Skaia

Yu-Gi-Oh! Horizon [IC/Not Accepting/PG-16]

Hana was busy trying to figure out if she could fit three pieces of pizza in her mouth at once, stacked on top of each other in a horrible sandwich of crust and cheese, but she was still absently listening to what everyone had to say.

Which was, it sounded, some serious card business that she didn't really get. Strategies and negative stuff and blah blah. She felt a bit bothered that none of them mentioned that they had fun. Wasn't that the important thing?

There was one saving grace in it which was one of the girls saying "I also rushed a bit near the end because the pizza looked so delicious."

To which Hana gave a thumbs up and a muffled "Priorities!"

What really seemed off to her was the weird one that had been so energetic before. It was like they deflated. Like a balloon with a hole in it. Balloons were weird. They were always at parties but why would you waste money and space on balloons when you could have more cake instead?

Right, Terry, that's the name. She seemed to be down about something. And so, swallowing the rest of the tripizza down, Hana bounded over to the girl and put an arm around her shoulder. At least attempted to.

"Hey. Hey. Here's some advice from big sis Hana. Whatever you do, do it with all your energy! There's no time to be all down. Heat rises and uh...food is made with heat so heat is a good thing right? Well I guess ice cream is cold but actually I prefer hot stuff cause cold stuff if you eat too much it hurts and food isn't supposed to hurt." She blinked, scrunched up her face, and tried to bring her brain back around to the topic. "Uhhh don't worry, be happy!" Hana concluded with a sagely nod.

"Well, that's probably good for today. But, aside from that, the only other thing I'd like to cover is critique. More importantly, critique that isn't my own. So, Captains... feel free to chime in with your own thoughts." 

Within moments of Clara's statement, Charlie had put on a pair of eyeglasses and a pointer, adjusting the glasses so that a small shine came off of them.

"Thank you, Miss. For Peter, you made a pretty major misplay with Maiden. You targeted her with Master's effect and sent her to the GY... But she could have used her effect at that time. You would likely have not needed to resort to Chaos MAX if you had done that. In addition, the way you play is a bit too rigid. Competitive or not, it's still a game." Turning their attention to Makoto, the captain continued, "As for Makoto, you need to relax a bit. You also misplayed at the end, though not as noticeably, and I think you realized it. You have Ancient Gear Howitzer in your deck, right? Then you could have summoned it in place of Megaton Golem to use effect damage to win the game. Fewer resources used, fewer opportunities for my cards to counter it, and so on."

As suddenly as the glasses and pointer had appeared, so too did they disappear, leaving Charlie smiling at the two newbies they had dueled against.

"But I do have to say you both did pretty good, overall. Lots of potential between the two of you! Terry and David, you two also did great! Though, I think our boys and our girls are both fairly similar in their flaws... So Peter, David, less rigidity! Terry, Makoto, more confidence!" Charlie smiled warmly at the new recruits as they finished their critique. "Got it?"

Clara put a hand to her chin as she listened to everyone's responses. She was pleased to see that there was some of them who had some self reflection, though outside of Charlie the scope of it was pretty limited. Then there was Hana whose response was...well her first one was actually something along the lines she would've expected and her second one was, if nothing else, confused. "Well, I guess there is power in positive thinking but, Charlie here's got the right idea. Being able to find your own faults is all well and good, but it's important to be able to analyze your opponents as well." Putting a hand to her chin she said, "though don't neglect your own plays either. Well," she waved her hand saying, "all that will come with experience. It's just a matter of getting into the mindset of it." 

After a bit of looking around, the woman said, "well, that's about it for today. Go home. Be free. I don't really have anything planned for today, but I'm sure I'll have something for tomorrow." The woman didn't seem to be all that bothered by her lack her forethought. Instead, she seemed to get lost in her own thought as she went to go collect the application forms for the team. Then, without another word to newly formed team, the woman made her way out of the building, leaving the students to their own devices. 

Later that night, as the woman made it back to her apartment, she looked at the forms more carefully. Double taking, blinking as she looked at two in particular she said, "wait a second." 

"And so, the second days of clubs and sports teams meet. What brave fellows have made it and will now continue onto what could be the rest of their lives? And which hang their heads in shame, simply going to waste their days away in their dorm rooms? Surely, only time will tell."

"You again! Do you plan to make this a year long thing?"

"You keep leaving the door open." The argument between the two faculty members came to an abrupt end as the PA system shut off, the last thing being heard the frustrated grumblings of the second one. 

Time did tell, however, who made it into the Duel Team. As it had turned out, everyone who applied did. Congrats everyone. Their reward would be, of course, attending the first practice of the day. Going into the room where they would find their coach sitting in a chair, scrolling through their phone. Looking up as the students made their way in, the woman got up from her chair saying, "welcome back. Who's ready for some practice?"'

Looking to the captains she said, "now, I don't know how you all conducted practice before, but I can't imagine it'll be different from what you're doing now. You're all going to duel. Shocker, I know. But, there's a bit of a problem here." Looking around the room for a moment, the woman then looked back to everyone saying, "pop quiz. How many people can duel in this room at once?" 

For once Hana found that she didn't have anywhere to be. Usually there would be something calling her name and drawing her into an adventure of some kind. But today the muse of journey was oddly silent.

She supposed she might as well actually go to the Duel Team today. How unusual indeed!

But first...

---

Hana entered the gym while carrying several boxes of donuts. One of which was opened up. The girl was awkwardly leaning forward and eating one of the donuts with no hands. Pushing it to the edge and using her mouth and tongue to get pieces of it into her mouth. In this manner she moved along towards a seat in the front, set the boxes in her lap, and began to eat faster now that she had free hands.

"pop quiz. How many people can duel in this room at once?" 

"That's a silly question Miss Coach Lady." Hana said with a giggle. She held one of the donuts up and presented it to her. "If you don't know that...Maybe you need some sugar!" Her smile was totally innocent despite the implication of what she said. "After all everyone can play! Like like, someone could go over there and lay down and then they can duel someone. And over there. There too! The possibilities are endless!"

Hana was gesturing with the offered donut at various spots in the gym. Sure maybe they couldn't be all fancy but a duel was a duel right? What did it matter if they just set the cards down on the ground.

Her eyes lit up. "We can even make the attack noises for our cards!"

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"But I do have to say you both did pretty good, overall. Lots of potential between the two of you! Terry and David, you two also did great! Though, I think our boys and our girls are both fairly similar in their flaws... So Peter, David, less rigidity! Terry, Makoto, more confidence!"

While David was more or less expecting Avi to possibly give some insight on how the Duel between the two of them went, all he happened to get was a short message and explanation by Charlie. Be less rigidity...though that wasn't too much help to him in the long run, he still was grateful that one of the captains decided to say something about their Duel.

"Well, I guess there is power in positive thinking but, Charlie here's got the right idea. Being able to find your own faults is all well and good, but it's important to be able to analyze your opponents as well. Though don't neglect your own plays either. Well all that will come with experience. It's just a matter of getting into the mindset of it. Well, that's about it for today. Go home. Be free. I don't really have anything planned for today, but I'm sure I'll have something for tomorrow."

David only nodded, taking what the coach and Charlie said to heart, though his mind could only play and replay the Duel against Avi and his Toons. It was something he didn't expect to see, but nevertheless...it was a starting point.

Hopefully I'll still be apart of this...she said she'd have something for tomorrow...but that doesn't mean I passed. David thought, leaving to be left to his own devices.

The next morning came swiftly, and to his surprise...David did indeed get accepted into the Duel Team. Heart aflutter and hopes for his dream to be a Pro Duelist reassured, David ended up arriving at the first practice of the year.

"Pop quiz. How many people can duel in this room at once?"

Now this seemed like a simple question. Well, it seemed like one and then the one who did the pizza talk yesterday spoke up, to which David ended up facepalming. With her and her "answer" out of the way, David immediately motioned a hand to get the coach's attention. "Judging by the general area of the room, ma'am...the amount of people that can Duel in this room show up in different variables." he began, adjusting his glasses slightly. "For instance, if you mean a fully hologramed Duel with the works like a good portion of people prefer, then you'd only be able to fit one Duel of that caliber in this room. However! If we remove the hologram Duel aspect out of the equation and just play the game old fashioned, then the amount of Duels you can hold in the room start to skyrocket in numbers."

With a smirk on his face, David adjusted his glasses again and nodded. "It all depends on the variables you wish to use."

“Peter, you made a pretty big misplay with Maiden…” Charlie said. They kept going, but it was those words in particular that sent Peter digging back into his bag for his deck box, and, once he’d managed that, flipping through is cards one after the other until he found the card in question. He already knew what it did, of course -- how could he not? -- but he still had to physically reread it. He had to prove Maiden’s effect to himself, no matter what Charlie said.

Of all the misplays, why did he have to miss that one? Peter felt his cheeks flush with embarrassment. Nobody was really looking at him besides Charlie and maybe Avriel and Coach Clara, but that didn’t really make matters any better. His inner monolog -- the internalized voices of his parents -- were going ballistic. His mother was just laying into him (“Come on, Peter, remember what we’ve taught you? Rhythm. Take some breaths before you play,” and so on), and all his father could say was a sarcastic, “Reading the card explains the card.”

He wasn’t even happy that he’d won anymore. All that really did was deflect Charlie’s other criticism, that he played “too rigidly” whatever that meant, and that one probably wouldn’t have hurt at all anyway. Instead, when Charlie finished their lecture, he somberly nodded his head in acknowledgment, again when Coach Clara addressed them as a group, and packed up his back once dismissed without saying a word.

The actual talk with his parents, given how frequently they called and how interested they were in his performance, but he also didn’t want the real-life lecture on top of his internalized one, a lecture that seemingly had not stopped playing since it started. Sure, it receded into the recesses of his mind during classes or the more important of his myriad extracurricular activities, but in those in-between moments, it came back in full force. “Do you remember what your cards do?” they said.  “How about we go over it again one more time?”

“Hello? Peter?”

Peter snapped back to attention, and his wandering thoughts faded away. “Sorry, yes, I’m still here.”

“Here,” once again, was pacing outside the door, phone to his ear, and a pair of concerned parents on the other end. Among the various updates, he’d told them that he’d beaten one of the co-captains at tryouts, and that he’d thought he’d learned something even though he’d won, and that thankfully had been enough to keep them from prying more of the details. They told him they were proud of him (“Keep chasing your dreams, honey!” they said, which stung a bit) and also updated him on their life, a process that was significantly more rambly and not really worth repeating to anyone outside of they were doing well as well.

“We’re not making you late, are we?” his mother asked. “Second impressions are just as important as first impressions and if we’re holding you up we can just call again la-”

“No, I’m not late,” Peter said, though it was starting to get pretty close. “I’m, yeah, no, I’ll be fine.”

“Okay, well, anything else you want to tell us? Anything else going on in your life?”

His father chimed in, “How’s that girl in your Community Service club doing?”

“Dad!”

“Teasing! Sorry! We’ll let you get to your team. Congratulations again on making it! We always knew you would.”

“Love you!” his parents said in unison just before they hung up.

Peter felt the same walking into the duel team’s gymnasium that he had the first day: nervous and wondering just how he was supposed to present himself. Was he supposed to have gotten over it by now, just a little bit wiser and more thorough in his card comprehension? Because that certainly wasn’t happening.

He relaxed a little as he approached the bench, though. Coach Clara was casually on her phone, Hana was gorging herself on doughnuts, and everyone else seemed not to pay him any more mind than they had the previous day. Plus, as he sat down, he remembered he’d brought a set of bicycle playing cards this time. Just knowing that soothed his nerves a little.

Coach Clara started the meeting moments later. “Who’s ready for some practice?” she asked, a question Peter hoped was rhetorical. He wasn’t going to have to do that whole “cheer and then the asker says, ‘Let’s try that again,’ and everyone cheers harder” thing, was he?

The answer to that question was no, he didn’t have to, but that was just because it immediately lead to another question: How many people could duel in the gymnasium at once? It was a pretty easy question, Peter thought, and he raised his hand, though other people seemed content to just shout out whatever numbers they wanted. Hana had gone for the “you can have as many duels as you want” strategy, which was bold, while David’s more concrete answer still ended with him waffling about variables.

“Two people,” Peter said once he’d finally accepted that putting his hand up was getting him nowhere. “One duel, two people, however you want that answer worded. Not really a variables sort of question, right?”

Clara raised an eyebrow as the girl with several boxes of donuts came walking into the gym, catching the last half of her opening statement. The coach then took the doughnut and began to eat it as both Hana and David went to give their respective answers, followed by Peter's. Looking to Peter first, the woman said, "good effort, but wrong." Then pointing to David and Hana she said,  "good answer, both of you. If I were a teacher I'd give you full marks." Taking a bite out of the doughnut again, the woman thought about it for a moment saying, "maybe ninety percent." 

Clearing her throat, the woman continued saying, "well, anyway, you both got the main point. Practice is the most important part of getting better, and we have a pretty limited amount of space in here. And since you all probably need all the practice you can get, I don't want any of you just standing around doing nothing while two people at a time duel each other." The woman did a quick head count again before saying, "okay, one of you can sit out but that's it." Finishing off her doughnut she said, "so, for today's practice we'll break off into pairs. Two pairs will duel on the ground with just their cards and one will duel with a full set. Whoever wins first, rotate out and let the person not dueling take your place." 

After giving her instructions the woman pointed to Terry saying, "you. And..." Looking between Makoto and Hana, the woman settled on Hana, pointing at her saying, "and you. Both of you are going to be dueling first. With your duel disks." She looked to everyone else waving her hands around saying, "the rest of you five, split up however you want. Any questions? If not let's get practice started kiddos." 

"good answer, both of you. If I were a teacher I'd give you full marks."

Hana didn't think she had ever heard anything like that said to her in all her life. Was it because she had given the coach a donut? Food was a pretty magical thing after all. It could even make miracles such as this happen!

The girl didn't respond she just proudly ate another donut. Though she did cast glances at Charlie and Avi in a "Did you hear that" manner.

When the coach announced she would be dueling she let out a gasp. Then she stuffed the rest of her third donut in her face, set the boxes on the chair next to her, and stood up with a salute. "Aiai" She mumbled through a mouthful of pastry. "I wom ret roo round" she said, then swallowed the rest of it and licked her fingers clean.

Absently wiping off on her thigh she pumped her fist and pointed at Terry. "Let's do this!" She declared before skipping her way into position.

It took her a few moments of fiddling to remember how to activate the duel disk but once she did she was in business.

She drew her hand and her eye caught one particular Monster. She let out a broad, telling, smile and nodded. "This is gonna be good. I'll go first!" She declared.

Without further ado Hana pulled the Monster into her other hand and slammed it down onto monster zone "Watch this!" She shouted.

But nothing happened. The duel disk was making a buzzing noise and she stared at the card in confusion. It took several long moments of her looking at the 5 little stars on the card before she remembered. "Oh yeah! Whoopsie!" She laughed at her mistake and put the card back into her hand. "Let's try that again!"

Tongue sticking out slightly between her lips Hana looked over her cards once, twice, three times, then jumped up and giggled. "That's it, I activate this! A Legendary Ocean!"

She put the card into the field slot and the space between the two duelists changed. It now seemed they were standing underneath the water. With schools of small fish darting back and forth. Around them some sort of ancient ruin rose up. A stone structure that looked to be part of some long lost city.

"And NOW I can summon this, go, Terrorking Salmon!"

Emerging from the water suddenly was a massive fish. With a powerful, sharp, beak-like mouth and exposed muscles the fish seemed rather nightmarish.

Hana started to hum as the Monster's attack raised from 2400 to 2600. She stared at her hand for a while longer before noticing the purple coloring of Trap. She remembered that those were supposed to be played first and, not really thinking about which Trap it was, slid it into place.

"I guess that'll be it! Whatcha think? Pretty big fish right?"

Spoiler

Field Spell, A Legendary Ocean
1 Monster, Terrorking Salmon (2600 ATK)
1 Trap on field
2 cards in hand

The day had come and gone, and as days tend to, it was soon replaced by the next one. Another exciting day of duel team stuff! It was difficult to focus on her classes with just how excited she was to get started! And when those classes ended, the day was finally here. Makoto - along with the others in the duel team - had assembled in the gym once again, where they were met with the coach. A coach who eagerly greeted them, and then proceeded to give them the rundown on what was going to happen.

"Now, I don't know how you all conducted practice before, but I can't imagine it'll be different from what you're doing now. You're all going to duel. Shocker, I know. But, there's a bit of a problem here. Pop quiz. How many people can duel in this room at once?" 

The answers had varied. Hana said everyone. David and Peter said two people. An answer with which Makoto had some problems. If they did a tag duel, surely four people would fit instead, right? Well, that hardly mattered now. For now, the coach gave her instructions to the team. Terry and Hana were going to use the holograms first. And the others were to split up however they desired. Now it was just the matter of finding an opponent. Not Terry or Hana, because they were already going to duel each other. Not Charlie, because they were her opponent just yesterday. How about...

Makoto turned on her heel, looking for and then locking onto Peter out of the other duelists. "Well, you heard her. We should be dueling, so let's have a duel!"

Clara pointed at Terry "you. And..." Looking between Makoto and Hana, Clara settled on Hana, pointing at her saying, "and you. Both of you are going to be dueling first. With your duel disks."

"I dunno if... well, it'll be okay, I guess." Charlie bit their nails a bit, looking away. Hana was... challenged, to say the least. But maybe an easy win would be good for Terry, so keeping their mouth shut seemed apt. Turning to the rest of the recruits, Charlie rubbed their chin... then pointed at one of them with a smile. "Hey, David, come duel with me! We can't do a showy duel like that, but just playing with cards is fine, right?"

Grabbing a small table from the corner of the room, Charlie pulled it a bit away and set up two chairs at it, taking their spot at one of them before pulling their deck out to shuffle as they waited. 

"We, uh... probably won't be missing much from the other duel, so might as well get some practice in! Plus, I'd love to see how you fare against something other than Avi's Toons."

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"good answer, both of you. If I were a teacher I'd give you full marks."

David only a smile at Clara, quite satisfied that his answer happened to be the correct one. After all, while Peter had a good point in his answer, what he didn't account for were the different variables he had mentioned. He looked at the question at face value rather than looking at it from all angles. As he happily reveled in being right about this, he heard Clara specify what the team would be doing today...aside from Dueling.

One full on Duel with Duel Disks, a display shown off by Hana and Terry, while the others were basically Dueling on their own against each other without the need of their Duel Disks. It seemed like a simple enough exercise to have happen right now. However, David struggled with the best opponent to Duel against. While Terry and Hana were out of the running for this, David ran through his options.

Out of the rest of the team here, I know only three decks. David thought, bringing a hand up to his chin. Peter with his Blue-Eyes...Charlie with their Fluffals/Frightfur...and Avi and his Toons. If he really wanted to, he would've immediately gone back to Avi and tried for a rematch. However, he figured it wouldn't be much of a rematch. The guy seemed on a whole different level than he was. Only other option would be Makoto, but he wasn't sure what deck she used herself.

Just before he was about to finally make up his mind on who to Duel...Charlie made it up for him.

"Hey, David, come duel with me! We can't do a showy duel like that, but just playing with cards is fine, right?"

David looked at Charlie and gave a slight chuckle, shrugging and nodding. "That is a good point. But flashy or not, it does harken back to the days before the hologram technology and Duel Disk existed. Gives it a bit of a nostalgic feeling." he said, approaching Charlie and sitting down once the table and chairs were set up.

"We, uh... probably won't be missing much from the other duel, so might as well get some practice in! Plus, I'd love to see how you fare against something other than Avi's Toons."

"As am I." David happened to comment, already working on shuffling his deck. "Seems, however, that me going against Avi and his Toons without knowing much else was somewhat foolish. It's a wonder I didn't lose quicker. However, unlike that previous Duel, I know what I'm getting into with this one." A slight adjustment of his glasses to where the glare from the lights could be seen and David placed his shuffled deck on the table. "Fluffal and Frightfur. A deck that specifically runs to utilize the Fusion Summon mechanic. Pair that against my Time Thief deck, which deals greatly in the realm of Xyz Summon, I'm sure I'll have the advantage."

David was confident that between the two Captains, he could at least get a win against one. After all, he watched the Duel between them and Peter as close as he could...he knew what this deck was capable.

"So then, would you like to start us off first?" he offered with a smile.

Coach Clara glanced at Peter with a look that Peter felt could only be of disdain and said, “Good effort, but wrong.” So now he was zero for tw- okay, maybe if you put his actual card game victory in the wins column, he was one for three, but it still was a pretty good reason to just shut up and listen even if the team was asked another group question.

Thankfully, none came, just instructions on how the rest of the meeting was going to go. More dueling, though with everyone just spread out amongst themselves while Makoto and Hana took center stage. Most of the team was pretty quick to latch on to other people besides Peter, which, well, he partly expected, given his recent performances. He stood up, hoping that it’d help him announce his availability, though he was still in a daze, and he found himself wandering over to Hana even though she obviously had a partner already.

Blood sugar. That would help. And it certainly wouldn’t hurt to ask, right? He gestured at the boxes in front of Hana and asked, “You’re not- how many donuts did you bring?”

Hana looked down at her boxes and paused as if she’d just realized something important, going as far as to even silently mouth out some numbers. The actual answer was right there: three boxes of a dozen each meant thirty-six, but Peter hoped that she’d gotten the actual meaning.

When Hana finally came back up, she said, “I should've brought more, forgot that other people might want some,” she said, “but I don't mind if you take a few anyway!”

Peter settled on a simple glazed donut, just the one, and took a bite. The sugar rush didn’t kick in right away, but the act of eating helped him calm down, and he quickly finished off the rest of the donut before turning around to look for a partn-

“Well, you heard her, we should be dueling, so let’s have a duel!”

It turned out, his partner had found him. Her name was Makoto if Peter was remembering the last meeting’s introductions properly. Between the donut and being sought out, that was two good things right in a row. It actually put him in just the right mood. He was ready now for whatever Makoto was about to throw at him.

But first came the pleasantries. He brought a hand to his mouth so he could swallow the remnants of the donut, then said, “Sure, where do you want to, uh, just over here by the benches I guess?”

Edited by radio414

To be honest, Terry had zoned out since she was told she was dueling. Her humiliating defeat, at the hands of cartoons… She couldn’t risk that again. Taking a deep breath, she adjusted her scarf as they moved to opposite sides of the arena, watching as the holograms sprung to life. She watched as that wretched warrior of light summoned something, a fairly beefy monster, after a miss play. Typical, for those attuned to good to bumble their way into power. Typical. “Fuahaha!” Terry announced, crossing her arms against her chest. “Is that all you’ve got? A glorified tuna? My guardian deity, the snake of destruction itself, wouldn’t even find that a satisfying mid-night snack!” She announced, grinning. “I draw!” She roared, ripping a card from her duel-disk as she repositioned it properly for the duel. 

Deep breath. One, two. Scanning over her cards, Terry grimaced she looked through her hand, before glancing up at the field. As big-as-she-talked, she needed to think. “Hm…” She murmured, squinting at her cards… Did she need to get her prescription fixed? Gah, but they were so expensive for tinted lenses… Shaking her head, she took a deep breath, nodding. “I summon my faithful servant-- Loptr, Shadow of the Generaider Boss!” She announced, revealing a card as she slammed it downwards. 

On the field, what appeared to be a young man sprung to life, cloaked in white-robes with red-trim. Short, golden hair fluttered about as he adjusted his clothes, glancing towards the Massive Fish with glowing, blue-eyes as he bowed, with a smirk. 

“Next, let me set the scene for our battle, Warrior of Light!” Terry announced, smiling. "I’ll play Generaider Boss-Stage!” She announced, slamming the spell-card into the field. Immediately, the floor around them took a blue sheen, symbols and runes etching themselves into the ‘floor’ as the holograms projected lifelike onto the area around them. “Finally, I’ll..” She paused, taking in a deep breath. “...Set two cards face-down, and end my turn.” She gave a slight nod, squinting at her cards in hand, as if they had slighted her.

Hana had gotten somewhat distracted when her opponent mentioned “Tuna”. At first she thought, no, salmon wasn’t tuna. But then she started thinking about how tasty tuna was anyway and how she wouldn’t mind having some for herself right now.

She took a few moments before realizing that it was her turn. Before drawing she decided to correct the girl. “Actually it’s a salmon. A lot of people mistake fish but there’s a lotta difference. Maybe we should go get some later and I can show you all the different kinds of fish!”

She drew her card and nodded. “So many kinds of fish. Like this one, go, Space Mambo!” She then summoned out the Monster. A strangely shaped and colored fish that was flashing as it swam back and forth. Its attack also increased to 1900. “Both of my Monsters are stronger than yours but why don’t we make it even stronger!”

Bouncing on her heels Hana put down a Spell Card, Aqua Jet, and Space Mambo’s attack climbed up to 2900. “Now go, attack that not tasty looking Monster!”

“Sorry, but I’ll have to interrupt you as we enter into the battle-phase, but before the attack is completely declared!” Terry grinned, giving a bow as she mimicked her servant-of-darkness. “Because I now beckon Loptr to show his true colors… I activate his effect, a quick effect, which allows me to to tribute one Generaider Monster, including himself,” she paused, standing back-up straight, a card ejecting from her duel disk onto her field, as the robed-man was moved into the graveyard. “to special-summon one Generaider Monster from my deck of my choice; it allows me to bring forth, Hoarr! The Generaider Boss of Rumbling, in face-up attack position!” She announced, as a black mist took to the field.

Within the mist, a blue symbol on the floor sparked with purple energy, as from the recesses of the mist, a massive figure cloaked from head to toe in dark blues, blacks, and purples took to the field. Wielding a staff that crackled with energy, the being stood there almost politely, placing both hands onto his staff as he stabbed it into the ground. “Quake in fear, mongrel!” Terry announced, adding in a smidge of evil-laughter for good measure.

“Because!” She cut her own laughter off, snapping back into an upright position. “Not only should you hesitate to continue with your attack, as you are a measly one-hundred points of damage away from being able to even tie my general!” She paused, puffing out her chest. “But! Summoning him allows me to activate Generaider Boss-Stage, so that I can summon Generaider Tokens, until my field is full! Stalwart defenders, ready to give their lives for my generals, who will perish at the end of the turn.” She explained, as fae-like creatures sprang up within the mist, surrounding the dark-figure. Their metal shined with what almost appeared to be a holy radiance, which totally clashed with her aesthetic, but they WERE fairy-type after all.

“Oh nooo, it’s bigger than my fish!” Hana said, then gave a small laugh. “It doesn’t look as tasty though so point for me!” The Mambo, with jets attached, had been soaring through the air but suddenly stopped as the larger Monster appeared.  Hana cancelled the attack, only remembering because of Terry’s mention of hesitating, and examined the field for a moment.

“Aw, I can’t do anything, that’s a shame.” Frowning as she looked at the attack point difference she looked between the field and her hand. With a shrug she finished with “Guess it’s your turn. Lemme see whatcha got!”

Spoiler

Hana:

Field: A Legendary Ocean

Monster(s): Terrorking Salmon (2600 ATK), Space Mambo (1900 ATK). 

Set: 1 Card

Hand: 1 Card

Terry:

Field: Generaider Boss-Room

Monster(s): Generaider Boss of Hoarr Rumbling (3000 ATK).

Set: 2 Cards

"Fluffal and Frightfur. A deck that specifically runs to utilize the Fusion Summon mechanic. Pair that against my Time Thief deck, which deals greatly in the realm of Xyz Summon, I'm sure I'll have the advantage."

"Oh, does it now?" Charlie asked, smirking, "Well, we'll see~"

"So then, would you like to start us off first?" David smiled back.

"Hm... I think I'll choose to go second. Just to see what you can do first-hand."

-----

"Ah, looks like Terry got a boss out... Hana's not gonna put up much of a fight against that," Charlie muttered, then looked back to the game. "Where was I... oh right! Frightfur Wolf attacks you directly for 40,000 damage. How's that for my first turn~?" The co-captain grinned wide at David, extending their right hand for a shake. "You should never assume you have an advantage over something so simple as summoning methods, David. And you definitely play rigidly, like I said... After all, you use your effects at the first opportunity... But you show potential! So, let's go again and work on being more adaptive, yeah?"

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"Where was I... oh right! Frightfur Wolf attacks you directly for 40,000 damage. How's that for my first turn~?"

"...what the hell just happened?" David simply spoke, his eyes not leaving the table's game state for a second. Two solid turns, and he had simply lost. This wasn't something he had suspected or expected from Frightfurs and Fluffals...especially not after her game with Peter the day before.

"You should never assume you have an advantage over something so simple as summoning methods, David. And you definitely play rigidly, like I said... After all, you use your effects at the first opportunity... But you show potential!"

Finally snapping out of his stupor, David met Charlie's hand in the handshake, although he was still in disbelief. Same time, he was puzzled by the way Charlie had said that: he used his effects at the first opportunity. He exhaled a bit, shuffling his cards again as Charlie expressed wanting another round. "Of course I ended up using my effects at the first opportunity." David finally spoke, looking at them in the eye. "I've seen how the Pro Circuit is, some of the Duels are ruthless. If you don't end up using what effects and skills you have the moment they become available, you won't get a chance."

He finished shuffling his deck, moving it forward to give Charlie the chance to cut it. "...and at the same time, the adaptive side of playing this game, against those who are more aggressive, how can one possibly survive? And yet..." David adjusted his glasses, leaning back in his chair as held up a hand, directing it at Charlie. "...yet you seem to have both the ferocity as well as the adaptability to survive and win, if the game between Peter as well as the first game between us has shown."

David was just puzzled in general, as he sat up some before then drawing his hand once Charlie had finished cutting the deck. "...so allow me to ask a query: am I just to hold back on the effects and skills of my monsters instead of just using them right out the gate?"

“Sure, where do you want to, uh, just over here by the benches I guess?”

"By the benches works." Makoto got herself seated and ready to duel, waiting for Peter to do the same before whipping out her trusty deck. She was feeling confident today, even more so than yesterday. "I took lots of mental notes yesterday from tryouts, so there's no way I'm going to make the same mistakes twice!"

Peter sat down across from her and pulled out his own deck, wordlessly shuffling it a few times, seemingly lost in thought. He did speak eventually, though. “I might be going a little slow today, actually,” he said. “Just got to make sure I’m not making any dumb mistakes either. You want to go first?”

“I’ll take you up on that!” Makoto shuffled her deck, then drew her first five cards… only to realize she forgot to separate the extra deck first. How did she realize this? Why, because of the two copies of Ancient Gear Howitzer in her opening hand. “Whoops. Um… just a sec.” The girl hurried through her deck, pulling out the fusion monsters and putting them aside before shuffling again and drawing a proper starting hand this time.

“No problem,” Peter said. “Don’t make the same mistakes twice, right? Surely that’s never happened before.”

“It hasn’t,” Makoto huffed. Now then, the duel. “Let’s get this show on the road! I summon…”

“So, draw for the turn,” Peter said. “Okay, that’s pretty good. So, uh, I’ll play One for One, discarding Master so I can summon Maiden from my deck, then I can read the card this time” -- he really put an emphasis on those words -- “and send Master to my deck and Maiden to my ‘yard to summon two Blue-eyes, which then, uh, battle, I guess?”

Peter nudged the cards forward to indicate their aggression. It wasn’t the same without the holograms of last week, but it was good enough. “Anyway, that’s all I got. Do your worst.”

This isn’t good. A little slip-up, and suddenly Makoto found herself on the ropes in what was previously just a back-and-forth slugfest. She had to get back into the game somehow. She needed monsters; an empty field was no good. The girl drew her next card to start her turn, and her eyes widened at what had blessed her with its presence. “It ain’t over ‘til it’s over! Since I control no monsters, I can activate Ancient Gear Catapult. It lets me destroy one card I control to summon an Ancient Gear monster from my deck, ignoring its summoning conditions. I choose to destroy my Geartown and summon Ancient Gear Wyvern, whose effect activates and lets me add an Ancient Gear monster to my hand.”

The girl looked through her deck, pulling out and showing Peter an otherwise-ordinary looking box reaching into itself for various tools. “And when Ancient Gear Box is added to my hand like this, I can add another machine monster to my hand as long as it has 500 attack or defense points. A monster like Ancient Gear Knight. More importantly, because Geartown was destroyed, I can summon another Ancient Gear monster from my deck. Like this Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon! And just for the extra boost, I’ll be normal summoning that Ancient Gear Knight too.” Just like that, Makoto had gone from an empty field to three monsters. But this still wasn’t quite enough. Peter’s monsters were huge, and at best she could kill one by also letting her own dragon bite the dust. Which was where her newly-drawn card came in. “So, remember all these monsters of mine you’ve been beating up?”

“You’re going to have to be a bit more specific than that.”

Putting her finger on her graveyard that had been piling up, Makoto specified “The ones in here.”

“Oh, those? Sure I remember them.”

“They’re my ticket to winning this now. Specifically this Ancient Gear Golem, because I’ll be using Ancient Gear Factory to bring him back to my hand. And then, I’ll activate Ancient Gear Fusion! If I’m using my golem as a material, it lets me use monsters from my deck as fusion materials too, so by combining this with another Ancient Gear Golem and an Ancient Gear Golem - Ultimate Pound from the deck, we get…” Makoto moved the appropriate cards to her graveyard, then reached for her fusions, putting down just the ticket to victory.

“Ancient Gear Megaton Golem! Thanks to being made with three golems, he can attack three times per turn. Which is where this next card comes in. I activate Limiter Removal to double the attack of all my monsters!” An all-or-nothing gambit. Destroying her own monsters at the end of the turn to double their power now. But with power like this, did that really matter? “And then I go all-in on the attacks! How’s that for a finisher?”

Peter paused and checked his hand, then his field, then his hand again. “Uh…” He looked over at his graveyard, too, but he didn’t find any help there either. “Yeah, you got me. Nice,” he said and stuck his hand out. “I guess this is where we talk about it or did you just want to gear up for round two?

“Oh, no pun intended on the gear thing.”

“Gear up…” The pun - completely unintended - seemed to get some gears spinning in Makoto’s head. She looked over her cards, thinking really hard about something. As if struck by a flash of inspiration, Makoto suddenly asked “Do you have a piece of paper I can borrow?”

“Uh, probably?” Peter said. He dug through his bag, coming back up with a loose-leaf notebook. “Just, like, a whole page?” He didn’t even wait for an answer, he was already tearing it out.

“One whole page please, thank you.” Makoto reached into her pocket for a pen, and immediately started writing some notes down once she had the paper. “While I write some important notes down, let’s talk about the duel.”

“Alright then!” Terry cackled. “I draw!” She announced, staring at her hand. While realistically, she could attack over Hana’s monsters, she had no idea what Hana had on the back-row, and that could be… Bad, if she wasn’t appropriately cautious. “...I activate Dark-World-Dealings. We both draw one card, and then discard one card.” She explained, playing a spell-card, printed with a black skeletal knight; emerging from the card, the skeletal knight loomed over both duelists, awaiting the sacrificial card as Terry drew. “For my discarded card, I discard Terraforming.” She nodded, handing the card to the skeletal figure.

“Aha! But as you draw, I interrupt even my own plans; activating Generaider Boss Stage’s effect!” Terry announced, inserting a ‘kyahahaha’ at the end of her explanation. “Generaider Boss Stage starts us off, allowing me to special summon a Generaider in defense position from my deck as you draw! And I choose…” She trailed off, smiling. “Hela, Generaider Boss of Doom!” She cackled, selecting a card from a pop-up menu only for her deck to spit it out onto the field. Beside the black-armored knight, a massive woman with pale skin, cloaked in dark purple robes appeared in a bolt of lightning. Holding a black staff, she beckoned an array of bones and limbs up from the ground as a shield, staring the field down.  In the same moment, Hoarr began to move, beginning to point his staff towards Hana’s field, before stopping. As Terry laughed, a pop-up window would appear in front of her, though, she wouldn’t notice as it times itself out, and Hoarr resumes his original stance. “So, any response?” Terry grinned, moving a hand to cover one of her eyes. “And what card do you discard, Hana?”

When Terry asked Hana she was mouthing something to herself, counting off something with her fingers, trying to keep up with all that Terry had just done. She gave a start as Terry asked her the question though and looked at her hand. “Uhh. Uhhhh.” She glanced between the two cards. Then with a shrug she grabbed one of them, Creeping Doom Manta, and sent it to the graveyard. “Buh bye for now, fishie!” She declared.

“Good then!” Announced Terry, nodding. “Now, I’ll swap Hoarr into attack position,” she shifted the card’s direction, before pointing towards Terry’s field. “And enter the battle-phase, declaring an attack towards... “ She paused, squinting at the monsters on Hana’s side of the field. It was really unbecoming of a Final Boss to have to pause and read card descriptions… She would have to get better at reading them beforehand, and memorizing them. “...I’ll attack… Terrorking Salmon!” She resolved, nodding. While Mambo would result in more damage now, she should deal with the more imminent threat first, right? Right. “Any response?” She asked, as Hoarr, the black-clad knight, stepped forwards - staff spewing mist as he lifted it from the ground…”No? Good!” Terry grinned, as Hoarr one-again stabbed his spear into the ground; black mist bursting up towards Terrorking Salmon from the earth below, as the fish began to gasp for air-- Water? Gasp for… Something, that’s for sure, and Hana lost 400 life-points. “And… I end my turn.” Terry finished, proudly.

“Oh no, I’ve been got!” Hana said, letting out a giggle. When Hana drew her next card and looked at it she let out a long. “Oooh, oh oh I know I know this part.” She excitedly set down one of the cards in her hands, Wind-Up Shark. The cartoonish robot shark appeared out of the water and seemed to grin at Terry. “Aaaand then I can uh...this! Another one! Special Summon!” 

A second shark appeared behind the other one. “Now check this out, I learned about this a few days ago, it’s uh, uh Exy, Exy...XYZ Summon!” She then proceeded to clumsily overlay the three, currently level 3, Monsters. “Say hi to Shark Caesar!”

The Monster summoned out, thanks to her field card, had 2000 Attack. Much less than Terry’s and it seemed that Hana realized that. Her face screwed up a moment before she snapped her fingers. “I can remove one of the...thingies, and put a shark counter on my Monster! What do they do? Well, you’ll see when it attacks!”

Hana looked between the two Monsters on Terry’s side, back and forth, back and forth, before settling on a target. “That one, Defense mode girl!” She had almost attacked the other but, realizing at the last second she’d have a totally open  field, decided to save her fish for now. As the shark rushed in at Hel its attack got a 1000 point boost.

“Ah, dam-Darn it…” Terry murmured, frowning. “If only I had played…” She trailed off, rifling through her not-so-expansive hand of one card, frowning as she seemed to tune Hana out. “...I’ll have to make sure to be more careful next time…”

Hana wiggled happily in place as her Monster destroyed the target. Even though she had no cards in her hands she felt pretty good about herself at the moment. She then noticed the trap on her side and tilted her head. Taking a peek at it she said “Oooh right. Oh! Yeah, that’s the end of my turn!”

“Right! Right… Draw!” Terry announced, trying to regain her composure! She had to be more careful, ready for anything. “I play Generaider Boss Loot!” She announced, a treasure chest springing to life just behind Hoarr, as she took a deep breath. “Any time you destroy a Generaider by battle, you’ll draw a card.” She explained, nodding. “Then, um… Based on what you said, I can’t really attack safely...” She swallowed nervously, scanning her field and her single-carded hand. “Ummm…” She paused, peeking at her traps. “This isn’t… This isn’t great…” She murmured, biting at her thumb. “...Um…” She trailed off, once again, frowning. “I…  Uh… Change Hoarr to defense position, and… End my turn.” She almost seemed to deflate, sighing. “Not much you can do with one card, and that’s okay. Don’t panic, Terry.” She murmured to herself, squinting at her card…

“See? See? Aren’t fish great?” Hana said as she drew her card. A Spell! Not one she could use right now though. But it was neat! Plus it felt nice to hold onto a card while playing. Otherwise her hands wouldn’t know WHAT to do.

“I remove another fish from Caesar and now he has TWO shark counters. That’s double! And now, go, attack!” Shark Caesar rushed towards Terry’s Defense position monster and grew to twice its original size, it’s Attack increasing to 4000, and tore into the Generaider.

The boss was destroyed without any problems, disappearing into mist as the shark tore through the metal-armor like it was paper. The treasure chest behind the monster, in response, popped open; a card being practically shoved into Hana’s hand. “O-Oh, yeah! Um… I’ll use that draw, to activate Boss Stage, to summon Dovelgus! Generaider Boss of Iron!” Terry announced, nodding. “Come forth, lord of Dwarves!” She bellowed, as a mechanical golem powered by blue energy rose from the ground; holding a massive, blue and silver axe in front of it, as if to block attacks. “Um… And, of course, from Boss stage tokens swarm the field to defend Dovelgus from effects, etcetera etcetera.” She repeated, nodding, the fae-like constructs swarming around the golem. “Back to you.” Terry sighed, giving an almost polite bow.

Hana looked at the card that had come out of her deck with some amusement. “Gee, thanks!” She said. This one she could play! “I’ll put this Trap face-down and end my turn. Look, my field is getting so big now!”

Spoiler

Hana: 7600 LP

Field: A Legendary Ocean (Field)

Monster(s): Shark Caesar (2000 ATK, 2 Shark Counters)

Terry: 8000 LP

Field: Generaider Boss-Room (Field). Generaider Boss Loot (Spell)

Monster(s): Dovelgus, Generaider Boss of Iron (2500 DEF)

“You’re… notetaking?” It wasn’t that Peter didn’t see the point -- obviously, there was a point -- but he also, like, shouldn’t he be the one doing more work. He lost, after all, and the only reason he wasn’t tearing out paper and joining Makoto in the process was, well, his problems were pretty clear-cut. They’d been there during his duel with Charlie, too, as far as he could remember, but now that he’d lost, they were a bit more pronounced. “Uh, I guess I need to work on how I use my protection effects. There was probably a point where I used one I shouldn’t have or the other way around.

“It’s hard because they’re all slightly different, right? And half of them again have some other effect, too. My parents are pretty big on drilling all this into me and I mean, I try, but it’s still hard. But, um, yeah.”

Overall, Peter took the loss to Makoto well enough. The things he was saying weren’t false things to pass the time. In fact, he took it better than even he had expected -- he felt almost okay. To be fair, winning hadn’t exactly been the goal for him; his goal had been to get through a game having demonstrated progress. And he had. He remembered.

Peter looked over at the holographic duel between Hana and Terry, which was going about as swimmingly as could be expected (that one was intentional). Well, there was some hesitation going on on both duelists’ parts but that was to be expected, right? Not everyone had had the same upbringing as him, poor things. Surely they’d get used to it eventually, though, right? They had to when meets came around.

Makoto was still scribbling away when Peter looked back. He didn’t want to distract her, but, while he was collecting his cards back up and shuffling them together, he did get a little curious. “What about you?” he said. “What are you writing down?”

Charlie nodded along as they listened to David, casting the occasional glance to Terry and Hana's match. It was about what they expected it to be, other than the surprising Xyz Summon, so most of their attention remained on David, until he finally asked for their opinion.

"...so allow me to ask a query: am I just to hold back on the effects and skills of my monsters instead of just using them right out the gate?"

"That's correct! Of course, there's such a thing as having too much trepidation when to use your effects... Or even being too greedy with the timing. But, let's say I activate Polymerization. You know that Tiger can destroy your board, so unless you have a way to stop it, you probably don't want it to resolve. Which is fair. But it's also likely that I could have another copy, so is Polymerization the best hit? 'If they have it, they have it' is a phrase that you seem to take too much to heart... But how about this time," Charlie placed their deck back down, drawing a new hand and smiling, "You see what happens if you wait until... let's say even a single opportunity later?"

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"That's correct! Of course, there's such a thing as having too much trepidation when to use your effects... Or even being too greedy with the timing. But, let's say I activate Polymerization. You know that Tiger can destroy your board, so unless you have a way to stop it, you probably don't want it to resolve. Which is fair. But it's also likely that I could have another copy, so is Polymerization the best hit? 'If they have it, they have it' is a phrase that you seem to take too much to heart..."

David listened intently to Charlie's explanation on the question he proposed to them. It seemed almost, crazy enough for him. For the longest period of time he had played in the manner he had been up till this point. Did he lose some Duels, of course, but it was these Duels against the Captains that truly made him wonder if Charlie actually was right.

"But how about this time...you see what happens if you wait until... let's say even a single opportunity later?"

The young man began to rub his chin slightly, trying to play this whole thing through in his mind. Wait an opportunity later? ...that could possibly work. After all, Redoer's one skill allows it to immediately take from the deck each Standby Phase, so that there isn't technically an issue. ...then at this point, perhaps waiting until they Fusion Summon a monster might be the better idea.

David slowly nodded, shifting slightly as he drew himself a new hand. Originally he was just trying to prevent Charlie from preforming a Fusion Summon, but in this case, the way they explained it...perhaps if he waited for a moment later, like after they fused...perhaps that might bring forth a bit more of an opportunity to win.

"Very well then. If you believe I should wait a single opportunity later...then I shall." David nodded slowly, starting off first with a small play of placing Abyss Actor - Curtain Riser in the Pendulum Zone and then summoning Goblindberg, shifting it to Defense and then summoning up Time Thief Winder, before grabbing a card from his deck: Time Thief Hack. He placed the card on the field and then looked at Charlie, before placing a card face down. "...now, seeing as I prepared the stage this time for my comeback...I'll concede the end of my turn. Hopefully I'll be able to show you differently this time."

“I’ve got this, I’ve got this…” Terry murmured to herself, doing her best to swallow her nerves as she hesitated, one hand over her deck. “...I draw.” She nodded, closing her eyes as she dropped her hand onto the deck, sliding out the last card. A spell card, an important one; it could either save her, or… She could lose off of it. But there was only one way to find out. “I play one-day-of-peace. This is another card that allows us each to draw one card, but unlike dark-world-dealings, this one is a bit more cautious.” She explained, nodding. “Neither of us can take battle damage until the beginning of my next turn, which is… Handy, as it allows me to summon a Generaider from my deck; this is one you’ve seen before, as I would like to summon another Hela, in defense position.” She continued, walking through her thought-process as the monster appeared alongside the iron giant.

“I… Want, deep down,” she paused, laughing. “To summon one of my babies; one of the demons of the void, destructive beasts that could break down your field with raw-fire-power… But…” She took in a deep breath, staring at her field - then her opponents. “...That’s not going to help me much here. Sure, I could get higher attack than you could hope to deal with-- But something tells me that giving you more and more cards into your hand, and making you throw away more and more cards while you have the superior board-state, is only going to give you more and more power. So…” She trailed off, pulling a par of cards from her extra-deck, and glancing between the two of them, ultimately putting one of them back.

“I overlay the Generaider Bosses of Iron and Doom, to XYZ summon Number 9: Dyson Sphere!” She announced, as symbols along the floor lit up around the two monsters, engulfing them in light. In a flash, their spirits burst from the light, intertwining into a single being near the ceiling of the room, a large space-station, looming over Terry’s field, as she gave a quick nod. “Because every evil-genius needs a hideout.” She grinned to herself, smiling. “And with that, I end my turn, warrior of light.”

Hana stared blankly at Terry. “Huh? Oh, so, so uh...you summoned a Monster, and played a protection spell, got it!” Hana nodded to herself as she drew a third card, making her total now three. She saw the card she drew and did a happy little squirm. “Oh, it’s this one! Watch this, this is gonna be a fun turn! First I gotta remove three of my Fish from the grave and….boom, look! Hunger of the Deep Sea!”

A large, ancient looking, fish rose up from underneath the water on the field. Its eyes flashing with a fierce gaze as it settled into position. “It’s attack is equal to uhh...1000 for each Fish in my grave! Which is...uhhh...one, oh wait!” She then removed the last of Shark Ceaser’s materials for a third Shark Counter. “2000!” The Attack further increased by another 200 due to her Field.

“Aaand now, spell time! Fish and Kicks! With the power of my banished Fish I can banish one of your cards and I choooose, that space base!” A trio of  flickering fish rose up from the spell and circled the Dyson Sphere before dragging it down into the depths. Hana let out a sigh as she realized that was all she could do now. “I guess no point in attacking now, so it’s your turn!”

As the space-station was torn apart by the fish in the depths, Terry couldn’t help but let out a sigh of relief, drawing a card. “Gonna be honest: wasn’t sure it’d work so easily.” She laughed, rubbing the back of her head. “Now then, that means I’m statistically safe to do… This.” She nodded, her evil-grin coming back, as did her energy. Gosh, thinking ahead really makes you feel like a real final boss! “I play my second, and final copy of Loptr, Shadow of the Generaider Boss.” She explained, the sly, white-robed priest from before once-again taking to the field. “However… I’m not going to be quite so complacent, or slow this time!” She exclaimed, flexing her hand outwards towards Loptr. “It’s time to take the initiative! Loptr, show your true colors! Bring forth your master: Frodi, Generaider Boss of Swords!” Once again, the Robed Priest gave a quick  bow as he was engulfed by flames....

“Halt!” Hana called out. “I’m about to use a trap that’ll make you go ‘oh no’. Or rather, Oh Fish!" She then activated one of her traps and the card took effect. “When you use an effect I can shuffle a banished fish back into my deck...this one, and then stop that effect and blow up your Monster!”

“Sorry, but I’ll have to interrupt that interruption, with my own interruption!” Terry smiled, snapping her fingers as a trap-card on her own-side flipped upwards. “Generaider Boss Room! When you activate a card in response to one of my Generaider effects, it allows me to discard a card,” she paused, throwing away what appeared to be a Dark World Dealings. “And changes your card’s effect to:” She paused, clearing her throat. “Each Player Draws One Card”. She finished, with just an extra heaping of smug. 

“Gasp, it was I who was made to go ‘oh no’!” Hana said with a smile.

“Exactly! Cower in fear, Warrior of Light!” Terry grinned. “As your draw, allows me to summon another beast from my deck, in defense position! Naglfar, Generaider Boss of Fire! Join Frodi as she comes forth, my generals!” She exclaimed, cackling as the flames created by Loptr grew in intensity, only to be snuffed out in their place by visible gusts of wind. Landing in the center of the smoldering symbols was a winged archangel, a massive great sword firmly within her grasp as she stood at attention, staring the enemy field down. Meanwhile, just behind her, a bull-headed demon seemed to claw its way up from the ground; skin burning with coals as each breath it let out produced steam…

“But we’re not done yet! No, sirree!” Terry cried out, practically bouncing up and down in her spot as she pulled a card from her Extra-Deck. “Because, with their union, Blade and Fire combine to summon my highest general, and their God!” Terry announced, clearing her throat again. “From the depths of nothingness, from the caverns of the void, comes a creature far more terrifying than anything seen before! Come forth, Jormungandr! Generaider Boss of Eternity, The Abyss, and All Things Evil!” She announced, as what appeared to be a black spirit shot forth from her card as she played it. 

The spirit first entered into Naglfar, tearing the burning bull apart from within, before wrapping its snake-like body around his waist, and tearing through Frodi’s armour; pulling the two monsters together until they were overlaid in an XYZ summon. A black-beam of energy enveloped the two monsters as the spirit was given form from their flesh, black scales giving way to red spikes as the world-eating serpent came into view, it’s master posing behind it. “And now, I activate his effect! By discarding one material from him - Naglfar, in this case - I can force us both to draw! And while I can’t summon off of this draw this turn, instead, you must make a devilishly evil choice!” She explained, sliding the card she herself drew - another copy of Dovelgus - under Jormungandr as it coiled higher and higher upon itself. “You must choose a card from your hand, or field, to attach to Jormungandr as material; a sacrifice to the serpent who consumes all.”

Hana blinked a few times as she tried to process all that information. She looked at her field and remembered, again, she had a trap card that she, again, forgot what it was. “Well, I dunno what this one is, so might as well choose this trap!” She paused as she realized she had no idea how Terry was supposed to get the card. So, without a care in the world, she took the trap out and ran right through the holograms to hand over the card and run back to her position.

The card, as it would naturally, went under Jormungandr; allowing the serpent to coil up higher upon itself; though, those who were watching, would notice as the massive serpent not only made sure not to get run into by the fishy lass, but also made careful motions as to not accidentally hit her, even if it wasn’t a physical hologram. “And with that…” She glanced at Jormungandr’s attack stat, now a nice three-thousand. “I end my turn.”

“Wow, I have so many cards to play with now!” Hana said, still all smiles, as she drew her fourth card into her hand. 

“But don’t get too carried away, Hana! As we’re just getting started!” Terry interrupted, grinning. “I activate Jormungandr’s effect again, as it’s a quick effect! I discard another material, this time, the original Frodi, to have us both draw a card and attach a card of our choice to Jormy!” Terry concluded, sliding another card from her hand - a trap card, Dark Bribe it looked like, under the snake-creature’s card. “So tell me, Hana, what shall you sacrifice this time?”

Hana drew her card and her smile widened as she saw the particular spell. Then she grabbed one of the other cards, Salvage, from her hand and once again ran through the field to give it to Terry.

Placing the card under the Serpent, Terry did her best to contain herself to little hops in place, before coughing just a bit. “A-Anyways, lets go! You should know the drill by now! You drew, so welcome another generaider from the crew!” She nodded, a heavenly chorus chiming in as a copy of the archangel from before swept down beside Jormungandr, three fae-like swarms appearing around them. “And back to you!”

“Your guy is very strong, but still not as strong as my Shark, and things are about to get even bigger soon! I will activate this spell, Sushi Chef!” In front of the girl appeared a man in a chef outfit, holding two large knives. “I can discard up to 3 Fish from my hand and gain 1000 Life for each. And it happens that you’ve given me three of them!” The girl sent the cards to the Graveyard and her life total increased by 3000. As she did her stomach growled and she winced. “Gotta get this done fast so I can eat...Anyway, if three cards are discarded I get to draw a card!” She picked up the card and immediately set the Monster down. “Rage of the Deep Sea! Which also increased in Attack by how many Fish are in the grave...only 500 though.”

Both Rage and Hunger’s attack stat increased in a surge. Leaving Hunger with 5200 and Rage with 2700. “And now, Caesar, attack!” 

“Go ahead! Attack Jormungandr!” Terry announced, cackling. “But first, let me activate Generaider Boss Bite!” She paused, flipping the card over. Red eyes engulfed the world-consuming serpent, as it peered down from it’s towering coils. “Targeting two of my three tokens, and Frodi, I sacrifice them; to attach three monsters from my graveyard to Jormungandr,” she explained, both the destroyed Hela’s and the first Frodi moving from the graveyard to the snake. “Bringing Jormungandr’s total up to seven materials.” She explained, the serpent's spikes oozing a red liquid as it began to move in place; constantly moving and coiling around itself, digging holes into the ground as it did so.

Hana squinted at the numbers. Glancing between it and the Monsters on her field. Taking much more time than she should have she slowly nodded. “It’s bigger.” She said, her tone much more solemn than the statement needed. “I guess. I suppose….that’s the end of my turn then. Sorry fish, no food for you this turn!”

Spoiler

Terry's Field:

One Monster: Jormungandr (7000 ATK, 7 Materials)

One Spell Card: Generaider Boss Loot

Field Spell Card: Generaider Boss Stage

Hand: 3 Cards

Hana's Field:

Three Monsters: Hunger of the Deep (5200 ATK), Rage of the Deep (2700 ATK), Shark Caeser (2000 ATK)

Field: A Legendary Ocean

Hand: 0

Something like that? Hmm... no.

As much as Makoto was in the zone with her own thoughts, that didn't mean she wasn't listening to Peter. It seemed that his main problem that he found himself was the use of protection effects, and/or lack thereof. It wasn't really a problem Makoto could relate to. A lot of her cards did the same things, and protection effects in her deck were rare at best. That was something Peter would have to figure out on his own.

“What about you? What are you writing down?”

"Read 'em and weep," Makoto grinned, lifting her hands from the sheet of paper and spinning it around to reveal the contents to Peter. Rather than notes from the duel, it seemed the content of Makoto's notes had been focused elsewhere.

gear up
grind my gears
shift gears
kick into high gear
geared toward
get into gear

"Very important stuff," Makoto added, with just as much pride in herself as when she first turned the sheet around.

“Read ‘em and weep,” Makoto said. So he did (well, the first part anyway) and…

“Wait, you just decided to write down a bunch of puns?” Peter said. There was no lesson here, no way to improve or grow. And it wasn’t like he would have cared too much, but he’d been under the impression that the paper was for game notes; it had been his paper originally, after all. And it had been his pun that seemed to inspire Makoto.

“Kick into high gear” was pretty good, though. Peter could totally imagine some duelist on the entertainment circuit saying that. And really, once he thought about it some more, it wasn’t a big deal, just a shock. Besides, the alternative was another duel and he didn’t really want to duel again, did he? Especially not after a loss.

And now that he was okay with it, he kind of wanted to help out. “Aren’t the little pointy bits of gears called teeth?” Peter said. “So there’s a whole well of tooth-related puns if you want to go down that road. ‘Kick someone’s teeth in’ is kind of a repeat but you can have that one for free too.

“Also, what do you have for dragons? All I’ve got is, like, ‘drag on’ which has about one use case and it gets old quick. You have any ideas?”

“I draw!” Terry announced, her grin growing by the moment. “And now, I activate Jormungandr’s effect again!” She explained, nodding. It had all come to this, her master plan, the growth of her child, the ascension of her beast… “I discard another material, for us to draw and equip a card from our hand to it.” She nodded, staring her opponent down. “Hana, what now?” She asked, attaching a trap-card, this one named Generaider Boss Room to her beastie. “What sacrifice shall you make now? What will you feed the beast, in hope that your destruction may be staved off?” She asked, driving the point further and further as the snake rose to the sky, as if preparing to strike.

Hana looked at the card she drew, another Salvage, and gave a shrug. “Here ya go, take this one.” She said, making her way through the field for the third time to deliver the card personally.

The leviathan of a monster, once again, politely moved out of her way, and waited for her to return to her side of the field before it returned to it’s striking pose. “Thank you,” Terry nodded as she took the card, sending Hana back on her way as she slid it under the leviathan. “But… That being said, I don’t think I’m satisfied yet, so I guess your sacrifice was all for naught,” Terry laughed, moving a hand to her mouth. “Because… As your God, as your Final Boss, the goddess of destruction, descendant of the final devils of hell, who’s eyes have been gifted to her as gifts from benefactors unknown,” she paused, bringing a hand to her chest. “Who’s powers know no bounds, who’s strengths know no limit! Who’s ascension will be unparallelled!” She paused, before pointing forwards. “Attack Hunger of the Deep, with all eight-thousand of your attack! A full fish fillet, for your eyes only, Jormungandr!” She announced, cackling.

“A what now? Oh, ouch, that’s a lot of damage.” Hana said. Though given the boost she had gained from Sushi Chef it wouldn’t actually lower her points that much. The attack would leave her with still over 7000 Life Points.

The snake lunged forwards, tunneling beneath the ground as it did so, as it transitioned from the boss-room within-which it was contained, unto the deep sea-floor. Bursting up from the sandy floor, it began to coil around the rock-like fish, towering higher-and-higher, before delving into the center. Though there was no physical shockwave, the digital-hologram of the floor shook as the massive, stone-like fish was taken underground, with the leviathan of legend, as 2800 life-points were deducted from Hana’s total… “And… With that, I end my turn, foolish Warrior of Light. Try not to squirm too much.” Terry announced, nodding.

Hana’s stomach growled again and, despite Terry’s words, she began to squirm. Though more from hunger than anything else. “Alright deck, it’s time for food, gimme something to end this.”

She then drew the card and looked at it blankly for a while before giving a goofy grin. “Well, guess that’s it then.” She set the card back on top of the deck and looked over at Terry. “I give! You win.” No reason to drag it out longer. Especially when she was getting hungrier by the second.

“...What?” Terry paused, her entire demeanor falling as the holograms themselves gave way, a tiny puff of holographic confetti popping out of her duel-disk as the grand-fields and monsters they had created disappeared to nothing. “...I’m sorry, what?” Terry repeated, her voice dead-inside as she tilted her head off to the side; her duel-disk automatically shuffling her deck back together, and spurting out Hana’s cards into a dead-slot.

“Well I don’t think I can win with what I got so might as well stop.” Hana put her cards back into place and made her way over to Terry to grab up her cards from there as well. “Come on, I’ll give you a donut.” Hana said. “That was fun wasn’t it?” She was already heading past Terry and towards the chair that her donuts were waiting. Flipping open the top box she took two out and took a bite. Holding the other out towards Terry and beckoning like one would to a cat.

“Aren’t the little pointy bits of gears called teeth? So there’s a whole well of tooth-related puns if you want to go down that road. ‘Kick someone’s teeth in’ is kind of a repeat but you can have that one for free too."

"Hmmm... but wouldn't people confuse it for the teeth in our mouths?" If she was being fully honest, Makoto didn't know that tidbit of gear information until just now. That sounded like incredibly specific knowledge. Was Peter perhaps a mechanic or engineer of some sort? Well, that couldn't have been right; he was too young. But maybe he wanted to be one? What a fascinating aspiration! In any case, reeling her mind back to the conversation at hand, Makoto concluded that teeth puns were something she'd have to pass on.

“Also, what do you have for dragons? All I’ve got is, like, ‘drag on’ which has about one use case and it gets old quick. You have any ideas?”

"Dragons... hmmmm..." In the corner of her sheet of paper, Makoto doodled up a rather poor rendition of Peter's dragon of choice. "Maybe something like, 'time to tip the scales!' would work. Or something about feeling blue?" This was something Makoto would have to set aside some time to really think about. She added it to a mental checklist. Dragon puns were difficult.