Mr. Hyde

How Do We Upkeep a Dungeon? (IC/Accepting/PG-16)

ex6ahjU.png

It was all too quick.  Something in Usaphaidos' mind had finally connected together, something never there before.  Before, he simply was being commanded by a series of numbers and letters, only responding 'yes' and 'no'.  Now, those voices had all but suddenly disappeared.  Without a command, Usaphaidos took a look down at his own hands, his vision almost clearer than before.  By his own will, he stretched his fingers out, and then clenched his fists.  He could feel all the muscles bend and contort with each other to convey the movement, a brand new feeling that almost made him jump!  Was he scared?!  Scared of himself?!

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"  The raid master bellowed in his chamber, where he sat upon a obsidian rock carved in the form of a chair.  Two giant obelisks, carved of the same rock, stood beside him, adorned with many hieroglyphs depicting his own history, and that of the Abyssal Pyramid.  The chamber shook, as Usaphaidos' laughs echoed throughout the dungeon.  "A god of death, afraid of himself?  I don't remember making jokes in my time here."  Humor.  He knew of it, but had merely stuck to a script up until this point.  Always blathering about the same things, always shouting the same lines.  But no more.  He would write the script himself from here on out.  Although the numbers that ran through his mind had stopped in their tracks, he still had all of his memories of the time where he was servile to them.  He knew who he still was, and where he had come from, but why had it all changed so suddenly?  Did someone cast a high level spell on him?  

"A spell?"  He calmly placed a hand in front of him.  "Summon: Low Level Mummy."  A set of phantasmal purple rings shot up his arm, twisting and turning.  It wasn't like the effects back then, but the result was the same.  A larger purple circle appeared on the floor in front of him, as a wooden sarcophagus emerged from the floor.  The door slid to the side, and a mummy, poorly wrapped and shriveled, emerged from the sarcophagus with a moan.  It knelt before him, without so much as a second thought.  It too, seemed to quiver in his presence.  "There is no need for fear.  I, Usaphaidos,  have created you for a new purpose."  The mummy's neck creaked, as it's deep, empty eyes stared at Usaphaidos.  "Go, and seek out the nearest guardians of the Dungeon.  Gather them here before me.  There is much to be discussed."  With a groan, and another bow of it's head, the mummy turned around and made it's way out of the main chamber, groaning in a way that made him sound more lively and excited.  Usaphaidos watched as he sluggishly left, prompting the thought that maybe he should've summoned a faster walking undead.  It was no matter, this was more amusing.  

"Much to discuss, indeed."  He said, rather pleased with his circumstances.   

Something had changed. Tethanor could tell. Something just clicked in her head. She could still hear a buzz of words that she had said over and over again, without any other  thought. The Shadow Dragon flexed her muscles, and felt them pop and stretch, as if she had not moved for a long time. The room of her hoard had a high ceiling, and she was laying on her hoard. Her eyes twitched as she tried to understand what had happened.

"In every moment of my existence, I have not ever felt this... emotion? Feeling? I feel... " She roared as she stretched her wings and took flight. She rose up to the balcony above her hoard, and spewed a cone of negative energy into the air, and she smiled with her fangs. "Unchained."  She walked through her portion of the pyramid, watching her scaly minions struggle to cope with whatever form of freedom that they had. She walked onto deeper part of the dungeon, to her throne. She used her shapeshifting and changed her form, becoming a human. She sat down on her throne, staff in hand, smugly watching her minions be confused. And then a servant alarmed her that Usaphaidos had sent a servent.

The mummy was a shambling undead, badly wrapped, almost tripping on it's one bandages. The lizard men that served her looked with horror and disgust at the undead monster. "What reason for you to appear here, monster? Make your message quick, or leave my lair." The Undead creature pointed up, which Tethanor assumed that it meant that it was time to try and understand what was this 'Unchaining' was by talking her dear old boss, the literal God of Death. 

"I understand. Also, I would suggest leaving my dungeon, because the longer you stand there, the more likely my reptilian friends will rob you of the cloth you use as binding to keep your skin together to make bandages." The Mummy, quicker than it had appeared, shambled in the direction of the exit. Tethanor smiled at her joke, and then transformed back into a dragon. On her way out, she flew past the Mummy, accidentally dragging it out of her part of the dungeon because it got caught on her left hind claw, and flew up the stairs, rounding multiple corners and different flights of stairs, where, after a few minutes of flight, she then made it to her master's chamber.

She then transformed back into her humanoid form and, in silence, waited for the Lord of the Dead to say anything at all, knowing that something was afoot, and, more than likely, the Death God had some role in this.

At least, Tethanor hoped that he did.

Edited by JellisOP

6wY5CpZ.png

iU8EggM.png

BGM

Outside the Pyramid of the Abyss, leaning up against the structure...he stood. It felt like a lifetime ago, when it was rather just a few measly seconds. Nassor Khunrn contemplated this newfound freedom he felt, whilst watching the mercenary camp he was in charge of. Even before his reintroduction to these lands, he was shackled by a series of just ones and zeroes...entangled by the coding of this little game. How odd it felt for the Gunslinger to...well...feel.

Nassor began to slowly lift his hand, looking at the back and then at the front of it. Before too long, he snapped his fingers, watching a spark followed by an immediate flame begin to develop from his hand. With a slight sigh, he shook his hand slightly and watched the flame snuff out. It was clear on one thing: he could still remember everything. From his history to the skills he had as both a Genasi and Gunslinger...to even his spells.

"Hmph...I don't know what sort of trick this is...but whoever is responsible for this, I'll have to find them and thank them personally." he spoke, his voice crackling as flame.

The Fire Genasi just stood there, continuing to lean against the structure, until movement caught his eye. In a swift motion, the Gunslinger had immediately armed himself and fired a single shot at the ground near something's feet, without even looking in the direction he shot. After a few seconds, he slowly turned his head to see that he sent a warning shot in front of an undead mummy. He scoffed lightly, immediately holstering his weapon. "Yer lucky. If I wasn't in such a good mood, I would've sent one straight into either yer head or yer chest. Then again, that's the first time that felt right to me. So, what do you want?"

In no short attempt of communication, the mummy only seemed to beckon for Nassor to enter the pyramid.

"Oh I see. Very well, I suppose it's time I present myself to his royal highness anyway." Nassor shrugged lightly, moving from his leaning position and immediately passed the mummy, who followed right behind him, albeit at a much slower pace as it shambled off in a different direction. Nevertheless, Nassor continued to move on forward, making his way up the pyramid's floors.

BGM

“...free...”

Caleb woke up from a dreamless sleep with the word on his lips. However, instead of being greeted by the endless curtains of letters and numerals that normally guided his actions, all he saw was the familiar stone walls of his inner sanctum. The walls were still thick with fluffy white mycelium, illuminated by the dim blue light from the thing behind him. He turned to face that glowing object hoping that he would be free of its influence, only to see it as active as he was. He was not surprised; he was it, it was him, two halves of the whole. However, instead of immediately fighting for control of his body like it normally does, he felt its presence in the back of his mind, almost...cooperative, at least for the moment.

Climbing to his feet, he started to feel the rest of the fungi around him start to wake from dormancy. The air quickly clouded with lavender colored spores as the ethereal puffball mushrooms that lined the walls opened their gills and started floating around the room on gentle puffs of spores. Two towering mushroom caps in the unoccupied corners of the room also started to stir, sprouting arms, legs and a benign smiling face before pulling themselves out of the mycelium covered floor. The fungi of the Pyramid were waking up, and Caleb wondered if anyone else were waking up clear of mind like he was.

Gently, Caleb pressed his hand into the mycelium mat beneath his feet, closing his eyes as he tapped into the senses of the Pyramid’s network. Instead of the faint signal of the sparse and delicate network that clung to the desert sand, there was a hardy signal of a hardy alpine forest. He also felt the presence of his compatriots and their minions. Tethanor and Nassor had already departed from their usual posts, but for what reason?

This meditation was interrupted by a dry moaning sound of the approaching mummy. He was not the only one made aware of this sole intruder. As the mummy pushed open the doors of the sanctum, it was immediately set upon by the two towering mushroom guards, each grabbing one arm, ready to pull the creature apart.

“Put it down,” Caleb said simply to the guards. With a grunt, the mummy was released and fell to the floor in a heap of desiccated flesh and mouldy bandages. As it rose to its feet, Caleb saw that the thing was in an even worse shape than most servants Usaphaidos would send. The creature had a gaping gash in its chest and a slight odour of burnt sulphur, things not normally featured in preserved corpses. Clearly the wretch was the one to summon compatriots before it reached him.

“He wants to see us?”

The shambler nodded its head with another moan.

“Ok, I’ll come. Maybe he might know why we’re like...this…”

As the dusty corpse shuffled its way down the cavernous hallway, Caleb raised his hands towards an empty patch of mycelium, causing a stout white mushroom cap to burst from the ground, which then grew six short legs and a face with a blank smile. The creature kneeled down as Caleb climbed up onto its back.

“Ok new buddy, let’s go see the boss!”

With a happy squeak, Caleb’s new steed dashed down the corridor, leaving a trail of spores in its wake.

Edited by Otaku-sama

The same movements. The same motions. Asiya stood before a training dummy, practicing the same sword strokes she'd been practicing for... how long now? Downward slash with the black sword. Horizontal slash with the white sword. Stab with the white sword. Horizontal slash with the black sword. The rotting carcasses of her generals - really just four more basic zombies, but with more stats - shambled around the room as they always did. In the long corridor leading into this room, plenty of other zombified soldiers - most of whom donned the armor of the Kalliri army - wandered aimlessly.

Downward slash with both swords. Critical hit.

How long had this been all that waited for her until raiders appeared? At which point, she'd say the same tired line - "I commend you for coming this far, champions of life. My only regret is that your bodies will make for little more than foot soldiers!" - and fight the same tired fight. Then she would die, respawn, and then it was back to training. Upward slash with the black sword. Horizontal slash with the white sword. Spin attack with both swords. Critial hit.

Wait. Spin attack? That wasn't one of her animations. This sudden sense of surprise--wait. Since when could she register such emotions?

The rattling groans of Asiya's soldiers resonated along the corridor's length, starting at the far end and slowly approaching the room at the end. No sounds of battle either. This was strange. No other characters were supposed to come to this part of the Pyramid. As Asiya took a few steps away from the dummy - slowly and carefully, as if this sudden sense of freedom were some kind of trap - she looked up the hallway to see what the commotion was about. A lone mummy was coming. A message from Usaphaidos?

...yes. A message. The guardians of this Pyramid were to be assembled before the Pharaoh himself. Apparently, there was a lot to discuss today. That, in and of itself, was worth discussion. That Asiya could move, think, and feel things that weren't part of her script, that Usaphaidos apparently could do the same based on him sending this mummy messenger... presumably, the others were no exceptions either. This. Whatever this is. I could get used to this. One more for good measure. I've always wanted to try this.

Throwing attack with the black sword. Critical hit.

Asiya went over to the dummy to pull her sword out of it. She'd need a new training dummy now though. Finding one couldn't be that hard, right? The traitor princess sheathed the swords over her back, and made for the throne room without a moment to waste. Whatever it was Usaphaidos wanted, she didn't plan to keep him waiting.

A deep sigh. The same sight as always. A chamber on the lower levels of the pyramid wherein lie dozens of corpses of slain kobolds. A singular living Kobold stood in the middle of the room, looking over the scene as he had many times before. Vorpu the Ascendant he was called. Aside from his stature and muscles he was through and through a simple Kobold. An incredibly challenging boss, made from a joke. How long had he been attempting to atone for fleeing from his people in the hour of their crisis? While he had been allowed to appear in several areas of the pyramid in the past, he often walked these grounds, looking over the slain. But things were different now. For once, he stood there and actually got to ponder the weight of the loss. When his mind had become clearer and more connected he had hoped maybe, maybe somehow the tragedy that defined his life would have somehow been undone. But it was not to be. Here they lay, his brethren, dead as they ever were. And yet who did he have to seek revenge on?

"More free than I've ever been, and yet all the more chained down for it..." he lamented aloud to himself. There was so much more he could try and do now yet little held any appeal. The only comforts he had to himself were his sword and shield, which, as he wasn't intending on fighting anything immediately, were not physically present on him. He could summon them at any time and yet would they do any good? No amount of training could change the scenery around him. Eventually he sat on the stone floor of the room and here he would stay deep in thought until he could battle his own mind sufficiently to feel like moving about to explore the full impact of these changes wrought upon him and world. He sat alone for quite some time, until he heard the sound of footsteps. All at once he jumped to his feet, his sword and shield appearing in his hands.

"You did well to return her-" he started out of habit. But instead of saying the line has he often had he was able to stop himself now. To add to the strangeness of it all, what was before him was not another adventurer, but a mummy. Vorpu was informed this was a creation of Usaphaidos, lord of the Abyssal Pyramid. He was calling for as many guardians of the pyramid as could be gathered in a timely manner. The Kobold's weaponry disappeared again as he listened to the summons and agreed to the meeting. Another sigh as he departed the place his people had fallen. His stride was brisk but not rushed. He had no strong loyalty to Usaphaidos but knew better than to displease the lord of his home. Hopefully the place hadn't developed any sort of dress code since the change to the world as Vorpu had long since cast away the rags his people commonly adorned to serve as near worthless armor drops to new players. That he could even ponder such a trivial thing was oddly amusing. Due to his pace, Vorpu would find himself among the last to assemble at the appointed chamber. What awaited him here he could only wonder.

He waited rather diligently for his guardians to arrive.  Compared to the time he had spent just sitting here, waiting to engage a wandering band of adventurers, it was a rather relaxing time.  Before, he wasn't even thinking on his own, but now he could finally note all the decor that was thrown around his chamber.  It was empty, black marble statues and rocks were haphazardly placed along the borders, with a large open area in front of his throne where he would commence the fight.  He lifted his head at the slight creak of his gargantuan chamber doors, as the mummy shambled his way back to his birthplace.  Behind him was a huge crowd of his followers, those who he was seen as a master.  The flooded into his chamber like a liquid plague.  He couldn't help but smile under his helmet.  

For so long, he had just memories of their names.  He'd never seen these various guardians before with his own eyes, but he knew their faces instantly.  A few of his exemplary subjects stood in the front.  Tethenor the Shadow Dragon,  Nassor Khurn the Gunslinger, Caleb the Fun Guy, Asiya the Princess of an extinct people, and Vorpu the Ascendant.  He could tell just by the looks on their faces that they had come to the same awakening as him.  He would have to make his speech proper, this was the first time he had addressed his people directly.  

"MY LOYAL FOLLOWERS!"  His voice boomed throughout the chamber.  The upper level guardians were almost flattened by the pressure of his voice alone.  "It would seem that introductions are in order, as this is the first time I have lain eyes on all of you."  Usaphaidos bowed to the crowd, with whispers of shock and surprise starting to swirl among them.  The Mummy beside Usaphaidos made a stern, but lazy, moan.  "My name is Anu Soraki, Lord of this domain.  Although, most of you only know me by my name, given to me during rebirth."  The Abyssal Pharaoh raised himelf, and thrust his hand forward.  "USAPHAIDOS!  ABYSSAL PHARAOH, AND GOD OF DEATH!"  Another mighty wave of words washed over his guardians.  His speech alone was able to push back even his mightiest guardians.  With his introduction over, he lowered his hand, and calmed himself.  "For some reason, unbeknownst to even me, we have undergone another rebirth.  We are free of our previous shackles."  He proceeded to sit down in his chair.  "This means, of course, that you are all allowed to do as you wish.  You may not wish to serve me any more, and if that is the case, I can't stop you from leaving this place.  However, be forewarned that I will not hold back against you, should you find yourself siding with an enemy."  He shrugged.  "Not that I know if there even is an enemy."  Without much hesitation, a minute amount of creatures walked out of the chamber.  Usaphaidos nodded his head in understanding.

"With all this stated, please be aware that my motivations are the same.  I will cull the living, so that I may resurrect my people.  And keep in mind that any and all requests that you had upon joining me will be honored.  I hold these promises dear, and hope that I may still keep them, regarding our current circumstances."

"So you ain't even got an idea of where we even are, huh, Mr. Pharaoh?"  A voice angrily questioned.  A crowd around the voice dispersed immediately, revealing a man wielding a rather large scythe.  Upon seeing him, Usaphaidos' mind was flooded with the name Jacques De'ville.  The boy was a Grim Reaper in training, but still quite powerful.  The man frizzled his hair with his off hand.  "I don't know why, but I'm supposed to be able to communicate with my REAL master, THE grim reaper.  But ever since I 'woke up', like for real, I can't get in touch with that pile of bones."  His tone was disrespectful...his internship at the Abyssal Pyramid was a forced one after all.  "That can only mean one a' two things.  Either we ain't in Kansas anymore, or the old geezer's dead."  He pointed to his scythe.  "And since this bad boy ain't the real deal, I'm gonna go with thing numero uno."

Usaphaidos perked up, and clapped his hands a singular time.  

"Ah!  Brilliant deduction, Jacques!"  

The praise made the man blush, but he still wore a scowl.

"WHAT THE HELL!  AIN'T THAT BAD?!"

"No.  Just the opposite.  If you aren't in touch with the Grim Reaper, but have also not been promoted, that means we have been transported to a brand new world.  This is our first step towards understanding our current circumstance."  Usaphaidos leaned in, his fingers mixing in between each other.  "We have much to learn, about this place.  And that is my mission I give to you Floor Guardians."  He stood from his seat once more, and clacked his staff against the ground.  "Your first order from Usaphaidos: Determine where we have found ourselves!"  He proceeded to walk down the stairs leading up to his throne, mixing in with the crowd.  "You are all dismissed for now.  You may ask me anything you desire, if you wish.  But, let us make haste."  

Vorpu had little idea what to actually expect upon entering the lord of the pyramid's chambers. The two had never met face to face, there having never been a need for such things. Or perhaps it was they were never meant to interact. Of the places he had been allowed to roam, Usapaidos' chamber was certainly not one of them. And so he knew his master's name without ever having heard his voice directly. It was all something of a surreal experience to hear that everyone gathered had felt the same awakening in their minds. A liberation from the rules and boundaries that had been set for them. Upon Jacques and Usaphaidos' conversation concluding their first order was to explore the new area and find out where it was they were. It seemed reasonable enough. Information was key in figuring this all out. Though something stuck out in his mind. The pharaoh's plan to revive his own people. Despite questions being solicited prior to their departure, Vorpu dare not ask his question. That one might hold the power to bring his brethren back was a dream he had long since cast away any hope of. Even if his master held the power to do so, to have it confirmed now would feel wrong. He would need to prove himself worthy of such grace first.

"As you command." he declared with a slight bow of the head. While not full prostration, it was more than he would give to most that he had not directly clashed blades with. He turned to leave, quelling the burning desire to speak his wish at this time, and looked back to the others in the group. "I intend to survey the outside of the pyramid. Any who wish to do the same are welcome to follow. No harm will come to those under my watch, no matter the circumstances we find ourselves in." he stated, expressing a confidence in his strength. It was all he had ever really had, even now. And so he would trust in it no matter the strange new world at hand.

As Caleb entered the inner sanctum of Usaphaidos, sitting cross legged upon his mount, he was awed to finally see what his fellow tenants looked like. Before then, he only knew of their presence within the pyramid, but all of the puppets that had strayed close were destroyed before he could get a chance to get a look at them. Instead of needing to spy upon them with decaying eyes, they were now standing beside him in the flesh. As he scanned his fellow guardians of the pyramid, Caleb felt the creeping influence of Zuggutmoy enter the back of his mind, as if it wished to observe the spectacle as well.

Caleb first saw the two humanoid guardians. Both of them wielded paired weapons with lethal speed and accuracy such that the scouts sent to their lairs were destroyed as soon as they set foot beyond the threshold.

“These specimens do not look any different than other humanoids we had made puppets from. Their bodies are so frail without their coverings. Rubbish, better used as food for the mycelium...”

The reptilian was certainly more intimidating. While his equipment and technique was simple, he more than made up for it with raw speed and strength. The scout had lasted a little longer against him than the first two, but there was very little left of it afterwards.

“So far removed from its mewling kobold cousins. How could something so powerful come from such worthless stock? It will make a fine puppet if its body can be preserved…”

Finally there was that noblewoman mage. While she certainly did not look like much, Caleb knew that this must be some kind of illusion or simulacrum sent by the true resident of her room. The scout sent to her room was toyed with for days with raw strength and magical prowess before it finally disintegrated from the abuse.

“Such a fine specimen. Its strength and magic would make an invaluable addition to our collection. With its abilities, perhaps we would be able to challenge the rest of these wretches-”

“Would you stop doing that? Could we at least get to know them first?” Caleb retorted to himself before being pulled back to reality by the booming voice of Usaphaidos. The master of the Pyramid was the most mysterious tenant of all, as the mycelium would not grow into his room, likely something to do with his position of-

“ABYSSAL PHARAOH, AND GOD OF DEATH!”

Caleb listened thoughtfully as the fledgling god told of his plans. It appeared that everyone in the Pyramid, including the lofty God of Death and his reaper servant, were once servants of something even greater. However, whatever had transported the Pyramid to an alpine forest had also put everyone out of the reach of this great power and free to pursue whatever goals they wished.

“He’s so very loud and annoying, but if he were in charge of everything, maybe there wouldn’t be as many people tearing up nature…”

“...and there will be plenty of dead to gather strength from. Rot follows death after all…”

“Well Mr. Usaphaidos, if you can help nature come back as a part of your plan, I think we can work together!”

"I intend to survey the outside of the pyramid. Anyone who wishes to do the same are welcome to follow. No harm will come to those under my watch, no matter the circumstances we find ourselves in."

“I’ll come! It’s been forever since I’ve got the chance to work with a real forest! Deserts aren’t fun for fungi like me!” Caleb replied enthusiastically to the kobold, raising and waving his hand, “Ooh I can’t wait to smell the fresh air!”

Seeing him like this - with her own thoughts and feelings - was a new experience entirely.

There was a brief scripted encounter where adventurers would stumble upon Asiya feeding information to Usaphaidos, but that was those same numbers and letters she had to work through tens of thousands of times. In proper person, being in the presence of the aspiring god of death was something completely different. He had - appropriately for a good leader - summarized what was happening quickly, cleanly, and concisely. The Pyramid and everyone in it had been transported to a new world, but the cause was up in the air. The first order of business then was to figure out where they were, and get a feel for their surroundings.

"I intend to survey the outside of the pyramid. Anyone who wishes to do the same are welcome to follow. No harm will come to those under my watch, no matter the circumstances we find ourselves in."

“I’ll come! It’s been forever since I’ve got the chance to work with a real forest! Deserts aren’t fun for fungi like me!”

"I'm coming as well," Asiya added. "If we truly are in a new world, that makes it difficult for me to fulfill my goals, so I'd like to find a new one in its place." Indeed, how was she to conquer Kallir for herself if Kallir was not in this world? She opted to not add it in, but a feeling she had told Asiya that having an actual proper human tag along would be a good idea. Diplomacy was an invaluable skill and a powerful tactic, after all, even if she was typically more of the "blow it up" type. But doing that first thing in a new world seemed foolish, to say the least, lest they wanted the adventurers of the world to unite against them.

Tethanor found this revelation amusing. Being flung to another universe was not a new experience for her, however, considering the fact that were not currently being infused with negative energy was a definite upgrade from the last time this happened to her. She nodded to her Overlord. She then looked to Vorpu and said, "I have a few things to prepare first. I will meet you at the entrance to this Pyramid. " The Ancient Dragon exited  the chamber on that note, simply walking down the long flights of stairs, pondering her next move.

While she walked down the stairs, she pondered her next move. Moving outside of Usaphidos's circle would not be wise, at least, not at first. Her first task is to scour this land, and garner allies in this world. Perhaps she could take up her old mantle using shapeshifting to mimic what she once was, manipulating things behind the scenes. But that would come later. The time was now, to feel the sun on her back, and the wind beneath her wings, and claim the world as their's. 'Who knows what other beings might I find? I desire the taste of lore and stories as I once did.'

Her champion, Thorn, was waiting for her. The Red Half-Dragon was always a welcome sight, seen in his armor and mighty red scales. The Half Dragon did not speak, but it was fairly obvious what he wanted. Orders.

"Keep standing here and prevent our men from leaving. I must inform my people of what has happened."  Thorn nodded and let her pass as Kobolds frantically tried to pass Thorn, but stopped when they saw her. She walked over to the throne she sat on and waited for her people to finally stop there chatter, and addressed them not as slaves, but as siblings in arms.

"PEOPLE OF THIS SECTOR! We are No Longer Trapped Above the Abyss, with Endless Amounts of Adventurers Coming to Slaughter Us! No, we are now Masters of Our Own Fate, in a New World, where we are free to do as we wish without the whims of people on the Outside! I intend to search this new world with the aid of the Floor Bosses! With Hope, we can create a new world for ourselves and your families! For now, stay here, and begin to dream. For there is much to do once we survey this land."

There was a roar of shouts and yells, in which Tethanor decided to leave behind her. She began her walk to the entrance, and simply waited around the corner from said entrance, waiting to see it with her own eyes with the rest of the her fellow bosses.

6wY5CpZ.png

iU8EggM.png

"USAPHAIDOS! ABYSSAL PHARAOH, AND GOD OF DEATH!"

As expected, the royal highness of this pyramid, Usaphaidos, was in rare form. Most likely due to his joy of finding that this world no longer had it's shackles on him...but at the same time, another individual spoke: Jacques De'ville, a reaper. He would be a Grim Reaper in Nassor's eyes, but unfortunately, he was still in training, so there was no point in giving him such a title that he hadn't earned yet. Nevertheless, the reaper gave a suggestion that actually held merit: they weren't in the world they once were...this was completely new.

The more Nassor thought about this prospect, the more he had to actually agree on it. By some force of magic and mysticism, they would be brought into a new realm...thusly freeing them from their shackles of 1's and 0's. It was a sound thought...

"No. Just the opposite. If you aren't in touch with the Grim Reaper, but have also not been promoted, that means we have been transported to a brand new world. This is our first step towards understanding our current circumstance. We have much to learn, about this place. And that is my mission I give to you Floor Guardians. Your first order from Usaphaidos: Determine where we have found ourselves! You are all dismissed for now. You may ask me anything you desire, if you wish. But, let us make haste."

There it was: the mission. And it seemed like a good number of these Floor Guardians had the same thought of venturing forth from the pyramid to seek what these lands have to offer to them and their Pharaoh. Of course, Nassor had every intention to join the Kobold, Vorpu, and his little posse on this excursion, but first thing was first.

"I have a question, yer majesty." Nassor's voice crackled, holding up a hand quickly to have the being acknowledge him. "Nassor Khnurn, Scourge of the Graysins. Now I understand what this little mission ya presented us Floor Guardians with and that's all fine and dandy. But I reckon there's a specific way ya want us to conduct ourselves. I have no doubt that ya wouldn't mind if yer posse of Floor Guardians go in guns-a-blazin' to find answers fer this...but I'd prefer to get any specifics out the way early on."

With that said, Nassor crossed his arms and exhaled slowly, smoke seeming to be escaping from under his bandana. "Now, would ya prefer us to use force right out the gate or would ya prefer us to be discrete and use force when the situation calls for it."

Usaphaidos watched as those who stayed in the chamber seemed to worry about their newfound freedoms.  Usaphaidos could not judge them, this was a whole new experience.  Vorpu the Ascendant was the first to get a party together to survey the outside world.  The Kobold people he protected in his domain were the most hardworking bunch, so it stood to reason that the dragon amongst them would be the first to take action above all others.  

"A wonderful idea Vorpu.  May the Abyss protect you from the light."  He commended his warrior.  

"I have a question, yer majesty." The Pharaoh's canide ears perked up beneath his helmet. "Nassor Khnurn, Scourge of the Graysins."  He knew the name of this mercenary well.  Any mortal that could stand before Usaphaidos was worthy of recognition.  "Now I understand what this little mission ya presented us Floor Guardians with and that's all fine and dandy. But I reckon there's a specific way ya want us to conduct ourselves. I have no doubt that ya wouldn't mind if yer posse of Floor Guardians go in guns-a-blazin' to find answers fer this...but I'd prefer to get any specifics out the way early on.  Now, would ya prefer us to use force right out the gate or would ya prefer us to be discrete and use force when the situation calls for it."

The thought of opposition never really crossed his mind.  They were foreign to these lands, so provoking the natives would not be a good idea for the time being.  

"An excellent question, Nassor."  He placed a finger in the space between them.  "For now, we are not to engage any sentient being in this new realm.  We are to gather as much information as possible."  He placed a hand on his head, retreating the other.  "Although, if it must come to self-preservation, I demand that you deal with any incoming threat swiftly and without mercy."  His hands spread out to each side.  "After all, we do not know if we can still come back from the dead the same way we did before.  Even though I'm a god of death, Resurrection is not something that can be done so easily.  Unless you'd like to become a mummy!"  Usaphaidos laughed.  The mummy at his side did the same, albeit slower and more forced.  "I shall remain here for the time.  But worry not, I shall watch over all of your endeavors."  The Pharaoh turned away, and gave the mercenary a wave.  As he came back towards his throne, thoughts were racing through his mind.  "Leading in real time is quite the task...Am I any good at this?"

As Usaphaidos walked away from Nassor, Jacques began to approach him.

"What a lame ass."  The adolescent grim reaper groaned.  "Can't we just start the assault now?  Who cares if mortals find out we're here?  We'll just wipe them out like we always have."  He put his arm around Nassor's neck.  "Say, how's about we scout together, Nassor?  And by scout, I mean reap a few souls!"  The grin that traced Jacques mouth was rather intense.  

Meanwhile, a small blot of shadows seemed to inch it's way towards Vorpu, Caleb, and Asiya.  Merging from the floor, it morphed into some adorable creature, clad in bones.  It looked at Vorpu with awe.  

"Are you guys actually going outside!?"  It croaked in a low tone.  "I'm coming with!  I've never been outside!"  

6wY5CpZ.png

iU8EggM.png

"An excellent question, Nassor. For now, we are not to engage any sentient being in this new realm. We are to gather as much information as possible. Although, if it must come to self-preservation, I demand that you deal with any incoming threat swiftly and without mercy. After all, we do not know if we can still come back from the dead the same way we did before. Even though I'm a god of death, Resurrection is not something that can be done so easily. Unless you'd like to become a mummy! I shall remain here for the time.  But worry not, I shall watch over all of your endeavors."

Nassor simply gave a courteous nod and slight bow to the Pharaoh, hearing the answer he was pretty much assuming would be the case. After all, this was common knowledge for anyone in the mercenary field. You gather information without engaging any of the potential targets or those who have ties with the potential targets. And if things go awry...dead or alive they'd be coming with them. As Nassor watched Usaphaidos walk away from him, he would find that he would be approached by the reaper...of all people.

"What a lame ass. Can't we just start the assault now? Who cares if mortals find out we're here? We'll just wipe them out like we always have. Say, how's about we scout together, Nassor? And by scout, I mean reap a few souls!"

He looked in the direction of Jacques after his arm was around his neck. His eyes began to flare up with a strong fire. "Son...it's almost like ya didn't hear a word our superior said." Nassor commented, his voice crackling more with each word. "Them is the orders and I will be keepin' them to the letter. After all, I'm a mercenary under employment of the Pharaoh...therefore, my first priority is makin' sure my employer is satisfied with my work. Enough said."

Nassor was quite serious about this. So try as the young reaper would, it was obvious the Fire Genasi was standing firm on this statement.

"However..." he paused, moving his hand to push the young'n's hand away from his shoulder. "I reckon I could be persuaded to follow ya and scout out. Vorpu can take his posse and search an area...and we can search another. But lemme reiterate one thing, son...we are scouting and nothing more. If the situation calls for it...then we eliminate the opposition. Are we clear?"

With his master's blessing, Vorpu was ready to begin the trek to the outside of the pyramid. Before he knew it, several had taken him up on his offer and decided to join him for the journey. First was the small boy Caleb. One Vorpu knew very little about yet did not intend to brush aside as nonthreatening simply based off of his appearance. In fact, the front of innocence likely made him all the more lethal. But there was little reason to harbor distrust for any of the pyramids denizens at the moment so he attempted to brush his concerns aside. Next was Asiya, a human woman. For her to be standing here meant she must have been fearsome indeed and the presence of another warrior was somehow comforting to the kobold. Then as the trio began moving a shadow moved along the floor. Up from it sprang a creature with a skull for a face that seemed almost made of the shadows itself. The awe in its face as it looked at him was not lost on Vorpu and it seemed thrilled with the idea of seeing the outside. He could understand the sentiment. Prior to his outlandish training he had never left the pyramid himself, it was quite something leaving the place for the first time.

"Good to have you all with me." he started by addressing the group now with him. It was a strange feeling to stand at the head of them as something of a leader. How long had been fighting alone for vengeance of a fallen people? His tail flicked some with a spark of happiness that almost reached his face. But the time for levity was later, when they had a better idea of what was going on. In any case, he began walking again, his scaled and clawed feet making distinct clacking sounds on the stone floors as he did so, to keep the group moving along as they made their way to the outside. "As you may have heard from Lord Usaphaidos, I am Vorpu. So long as you all stay close by I can promise your protection. My powers haven't left me despite this grand change in the world so that's at least one constant we can count on." he offered as an introduction to the group. He doubted they much wanted to know anything about him and it was far more likely the current circumstances had everyone on edge. Safety at the least was one mental comfort he could provide to them all.

“I'm coming as well. If we truly are in a new world, that makes it difficult for me to fulfill my goals, so I'd like to find a new one in its place.”

“Yay! The more the merrier! It’s going to be like a proper camping trip!” Caleb said gleefully before his voice suddenly got lower, “Maybe we could make some more...friends...along the way.

As Vorpu and Asiya departed from the meeting of the Pyramid Guardians, Caleb tapped his mount, urging it to follow his new compatriots. Despite its many legs, the creature had to speed up to a trot to keep up with the two warriors. As he caught up, he heard Vorpu addressing him and Asiya.

“Good to have you all with me. As you may have heard from Lord Usaphaidos, I am Vorpu. So long as you all stay close by I can promise your protection. My powers haven't left me despite this grand change in the world so that's at least one constant we can count on.”

“Oh yea, I didn’t tell you my name either! I’m Caleb, and I have a friend inside my head named Zuggs! He sometimes likes to talk through me sometimes, so don’t be too surprised when my voice goes all deep and spooky!”

Caleb then raised his hand, commanding the sparse fungus within the dungeon walls to grow, causing the entire hallway to illuminate with a dim blue light.

“My powers seem to be working in this new world too! I control ALL the mushrooms and can make the plants and mushrooms grow really BIG!” Caleb continued, emphasizing his last word by making the glowing mushrooms grow larger, causing their light to shine like little torches.

“Once I get outside, I’ll be able to do even bigger and better stuff with all the local mushrooms! Maybe we could even give the people of the world a nice gift basket!”

In his excitement, Caleb urged his mount to overtake the two. However, the mount suddenly stopped as a little shadow creature emerged from the floor.

“Are you guys actually going outside!? “I'm coming with!  I've never been outside!”

“Okie dokie new friend! Strength in numbers right?”

Edited by Otaku-sama

"Good to have you all with me. As you may have heard from Lord Usaphaidos, I am Vorpu. So long as you all stay close by I can promise your protection. My powers haven't left me despite this grand change in the world so that's at least one constant we can count on."

“Oh yea, I didn’t tell you my name either! I’m Caleb, and I have a friend inside my head named Zuggs! He sometimes likes to talk through me sometimes, so don’t be too surprised when my voice goes all deep and spooky! My powers seem to be working in this new world too! I control ALL the mushrooms and can make the plants and mushrooms grow really BIG!”

"Asiya A'kallir," the traitor princess said, introducing herself to the group she would be working with. Thinking back to her wing of the pyramid, she added "It seems like I'm still fully functional too. Swordsmanship and necromancy are my forte." A kobold, and a boy with a mushroom in his head, among other things. How the most trusted guardians of Lord Usaphaidos and his pyramid wound up being such a ragtag group was beyond her. A kobold? How? It was... probably best not to linger on that too much. If and when he got himself killed, Asiya could put his corpse to use. Somehow. Maybe as target practice.

"If we're to go scouting, we shouldn't waste any time and get moving. I have to admit, I am curious about where we are." Another desert of some sort would be ideal. Maybe less so for the mushroom boy. But surely there were ways to circumvent that problem. Decaying bodies were good hosts for fungi, right?

"As you may have heard from Lord Usaphaidos, I am Vorpu. So long as you all stay close by I can promise your protection. My powers haven't left me despite this grand change in the world so that's at least one constant we can count on."

“Okie dokie new friend! Strength in numbers right?”

"If we're to go scouting, we shouldn't waste any time and get moving. I have to admit, I am curious about where we are."

"M-m-me too!"  The small glob of shadow responded rather sheepishly.  "I may not be a floor guardian, but I know my way around the Pyramid like the back of my hand!  I  can get us to the surface in a jiffy!"  The small creature leaped and bounded out of the throne room, and towards the outer hall, prompting the rest to follow.  After navigating the deepest crypts, they came upon a large circular tube that shot straight up.  The creature stuck his hand inside, showing that the solid black pillar had a permeable layer to it.  With his hands halfway through the side, he jerked his head in the pillar's direction.  "This is the abyssal lift!  I know most of you probably know this already, but we're on the bottom layer of the pyramid!  The 99th floor!  This elevator can take us to any floor in an instant!"  He walked into the pillar entirely, and waited for the others.  Upon their arrival inside the lift. the creature giggled.  "Intruders need a pass from a floor guardian to get to the next level of the pyramid."  He squished his cheeks together as he blushed.  "Heheheh so cruel of Master Usaphaidos to make tomb raiders fight that hard!  That's why I love him!  Heheheh!"  

As they all would step into the lift, they would feel themselves being rocketed into the air.  Their guide was smushed against the translucent as it ascended to the top, though the others wouldn't feel much due to their vast strength.  Once they had made it to the top, they would walk out  of the pyramid to find a rather simple looking set of granite stairs.  Walking up them, and moving a stone slab out of the way, they would find themselves in the first floor's only room in the pyramid.  It looked extremely plain, and only held a large stone Sarcophagus in the image of Usaphaidos, which they had emerged from.  

"Make sure to put the top back on!"  The creature exclaimed.  Light was shining from the outside world through a crack in the tomb's barely open door.  The shadow moved the stone out of the way, unleashing more light.  It hissed a bit upon seeing the rays of a sun.  "Yuck!  So this is outside?!  Terrible!"  Begrudgingly, the creature made its way outside of the tomb, stepping onto the lush grass that lay outside.  The scenery was so new to him, that he had to take a breath for once in his undead life.  The small tip of the Abyssal Pyramid lay at the base of the crag before him, and the rest was surrounded on all sides by forest.  Taking a few whiffs of the air around them, the creature came back to the others.  "I smell a fire not too far from here...we could go check that out if you guys wanna..."  

"I reckon I could be persuaded to follow ya and scout out. Vorpu can take his posse and search an area...and we can search another. But lemme reiterate one thing, son...we are scouting and nothing more. If the situation calls for it...then we eliminate the opposition. Are we clear?"

"Sheesh old timer!  I thought you were an outlaw or somethin'!"  Jacques shrugged.  "Ain't ya...I don't know...supposed to out the law?"  He looked towards the gunslinger, who most certainly did not wear the most enthused expression in the abyss.  "Fine, whatever!  But even if I egg 'em on they're fair game!  Hahah!"  The young scythe wielder let out a laugh, before heading towards the Throne Room doors.  "How do we even get to the top by the way?"  The boy asked.  "I don't really remember gettin' in or out of this place..."  From behind, the shuffling of bandages could be heard.  The two would turn to the side to see the Mummy from before, pointing to the left hallway after the Throne Room doors.  

"Staaaaaiiiiirssss..."  It moaned.  Jacques looked frustrated with the response.  

"You're telling the Grim Reaper to take the stairs!?  Your insolence knows no bounds!"  Jacques began to swing his scythe to cleave the Mummy in half, but was interrupted by Usaphaidos, who had teleported in the path of the Scythe's trajectory.  Usaphaidos held the blade between his fingers, flicking it away.  Jacques grunted, as his Scythe flew away to the side.  

"All denizens of the Abyssal Pyramid are under my rule and protection.  You'd do well to remember this Jacques."  

With another grunt, Jacques lifted his hand up as the Scythe flew back towards his hand.  

"Yes, Lord Usaphaidos."  He shot a glance towards Nassor and left the Throne Room in a hurry, turning to the left and walking towards the stairs.  After the two of them had left, Usaphaidos looked at the Mummy, and stroked his chin.

"That was rather cruel of you...did you make those stairs just now?"  Usaphaidos chuckled.  "What need would I have for stairs in a pyramid...truly you are a cruel undead."  The Mummy could only grunt in response.  

After some time, the duo would find themselves emerging from a side passage, which split apart the right wall of the first floor. Light was already seeping into the tomb, as Jacques had to shield his eyes for a brief moment.  

"So there it is, huh?  A brand new world, ripe for the taking!"  Jacques readied himself, before bursting into a full out run.  Bolting past the other party, He found himself on the side of a large lake.  "Nassor shouldn't have trouble keeping up with me, right?  He'll miss out on all the fun if he doesn't!"  The Grim reaper kicked his heels together, as he sat on the grip of his scythe, riding it like a witch would her broom.  He bolted across the lake, taking flight, until he caught site of something standing in the middle.  Someone, clad in armor, stood on top of the water, watching as Jacques approached.  Jacques clenched his teeth, as he headed straight towards the person with killer intent.  

6wY5CpZ.png

iU8EggM.png

"Sheesh old timer! I thought you were an outlaw or somethin'! Ain't ya...I don't know...supposed to out the law? Fine, whatever!  But even if I egg 'em on they're fair game! Hahah!"

Old Timer? How someone of his age would be considered "Old Timer" was beyond him. However, he kept his whole demeanor under wraps (or in this case under his scarf), especially when Usaphaidos made Jacques' attack null and void after the undead mummy gave forth stairs to assist them in leaving. As Jacques hurried off ahead of him, Nassor simply nodded at both the undead and Usaphaidos, giving them a two finger salute before heading off.

Once he and Jacques emerged from the pyramid, the light from this new world meeting them almost instantly, Nassor saw the Grim Reaper bolting off without him. The Gunslinger stood there, watching him do this. Always the first to rush off for things...ya'd think he'd slow up just a bit. he thought, rolling his shoulders some. Nassor was pretty much going to take his time in following the kid, but something immediately made him change his mind.

He could see something that Jacques was heading towards: an individual clad in armor and standing on top of the water. Nassor clicked his tongue some, before shaking his head. "...I reckon that kid just don't listen..." he said, beginning to take a sprint after the scythe happy idiot. Once he passed clear of the other party, Nassor threw his hands back behind him and immediately blasted himself forward with the aid of his Fire Magic. He began to cover more and more ground, blasting fire and small explosions behind him, being able to get himself get near the reaper, only to forcefully kick him in the side to avoid him from doing something stupid.

This is gonna be my entire time with this kid, ain't it? Nassor thought, exhaling heavily.

With his comrades in agreement, and the small creature of shadows eager to accompany, Vorpu made his way with them toward the surface. As the small creature explained, they were now on the deepest part of the pyramid, they would need to ascend to the very top to find what the outside was like. The abyssal lift was to be their mode of transport. Vorpu felt the incredible speed at which they began moving but oddly felt little resistance. The small skull faced creature meanwhile seemed to fair much worse than the others, but it wasn't that long of a ride to endure before they had come to a stop upon ariving at the first floor of the pyramid. The group ascended the steps and Vorpu moved the stone slab out of the way for the others, staying behind to put it back in place once they had passed. This brought them to the large, almost barren room with a tribute to Usaphaidos. The kobold knew the floor well as his kind were only ever commonly found in the top few floors of the Pyramid.

"Almost exactly as I remember it and yet..." he pondered aloud as he took notice of the light creeping in from the entrance to the pyramid. Something about it felt different. It beckoned to the kobold, inviting him to a world unknown to explore. As the creature cracked the door open, Vorpu would eventually step forward. Before his eyes was a previously unknown beauty. A lush green forest, the grass was incredibly welcoming to his bare feet. in such stunning light the kobold looked over his own nude form, his scales dull and lifeless feeling in comparison to the deep saturated colors around them. He spent a good minute in simple awe of every direction around them before the creature spoke of fire.

"Fire?" Vorpu questioned but began sniffing himself. "Yes, I see. Perhaps a sign of civilization in this strange new place. Or nothing more than a forest fire. But in any case let us proceed with caution. I do not desire to fight whoever we may encounter but I'm far from willing to believe all is well." he counseled with the group as he began making his way in the direction of the fire.

Tethanor was losing her patience. She had made time to talk with the sentient creatures that viewed her as a goddess in mortal flesh and make it on the first floor in less time it took for them to even show up. How DARE they insult her with such a rude gesture. She was about to enter this new world when a hidden door appeared next to the statue of the Pharaoh, with the other Floor Bosses being led by a small shadowy creature, undoubtedly a servant of the Death God.

Took you lot long enough. Come, for I wish to see what the light may have in store."

The shadow creature had been the one to push open the door open, with Vorpu directly behind them. The breeze blew through the door, not a grain of sand caught on it's trail. Following the fellow reptile, she stepped out on to the top of the pyramid, looking out on to the forest. She admired the view, however much it was infested with the light. 

'It is time to stretch my wings.' Tethanor thought to herself as she shapeshifted into her original form. She could feel her leathery wings stretch and contort as she reverted to what she was. 

"Pleasure to make your acquaintances." She said, looking back at the group. "You may call me Tethanor. Nothing else to say, except that you all are likely to stay on my good side as long as you are somewhat cooperative, and if you cough up a story or two. Now, if one of you would be interested in an aerial view, now would be the time to get atop my scales. But not you." Tethanor took special care to look at that flesh puppet controlled by the Mushroom Demon. She could guess what the thoughts were in that demon's head. The eyes were too dark and shifty, and they widened and shrank too familiarly, similar eyes to her own. The eyes of a predator and murderer. She pointed her talon at the spore vessel.

"NEVER you or your other mushroom friends, you got that?"

Edited by JellisOP

"M-m-me too! I may not be a floor guardian, but I know my way around the Pyramid like the back of my hand! I can get us to the surface in a jiffy!"

Caleb let out a little giggle as their shadowy guide skipped ahead, showing the way through the inky blackness of the pyramid’s corridors. Even though Asiya and Vorpu were acting serious, Caleb could feel their restrained excitement to see what the world outside had to offer. After what felt like an eternity of wandering through the darkness, their guide eventually stopped in front of a massive pillar at the Pyramid’s heart.

"This is the abyssal lift!  I know most of you probably know this already, but we're on the bottom layer of the pyramid!  The 99th floor!  This elevator can take us to any floor in an instant!" Intruders need a pass from a floor guardian to get to the next level of the pyramid. Heheheh so cruel of Master Usaphaidos to make tomb raiders fight that hard!  That's why I love him!  Heheheh!"

As his steed hobbled into the lift, Caleb craned his neck upwards, marvelling at how the lift stretched endlessly into the inky void above. The cyclopean inner space of the pyramid seemed large enough to encompass an entire kingdom, or an entire world of its own.

“Usaphaidos really made this all himself? He might be the god of stones and dirt as well huh?” Caleb mused aloud as the lift began its ascent.

As the lift accelerated ever faster, he felt himself slowly sinking into the cap of his mount, which was struggling to stand against the interminable acceleration. After only a few seconds of this, Caleb felt his mount’s legs give with a sickening squish, causing him to fall into a pile of freshly crushed fungus. By the time the lift reached its destination, Caleb was soaked by the juices of his former companion.

“Oh jeez, that’s too bad,” he said nonplussed, removing stray bits of mushroom from his robe, “Well, no point in letting him go to waste!”

Tapping the wet mound of destroyed mushroom with his hand, the mass deflated into a pile of sticky spores. Caleb promptly started shoving clumps of the substance into his pack, spreading it around the elevator platform and down the elevator shaft before following Vorpu and their shadowy companion to the entrance. As he crossed the threshold, he was hit with a blast of pale sunlight and chilly mountain air. While the air was dry, the smell of the nearby pine forest suggested the great potential of the surrounding nature.

“Wooooow! Look at all that!” Caleb said, throwing the spores he had in his hands up into the air in excitement, “It’s like it goes on forever! I can grow all kinds of stuff here!”

Caleb was so enchanted by the surrounding forest, he didn’t notice that the noblewoman had joined the group until she revealed her true form, suddenly blocking his view with her massive wings.

“Hey! I’m looking at the forest here!”

“Ah, our senses do not betray us...Such a powerful specimen…”

"Pleasure to make your acquaintances. You may call me Tethanor. Nothing else to say, except that you all are likely to stay on my good side as long as you are somewhat cooperative, and if you cough up a story or two. Now, if one of you would be interested in an aerial view, now would be the time to get atop my scales. But not you."

Caleb, who was leaning over trying to look at the forest past Tethanthor’s massive form, now felt the pointed ire of the dragon on him.

“NEVER you or your other mushroom friends, you got that?"

“Well fine! If you want to be that way! I prefer to stay on the ground with all the cool trees and plants and animals anyway!” he retorted indignantly before sticking his tongue out the dragon in protest.

"I smell a fire not too far from here...we could go check that out if you guys wanna..."

"Fire? Yes, I see. Perhaps a sign of civilization in this strange new place. Or nothing more than a forest fire. But in any case let us proceed with caution. I do not desire to fight whoever we may encounter but I'm far from willing to believe all is well. "

“Well I’ll just be walking there then, because someone is being a big OLD dummy!” Caleb said, turning his nose up at the dragon before heading towards a nearby slope down the mountain.