Skaia

Yu-Gi-Oh! Horizon [IC/Not Accepting/PG-16]

Clara watched the duel unfold in front of her, assessing the two players as they did so. Having not see Hana play yet, she was a bit surprised to see just plain old fish being played but it seemed simple and straightforward, which was definitely  befitting of its owner. The girl, however, did seem to make a few mistakes befitting that of a rookie, which were easily able to be ironed out with experience. Then there was Terry. She seemed to have a much better grasp on what she was doing then her opponent, but at the same time it was incredibly clear to Clara that if the opponent had any more of a forceful personality, Terry probably would've crumbled before actually hitting her stride again. That was a problem that Clara wasn't one hundred percent sure how to fix but - "What?"

Her sentiment mirrored Hana's opponent, as the duel had seem to come to its close. "I'm sorry what?" Clara had again mimicked Terry's sentiment, stunned at the fact that she had just given up like that. Placing two fingers on her forehead, pinching between them as her expression seemed to shift clearly to annoyed and frustrated. Gritting her teeth, the woman seemed ready to burst, only to strangely stop, looking as though something had reprimanded her. Letting out a deep sigh, followed with taking a deep breath, Clara bluntly said, "don't surrender next time. There has to be something in your deck that can destroy a big monster like that. And you!" She sharply turned to Terry, clearly still frustrated saying, "stop being so timid. And remember what your cards do." Looking to everyone else she said, "hey! How're your duels going?"  

“Scales” and the related puns were good, but they weren’t really the same as anything related to gears, was it? Like, having cards with the word in your deck certainly made the puns pop a whole lot more, Peter thought. People had to “get it,” after all. They had to do a double-take or otherwise react in some way, and with a phrase like “tip the scales” that was already established, the fewer jumps the better.

“Feeling blue” was good, though, Peter thought. He could probably use that. And when he thought about it more, the word “clawesome” came to mind as a good eye-roller. He didn’t tell Makoto about it, though. He was going to save that one for later. That one was for actual dueling.

“I’ll think about it,” he said.

Speaking of actual dueling, the actual duel between Hana and Terry had finished rather quickly. Peter hadn’t been paying too much attention, but what he had seen made it seem like there were at least a few more turns left? Wait, had Hana just given up? Well, now Peter could see why Coach Clara was mad. “Don’t surrender next time,” she said. Yeah, you tell ‘em! How would his parents have reacted if he’d given up at any point in his short dueling career?

But Coach Clara’s attention soon went elsewhere, specifically at all the people dueling everywhere else. “How’re your duels going?”

It occurred to Peter that she might not appreciate what Makoto and he were doing in their in-between time. He couldn’t bring himself to lie, though a half-truth was what slipped out. “Makoto beat me,” he called out. “We’re just, uh, going over some notes before we go again.”

Peter paused and looked at Makoto. “Unless you wanted to duel someone else?”

"Alright, see how much better that went?" Charlie asked David with a smile as they packed their deck back up, extending for a shake again, "Now, just try and play with the trepidation in mind as you practice. It's not going to be a perfect fix, especially if you choreograph too much... but it's a good start!"

Before the boy could respond to his captain, the duel suddenly drew to a close? Charlie hadn't been paying as much attention as they were foxued on instructing David, but...

"don't surrender next time. There has to be something in your deck that can destroy a big monster like that. And you! stop being so timid. And remember what your cards do." Looking to everyone else she said, "hey! How're your duels going?"  

"Ah, we just wrapped up, Miss~" Charlie waved back, a big smile on their face, "And don't be too hard on our new recruit! She did her best in that duel, you can't expect too much too soon. A gentle, loving approach works better than yelling, right, David?"

Charlie glanced back to their junior, a smile spelling out just how oblivious they were to how much they had curbstomped David to get the lesson through. After all, all's well that ends well, right?

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"Alright, see how much better that went? Now, just try and play with the trepidation in mind as you practice. It's not going to be a perfect fix, especially if you choreograph too much... but it's a good start!"

David nodded, seeing that the go around this time in terms of the Duel went a lot smoother than last. It even lasted a few more turns than he was expecting this time, but alas, it wasn't enough. Yet again he lost, but this time he did end up holding his own and worked with the advice Charlie had given. He was still quite bummed about losing, but however, he scooped up his cards, shook Charlie's hand and gave a smile. He planned on saying something, but was interrupted by the coach.

"And don't be too hard on our new recruit! She did her best in that duel, you can't expect too much too soon. A gentle, loving approach works better than yelling, right, David?"

Considering you proceeded to curbstomp my Time Thief deck into the ground over here... "It is never too late to be wise." David simply said, putting the deck away as he adjusted his glasses. "From Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe. In short, I believe that this approach worked perfectly fine and allowed me to reflect on perfecting my style as a Duelist. Between you and Avi, I believe that the Captains have already shown me the specifics of how to better work in the areas of Dueling, especially with my Time Thieves."

Terry still couldn’t… Understand, what was going on, as she stared at Hana, who said something about… Donuts? “I… I’m… I guess that makes sense... But...” She trailed off as Hana waltzed past her, before flipping open a box of donuts and offering one to her while asking questions. Terry never could understand what was going on in that fishy-girls head; able to put everything aside to ask questions, always talking about food… Always talking, to others-- without any visible fear of rejection… She wasn’t sure how it was possible. “Oh, Um… Y-yeah, I guess that was fun, still.” Terry laughed, rubbing at the back of her neck as her facade was once again broken into pieces. “Oh, um… For me?” She asked, hesitantly, as Hana beckoned her over waving a donut. Her face lit up with a smile, Terry began to walk towards Hana... 

Only for that smile to be interrupted, with shouts from their coach. Wincing with every word, Terry would have suddenly preferred if she hadn’t joined the team at all, freezing mid-stride as she turned to watch the yelling woman. The exact words the coach was saying, the exact words behind them… The blunt advice did nothing to soften to the tone of frustration in the woman’s voice, as she tore Hana apart. Anyone watching would have thought Terry was about to jump out of her skin when the woman then turned to her, shouted, and then began giving her advice as well. “Yes ma’am, sorry,” was all that Terry could muster as she lowered her head in a mix of shame and fear. “Sorry, sorry.” She murmured under her breath, practically receding into her scarf like a shell, forgetting all about the donut.

"don't surrender next time. There has to be something in your deck that can destroy a big monster like that.

"Hm?" Hana only barely heard what the coach lady had said. She was savoring the slightly gooey donut. Its glaze warmer now that its been sitting. Some of it dripping onto her fingers for later finger licking action.

Mulling over what the coach had said she gave up a simple explanation. "I was hungry. Thinking woulda made me more hungry. So I figure, I'm behind, my only card left wasn't gonna help, and the donuts were calling me. That's all." She smiled widely as though she thought that what she had declared would make sense to anyone else.

She saw how Terry had reacted. Though she more focused on that the girl had wanted the donut but hadn't taken it. So she slipped on over to the girl, stared at her for a few seconds, and said "open up." And the moment the girl opened her mouth, either to say something or to listen to what Hana said, Hana pushed the donut into her mouth. "There. It's tasty. Eat up."

Then as if struck by a sudden realization she declared. "Oh! Other people!" She then spun in a circle to try and look at everyone else in the room. "Heeey guys how's it goin? Have any exciting duels?"

"Hey! How're your duels going?"

“Makoto beat me. We’re just, uh, going over some notes before we go again. Unless you wanted to duel someone else?”

New opponents! New experiences! Dueling Peter was a good learning lesson, but if she kept dueling him over and over, she'd end up with a pretty narrow pool of knowledge. She'd be very good at that one specific matchup, but miss out on a more general knowledge pool. Also, donuts. A short break for a yummy snack sounded nice. "I'd like to duel someone else next," Makoto answered, grabbing her things and hopping up from her sitting spot. Donuts, donuts... chocolate icing sounded nice. Makoto peeked around in the boxes, looking for just the right one.

That one!

Totally worth it! High on victory, the presence of snacks, and the excitement of being in the duel team, Makoto puffed her chest out. "Any volunteers to be my next opponent? Come one, come all!"

Clara didn't say much as the Makoto and Peter had seemed to just be going over notes for their duel. However, her  attention did snap over to Charlie as they told her to change her approach with Terry. Clara couldn't help but feel something sickeningly familiar about the way Charlie was speaking, looking at the girl with her annoyance starting to reach a fever pitch as her eye seemed to twitch. Before she could say anything, though she looked over to Terry. As the girl seemed to be panicking, Clara smacked her face with her palm letting out a low groan as she said, "that...that's not..." Everything came to a head though, as Hana gave her explanation. Gripping down on her own face harder, the woman simply shouted, "then eat before you play!" 

As she realized what was going on here, the woman let out a defeated sigh saying, "alright, alright. Everybody keep dueling. If anyone else wants to use holograms go for it. I'll...I'll just..." Letting out another sigh and seeming suddenly exhausted, the woman sat down on a chair. Bringing out a notebook and a pen, the woman waved her hand as if to tell everyone to keep going along with their business. 

After the time for practice had ended, Clara stood back up and addressed everyone, far more calm than she had been earlier in the day. Clearing her throat she said, "alright kiddos, practice time is over. And well, I can safely say that none of you are..." The woman thought about her next words for a moment before saying, "terrible. Everyone has their own issues and there's still a lot to work with here. But, the best way to start overcoming these issues is practice. You all know that you don't need a full hologram duel to actually duel. In that vein." The woman took out her phone and started to type a few things, sending a message to everyone in the duel team. 

"I don't know how good any of you want to be. But if you want to be any good, then a few hours after school is not going to be enough. You can practice anywhere, anytime as long as you have your cards or internet on you. I sent you all a link to a program that lets you practice and duel other people online. Use it. I'll look back at my notes more but for now, you're all dismissed." 

"then eat before you play!" 

"I did!" Hana proclaimed proudly. "But that doesn't mean I can't eat again. There's too much good food in the world to limit to just a few meals in a day."

She then noticed Makoto taking one of the donuts and zipped her way over. "Now now now, you should really ask first, but I'll let it go. You just owe me a donut later alright?" After all now she had a couple less than she came in here with. Which meant she might still be hungry when she was through with this.

---

Hana spent the rest of the time dueling without the use of the holograms. Using one hand to play the game, despite the struggle of keeping her cards hidden while setting things down, while the other took donut after donut. Practically inhaling them at points.

Once the coach called it off Hana jumped to her feet and gave the woman a salute. "I'm sure I'll forget to practice but I'll try and think about it!" She declared before zooming out of the building and into the great outdoors. It was starting to get late, somewhere around evening...But Hana was still wired up and ready to do something.

She tried to remember if any of the other clubs were doing anything this late. Surely one of them she'd be in, right?

That's right, the Film Club! They always stayed late, often later than they were supposed to, and always had SOMEthing to do. One time Hana dressed up like a zombie and pretended to eat someone! Though she was pretty hungry at the time and accidentally did bite the main actress. She hadn't been back since then now that she thought about it. She bet they'd be happy to see her again!

She was right. They were, in fact, so excited that one girl, who Hana recognized as the zombie victim, fell out of her chair with a scream after seeing her.

Spoiler

So yeah if not clear Hana's rest of day will consist of film club shenanigans, though she'd be willing to do other stuff if prompted. Also if you want to talk to her before the end of club practice and stuffs just lemme know.

There was a certain amount of respect Peter had for Coach Clara that he didn’t have for his parents. Maybe it was because she was being paid to teach them Duel Monsters (she was being paid, right?) and his parents just… did it.  And yet, something still stung about the way Coach Clara said “not terrible.” She hadn’t even seen his performance, but that didn’t matter. Maybe it was because of the respect that it stung.

Also because of that respect, though, was how seriously he took the order to practice whenever he could. Not like he wasn’t already (as long as “whenever he could” meant “whenever he took a break from doing literally anything else”), but now it’d get moved up in the queue. As soon as he got back to his dorm, he’d check his messages and if it wasn’t a program he already had, he’d install it and boot it up. Such was Peter’s resolution.

It didn’t really work, though. As soon as he stepped through the door he immediately tossed his belongings aside and flopped down on his bed. Not to sleep, no, he just wanted to lie there for a bit and think about things. What a day! The phone-call-with-parents days always were, really, but this one especially so. At least he’d gotten a donut out of the ordeal. And he’d gotten over himself, at least a little. And he’d started on some decent puns. And-

Okay, so maybe overall the day hadn’t been so bad. He’d done pretty well for himself. Maybe the next “what a day” wouldn’t be so bad after all.

He hadn’t meant to, but pretty soon he found himself drifting off to sleep.

It wasn’t until Hana shoved the donut into Terry’s mouth that she was really brought back to reality, being really brought out of her stupor. “Harghm…” She chewed the donut, bringing a hand up to collect the rest of the treat as it hung from her mouth, so that it wouldn’t fall. “Sorry, um… Thank you.” Terry nodded, doing her best to smile as she accepted the donut from Hana, who had started to flutter off to ask the others how their duels went. Terry nodded, following Hana to the best of her ability as she went off to listen to how the others were doing…

---

As practices came to an end, Terry wouldn’t lie; she was more than a bit happy to be done, having dueled on and off for hours at end. As much as she enjoyed it, as much as she loved to lose herself in a duel… Having her every move scrutinized by someone who was basically a professor? Terrifying, awful. But if this is what she had to do to get better, to become not just a final boss, but the final boss…

“And… Got it.” She nodded towards the professor, already setting the program’s mobile-version to download on her phone. This wasn’t the only program she had on her phone for dueling, but if the coach sent it, it was probably good. As everyone excused themselves, Terry found herself burying her head in her scarf as she headed home. It was hard not to think about what the coach had said as she closed the door behind her. If she was still too timid, that meant… She just needed more practice, right? 

Flopping into her desk-chair, she whipped her phone out; quickly assembling her deck from memory, before… Setting it up for match-making to put her into a random duel… And began narrating, and acting out her way through the duel. After all, practice made perfect, right?

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"Alright kiddos, practice time is over. And well, I can safely say that none of you are...terrible. Everyone has their own issues and there's still a lot to work with here. But, the best way to start overcoming these issues is practice."

A very select choice of words from the coach, though it didn't make them sting less. While she did say no one was terrible, David felt that it was still something that could be fixed, especially with a lot more practice. Regardless, David simply adjusted his glasses and exhaled slowly. This was a minor setback, but this proved to greatly show him where he was lacking in the terms of skills. In my area...less rigid and rehearsed. Attempt to anticipate the opponent's next move and thusly, act in the aggressive manner to attempt to stop it. he thought, nodding slowly. Both of his Duels with the Captains showed him this...and he would fix it.

With practice dismissed, David took this time to access the program on his phone almost immediately. He knew his cards by heart and was quick to assemble his deck into it, as he made his way to the Literature Club meeting. Luckily for this club meeting, they were going over ideas and thoughts about what book to possibly to look for inspiration in writing. Some suggested the general romance novels, others suggested the genre of horror...meanwhile, David simply kept working on the program's application and set up process, whilst also throwing out his own suggestion without looking away from his phone.

"If I may. If one wishes to learn about a different writing style, might I suggest the works of Shakespeare? More specifically, Hamlet. It encompasses a good portion of what the group is looking for: romance in some capacity, some murder mystery as well as the horror aspect of Hamlet seeing the ghost of his father..." David voiced his opinion, quite surprising the group but possibly also impressing them at the same time.

Whatever the outcome, the club meeting ended and David headed off to his room to practice...once he finished his classwork. Hobbies had to come second after an education after all. Regardless, once he made light work of his assignments, he took his laptop and accessed the program and it's portal...and began to practice.

Practice time was over! Makoto had taken notes - actual duel notes this time - on herself and the way her opponents reacted to different plays. Knowing how people responded to situations was just as important as creating those situations, after all! Right? That way she would know how to create more situations. Or something.

"Alright kiddos, practice time is over. And well, I can safely say that none of you are... terrible. Everyone has their own issues and there's still a lot to work with here. But, the best way to start overcoming these issues is practice. You all know that you don't need a full hologram duel to actually duel. In that vein..."

See? Even the coach had said nobody was terrible. Which was certainly a better starting point than being terrible! She then sent everyone an app for their phones that would let them duel online with others. Incredible! If Makoto had known about this app before, she certainly would have used it lots before today. She couldn't wait to see what sorts of interesting duelists were awaiting her across the world! And while she  would have loved to put it to use right now, there were other things she had to do. Namely, the cosplay club she'd been roped into was having a meeting today! She had already explained she would be late to club activities due to the duel team taking priority, and the club president seemed quite understanding.

Hopefully she hadn't missed the whole meeting.

Well, that was a bit of a bust. The cosplay club meeting was... not the most exciting of times, really. A lot of terms and lingo she didn't understand were thrown around, none of the costumes really called out to her, and various other factors all added up to it being an incredibly underwhelming time. And while she did check the dueling app plenty, even that was nothing incredible most of the time.

no fusion/synchro/xyz/pend

913/0 break my winstreak

goat format only

Among other very non-promising notes, she found a lot of people like that in her search for online lobbies to duel in. And a lot of opponents - at least on the servers she was looking at - were pretty bad at the game, relying more on gimmicks and raw power than actual dueling prowess. One person even tried to stall her out when they realized they were about to lose, hoping to run her out of patience and make her quit. Hopefully the others had better luck with that sort of thing. She'd have to check in with everyone next time to see where they were going for duels.

Charlie had intended to stay around for the entirety of Clara's address, but with a glance at the clock, they had disappeared without a trace. The next time anyone saw the co-captain, it would be with the teen sprinting wildly across campus, adjusting a neck tie as they did.

10 minutes later, Charlie hunched over in the back of a restaurant, breathing heavily.

"Ya alright dere? Not like ya t'be cutting it dis close."

"Sorry, sir, my club at school ran long!" The teen brushed their hair in front of a mirror, fixing the damage done in their rush, "Training new recruits and all, it seems like the duel team might actually have a shot this year!"

"Ye, and I'm the queen of England," the owner laughed, shaking his head ever so softly, "But hey, if yer leading, maybe ya can do something halfway decent. Now, on da clock!"

Charlie puffed their cheeks out as their employer walked away, hurriedly getting themselves in order to head out. As they placed their phone into a locker, they saw a message from Clara. They would have to look at that later. For now, work!

-----

Later that night, Charlie stepped into their dorm room as they dried their hair, before tying the towel atop their head and pulling out their phone.

"Now, let's see... Ooh, Clara sent that top of the line dueling app! I wonder what cards I can find here..."

Charlie flopped onto the bed with their phone held above, scrolling through and reading lots of cards. There were so many they had never seen, never dreamed of owning, yet here they were at their fingertips... Of course, they could only use their own cards in the app, but it still would likely make playtesting much easier. And databases never hurt, either!

"Mm... I don't know if I'll even have time to use this!" Charlie laughed as they set the phone aside and stretched out, eyes closing gently, "But maybe it'll be worth it, at least to play with the other team members... Here's hoping."

Time had passed, as it often did. Going through the days, the group had now been the Horizon Dueling Team for seven school days, and they were at the start of the week once again. Practice had gone on as normal, Clara seeing fit to just sit back and watch the team as they each continued to rotate their dueling partners. Though she gave advice where she could, it was a slow going process and the woman didn't seem to offer any actual insight unless asked. Cryptically, as well, over the weekend the woman had messaged the whole team telling them to keep their plans this week free, but didn't seem to give any more indication as to why. 

As the gang had funneled into the gym for practice that day as well they would see that their coach was not there. In fact, instead was a familiar young looking woman. "Good afternoon everyone." The woman gave a wave to the students, smiling to them. Most if not all of the team would recognize the woman as Ms. Breiner, if not her appearance then they would recognize her voice. Ms. Breiner was a teacher for a few different digital media courses, the woman who was consistently on the mic at the end of every school day - something the group would note was missing today - and, to the senior members of the team, the coach of the Horizon Duel Team for two years. She was not actually a real coach, nor did she play Duel Monsters with any amount of consistency, and was just there to have the position of coach filled. 

"Good to see you all again and with some great new faces too." The woman looked around the small gym as if reminiscing before looking back to the likely confused students. "Oh, I'm sure Clara didn't mention but she won't be coming in today. She's busy with," the woman put a hand up to one side of her mouth and leaned closer to the students, loudly whispering, "top secret coaching stuff." The woman pulled back and giggled before saying, "so I'm here today. I may be a bit lacking, but feel free to ask any questions you need to." The woman brought out a video camera, saying, "I'll be sure  she gets the message. Oh, yes and here." 

The woman pulled out a small envelope with a sticky note attached, presenting it to everyone and waiting for someone to take it. "She also asked for someone - or someones -  to go take care of a little shopping errand for her."

Throughout the week Hana had ended up missing a couple of the Duel Team practices. Not because of lack of interest she would just get sidetracked on some days and end up doing other things. In fact on this day she had nearly forgotten about it until, in the middle of searching through flowers for bugs for the entomology club, she suddenly shot up and announced. "Duel Team!" And made a bee-line, the pun came to mind halfway there and caused her to giggle, for the club room.

She barged on in still holding the bug net that she had been using while catching bugs. Or rather attempting to. She hadn't had much luck. Except for the beetle that she didn't realize was still hanging out inside of the net while she bounced her way into the room.

It took her a while to realize that the girl there was not the coach that she had remembered from last time. "Whoa! You really changed in the days I missed!" She cried out in surprise. Then, narrowing her eyes and leaning forward, continued "wait no, I've seen you....Film Lady!" She declared. She had remembered seeing her in the film club a couple times.

Somewhere else too...oh yeah, she was a teacher! Now it was all coming together. Right in time for the woman to explain everything herself anyway. Still, Hana felt proud at having figured out the mystery so quickly.

There was also the mystery of what the coach was up to but it was apparently top secret. She remembered her parents once had been given an envelop from a man in a suit with those words on it. She got scolded for trying to take it out of the hiding spot that her parents thought she didn't know about. So she knew enough not to ask about it.

"She also asked for someone - or someones -  to go take care of a little shopping errand for her."

Hana jumped at the question. Vaulting over and taking several long steps. Ending up a foot away from the teacher as she raised her hand high in the air. "Oooh pick me! I wanna go! I'm VERY good at spending money." She put both her hands on her hips and stood taller at the last as though it was something to be proud of.

Phone call with parents, done. Not even anything interesting to comment on this time, just a bunch of blather (that was Peter’s new word of the week: blather), with a lot of teasing and a lot of Peter really wishing he wasn’t having the conversation and yet he also felt like he had to have it.

Whatever.

There were good bits about the day too, though. He’d been called to answer a pretty tricky geometry question at the board and he’d managed to get it right! Peter hadn’t been sure of his answer, but having to talk about it at the board had awoken his inner presenter, that inner voice he’d used during duels, and while it wasn’t exactly charismatic, one didn’t need to be charismatic to answer a math question.

Another good thing: He’d remembered both his decks today: Duel Monsters and the other one. It was a little weird calling it “the other one,” of course, like, he wanted to call it the “normal” one, but Duel Monsters still felt like the more normal card game despite having its own dedicated cards that were much smaller than the more versatile fifty-two.

So Peter didn’t really have a spring in his step or anything, but he felt pretty good. It was a feeling immediately shattered, though, when he saw the new coach. Who was this person? Was he supposed to know her from somewhere? When she spoke, it sounded familiar enough, and she seemed more encouraging than Coach Clara, but it was still a change Peter wasn’t quite comfortable with.

“Film lady!” Hana said. Well, at least someone recognized her. But Peter also wondered what the itinerary was supposed to be with a substitute. All the other substitutes he’d had so far at Horizon Academy had either shown film or just had the class work on whatever, and he wasn’t really interested in watching old duel film again, nor was he interested in actually dueling.

But! The substitute coach also offered a third option. It seemed related to the reason she was missing, but that was just a weird guess on Peter’s part. The point was, it was an excuse to escape, and given the alternative, Peter practically jumped at the call.

Hana got there first, though. “I’m very good at spending money!” she said, which, okay, that was something Peter didn’t actually know about her, and he was actually a little surprised to hear it (if it were true, anyway).

He was undeterred, and made -- what he felt was -- a decent second effort to volunteer, “Okay, feels like there should be a couple people trusted with the money though,” he said. “And if there’s multiple things we need to buy, we could split up to get it instead of running back and forth across the store? I don’t know. Um.

“Yes, I’m volunteering to go with Hana is what I’m saying.”

Avi was surprised to find out how much free time he had as a senior. He had been studious enough in his previous years that he had almost all the credits he needed to graduate, and his parents refused to allow him to work—“You’re only a kid for so long Avi! Just enjoy your school years.”—which was how he found himself with so much spare time. He filled the void of boredom by increasing his work-outs, rewatching a ton of old professional duels, and most importantly, dueling people on the app that the coach had shown them. 

It was convenient. The system was mostly automated and the rounds were a lot shorter, so it was a nice time killer and easy to do while he was watching films or working out. Most of his opponents weren’t very great, but the occasional talented duelist would come along, and practice was still practice. The format of the app and his abundance of free time came together in a perfect storm that resulted in one of his rare hyper-focusing episodes.

By the time he walked into the club room for the meeting, he had logged 287 duels with a 68% win rate throughout. And he was in the middle of his 288th. Avi had his phone in one hand and a bottle of water in the other, and he was enamored with the digital duel taking place on his phone that he barely noticed the return of Ms. Breiner. In fact he barely noticed anyone until he finished his duel (a loss, damn it). 

Then he looked up. Peter and Hana were volunteering to handle… something about money. The thought of trusting Hana with anything important immediately put him on edge. The girl was sweet but not very focused. Which, coming from him, was saying something. 

Avi glanced at Charlie and coughed, gesturing with his eyes. The request was clear: do something, before she spends all the club’s funding.

Edited by Cheshire Toon

Upon arriving, Charlie nearly blanched at the sight of Ms. Breiner. It wasn't that they thought the woman wasn't lovely, but... she had no business being their coach. Now, then, or in the future. She barely knew how to duel! But their fears were assuaged as she said she was simply filling in for the day. Still not optimal, but better than expected. With a sigh of relief, they listened in as the sub continued.

"She also asked for someone - or someones -  to go take care of a little shopping errand for her."

"Oooh pick me! I wanna go! I'm VERY good at spending money."

Uhoh.

Peter volunteered alongside Hana, but Charlie could still feel Avi's gaze on their skin. Looking at their friend, they shot a glare back, gesturing, with the slightest pout on their face. Again, clear: You're the bad cop, I'm the good cop! Huff!

With another sigh, now of defeat, the co-captain walked up to Peter and pulled him aside, grabbing Makoto along the way.

"You two seemed great together in practice last week~" Charlie laid it on a little thick as they whispered, "So why don't you go with them, Makoto? After all, we don't want Hana spending our extremely limited budget on food and other frivolities, do we~? Avi and I can't tag along if the other senior member is going, so I trust you two will take care of it. Never let the money out of your siiiight~~~"

Walking away and waving to Hana, Charlie headed over to Avi and leaned against the wall next to him, trying their best to not let their smile fade.

"You know we're doomed, right~?" Charlie cleared their throat abruptly, "Ah, sorry, forgot to drop the tone. And you've had your nose buried in the phone all week. If I didn't know what a knucklehead you are, I'd say you finally got a lover... but you've already racked up 300 duels on that app, haven't you?"

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"Time is only a kind of Space."

Time passed, like David knew it would. It had been seven days...approximately 168 hours...roughly 10,080 minutes...and about 604,800 seconds since he had joined the Duel Team of Horizon Academy. Compared to how he was when he first started to now, David had definitely felt like he improved, namely just after his Duels with Avi and Charlie. He did figure, however, he had a long way to go to rise to the level of those two...hell, even surpass them if the moment arose, just to become on the level of a Pro Duelist.

Between the Duel Team, however, David did his best to keep himself studious in his other assignments as well as applying within his other club activities within the Literature along with the Science Club. After all, while Dueling was his passion, he definitely had to keep his grades high as well as apply himself more with his other clubs, otherwise that would look bad in general to him.

However, today...David found something new to enter the status quo of his general routine...

"Good to see you all again and with some great new faces too. Oh, I'm sure Clara didn't mention but she won't be coming in today. She's busy with, top secret coaching stuff. So I'm here today. I may be a bit lacking, but feel free to ask any questions you need to. I'll be sure  she gets the message."

So Coach Clara isn't going to be here today? Well, I suppose that all teachers deserve to have time away from students...and with her position, I wouldn't be surprised to want to take the time to get away from all of us. David thought, nodding slowly, whilst Hana and Peter volunteered to go shopping as some sort of a shopping errand for the coach...with Charlie also suggesting Makoto go with them. Hmmm...seems the two Captains don't trust her by herself...

In the meantime, this gave David some time to collect his thoughts some, as well as possibly talk to the Captains with the idea of looking at his deck in order to further his growth. It wouldn't hurt to have one or both of them look at the deck, since they both Dueled against it...perhaps they could fix any inconsistencies or possible ways there could to synergize the deck to a much more efficient degree.

...either that or he'd go back to reading his novel...decisions, decisions.

makoto.png

"Oooh pick me! I wanna go! I'm VERY good at spending money."

For some reason, the duel team's captains did not seem to like that chain of sentences. Makoto didn't entirely blame them. After all, shopping wasn't about spending money. It was about getting things in exchange for that money. Sure, if she were a millionaire she could just go buy twenty cars or something, but what good would those do her if Makoto couldn't even drive? Peter seemed to have the same idea, and he wasted no time volunteering to go alongside Hana. That by contrast was a relief. Slightly less relieving was when captain Charlie pulled both her and Peter aside.

"You two seemed great together in practice last week~ So why don't you go with them, Makoto? After all, we don't want Hana spending our extremely limited budget on food and other frivolities, do we~? Avi and I can't tag along if the other senior member is going, so I trust you two will take care of it. Never let the money out of your siiiight~~~"

"Got it." Makoto replied after taking a moment to process everything that had just been said to her. Keep an eye on the money at all times, and don't let Hana spend it all on things that weren't on the shopping list. Best to make her intentions perfectly clear, then. Makoto raised up a hand once Charlie had left the two newbies to their own devices, and appropriately brought her voice up as well to declare "I'll tag along for the shopping trip, too!"

And this would be a good way to get more familiar with... wherever they were going.

...where were they going?

"So, what are we buying anyway?"

As the week went by, Terry did her best to try and loosen up around the group; she was going to be around them for the better part of the next semester after all, potentially even longer for some of them. Though, given this had only been a week, all that had really meant was… She managed to go a bit longer, even just a tiny bit longer, each day before she ‘powered down’ for the day. But, between that and the app they were given, she couldn’t help but feel like her improv skills? Her acting? Top notch, getting better every day.

And her actual dueling had to be getting better too… Right? Terry wasn’t exactly sure how to check her stats - she wasn’t great with technology - but she felt like she had been doing pretty well, even if they went a bit longer than they should have due to her… Theatrics. As she hovered outside the doorway, likely being passed by many of the other students, it took all her self control not to narrate, and monologue out loud. The only thing stopping her, being that, naturally, her opponents couldn’t hear her.

By the time she had finished dueling, and entered into the room, she felt a tiny bit bad or being so-close to being late; even Hana had gotten there before her. That meant she was definitely late. But… “Fuahaha, fools! I have finally arrived, despite a foolish warrior of light’s attempts to stop-” Terry cut her attempt to stay on brand off, eyes locking onto the new-arrival, an older lady who looked vaguely teacher-like. “...me.” She finished, much quieter as she looked around. 

It was only then that Makoto, or at least she thought the girl’s name was Makoto, volunteered for something to do with Hana and one of the others; a shopping trip? Steering clear of that mess, which would probably result in her leaving school grounds should she get wrapped up in it, Terry almost seemed to gravitate towards the team captains, clasping her hands together as she glanced around. “Sorry for being late,” she apologized, backpedaling from her own original entrance as she gave a slight bow. “I’m… Guessing Miss Clara is out?” She wondered aloud, glancing between Charlie and Avi as she rose back to her full-height. “And, um… If it isn't too much, could one of you fill me in on what we're doing today, if that's the case?"

Ms. Breiner smiled and pointed towards Hana as she enthusiastically volunteered saying, "then we have our first shopper." She then looked towards Peter, still smiling as she continued, "and a firm believer of the buddy system too!" As she handed off the money to Hana, Ms. Breiner looked towards Charlie seeing her take two underclassmen to the side. The woman couldn't help but giggle at the sight, but smiled at the trio as it seemed the girl, Makoto, was going to join in on the trip too. "Wonderful! I'm glad to see you've already made great friends with your upperclassmen...um..." The woman examined the two of them, then turned back to a sheet of paper on a seat next to hers. "Peter and Terry. As for what you will be doing, well."

She pointed to the list that was with the money. Looking intently at Hana, as if waiting for the girl to look at the list, once any of the three had done so as if on cue she said, "you'll be going food shopping!" True enough, the list would read that they were looking to go to a grocery or convenience store of some kind. The items in question seemed to be light snacks, such as granola bars and mini muffins, as well as fruits like, apples and bananas. There was also a request for water and various berry juices. "Oh, Clara also said something like," clearing her throat, making her tone of voice deeper the woman continued, "'if you spend all of the money, I'm taking your deck.'" Smiling again, she then said, "but just be sure to bring the groceries back. Best of luck!"

As she was speaking, she then noticed another person enter the room. Turning to face them, she waved saying, "oh no worries, we were just starting. You must be Makoto, right? My name is Ms. Breiner. Clara had important business to attend to today, so I'll be your substitute coach for the day. Feel free to ask me any questions about dueling, and I'll be sure to pass them onto Clara. Oh, but if you have any other questions to ask, I'll be sure to answer those to the best of my ability too! Let's all have a wonderful day of practice!"    

"Oh, more people! Good idea that means there's more arms to carry more stuff!" Hana grinned wide at the two who offered to come with. "Big sister Hana will show you both how to properly buy stuff!"

"you'll be going food shopping!"

Her eyes lit up at the statement and she almost started to drool right then and there thinking of all the things she could buy. "Remember, everyone, when shopping for food there's only one rule. Never too much food!"

"Oh, Clara also said something like, if you spend all of the money, I'm taking your deck.'"

"But if I spend it all then I can just get some more." Hana said, confused. But with a shrug she continued "well alright then Miss Teacher Lady. I'll make sure there's at least a couple dollars leftover." She gave her a thumbs up.

Hana then moved over into a position where she, even if she had to drag one or both, could put an arm around the shoulders of Makoto and Peter at the same time and pulled them close to herself. "Alright gang we're gonna buy SO much stuff. Gonna be the best dang shoppers this city has ever seen!"

The city was rather large. Not the largest around but it was big enough that it would be easy to get lost in if you didn't know the place. Which, given each of them had come from elsewhere, they didn't. Hana, who had been there before, somewhat knew where she was but she usually when going through the city would end up just wandering until she found something she was looking for. Or ended up being found wandering where she shouldn't and being helped out by a police officer.

Which was why, when they reached it, Hana turned towards her two companions, walking backwards despite the other people around her, "so, I have no idea where we are." Hana said with a big smile. "But I'm super ready to buy stuff aren't you? We just gotta...find a place to spend this money." With that she began to stare at the buildings around her and get distracted every other window by what was inside.

Peter had been in the city before, but he’d never actually gone to the city, if that made sense. Like, he’d always been taken, escorted by a parent or some other trusted guardian. Which had been fine by him, really. He was fourteen, after all, and he’d only been younger on previous visits. Now, without adult supervision (Makoto and Hana certainly didn’t count as adults), Peter finally got to appreciate how huge everything was.  Buildings were taller… streets were wider… everything!

There was also that added load of responsibility Peter found weighing on his shoulders. Not just as a representative of his parents and of Horizon Academy (a lecture he had heard all too often) but also his responsibility to the team to both get what they needed and not spend all the money Coach Clara had given. “I’ll take your deck,” Coach Clara had told Ms. Breiner. Even from the little time Peter had spent with her, he knew such a threat was serious.

Hana didn’t seem to think it was that big a deal, but he supposed that was why Makoto and he were coming too. Charlie in particular had seemed very insistent that Hana have some buddies with her. In fact, after following Hana around the city for a while, she turned around and said, “So I have no idea where we are,” so clearly it was warranted.

Peter didn’t have any idea where they were either, but he hadn’t been the one in the lead. Hana kept talking, something about just needing a place to spend Coach Clara’s money, but Peter kept looking around. Some of it was to get an actual sense of location -- any sort of landmark, whatever -- but also a huge sign caught his eye.

PEGASUS MARKET

“Isn’t that- isn’t that a grocery?” Peter said, pointing across the street at the sign. He didn’t know how Hana had missed it but he wasn’t exactly sure what else to say. “Can’t we just go there and then worry about getting back after that? Coach Clara didn’t ask us to get anything that would spoil, did she?”