LordCowCow

When Is A Spoiler Okay To Talk About?

In general or just you personally. Is it a time thing? A popularity thing? There are plenty of older (a year or so) shows and books and such I haven't watched/read/played/etc but is there a certain point where it's on you if you see a spoiler?

I'd say once DVD / Blu-ray / Online releases, it's a bit of a weird one but if you can't go to the cinema and it then releases down the line then everyone who would've seen it had had the capacity to see it at that point.

At the point where the common assumption is that everyone has seen it or known about it. It will vary depending on how popular it is and will change from social group to social group. You only really get a grasp for it by listening to people talking about it.

My general rule of thumb is that after about a week of it being released that it's on me if something gets spoiled. Though that rule only applies for online/social media spoilers. If a friend of mine tells me a spoiler, and they know that I haven't seen that particular thing yet, then we are going to have a problem! I love being surprised by TV shows/movies. 

I will say that the pressure to watch something as soon as it is released to avoid spoilers is an interesting consequence of how connected people are today. For example, I saw the new Star Wars just a couple of days after its release but still a few things had been spoiled for me on Twitter, etc. 

Anything and everything I haven't personally seen yet is a spoiler, even references that allow me to figure out future events. Also, shut up about the show entirely if you're talking about it in front of me (provided that it's a circumstance where I can reasonably say that).

If I know someone is sensible about rape, death and other such sensible things, I warn them if I know they're about to read a manga with such things. I know some fragile people so I don't mind if it spoils the story for the sake of their sanity. For example, I've revealed more than once that

Spoiler

...in a few words, Berserk is fucked up.

Edited by Doigt

I feel like at any point if someone wants to read, watch, or play something blind, regardless of how old it is, then any discussion containing spoilers should be either covered or taken elsewhere. Either way, as long as they know ahead of time, they'll mention whether or not they're okay with hearing it, and that should be respected.

Edited by Thar