Sign in to follow this  
SecondSeraphim

Retrain contest

A. Theme/Task

Retrains of older cards!

Specifically, I want people to submit retrains of older cards. 1 card per person, UNLESS the retrain is a Ritual Monster, in which case they may also submit a Ritual Spell to go with it. In this case, the two cards will be judged jointly.

B. Entry requirements

No fees! No required levels! Let me see what you've got!

Please list the original card that the retrain is based off of within brackets before the retrain. Ie, [Hungry Burger]

C. Deadline

Deadline is 1/18/19 (dd/mm/yy) at 5:00pm CST, with the results of the contest being made available sometime the following day!

D. Prizes

All entries get a like for the effort. Winning card gets 3 reps!

E. Your judging criteria

Generated cards are not required and won't contribute toward judging. Just listing your cards name/stats/effect is enough. Points will be given based on creativity, how well the effects of the retrain reflect the original. I'll  post an example retrain below. Don't worry though, it won't be eligible for my own contest!

Edited by SecondSeraphim

[Chimera the Flying Mythical Beast]

Chimera the Undead Mythical Beast

WIND/Zombie/Fusion

2 Zombie monsters

If this card is destroyed by battle or by an opponent's card effect, you can target 1 non-Fusion Zombie-monster in your GY; Special Summon that target. You can only activate this effect of "Chimera the Undead Mythical Beast" once per turn. Inflicts piercing damage.

I'm in.

Lightray Diabolos
LIGHT/Dragon/Effect/Level 7
2800/1000
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having 3 or more LIGHT monsters in your GY. Once per turn: You can banish 1 LIGHT monster from your GY, then target 1 card your opponent controls; if that card is Set, reveal it, also place it on either the top or bottom of the Deck. This effect can be activated as a Quick Effect if you have 5 or more LIGHT monsters with different names in your GY.

Lycanthrope/Synthesis Spell

Lycanthrope
EARTH - Level 6 - Beast-Warrior/Ritual/Effect - 2400/1800

You can Ritual Summon this card with "Synthesis Spell". You must send 1 Normal Monster from your Deck to the GY to declare an attack with this card. If this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: Inflict 200 damage to your opponent for each Normal Monster in your GY. If this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can target 1 Normal Monster in your GY; Special Summon it, but shuffle it into the Deck when it leaves the field.

Synthesis Spell
Ritual Spell

This card is used to Ritual Summon "Lycanthrope" from your hand or GY. You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field whose total Levels equal 6 or more. If this card was not sent to the GY this turn: You can shuffle this card and up to 9 Normal Monsters from your GY into your Deck; draw 1 card, then draw 1 card for every 3 monsters shuffled into your Deck this way.

Yeet

Meltiel, Hermit within the Lair

DARK

Fairy/Effect

1600/1200

If a DARK monster is Tributed: you can have 1 monster on the field lose 1000 ATK/DEF. If you control "Lair of Darkness" when this effect is activated, you can also send 1 other card on the field to the GY. If this card is the only monster you control (Quick Effect): You can Tribute 1 DARK monster; this card gains that monster's ATK until the End Phase. You can only use each effect of "Meltiel, Hermit within the Layer" once per turn.

Well heres my entry.

Trinity Construct - Gate Guardian 
lv 11 DARK
Warrior/Fusion/Effect
3 Level 5 or higher Monsters with different Types and Attributes
Must be Fusion Summon by sending the listed Fusion Materials you control to the GY (You do not use "Polymerization".) During damage calculation in your opponents turn, if this card is being attacked: you can target the attacking monster; make that targets ATK 0 during damage calculation only (This is a Quick Effect.) When this card leaves the field, you can Special Summon 3 Level 5 or higher monsters from your GY with different Types and Attributes in Defence Position. You can only activate each effect of "Trinity Construct - Gate Guardian" once per turn.
ATK/3750 DEF/3400

Edited by Thomas★Zero

You mentioned Hungry Burger.  I suppose I'm contractually obligated to at least comment in the thread ?.

Anywhoozles, here's my entry. Based off [Zone Eater]:

Zone Devourer
WATER *
Aqua/Effect
This card cannot be destroyed by battle.  If this card battles a monster, you can banish that monster at the end of the Damage Step.  Return that monster to the field during the 5th End Phase after it was banished.  Until that monster returns to the field, that Zone cannot be used.
250/200

Edited by Tinkerer

Lightray Diabolos doesn’t really meet the conditions of a retrain. There’s no new name, and its effect is basically just a slightly better version of its old effect without actually ding anything new. If I was scoring these out of 5, I’d have to give this a 1.

Lycanthrope/Synthesis Spell fail for the same reasons. Both are just slightly better copies of their base cards. I do like that you were wanting to support a Ritual monster that wasn’t even good in the first place, but I would have done something like this:

Savage Lycantrope

EARTH - Level 6 - Beast-Warrior/Ritual/Effect - 2400/1800

Ritual Summoned with Synthesis Spell. This card’s name is treated as “Lycantrope” while in/on your hand, field, or GY. Gains 200 ATK for each Normal monster in your GY.

Gene Synthesis               

Used to Ritual Summon "Lycanthrope". You must also Tribute monsters from your hand or field, or Normal monsters from your Deck, whose total Levels exactly equal 6. If a Beast-Warrior monster you control is destroyed, you can (Quick Effect): banish this card from your GY; Special Summon a Normal monster from your GY.

Overall, I’ll give it 2/5.

Meltiel, Hermit within the Lair is actually a very imaginative retrain! It serves as a “corrupted” version of Meltiel, Sage of the Sky and references the original card multiple times. First, in it’s “trigger” switching from the classic Counter Fairy trigger to the “tribute DARK” of “Lair of Darkness”. Second, in the 1000 ATK/DEF drop mirroring the original’s 1000 LP gain. Finally, the added card removal effect if you have a certain field spell. Overall a good retain. My only complaint is the final effect. Being able to tribute an OP’s monster to buff itself once a turn might just be too powerful an effect for a card that overall has no drawbacks. It is balanced out a bit though by all the effs being a HOPT, so I’ll let it slide. 4/5.

Not a lot I can say about Trinity Construct - Gate Guardian. Overall, it’s a really good card, though It bugs me that it doesn’t really do anything with the original pieces. That may just be my own bias though, as I did my own retrain of the series back on the other forum. Still though I can’t really find any faults with him, so 4/5.

Zone Devourer! Nice name. I’ll give you points for trying to work on what is basically one of the worst cards off all time, but the retrain you came up with is basically over powered. It  has the field blocking power of Ojamas, the removal of Eater of Millions/ Destiny HERO - Doom Lord – without being OPT I might point out, making it impossible to get rid of my battle effects.

I also want to give you a point for being the only person here to follow the judging criteria I put out regarding listing the name of the original card, so that gets to 3/5.

Now for picking a winner. We have a tie going in between the new Gate Guardian and the new Meltiel. While I can’t really find anything at fault with Guardian other than his lack of support for the original cards, I’m just gonna have to give the win to Meltiel, for being a retrain of something no one really expected. Good job BringerofEnd!