Skaia

Yu-Gi-Oh! Horizon [IC/Not Accepting/PG-16]

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

“Alright.” She nodded, drawing, and entering into her standby phase.

Like clockwork, Time Thief Redoer took the top card from Lily’s deck, adding it to his Xyz Materials. This time...it was Obedience Schooled.

“Alright. The first thing I do, is use Melffy Mommy’s effect to attach Kalantosa, Mystical Beast of the Forest to it as an overlay material.” Lily explained, a small green shrubbery - on the back of a white rabbit-esq creature - popping up, protected by the massive Melffy. “Then…” She furrowed her eyebrows, staring at her board, and her hand, before letting out a loud sigh. “I attack your Redoer with my Ronin-Token!” She announced, nodding.

“An attack on Redoer...and I have no Monster Xyz Material...” David lamented, seeming a bit defeated, until he hit something. “Trap Card activate: Time Thief Flyback! The second part of the effect isn’t necessary currently, but the first is. I target my Redoer, and add a Time Thief card from my deck or hand to it’s Material. And I select...Time Thief Winder!” A card shot out of his deck slot and into his hand as he immediately added the card to Redoer’s Material. “And with it...I remove the Winder that was added as Material in order to banish it until the End Phase!”

Once more, Redoer began to distort himself and even fade at the declaration of this. “Time Thief Redoer...Time Hop!” Soon, the monster was gone, as were the Materials. “Now, if you could be so kind as to redo that Battle Phase.” David smirked, moving cards to the graveyard.

“Right! So… I’ll attack your other monster!” She exclaimed, pointing in an accusatory fashion - for what had to have been the umpteenth (or at least the second) time - as her monsters began to attack.

“Chronocorder’s skill!” David declared quickly. “I tribute it!” He said, immediately watching Chronocorder be tributed off the field. “Now, you're curious about how this will work to my benefit, correct?”

Wincing, Lily couldn’t help but let out a quiet groan. “I’m… Assuming my impulsiveness has screwed me over once again? But uh, yeah. How’s removing your only monster going to help you?”

“To be fair, Miss Williams, your impulsiveness isn’t an issue...speaking from experience on my part.” David simply said with a slight smile. “Nevertheless, Chronocorder’s skill allows me to tribute it during the Battle Phase...correction, during your Battle Phase specifically. And with that, any damage I take during the next battle, will instead be inflicted to you this turn.”

“...Ah.” She frowned, staring at her monsters. “So I suppose I should cancel that attack, since their targets would have to change…” She trailed off, staring at her hand. “I guess that means I… End my turn.” She glanced back upwards, a small smile forming on her face.

“Usual song and dance number, Redoer returns at the end of your turn.” David nodded, seeing Redoer return to the field. “And draw...and Standby. Redoer!” Redoer nodded and moved towards Lily again, taking the top card off her deck, adding it to his Material. “Hmmm…Melffy Playhouse.”

David looked a bit at his hand as well as surveying the field. A quick adjustment of his glasses later and he was back in the swing. “Activate another Time Thief Flyback. I add Time Thief Hack to Redoer’s Materials.” he said, now bringing Redoer’s amount to two. “Next, I remove Time Thief Hack from Redoer to activate his Spell Material effect...which I essentially just draw one card. Time Thief Redoer...Spell Material Effect - Chrono Bounty!” He immediately drew one more card, adding to his hand. “Next! I activate from the grave, Time Thief Startup! Now I add a total of three Time Thief cards, one Spell, Trap and Monster.”

He opened the graveyard tab on his Duel Disk and proceeded to select the cards. “Flyback, Regulator and Hack!” Immediately, he sent the cards right into Redoer’s Material, now bringing it up to four.

T.T. Redoer: 2400 ATK -> (+1200) -> 3600 ATK

“Now, I start the Battle Phase. And thanks to having your Melffy Playhouse in the Materials, I can attack you directly thanks to Time Thief Hack.” David smiled. “And unless you have something to stop it...I believe this will be game.”

“I, uh… I…” Lily would frown. She had wanted to see how this played out; but she hadn’t expected him to find a way around Melffy Mommy again. “I… Think so too.” She eventually replied, lowering her head. “Good Game, Kripaldi.”

David nodded, having Redoer attack Lily directly, immediately dropping her Life Points to zero. The Duel was over...and he had won. Once the holograms left the field, David took this moment to approach Lily. A hand was immediately outstretched towards the young girl. “That was a good game...and against someone who had a deck with a similar mechanic and general methodology with that one Xyz. I would hope to Duel you again sometime.”

It seemed as if it took Lily a moment, staring at the hand for a moment, before shaking her head, as if snapping out of something. “Hu- Oh, right!” She exclaimed, before taking the hand and shaking it. “You’re right, that was a good and interesting one!” She smiled, and even if it was forced at first, it seemed to soften up after a few seconds, becoming genuine. “And I... Think I would enjoy that as well.” She smiled, nodding.

"Good job David," Clara had said with equal enthusiasm as she had to Makoto's win, seeming to take notes on the duel as well. As she stared at what she had written, the woman looked to the opposing team before looking back to her own. The woman nodded to herself, a smile now forming on her face as she seemed to be pleased. Looking at Peter who had Hana attached to him, though, had caused her to raise an eyebrow. "Well, you're definitely not carrying her anywhere anytime soon. You're up next Peter." After a moment, the girl made a shooing motion towards Hana saying, "you're also going to need to get off of him." 

"Ew, that was rough." Leila nodded alongside Laurie. Sighing the girl said, "well, good try out there Lilly." Laurie patted her teammate on the shoulder once she returned. "You had a good set up and board state, it was just a bit of a bad match up. Beyond that too, you made some decisions in the wrong order, so be sure to stay mindful of the field and not get too anxious when things aren't going your way. Cool heads prevail and all that." 

The older male of the group clapped his hands together adding, "right she is. Don't mind a loss here. You'll get'em next time." 

Looking to the male and her coach, Laurie then asked, "so who's up next?" The coach seemed to look pensive for a moment, a hand to his chin as he continued to think. Then, looking back to the male, the two nodded and then looked over to Laurie. Confused for a moment, the girl pointed to herself. The two nodded. "But, I don't really think - " the two smiled, nodding again. "Fine. Whatever." Giving a wave the girl said, "I'm off."

As she walked to the field, Leila pumped her fist into the air as she spoke, "fight-o!" 

Taking a sigh, the girl looked towards her opponent saying, "well, looks like it's you and me. Here's to a fun match."

“Please don’t make me carry you there.”

Hana laughed. "Silly Peter. You're smaller than me I'd be the one carrying you!" She ruffled Peter's hair.

"Well, you're definitely not carrying her anywhere anytime soon. You're up next Peter. You're also going to need to get off of him." 

"Why?"

She blinked at the girl. Then stared blankly for a moment. “Because he can’t duel with you on top of him.” Pausing, the woman then added, “and he’s going the opposite direction of food.”

"Sure he can! Don't you believe in Peter? I do!" She then frowned and looked over at the snacks. Then back to Peter. "I'll be back." She said before getting up and bounding over towards the food. Filling both hands at once she alternated taking bites from one then another.

Looking over her shoulder she let out a muffled shout. "Oh yeah, good job David! Terry has a cheer for you probably so ask her!"

Now that she had visited each other the underclassmen Hana was a bit unsure where she wanted to be. It would be boring to go talk to her teammates again so maybe... She eyed the other side. The people from the other school. She wondered what they might have to say about everything.

She was feeling antsy so, making a tray with her shirt and putting a couple handfuls of snacks, she made her way over to them. "Heeeeyyyyyy!" She shouted as she approached. Waving energetically as she did.

Peter didn’t quite hear what Coach Clara had said besides “You’re up next, Peter,” but he inferred that given Hana got up and off him, he had Clara to thank for that as well. He didn’t get up right away, though, even after that had happened, instead mentally bracing himself for the duel ahead. It did probably mean he looked a little silly to both his teammates and his upcoming opponent, but his mind was elsewhere.

He remembered back when he was younger and significantly more naive, playing against his mother on the dining room table, and he had just asked how it felt playing on a professional field. It was a question he’d asked before, it had to have been loads of times at that point, and the standard answer had always been “You're too young to worry about that,” or “Let’s focus on getting you there first, hm?” But this time, for whatever reason, his mother instead set down her cards and started looking a little contemplative.

“It can be a little lonely,” she said. “There are cameras and the crowd, and even the opponent, yes, so it’s not like there isn’t anyone around -- it’s not that sort of loneliness. But it can feel like it’s you against the world sometimes. All those eyes, they’ll never give you an inch, you think. But you’ll get used to it. You have to. Despite the pressure they bring, you don’t want those eyes looking somewhere else. Then they forget you exist.”

He was up next. It was time! The mother in his head was saying different things now, like “Stay focused,” and “Remember your fundamentals.” Peter pushed himself off the ground and returned to his bag where his deck and duel disk awaited him. They fit into place just like they always did. Laurie was his opponent? That didn’t matter. The only thing that mattered right now was him.

That didn’t stop him from shaking hands with her at the middle of the field, of course. He wasn’t that far gone. “Here’s to a fun match,” Laurie even said, which Peter reciprocated before producing a coin.

“Call it,” Peter said.

“Tails.”

Peter gave the coin a flip and watched it spin in the air a few times before snatching it and slamming it on his wrist. “Looks like I’m going first,” he said, adding, “Good luck again,” before walking back to his side of the field.

"It's time to duel!"

His hand was… it was fine. His father was already lecturing in his ear about how he should be playing the hand he drew instead of wishing for something else, though, and that started to bother him more than the cards themselves did. He did have a few plays, though. “I’ll start with the card Cards of Consonance,” he said. “Pretty simple, I can discard a Dragon Tuner to draw two cards. My dragon tuner of choice is The White Stone of Ancients.”

He flashed both cards before slipping them into his graveyard. “I’ll set a card too, but at the end of my turn, White Stone effect activates. Because it went to the graveyard, I can Special Summon a Blue-Eyes monster.

“Blue-Eyes White Dragon!” Peter called out, and the named card flew out of the deck slot in his disk and right into his hand, which in turn went in a fluid motion right into the slot. Right on cue, the dragon itself appeared in the middle of the battlefield. The acoustics of its roar were significantly different than back at Horizon’s gym, the sound had an echo to it that lingered for so much longer.

“Like I said, that happened during my End Phase, so it’s your turn now.”

“I’ll draw,” Laurie declared as she did just that. She frowned as she looked between her hand and the monster on the field, mumbling, “It just had to be something that big.” Looking back to her hand, the girl finally nodded to herself. “Not much to do here myself either. I’ll set one monster face down, and set two cards face down.” With a smile, the girl gestured back to Peter saying, “that’s it for my turn.”

Alright, well, Peter was the one with a monster in Attack position, which meant he was on the offensive, right in his comfort zone. He was, of course, suspicious of Laurie’s face-downs -- he didn’t even know what Laurie’s deck was yet! -- but he wasn’t about to let her reveal her secrets on her own terms. “Draw,” Peter said, and immediately the line of play appeared before him.

“So first thing’s first, I’m going to Summon Priestess with Eyes of Blue,” Peter said as the holy woman appeared on the field. “But it’s not going to be here for long. I also had a Sage in hand, so by discarding it, I can get another Blue-Eyes onto the battlefield. But not only that,” -- he remembered this time -- “because I targeted Priestess, I can get two more to my hand.

“Blue-Eyes White Dragon! I summon another!” The dragon’s roar was no less imposing the second time. “Plus, I found my third with Priestess and Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon. Here, I’ll even show you it again,” he said, flashing the cards to all onlookers. “By doing this, Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon can be Special Summoned as well.”

Summoning a bunch of monsters in one turn felt like it was supposed to be against the rules. But there they were, and Laurie hadn’t done anything to stop him just yet. Well, now was the time to figure out if she could. “Battle!” Peter said. “Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon, let’s start by attacking that face-down.”

Laurie took a cautious step back as she was suddenly facing off against three dragons, not doing anything as the alt dragon attacked her face down. Flipping over, it revealed to be a small black dragon with red eyes, which didn’t stick around long as it was instantly destroyed. Clearing her throat, stepping forward with a smile now on her face she said, “well, what was just destroyed was Red-Eyes Baby Dragon. And when he goes to the graveyard I can summon a Red-Eyes monster from my deck. And so, I’m going to summon Gearfried, The Red-Eyes Iron Knight in defense mode!” 

As she called this out, a man with bladed arms in black and red armor showed up with Red-Eyes Baby hopping onto his back. “Red-Eyes baby also attaches itself to the monster it summons as an equip card, but when Gearfried has an equip card attached to him he can send it to the grave and one spell or trap of yours. So,” as she pointed towards Peter’s facedown, the dragon turned into a black and red flame that ran across Gearfried’s blade. With a swing of it, the flames overtook Peter’s facedown -- Majesty with Eyes of Blue -- and destroyed it. The knight returned to his defensive stance, with Laurie continuing, “also, when Baby is sent to the graveyard as an equipped card, I can add a level 1 dragon to my hand, that being this guy.” The girl pulled The Black Stone of Legend from her deck, adding it to her hand before stating, “but, that’s all from that. Still your battle phase though.”

“Right,” Peter said. Red-Eyes! Of course! He felt like there was a god up there with a sense of humor, pitting him up against a counterpart archetype like this. The parents in his head were chastising him for even thinking about those circumstances, but he couldn’t help it. Still, like they’d both said, he was on the offensive. “I’ll send one of my Blue-Eyes after your Gearfried, then.” 

Laurie didn’t seem to be too bothered as the attack struck the knight, instead saying, “Sorry for the interrupt again, but, when a Red-Eyes monster I control is destroyed, I can Special Summon this guy from my hand: Red-Eyes Retro Dragon. And when he’s summoned, he also brings back the destroyed monster.” As she finished her explanation, out from the ground Gearfried rose again, taking his defensive posture once more as a black and red dragon of similar stature flew down next to him. “Again, still your battle phase.”

Maybe it was because Laurie still had gas in the tank, maybe it was because, again, of course he knew it was still his turn to attack, whatever the reason, Peter couldn’t help but let out an annoyed tsk. “Alright, I still have one more Blue-Eyes to attack with. Let’s get rid of your Retro Dragon, then. Anything you have to say to that?”

Laurie waved her hand saying, “Go ahead,” and both Peter and she watched on as the Blue-Eyes’ beam of light obliterated the Red-Eyes.

There wasn’t really any following that, at least on his end, Peter decided. “Well, that’s my turn, then,” Peter said. “Your go.”

makoto.png

As the duel between Peter and Laurie began, Makoto watched with full interest. She'd seen and dueled Peter in action before, but her interest only grew when Laurie's monsters were revealed. "Look at that!" she exclaimed. "One of them uses Blue-Eyes, and the other uses Red-Eyes! It's like fate planned it!" Then Peter beat down the opponent with an all-out assault of his own dragons, felling monster after monster in Laurie's arsenal. It seemed that somehow though, she'd come out of it all unscathed.

"Don't let up!" she cheered. Swinging a pair of punches forward into the air, Makoto continued "Keep swingin' until you can't swing no more! That's what Uncle Makoto always told me!"

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"Good job David,"

"Thank you..." David simply nodded, adjusting his glasses some as now it was Peter's time to shine. And of course, Hana was already sprouting something along the lines of Terry having a cheer for him all ready for him. "...bit later for that I suppose, but I appreciate it."

Nevertheless, he immediately took his seat in the stands and watched Peter and his opponent, Laurie, start. And there truly was a force of irony here today at this little event, and it was definitely showed right now in this Duel. "Blue-Eyes versus Red-Eyes...what an alignment of the stars for this to happen." David mused, smirking slightly.

"One of them uses Blue-Eyes, and the other uses Red-Eyes! It's like fate planned it!"

When Makoto said this, David had to question it in his head. Was it really a divine fate plan...or was it something more sinister: planned by the coaches. Honestly, the Duelist of Time did believe this to be a bit more true than it just being fate. However, back to the Duel in question, David watched intently...not expecting the combination of utilizing Gearfried into it. "Curious though, I wouldn't have at first thought of seeing a Gearfried monster...even if it's a part of the Red-Eyes archetype and series. Nevertheless, it does seem to work in her favor. Something tells me that Peter is going to have a hard time ahead of him." One thing was definitely for certain for David...he adored the design of Red-Eyes Retro Dragon.

Clara was watching the duel intently as it begun, but was then stunned as Hana had ran over from their side to their opponents. She looked at the girl, somewhat dumbfounded her actions. With the duel already underway she didn't feel like shouting to interrupt the flow the both of them had going on at the moment. So she glared at the girl, sighed, and looked back to the duel, ready to shout when it was all over. 

Meanwhile, on the other side of the field, Leila waved over to Hana as she made her way over, with the green haired boy laughing as she came over. "Hi Hana. Did you come to watch the duel with us here?" The girl paused for a moment before going wide eyed saying, "oh, did you want to join our team instead?" 

"Leila, I don't think that's possible." 

Looking to the boy, the girl gave an understanding nod. "Just watching is fine, then."

The green haired boy gave a soft chuckle saying, "I'm still not sure if that's the case." Shrugging and then smiling, he stretched out a hand to the girl saying, "Hana, was it? Welcome to the Ocean Coast's seating booth, where you can watch our glorious Captain duel from her side."

Laurie smiled and both quickly and shortly pumped her fist into the air, happy to have weathered the first attack from Peter. Collecting herself, she then said, "alright, my turn. Draw!" Adding the new card to her hand, the girl took a moment to look them over, mulling on the cards. "First I activate the spell card, Cards for Red Stone. This is like your Cards of Consonance, but instead of a level 1 tuner, I get to send a Level 7 Red-Eyes from my hand, and also one from my deck too. So Both Red-Eyes Black Dragon and Red-Eyes Flare Dragon are going to the graveyard." As the girl sent the two cards to her graveyard, she then drew two more, nodding as she seemed pleased with what she got. "Alright, now I summon the Black Stone of Legend I got last turn. And its effect lets me tribute it to summon a Red-Eyes monster from my deck. So,  I'll be bringing out Red-Eyes Archfiend of Lightning!" 

As Laurie summoned the black stone, the stone began to crack open as lightning burst out and from it the Skeletal demon burst out. "And that's not all, next I can activate one of my face downs. Return of Red-Eyes! This lets me summon a Red-Eyes normal monster from my graveyard, and since Red-Eyes Flare Dragon is in the graveyard he counts as one. Now my field has the same number of monsters as yours. Though, that's not going to stay the case. 

"I'll use the spell card Fusion Substitute, to fuse together my Archifiend and Flare Dragon." As she called this out, the two monsters turned into a swirl of purple energy, mixing together. As they did, a pillar of black and red flame erupted out from the ground, a demonic black and red dragon stepping out from it letting loose a powerful roar to match the Blue-Eyes's.

"So here he is, my fusion summoned Archfiend Black Skull Dragon! Finally, all that's left is to show my other trap card, Red-Eyes with Chain. While it has two effects, only one of them matters right now, that being that I can take a monster of yours and equip it to a Red-Eyes Monster of mine. Then, my monster's attack becomes equal to the attack of the equipped monster. So, that Blue-Eyes of yours is Gearfried's now." As she finished explaining, the blade ended chain appeared in Gearfried's hands. Twirling the weapon around, it tossed the weapon at one of the Blue-Eyes White Dragons, hooking around it before the chain glowed red, absorbing the monster into it. 

Gearfried: 1800 ATK →  3000 ATK.  

"Now, with a monster bigger than yours and one tied, there's only one thing left to do. Let's battle. Both of my monster's will go and attack both of yours. Any response?"

Peter grimaced. “Well, I’m not happy about it, but yeah, I guess that’s happening.”

Laurie grinned at his remark. "Good to hear. Go! Gearfried, Black Skull, take those dragons on!" At her command, Gearfried began to spin his chain weapon as the second Blue-Eyes White Dragon began to charge up its breath attack. As it let loose a burst of white lightning Gearfried tossed its chain, snaking around the attack and the two attacks  colliding with their opponent at the same time, destroying both of them. Meanwhile, Black Skull Dragon had a much easier time, letting loose a blast of dark flame that completely consumed the Alternative Dragon and left Peter's field empty. 

Peter: 8000 LP →  7800 LP 

"With the end of my battle phase, Black Skull's effect activates too. I can return a normal Red-Eyes monster from my grave to my deck, and deal damage equal to its attack to you. So Red-Eyes Archfiend comes back and your life points go down." As she grabbed the card and placed it in her deck, Black Skull flexed and let out a roar as a blast of flame erupted from its body. 

Peter: 7800 LP →  5300 LP 

A pleased smile was on Laurie's face as she clenched her fist in joy. The girl continued to smile as she looked to a card in her hand and nodded. "Next, I'll set one card face down, and with the first damage going to me, I'll end my turn." 

"oh, did you want to join our team instead?" 

"Leila, I don't think that's possible." 

"Oooh darn. That'd be cool. Being on TWO teams at once! Then we could have a match where I duel myself!" Hana giggled. "But I guess if you say it's not possible then can't do it...but nothing against the rules about hanging around. Probably."

"Hana, was it? Welcome to the Ocean Coast's seating booth, where you can watch our glorious Captain duel from her side."

"Captain? Oh, that's the captain? Oooh, Peter is facing the captain! But that's okay because he's a genius."

“A genius huh? Well the rest of your first years seem pretty smart so far so he must be a real cut above the rest!”

“Lauries also a genius,” Leila added.

"Well, Peter is a YOUNG genius, and those are like, double genius or something. Right? I'm not really good at math. But I'm sure it'll be a fun one!" She glanced back at the field and tilted her head. "Don't really know what's goin on though."

Leila nodded at Hana's remark, adding, “she’s also a probably a double genius.”

The green haired boy laughed at this before looking to Hana saying, “well the gist of it is that they both summoned a bunch of monsters and fought with them. Lauries came out ahead, but your boy genius probably has something in the wings.”

"Well, Dragons do have wings I suppose." Hana's stomach growled. "Do you have any food over here?"

Leila reached into her pocket, pulling out two bagels, and handed one over to Hana before beginning to eat the other one.

"Pocket bagel! Why didn't I think of that? The Noodle Chieftain is a master of other foods as well!" She took a bite out of said bagel and waved her other hand towards the boy. Mumbling through the mouthful she said "So who're you anyway?"

Most of what Terry had to say was either cut off by excited cheers, or pauses as she watched the duel unfold before her with bated breath. It was only when David finally came out on top that she was able to pause, grinning widely. “Yoooo! Way to go, Dave-O!” She called out, pumping a fist into the air. “You really showed them your dark power! With the smoothness of a gentleman, contrasting with your nature of a thief, you really stole that battle out from under their feet!” She continued, practically bouncing as he returned to the group. “On top of that, strategically you were matched blow-for-blow with a mimicked style! Yet you pulled through in the end, and…!” She paused, waiting to see who was called up for the next match.

Terry’s hype levels seemed to only grow as Peter went up to duel his opponent, and the match before them became more and more apparent. “Woah…” She trailed off, watching as the clashing aesthetics of their dragons took the field. “One warrior of light, one warrior of darkness… One who wants to bring an eternal light, and one who would extinguish that so that they could live in harmony…” She trailed off, bringing a hand to her mouth. “So…! Cool…!” She grinned, bringing a hand up to fidget with her cloak. “David-Makoto! Are you two seeing this?” She turned to the other students, stars in her eyes as, either no longer caring, or too  hyped to notice how dumb or excited she looked. “Are you seeing this?! This is like, some perfect stuff in writing! Light vs Darkness, a hero with a cloudy past, who’s lofty-goals are only inhibited by the mirror which reflects his abilities back, but this time exaggerated and deformed…! It’s like something right out of a story!” She exclaimed, bringing her hands up. “Be it fate, or destiny, this battle is so…! So cool! Oh- But-” She paused, as if composing herself, before turning back to face the duel at-hand.

“You can do it, Peter!” Terry shouted, moving her hands to cup around her mouth. “Show them how bright your light is! Don’t let ANY other warrior of darkness beat you before me, you hear me?!” She called out, pausing. “Your light will shine brighter than any other! As the protagonist of this story, you’re destined to fall to me, and me only! So show them! Show them the Horizon of your light! One they can never hope to match! A gift from the gods, that only a god itself can remove!”

The sheer amount of effect damage Peter took at the end of Laurie’s turn staggered him. He was still in the duel and he still had a few options, he thought, what with four cards in hand before his draw phase, but he still needed to collect himself before he moved past the end of Laurie’s turn. The cheering from both sides didn’t help either. He wasn’t expecting it to be completely quiet, but there was a different atmosphere back when he’d dueled Charlie that he couldn’t seem to find in this foreign gym.

Not that he was about to blame anything other than his play if the trend continued; the voices of his parents in his head wouldn’t let him. “Draw,” Peter said. He didn’t look at the card right away, though, instead shuffling it into his hand to see his full set of options without regard to his previous inclinations. He had to find the line here.

“I’ll start by summoning Master with Eyes of Blue,” he said. “It lets me get back another level one tuner from my Graveyard. I’ll choose…” Even as the wizened master stepped onto the battlefield Peter hesitated, double-checking to the fullest extent. But he did know which he had to choose, and why. “I’ll choose Sage, but I’ll send it right back along with Master. You remember my last turn when I did that, right? I can’t get a bunch of Blue-Eyes like with Priestess, but I still get to summon the one, and that one is Dragon Spirit of White!”

The dragon that stepped forth was more ethereal than the other ones Peter had summoned in the duel thus far, or even in any duel any of the spectators were likely to have seen. It radiated power, it seemed, which, along with the normal hologram effect, certainly made the “Spirit” name seem apt. “Dragon Spirit of White always counts as a Blue-Eyes monster,” Peter said. Indeed, anyone paying closer attention than most could see through its radiating miasma and notice the dragon’s tell-tale blue eyes. “That’s how I was able to summon it. But it has another effect when summoned, too: I can banish a spell or trap of my choosing.

“And there’s really only one target for that, isn’t there?” A part of the dragon’s essence split off from the main body and flew forward, headed straight for Laurie’s face-down.

Frowning, Lauriel said, “Well, I didn’t want to use this so readily, but here. I activate my trap card, Red-Eyes Spirit. Now, this lets me revive one Red-Eyes monster from my graveyard and bring it to the field, so Red-Eyes Baby Dragon is coming back yet again. In defense mode.” As the dragon came back onto the field, Laurie smirked. “And you remember what this guy does, right? So, unless you’ve got a lot more in the tank seems I’m going to be safe from damage for another turn.” 

He did, in fact, have more in the tank. “I have some more tricks in my Graveyard,” Peter said. “White Stone of Ancients has this ability where I can banish it from there to get back a Blue-Eyes, and you so helpfully put my Alternative Dragon there, so let’s just make that happen.” A faded afterimage of that gleaming white egg appeared on the field for a moment as Peter moved his cards around. Even after the exchange was finished it remained on the field, though, seemingly anticipating what Peter was about to do next. “I still have that Blue-Eyes in hand that I got last turn, so why not just show you that again and just bring it to the field? Here’s Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon once again!”

The egg shook and cracked for a few moments before exploding, creating a cloud of smoke that obscured Peter’s side. It was only for a moment -- the smoke dissipated quickly -- but then, in the egg’s place, was that same Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon. “It’s not as strong as your Archfiend,” Peter remarked, “but, then again, it doesn’t have to be. With Alternative Dragon, I can just forgo attacking with it to destroy it with its effect. How’s that?”

Shrugging, Laurie said, “Can’t be helped, I didn’t expect him to last that long. But” -- she said this as the destruction followed, Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon sending a ball of energy straight through her Archfiend -- “I’ve still got Baby Dragon on my board.” 

“Right. Well, I’ve one final play,” Peter said, “then I’ll get to attacking. I have Chaos Form in hand. I have Blue-Eyes Chaos MAX Dragon in hand. By playing the former, and banishing this Blue-Eyes White Dragon you also destroyed, I can summon the latter. Blue-Eyes Chaos MAX Dragon!”

Ocean Coast’s gym was bigger than Horizon’s but that just meant that when Chaos MAX Dragon dominated the room, it really dominated it. Peter wasn’t sure even he had seen it this large, and yet there it was, towering over everything else. “It does double piercing damage,” he said. “Let’s send it right at your Baby Dragon.”

Laurie’s nonchalance broke away as genuine shock filled her expression, as the dragon reared back its head charging its breath weapon. Then, with one explosive blast of white lightning, Laurie’s Red-Eyes Baby Dragon was instantly destroyed. 

Laurie 8000 LP → 1400 LP

Standing there for a second, the girl cleared her throat trying to recollect herself. “Well, um, that was a lot. But, Baby Dragon’s effect still goes off, and I can now summon Meteor Dragon Red-Eyes Impact onto the field in defense mode.” As the dragon was brought out onto the field, Red-Eyes Baby Dragon came back, equipping itself to the burning black dragon. “It’s not as big as your Spirit Dragon but it’ll still take it on, I’m sure.” She had a nervous smile on her face as she said it.

“Yeah?” Peter said. “Let’s see. Spirit Dragon, you’re up.”

Dragon Spirit of White roared its assent, rising up to challenge Laurie’s new monster, bringing a ghostly claw swiping down diagonally, cutting Red-Eyes Impact in two.

“Looks like it’s his loss then, but he did his job well to protect me,” Laurie said. “And because Baby Dragon went from the field to the graveyard, I can add the Black Stone of Legend in my grave back to my hand. Anything else?” The “anything else” part of the question had a significantly more nervous tone than the rest of the statement.

Peter took that as a dare, even though he couldn’t follow through with taking it any further. He surveyed the board and the one card remaining in his hand one final time. “No, I think that’s it,” he said. “Do your worst.”

Laurie let out a large sigh of relief. “Thank goodness.” Looking back to Peter, the girl cleared her throat trying to regain her composure before saying, “Right, uh, my turn!”

As she drew though, a confident smile appeared on her face, and she began to play. ”Just like last time, it’s my turn to counterattack,” Laurie said. “First, I activate the Fusion Substitute in my Graveyard. By banishing it I can draw a card from my deck and put a fusion monster in my grave back into my Extra Deck.”

Taking Black Skull from her graveyard, she placed it back in her Extra Deck before drawing and continuing. “Now, I activate the spell card Dragon’s Mirror. With it, I can banish monsters in my field and Graveyard to summon a Dragon Fusion Monster. So, I’ll use the Meteor Impact you just sent and the Black Flare dragon as the materials, and then...” A mirror appeared on Laurie’s field, and the two dragons were sucked into it before the mirror started to glow black and red. Suddenly, the mirror ignited, exploding into black and red flame bringing out a different large dragon than the one before. “I Fusion Summon Meteor Black Comet Dragon! 

“Here comes Black Comet’s effect:” Laurie continued, “When it’s Fusion Summoned, I can send a Red-Eyes Monster from deck to the grave and deal half of its attack to you as damage. So, I’ll take another Red-Eyes Flare and deal 1200 points of damage to you.” The dragon roared, conjuring a few small meteors that peppered the field around Peter. 

Peter 5300 LP → 4100

Peter grit his teeth. Just because it didn’t sting as much as last time didn’t mean it didn’t sting. 

Laurie wasn’t finished, though. “Now to set up the final piece,” she said. “I summon the Black Stone of Legend, and, using its effect, I can tribute it to bring out Red-Eyes Black Dragon. And now, by tributing a Red-Eyes monster, I can Special Summon my very own Red-Eyes Alternative Dragon!” The Black Stone appeared, breaking for the namesake dragon of the Archetype to appear, only for that too to be engulfed in flames, as if using them to evolve into the alternate form. “Now everything’s set up. Red-Eyes Alternative Dragon attacks Dragon Spirit of White!” 

Hold on. “Twenty-four hundred attack to twenty-five hundred,” Peter said. Laurie was so confident that he was the one nervous now. “You sure?”

Laurie answered immediately, the smile never fading from her face. “You bet I am! See, as you might be aware my dragons are pretty tenacious and he’s no different. Because when Alternative Dragon is destroyed, I can special summon a Red-Eyes monster from my graveyard onto the field.” As she called this out, Alternative Dragon let loose a breath of flame towards the Spirit Dragon, only for both the attack and itself to be destroyed by the dragon's ghostly white claw. 

Laurie 1400 LP → 1300 LP

“So now, I bring back Red-Eyes Black Dragon! And that’s not all. If the monster that was summoned was Red-Eyes Black Dragon its original attack is doubled!” Laurie said. As she declared this, a plume of flame erupted from behind her, the namesake dragon of her deck arising from it. As it did, though, it was clear that the dragon was far larger than it had been the first time it was summoned, now seeming to even surpass Chaos MAX. 

Red-Eyes 2400 ATK → 4800 ATK 

“Now, with two dragons on the field that are bigger than yours, there’s only one thing to do. I end my battle phase!” 

“You what?”

“I don’t attack. I can’t win if I do,” Laurie said matter-of-factly. “Because even if I brought down your dragons now, it wouldn’t be enough to win this turn. And who knows what else you’ve got. So instead, I’ll do this. I activate the Spell Card Inferno Fire Blast. Which means that when I have a Red-Eyes Black Dragon on the field, I deal damage to you equal to its original attack. Which just happens to be 4800 right now.” Looking up, the large Red-Eyes began to charge its breath attack, letting loose an enormous ball of flame towards Peter and striking at him directly. 

Peter 4100 LP → 0 LP 

“And that’s my win.”

The blast had knocked Peter off his feet, but he didn’t hurry to get back up. He stared at the gymnasium ceiling as his dragons dissolved around him, immediately going through and picking apart various aspects of his play. Surely there had to be something he could have done differently, but if he acknowledged that it meant he had been outplayed somewhere, and his mental parents -- maybe even his real ones if they found out -- would never let him hear the end of it if that were the case.

At the moment, at least, they were only reminding him to be gracious in his defeat. He did have to stand up for that, lurching himself back to standing before trundling along to the center of the gym where Laurie was waiting for him. “Good game,” Peter said, offering his hand. He almost added “I’ll beat you next time,” though he just managed to stop himself.

“You put up a good fight,” Laurie said, reciprocating the handshake. “I got a little scared there for a moment. Thanks for the match.”

Peter still felt numb as he walked back to Horizon’s side of the gym, back to the rest of the team (most of them winners, too, which made it worse), and he was still trying to place why. Was it the holograms, maybe? His loss to Makoto hadn’t felt nearly as terrible. Peter dismissed that reason with a shake of his head. Coach Clara had been right when she’d said that the disks and the visual cues were ancillary to the actual cards themselves. His parents would probably agree with that too, not like he was about to ask.

Was it having victory snatched away, the jaws of defeat crunching down just as it escaped his grasp? Maybe, but, like, Charlie had seemed pretty okay when Peter had done it, so if that was the reason it just made him feel worse for how much he still had to grow up. Maybe it was the inherent rivalry in the cards, then, Red-Eyes versus Blue. Maybe it was…

“I need to take a walk,” Peter muttered to himself. Well, he needed to face Coach Clara first, probably. But he did need to do at least something to get out of his funk.

The green haired boy chuckled again at Laurie giving one of her various snacks to the Horizon girl, smiling at her as she asked who he was. "Me? Well, you're looking at the Vice Captain of Ocean Coast's duel team, Luan." Throwing his hands to the side emphatically, as it emphasize his introduction. As the giant Black Dragon appeared on the battlefield, Luan looked over to the duel saying, "oh, things don't look good for your boy genius." 

"Laurie won." 

A small smile on his face, the boy said, "well, that's not really surprising." 

Laurie turned her back to Peter letting out another sigh of relief as she managed to pull out the win. The girl internally admonished herself for being a bit off of her game at the start at the duel. She always had trouble with decks that made monsters that were consistently stronger than her own and feeling flustered in the face of them wasn't exactly the best look in her first duel as Captain. Walking back, ruminating on the duel, the girl looked over to her teammates, seeing Leila with a half eaten bagel in her mouth and both of her hands raised. Going to high five with both of her hands, the girl smiled. "I'm back." Leila mumbled something through her bagel. "Come on Leila it's not like -" looking to the side she suddenly noticed Hana. "Oh, hi? What are you...?"

"She wanted to watch with us." 

"Right." Laurie didn't seem to understand, but then looked to the side calling out, "Letty, you're up." Looking back to Hana she said, "well, normally you're supposed to stay with your team during these duels but, I guess it's a practice?" As she heard the call of the Horizon coach, she looked back over to Hana saying, "are you sure you want to stay over here though?"

"Tsk." Clara frowned at the loss, though since the end of Peter's last turn she had been expecting it. Putting a hand to her chin, the woman tried to think about the duel and what as a coach she should say to the boy. She couldn't imagine telling him that he just do better next time would work; when she did that in the past it only seemed to infuriate others so she had no basis to really think it would work now. Similarly, scolding for what they did wrong right as they lost never seemed to work well either. Furrowing her brow, the woman realized that coaching really was a difficult beast. As a result, she decided to not say anything to him instead giving him a confused look - unsure of how to actually address him - and then looked over to the others. "Alright, Terry, you're up." Looking back across the field she remembered that someone else was directing her frustration and so she shouted out, "Hana what are you doing?" 

"Me? Well, you're looking at the Vice Captain of Ocean Coast's duel team, Luan."

"Oooh." Hana responded and clapped. "So you're almost the best. That's almost awesome then!" the girl nodded without realizing that her words were not as complimentary as she probably thought.

"Laurie won." 

Hana glanced back over at the duel just in time to see that, yup, Laurie had one. She shrugged. "Well it was probably a fun match. Maybe I should have watched it more....I wonder what deck she used..."

She saw Peter walking off seemingly in a funk. Should she go over there? Nah, that didn't sound very fun. She could bother him any other time but there wasn't many times she could do this.

"Oh, hi? What are you...?"

"She wanted to watch with us." 

"Right."

She waved at Laurie. "Hi again! Welcome home. Or something."

When Laurie asked if she was sure she wanted to be over here Hana nodded. "Yep. I came here cause I wanted to be here. So why wouldn't I? I thought it would be fun so here I am!"

"Hana what are you doing?" 

She waved at her Coach with both hands. "Hiiii coach! I'm standing! And eating a bagel!" She paused and glanced over at Leila "You don't happen to have another for coach do you?"

Leila thought for a moment, ruffling through her pockets for a moment before shaking her head. Instead of a bagel, though, she pulled a lollipop out.

"We don't have any more bagels but do you want a lollipop!?" Hana called out to the coach.

"I want you to get back over here."

"Hey, can I bring that to her?" Hana asked. After being given the candy she waved to them. "Bye for now friends." She then made her way over to the coach and presented her with the lollipop. "Here you go!"

Clara's annoyance was evident on her expression. Yet still, she reached out and grabbed the candy saying, "thanks..."

"You're welcome! Soooo...did you wanna hang out or something?"

Letting out a deep sigh, the woman said, "just...just go watch the upcoming duel." She then put the lollipop in her mouth.

Hana tilted her head to the side. "I was gonna do that over there anyway." Was the angle over here different than over there? She saw the same things from this side really. Except she couldn't see her teammate's face. Maybe that was why!

"Well, that's against the rules."

Hana stared at the woman for a few moments before, honestly shocked, saying "There's RULES?"

Finally, she was up to bat. Letty had been waiting for this ever since she heard there were going to be practice duels with some of Horizon’s numbers. Dueling the others here was all well and good, but she craved new opponents, new experiences, and new struggles. Her deck was already shuffled, duel disk primed, and as Letty stepped up to face her opposite number, she’d already started drawing her opening hand - making sure not to look at it - as she greeted with a smile, “Welcome to Ocean Coast. I hope you’ve enjoyed your brief visit.”

Terry had been simultaneously dreading and looking forward to this, as the coach called her name. “Oh, uh… Alright!” She nodded, almost completely taken out of her previous hype as she took a deep breath. “Right, right…!” She paused, getting up as she started off towards the center of the arena. “Oh, uh, Peter-” she started off as she passed the other, pausing for just a moment. “...You did good, okay? And you’ll get ‘em next time, after your next training montage-” she tried to explain, before cutting herself off, taking a deep breath, as her opponent greeted her.

“Oh, uh…” Terry paused, clearing her throat, and turning to face her opponent. “...Of course!” She smiled, cocking her head to the side. “The duels have been just exquisite, the perfect sort of appetizer for a Final Boss’ eyes to feast upon while she waited her turn,” she paused, drawing her own hand and doing the same, eyes locked onto her opponent. “So, now that the time has come, shall I, the Final Boss, a being focused solely on the destruction of all human realms and those who reside within them, begin this dance of death, or shall you, the challenger, step up to the plate, and take the first shot?”

“Final Boss, you say?” Letty asked, seeming all the more eager to duel it out now. “I suppose I’ll take the first turn, then! Please, do everything you can to trample and trounce my efforts. If you can.” Finally taking a look at her hand, Letty pondered her first move for a bit, before resigning “I don’t have a deck well-suited to a quick start, though. For now, I’ll set one monster face-down, as well as these two other cards. That’s all. Now show me that Final Boss power!”

“You asked for it!” Terry grinned, drawing her first card, and glancing over her cards. After a short pause, she picked a card from the center, nodding. “First, I play Terraforming, which allows me to add one Field-Spell card to my hand; and from there, I play the card I drew: Proscenium of Destruction and Fright, Arena of Darkness-- Generaider Boss Stage!” She exclaimed, slamming the card onto the field as soon as it was drawn. 

The room around them was bathed in blue light as six circles rose from the floor, creating a blue sigil just in front of Terry. “From there, I summon the herald of disaster, the prophetic god of deception, Loptr, the shadow of the Generaider Bosses!” She called out, a priest bathed in white robes rising from the ground, kneeling as he bowed his head. With a flourish of his sleeves, red and blue trim scattered before him, his smirk illuminated only by the symbol before him. “Then, I’ll place one card face-down in my spell and trap zone, before ending my turn.” She smiled, nodding as the blank obelisk appeared before her.

“Is that it?” Letty frowned. She certainly wasn’t feeling very trounced or trampled right now. Drawing her next card, Letty eyed over what all she was working with, before nodding to herself. “I suppose if you won’t make the first move, I’ll take the liberty myself! First thing’s first, I’ll activate the spell card Vampire’s Domain! Once per turn, I can pay 500 Life Points to get an extra Normal Summon that turn for a Vampire monster. I’ll be doing that now.”

Letty: 8000 > 7500

“Next, I’ll tribute my face-down Vampire Familiar to summon Vampire Grimson!” In the place of the small bat Letty had tributed, a blue-skinned man, wielding a scythe and donned in a crimson cloak appeared. “This is where Familiar really comes into play. By discarding a card, I can Special Summon him back, so I’ll be discarding this Vampire Grace to do exactly that!” As Letty discarded her card, the little bat re-appeared with an impressively not-menacing screech. “And when he’s Special Summoned, I can pay 500 Life Points to activate his other effect, letting me add one Vampire monster from my deck to my hand. I’ll do that, and add Shadow Vampire to my hand.”

Letty: 7500 > 7000

“Now then, I’ll use that extra summon I paid for earlier, tributing Vampire Familiar - banishing it now that I’ve summoned it with its own effect, mind you - to summon Shadow Vampire and activate his effect!” As the bat was once again removed from the field, and replaced by the towering silhouette of a man with a sword and shield, Letty explained “When he’s summoned, Shadow Vampire lets me summon a Vampire monster from my hand or deck. From the deck, I’ll be summoning Vampire Duke, and a few things happen now.”

Before clarifying what was about to come, Letty pulled the monster in question out from her deck, and causing what was the very stereotypical image of a vampire to appear beside the shadow man. “Not only does Vampire Duke’s effect activate, but so does the effect of the Vampire Grace in my graveyard. Firstly, by paying 2000 Life Points, I can summon Grace back from the graveyard. Let’s do that!” For the third time this turn, Letty’s Life Points went down as a fourth vampire joined the fray, this one dressed in an elegant, but sinister, dress, complete with a crown.

Letty: 7000 > 5000

“Next, Vampire Duke was special summoned, meaning I can declare one card type and force you to send a card of that type from your deck to the graveyard. I’ll be targeting your spell cards.”

“Alright.” Terry nodded, frowning. “I send Generaider Boss Quest to the graveyard, as per your request.” Terry explained, the card ejecting from her duel-disk. “As a quick-effect, I’ll also activate Loptr’s effect; sacrifice yourself, and summon a beast defiant of these trifle-pawns thrown at us!” She explained, the white-robed priest nodding as he gave a bow, and began to disintegrate.

“With his sacrifice, I’ll special summon one generaider from my deck; the god of fire and brimstone, of chaos and war, Naglfar!” She exclaimed, a deep red glow taking hold of one of the sigils, as from an eruption of flames rose a skeletal, beast-like figure; smoke pouring from massive horns that grew from it’s skull. “And I also activ… Actually, no, I don’t. I end my response.” Terry caught herself, eyes narrowing on her opponent’s field.

“Ohhhh, that’s quite a monster,” Letty cheered, eyeing up the fiery beast-man Terry had summoned. “There’s more to that deck than I expected!” This has turned into a difficult situation. Let’s see now… “I’ll set one more card face-down, and work my way around that boss monster. Using Shadow Vampire and Vampire Duke as materials, I’ll perform an xyz summon! Go, Crimson Knight Vampire Bram!” The two monsters in question became a pair of dark orbs, which began orbiting the armor-clad vampire once he made his appearance on the field. “Surely, even with Bram, attacking that Naglfar of yours would be suicide. But, monsters can easily be killed outside of battle.”

“I activate Bram’s effect! By detaching one xyz material, I can special summon a monster from your graveyard. I’ll be borrowing that Loptr you so kindly provided me~” As one of the orbs around Bram shattered, it was replaced by Terry’s monster. “That said, I can only attack with Loptr now. I won’t be doing that, of course. I have a much better idea.”

“Oh?” Terry cocked an eyebrow, watching. “Turning one of my own men against me, hoping that a turncoat could turn the tide of battle…? Heroes of justice are getting devious these days.” Terry frowned, watching her opponent carefully.

“You’re mistaken, I’m afraid. ‘Hero of justice’ is a title I certainly don’t fit. In any case, if I control a monster owned by my opponent, I can treat it as a level six monster for the purpose of a certain xyz summon. Before that, however, lest I forget, I’ll be activating Vampire Grace’s effect, to send another spell card from your deck to the graveyard. And then, using her and your Loptr, I xyz summon!” After the card in question had been ejected from Terry’s deck, similar to what had just happened, a pair of orbs were formed from the monsters Letty used as materials. Unlike the vampires so far, Loptr’s orb was red. “Come forth, Dhampir Vampire Sheridan!”

“Now, this fellow has two effects. But we’ll only focus on the first one. By detaching Vampire Grace, I’ll be able to target a send to the graveyard, one card you control. As fascinating as that Naglfar is, I’m afraid it has to go.”

“I see.” Terry frowned, the flames on Naglfar extinguishing themselves as his card was moved to the graveyard, a torrent of blood removing any flames that still persisted from his soon-to-be lifeless body. “If you’re no hero of justice, then I can't afford to take too much time here... That being said, I have to ask a question before we continue. Is your new XYZ monster subject to the same inability to attack the rest of your monsters are, due to your Bram’s ability?” She paused. “I’m not sure about the interaction myself, so…” 

“It is, unfortunately. And so, I must end my turn.”

“Okay then.” Terry nodded, drawing her card. Scanning over her opponent’s field, she couldn’t help but frown as she saw the vast disparity in their fields; before shaking her head. “Alright. Well, this may not be up to your lofty standards, but a good boss knows when to pull their punches, and when to time their phases; so I’ll simply place another card face-down, and end my turn.” She explained, placing another card in her spell and trap zone.

Edited by Feral Pistol

Coach Clara didn’t say anything immediately, which was bad, but worse than that was that she didn’t seem like she was going to say anything ever. Nobody else, not even Hana(!) seemed to really want to say anything to him.

Well, not everyone. Terry did say, “You did good, okay?” which was barely encouraging, especially when it was followed with “And you’ll get ‘em next time after your next training montage,” like, what? It wasn’t like he could ask for clarification either -- Terry was next in line to duel and her opponent was already demanding her attention.

“I need to take a walk.” Peter was still pretty quiet when he said it, but at least Coach Clara could hear him now. At least, she probably could, he thought. He turned around and went over for his bag, and pulled out his headphones.

The voice of his dad in his head was against the idea. “You should at least be there to support your teammates, Pete,” it said. “You’d want them to be there watching you, right?” And, okay, yeah, fair enough, but also, dueling with people watching was one of the reasons he felt so out of sorts… maybe? He wasn’t really sure, but it felt like a reason.

God, was this what being a teenager was like? He had to go through five more years of stuff like this? Still, he put his headphones back in his bag. He wasn’t going for a walk, but the feeling he got still needed addressing.

He looked back up and saw Hana arguing with Coach Clara about something -- Hana had just exclaimed “There’s rules?!” in a way that required more interrobangs than Peter was willing to think about. He made his way for the door, going behind everyone not because he was sneaking out but to keep out of everyone’s way. He even said, “I have to- I’m going to look for the restroom,” as he made his way out.

His dad still made him feel bad for leaving Terry, so at the door, Peter said, “I’ll be right back.” Hopefully, he thought, he could at least follow through on that promise.

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

One Duel finished, another began...but the Duel prior, David actually was quite stunned. At the same time, Peter seemed to need this simple kick in the pants. How come? In David's mind, the prodigy needed to remember his place in the world. Whether his parents were Pro Duelists or not, that had nothing on his own skill and Dueling Styles. It was something he figured was what the young teammate had in his mind...nevertheless, it was something he had to figure out on his own.

Then again...David could've been way off and he was just thinking absolute crap about his teammate and he was perfectly fine, who truly knows.

Nevertheless, the Red-Eyes and Blue-Eyes bout was simply something he hadn't expected, but at the same time...it made sense. The combinations and skills that were shown from the Red-Eyes Duelist were a bit more of a higher level than Peter's, least in his opinion. It all came down to who didn't make a mistake in their plays and who kept their cool...in the end, it just wasn't Peter. He did, however, choose not to say anything to the young man...obviously due to the fact that the guy's pride already took a beating out there, no need to try and sugarcoat that.

Then there was the Duel currently at hand...

Generaiders versus Vampires...Vampires of all things. That's an interesting idea...though out of everything so far, I think the Melffy actually was a legit interesting thing that occurred. David thought, rubbing his chin as he watched the Duel intently.

"...downside to the Vampires is Bram's ability. If that didn't hinder the monsters, Terry's opponent would have no problems mounting an assault on her Life Points." David commented, adjusting his glasses some. "That said, Terry is also in a position where she can't do much...at all." The face-down and immediate ending of her turn was what he based that comment on. "...a bit worried she'll lose."

“Just a lonesome face-down card?” As she drew her next card, Letty sighed “How disappointing.” Surveying the field, Letty decided she was content with the state of the board. She had two monsters, and Terry had none. A fine opportunity to stop wasting her life points and go on the offensive. “I’ll start this turn off by… going straight to my Battle Phase! I attack directly with Bram!”

“Not so fast.” Terry interjects, the holograms freezing as flipped one of her face-down cards up. “I play Generaider Boss Fight. This card allows me to play a field-spell from my deck,” she explains, another copy of Generaider Boss Stage being ejected from her deck to her hand. “In doing so, I’ll send my current Generaider Boss Stage to the graveyard, to replace it with this one, which seems pointless on it’s own…” She paused, smiling. “But I’ll use Generaider Boss Fight’s other effect to make you draw a card, activating Boss Stage in the process, and allowing me to summon a Generaider Boss in defense position; along with tokens to bolster my forces!” She announced, the blue sigil in the center of the room beginning to spin faster and faster as she gave a quick nod.

“Generaider Goddess of Steel and War, Anguish and pain! Knight of destruction, and lady of steel! Come forth, Frodi, Generaider Boss of Swords, flanked by your armies!” Terry announced, as a heavenly set of golden and white armour descended from a dark cloud above, the goddess’ sword held in a defensive posture as two tokens descended on either side of her, winged halos surrounded by glistening light. “Now, activate your effect! Sacrifice the humanity of our forces, an amount equal to theirs, to destroy my opponent’s pitiful vampires!” Terry grinned, as the Goddess raised her sword, pointing towards the enemy, and the tokens began to glow even brighter.

“Oh my!” As Terry’s tokens and Letty’s monsters were wiped off the board, she couldn’t help but applaud her opponent’s sudden comeback. “Now that’s what I call rising to the occasion! As expected of a final boss! With my poor monsters utterly destroyed, I have no choice but to conclude my turn. But, you shouldn’t think I’m wide open. During your standby phase, Bram will return to the field. I’ll be putting him in defense position.”

“I know.” Terry nodded, taking in a deep breath as she drew her next card. Cocking an eyebrow, she quickly scanned over the field and her hand, eyes glancing over both nigh-constantly. “...Check-Mate.” She nodded, a small smile creeping to her face. “First, I play Dark World Dealings, forcing us both to draw a card, and then discard a card,” she paused, throwing a card dramatically to the wind (or rather, her discard pile), as she drew another. “In doing so, I’ll trigger and activate my field-spell, allowing me to summon a Generaider from my deck. Come: Forge-God of Iron and all things that reside within the mountain-home, Dovelgus!” She announced dramatically, as the card was ejected from her deck, onto the field.

The holographic sigil spun rapidly, before a silver orb was produced, and a mechanical suit of twisted metal came forth, bright electricity sparking from it’s visible joints as it’s heavy feet came crashing down alongside Frodi. “I’ll then use my normal summon to bring forth the prophet of disaster once more, the cunning Loptr returning to us to once again herald disaster.” Terry explained, playing a card from her hand, eyes narrowing on her opponent. “I’ll then move Frodi to attack-position, and… Activate Loptr’s effect.” She paused, glancing between her monsters.

“I sacrifice Dovelgus this time, rather than Loptr, to call forth a God so terrifying,” Terry paused, coughing. “That they had to change his name, for some horrendous reason,” she murmured, to no one in particular. “That the storms themselves quake within his mantle! Harr, Generaider Boss of Thunder and Sound, of that which annihilates all, in attack position!” She exclaimed, as Loptr briefly produced a dagger, plunging it into Dovelgus as naturally as he breathed.

From the mana and dust produced from Dovelgus’ wound, rose a dark figure, made of shadow that coalesced slowly into the form of a man, large staff in his hand, as dark cloud rose overhead. Staring down her opponent, Terry cleared her throat, and gave a quick nod to her monsters, as she pointed towards her opponent. “As we enter the battle-phase, I would like to ask Loptr to dispatch Bram, and for Frodi and Harr to finish off the vampiric queen that stands before us!” Terry announced grandly, as her monsters swung into action, each taking a definitive form as their attacks swung forth.

Peter wasn’t crying -- he wasn’t crying -- he’d just washed his face a bit.

Ocean’s Coast’s bathrooms were significantly nicer than any of the bathrooms at Horizon, how was that fair? Of course, Peter had only seen, like, half of Horizon’s bathrooms and only one Ocean’s Coast, so the sample size was a little off, but still. It was cleaner, it had better lighting, and, perhaps most importantly, the urinals had dividers between them so you could feel more justified breaking the standard alternating pattern most bathroom-goers just seemed to do. Briefly, Peter wondered if this was indicative of the dedication of schools’ respective custodial staff, or if it just meant that nobody at Ocean’s Coast ever peed.

But that thought came just before the real consternation began, and the fact that it had distracted him at all just made him feel worse. This was supposed to be a big deal, wasn’t it? Losing like that? At the same time, hadn’t it been drilled into his head that losing, while never really forgivable, was going to happen? He could already hear his parents being like, “Okay, now what did you learn from it?”

What had he learned from it? Well, that Chaos MAX dragon wasn’t the end-all-be-all, apparently, and that he couldn’t rely on it to bail him out every single duel, but he knew that already. Really, that was the problem, everything he was thinking he could learn from this experience he had already been taught. But if he didn’t learn something, then the whole experience would be for naught, right?

The worst part was, that whole thought cul-de-sac wasn’t even the reason he was upset (not crying, just upset). It certainly contributed, to the overall mood, sure, but the real reason, when he really thought about it, was that he lost. It was stupid and he was thirteen and older than all this now, but it still hurt.

It hurt to let everyone down like that, for one. It hurt to have a public debut and go down in such an embarrassing fashion. And yeah, the fact that he was supposed to just get over it hurt too. He was certainly going to lose more games in the future, even ones against other schools, were those going to hurt just as much?

A few deep breaths calmed him down for the moment, at least. Peter felt uncomfortable leaving the restroom with more questions than he’d come in (and with fewer and fewer answers, too), but he was getting nowhere fast. At the very least, he could recognize when he was beat on that front. The moment he left the restroom, that was the time to leave such questions to the unknowable abyss and forget all about it. He was Peter Wilson the third. He had an image to keep.

The walk back was a bit trepidatious -- Peter kept imagining someone turning the corner and recognizing him while he still hadn’t entirely sobered up -- but he managed to retrace his steps just fine, returning to the gymnasium trying to cause as little fanfare as possible. He took a quick detour to grab a granola bar before joining the other Horizon spectators. “Back,” he said. “How’re we looking?”

“As we enter the battle-phase, I would like to ask Loptr to dispatch Bram, and for Frodi and Harr to finish off the vampiric queen that stands before us!”

This... certainly turned around quickly. What a shame. As the pair of Terry's monsters unleashed their attacks, Letty looked over her face-down cards. Nothing that could really do anything in these circumstances. With the hefty sum of life points she'd thrown away herself, combined with these two sizable monsters now attacking directly, this duel was as good as done. And when the dust had settled, there she was, applauding her crushing defeat.

"That's how a final boss ought to be! Swift, brutal, and relentless! Crushing her enemies like bugs under her heel! Though if it were me, I'd probably leave them to squirm and struggle a bit longer." Had she done that from a winning position in this duel though, in this matchup, it probably would cost her the game. Returning her cards to her deck, Letty reviewed her own performance next. "And I should probably not be so reckless spending my life points. But where's the fun in that?"

Ah well. Take risks like that, and one is bound to either win big or lose big. This was someone with whom Letty would like to have a rematch sometime. As she made her way back to her own duel team, she began reviewing in her head what she knew about Terry's deck. Next time, she'd have a strategy ready to go.

Hana was distracted from her own question by Peter's sudden departure. She nodded sagely to herself and said "I see, I see, he lost because he had to pee really badly." She looked over by David and told him "This is why you always make sure you go to the bathroom BEFORE a duel, take notes!"

She felt pretty good about her moment of upper-classman-ship. So she decided to actually pay attention to what was going on with the duel.

Though she didn't really get what was happening. There were some assortment of cards on the field and, because she hadn't been listening, she didn't know what most of them actually did. Thankfully, as if the world itself decided to be merciful on her and not force her to think to hard, it looked like the duel was coming to an end.

Which was when Peter returned from his trip. “How’re we looking?”

"Well, Coach looks annoyed, David looks serious, you look like you still have to use the bathroom, I don't have a mirror....Oh and I think the duel is about to be over!"

She gestured towards the wrapping up duel. "I guess she won? At least I think so. She attacked and then it ended that's how it works right?"

She then hopped up and down to wave towards Terry. "You did it! I think. Good job! Probably. Woo!" Then, motioning for Peter and David to join her. "Come on, cheer with me!"

Clara watched the duel as silently as she had all the others, not bothering to comment as David made his own about how stuck Terry seemed to be. She didn't say anything either when Peter had left, though she did cast a slightly annoyed glance at the door as he made his way out. All the same, the duel continued to play out and in the end, Terry seemed to clear her opponent's board and get ready for her final strike. As she did, Peter came back just in time asking how things were going. "Look," Clara nodded towards the duel, seeing that it had come to its close as Terry's attacks had managed to go through. With the duel having concluded, Clara nodded at Hana saying, "yep. She won. Which means." 

The coach of Ocean's Coast sighed saying, "I suppose so. Well, with a score of three to one, Horizon Academy wins this practice duel. Everyone, line up." 

For once, Clara's ever present neutral expression broke into a smirk as she seemed to be quite pleased with the result, saying, "alright everyone you heard the man line up and shake hands!" 

With that, everyone got up and walked over to their opposing opponents, each of them offering to shake hands again. 

Leila walked up to Makoto. "Your monsters were super big and awesome. Playing with you was fun Makoto. It's too bad we don't live closer to each other." Leila seemed to mull on this problem. 

Laurie walked up to to Peter. "You're schools got a few uh, lively ones for sure. I'd say I don't envy you but," the girl looked over to some of her own classmates before saying, "well, hang in there. Oh," her expression brightened as she said, "and can't wait to see you in the fall tournament." 

Luan walked over to Hana. "We didn't duel, but it's no fun to be the odd ones left out right? You're quite an interesting gal though, so it was a pleasure meeting you Hana." 

Once all those conversations were taken care of, Clara clapped her hands together to call everyone back. Nodding over to Sarah, who had been silently filming the duel this entire, the girl then started to pack up her own things and get ready to leave. Clara looked over to the others saying, "well, we won today. So good job kids. But!" Her smirk went back to her usually aggressive expression as she said, "don't be content with what you showed off today. You've all got a lot to work on and some of you I'd say lucked out more than others. Even you Hana. So, I'll be sure to go over what each of you did and where to improve tomorrow. Or tonight if you want to stay after school." The woman then paused, waiting for her comments to sick in before clearing her throat. "But for now, as part of Horizon tradition, let's go get something to eat." 

The end of the duel felt anticlimactic, but Peter rationalized that by him just not being there until the very end, only able to watch the monsters lumber tromp across the battlefield in the final seconds. Hana made a joke deliberately misunderstanding Peter’s question that wasn’t very funny which also probably helped kill the mood a little bit, even if she immediately tried to bring it back up again with a cheer. He did clap politely, though.

“Alright, everyone line up and shake hands,” Coach Clara said.

While it made sense why exactly Peter was the one shaking hands with Ocean’s Coast’s captain, it didn’t mean he didn’t feel weird about it. lt felt like it was supposed to be a captain-to-captain thing, especially when Laurie started commenting on the rest of the team. He was just a first year! He’d only known most of these people for, like, a few weeks. Still, he couldn’t help but nod along at her comments. “Yeah, no, I agree,” he said. “Bunch of oddballs they are.” Wait, that was probably a bit too rude. “We are,” he corrected as the handshake finished.

But then Laurie made a passing comment about the fall tournament, and it sounded to Peter like she was pretty confident that she would have the same success as she had that day. It felt like she was taunting him, and the only reason he didn’t tighten his grip on Laurie’s hand was that he had already taken his hand away. He had to settle for balling his hands into fists. “Can’t wait,” he repeated back to her before turning away to join the rest of the team with his coach.

Coach Clara’s promise of food was an enticing one, though it was also brought down significantly by the attached caveat of going over plays. He didn’t need to be reminded that, though they went three-one, he was that one, and the lion’s share of the focus was doomed to fall on him. Hadn’t he just gone over this in the bathroom?

Maybe tomorrow, Peter thought, he would be in a better mood. Probably not, but one could hope. He grabbed his bag, pulled out his headphones, and trundled off with the rest back to the bus.

“...Got it, got it- I did it!” Terry grinned. Sure, it wasn’t fancy, it wasn’t exciting, but… A final boss didn’t always have to be exciting, did they? No, of course not, they only needed to win. Sometimes they had to flick someone to the side, a side character stomped to show the true power of the final boss. Jobbing was a bit of a run-down trope, but it was true even in life, especially for a boss as magnificent as she, Terry mused. “Good Game!” She shouted as the duel ended, waving to Letty, before Clara reminded them to shake hands.

“A-Ah, right!” Terry nodded, tucking her deck away as she lined up, smiling brightly at Letty. “That was such a fun duel, I don’t get to clash with another darkened mind very often,” Terry exclaimed, holding her hand out. “W-we definitely have to do that again! We need to trade strategies sometime so that we can keep our own respective chaotic lights shine darker than ever before, illuminating all in the black light of our dominions!” She exclaimed, practically vibrating, even as she stumbled over her words.

----

“Ah, right,” Lily nodded, lining up with the rest of her team. Moving a hand to scratch the back of her neck, she couldn’t help but let out a small sigh. “...Good game, man,” she paused, locking eyes with her opponent as she held out a hand for the time-based duelist. “We’ll have to duel again, since our duels mirror each other ‘nd all...” She explained, trailing off. “...And, it was pretty fun, I guess.” She smirked.

----

It was only after Clara clapped that Terry had managed to pull herself away from her own maddened rambles, should Letty have allowed her to go off. Quickly turning on her heels, the smallest final boss ran back to meet up with the group, her demeanor shifting considerably as she raised her scarf up a bit to smother her mouth. She wasn’t even fully sure why; perhaps it was to hide her smile, or to hide the exact moment her smile turned to a frown, even if she winced. She knew she had room to improve, but to have it brought up so quickly after a win, really spoiled the mood.

“Right, right,” Terry swallowed, murmuring under her breath. Even a Final Boss had to constantly be vigilant for their mistakes, so if the coach had anything she could improve on, she had to hear it. “I-... I’m, um, down to go over duels today if the rest of you are?” She asked, voice shaking as she glanced back at the others. “A-After food, of course!” Terry quickly paused up, everything Clara had said finally sinking in. “I just thought, y’know, we’ve gotta get as much practice in as we can before the tournament, y’know?”

“A-Ah, right! That was such a fun duel, I don’t get to clash with another darkened mind very often.”

"The pleasure was mine. Seems I still have a lot to learn." Letty took her opponent's hand, and gave a good, firm shake.

“W-we definitely have to do that again! We need to trade strategies sometime so that we can keep our own respective chaotic lights shine darker than ever before, illuminating all in the black light of our dominions!”

"By all means! Just remember, little final boss, that I'll be the one doing the crushing next time~"

makoto.png

What a finish! Terry seemed so stuck and then bam, she wasn't! And then smick-smack boom, the duel was over! All things considered, it didn't last very long, though the rapid swings in momentum sure made it seem longer than it was. Which meant the score was something like...

"I suppose so. Well, with a score of three to one, Horizon Academy wins this practice duel. Everyone, line up." 

"Alright everyone you heard the man line up and shake hands!"

Honestly, Makoto didn't even know there was supposed to be some sort of contest between the two schools for this practice duel. Though it made sense, looking back at it. They were different schools, after all. As told by the coaches, Makoto, and everyone else for that matter, got in line and shared one big handshake between school teams. She couldn't wait for the rematch! There was gonna be a rematch someday, right?

As Makoto shook Leila's hand, her assigned opponent for this gig praised her choice in deck.

"Your monsters were super big and awesome. Playing with you was fun Makoto. It's too bad we don't live closer to each other."

"It was fun," Makoto agreed. "Maybe we'll stumble into each other sometime!"

The bus ride back gave Makoto time to think about all the duels. There was probably something to be learned from them. She wasn't really sure what, but something. Luckily, it seemed Coach Clara had her covered.

"Well, we won today. So good job kids. But! Don't be content with what you showed off today. You've all got a lot to work on and some of you I'd say lucked out more than others. Even you Hana. So, I'll be sure to go over what each of you did and where to improve tomorrow. Or tonight if you want to stay after school. But for now, as part of Horizon tradition, let's go get something to eat."

“I-... I’m, um, down to go over duels today if the rest of you are? A-After food, of course! I just thought, y’know, we’ve gotta get as much practice in as we can before the tournament, y’know?”

"I'll stay!" Makoto volunteered. The sooner she knew this stuff, the sooner she could work around whatever flaws she was showing! But before that, food! Makoto turned in her seat, to face Hana and address her. "You know any good food places round here? A fish place with the Hana seal of approval sounds like a good place to stop by since we won! Isn't that right, coach?"

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

“We should strive to welcome change and challenges, because they are what help us grow."

“Alright, everyone line up and shake hands.”

David did as instructed, as it appeared that Horizon won the match, which did seem to put a bit more of a pep in his step (I mean, who doesn't like to win?). Once the two school teams lined up, he faced his opponent Lily, who was already scratching the back of her neck. David did know this for a fact: She's an odd one...but quite the interesting one at the same time.

“...Good game, man. We’ll have to duel again, since our duels mirror each other ‘nd all...And, it was pretty fun, I guess.”

The young man adjusted his glasses slightly, and extended his own hand towards Lily's. "It was a good game indeed. I'll definitely look forward to Dueling you and your Melfys again someday." he said happily, a smile appearing on his face. Once the conversation, David simply gave a wave to Lily before returning to Coach Clara, who was pretty much summoning them to her.

"Well, we won today. So good job kids. But! Don't be content with what you showed off today. You've all got a lot to work on and some of you I'd say lucked out more than others. Even you Hana. So, I'll be sure to go over what each of you did and where to improve tomorrow. Or tonight if you want to stay after school. But for now, as part of Horizon tradition, let's go get something to eat."

Lucked out? David felt like this was a bit of an insult on his part. He was in control of his Duel from the start, even ended it with 6000 LP. He honestly felt like he did more than just what he usually would've for this deck, doing his best to take the co-captain's words and suggestions to heart. It was definitely some growth...but what else could he have done better? It was puzzling him, but at the same time, all that mattered was that he won and against a pretty mirror matched Duel to say the least.

It was a victory for David. That was enough for him.

In the end no one cheered with Hana. So Hana decided that the best decision was just to cheer twice as loud. Which didn't really get noticed much either as the coaches were talking all serious business. Something about sportsmanship probably.

"alright everyone you heard the man line up and shake hands!" 

Hana hadn't heard the man. She had been thinking about her cheering and how she could get others to cheer better. As well as her stomach grumbling a bit. However she did hear her own coach telling them all to line up. Hana looked at her blankly for a moment before getting in line as well and shaking hands with the air as she didn't have an opponent to do it with.

However one of the boys did end up walking up to her. "We didn't duel, but it's no fun to be the odd ones left out right? You're quite an interesting gal though, so it was a pleasure meeting you Hana." 

"I dunno, being the odd one is pretty fun for me!" She then proceeded to shake the boy's hand vigorously for perhaps a bit too long. "Nice to meet you too, guy!" She said with a bright smile.

Luan laughed at her comment, rolling his shoulder when she finally let go. “Well then let’s see who’s odder next time.”

"Ahh, a good old fashioned odd-off, at high noon!" Hana said in a bad cowboy impression. Getting a salute in return.

---

She wasn't really paying attention to what the coach said, thinking it didn't have much to do with her, but then she heard her name being said and perked up. Looking around hectically she tried to figure out what was being talked about. And then she heard the coach mention food.

"Ooooh I heard my name, and eat, is someone trying to feed me?"

Clara looks at Hana, staring at her for a few moments before finally saying, “sure.”

Hana pumped her fist in the air and shouted out "Yay, I love you coach!"

“Uh, thanks, I guess?” Clara cleared her throat before saying “so are we good here?”

"No, silly, we need to go to where the food is so we're not good here at all!"