yui

What are some trivial things that interest you?

Thread inspired by a discord discussion with @REP where he talked about the evolution of MUGEN characters. What are some trivial things that interest the rest of NCM? Tell the world all about it!

Pinball. I find it very fascinating. Just observing and mentally picking apart every mechanical and electrical component and imagining all the design and engineering that went into it, even for the simplest machines, is quite the obsession that I've developed recently, and one reason I've gotten so much into pinball video games as of late. There's one that came out recently called Demon's Tilt that got me intrigued with the idea of a machine with 3 different stages like the one you play on. I love it.

Anyway, that is my TED talk.

Edited by Thar

I tend to ramble philosophically about random shit, mostly related to the human condition, but it's usually directed at Bree or Jesse. Sometimes melly.

Trinkets, figures, and snacks. How the little trinkets function, whether the figure looks cute, ornate, or has poseability. Or how sweet or crunchy the snack is. Packaging helps as well. The presentation and all that. I like chips, Nendoroids, and little wind-up toys. Super trivial, but it personally grabs my attention.

Does YGO counts? A while ago a friend who is not into any gaming scene asked me about YGO and I found amusing how I explained things the most basic way as possible and realized that it can be so complicated to someone who has no idea of card games in general.

I like Touhou but I don't get as deep into it as I would like to since there is so much content I haven't checked out and haven't gone as far as beating any of the main games in Lunatic Mode. Still, doesn't stop me from appreciating and being fascinated by the series and all the fandom behind it, including fanarts, music, fan games, official lore and literature, etc.

EDIT: Adding a couple of things:
I sometimes read content and lore like stories, character origins, etc. mainly from LoL and Overwatch but laos other games I stumble upon such as a Hat in Time, Shantae, Skullgirls, etc., despite not playing them.

Also I randomly get curious about how certain food products or dishes are made. For instance one time I ended up looking up how canned sardines are processed, and recently I read about the origins of different U.S. style pizzas such as Chicago, Detroit and pan pizza.

Edited by Darj

1 hour ago, Damian Thorne said:

Yes

Heyo I see you're posting a lot and that's good but I want to make sure to let you know please avoid spammy/short/off-topic posts in threads outside of the Miscellaneous section

1 minute ago, LordCowCow said:

Heyo I see you're posting a lot and that's good but I want to make sure to let you know please avoid spammy/short/off-topic posts in threads outside of the Miscellaneous section

Oh. Thanks.

Anyway, pretty much every trivial idea that comes to my mind interests me. For example, I talk to myself a lot as if I'm recording a YouTube commentary video, and often I reuse the same "video" ideas for weeks.

Psychology and the human mental state. While studying I took a course in it with a professor who made me love the field. I won't pursue it as a career but I find it very interesting.  For example: did you know that fear and excitement are the same thing?

On 3/30/2020 at 11:50 PM, Comrade Duck said:

Psychology and the human mental state. While studying I took a course in it with a professor who made me love the field. I won't pursue it as a career but I find it very interesting.  For example: did you know that fear and excitement are the same thing?

I didn't know that. Then again, they don't feel the same way. Maybe it's just the brain identifying the context of the feeling and treating it differently in different situations?

16 hours ago, Damian Thorne said:

I didn't know that. Then again, they don't feel the same way. Maybe it's just the brain identifying the context of the feeling and treating it differently in different situations?

They don't feel the same because you're receiving them in different situations. But they're the same chemical reaction in your brain. It all depends on the situation.

I tend to spend my days reading and writing lately, that I like being able to just opening up some lame mobile game on my phone with airplane mode off. My favorite, besides thermo Sudoku, is Nonogram. I like the pattern of pixel puzzling. It is a rather simple concept, but I can get warped into it while I am needing to take a break.

18 hours ago, Dae said:

I tend to spend my days reading and writing lately, that I like being able to just opening up some lame mobile game on my phone with airplane mode off. My favorite, besides thermo Sudoku, is Nonogram. I like the pattern of pixel puzzling. It is a rather simple concept, but I can get warped into it while I am needing to take a break.

Nonograms are great. I think I have like 8 different apps on both my phone and Steam. Possibly more.