Blake

[Custom Cards 2020] Section Rework Discussion

Ah, yes, the spooky thread. Where CC gets shaken up. Again. For the umpteenth time. Be it by my hand or another. Perfect.

But really, it's not that bad. Simply put, as we move forward, the section is in desperate need of reorganizing. It's a bit cluttered as-is, so the general idea is to fix that up and prepare for the future.

Merging Singles and Sets

With the way that NCM flows, plus the nice and fluid tagging system we have atm, I think the previous issues that caused a need for the physical separation of the two should be pretty much nonexistent. So long as you clarify somewhere (tags, title, etc.) that your post is a set, it should be fine to simply go in the section. But why is this what we're looking to do? Well, you see...

Rush Duels and Speed Duels

With the advent of Yu-Gi-Oh! Sevens, we will have our third official format added to the game; Rush Duels. It's not especially ergonomic to have 3 sets of Singles and Sets. Sure, the new sections may not see much use, but with Rush Duels being a major format that, as we have been told at this point, all cards from April 2020 onward will be a part off, we should be preparing for the arrival of it. Makes more sense to have 3 dedicated sections than 2 sections with cards for up to 3 different formats.

Also of note, Yemachu does have plans to implement the April 2020/Rush Duel Card Format into the card maker, but that is a while off. We'll let you know more as we get closer to release date, but please be patient.

In a similar vein...

Master Rules April 2020

With the new rules being announced that make major changes to how Fusions, Synchros, and Xyz interact with the gamestate, card design will be expected to keep this format in mind. Proper card design is always looking forward, after all.

This will be irrelevant after April 2020 for the standard format, but it is relevant for the time being.

Removing Other Subsections

Now, Singles and Sets aren't the only sections on the chopping block. Along with it, the Decks and Experimental Card subsections are also being looked at as extraneous. However, these are not without their faults.

Decks may not have much, but there is the question of demand. If high enough, the question then becomes where Decks should go. With our third format on the horizon, it would most likely mean decks simply get posted either in the TCG Deck subsection(s) or in their respective CC subsections, but not sure at this time.

Experimental Cards will, instead, go into the same sections as every other card. Weird card design shouldn't be punished, so long as it's not too far out there. We aren't going under the label of "Realistic" cards anymore, so while design should be kept with an idea, 

Joke Cards will instead go in Miscellaneous. The section is functionally a card-based extension of it, so your cards will still be home in Misc.

Other Changes?

I am unsure right now. A lot of things to incentivize activity or the like would be, in and of themselves, dependent on there being enough activity for them in the first place. As-is, the section is fairly dead, so ideas for this are very welcome. 

Beyond that, I'll hand the discussion over to you guys, especially the regulars plus any future card makers coming to post, so please post your thoughts, comments, ideas, concerns, etc.

The staff is aware of the issue with the card maker at this time. Yemachu should be working to fix it as soon as he's available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Speed Duel cards will likely see little enough use that they could share a section, either with base CC or with this theoretical Rush Duel section (on which note, I support this restructuring of CC). Can't say I've ever seen a custom Speed Spell, so an entire section dedicated to them seems like a waste of space on the whole. The question then becomes if the special spells should share a section with the special monsters or if they should go in the main CC section.

CC decks are a bit of a stranger issue, though. Having the decks posted in the TCG decks section isn't quite as intuitive even if it makes more sense, since you're going to a whole different part of the site for it. People new to the site may get tripped up by that. If they go in the respective CC sections though, there ought to be some sort of rule in place where you need to label it as such.

3 minutes ago, Yui said:

Speed Duel cards will likely see little enough use that they could share a section, either with base CC or with this theoretical Rush Duel section (on which note, I support this restructuring of CC). Can't say I've ever seen a custom Speed Spell, so an entire section dedicated to them seems like a waste of space on the whole. The question then becomes if the special spells should share a section with the special monsters or if they should go in the main CC section.

CC decks are a bit of a stranger issue, though. Having the decks posted in the TCG decks section isn't quite as intuitive even if it makes more sense, since you're going to a whole different part of the site for it. People new to the site may get tripped up by that. If they go in the respective CC sections though, there ought to be some sort of rule in place where you need to label it as such.

yui you're thinking turbo duels

Speed Duels = the 20 card deck format with Skills, the one used in Duel Links. Which does have some cards from the anime that never saw print.

Just now, Blake said:

yui you're thinking turbo duels

Speed Duels = the 20 card deck format with Skills, the one used in Duel Links. Which does have some cards from the anime that never saw print.

Upon reading this three times and almost posting me still being incorrect, you are right. That's what I'm thinking of. Turbo Duels. You'd think they'd have called them Speed Duels back then or named the Speed Spells Turbo Spells instead to match.

As I've previously mentioned I think we need to make it super simple for users to post (I know you've addressed a couple of points here and in our discord already) complication only works for larger communities, we do not do any favours by having intricate rules that users must follow to post content (however some rules do need to exist for obvious reasons) I want it to be a case of if someone wants to do discuss something they can just post a thread in a few clicks rather than adhering to a check list, not that we've been particularly strong with the rules thus far but I digress.

Just a heads up that this is not dead. Just waiting on more news for the rush format so that we can work on changing the section in regards to what’s on the horizon ?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.