Skaia

Yu-Gi-Oh! Horizon [IC/Not Accepting/PG-16]

Clara let out a sigh at Hana's comment once again saying, "right, alright. Let's get going kiddos." With their goodbyes having been said to the other team, the  team went back to their bus and shipped off back to Horizon Academy. On the way there, they stopped at a nearby fast food restaurant. The place wasn't particularly special, but Clara seemed to have some weird insistence that stopping at a place like this  after a meet was important - if not downright critical - to the success of the team. All in all, it was a fairly relaxed trip and the group then went back to the school afterwards. The coach was glad to see that even though it was late, most of the team was still willing to stay after to be critiqued. Though she couldn't help but look a bit annoyed as Peter seemed to opt out. The meeting didn't last long regardless, and most of the advice boiled down to being aware of what their opponent could do as well as trying to think of a fall back plan if the initial idea was disrupted. 

The next day had rolled around and Clara had spent her time supervising the practice as normal. Simply telling everyone to freely duel each other, she started the day off without giving any advice and then later started to give more pointed criticism towards the team members in the middle of their duels. Specifically for Peter, the woman would interject every other time he entered his battle phase. Rather than actually giving him any specific advice, though, she would simply wait for 10 seconds before telling him to continue on. 

All and all, practice was going by fairly well before Clara interrupted their practice with an announcement. "Right, I figured I'd tell you guys to keep things free for next week. I got us another meet against a school, one that's a lot farther away and a lot more of a challenge the Ocean's Coast. Kashano High." Those who knew much about the high school scene of Duel Monsters would know that Kashano was in a different prefecture then them entirely, and that they were a school that seemed to either make it to the finals of their prefectural tournament, or place well in the nationals. Last year they had made it to the top eight, and though the majority of their starting roster had graduated recent news had still generated hype and high expectations around their prospects for this year. After saying the name, Clara seemed to pause, both for dramatic effect and seeming to have some odd sense of dread looming over her, if only for a moment. Shaking her head, she said, "anyway, be sure to make it. Especially because our roster is much just big enough to play in an official match. With both of our captains gone you guys are going to need to step it up too." 

"Beep boop bam bom!" The door to the gym opened as Clara finished, with the enthusiastic looking Miss Breiner, mimicking an announcement speaker, walking in. "Don't worry about your members Clara, because I have good news for you. You're getting a new one today."

Confused and dumbfounded at the suddenness of this, Clara blinked for a few moments before asking, "were you just...waiting out there?" 

Breiner's expression didn't seem to change at all, and she simply continued, "well, I say new member. But it's more a returning member. She was on the roster last year and I think the seniors last year were even thinking of making her the captain too." 

Raising an eyebrow, Clara asked, "why am I just hearing about this now then?" 

"Well, see, she got into an accident and broke her arm before the start of the spring tournament last year. And then she got into a fight on the first day of school and was suspended. What a misfortunate girl. Charlie and Avi probably just  thought she quit and Hana," Miss Breiner looked over to the girl, simply smiling at her. "Well, she's back now, so be sure to be nice to her everyone. Because she's here. Right now. Come on in Koharu!" 

Slowly, the other door of the gym's double doors creaked open, until a young girl roughly as old as Hana walked in. The girl looked around the room curiously for a bit, before giving a smile to everyone a wave in greeting. Silence then followed for a moment, before Miss Breiner spoke up again. "Well, I  have to be going back to my own club now, have fun and good luck duel team!" 

As the Digital Media Teacher left, Koharu watched her leave and then stood at the door. She looked around at everyone, and more specifically at their duel disks and decks, before walking further in. "Uh...hello there...Koharu, was it?" Clara wasn't sure what to make of the suddenness of everything that just happened, and Koharu herself looked to the coach and nodded. The woman sighed and said, "well, that solves one issue. I guess." 

The trip to the fast food restaurant went well. If you don't count the minor incident where Hana tired to order one of everything on the menu. She was eventually talked down to a fraction of the order but the look on the worker's faces was not something easily forgotten.

Either way Hana was happy and content as the coach told them something about the card game or whatever. She wondered where Peter had run off too but decided he must have found something more fun to do. She tried to keep it in her head to ask him what adventure he went on after he left. Maybe she could find it first and they could both talk about it later instead!

In the end Hana forgot about it and instead spent the rest of the night trying to remember where the flatbed cart she was now storing in her room had come from.

"Kashano. Kashashashano. Kashaaano. Shakano. Shakanaka...Cashew?" Hana's response to the announcement didn't have the intended effect but it was unlikely her rambling would go noticed. Especially since the coach mentioned them not having captains anymore.

She looked around in surprise before announcing "Whoa! Where did they go?" And began to peek under chairs looking for where they might have been hiding.

"Charlie and Avi probably just  thought she quit and Hana,"

This was the point Hana came back to the present conversation. Poking her head from under a chair she waved at the teacher "That's my name, hello!"

She stayed on her hands and knees but looking upwards as the adults talked back and forth a bit. When Hana saw the girl walk in she leaped to her feet. She pointed at her and shouted out "Battle Girl!" and rushed to her. She jumped and threw her arms around the girl. "I thought you vanished! Look, I found the club by myself this time!"

Koharu gave a small sigh and smile as Hana hugged her. She reached up and pat her on the head. Giving her a thumbs up at her comment and a nod she looked to everyone else. Gesturing to them and then the supposed coach, she'll look questioningly at Hana.

"Those are the new fish! I guess they're the only ones now. I dunno where the others are hiding. Oh oh and that's our coach! I don't know what she does but she tells us to do things and we do it."

Koharu looked over to Clara, giving an eyebrow and then back towards the door. Shrugging, she then pulled Hana off from her, looking back at the others and then back towards Hana.  Looking at the door again, a bit annoyed, she simply let out a sigh before gesturing towards the others once more. Then, pointing more at the duel disks that the students were wearing, she looked back to Hana as if posing another query.

Hana nodded enthusiastically. "I know, right? Maybe Avi got caught up playing online. Those games are dangerous!" She looked at the rest and tilted her head. "They're fun! That girl makes puns and that one is an evil overlord or something!" She pointed at Makoto and Terry respectably. "Wait...you mean uh...dueling right? I....don't....remember...Oh, Terry beat me though I remember that!"

At Hana's explanations of the others, Koharu's expression dropped, becoming more confused and her eyebrow raised. Then, putting her face in her palm, the girl let her hand slide down before shaking her head. Then, pointing towards Clara, the captain then looked towards the other members of the duel team, pointing at them.

Hana turned towards the others and announced. "Well, you heard her, Captain Koharu is taking over from here!" She then gave the girl a bright smile. "Welcome back!"

Peter hadn’t been expecting his parents to call outside of their weekly check-ins but he answered the phone just the same, and, as always, found himself pacing back and forth outside the duel team door as they yammered on. Apparently, they were travelling soon, going on a bit of a tour or whatever, and figured they’d move things up a little bit. “Anyway, we know it’s only been a little bit since our last call, but has anything interesting happened in the meantime?”

“We had a practice match, actually,” Peter said. “Ocean’s Coast, the school across town, they challenged us.”

“You know, we almost sent you there instead of Horizon,” his dad said. “They’re a pretty good school. Did you get to play?”

It was a dangerous game Peter was playing with his parents here, and he knew it, but he continued. “I think we all got to play, actually. Wait, actually I don’t think our captain did. I ended up playing their captain.”

“And?”

Peter took a deep breath. “I won.”

“Really?” The word caused Peter to flinch. His parents had said it in unison, after all, giving it extra emphasis, but he realized it was not out of disbelief of his lie, but in excitement. “Oh, Peter, that’s great!”, “Good job”, and other variations followed for what was probably a good half a minute. The praise felt hollow, obviously, but it was certainly a better feeling than whatever lecture he would have gotten had he been upfront about it. He’d already done most of that in his head, right?

Coach Clara, apparently, had finally come up with her lecture, though, or her punishment drills or whatever. It was certainly frustrating, whatever it was. He didn’t even think his problems stemmed from the battle phase! If he wasn’t blaming Laurie’s luck -- and, to be clear, he wasn’t (most of the time) -- he would have put it on his play during the main phase. But the whistles kept coming, only ceasing when Miss Breiner barged into the room.

A new addition -- a new captain, even -- was certainly interesting. Peter wondered if they were all supposed to be gathering in a circle and introducing themselves again. Hana led the charge on that front, doing things in the way only Hana could. She even seemed to understand Koharu’s sign language, which was helpful. “You heard her, Captain Koharu is taking over from here!” Hana said.

Well, that kind of undercut Peter’s, like, one single high-school win he’d gotten. If Charlie wasn’t a captain anymore, even his misplayed mess of a game was less glamorous. Some part of him was fired up to prove himself again, so there was that, but also, like, it felt like the universe was conspiring against him. The conflict got him frozen up, and in the end, all he could do was introduce himself. “Uh, Hana said, ‘new fish’ which I guess is me. I’m Peter Wilson,” he said.

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

The food meet was...for lack of a better word, definitely needed. After their win against Ocean's Coast, a victory for certain, a reward was just what the doctor ordered. Not only this, while David didn't agree with Coach Clara saying that they "lucked out", especially since he had his in the pocket the entire game, he couldn't help but see this as a time of learning...especially what worked and didn't work.

This was definitely a win/win for him: food and critiques on Dueling...didn't get much better than that.

"We need to constantly be challenging ourselves in order to strengthen our character and increase our intelligence."

"Right, I figured I'd tell you guys to keep things free for next week. I got us another meet against a school, one that's a lot farther away and a lot more of a challenge the Ocean's Coast. Kashano High. Anyway, be sure to make it. Especially because our roster is much just big enough to play in an official match. With both of our captains gone you guys are going to need to step it up too."

Kashano High...the name of that place leaving Coach Clara's lips made David tense up and pay closer attention than he had already been, now lowering his book for a moment. That school was in a different prefecture, sure...but they were renown nonetheless. They made it to Top Eight last year...regardless of if their team members graduated or not...this makes for a hurdle to get over...I suppose Coach isn't playing around this time. he thought, adjusting his glasses slightly.

However, her last comment did put a sour note in this whole thing: both Avi and Charlie being gone. He understood Charlie's reasoning of working a job and being a bit busy, but what exactly was Avi's reason? It was baffling to him. Nevertheless, this posed a problem for the crew: they were sort of without a captain. And it wasn't like one was going to just waltz right in through the do-...

"well, I say new member. But it's more a returning member. She was on the roster last year and I think the seniors last year were even thinking of making her the captain too." "why am I just hearing about this now then?"
"Well, see, she got into an accident and broke her arm before the start of the spring tournament last year. And then she got into a fight on the first day of school and was suspended. What a misfortunate girl. Charlie and Avi probably just  thought she quit and Hana. Well, she's back now, so be sure to be nice to her everyone. Because she's here. Right now. Come on in Koharu!"

"...." David sat there in almost disbelief at this sudden fate stricken event that seemed to just take place. However, he quickly brushed that feeling aside, as he simply continued watching things unfold. ...he did have to admit one thing though...she was quite an attractive young lady. Though her methods of communicating...or...lack there of...somewhat worried the young man.

"Well, you heard her, Captain Koharu is taking over from here! Welcome back!"

David kept silent as the prodigy gave his introduction to Koharu, because of course he went first for introductions. "New fish would technically be all of us, Peter." he said quickly, adjusting his glasses slightly before looking at Koharu. "David Kripaldi, a pleasure."

Koharu nodded as her fellow teammates introduced themselves, looking them up and down once more. Then, gesturing for everyone to gather around, she looked towards the coach. Then pointing to herself and then everyone else, she seemed to be indicating something to the coach. After a moment, with her eyebrow raised, the woman asked, "you want to duel them?" Koharu nodded. "Well, I have to see what you're made of anyway, so, go on. Show me what you got." At that moment Koharu looked to the rest of the students, a sweet smile on her face that soon switched into a much more predatory one. 

The rest of practice had gone on without a hitch. Whoever had decided to duel Koharu would fine that the girl was in no shortage of skill or pride, but definitely in need of humility. She had soundly beat her first challenger and anyone else who had decided to step up to the plate afterwards. And despite the fact that she never said any words, the smug expression on her face and how she conducted herself was more than enough to show that she wasn't the most graceful in victory either. The girl herself was quite pleased with how she had handled the duels, feeling like she had barely missed a beat in spite of her long hiatus. 

Despite seeming to enjoy what was likely less than enjoyable for her opponents, the girl didn't seem to do any gloating beyond her initial victory. In fact, once she had no more challengers, she instead hovered around everyone else who was practicing. Often times, she would simply look over someone's shoulder and stare, and if prompted to say anything just point at a card in their hand. Of course, as she didn't say anything, how they interpreted her advice was entirely on them. 

Once practice was over, Clara clapped her hands saying, "well, good work today guys. If you have any questions feel free to stay and ask, but we're done today." Clara went to pack her own things up, only for Koharu to then look at everyone else. 

She gave a short round of applause, then seemed to think for a bit before nodding. Wagging her finger at them for a moment, as if somehow chastising them, the girl then shrugged and gave them a thumbs up. The girl then brought her hand to her chest, before gesturing to everyone else. Pointing to the exit and waving her hand as if gesturing beyond it, the girl then gestured for everyone to follow her. Though this was probably gibberish to most, it was at least abundantly clear to Hana that the girl wanted to leave campus and go hang out around town. 

Hana hadn't expected that Koharu's first order of business would be to duel all of them. Though really she supposed she should have expected it. That was kind of her thing, right? Thankfully for Hana she managed to not get caught up in the tidal wave of duels. So she had more time to snack on the popcorn that she had stored in plastic bags under a few of the chairs. It was fun to see Koharu so energetic and talkative! Hana realized its been quite some time since she last saw her.

Which is why when everything was said and done and Koharu told them all she wanted to hang out she jumped at the chance. Literally in that she dove at her and grabbed onto the girl. "Sure, let's go hang out! I'm sure we can find something fun to do in the city! I found a cart there and took it on the subway!"

Koharu, largely ignoring the girl's glomp, cocked her head to the side with a confused expression on her face. Then after a second simply waved the comment off and then gestured to the door. The girl then mimed a baseball swing, eating something, and then put her hand to her forehead as if looking to the horizon. She punctuated all of this with a shrug.

"Anything? That's a lot...Well then how about we do EVERYTHING! Sports, eating, and movies! There's lots of hours in a day so there's no reason to not do something in each one of them!"

A grin formed on the girl's face, pointing towards the girl before turning her hand to a thumbs up.

Hana let go of the other girl to face the rest of the club. Hands on her hips she announced to them "Leader approved plan! Listen up everyone! Tonight we do ALL THE THINGS!"

David’s little snark undermining Peter was a little annoying -- okay it was a lot annoying -- but Peter tried to contain his reaction to a clenched jaw and maybe an eye-roll. The focus was supposed to be on Koharu, the new captain, and maintaining that was part of those good first impressions his parents had drilled into his skull. He’d introduced himself, and that was enough.

That didn’t mean he wasn’t about to step up to Koharu’s challenge, though. Sure, he wasn’t feeling great about anything but that just meant he needed a win to get his spirits back up, right? At the very least, an actual match could mean he didn’t have to deal with Coach Clara’s whistle for a moment or two, and that was probably worth something by itself. “Yeah, okay,” Peter said. “I’ll duel.”

Well, he was one and two against captains now, though if Charlie didn’t actually count then that score became significantly more lopsided. Worse, now that he was thinking about it, his (unofficial) record since setting foot on Horizon’s campus consisted only of that walk-on win. He was better than this!

Right?

Peter did take a little solace in watching Koharu beat everybody else. That was what he wanted to be like. Not the wordless part (actually, that part was kind of weird), but the self-assuredness of being better. He figured she’d probably be like that even if she did lose, and it didn’t look like she was losing any time soon.

Watching everyone else also gave him a little time to just be idle and do something with his hands. He didn’t dare take out his fifty-two card deck in the middle of practice, but he did have a perfectly functional set of Duel Monsters cards right in front of him that could suffice in the meantime. He just did a few shuffles, mostly the bridge kind, though he mashed and weaved a bit as well.

And that was it! That was what was left of practice. They gathered around Coach Clara again but as soon as she said something about asking more questions Peter definitely checked out mentally, only reawakened when Koharu started gesturing around wildly in a way that only Hana was able to interpret. Something about going to the city?

Before Peter could figure it out for himself, Hana wheeled around and announced “Tonight we do all the things!”

Peter’s mind went back to David. He wondered if he was going to snark about that too, like “it’s literally impossible to do all the things unless you have a time machine” or whatever. But he kept that to himself.

“Let’s go do something fun,” Peter said. Anything to get him away from the gym.

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

“Tonight we do all the things!”

A bold accusation and idea presented by Hana, as David reflected a little on what had occurred in their team meeting today. As luck would have it, he lost to Koharu with not much of a sweat breaking out on the girl. Truly she was in the same levels as Charlie and Avi were...perhaps even higher, if he was rounding things up graciously. Nevertheless, the mute Duelist was quite a formidable opponent...especially given how unlike any other opponent, she didn't say anything...and sometimes, a Duelist says a lot by the tone of their voice and their conduct in speaking.

Koharu showed none of these and thus David couldn't get a solid read...

Nevertheless, back to the moment at hand and Hana's comment. David, standing up as he slung his back over his shoulder, adjusted his glasses. "It's not feasibly possible to do all the things in one night. With the amount of hours we have, doing all the things would put us shy of...not coming into class the following day." he stated matter of factly. "If one was to do "all of the things", as you suggested, Hana...we'd need either more hours in the evening or a patented time machine to utilize. Unfortunately for you, neither is feasibly available to try out...so I'd try to shorten your list just a bit if anything."

Hana reached out to grab a hold of the new captain's hand and, when Peter spoke up, “Let’s go do something fun,” she reached out to try and grab for his too.

"Yeah! You've got it!" She smirked and looked at Koharu. "See aren't I good upper-classman? They're learning so well!"

"If one was to do "all of the things", as you suggested, Hana...we'd need either more hours in the evening or a patented time machine to utilize. Unfortunately for you, neither is feasibly available to try out...so I'd try to shorten your list just a bit if anything."

With a stage-whisper she added to the captain, "Well, some of them still need some more time."

Louder, though her previous statement had been loud enough to hear anyway, she responded to David directly. "Okay Mr. Dictionary, in that case how about this. Instead of doing all the things we can do all the things minus one!"

She looked at Peter with a smirk and informed him with a, at least she thought so, wise nod "that's called haggling. Remember that!"

Then to the other two, Terry and Makoto she called out, "c'mon guys unzip those lips and get those feet a moving! We have a full day ahead of us don't power down already!"