Sign in to follow this  
Sleepy

Mystical Eye of the Space Typhoon

Mystical Eye of the Space Typhoon
[Quick-Play Spell]

Target 1 Spell/Trap on the field; destroy it. Then, if it was a face-up Spell, negate the effect of cards with that card's name until the end of the turn.

- - - - -

So here's another option for S/T removal. Twin Twister covers the x2 destruction for a discard. Cosmic Cyclone covers the better removal (banishing) but for 1k LP. In terms of 1 for 1 removal that only destroys, Artifact Ignition, or the Traps (Heavy Storm Duster and Paleozoic Olenoides). Soooo I guess a pure and simple MST effect is no longer really all that ground-breaking.

I wanted to go for a "Called by the Grave" effect, but not one that could affect Normal Traps, as they are already a bit underused nowadays... though still not fully on board with that idea because the decks that DO use it like Altergeist, are some of the last things I want to give an edge to.

The flavor is that in the eye of a storm, everything is quiet while the tempest is still raging on around it, so in this card's case it'd prevent the effect from coming out of the eye zone as it'd be swept away by the typhoon around it.

A Called by the Grave for Spells, huh. Now this is something cool. And clever too! Like, it's such an straightforward or intuitive concept that I'm surprised anyone else, including me, hadn't come up with it before. Or as least I haven't seen anyone make a card like this. And I find amusing how this can actually negate Normal or Quick-Play Spells if you catch them with this, making the old "MST negates" meme actually true.

IMO it effectively does fill a niche compared to the other mentioned backrow coverage cards. It's even useful against floaty Spells too, as their GY effects should be negated as well.

Double post but I recently realized this outright outclasses MST, which isn't as cool because MST remains relevant and sees some use in formats because it doesn't cost LP like Cosmic Cyclone does and that LP cost can make a difference in a tournament setting due to the time rules. A way that a card like this would be acceptable IMO is if MST gets some kind of support down the line, similar to the case of MF AFAIK, which was first outclassed by the elemental MF, then later got some support.