Sign in to follow this  
radio414

Best Music of 2019? (Of The Decade?)

Hey everyone!

Threads like this one are starting to pop up, and given my status as the forum's only radio, I figured I was obligated to start this one. The idea, I'm sure, is pretty simple: Do you have an artist, album, or even song from this year that stands above its peers? I'd have made this one of those "of the decade" questions, but my music tastes have drastically changed over the past ten years (ten years ago, I was listening to my mom's ABBA CDs, and while those are still fire, it's not really what I listen to anymore) and I assume a lot of yours still have as well.

If you do have a definitive artist/album/song "of the decade", feel free to share it, but if that's too broad, well, what new things have you been listening to?

I myself have a bunch of album answers for this question. In no particular order:

• Bill Callahan's Shepherd in a Sheepskin Vest, a folk album with songs that blend together enough for easy continuous listening while I'm working on something unrelated, while also having some poetic sequences if you do start paying attention. Sample Song: Ballad of the Hulk
  • King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard had two albums come out this year, Fishing for Fishies and Infest the Rat's Nest, and while the fact that this band released two albums of such quality at all is impressive, but the fact that they are in two completely different genres (boogie rock and metal respectively) is, well, if that weren't King Gizz's whole thing, it'd be mindblowing to me. It's still really impressive though. Sample Songs: This Thing and Self-Immolate
  • I just discovered Fat White Family this year, and while their previous albums have not quite hit the sweet-spot for me that Serf's Up! has, that doesn't mean the album isn't really, really good in my eyes. They're labeled as "post-punk" on Wikipedia, and I guess that makes sense? I don't really genres. I just know the album is wall-to-wall bangers and that's enough for me. Sample Song: Kim's Sunsets
  • It wasn't just me, but most of the world that came across Black Midi this year with their debut album Schlagenheim. This is another rock-adjacent album ("math rock," if you care) that admittedly can fall apart sometimes -- some of the vocals are an... acquired taste and we'll leave it at that -- but expresses an energy in the meantime that I and a lot of other people think shows some promise for their next few albums as they develop. Sample song: Ducter
  • Last but certainly not least, Boards of Canada released Peel Session, an old set they played on John Peel's BBC radio show. Boards has been notorious for, well, not releasing songs they've made even on upcoming albums, leaving fans to keep circulating the tapes, so this is a big get and does not disappoint. As for the type of music, I've heard Boards of Canada described as like ambient music, but replacing the nature sounds with synths and a downtempo drumbeat (apparently this is called "Intelligent Dance Music" which seems demeaning to all the other dance musics?). Anyway, it's great. Sample Song: XYZ

So that's five (okay, technically six). And that five isn't even counting PUP's new album, or Leafcutter John's. I heard people really liked Tyler the Creator's new album, though I didn't get to that one. Plus King Crimson and Tool both finally released their music on digital storefronts so that's exciting. It's all exciting, really.

I guess I'll close all this by asking the same question I started this all with: What have you listened to that stands out this year? If you can (you don't have to), what about this decade?

Edited by radio414

Couldn't think of anything at first because when I explore and find new music to enjoy it is usually from past years and I lean towards artists and labels I already know, although I am always looking for new artists whose creations fit my tastes. Then I remembered that I was introduced to Royal Republic and they got a couple of songs I dig and that were released in 2019, plus they stand out to me because while I like rock music, I don't listen to it as much as electronic stuff, but these guys are a big exception so far. Thus, I nominate them for this thread.

Regarding artists, songs, etc. that I discovered in 2019 but weren't necessarily debuted or released in this year... then Dustboxx from Hardcore Tano*C label comes to mind, specifically with the track "Mind Acid Reflection".

Another noteworthy artist for me is Moe Shop, who got me with the mixes it made a couple of years ago. I already knew it from one of its singles, but I rediscovered it this year, so to speak.