meister will be the one! And he’ll be kind enough to supply us one more friend from the deck!”

Another snap of their fingers and what appeared to be a stuffed pair of wings with gloves appeared next to the skeleton, also protecting itself.

“It’s not going to beat your big, strong dragon, but that’s okay. I set one and end my turn~”

“Frightfur Leo’s effect. It can’t attack directly on the same turn it blows something up, Hana,”

Hana nodded, not fully getting it, but understanding enough that she came to her own conclusion. Which was "So it attacks but it doesn't attack. Gotcha..."

“You remember you can look this up right? I’ve showed you how to use the app about a dozen times.”

Hana gasped and pulled out her phone. A pretty pricey model, which miraculously hasn't broken yet, that was covered in a case that was light blue with a bunch of sushi rolls on it. Then she giggled as she checked the cluttered mess that was her apps. "I deleted it!" Hana declared happily. "I had to get room for Sweets Smash. I made it to level 90 last night, see?" She then showed the boy the screenshot of a level-up screen. He could see her grinning, proud, face just behind the phone. "I only had to skip one class's homework for it!"

The noise of the duel managed to draw Hana's attention again and she turned around, still standing in front of Avi, to check it out. "Whoaaa, so much has happened!" She noticed something else that greatly amused her. With a light laugh she waved at Charlie. "You really don't like to attack, do you?"

Peter gaped at the board state Charlie had just created. He’d comprehended the entire thing, of course -- he figured such a sequence might have been possible -- but it did cause him to realize some earlier mistakes on his part. These were the consequences, after all, and even with Twin Burst’s two attacks, he wasn’t sure he was going to be able to punch through unless he -

“Why don’t you draw your card first?” His father’s voice interrupted his train of thought. “Your hand’s probably a whole lot different with an extra card in it.”

Ah, well. His father hadn’t been wrong, of course. Peter could actually think of a bunch of different cards that could help in his particular situation. One of which could even probably…

He took a deep breath. One thing at a time. “I draw,” Peter said, and he looked at the card. It wasn’t perfect -- it wasn’t the card -- but it would do. He forwent shuffling it into his hand, instead slotting it right into his duel disk. “I'll summon Maiden with Eyes of Blue!”

Maiden with Eyes of Blue, as an effect monster, didn’t have any flavor text to enhance its description like his trusty Blue-Eyes did, but that didn’t matter. Its name was descriptive enough. A woman -- about the same size as the Sage, maybe shorter -- with silver hair and notably azure eyes materialized herself on the field.

She wasn’t on the field for long, though. Peter was already moving to the next step in his plan. He’d forgone his usual playing speed for it, too; he’d sped up significantly as soon as he’d seen the line. “If you’ll remember,” Peter said, “I discarded Master with Eyes of Blue last turn, so it’s in the Graveyard. Now, when it’s in the graveyard, I can send something else -- the Maiden I just summoned, I mean -- to the Graveyard and Master back to the deck to bring back a Blue-Eyes White Dragon.”

An image of an older man with the same defining hair and eyes of Peter’s other (humanoid) monsters appeared, though it was significantly more transparent than the other monsters on the field. Behind him was a swirling portal. He offered his hand to the Maiden, who took it, and together they stepped through the threshold before disappearing. The portal remained, though. In fact, it started to grow, larger and larger until it matched Peter’s Twin Burst Dragon, and once it reached its maximum size, out came Blue-Eyes White Dragon again, no worse for wear after having been sent to the graveyard twice already.

“You really don’t like to attack, do you?” some audience/club member said. Surely it was directed at Charlie, but Peter felt the need to snark anyway.

“Just one more thing, and then I’ll be making some attacks. I activate the card Burst Stream of Destruction! As for what that does, well, I’ll let you see for yourself.”

His newly-re-summoned Blue-Eyes started generating a new breath attack. This one was not pure white like the other times Peter had attacked, no, this one was a ball of humming, pulsating energy, and, when it could no longer fit inside the dragon’s mouth, it shot forward towards Charlie’s field, and exploded on impact with the ground, blowing away all of Charlie’s monsters.

Peter couldn’t help but grin. “Burst Stream keeps my Blue-Eyes from attacking this turn, but my Twin Burst Dragon over here, well, I can’t help but notice you have a pretty empty board now.

“Battle! Twin Burst Dragon, make a direct attack!”

The two heads roared and fired up their own beams of energy. Their beams, now that they were only making one attack, looped around each other in a double helix before crashing up against Charlie (Charlie 6200->3200).

“That’s it,” Peter said, quite a bit more satisfied than he had been a turn ago. “Your turn.”

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

Both sides never gave an inch, from what David saw. And things seemed to be going into Peter's favor, least field wise and obviously with each play. The perfect timing on playing Maiden as well as bringing out another Blue-Eyes to then use Burst Stream of Destruction. While it might've seemed like a simple move, David saw it as a chance for this young boy to obviously take the field advantage with his dragons.

Just when he needed another monster to even the odds, this kid seems to live up to the Wilson family name. he thought, adjusting his glasses again. And while Burst Stream keeps a Blue-Eyes from attacking, he was able to get past that just from the Twin-Burst Dragon he summoned the turn before. If things continue in this sort of pattern, it's clear that the little heir will pass his test to join the Duel Team.

David's eyes then went straight to the Co-Captain, Charlie. He began to look hard at them for a few moments, trying to piece things together. ...however, they aren't the Co-Captain for nothing. So if things seem to be going into the heir's favor, it's obvious that they're probably allowing it. I doubt we've even begun to see their "fangs" yet...so this should prove most interesting.

Whatever the outcome at this point, one thing was clear: this was an amazing Duel so far.

Clasping her hands together in her lap, Terry watched the duelists and their mental game of gymnastics; at this point, practically ignoring those she was sat with. Particularly, that Hana girl-- wretched warrior of light she was, wouldn’t stop asking the duel captain questions, despite being a senior member. Terry nodded slowly to herself, glancing a bit towards Hana. It appeared she was the type of hero that was easily underestimated, maybe? With all of that energy and confidence, there had to be something there; and if she was a warrior of light, that would make her a worthy opponent by association. 

But, there was still the duel. Shaking her head, Terry took a deep breath as she forcibly narrowed her eyes, practically squinting. By the time she was able to zone back in, she opened her mouth in surprise, or even awe; her heart racing as the younger-child summoned a beast via fusion, a majestic, two-headed dragon emerging from a swirling vortex. Tighting her grip on her dress, she watched as the dragon’s beams slammed against the two monsters held by the duel captain, prompting Terry herself to tighten her grip. Was a fellow Overlord going to fall? Was-

She cut that train of thought off fast, shaking her head. Now was no time for that sort of thing. As an Evil Overlord herself, she should have found herself impartial, and ready to accept if one of her so-called allies were to lose. However, she couldn’t help but let her smile return as the Duel Captain began some sort of plan she could hardly follow in the moment. After a bit of back and forth dialogue, another abominable, servant of evil began to come into existence; stuffing and cloth tearing from metal and blades as sabre-tooth tiger hit the board. Terry couldn’t even bring herself to hold back a quiet “Yes!” as the warped creature met the field, only for the turn to end. Even if she didn’t recognize what the duel-captain was doing quite yet… They had to have a plan, and they would triumph…!

Or so she hoped, as she glanced back to the person currently trying out. Her heart sunk as the field was cleared almost immediately, leaving nothing in their wake - and yet another attack went out against the duel captain. “A...Aw…” Terry lowered her head a bit, before glancing back to the duel captain. Heart pounding, even if it was only a tryout; this was what brought Terry into duel monsters. This was what made it exciting, exciting enough that she once again could hardly hold herself back, as she tightened her grip on her dress once again. Because even with nothing riding on the match, it took everything she had not to cheer in excitement, to tell the duel captain that they could do it; that they could win, and that they had to win for the sake of Dark Lords everywhere.