Comrade Duck

How Are You Passing the Time?

Most if not all of you should be quarantined by now and keeping your asses at home. So, besides video games, what are you doing to prevent yourself from going stir crazy?

Honestly my life hasn't changed much from before this. I did most things from home to begin with. I just do it more now. (especially living with elderly person can't risk anything)

Writing, watching shows, contemplating existence, same old same old.

Well, I'm pretty much a homebody... But I work at (the deli of) a grocery store, so I don't exactly get to stay home.

Spending time with my wonderful GFs, hanging out on discord, and working on a project that's been on/off for years.

Also trying to find the determination to finally learn how to code games and/or make music, but I always fall short of convincing myself.

My state has the official shelter-in-place order in effect, but only non-essential workers are in actual quarantine. The company I work for qualifies as an essential employer as a manufacturer of steel products, engineering firm, and supply chain. As such, I'm still going to work every day with business operating as usual, the only difference being everyone leaves an hour earlier than usual, all the doors are propped open so that no one has to touch the handles (except the bathrooms, of course), and management is insisting the 6-foot social distancing rule throughout the building. They had me move desks because of this, which is actually an upgrade for me, so I ain't complaining.

As for passing the time, literally nothing has changed. Besides video games, I'm just watching Youtube videos, browsing forums and lurking in chats. Occasionally I would help out my parents with remodeling the house and once a day we have "beer-thirty" out my the firepit (or the living room, depending on the weather.) Other than that, there's not really much going on in my life outside of work and signing contracts for a house which I will be closing out on in a couple weeks. Once that's out of the way, the real isolation will take place as it's been since before I moved back in.

Edited by Thar

19 minutes ago, Thar said:

My state has the official shelter-in-place order in effect, but only non-essential workers are in actual quarantine. The company I work for qualifies as an essential employer as a manufacturer of steel products, engineering firm, and supply chain. As such, I'm still going to work every day with business operating as usual, the only difference being everyone leaves an hour earlier than usual, all the doors are propped open so that no one has to touch the handles (except the bathrooms, of course), and management is insisting the 6-foot social distancing rule throughout the building. They had me move desks because of this, which is actually an upgrade for me, so I ain't complaining.

As for passing the time, literally nothing has changed. Besides video games, I'm just watching Youtube videos, browsing forums and lurking in chats. Occasionally I would help out my parents with remodeling the house and once a day we have "beer-thirty" out my the firepit (or the living room, depending on the weather.) Other than that, there's not really much going on in my life outside of work and signing contracts for a house which I will be closing out on in a couple weeks. Once that's out of the way, the real isolation will take place as it's been since before I moved back in.

I actually didn't know you were a part of an engineering firm. You say you're behind the desks and you mentioned contracts. Do you seek out clientele or do you manage contracts and manufacturing? Congrats on the job.

?

Just now, Dad said:

I actually didn't know you were a part of an engineering firm. You say you're behind the desks and you mentioned contracts. Do you seek out clientele or do you manage contracts and manufacturing?

I'm a designer, which more vaguely is a part of the engineering team. I create 3D models and submittal drawings based on concepts drawn by the clients. The only real difference is I'm more just creating a visual representation of concept designs based on how it will look after being manufactured. There's another part of engineering that actually creates all the individual parts precisely to be manufactured and assembled. On another note, you might've heard me mention contracts from my last job, which started out as contract work for 4 months before I was hired full-time. This job I have now started out full-time, which is nice.

?

Just now, Dad said:

Congrats on the job.

Thanks, bud! Glad I was able to find work again after moving back in with my parents. Was able to live rent free for a couple months, but that's about to change later next month. So pumped!

I won't say much on this, but I've been watching a lot of commentary channels lately. On that note, I highly recommend The Right Opinion's show (he's reasonable, don't worry) and EmpLemon. I also dabbled into Internet Historian, and while I like his style, I... don't really want to hear about 4chan's extremely indecent manner of handling itself when it comes to pranks. Unfortunately, a lot of his content probably covers that, because 4chan is so infamous.

Editor. My main source of income keeps me at home, got fired or had assignments dropped from teaching/serving. I am not really needed at the university either, since most of the classes I covered have been put online. I mostly worked as a TA, or support staff for the professors. So really, I am just reading and writing on most of my time. Been getting a lot more into theory than into actual literature lately. It takes me a lot more time to read books than it used to, since I don't have any time frame to read them in. It is pretty relaxing just staying in my house. I haven't done this since I was a freshman, and barely did it then.

Probably gonna get into baking my own bread soon. I just have to get a bread pan, keeping it simple and cheap since my main job covers mostly my essentials and I don't have much in the way of "spending income" right now. That is the biggest thing that sucks; I would be worse if I didn't have most of what I already need around the house.

Not much has changed for me. I still work; just a max of 45 hours instead of 48. At home? Just playing games, using the Internet, and drawing on my tablet. The only thing that's truly changed for me is buying fast food, pizza, and the like. And grocery shopping.