Sign in to follow this  
Chaos Sonic

Morbius (2020)

Jared Leto portraying the Living Vampire, Morbius.

Won't lie, I wasn't 100% thrilled about this originally, since it needs Spider-Man, but MY GOD this actually seems like it might be good.

So let's begin the discussion!

I have a lot of reservations with this, pretty much like I did with Venom. Never saw that, but heard some mixed opinions on it. In general I just can't bring myself to trust Sony with trying to build their own cinematic universe around Spider-Man's supporting cast. At least with Venom, I kind of understand that. He's a character who has long been able to hold his own as an anti-hero in the comics. But Morbius? He has a horrible track record with holding his own solo series. I wouldn't expect him to fare much better in films.

9 minutes ago, Phantom Roxas said:

I have a lot of reservations with this, pretty much like I did with Venom. Never saw that, but heard some mixed opinions on it. In general I just can't bring myself to trust Sony with trying to build their own cinematic universe around Spider-Man's supporting cast. At least with Venom, I kind of understand that. He's a character who has long been able to hold his own as an anti-hero in the comics. But Morbius? He has a horrible track record with holding his own solo series. I wouldn't expect him to fare much better in films.

I get this.

Basing it on his comic run of him having a solo series, it's been generally downhill, so I'll give you that. This isn't too well of a thought out idea for Sony in the department of finding a "Spider-Man villain" to make a solo movie out of. Out of the entirety of the collective characters, if anything, it probably should've been Black Cat who received a solo film (then again, the moment they bring her and Spidey into the same screen, things might get weird if she's WAY older, so probably a good thing that's not the case). Still, out of this we have multiple pathways for this to proceed if this works out perfectly.

He was in two different groups within Marvel Comics:
-Legion of Monsters
-Midnight Sons

The Legion of Monsters and Midnight Sons has quite the gallery of members, including Ghost Rider as well as Werewolf By Night. The latter of these two, however, does deal with a different Marvel character: Moon Knight, which has been confirmed for a Disney+ show. Could Morbius possibly make an appearance there in Moon Knight? This could open the door to that possibility.

Not only that, but if the 90s animated series of "Spider-Man" is anything to go by as well...then this would open the door for yet another chance meeting: Morbius and Blade. Blade has also been recently confirmed for the MCU in Phase 5. That said, what better way to have a Living Vampire in the MCU (or Sony's MCU whatever) to go against Blade, just like they ended up crossing paths with before in the 90s animated series (which those episodes debuted Morbius as the vampire and had him go against Blade).

Again, I understand the implications on the fact of Morbius and a stand alone movie may be pretty bad and might bomb, but at the same time: I went into the Venom movie with that mentality myself. Don't get me wrong, I love Venom as a character in the Marvel comics, but it's only cause he had the connection with Spider-Man. So I assumed it wouldn't work without him. But the movie did it's thing and a bunch of people loved the movie, despite it having no connection with Spider-Man whatsoever. This movie, however, has blatant references to the Web-Head, Michael Keaton playing a "undisclosed role" (even though we ALL know it's Adrian Toomes/Vulture) and even the recurring J.K. Simmons as J.J.J. (though this is currently rumored, but we all know he will). This one might do a bit better than I think it will, but this is just me thinking aloud.

morbius-new-image-scary-1212689.jpeg?aut

This is a new poster for Morbius, released yesterday. I am looking forward to this. Leto has always been an awkward actor, and usually works with characters that have ulterior motives to mask their physical appearance and actions. I loved him in Nightcrawler, thought his Joker impression was offputting since it was external representation of madness from a character that portrays his inner monologues outwardly. In Bladerunner 2049, it showed much about how Leto works in the darkness; not as a character of the dark. This stretches his career a little bit more, from playing a character masked in darkness who has his own darkness to try and break away from. I am excited for Morbius, it is a solid character for him.