LeafStar12

Card Maker is Down

Question

14 answers to this question

Used a computer which has Edge on it to try figure out where downloading goes wrong. The debug tools are unfortunately somewhat lackluster, which is not helped by the minification that is performed on application (done for slightly faster load times), so I don't know where it goes wrong. Though I have managed to confirm that the host address does not affect the ability to download the data. 

While this issue is being sorted out, I'd suggest that users of Edge (temporarily) switch to a browser like Firefox or Chrome. Otherwise rely on the auto-saving feature.

I'm locking this topic, as it has served its purpose. Please start a different topic if you encounter another issue.

No need for all caps lol. Thanks for the concern though!

Admins are trying to do some updates/upgrades on the card maker and there's a few bumps along the way. But it's being looked into.

Some work is being done to better incorporate the card maker in this website. A few changes were required, which could have broken other things. I don't encounter the issue myself, so I have little to go of what could be causing the issue. It could be a caching issue. Maybe that clearing it helps.

If that does not work, I will need some more information to work with. Like the browser where this occurs, and maybe a screenshot of the console (typically opened using F12).

A problem ! have is I can't save the cards I create to my PC (cause it doesn't give me the opition. I could do it before by clicking on the card which took me to what I think was a complete card page, without all the card making stuff on it and could save it there. But now I can't access that page.

The card maker is, and was, not supposed to take you to a different page when you try to save your card. Though it is a known issue that some browsers show a file instead of downloading it. My best guess would be that your browser now behaves correctly, by downloading the file. Could you check if your Downloads folder contains a file that might come from the card maker?

I've recently tired using the Neo Card Maker and every time I tried to save the card nothing happens. I've even tried clearing my cache and It still doesn't want to save the card. It's like it doesn't think that saving the card is worth the effort.

20 hours ago, Wardragonmon said:

I've recently tired using the Neo Card Maker and every time I tried to save the card nothing happens. I've even tried clearing my cache and It still doesn't want to save the card. It's like it doesn't think that saving the card is worth the effort.

When you say "saving the card" do you mean saving as an image or saving the .json file?

Also, for future reference it's probably better to make a separate thread rather than using this one as this was in relation to a separate issue (we'll support you in this thread for the time being but just moving forward it would be better to make your own!)

Sorry about that. The next time that I need post something I will see about starting a new thread for it. I guess that I felt that this would be an okay place to post what I said because of what Animanster had posted about trying to save cards.  Anyway what I mean is that whenever I hit the save button to save the card nothing happens, no new window pops up asking me what I want to save the file as. So I can't save it as an image or a .json file. I hope that that this helps, since I don't know what else that I can tell you other than my main browser is Microsoft Edge.

And once again I apologize for not starting a new thread for this. Different forums have different requirements for different things so it's not always easy to know what is preferred.

It's cool, don't sweat it - was just letting you know!

Can you right click the card image and save as? That'll give you an image you can save as?

Edge doesn't appear to work for me either, so I imagine it isn't supported @Yemachu to confirm.

image.png

Which browsers are supported, and which ones aren't is not quite clear cut. Not all browsers support the same features; it might be that I relied on one that is not supported by Edge in this case. Firefox is my browser of choice; since I don't usually test with all of the major browsers, issues like these might slip through.

I don't know the exact issue, so it is something that I will have to look into. In the meantime you could try using a different browser, or rely on the autosave functionality (though it isn't all that useful when working on different cards).

@Tormented  I was able to do that on the old website, but whatever programs that Yemanchu uses here disables that function, for Microsoft Edge that is. I was able to save cards in a different format by using the method that Animanster mentioned in his post, but whatever Yemanchu has recently done has disabled that option. So I guess that for now I wait and try again at various times to see if anything has changed to allow me to save cards.

While some things have changed in the code, none of it relates to downloading. That isn't to say I have no idea what might be causing it. Prior to the incorporation of the card maker, the code was hosted under the same domain as the webpage that loads it. Nowadays this is different; the code is still in the same place as it used to be, but the page requesting the code isn't. 

It isn't a vulnerability in this specific case, but could be considered one in the general case. A browser could very well decide to block any attempt to download data that as initiated by a script that is not provided by the current domain. For all we know it was a malicious advertisement.

But this is just a hunch; it needs to be tested to be sure. Could you test whether the download functionality still works for the old location? (https://yemachu.github.io/cardmaker/). If it doesn't work there, I unfortunately don't know what to do either.

@Yemachu   I took a look at the link you put up and I still couldn't save a card. Then I remembered something that might have have been the reason why I was able to. When I was last able to make cards, the card form (for lack of a better term) scrolled separately from the card image. When a certain point was reached the card image did scroll, but not before then like it does now. I don't know if that was part of the original design or not, but it was something that was happening. If that does not help you any than I don't know what else to tell you.