Sign in to follow this  
Summer Darj

[Written] Spellstrike

Spellstrike
Quick-Play Spell
If a Spell Card or effect is activated: Banish 1 Spell from your GY; negate the activation, and if you do, banish it. You can banish this card from your GY; Special Summon 1 "Spell Striker" from your Deck or GY. You can only use this effect of "Spellstrike" once per turn.

Made this almost on the spot, but with the intent of making it serious. "Spell Striker" is card often in my mind because a certain someone likes to play around and tinker with it (e.g. making Spells with effects that trigger when banished from the GY, like by Spell Striker), so randomly thought on making support for it. Then I realized that there aren't as many non-Counter Trap Spell negators that you can activate on your turn, which would come in handy to counter-respond to negation Spells such as Called By the Grave and Crossout Designator, as well as other board-breaking spells such as Ruler No More and Raigeki Storm. That's where the idea of an SS2 Spell negator came in. also inspired by "My Body as a Shield". However, I added the condition and cost of another Spell in GY to not make it ready-to-use as well as to further tie it to Spell Striker from a flavor standpoint. Likewise, the GY effect simulates Spell Striker's summoning condition, but from a flavor standpoint, it reflects Spell Striker summoning itself directly from the Deck. Note that you don't need Spell Striker at all to play this for its first effect, but it would be a welcomed bonus if you do. Plus the effect picks it from both Deck and GY so a single copy should suffice.

Thoughts?

Edited by Darj

"while you have a Spell in your GY" part sounds redundant. You can't activate it if you can't pay the cost of banishing a Spell in GY.
If a Spell is activated: Banish 1 Spell in your GY; negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.

You know something that could be cool as Spell Striker support? If it could get something that banishes a Spell from the field/GY, getting Scales and stuff like Shaddoll Fusion out of the way.

I always liked Spell Striker, complimenting material for Rank 3s early on Xyz era's life and as Synchro Material when Special Summons were rarer, and you can always turn A Warrior Returning Alive into it. Plus the combo with the Armor Breaker Union where it attacks directly with its own effect and then the Union pops a card. Both casually are mah boi Jaden's cards.

Plus, I'm a sucker for when you can Inferno Reckless a monster with its own effect xD

All in all, not a bad concept as it counters some key plays like Called by the Grave. The Spell in GY might be an issue during your opening play but it should be quick to become live.

Yeah, I can shorten the text. It was a leftover from my rushed text draft and was too lazy to polish it. I didn't even format it as I usually do.
IMO I can slightly improve it and make it negate Spell effects as well, just for the handful of relevant Spell effects in the GY or from Cont. Spells already on the field. Will also throw in a banishing removal to disrupt the Spells negated in the GY. The buffs shouldn't break anything.
As for the idea of banishing a card already on field or GY... well, sounds like it's better left for a different card altogether.

Edited by Darj